• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
They literally presented us with a list of the possible characters it could be. I'm telling you, it's 100% not a new character for a theoretical sequel. It's a character from the list they literally told us the character is from during the announcement.
My best guess is that they are technical complications.
That could easily just be placeholders. And they could have revealed said character through old footage. I mean, we didn¨t really see a model for Joker when he got revealed. But no matter who it is, and a sequel is announced.. yeah... and that¨s whats scares me. Especially when the Pokemon DLC is supposedly going to be released the same month we will know who it is.... -_-

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
All I was saying that pushing Arms like this all the sudden, within a timeframe that a sequel could be announced, does come off as a potential advertisement character. Especially when they don¨t want to mention WHO right now, be it a character from the potential sequel or first Arms (which begs the question, on why not tells us now then?)
I do recall actually.

Who says that the ARMS character has to be a new one in order to advertise a new game? I don't recall Icewolf ever saying that the ARMS character that's going to be revealed was going to be a new one.
Edit: also again 2 posts above me. Look at that.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
That could easily just be placeholders. And they could have revealed said character through old footage. I mean, we didn¨t really see a model for Joker when he got revealed. But no matter who it is, and a sequel is announced.. yeah... and that¨s whats scares me. Especially when the Pokemon DLC is supposedly going to be released the same month we will know who it is.... -_-
To be fair, it's still possible that a Gen 8 rep could be a fan favorite (like Toxtricity). Afterall, we got Byleth (main protag of base game) and not a DLC character for the 3H rep despite the 3H DLC coming out right then.

that was underwhelming.
Right? People thought the September direct was bad? This one easily overtakes that.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
"How is ARMS a shill pick when the game is 3 years old and didn't even perform that well?"

Right? It's not like throwing characters from a relatively underperforming franchise into Smash has ever paid off for Nintendo before. Fire Emblem's ascent in popularity and the inclusion of 200 Fire Emblem characters in Smash is pure coincidence.
I mean, was Fire Emblem underperforming in Japan when Melee came out?

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I think today went well for us because I honestly think the Arms rep will be like, 4 characters with a similar build in one, and at least one of those four will be a spirit, or even an AT if it’s springman

JudgeHeihachi

Smash Apprentice
Me too sort of. It did cross my mind that knowing Smash, there would be at least one character that would be mild and no one would expect, but I didn't expect it to be the first character. Not sure if that means more characters similar to this for the other 5, or if Nintendo just didn't wanna announce a huge character for a Mini Direct and they wanted to get this out of the way. The announcement raised so many questions. Guess it's time to count the days till June
My expectations were:
Pretty sure about: a Namco and a Koei-Tecmo rep
Might happen (two out of those three): a Capcom, Square or Microsoft rep
And either one or two Nintendo reps that would advertise a new game (like Byleth did before just for BotW2 or MP4 now)
And a character from a surprising company if we just got one Nintendo character.

Now this all changed, I really have no idea how many Nintendo characters will happen as I expected other characters to get in before an Arms rep. I'm still confident about a Namco and Tecmo character but every expectation feels a little more shaky now.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Not everything that comes out in June is automatically in smash. Good grief. And why use placeholders if they're not even saying who it is? They didn't need to give us a list at all.
So I'm guessing we're all in a good mood thank to this news?
We should be since this is great for Geno, but now everyone is upset because apparently any 1st party character is automatically a shill pick.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
To be fair, it's still possible that a Gen 8 rep could be a fan favorite (like Toxtricity). Afterall, we got Byleth (main protag of base game) and not a DLC character for the 3H rep despite the 3H DLC coming out right then.
My biggest issue is not Urushifu (although it would suck for reasons already mention).. But if Arms get¨s a sequel, and a Gen8 Pokemon gets revealed that month... What would that give off as a signal for the rest of the pack then??? You see what I¨m saying. I mean, it's not like they (and no offense to Arms fans) strong card that could remove a lot of people's bad taste after Byleth.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
My biggest issue is not Urushifu (although it would suck for reasons already mention).. But if Arms get¨s a sequel, and a Gen8 Pokemon gets revealed that month... What would that give off as a signal for the rest of the pack then??? You see what I¨m saying. I mean, it's not like they (and no offense to Arms fans) strong card that could remove a lot of people's bad taste after Byleth.
lol what if it's an inverse Fighter's Pass 1? First party characters up until a final third party character at the end.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Dude, nothing is pointing to Urshifu. Calm down. You're getting really upset over completely random baseless assumptions.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
So, ARMs has one assist trophy, two costumes, and 5 spirits. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.
Not to mention the Assist Trophy is all 3 and the Costume characters are also Spirits, so it's just a matter of if any of the Spirit characters are pick, they could also break down some additional barriers.

TBH though I'd say Min Min and Twintelle have the best chances since they only break Spirits deconfirm and not Mii Costumes or Assist Trophies too.

That's only if the ARMS rep is a new character in a supposed sequel. I'm still greatly leaning towards it being one of the 5 Spirits in the game as they're arguably some of the most popular picks, especially Twintelle or Min Min.

lol what if it's an inverse Fighter's Pass 1? First party characters up until a final third party character at the end.
WITH GENO BEING THE LAST ONE BAYBEEEE

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's not Waluigi but it's arguably better especially in the light now that settles the "would they really add two Mario characters in a row" conundrum." Basically we still got what we were hoping for in the end.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
But...

I could see multiple echoes, but unless ALTS are gonna suddenly start doing different things, I do not see another Bowser Jr. situation coming.
As I said in another post , they would probably choose the characters that have similar body types to Spring Man , like Ribbon Girl or Springtron.
For all we know , we might only get 4 characters as alts , and each with a recolor.

And at most , I could see alts having different visual/sound effects , but nothing that impact gameplay. Yeah , they might not fully respect what the characters are able to do ; The thing is , this will be an ARMS rep , they want to represent the franchise.
Just like how Ness can use PSI powers he can't learn , it's to better represent Earthbound as a game , rather than perfectly represent Ness , as a character. (Or how Lucas can't use the rope snake , it belong to Duster.)

ZerBerry

Smash Cadet
So the coronavirus is so strong that it was randomly announced in a not-Direct that the first character of the FP2 is from ARMS ?
Oh my stairs ! Look at the time !! Time to yeet from all the speculation and stuff because Nintendo is truly unpredictable (not in a good way if it's not Ribbon Girl or Spring Man)

No really, how the **** can you predict Nintendo at this point ? I'm expecting nothing from now on and I don't know if this is a good thing or not

Last edited by a moderator:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
It's not Waluigi but it's arguably better especially in the light now that settles the "would they really add two Mario characters in a row" conundrum." Basically we still got what we were hoping for in the end.
I will be ecstatic if the ARMS rep is not a future new ARMS game AND is someone already represented in Smash. The last final fan rule(s) will be finished.

I just ... have that feeling still it'll be a new game and/or someone not represented.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
They could just do an all-Nintendo pass though, with hopefully Geno included since he's *partially* Nintendo from being in a Nintendo-made universe (Mushroom Kingdom/Mario series).

So taking that into account, I could see a pass like this:
- ARMS (hopefully a Spirit promotion)
- Kirby (BWD)
- Zelda (Impa)
- Mother (Porky)
- Mario (Geno; only third party pick, but he's still from the Mario universe)
- Pokemon (Toxtricity)

And at most , I could see alts having different visual/sound effects , but nothing that impact gameplay. Yeah , they might not fully respect what the characters are able to do ; The thing is , this will be an ARMS rep , they want to represent the franchise.
Just like how Ness can use PSI powers he can't learn , it's to better represent Earthbound as a game , rather than perfectly represent Ness , as a character. (Or how Lucas can't use the rope snake , it belong to Duster.)
I *guess* but still... Would be better than just getting one rep for sure, kinda like how you can use Sothis and the house leader alt colors for Byleth.

I just ... have that feeling still it'll be a new game and/or someone not represented.
Right? I don't think it's likely, but there's still that feeling of uncertainty because they didn't say who the fighter is.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
My biggest issue is not Urushifu (although it would suck for reasons already mention).. But if Arms get¨s a sequel revealed, and a Gen8 Pokemon gets revealed fro month... What would that give off as a signal for the rest of the pack then??? You see what I¨m saying. I mean, it's not like they (and no offense to Arms fans) strong card that could remove a lot of people's bad taste after Byleth.

Not everything that comes out in June is automatically in smash. Good grief. And why use placeholders if they're not even saying who it is? They didn't need to give us a list at all.
We should be since this is great for Geno, but now everyone is upset because apparently any 1st party character is automatically a shill pick.
They could still use old footage to show who it is. That¨s what I¨m saying. It would not be that hard for them to do. Hell, they revealed an unfinnished model of Mewtwo as an announcement tool for him as DLC for Smash4
And sure, not every first party does not mean advertisement... But starting off with Arms, instead of someone like Majoras Mask., Waluigi, Isaac, Geno or Doom Guy for immediately after the confirmation tell people that you can play the game for free if you have the online subscription.. when it has gone long enough for a sequel to be ready... then something is off if you ask me.

That's only if the ARMS rep is a new character in a supposed sequel. I'm still greatly leaning towards it being one of the 5 Spirits in the game as they're arguably some of the most popular picks, especially Twintelle or Min Min.
No matter who it is, it will still give exposure to the franchise which = advertisement for a potential sequel.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

100 characters theory? Could you elaborate?
Certainly, it isn't very concrete and is mostly a stretch, but it's an idea posited by several posters in this thread, Fatman being a notable one, that since this is Sakurai's final Smash, he would be aiming to squeeze in a meaningful amount of characters - and obviously 100 is a meaningful number. As it stands, we have 75 characters without echo fighters, 7 echo fighters, and 6 fighters coming down the pipes. That adds up to 88 characters with their own slots, which is two short of the 90 that, if I recall correctly, going past on the character select screen crashes the game. Without some kind of game update, it is technically impossible to cram 100 characters in, but if you consider that there are 7 Koopalings and 3 more Heroes than advertised, we're at 98, and then Alph puts us at 99. Some of that rides on the fact that these characters have different names, so you can ignore Hero if you like and push us back down to 96, but if the ARMS rep ends up bringing 3 different named characters with them, we'll be right back at 99. Obviously, a situation in which the ARMS rep has 7 additional characters in a Bowser Jr. situation would push the number well past 100, and it raises the argument of who counts as a character for the sake of making this one of, if not the biggest crossovers in video gaming. Outside of Mugen, Ultimate already has an unrivaled playable cast.

Like I said, it's a stretch, and really only amounts to something to pass the time.

I mean, was Fire Emblem underperforming in Japan when Melee came out?
Fire Emblem is still underperforming compared to the franchises that it rivals for representation in Smash, and in some cases, compared to franchises that have far fewer characters.

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
What's your take on the fact Sakurai said fighter 6 is ready to present in January, just need a little more time, but now tweets they got this request not long ago from the higherups and we gotta wait till June cuz it's kinda hard to get the extendable arms working? Fighter 6 being moved to a different slot or potentially multiple ARMS reps needing more time?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What's your take on the fact Sakurai said fighter 6 is ready to present in January, just need a little more time, but now tweets they got this request not long ago from the higherups and we gotta wait till June cuz it's kinda hard to get the extendable arms working? Fighter 6 being moved to a different slot or potentially multiple ARMS reps needing more time?
I don't even know anymore because Corona has ****ed so much up. "E3" will definitely be interesting this year.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Fighter 6 being moved to a different slot or potentially multiple ARMS reps needing more time?
It could legit be either of those. The one thing that an ARMS reveal did was blindside everyone, just like Joker did, so I could see them moving whoever 6 was to somewhere else.

If it also happens to be at least one of the 5 Spirits already in the game, they're also breaking at least 1, possibly up to 3 fanrules for us to speculate on for future picks (Spirits, Mii Costumes, and Assist Trophies).

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
My biggest issue is not Urushifu (although it would suck for reasons already mention).. But if Arms get¨s a sequel revealed, and a Gen8 Pokemon gets revealed fro month... What would that give off as a signal for the rest of the pack then??? You see what I¨m saying. I mean, it's not like they (and no offense to Arms fans) strong card that could remove a lot of people's bad taste after Byleth.

They could still use old footage to show who it is. That¨s what I¨m saying. It would not be that hard for them to do.
And sure, not every first party does not mean advertisement... But starting off with Arms, instead of someone like Majoras Mask., Waluigi, Isaac, Geno or Doom Guy for immediately after the confirmation tell people that you can play the game for free if you have the online subscription.. when it has gone long enough for a sequel to be ready... then something is off if you ask me.

No matter who it is, it will still give exposure to the franchise which = advertisement for a potential sequel.
Why would they use old footage to announce the character? They've never done that ever. Obviously they are waiting for an actual trailer. Probably the reason it wasn't completely shown off is because the trailer just isn't ready. And again, why the list? For what reason would they give us a "placeholder"? Can you actually answer that question?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Why would they use old footage to announce the character? They've never done that ever. Obviously they are waiting for an actual trailer. Probably the reason it wasn't completely shown off is because the trailer just isn't ready. And again, why the list? For what reason would they give us a "placeholder"? Can you actually answer that question?
Like I said above in my edit. If they were willing to use an unfinished model of Mewtwo as an announcement that he is back for DLC in Smash4... then why would they not be able to use the footage for the game to reveal Spring Man or whoever it is?

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I have a working theory that Nintendo is trying to do the usual Smash character introduction model in reverse this time with Ultimate. They started off with fan pleasing characters like Simon and K Rool, exciting Third Parties as DLCs and Nintendo picks at the end. Usually, the current Nintendo characters would be in the base game and fan picks would be later DLC like we saw from Smash 4.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I think we can all agree the next two-ish months will be a breeze to wait through by comparison after all this.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Like I said above in my edit. If they were willing to use an unfinished model of Mewtwo as an announcement that he is back for DLC in Smash4... then why would they not be able to use the footage for the game to reveal Spring Man or whoever it is?
Because Mewtwo was a veteran, and because the dlc didn't get real trailers in smash 4. Now stop avoiding my question which you clearly don't have an answer for. For what reason would they give us a placeholder? I'm not going to respond to any more of your posts until you answer that.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I think we can all agree the next two-ish months will be a breeze to wait through by comparison after all this.
Despite the incredibly disappointing Direct, yes absolutely. Nearly 7 months is much longer than not even 3! (assuming they'd do an early June direct which is when E3 would have been)

Brothanigus

Smash Apprentice
User was warned for this post
O great. More confirmation that the second pass will be stupid shill garbage no one wants.

I still can't fathom why Nintendo/Hackurai can't make a pass containing solely highly wanted characters. Smash DLC is the only fighting game dlc i do not want to see nor care about, because I know it's going to be garbage.

Friggen hell, PORKEY would have been a better choice that an arms character no one wanted. Broshi would have been better.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

O great. More confirmation that the second pass will be stupid shill garbage no one wants.

I still can't fathom why Nintendo/Hackurai can't make a pass containing solely highly wanted characters. Smash DLC is the only fighting game dlc is do not want to see, because I know it's going to be garbage.

Friggen hell, PORKEY would have been a better choice that an arms character no one wanted. Broshi would have been better.
This is the Geno thread.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Because Mewtwo was a veteran, and because the dlc didn't get real trailers in smash 4. Now stop avoiding my question which you clearly don't have an answer for. For what reason would they give us a placeholder? I'm not going to respond to any more of your posts until you answer that.
Because either A) COVID19 made them unable to make a proper trailer or B) they don¨t want t to announce the sequel yet (if there is one). But sure, I give you the Mewtwo one

Last edited:

Antho

Smash Apprentice
So, will this be our last first party rep then for Ultimate, most likely?
That’s kind of disappointing. Especially since they most likely open up the gates for first party assist/spirit promotions and give us ARMS, practically one of the least requested promoted characters instead of Waluigi or Isaac. Not that I’m complaining as it heightens Geno’s chances. I still have a slimmer of hope that they’re saving Waluigi for the very end, but I’m probably just too hopeful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom