• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I really don't think it's virus related. The Byleth presentation, the AC direct, the Pokemon Direct, and the Indie world direct all went off without a hitch. There's no reason a general direct would be delayed when nothing else is.
People could argue those videos were mostly done before the spread got bad, but AC Direct and Indie World say hi.

They’re probably going big with NH because they have nothing else to really show right now. It’s either make a huge deal out of Animal Crossing or go completely silent for the remaining time until the next direct (who knows how long that’ll be). If we really aren’t getting a direct today, expect to hear a lot more about it.
Oh I know. I just wish they'd show something else because unless you're an AC fan, you have literally nothing else right now.

at this point i feel like nintendo either doesnt have anything to announce or they somehow think animal crossing can hold everyone until like June or something
That's the scary thing though.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
A trailer for Wonderful 101 remastered has been released.

If we were supposed to get a Direct, i don't think they would have released the trailer alone as it is. RIP Directs.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
There's two significant factors at work here.

One, we simply don't know what's going on with the production at Nintendo, and to what extent COVID-19 has affected. The fandom is not entitled to get an explanation on that of course, though I think some sort of transparency there would mitigate some of the impatience.

The second element is that it seems the company has seemingly done everything in the last six months except for a general direct. Two indie presentations, a Pokemon focused video, an Animal Crossing direct, and a Smash reveal/detailing video. Basically anything except a roadmap of upcoming major titles has been put out all while the marketing and PR has put everything towards Pokemon, Animal Crossing, & Mario Kart Tour, the latter of which is a mobile title of little relevance to many Switch owners. In the minds of some there's been no major thing to latch on to tell themselves "Yes we don't know much, but at least we know exactly about this game/s."

Essentially with nothing to go off of, very narrow attention on select games, and not even release dates for the significant titles we do know about, you basically get the grumbling fandom we see now. You can certainly say that fans need to get their expectations in check and are in no position to demand Directs, but with two major consoles coming out in the next 12 months and Corona affecting people financially, there's probably loads of people who just want some information to decide what kind of gaming purchases they'll be making this year. A decision that the lack of presentation is not helping with.

Last edited:

"LC"_Lapen

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 6950 2675 8190
Oh well. Keeping in mind the current status of the world I'm not even surprised of the lack of a Direct, not even sure how much of Nintendo has been told to stay home or cease work. I've got other things to worry about anyway (as I said earlier in thread, I head the stocking crew in a grocery store and the last 2 weeks have been a hell I never could imagine.)

On a SMRPG note, the Yetee has another Shirt of the Day relevant to our interests: Exor

theyetee_exors-keep-the-yetee_1585113114.large.png

https://theyetee.com/products/exors-keep?utm_source=dayoftheshirt

Looks quite good TBH, so if you want one for yourself then snap it up today, these Yetee tees are only up for 24 hours until they disappear.

MattX20

Smash Hero
And even if we must wait until April, chances are it would be before the 7th, as that is when the fiscal quarter ends.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It will be announced on the 31st, and then aired the next day. An April 1st Direct will fit perfectly for the inexplicable reveal of Bubsy as FP6.

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
Man, it must be nice to have such a nonexistent backlog that you can be this upset that Nintendo hasn’t put out what’s basically an extended advertisement

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Man, it must be nice to have such a nonexistent backlog that you can be this upset that Nintendo hasn’t put out an extended advertisement
This is the most irritating kind of post on this forum

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Man, it must be nice to have such a nonexistent backlog that you can be this upset that Nintendo hasn’t put out what’s basically an extended advertisement
Must be nice to have blanket, baseless assumptions for the motivations behind the expression of people's opinions.

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Why is everything so pessimistic in here just because Nintendo doesn’t have a direct to announce for everyone? Animal Crossing hasn’t even been out for a week, there’s a pandemic going on that we know someone at NoA got the virus and we also have no clue what might have happened at NoE and NoJ, Sakurai himself made a statement that the fighters in the second pass would be postponed and you guys are still assuming it’s Nintendo delaying said direct for no reason? Sure, I agree they could have shown it off in February before this whole thing started but stuff could have been happening internally then too. I understand some people getting upset but some of you are acting like it’s the end of the world. Fighter’s Pass 2 isn’t cancelled. Nintendo still makes games. We didn’t get info today but today was never a deadline. I know I’m in no position to say this but chill, everyone.
Literally no one is acting like this is the end of the world. Consumers have a right to be legitimately upset about the lack of news from an ENTIRE company. We have one Nintendo game for the entire first quarter of the year with the only things to look forward to being FP2 if people even care about that after how disappointing FP1 was as a whole. This is also coming at a time when other companies are still releasing news AND stepping up their game for their new consoles.

Personally, I'm not all that bent out of shape about it. This is typical Nintendo. They try so hard to always innovate and do things differently and find the perfect timeframe for maximum hype that they constantly miss the mark. Anyone who's been around Nintendo for a few years will know the heartache and rollercoaster ride that it is to be a Nintendo fan. Nintendo is just so behind the times in terms of their competitors and their fanservice. By the time they finally get around to doing anything the fans have been clamoring for it's almost always a too little too late scenario. That being said, they get by just enough with the games that do absolutely hit the intended mark. Also, in light of new consoles there is only so much that can be done to improve consoles at this point and honestly I'm just not interested in PS5 or Xbox Series X because there's not really anything about them that excites me. The Switch is far from perfect but it's definitely my favorite system in my experience. While it could really use a lot more graphical and processing power and joycons that don't have a mind of their own, the Switch is just an awesome system and I find that I'm just not too interested in my other systems right now. I'm still backlogged on many games I would like to get and am hopeful that new ports and games that interest me are coming at some point this year and I can wait cuz I need to save the money and this virus sure ain't helping with that. But just because I'm content doesn't mean that people don't have a right to be frustrated with having absolutely no inclination of what is to come.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Jesus. I try to keep my optimism as best I can, but the possibility that Nintendo just has nothing to show scares me. Animal Crossing is cool, I'm sure I'll enjoy it if I pick it up, but it won't carry a whole year, like come on. I really have to wonder what's keeping them from announcing stuff, if not even the virus seems to be taking much of a toll in announcements for the rest of the industry.

Switch has games? Yeah, more like Switch had games at this point.

On a brighter note, happy birthday PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate !

D

Deleted member

This is the most irritating kind of post on this forum
Weird, I thought it was the people who come into the Geno thread and post about how they want someone else and think Geno is an irrelevant secondary character from a 24 year old game who deserves nothing more than a PNG in Super Smash Bros.

Also I'll go ahead and remind everyone again that Nintendo pulled a situation very similar to this back in like 2009, leaving us with Animal Crossing City Folk after the infamous Wii Music E3 and releasing basically jack **** else for the entire year. I think New Super Mario Bros. Wii released that year and kicked off what felt like a neverending rehash release cycle. I don't remember if they also had blockbusters in the rafters that we had no release date on, but I'm getting hella deja-vu which is why I've been pretty pessimistic about this Nintendo wrecking ball that's been supposedly making the rounds in insider circles.

The same insiders that have been dead wrong about ****ing everything.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
The same insiders that have been dead wrong about ****ing everything.
But multiple people called the AC direct like 2 weeks in advance; they even nailed the date. Some of the same people also got the Indie World thing too (some of those people being off by a day), so...

The only thing that everyone has been wrong about is the general direct.

D

Deleted member

But multiple people called the AC direct like 2 weeks in advance; they even nailed the date. Some of the same people also got the Indie World thing too (some of those people being off by a day), so...

The only thing that everyone has been wrong about is the general direct.
When you give people credit for what little they get right rather than remember the mountains they got wrong, you perpetuate the cycle of people believing these frauds. At this point it's safe to say the general Direct is leakbait and Nintendo is still on their crusade against any and all information slipping through the cracks - including Direct information, which historically has been one of their biggest weak points - we have very often found out the date of directs up to a week in advance and sometimes even knew the content.

Popular leakers aren't giving up the "business" because they're afraid Nintendo's gonna come after them - you're a random person on the internet who can fade into obscurity as soon as the damage is done barring some outrageous Pokemon leak level **** where Nintendo hires private investigators to figure out whodunit - they're giving it up because their sources are getting outed one by one or, doing the smart thing and preserving their career by keeping their damn mouth shut.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
A trailer for Wonderful 101 remastered has been released.

If we were supposed to get a Direct, i don't think they would have released the trailer alone as it is. RIP Directs.
Okay, I'm really getting sick and tired of people either not knowing or simply not bothering to embed videos/tweets they're talking about. It's really easy to do:
HowToEmbedVideos.png

Anyways, carry on discussing the lack of a General Direct.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Okay, I'm really getting sick and tired of people either not knowing or simply not bothering to embed videos/tweets they're talking about. It's really easy to do:
View attachment 266981

Oh so you want a video then?
If you want it to rub it in like a jackass you could have posted it yourself too instead of trying to pretend to be a smarty pants.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Let's move on from talking about Directs. This is the Geno thread after all. Not the Nintendo Direct waiting room. It's just making people riled up at this point. If you are upset about the lack of a direct, I would take a break and come back with a cooler head. It is obviously out of our control.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
When you give people credit for what little they get right rather than remember the mountains they got wrong, you perpetuate the cycle of people believing these frauds. At this point it's safe to say the general Direct is leakbait and Nintendo is still on their crusade against any and all information slipping through the cracks - including Direct information, which historically has been one of their biggest weak points - we have very often found out the date of directs up to a week in advance and sometimes even knew the content.
Okay, but what you just said contradicts your original point. You're saying these people *are* legit and giving info they've heard rather than made up, just that some stuff was leakbait.
Some people have also been sent C&Ds for the record.

Popular leakers aren't giving up the "business" because they're afraid Nintendo's gonna come after them - you're a random person on the internet who can fade into obscurity as soon as the damage is done barring some outrageous Pokemon leak level **** where Nintendo hires private investigators to figure out whodunit - they're giving it up because their sources are getting outed one by one or, doing the smart thing and preserving their career by keeping their damn mouth shut.
Just because you get some stuff wrong doesn't mean you're fake though. There's a difference between getting leakbaited or your sources getting things wrong (people like Zippo) and literally making up bullcrap to get attention (people like Mandycan).

They could just easily have had cartridges ready before this and indies are allways something that people go digital with
They'd still have had to work on both the AC Direct and Indie World though, when they could be... working on the General Direct instead?

In a more posutive note. NoA is helping out with the virus https://twitter.com/nintendolife/status/1242641142489001985?s=19
Awesome, now if only they'd say it's the cause of the issues with the info.
...or just be transparent at ****ing all.

This is the Geno thread after all. Not the Nintendo Direct waiting room.
Geno is cool dude. Want him 4 smush bross.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
View attachment 266981

Dang, you also could've searched for the video yourself instead of getting all mad about it. That's also a pretty easy thing to do. :/

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Getting back to Geno, I've always been a bit disappointed by the lack of major fan hacks of the latter. There are so many cool mods/variations to various 16 bit titles (the Sonic community are basically engineering geniuses in that regard), Mario RPG not getting a lot is a shame. Doubly so when some people have done some cool stuff with various other SNES JRPGs.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Let's move on from talking about Directs. This is the Geno thread after all. Not the Nintendo Direct waiting room.
Well. I just finished DQXI and i decided to look back at my SNES Classic Catalogue and play SMRPG again, haven't played it since i beat Culex after the main story (JUST a day before me starting to play Odyssey, felt it was only appropiate) and i don't tend to replay RPGs after beating for a Looooooooong time (like i have yet to replay FF6) but since SMRPG is easy to pick up and play, i decided why not?

Unfortunately as always, there's that one part of the game that i can't stand replaying it, and in my case is the Kero Sewers. God i never liked this section and im not even sure why, guess i felt it overstayed its welcome.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
They'd still have had to work on both the AC Direct and Indie World though, when they could be... working on the General Direct instead
What I meant by that comment was that they might not have enough copies for said game(s) that they want to wait. Also, weren't there reports of stores would be short in NS because of covid19?

MattX20

Smash Hero
Let's move on from talking about Directs. This is the Geno thread after all. Not the Nintendo Direct waiting room. It's just making people riled up at this point. If you are upset about the lack of a direct, I would take a break and come back with a cooler head. It is obviously out of our control.
That's probably a good idea to do for now.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Getting back to Geno, I've always been a bit disappointed by the lack of major fan hacks of the latter. There are so many cool mods/variations to various 16 bit titles (the Sonic community are basically engineering geniuses in that regard), Mario RPG not getting a lot is a shame. Doubly so when some people have done some cool stuff with various other SNES JRPGs.
I mean as far as romhacks go, there's a handful of them floating around. Not counting the randomizer, Armageddon is probably the most notable and it's quite large. Also hard, really hard. Adds tons of stuff post-Smithy. I never finished it (and I was playing hard, not normal/"easy"), but I did beat Smithy.

Unfortunately as always, there's that one part of the game that i can't stand replaying it, and in my case is the Kero Sewers. God i never liked this section and im not even sure why, guess i felt it overstayed its welcome.
But it's so short if you know what to do! I personally used to hate it as a kid but I really don't mind it at all anymore.

I'm trying to think of a part I personally *hate*. Some sections annoy me, but I don't think anything is outright bad (except the battle rooms in Bowser's Castle, those are downright abysmal).

What I meant by that comment was that they might not have enough copies for said game(s) that they want to wait.
Ah okay, wasn't sure what you meant by the cartridges thing. That said, perfect time to push the digital agenda they've been wanting (since it turns a bigger profit for them not needing to sell physical cartridges).

Also, weren't there reports of stores would be short in NS because of covid19?
Yes, but nothing directly from Nintendo.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Have you not seen the Randomizer for SMRPG? That has to be one of the coolest SNES mods that I have come across. This game and AlttP both have great Randomizer mods.

https://randomizer.smrpgspeedruns.com/

As time went on Kero Sewers started becoming shorter for me which is nice. The stretch between Monstro Town and Seaside is usually a bit of a drag since it looks too similar to Booster Way. But that's part of the JRPG experience.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Well there's Super Mario RPG Armageddon. Imagine SMRPG but ****ing hard as nails, as in Playing The Lost Levels as an RPG:

I think the reason we don't see SMRPG romhacks is this:
-The culture of fan products of Nintendo. Sega for better or for worse usually doesn't give a **** when people make fan products (Romhacks in this case), which gives fans opportunity to move foward with ideas and develop them further. A lot of romhacks of Sega games are of remarkable quality and creativity because they haven developing since late 1990's! With the case of Nintendo IPs however, there's isn't that much of an incentive to put much effort into these romhacks will invevitably be destroyed in legal terms, and the only way for them to surive is for them to not be visible to the public eye, which is probably why you may have not heard of Armageddon.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I like the randomizer, but I guess my pseudo-fantasy was stuff more along the lines of second quests or fan sequels; that sort of thing. Its like with Rougelike games, I like some of them, but there's something to be said about specific level design and item/enemy placement that's hard to top.

Armageddon does look interesting though, so I may have to try it out soon.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Have you not seen the Randomizer for SMRPG? That has to be one of the coolest SNES mods that I have come across. This game and AlttP both have great Randomizer mods.

https://randomizer.smrpgspeedruns.com/
ALTTPR is by far one of the greatest randomizers (that's also being updated to this day) that arguably makes the base game even better. That rush of finding the one item you've been looking for all over the place that unlocks a ton of other places just feels great and most games don't have that kind of feeling, or it's expected (in the case of ALL METROID GAMES; it's like "oh I know what I'm gonna get if I just look at my surroundings since I'm trapped"). I wish Nintendo would incorporate stuff like this into official releases.

SMRPGR isn't bad by any means; I just did a run of it recently and it was pretty nuts, it's just not nearly as thrilling as ALTTPR.

PS: There's also randomizers for Paper Mario too, but I don't think they have an "open mode" (yet?) like ALTTPR and SMRPGR do, due to key items being needed for progression.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Okay, but what you just said contradicts your original point. You're saying these people *are* legit and giving info they've heard rather than made up, just that some stuff was leakbait.
Some people have also been sent C&Ds for the record.

Just because you get some stuff wrong doesn't mean you're fake though. There's a difference between getting leakbaited or your sources getting things wrong (people like Zippo) and literally making up bullcrap to get attention (people like Mandycan).
I don't think it contradicts my point. If you're getting leakbaited, you're no better than being an outright fraud - honestly, worse. You're complicit in people losing their jobs and the admission that you're getting leakbaited opens up the possibility that you can make up whatever you want and then just write it off as leakbait.

There are people in the leaking/insider "community" that keep their mouths shut until they have 99.9% accurate information and never seem to try to get e-cred and clout like a lot of these nobodies have been doing. Those people are trustworthy. As it stands, leakers, especially for Nintendo information, are an infestation in which one claims to dip out and another several take their place. As far as getting C&Ds, believe me, if I were a leaker, Nintendo or their representatives would have to resort to the edges of legality (and morality) to figure out who I am. Anyone who ties any of their verifiable personal information to anything they do on the internet is a damn fool and, to be frank, deserves whatever comes their way.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
ALTTPR is by far one of the greatest randomizers (that's also being updated to this day) that arguably makes the base game even better. That rush of finding the one item you've been looking for all over the place that unlocks a ton of other places just feels great and most games don't have that kind of feeling, or it's expected (in the case of ALL METROID GAMES; it's like "oh I know what I'm gonna get if I just look at my surroundings since I'm trapped"). I wish Nintendo would incorporate stuff like this into official releases.

SMRPGR isn't bad by any means; I just did a run of it recently and it was pretty nuts, it's just not nearly as thrilling as ALTTPR.

PS: There's also randomizers for Paper Mario too, but I don't think they have an "open mode" (yet?) like ALTTPR and SMRPGR do, due to key items being needed for progression.
I am looking forward to all the adjustments being made on SMRPGR. Especially being able to play as your selected character on the overworld. Playable Geno is going to be super cool! I agree 100% on what you said about LttPR as well.

D

Deleted member

Not to be on the Star Road Discord anymore. Was never going to stay long, I just want to thank everyone on there You all were amazing incredible people and I had a blast talking to all of you. Enjoy the rest of the DLC characters peace and Love.

Still will be here of course but I did enjoy there more then here. But yeah looking forward to what’s next no Direct.

I have nothing to say it’s what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Ah okay, wasn't sure what you meant by the cartridges thing. That said, perfect time to push the digital agenda they've been wanting (since it turns a bigger profit for them not needing to sell physical cartridges).
Nintendo knows that there is still a market for physical media.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Oh so you want a video then?
If you want it to rub it in like a jackass you could have posted it yourself too instead of trying to pretend to be a smarty pants.
While I agree that we should cool off the ND discussion , i wanted to say something about this.

The W101 remaster is a kickstarter project , and thus ,was announced throught Platinium social medias. W101 isn't a property Nintendo own , it's just that the game was a Wii U exclusive.
So basically , as a third party , and especially for a project like that (Wich is Multi-Platform) they don't have to show it off in a direct , and can do their own thing. I do expect the game to get a little bit of attention in the ND , tho.

Furthermore , the trailer is only in japanese , and has yet to be translated from what I see , so we might get the translated trailer for the ND.

If they like , revealed the release date of XCDE through twitter , yeah , i would have told myself that there would be no direct.
So yeah , i don't think we have to worry that this trailer mean no direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom