• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
Sorry had to go to work. What I mean is, anytime Sakurai presents something, more times than not, he has more to say. Now it could not be the case, but I feel if he were to present The Hero's moves and mechanics, he may have more up his sleeve. That was certainly the case with Cloud and presenting the Geno costume.

So in short, if Sakurai presents, expect something. If not, expect Geno costume returning. Hopefully that answers the question.

EDIT: Think of it this way. It is an odd situation no matter how you look at it. Sakurai went out of his way to make a big deal that Geno's Mii Costume was a thing. Now we have an instance where we do not know the fate of our Star Boy. Is he coming back as a costume? Is he more than that? Or is it nothing? With how big a deal it was in Sm4sh, will it be glossed over? I think Sakurai is the person to address it. Whether through The Hero's video, or a famitsu column stating why he is a costume again even though it was a big deal last game.
I think you have a very good point. If Sakurai presents, then I think we're definitely going to be in for something big. It reminds me of how Sakurai wanted to hold back K Rool from the Donkey Kong franchise so that he could make the revival reveal himself. If Geno is going to make in into Smash, there's no way Sakurai wouldn't want to have the honor of revealing him personally.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I think it’s crazy to think there’s any chance for a character announcement or anything else special of that sort with Hero’s reveal. Sakurai just played a massive hand at E3 that outlined his plans through the fall of this year. And DLC is way too restricted to expect him to have the time to develop more character content (not to mention, the stuff regarding releasing another character in the middle of your DLC season but not including them in the pass is consumer unfriendly, pretty unlike Sakurai and Nintendo, and just downright a bad look). Maybe an Echo could happen... but I would have expected an announcement at E3 regarding that as well.

I’d expect someone new in September at the absolute earliest since that’s the point of Nintendo’s yearly Direct and would also align well with the imminent release of Banjo Kazooie. That’s the side effect of revealing two characters at the same time, it makes for a longer period without big news that people will undoubtedly call a drought when they get frustrated like with Joker.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I dunno. Since Hero and Banjo were just revealed a few weeks ago, I’m not expecting any new characters for a few months. We haven’t received a full Smash Direct since last November, so I’d suspect that we’ll get one more to wrap up the fighters pass (or to unveil the next round of DLC). I’m thinking we’ll get the last two characters simultaneously like Corrin & Bayonetta sometime after Banjo, probably around mid November–early December.
I’m personally expecting the next announcement in the Fall around when BK are released in Oct/Nov just because there’s really not too big of a window between there and February when you think about it. I also think that the last character is going to be released in February and announced in December. Getting 2 at the same time would be cool but they gave themselves a big window for the FP release and I don’t see them releasing the final FP character before that stated endpoint considering how spaced out the character releases and announcements have been.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I think there's a big chance that the last remaining two will be announced at the same time just like hero and banjo. After all the last two will not be that far away from each other. Or just like people said maybe we get an announcement each time a dlc come out but that would be weird.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I think it’s crazy to think there’s any chance for a character announcement or anything else special of that sort with Hero’s reveal. Sakurai just played a massive hand at E3 that outlined his plans through the fall of this year. And DLC is way too restricted to expect him to have the time to develop more character content (not to mention, the stuff regarding releasing another character in the middle of your DLC season but not including them in the pass is consumer unfriendly, pretty unlike Sakurai and Nintendo, and just downright a bad look). Maybe an Echo could happen... but I would have expected an announcement at E3 regarding that as well.

I’d expect someone new in September at the absolute earliest since that’s the point of Nintendo’s yearly Direct and would also align well with the imminent release of Banjo Kazooie. That’s the side effect of revealing two characters at the same time, it makes for a longer period without big news that people will undoubtedly call a drought when they get frustrated like with Joker.
And I agree with this notion. It is crazy and maddening to think of a possibility of another announcement so soon after E3. Is it a possibility...maybe? We are in such a weird state with Geno. 3rd party with a 1st party history. Simliar to Banjo, but he was not the face of his franchise like Banjo is.

It would be weird if we got some random character drop outside of the pass. The only other instance is P Plant, but that was before the pass had it's first fighter teased. IDK...it's all weird.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
If the rainbow theory is true we have a chance to see geno since he would be the blue character

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
And I agree with this notion. It is crazy and maddening to think of a possibility of another announcement so soon after E3. Is it a possibility...maybe? We are in such a weird state with Geno. 3rd party with a 1st party history. Simliar to Banjo, but he was not the face of his franchise like Banjo is.

It would be weird if we got some random character drop outside of the pass. The only other instance is P Plant, but that was before the pass had it's first fighter teased. IDK...it's all weird.
I think another character reveal only works if it’s an Echo, which would be clearly different from the stated content of the Fighter’s Pass and requires minimal work to develop... or another temporarily free fighter. Which seems super unlikely, especially for someone like Geno who is third party and costs money to license. I feel like that works best with first party content if they were ever going to do it and I really don’t expect to see a unique fighter outside the Pass until it’s concluded, if then.

Though, I suppose Sakurai could theoretically decide to eat the licensing/development cost to make someone like Geno temporarily free as another bonus, which would be a testament to how much he wants the character in the game... but I really doubt that Nintendo would let that fly and even Sakurai knows the cost of development, licensing, and working with limited resources.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I think if we got another bonus character AND that character is geno it will not be temporarily free.
First, because he's a square enix character and square doesn't seem to like giving stuff for free
Second,what can be the reason to decide to make him free the plant was the reason to buy the game at launch except if he's like a gift if you buy the fighter pass 2 it won't happen.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Though, I suppose Sakurai could theoretically decide to eat the licensing/development cost to make someone like Geno temporarily free as another bonus, which would be a testament to how much he wants the character in the game... but I really doubt that Nintendo would let that fly and even Sakurai knows the cost of development, licensing, and working with limited resources.
Not disagreeing with you, but Sakurai did say this was the game the team had a surplus of time and money in.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
He really said that ?Even though he didn't, the money they gain from the sales and the dlcs can be reinvested in another dlc so that's possible they buy geno for smash .

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Not disagreeing with you, but Sakurai did say this was the game the team had a surplus of time and money in.
I remember him saying this, but I do not remember. Do you have a link handy?

Also, hypothetically, let's says Sakurai had it in him to want to add Geno as a bonus. Square is OK with it. He presents this to Nintendo.
Nintendo: OH...this is not part of the fighters pass.
Sakurai: Yes, but I figured thi--
Nintendo: NOOO. GET RID OF THIS!

Would Nintendo tell Sakurai no if this guy got Cloud, Dragon Quest Hero and Banjo-Kazooie in and the respected companies worked with him on it? Just staking a claim. All hypothetical.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I think nintendo would'nt say no to more dlc so if a case like that happen i think it will goes well .

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
We're 7 out of 14 months into the fighter pass and we have 1 character so far. They either need to pick up the pace or tell us it's going to take longer than Feb 2020

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I think hero is coming this week or the next. Banjo will come in october the 4th dlc in december / january and the 5th in february i think i can't wait to see if my boy dante is in or not i'm getting tired of not having a character for me in ultimate (technically i have my old ones but except maybe joker none of the newcomers appeal to me.)Just announce every character already!

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
I am less and less motivated to post in this thread because I know that EricTheGamerman is going to make sure to remind me that Geno probably isn't going to get in. It's fun for me to have these moments of hope for a character I've wanted since 2006 and I want to enjoy them while they last. We only get to have time periods like these every 5 years or so.
Frankly, I'm less and less motivated to post in this thread because I fear that any assessment I make of certain possibilities/circumstances that isn't "HE'S GONNA BE IN!" will be met with manipulative posts like these.

Any word on the next update that was supposedly datamined?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
All we can do is wait. For some, we are on edge at the possibility he will be brought back as only a costume. Or the alternative, his costume is not brought back which leaves us with a question 'Is he a fighter or do we only have the Spirit?'.

Either way, it is stressful for those who keep on hoping (myself, but thankfully, not stressing too bad) and the inevitable...whatever that may be.

EDIT: Did an update happen!?

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Frankly, I'm less and less motivated to post in this thread because I fear that any assessment I make of certain possibilities/circumstances that isn't "HE'S GONNA BE IN!" will be met with manipulative posts like these.

Any word on the next update that was supposedly datamined?
Epic burn from someone I've literally never seen in this thread before :)

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
We're 7 out of 14 months into the fighter pass and we have 1 character so far. They either need to pick up the pace or tell us it's going to take longer than Feb 2020
Five DLC characters in the pass, six overall. Two have been released, another two have been revealed.

Seven months after Smash 4 DLC was announced we had one character, and only one other was known (officially).

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I don't think so, but maintenance for an unknown game (probably Smash) is coming on the 11th at 2:30 AM (Europe Time), hopefully something happens.
To my time that would be 7:30PM CST today....about the time Joker's video was dropped....Could it be time? Doubtful. But maybe....

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I am going to be on a trip soon enough, so I might have a hard time getting the character if it comes so soon. Hopefully the servers can handle the rush to get Hero.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Honestly, I getcha. I know I can be OVERLY pessimistic sometimes, but the reality is that Geno has some things for him and a lot of things against him right now, more against than for. I believe people should offer a dose of reality, too, because as much as I want him in, I can't get behind sticking my fingers in my ears about his chances. If people want to put others on ignore for that reason, sure, go for it, but they are just as valid in posting their opinion (negative or otherwise) as anyone else. I do NOT want that kind of conversation stifled myself. Being extremely pessimistic and sulking is one thing; giving a valid argument towards what may or may not help or hinder Geno's chances is another.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I remember him saying this, but I do not remember. Do you have a link handy?

Also, hypothetically, let's says Sakurai had it in him to want to add Geno as a bonus. Square is OK with it. He presents this to Nintendo.
Nintendo: OH...this is not part of the fighters pass.
Sakurai: Yes, but I figured thi--
Nintendo: NOOO. GET RID OF THIS!

Would Nintendo tell Sakurai no if this guy got Cloud, Dragon Quest Hero and Banjo-Kazooie in and the respected companies worked with him on it? Just staking a claim. All hypothetical.
My comment on Nintendo not letting that fly was in regards to free DLC. They probably wouldn’t stop Sakurai from making DLC in any way, but I’m fairly certain they’ll want him to charge for characters in the game as much as possible. No more freebies when they cost so much money to develop and license in the first place.

Though, if he did do something like decide develop an additional DLC character, then Nintendo might have him put that character on hold until the end of the Fighter’s Pass.

Well, we’re two characters into DLC with a pretty consistent pattern of two and a half months between releases and Hero will be dropping pretty much any day now, so that’ll be two Fighter’s Pass, three DLC out. We’re perfectly on track for Feb 2020.

Firox

Smash Master
I am going to be on a trip soon enough, so I might have a hard time getting the character if it comes so soon. Hopefully the servers can handle the rush to get Hero.
Don't worry about immediately getting the Hero downloaded. If history continues to repeat itself, the servers will take a dump for at least a day.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
My comment on Nintendo not letting that fly was in regards to free DLC. They probably wouldn’t stop Sakurai from making DLC in any way, but I’m fairly certain they’ll want him to charge for characters in the game as much as possible. No more freebies when they cost so much money to develop and license in the first place.

Though, if he did do something like decide develop an additional DLC character, then Nintendo might have him put that character on hold until the end of the Fighter’s Pass.
I had figured that is what you meant, just wanted to make sure. It would make sense to keep the ideas coming and have them on hold till the pass is done.

Though I am curious, good sir. How would you personally react if the costume didn't return?

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Honestly, I getcha. I know I can be OVERLY pessimistic sometimes, but the reality is that Geno has some things for him and a lot of things against him right now, more against than for. .
There is not a single character right now that has more going for them than against them.

Here you go though: Geno probably isn't in the game.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Nintendo just dropped the news on the Switch Mini so I doubt it will be this week. Along with that, Sabi's main Nintendo source let us know literally an hour before Joker's video dropped that he was coming that day and he has yet to say anything on the matter. I also give some credence to the Amiibo release theory because Joker came out two days after Wave 13 so Hero coming out next week in accordance to Wave 14 in Japan wouldn't surprise me at all.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I would argue Doom Slayer does.
Yeah, Doom Slayer, Crash Bandicoot, Lloyd Irving, a Resident Evil character like Chris, Jill, or Leon... A lot of really solid third party candidates have quite a bit going for them right with very few tangible negatives. Especially with the state of the Fighter's Pass and the focus on bigger name third parties. It's mostly just Nintendo characters that are suffering in terms of the more going against them than for them. Well, those, and the remaining fan favorites honestly that are currently in Spirit form.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Here you go though: Geno probably isn't in the game.
You know the point of people sharing their unpopular opinion on Geno's chances isn't to win public opinion through attrition or something... it's usually just to, you know, share their opinion. I don't think any supporter relishes saying their character's odds don't look so hot, especially in this thread.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I've been doing a lot of art lately I haven't had much time between that and work for much else. Still hoping for Geno though.

Art.png

I like to pretend sometimes I can actually do pixel art. Lol. One of those is the one I'm working on right now

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I've been doing a lot of art lately I haven't had much time between that and work for much else. Still hoping for Geno though.

View attachment 230765

I like to pretend sometimes I can actually do pixel art. Lol. One of those is the one I'm working on right now
The hell do you mean pretend, man, you TOTALLY can, like. LOOK AT THAT.

You're freaking talented, Psycho! Give yourself a pat on the back or I'll just have to do it for you!!

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I would argue Doom Slayer does.
I'm a pretty massive Doom fan and I haven't seen anything that makes me think Doomguy is more likely than any other 3rd party character. Pete Hines saying they have cool stuff in store for switch doesn't mean a Smash character and Sakurai acknowledging the existence of John Carmack doesn't make him a diehard Doom fan.

I wouldn't rule him out but I haven't seen a single thing that leads me to believe he's more likely than not.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I kinda figured next week at the latest for the DQ heroes was when they would release. We'll likely see them sometime next week.

Firox

Smash Master
Yeah, Doom Slayer, Crash Bandicoot, Lloyd Irving, a Resident Evil character like Chris, Jill, or Leon... A lot of really solid third party candidates have quite a bit going for them right with very few tangible negatives. Especially with the state of the Fighter's Pass and the focus on bigger name third parties. It's mostly just Nintendo characters that are suffering in terms of the more going against them than for them. Well, those, and the remaining fan favorites honestly that are currently in Spirit form.
Um, Doom Slayer MIGHT have something going for him, but to my knowledge, there is no more "tangible" positives for the rest than there are negatives. The only pattern we've seen thus far with the FP is third parties, but that precedent only needs one exception to be made totally null. Granted, spirits have yet to show any kind of positive impact on a character's chances, but thus far, the only iron clad rule that Sakurai seems to obey is that Smash is exclusive to video game characters only. My point is, we don't have enough evidence yet to confirm or deny anyone, so let's not be too quick to bust out the bagpipes for Geno's funeral just yet.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Bethesda seemed to imply that they had serious conversations with Nintendo about Smash in the past and I feel like that's something that should be taken at face value too. Granted, this doesn't necessarily mean Doom Slayer because they do have a fairly decent pool of big franchises but, as far as I know, Doom's the only one that Sakurai has given high praise to in the past. Plus, it definitely has its merits. Basically invented the modern FPS and has a weirdly long history with Nintendo that goes back further than even Banjo to the early N64 days. Granted, it neither launched on or has been particularly loyal to Nintendo platforms over the years but, as we've seen, Sakurai adds who he wants and "have they appeared on a Nintendo console" and "are they are video game character" are his most basic criteria when it comes to considering characters.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Bethesda seemed to imply that they had serious conversations with Nintendo about Smash in the past and I feel like that's something that should be taken at face value too. Granted, this doesn't necessarily mean Doom Slayer because they do have a fairly decent pool of big franchises but, as far as I know, Doom's the only one that Sakurai has given high praise to in the past. Plus, it definitely has its merits. Basically invented the modern FPS and has a weirdly long history with Nintendo that goes back further than even Banjo to the early N64 days. Granted, it neither launched on or has been particularly loyal to Nintendo platforms over the years but, as we've seen, Sakurai adds who he wants and "have they appeared on a Nintendo console" and "are they are video game character" are his most basic criteria when it comes to considering characters.
"Appearing on a Nintendo console" is not a basic criteria. That's an outdated rule that was mistranslated. It's a courtesy, not a criteria. At best, it's taken into account, but that's not what criteria even means. The way he words Cloud is it never crossed his mind to begin with and he just added him because he's goddamn Cloud and that was it.

The second one is the only hard criteria he's given. Now stuff he's actually made more clear as important is "something they and only they can do", which we can see why many didn't show up because he didn't see uniqueness in them. This has been a pretty big knock to Toad for a while now, one of the biggest missing Nintendo All-Stars for multiple games. Though maybe Brawl is the earliest he'd be best to add, considering he wasn't on the same level as Bowser and Peach at the time. Though in a twist, his most famous thing is guarding Peach... which is what he does in Smash. And it is a distinct thing to him in the Mario series, at least? I'm sure something will come up or he might forego the criteria. Obviously clones/echoes are an exception to this, but those at least had easy base characters to work off of(Mario got at least 2 different clones, and Ness was also based upon his model, though fully unique otherwise). Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom