• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
It's interesting, but the format is rather cluttered. Separating paragraphs and new lines with two line breaks is most recommended unless you plan on posting this in a book format via PDF. Something like that with additional art coupled with it would be super cool.

Otherwise, very nice start. Can't wait to see what else you come up with!
Yeah, I have the format you describe in my word doc. It just didn't translate into the post for some reason. As for the art, I'm open to anyone who wants to volunteer. I can't draw to save my life.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
My only other big question about Resident Evil is whether or not Capcom is already represented enough in this game. Close to 90 spirits, roughly 70 pieces of music, three characters, a boss, and four assist trophies. This all includes literally every MegaMan incarnation, Street Fighter, and Monster Hunter. It's not really lacking for anything.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
One of the things I keep getting caught up on is the importance of music in the DLC. Way back in the olden year of 2006, one of the three things the Brawl poll focused on was music and I feel like that has stayed important to Sakurai after all these years. The soundtracks since Brawl have been sprawling and filled with some of the best music Nintendo has ever produced, period. That's why I feel like it's going to be a big part of the last two characters and it's honestly the thread that connects literally all the third party characters.

Beyond this, there's the sound design too. Sonic and MegaMan's jump. Pac-Man's "Waka Waka." Banjo and Kazooie's goofy noises. The "spotted" sound from Metal Gear. Even things you wouldn't even think about like Bayonetta's super posh accent are incredibly distinct and one of a kind. I don't know too many series left that are really iconic when it comes to music and sound design and decently wanted for Smash. A lot of the ones people suggest are one or the other or maybe they have one tune that people decently recognize but that's about it.
This is actually a good point that no one seems to have considered. Besides SMRPG, I can't help but think Undertale and I've never even played the series (nor do I particularly want it in Smash).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
My only other big question about Resident Evil is whether or not Capcom is already represented enough in this game. Close to 90 spirits, roughly 70 pieces of music, three characters, a boss, and four assist trophies. This all includes literally every MegaMan incarnation, Street Fighter, and Monster Hunter. It's not really lacking for anything.
Of all the companies with a plethora of memorable characters/series, Capcom comes second only to Nintendo imo. Smash reflecting that is not so crazy.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's not but my mentality is "let other people catch up some." You're right, when it comes to successful franchise **** measuring, Capcom drops its boxers and unfurls like a Fruit-By-the-Foot but that's also kind of a testament that it's not going anywhere and there's no real urgency for more right this second. It's kind of like the Waluigi situation, the character is in absolutely no danger of becoming irrelevant or having people totally move on by the next game because he's constantly in games, sometimes even multiple times a year. It's honestly the same case for Shantae, BWD, Ashley, etc. They're beloved and I feel all will eventually find their way into Smash but this game is definitely not potentially make or break for any of them.

StormC

Smash Hero
(Also, 'ey, StormC StormC , great to see you around in the Geno thread again, even if only a little! How you doing?)
Pretty good besides the fact that I screwed up my sleep schedule with work stuff this past month. Banjo-Kazooie in Smash is one of those insane pipe dream characters come true and really does make me feel like if the fans want it bad enough, eventually it can happen.

Post-Grinch it's very weird that only one of the "boomer trio" of Banjo/Isaac/Geno got in. It might incentivize the latter two to keep fighting though.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
It's not but my mentality is "let other people catch up some." You're right, when it comes to successful franchise **** measuring, Capcom drops its boxers and unfurls like a Fruit-By-the-Foot but that's also kind of a testament that it's not going anywhere and there's no real urgency for more right this second. It's kind of like the Waluigi situation, the character is in absolutely no danger of becoming irrelevant or having people totally move on by the next game because he's constantly in games, sometimes even multiple times a year. It's honestly the same case for Shantae, BWD, Ashley, etc. They're beloved and I feel all will eventually find their way into Smash but this game is definitely not potentially make or break for any of them.
Yeah, but most characters don’t have make-or-break time periods to make it into Smash. In Ultimate alone, we have the Belmonts, Chrom, Dark Samus, King K. Rool, and Banjo & Kazooie now, all of which got in at least one installment past their “peak relevancy”, if not multiple. There’s definitely a few characters who probably wouldn’t have gotten in if they didn’t get added in the time window they did, like most of the FE and Pokémon characters, but that’s due to the nature of their franchises. I don’t think that there are many characters that are commonly anticipated for the remaining 2 slots of this Fighter Pass who would absolutely have to get in right now or miss their chance entirely.

MattX20

Smash Hero
As far as companies that aren't involved so far that could get their characters into the last two slots, only 5 come to mind: Level 5, Suda 51, Koei Tecmo, Id Software via Bethesda, and Activision. Level 5 is arguably the most prominent Japanese company left that has a strong relationship with Nintendo, and by far their most successful franchise is Professor Layton, who was absolutely massive and a household name during the DS era/earlier 3DS days and really appealed to casual fans, much like how Animal Crossing does. Suda 51 was very vocal about Travis Touchdown joining the fight, but whether Sakurai wants him in or not remains to be seen. Koei Tecmo I'm the least confident in because Ryu Hayabusa is probably in a rather awkward spot like Lloyd Irving for Bandai Namco; both characters are sword wielders that could ire people especially since JRPGs and ninja like characters are already in the game. Crash Bandicoot has a huge legacy as the unofficial mascot of the PS1, and his original trilogy gives him more than enough to make a moveset work, it just depends entirely on how cooperative Activision is if Nintendo approached them at all. Finally, Doomguy/Doomslayer has been popping up in a lot of "leaks" recently over the past few months. Doom certainly is a massive legacy franchise when it comes to FPS titles, but I do wonder if they would just allow him to use the more futuristic tech/weaponry to make him stand out if he does get in. Those are my thoughts regarding potential 3rd party additions that have been brought up recently.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Not definitively but, kind of like I talked about earlier in the thread, there are characters that people stop caring about if they don't get in. Krystal's a prime example of a character that had a huge fall off and I kind of feel like that affects how they appear in future games. Like the K. Rool and Banjo fanbases, the Geno fanbase is exceptional in that regard but I don't know how long it will hold out. Everyone's getting older and the people who actually grew up with SMRPG will be close to 40 by the time a hypothetical Smash 6 comes out.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Not definitively but, kind of like I talked about earlier in the thread, there are characters that people stop caring about if they don't get in. Krystal's a prime example of a character that had a huge fall off and I kind of feel like that affects how they appear in future games. Like the K. Rool and Banjo fanbases, the Geno fanbase is exceptional in that regard but I don't know how long it will hold out. Everyone's getting older and the people who actually grew up with SMRPG will be close to 40 by the time a hypothetical Smash 6 comes out.
I mean at this point we also have had the virtual console and SNES mini releases but yeah it's not the same as the nostalgia people have for the SNES version. In the interim if he doesn't get into SSBU we can hope/petition for SE and Nintendo to remake SMRPG on the Switch. I think that would boost things a bit in Geno's favor.

StormC

Smash Hero
None of Krystal’s games are that popular to begin with and none of them have been rereleased either. DKC and SMRPG are at least considered classic SNES titles (as in literally...they are on the SNES Classic).

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was just at some second hand bookstore and they had Mario RPG prominently displayed for $50

LOL, I don't think it's actually worth that much. Or if it is, I bought my copy years ago for $20. I could make a profit if I wanted to sell it

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I was just at some second hand bookstore and they had Mario RPG prominently displayed for $50

LOL, I don't think it's actually worth that much. Or if it is, I bought my copy years ago for $20. I could make a profit if I wanted to sell it
I would assume the collector's value would have gone down over the years somewhat with it being available on several different platforms.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I would assume the collector's value would have gone down over the years somewhat with it being available on several different platforms.
Nah, that's about how most SNES games go these days. Re-releases bring them down in price to a certain degree, but most of the Super Nintendo games hold their value quite well if they're anything of note (Usually $20 or more in video game stores for anything that gets the honor of behind glass and not outwardly displayed on shelves). The Square Enix games and RPGs in general really retain their value. Like the release of Earthbound dropped the price quite a bit when it released on Wii U Virtual Console and SNES Classic, but it has retained value generally of over $100 from what I've seen these days.

Honestly, $50 for a loose copy of Super Mario RPG is the one of cheapest I've ever seen the game since I've known about it. Most of the time I've seen it sale for $55-$60 in stores, if not more depending on how bad the store is with pricing.

In general, your theory holds true with pricing and games, but SNES and N64 games really hold on to their value even with re-releases. Especially if boxed. Then again, most Nintendo games except for like the Wii era don't really lose their value all that much period.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Nah, that's about how most SNES games go these days. Re-releases bring them down in price to a certain degree, but most of the Super Nintendo games hold their value quite well if they're anything of note (Usually $20 or more in video game stores for anything that gets the honor of behind glass and not outwardly displayed on shelves). The Square Enix games and RPGs in general really retain their value. Like the release of Earthbound dropped the price quite a bit when it released on Wii U Virtual Console and SNES Classic, but it has retained value generally of over $100 from what I've seen these days.

Honestly, $50 for a loose copy of Super Mario RPG is the one of cheapest I've ever seen the game since I've known about it. Most of the time I've seen it sale for $55-$60 in stores, if not more depending on bad the store is with pricing.

In general, your theory holds true with pricing and games, but SNES and N64 games really hold on to their value even with re-releases. Especially if boxed. Then again, most Nintendo games except for like the Wii era don't really lose their value all that much period.
Pretty much, yeah. My local game store sells SMRPG when they get copies for $50 flat. (I would know because I went to see if they had a copy and they'd just bought out their last few, lol. RIP.) Honestly, I was VERY surprised to hear it was only $50. I was more expecting $70-$80. Would love to have a physical SMRPG cart in my collection.

Pretty good besides the fact that I screwed up my sleep schedule with work stuff this past month. Banjo-Kazooie in Smash is one of those insane pipe dream characters come true and really does make me feel like if the fans want it bad enough, eventually it can happen.

Post-Grinch it's very weird that only one of the "boomer trio" of Banjo/Isaac/Geno got in. It might incentivize the latter two to keep fighting though.
Man, after B-K finally made it, I feel like anything is possible. I've been playing some Banjo ROM hacks and will be revisiting the original B-K very soon, and I just feel like a little girl with her head in the clouds all over again. I'll personally never give up on Geno and will always make fan content for him. I love him to bits, my good star boy.

Firox

Smash Master
I actually remember you from the Brawl days. Geeze... time flies. Good to see you.

Me 40 years from now still waiting on Geno: "Ah, yes, I remember you from the Smash 8 days... before the world ended... those were certainly happier times...
I actually loled until I realized how true your comment is likely going to be...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm really happy about Banjo too. That was one of those characters that people totally counted out until the Smash Ballot. It's so weird to think about. In the Brawl days, people usually labeled him as a "fourth party" character and saw him as every bit as unlikely as someone like Jak and Daxter. People like to talk about how people thought Cloud was impossible, Banjo was beyond that. If you brought him up in a conversation, you were shut down almost as fast as if you had suggested Shrek. More people even deemed Master Chief to be more likely because "hey, at least he's relevant." There was no traction until that tweet and then people were like "oh ****, this could actually happen..." and he immediately exploded in popularity again. As someone who has been in the Smash community for so long, it's a satisfying conclusion for a game that's been loaded with them.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
As far as companies that aren't involved so far that could get their characters into the last two slots, only 5 come to mind: Level 5, Suda 51, Koei Tecmo, Id Software via Bethesda, and Activision. Level 5 is arguably the most prominent Japanese company left that has a strong relationship with Nintendo, and by far their most successful franchise is Professor Layton, who was absolutely massive and a household name during the DS era/earlier 3DS days and really appealed to casual fans, much like how Animal Crossing does. Suda 51 was very vocal about Travis Touchdown joining the fight, but whether Sakurai wants him in or not remains to be seen. Koei Tecmo I'm the least confident in because Ryu Hayabusa is probably in a rather awkward spot like Lloyd Irving for Bandai Namco; both characters are sword wielders that could ire people especially since JRPGs and ninja like characters are already in the game. Crash Bandicoot has a huge legacy as the unofficial mascot of the PS1, and his original trilogy gives him more than enough to make a moveset work, it just depends entirely on how cooperative Activision is if Nintendo approached them at all. Finally, Doomguy/Doomslayer has been popping up in a lot of "leaks" recently over the past few months. Doom certainly is a massive legacy franchise when it comes to FPS titles, but I do wonder if they would just allow him to use the more futuristic tech/weaponry to make him stand out if he does get in. Those are my thoughts regarding potential 3rd party additions that have been brought up recently.
Travis has been disconfirmed by Suda himself. I'd replace him with SNK.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Travis has been disconfirmed by Suda himself. I'd replace him with SNK.
I assume that's in reference to one of the recent "leaks" that a female fighting game character might be joining in? The only major character with that description or popularity would be Mai Shiranui

T2by4

Smash Lord
Been browsing some threads on 4chan. Ever since Banjo came out I've noticed a lot of people come to Geno's defense. Could be the banjo fans being bros, but a lot of people seem to agree that geno is one of, if not the final pick for a truly completed roster. Also on twitter Geno has been popping. Let's hope it eventually all pays off.

Last edited:

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I actually remember you from the Brawl days. Geeze... time flies. Good to see you.

Me 40 years from now still waiting on Geno: "Ah, yes, I remember you from the Smash 8 days... before the world ended... those were certainly happier times...
Before.......the fire nation attacked?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I assume that's in reference to one of the recent "leaks" that a female fighting game character might be joining in? The only major character with that description or popularity would be Mai Shiranui
Absolutely not, that leak is bull****.

However, given SNK's history, I could see someone like Terry Bogard get in.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I don't believe the female fighter leak, or the Undertale/Waluigi one either for that matter.

Not that I'd be against more kickass ladies in Smash or undertale getting into Smash, but AFAIK neither are from proven, credible leakers?

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord

If you sell your copy of SMRPG for a $30 profit you give up your right to any and all lands and titles and certainly the OP of this thread

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I don't believe the female fighter leak, or the Undertale/Waluigi one either for that matter.

Not that I'd be against more kickass ladies in Smash or undertale getting into Smash, but AFAIK neither are from proven, credible leakers?
We definitely need some more diversity in Smash Bros so I hope a female character does get in, but I can't possibly see Mai from King of Fighters getting into Smash Bros. She's too... risque. I know Bayonetta is pretty risque, but for the most part she's covered up and Mai leaves little to the imagination.

Would be awesome if Minmin and Twintelle could get in, would really help the ARMS series, plus the music in Smash. Mmmmm!!!

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
We definitely need some more diversity in Smash Bros so I hope a female character does get in, but I can't possibly see Mai from King of Fighters getting into Smash Bros. She's too... risque. I know Bayonetta is pretty risque, but for the most part she's covered up and Mai leaves little to the imagination.

Would be awesome if Minmin and Twintelle could get in, would really help the ARMS series, plus the music in Smash. Mmmmm!!!
let's put in highly requested popular characters before we start trying to tick off diversity checkboxes please

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
I think it'll be difficult for some companies to catch up at this point, either through limitations in the quality of the company's IP, legal reasons, or otherwise. Konami is one frog away from being done with characters in my opinion and I have my doubts Namco will ever really catch up assuming they continue to pass on Tales Of and Tekken. Square is pretty much done after Geno (whose really in the good position he is in because of fan demand) as I imagine many other notable Square protaginists will be costumes, ATs, or spirits/stickers in the future (unless they really want to honor gaming history and include Lara Croft).

My guess is company contributions work similarly to echoes, wherein we could get a bunch of echoes and they won't take up an original character's slot. Similarly - Capcom can continue to throw in as much of their IP as they like and I don't think 1) Nintendo would shy away from excess representation of a major partner and 2) let that representation have any direct effect on other companies (for example, Konami really provided a lot for base game as well).

If anything, I can see payment/licensing limitations affect another Capcom character's chances. I could imagine them skipping on paying for Jill Valentine after paying for everything they included in base game (spirits, music, etc.) - that is, assuming they wanted to spend their money instead on a first time company or another returning company (so they don't blow any third party budget they might have entirely on Capcom). Then again, I think variation in company contribution is directly correlated with the ease of negotiation with that company. I wouldn't be surprised if we got Jill or Leon if it were largely because Capcom is simply an easy well to go back to, rather than go through the negotiation process anew with a new company or a recurring company that's seemingly difficult ( *cough* Square *cough*)

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
10char Post
Make more things like Geno Whirl, too! Geno Whirl is a chakram. Maybe making blades (OMG HE'S ANOTHER ANIME SWORDSMAN?????) out of star energy, whips out of star energy, rockets out of his feet... I could go on.
The me in the dream was just so excited that he didn't care, but the me watching the dream was like 'Aww no, the edge-i-fied him! Why, Nintendo, WHY?!' The other Mario character emerged from the rubble and glared angrily at Geno, and then from Geno's missing hand he formed A GIANT PURPLE AND BLUE SWORD and charged into battle.
Oh no

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
let's put in highly requested popular characters before we start trying to tick off diversity checkboxes please
The two categories aren't mutually exclusive, so we could do both! :)

In fact, I am pretty optimistic about how many female characters the next smash might introduce including: Ashley, Krystal, Dixie, Mach Rider, and maybe Ribbon Girl/Twintelle. We could even get Medusa, Birdo, Impa, Jeanne, and Mrs. Pac-Man as echoes.

And of course Jill Valentine and Lara Croft are gaming icons and would make great guest characters.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
The two categories aren't mutually exclusive, so we could do both! :)

In fact, I am pretty optimistic about how many female characters the next smash might introduce including: Ashley, Krystal, Dixie, Mach Rider, and maybe Ribbon Girl/Twintelle. We could even get Medusa, Birdo, Impa, Jeanne, and Mrs. Pac-Man as echoes.

And of course Jill Valentine and Lara Croft are gaming icons and would make great guest characters.
I found that to be ironic with Jeanne: Bayonetta wins the ballot but then the developers don't capitalize on that fan demand by making an easy (and canon) echo with Jeanne.

Last edited:

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
A while back I joked that the generic dragon and generic witch shown in the stage builder segment of the direct referenced Dragon Quest and Banjo-Kazooie... and in the spirit of that potentially being a real foreshadow I want to throw my 100% support behind another crazy theory mentioned here, in which Geno is bonus DLC.

Premise:
"The Legend of the Seven DLCs"
- Geno is a bonus 7th DLC fighter

Background:
- Color theory suggests that Orange, Blue, and Indigo are missing.

- In SMRPG, The Seven Stars are also the colors of the rainbow.

- Geno is of course lightish blue, but Indigo / Navyish blue and Orange can very well be represented by some likely and suggested characters.

- For Example, Ryu Hayabusa and Jill Valentine both have classic designs that heavily feature Indigo or Navy / Blue. Doom Marine and Heihachi likewise feature orange either in some their official art or in the logos of their games (Tekken has Orange symbols and Doom's artwork is always generally saturated in orange backgrounds).

- Jill and Heihachi also fit "Mii Costume Theory" in which Mii Costumes for Capcom and Namco will be released with new DLC fighters.

- Other Indigo characters also include Phoenix Wright (dark blue suit) and Lloyd (dark blue pants). Similarly, Crash Bandicoot could be the orange rep.

- As for smashdown, 76 characters become 71 once mii fighters are removed and PT is considered 1 character. Once you add the random button that becomes 72 tiles on the smashdown screen.

This is of course just a joke, but it's totally possible. I definitely wouldn't expect this to be the case at all, but Geno could be a special surprise from Sakurai at the end! :)

Who better to end the Ultimate DLC cycle in a game heavily defined by fan service? K. Rool, Ridley, and Banjo-Kazooie are in and Geno just might be too!

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I'm just waiting for the day I stumble across a Gameexplain video where they are discussing my Color Theory.

Please, everyone send the royalty checks to this name when using the INFALLIBLE Color Theory of Righteousness.

Trademark.

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
I'm just waiting for the day I stumble across a Gameexplain video where they are discussing my Color Theory.

Please, everyone send the royalty checks to this name when using the INFALLIBLE Color Theory of Righteousness.

Trademark.
That would be hilarious! I also hope to stumble upon a video of them seriously discussing Geno as a bonus DLC fighter.

I don't know why, but I feel like Geno is the only character that can weirdly pull off being an outta-nowhere bonus to wrap up DLC - to the point that speculation about it doesn't seem too terribly desperate and far-reaching to me (not counting my whole post above about 'cuz that's all ridiculousness). Just in general, the idea seems plausible.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Well for diversity it doesn't need to be just a female character. Like I consider Banjo and King K. Rool as diverse characters since they're anthropomorphic animals. Plus Geno should also be consider part of diverse seeing how he's a wooden puppet. We need more characters that aren't just human guys for this DLC. We need it to be a mix of gender, race, and species.

I could see KOS-MOS being a great addition seeing how she's part of Namco and was the start of the Xeno series. Also Dixie Kong as an Echo Fighter of Diddy (just replace the Diddy's Up-B with DK's Up-B) would be bloody perfect and help complete the DK gang.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master

Need more diversity?? Half the roster is made up of women and some of the highest tier characters in the game are women. We got animals, and space animals, and robots, and penguin people, and goddesses, and hipster kids with super soakers, and heart thieves, and a girl that looks more like Marth than Marth does, and tons of gender swap characters, and overly muscular racers with their buttons suspiciously where their nipples should be, and little boys with telekinesis, and sexy amazon chicks in space suits, and alien dragons, and ninja frogs, and a cute couple in parkas that beat people to death with hammers, etc. etc.

Let's not be like the Overwatch community and cry about ticking EVERY box for the sake of inclusivity. "But what about muh old one-eyed granny snipers?! This game is so mono-tone!" Believe me, if Smash has any more boxes to tick, it would be the one for possessed wooden doll boys, ya know what I'm sayin'?

(Disclaimer: Almost all of that rant was satire and not meant to trigger anyone. I hope you enjoyed it. Oh, and to be fair, the DLC actually DOES have a female in it. Remember Kazooie? XP )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom