• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I guess the big thing to wait for now is the mii costume pack?

A lot of people are starting to feel like Geno’s mii costume returning would be a hard disconfirm. Unfortunately idk, Geno missing would be too obvious as well...

Here’s my thought on this.
DQ was fairly likely to get dlc representation. However, I do have a feeling it wasn’t 100% Nintendo’s choice on this. I really think his inclusion may be more or less tied with somebody else. Not necessarily Geno, but it could have been a compromise for Cloud returning. It’s odd that we’ve known about Erdrick for quite some time.

When Geno does show up, We either get
A. Geno as a surprise during Summer
B. Or Geno’s mii costume is included and we get him as a character later on. As stated earlier, not including the costume makes it too obvious. Maybe for his reveal trailer we see a star possess a downed mii fighter gunner with Geno costume and essentially turn into Geno as an actual character.

If there is a fighter pass for a 2nd season, I do imagine it being mostly first party characters. Throwing Geno at the end of the first pass would be perfect because it’s a nice transition since he is this hybrid Mario/Square character.

The pro to this is that Geno could be Gauged separately to confirm whether or not there really is demand for a smrpg sequel.Lumping him with the current fighter pass would skew those results.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Hard to say. I think part of the edge of Phoenix coming to Smash was kind of taken out when he first came to Marvel Vs Capcom instead but I'd still like to see what all they would do with him. As for Layton, I've never played the games so I have no idea how he would work. He's one of those characters that I know a lot of people wanted for Brawl and then hardly anyone really talked about him that much after that. I would, however, kind of see it as a miracle since it's main competition is Yokai Watch since they're both made by Level-5.
I recall that Layton was apparently mentioned by name by Sakurai at one point for consideration, even if jokingly.

Firox

Smash Master
Nothing about Ultimate even hints at mediocrity
While I agree with most of your points, I can't say that one is entirely accurate. The online is still dripping with mediocrity, even when compared to the options of Sm4sh (try getting four people together with only two switches, you'll find it very amusing). Then the fact that the map maker (which already existed in Sm4sh) was patched in 3-4 months after release. This suggests the "finish it later" mentality that other, more questionable developers have made a regularity. Granted, it has its own upgrades but its far from perfection. Then there's quality of life things that have ALWAYS existed yet now have mysteriously disappeared like the fact that players have to ALWAYS re-pick their character after every match. This honestly baffles me. Even on the 3DS version, the game would remember who I picked and even the color variant I chose. This game doesn't, yet it can remember the CPU's choice perfectly. WHY?!

My point is, Ultimate is pretty much that: the ultimate of the series by far. Still, it has flaws without any meaningful reasons why. Hence, we have hints of mediocrity. Not many, mind you, but they do exist. I'm just stating that fact. That said, I don't agree with all of Sakurai's choices, and if the DLC doesn't appeal to me then I won't buy. Not that that means a lot in the grand scheme of things, but I'm not the only one that feels that way. Every character thus far is incredibly well done for what they are, but as much as I'd like a golden bicycle, I'd rather have a golden car. (metaphorically speaking of course)

No i'm just pointing out there is one thing needed for a character to get in, sakurai wanting them to be in. geno is more in the same boat as Rildey, K Rool, and Banjo, as a "This will please the fans" thing. The WTF character argument was more directed to the people in this thread who said plant was a "Braindead" pick, and me showing sakurai can get any character he really want's in it, as long as the company holding the character is willing to play with nintendo. Nintendo and Square are unlikely to approach Sakurai with "Add Geno to Smash" he will need to go out and ask both companies for it.
Ah, I see. Yeah, Sakurai is the gatekeeper, for better or worse. That's why I keep saying that if Geno doesn't get in, it's because Sakurai wills it so. After getting Banjo, I'm convinced Sakurai could get Geno. It's merely a question of whether he genuinely WANTS to.

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Honestly, I feel like Geno seems more likely than ever now. We got K. Rool and Banjo and Kazooie who like Geno had the "relevance argument" against them along with another character that was requested a ton by fans for several smash generations (Ridley).

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Unrelated question, but if Geno does end up being a Mii Costume and it turns out Professor Layton or Phoenix Wright are one of the last two Fighter Pass characters, how would you feel?
I think 'braingasm' is a nice way of putting it.

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
Unrelated question, but if Geno does end up being a Mii Costume and it turns out Professor Layton or Phoenix Wright are one of the last two Fighter Pass characters, how would you feel?
I'd be a bit disappointed but I do love me some Phoenix Wright so I guess it would be cool.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
I'd agree in terms of the Fighter's Pass and any immediate DLC, but in terms of future plans, I don't see why that would be a problem. For one, we don't have much of a pattern in terms of what gets promoted in different installments, given this is only the second game in the series to get DLC. Secondly, I sincerely doubt many people would end up crying over 75 cents.
I think Geno's situation is different because it's a simple port so why wouldn't they sell it? No third party costumes were available at the start of Ultimate so it's honestly the only way they could bring it back aside from something like a free gift. Plus, like Ovaltine said, it's less than a dollar so it's not like people will have to toil in the salt mines to afford it.
It's not the amount, it's that most people watch an ad every day on their most used app for years instead of pay a dollar to get rid of them forever.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
It's not the amount, it's that most people watch an ad every day on their most used app for years instead of pay a dollar to get rid of them forever.
Paying to get rid of ads and paying for a small DLC thing are two entirely different things with different factors weighing in for purchasing them. Come on, now.

"LC"_Lapen

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 6950 2675 8190
I find myself wondering if the reason we didn't get Geno in 4 was that Sakurai couldn't find an updated design of Geno that either he or Square were satisfied with, which would be why we got a Mii costume since it could be inaccurate as it wanted to be and still give Geno supporters something to hold onto.

Keeping in mind how Geno only got 1 (2 if you count the puzzle) official renders and that the in-game sprites didn't do much to answer questions like "Does his mouth keep rectangular like a Nutcracker or does it freely move within a fixed space?", "Does a solid torso keep faithful to his official art depiction but restrict his range of flexibility and movement?", "Compared to how night-and-day the difference is from Mario, Bowser, and Peach's RPG depictions and how they look in the present day, Just how much of Geno do we have to reinterpret from the ground-up?", makes it seem like quite a difficult mountain to climb for Sakurai who tends to be a perfectionist in these types of things. And there is quite a lot to consider just based on character function, details, and longevity, before you even get to stuff everyone else considers like movesets, physics, and the like.

If he still can't find a final result he's content with, I'd say that could very well be a legit reason for his delay and cause for the complications getting him into Ultimate.

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
Well most people who want Geno are apart of the Smash Community so I assume most already bought the Fighters Pass for one character or another and if they add a Geno Mii Costume most people who buy it will indeed be Geno fans. I doubt Geno fans would prefer just getting the Mii Costume over getting a fake out Mii Costume and Geno as a playable character, I know I'd prefer the latter.

Plus I'd pay a dollar for the Geno Mii costume as it would be worth more than getting ads removed that's not really a good comparison.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I find myself wondering if the reason we didn't get Geno in 4 was that Sakurai couldn't find an updated design of Geno that either he or Square were satisfied with, which would be why we got a Mii costume since it could be inaccurate as it wanted to be and still give Geno supporters something to hold onto.

Keeping in mind how Geno only got 1 (2 if you count the puzzle) official renders and that the in-game sprites didn't do much to answer questions like "Does his mouth keep rectangular like a Nutcracker or does it freely move within a fixed space?", "Does a solid torso keep faithful to his official art depiction but restrict his range of flexibility and movement?", "Compared to how night-and-day the difference is from Mario, Bowser, and Peach's RPG depictions and how they look in the present day, Just how much of Geno do we have to reinterpret from the ground-up?", makes it seem like quite a difficult mountain to climb for Sakurai who tends to be a perfectionist in these types of things. And there is quite a lot to consider just based on character function, details, and longevity, before you even get to stuff everyone else considers like movesets, physics, and the like.

If he still can't find a final result he's content with, I'd say that could very well be a legit reason for his delay and cause for the complications getting him into Ultimate.
Honestly, if fans can make Geno come off a certain and pleasing way just fine, I really don't see how Sakurai, the man who gave Banjo and Kazooie more life than ever before, would have any trouble. I doubt it's because of design.

Also, remember that Nintendo chose the DLC initially and Sakurai had to OK it. Nintendo probably saw DQ as a priority over Geno, and that simple reason is why he's not a DLC fighter. Occam's Razor and all.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
While I agree with most of your points, I can't say that one is entirely accurate. The online is still dripping with mediocrity, even when compared to the options of Sm4sh (try getting four people together with only two switches, you'll find it very amusing). Then the fact that the map maker (which already existed in Sm4sh) was patched in 3-4 months after release. This suggests the "finish it later" mentality that other, more questionable developers have made a regularity. Granted, it has its own upgrades but its far from perfection. Then there's quality of life things that have ALWAYS existed yet now have mysteriously disappeared like the fact that players have to ALWAYS re-pick their character after every match. This honestly baffles me. Even on the 3DS version, the game would remember who I picked and even the color variant I chose. This game doesn't, yet it can remember the CPU's choice perfectly. WHY?!

My point is, Ultimate is pretty much that: the ultimate of the series by far. Still, it has flaws without any meaningful reasons why. Hence, we have hints of mediocrity. Not many, mind you, but they do exist. I'm just stating that fact. That said, I don't agree with all of Sakurai's choices, and if the DLC doesn't appeal to me then I won't buy. Not that that means a lot in the grand scheme of things, but I'm not the only one that feels that way. Every character thus far is incredibly well done for what they are, but as much as I'd like a golden bicycle, I'd rather have a golden car. (metaphorically speaking of course)

Ah, I see. Yeah, Sakurai is the gatekeeper, for better or worse. That's why I keep saying that if Geno doesn't get in, it's because Sakurai wills it so. After getting Banjo, I'm convinced Sakurai could get Geno. It's merely a question of whether he genuinely WANTS to.
Going to be honest. I didn't even think about the online when I was making my comment because I have never enjoyed any version of Smash online and just kind of forget it exists... (I've been lucky to have lots of local matches over the years and I love playing against CPUs). Online feels like more of Nintendo problem than a Smash problem. Sure, Smash has some truly stupid design for the online, but if Nintendo would invest in proper infrastructure, I wouldn't have too much of a problem with Ultimate's online if it just ever ran worth anything. But yes, Ultimate's online is atrocious. I thought Smash 4 was too in that regard. I just don't even consider it much of an option I guess, which is telling of how bad it is.

I don't have a problem with the Stage Builder coming later. In a game like Ultimate where so much content is up front, I have no issues with them releasing content at a later date. Additional content to games is great and should be supported when released fairly. The Stage Builder was a free update and Sakurai had never mentioned anything like a bull**** road map that so many other developers rely upon these days. It was probably in development before hand, but that's the sort of modern day reality I don't mind as much. Smash launched as a complete damn game at launch, and they later brought in stuff. I have no issues with that. It's when the games don't work on Day One or are missing massive chunks of the game and mechanics that I have an issue with. Something like Stage Builder I was fine with being cut despite enjoying what comes of the mode. With 103 stages at launch, I understand the decision making behind Stage Builder coming later on.

Ultimate also seems to have made literally ever other QoL improvement I could have asked for, so while I agree the character "memory" is a minor problem, the saved rules more than make up for things and it seems like a sort of design based decision of always choosing. It would be nice to have the option to remember characters. A bigger issue you could have brought up is the loading time of Alts. That's an actual issue that needs to be addressed and I really thought they would have done that in a patch already. Nobody enjoys waiting to check out what other options characters have...

"LC"_Lapen

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 6950 2675 8190
Honestly, if fans can make Geno come off a certain and pleasing way just fine, I really don't see how Sakurai, the man who gave Banjo and Kazooie more life than ever before, would have any trouble. I doubt it's because of design.

Also, remember that Nintendo chose the DLC initially and Sakurai had to OK it. Nintendo probably saw DQ as a priority over Geno, and that simple reason is why he's not a DLC fighter. Occam's Razor and all.
It's difficult for me because one of my favorite fan designs for Geno is the way he's depicted in Nathalie's stupendous storyboard for SMRPG:

Nathalieresize.png

And I say it's hard because Geno is so expressive, versatile and frankly entertaining in this, but that's something you can only do when you can give Geno cartoon physics that you couldn't do if he were limited by what you could do with a wooden body. I just worry that real world physics like that may hinder Geno's depiction as an enjoyable Smash character if they chose those restrictions. But again, just trying to put myself in a designer's headspace because honestly it beats reading "leaks" and interpreting Sakurai's "clues" or "patterns".

Totally with you on the Occam's Razor point.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman

That said even if that was the case we still don't know all the specifics to the list and the circumstances behind it cause for all we know Nintendo could've put Multiple Square reps on it and they may have allowed Sakurai to choose Multiple characters from the same company in that case I don't see why Geno and a DQ rep couldn't both be in. Though that's just a possibility.

Still though we don't know the specifics so we could be looking at multiple Square Characters for all we know. Nothing is final until it happens.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think people have kind of been sleeping on Crash as of late. Beyond that, I have no idea. It could really be anyone at this point.
There was a leak I saw from GameFaqs in the Lloyd Irving thread here on Smashboards a few days ago. Here is a link to the page https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77349973 What's interesting about this leaker is he didn't just get Erdrick and Banjo & Kazooie right, which was kind of obvious due to the whole speculation scene talking about those two since November, but he kind of got the missing modes coming back through updates right. Though only Stage Builder has come back, it is kind of part of the leak in a way.

If Geno's genuinely not in, it does raise the question of why they didn't bother making him an assist trophy. The assist trophy list was practically a parade of fan service this time around: Knuckles, Bomberman, Krystal, Black Knight, Rodin, Isaac, Sukapon, etc. It's not the preferred outcome but it's recognition at least.
Probably because that's not how Sakurai want's to bring him back. I imagine if Sakurai wanted to physically put him in the game he would be playable through base or DLC. He probably want's to make Geno's return feel special if he is the one bringing him back like he did for K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie.

If we do end up getting Geno Mii costume I hope it also has a mallow one
And I hope we see a Boshi Mii costume too if that's the case.

Honestly, I feel like Geno seems more likely than ever now. We got K. Rool and Banjo and Kazooie who like Geno had the "relevance argument" against them along with another character that was requested a ton by fans for several smash generations (Ridley).
The thing is though, Square-Enix is a completely different beast to negotiate deals with compared to Microsoft who is probably more cooperative with deals with their IP than Square-Enix is.

Last edited:

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
The thing is though, Square-Enix is a completely different beast to negotiate deals with compared to Microsoft who is probably more cooperative with deals with their IP than Square-Enix is.
Yeah, a high ranking microsoft official said it would be awesome if they could work with nintendo to get Banjo in Smash Bros, Square meanwhile refused to let any final fantasy spirits get in.

Even if Square Enix and Nintendo are on better terms now then they used to be, asking for Geno would be a big deal.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
How would you want Geno's reveal trailer to go down?
I imagine it having Rosalina & Luma in it due to Rosalina's position as the mother/leader of the Lumas and the stars. And Mario, Peach, and Bowser because of them all being part of the RPG gang. But I don't really have a idea how it could go down though.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
Paying to get rid of ads and paying for a small DLC thing are two entirely different things with different factors weighing in for purchasing them. Come on, now.
Well most people who want Geno are apart of the Smash Community so I assume most already bought the Fighters Pass for one character or another and if they add a Geno Mii Costume most people who buy it will indeed be Geno fans. I doubt Geno fans would prefer just getting the Mii Costume over getting a fake out Mii Costume and Geno as a playable character, I know I'd prefer the latter.

Plus I'd pay a dollar for the Geno Mii costume as it would be worth more than getting ads removed that's not really a good comparison.
I see what y’all are saying, in my mind they’re like the same purchase-type but I can see how others feel differently. It really just boils down to, I can’t imagine they’d release a costume just to throw people off the trail, and I think there’d be a lot of complaints if they did.

I really do think he’ll actually be playable, and the last DLC character.

"LC"_Lapen

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 6950 2675 8190
I want the ending to the World of Light storymode to play during the Direct, with all of the Spirits spiraling into space as the Main Theme of Ultimate plays alongside it just as it is in game. Then, as the cinematic reaches where it ended in the game, one spirit drifts away from the mass as the music fades and just hangs there alone in empty space.

Then, a familiar music cue starts slowly building as this small spirit circles and begins to descend back towards the battlefield. As the spirit picks up speed, it begins to change shape from a rainbow ball of light into a shining star as the music finally reaches it's normal speed and reveals itself to be "Geno Awakens" but orchestrated and grandiose. The star breaks through the clouds covering the land below as the fighters are walking away from their battle against Galeem and Dharkon, impacting at the cliffs edge where they witnessed the initial invasion.

As the light fades and the silhouette of a new challenger takes it's place, everyone seems puzzled or even braces for a new enemy. All except Mario, Peach, and Bowser, who look shocked and then run up to greet their old friend, Geno, who finally arrived and is ready to join the party. Cut to fighter footage, attacks, and then a Final Smash, as the trailer ends with Kirby, Rosalina, Ness and Geno bringing down a hail of Stars against Galleom (A Giant Weapon much like what Smithy's Forces were in SMRPG), closing out the trailer with Mario and Geno clasping hands in a "Welcome Back" gesture. Peach notices Bowser has his back to the scene and, after the camera pans around to reveal he, hiding the fact that he too has gotten emotional, has those hanging tears on his face like he did also in SMRPG, Peach pats him on the back as if to say "It's ok. I understand".

End Trailer.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Now that I know Banjo & Kazooie are in, I feel like I can rest easy. I think I'm going to be staying off of Smashboards for a couple of weeks or until Hero drops with those Mii costumes that is. I'll see you guys maybe in late July or August so peace.

D

Deleted member

It's a World of Light scenario, where we see Mario battling Galeem's puppet fighters all by himself, and we see a spirit looming in the sky. At this point, we can't tell which spirit it is just yet. Mario is being beaten up by the puppet fighters and then the camera shifts to the spirit zipping past the fight and behind a far-away tree and we see a colorful blast illuminate the area around it. It looks like Mario is about to be defeated, when a mysterious figure jumps in and all the puppet fighters look to see it. It appears to be Geno, but then the figure reveals himself to be a Mii fighter with the Geno costume on, looking ready for a fight. One of the puppet fighters dashes towards the Mii and the Mii starts to become afraid. The puppet fighter is launched away by a blue energy blast from the sky and then another mysterious figure arrives. The rest of the puppet fighters jump towards the figure, to which they are sent away by more blue energy blasts. After which, the figure is revealed to be the real Geno with the Mii hidden behind him for cover. The Mii awkwardly looks and smiles at Geno before Geno launches him away with a Star Punch, and poses for the camera after.

GENO
STARS IN SMASH!

It cuts to gameplay footage of Geno and then after that we get a cinematic of Geno landing in front of Mario with a jump. Mario looks up to him as he offers him his hand. Mario is pulled up by Geno and they both shake hands. They both dash off on a path towards Galeem with the full intent of defeating him.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
One of the things I keep getting caught up on is the importance of music in the DLC. Way back in the olden year of 2006, one of the three things the Brawl poll focused on was music and I feel like that has stayed important to Sakurai after all these years. The soundtracks since Brawl have been sprawling and filled with some of the best music Nintendo has ever produced, period. That's why I feel like it's going to be a big part of the last two characters and it's honestly the thread that connects literally all the third party characters.

Beyond this, there's the sound design too. Sonic and MegaMan's jump. Pac-Man's "Waka Waka." Banjo and Kazooie's goofy noises. The "spotted" sound from Metal Gear. Even things you wouldn't even think about like Bayonetta's super posh accent are incredibly distinct and one of a kind. I don't know too many series left that are really iconic when it comes to music and sound design and decently wanted for Smash. A lot of the ones people suggest are one or the other or maybe they have one tune that people decently recognize but that's about it.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I want the ending to the World of Light storymode to play during the Direct, with all of the Spirits spiraling into space as the Main Theme of Ultimate plays alongside it just as it is in game. Then, as the cinematic reaches where it ended in the game, one spirit drifts away from the mass as the music fades and just hangs there alone in empty space.

Then, a familiar music cue starts slowly building as this small spirit circles and begins to descend back towards the battlefield. As the spirit picks up speed, it begins to change shape from a rainbow ball of light into a shining star as the music finally reaches it's normal speed and reveals itself to be "Geno Awakens" but orchestrated and grandiose. The star breaks through the clouds covering the land below as the fighters are walking away from their battle against Galeem and Dharkon, impacting at the cliffs edge where they witnessed the initial invasion.

As the light fades and the silhouette of a new challenger takes it's place, everyone seems puzzled or even braces for a new enemy. All except Mario, Peach, and Bowser, who look shocked and then run up to greet their old friend, Geno, who finally arrived and is ready to join the party. Cut to fighter footage, attacks, and then a Final Smash, as the trailer ends with Kirby, Rosalina, Ness and Geno bringing down a hail of Stars against Galleom (A Giant Weapon much like what Smithy's Forces were in SMRPG), closing out the trailer with Mario and Geno clasping hands in a "Welcome Back" gesture. Peach notices Bowser has his back to the scene and, after the camera pans around to reveal he, hiding the fact that he too has gotten emotional, has those hanging tears on his face like he did also in SMRPG, Peach pats him on the back as if to say "It's ok. I understand".

End Trailer.
This, but anime style. :cool:

And speaking of World of Light; Hero's reveal trailer gave me the vibes of some additional content potentially coming to that mode. Though, it did look like they were just fighting in the Hyrule zone of the Dark World.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Everyone was already sold on Ultimate by November 1. The momentum of Ultimate was impossible to stop, and as much as people would like to ***** about that Direct til the end of time on these boards, it didn't change a damn thing. The hype was already there, they had succeeded in hooking just about anyone with even a passing interest in the game. That Direct was just giving the rest of the information they had prior to release. It was just an info dump. The months of playable demos, the hype of E3 and the August Direct, the just overall feel of the hype cycle ensured that it didn't matter. At some point they had to drop the information on people that they didn't want to hear. The end is actually such an excellent place to do that because of what I've mentioned above. You've already shown your fans a ton of stuff to impress them and excite them. People were willing to buy the game for a King K. Rool or a Ridley. Once those characters were in, people stop caring as much about the roster. There's always someone else you'd like in the game... but Nintendo already has potentially included your most wanted or top character choices. Complaining about the fact that the game has one or two additional characters that aren't specifically to your liking also becomes a lot less convincing of an argument to belittle the game for. Very few people were alienated by those decisions. If they were, the sales sure as hell do not reflect that in the slightest.

The best selling Smash game of all time in less than 4 months. Regardless of the decision in a vacuum, in reality, the decision was perfectly fine and cost them practically nothing of significance.

And Mr. Game and Watch and Ice Climbers got in Smash before Wario, Diddy Kong, King Dedede, etc. Smash has always been a series that has priortized creativity at certain points above traditional character choices (Even Captain Falcon seems like a weird choice for Smash 64). Creativity brought some of the most interesting characters and identity to Smash. Those sorts of decisions haven't negatively affected Smash in the past based upon sales and have done more to enrich the roster in all honesty. We were never going to get all fan requests, and we never will. It's either Sakurai flexing his creativity and making specific choices or Nintendo arbitrarily including shill picks. I'd much rather have the creativity of the man who has made literally every character he has tried his hand with work in the past.
Well I will say that November Direct while being poor PR did have some negative effect. I am only speaking from my personal view about this, but when I saw that November Direct it actually killed my interest for any future news related to Smash Bros Ultimate. I've been a fan of the series from the very beginning and I never really walk away disappointed from any news when it comes to Smash Bros, but that November Direct somehow zapped away all my excitement. I still got the game regardless but I don't look forward to anything now and I kind of resent Sakurai in a way. To see so many fan favorite gets massacred with no way to be redeemed through DLC and seeing how Piranha Plant became playable, I really hated Sakurai for that. Sure, everyone got the game so it doesn't really matter, but as a person who says he doesn't really want to disappoints people should really learn from these experiences. Sakurai says that he doesn't really get involve with the fan base or how some things are received, he basically stays in his box and refuse to look out of it, so because of that we keep getting Mii Costume and Assist Trophies of our favorite characters because Sakurai thought people would love it since they're in the game. That's really not the case, Sakurai needs to know what the fans like so he can stop waste his and his teams time of developing content that's only going to disappoint.

One of the things I keep getting caught up on is the importance of music in the DLC. Way back in the olden year of 2006, one of the three things the Brawl poll focused on was music and I feel like that has stayed important to Sakurai after all these years. The soundtracks since Brawl have been sprawling and filled with some of the best music Nintendo has ever produced, period. That's why I feel like it's going to be a big part of the last two characters and it's honestly the thread that connects literally all the third party characters.

Beyond this, there's the sound design too. Sonic and MegaMan's jump. Pac-Man's "Waka Waka." Banjo and Kazooie's goofy noises. The "spotted" sound from Metal Gear. Even things you wouldn't even think about like Bayonetta's super posh accent are incredibly distinct and one of a kind. I don't know too many series left that are really iconic when it comes to music and sound design and decently wanted for Smash. A lot of the ones people suggest are one or the other or maybe they have one tune that people decently recognize but that's about it.
Devil May Cry - Great Character, sound, and music.

D

Deleted member

Don't forget Simon's Vampire Killer sound effect when it hits an enemy. That sound comes from Castlevania 1 when the Whip kills an enemy. Im actually kind of surprised i haven't heard any recognizable sound effects in Hero yet, but seeing how i know nothing of Dragon Quest i may be missing something.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I am really late to a lot of things....First and for most, what is Rainbow Theory?

I have an understanding that it is a color that coincides with a characters reveal/design? For example Banjo-Kazooie has Yellow as its prominent color in his trailer.
Soooo Joker is Red, Piranha Plant is Green, and The Hero is Violet?

If that is the case...would we expect 3 more characters or are people putting Blue together as one since 'It rounds out the fighters pass'? If so, that is silly gang.

We would have to have Orange, Blue, AND Indigo.

Would not mind this. I could see Blue being Geno, Indigo as Phoenix Wright and Orange as Doom Slayer.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Well I will say that November Direct while being poor PR did have some negative effect. I am only speaking from my personal view about this, but when I saw that November Direct it actually killed my interest for any future news related to Smash Bros Ultimate. I've been a fan of the series from the very beginning and I never really walk away disappointed from any news when it comes to Smash Bros, but that November Direct somehow zapped away all my excitement. I still got the game regardless but I don't look forward to anything now and I kind of resent Sakurai in a way. To see so many fan favorite gets massacred with no way to be redeemed through DLC and seeing how Piranha Plant became playable, I really hated Sakurai for that. Sure, everyone got the game so it doesn't really matter, but as a person who says he doesn't really want to disappoints people should really learn from these experiences. Sakurai says that he doesn't really get involve with the fan base or how some things are received, he basically stays in his box and refuse to look out of it, so because of that we keep getting Mii Costume and Assist Trophies of our favorite characters because Sakurai thought people would love it since they're in the game. That's really not the case, Sakurai needs to know what the fans like so he can stop waste his and his teams time of developing content that's only going to disappoint.
If you pulled all of the assist trophies and Mii fighter costumes from the game that people want, you might be lucky to get one fighter since they take up such an enormous amount of development time in comparison to everything else. Maybe an Echo to go with that unique fighter if we're really pushing it. That's your alternative option. I hope you understand the ramifications of that trade-off and how many characters are just not going to be in the game period. With the way DLC is going to, none of the first parties had a chance anyway for the Fighter's Pass and wouldn't magically have a better chance because they weren't in base. Sure, there would still be hope for those characters all through DLC and then nothing... No beautiful return in HD for Isaac if only a limited role, Shadow and Knuckles don't exist, Krystal gets zero acknowledgement, Yacht Games and Wayforward don't get their beautiful chances to have a place in Smash, Bomberman doesn't get a mention, etc.

You get one, maybe and I really mean pretty damn unlikely maybe, two character "slots" out of this transaction. Good luck satisfying much of the fan base with that.

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman

Would you consider Super Mario RPG's Sound Effects and Music along those lines Fatman? Cause I personally consider Beware the Forests Mushrooms Iconic and the Sound effects iconic as well just less so.
I am really late to a lot of things....First and for most, what is Rainbow Theory?

I have an understanding that it is a color that coincides with a characters reveal/design? For example Banjo-Kazooie has Yellow as its prominent color in his trailer.

If that is the case...would we expect 3 more characters or are people putting Blue together as one since 'It rounds out the fighters pass'? If so, that is silly gang.

Would not mind this. I could see Blue being Geno, Indigo as Phoenix Wright and Orange as Doom Slayer.

Thoughts?
I would love that honestly Geno and Phoenix Wright are two of my most wanted Characters (Geno being #1 and Phoenix being in my top 5) but just to not expect too much I'd say I don't think this is happening at all. Though yes that's basically what it is, Each Character is associated with a Color on their background for the Smash Website and their color scheme sort of meshes well with each other which is why people think the "Color Theory" may be a thing.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Thoughts?
Indigo isn't considered a rainbow color worldwide, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom