• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Oof, honestly, yeah, that makes sense. I mean, they can always end up breaking the rules (I mean, look how many rules Nintendo's been breaking this year alone), but... yeah. Pretty brutal reality. I just wish they'd give him something. Unless Nintendo buys the rights to SMRPG entirely, that looks grimmer than I thought.

You know what else I thought of? The teases for Banjo and Kazooie are, in hindsight, pretty clear. The witch with the cauldron may be debatable since it's a common theme in different media, but it's a funny coincidence to look back on. It could have been meant as a sign, for all we know. Microsoft and Nintendo's relationship and Microsoft teasing Nintendo's conference for some kind of news is also obvious foreshadowing (again, in hindsight). The hints were hard to tell back then because of how ambiguous Banjo's and Kazooie's fates seemed to be.

Then we have the 'teases' for Geno, the tweet a few months after DLC had been planned, the huge fanfare for the costume in Sm4sh, the HQ quiz sponsored by Nintendo, SMRPG on the SNES Classic, the amount of showing off Nintendo's been doing with Geno's spirit, the SMRPG references that came with Piranha Plant... and they all seem that much more obvious than those for Banjo and Kazooie — yet we may just end up with the Mii costume and nothing else again.

Like, Nintendo, y'all are realizing what you're doing to my heart, right? Like, they can't not be aware of the message they're sending when these hints are even more in-your-face for us Geno fans than Banjo's were for us Banjo fans... right?

Ah, who am I kidding...
Yeah, it's a harsh reality of Mario spinoffs (and I mean, they don't even acknowledge Mario RPGs period when they could easily pull from any number of characters... which is really quite sad too). That's why I've always tended to get pissed off when people suggest (detractors I mean and not fans who just want Geno back) getting Geno into something else before Smash. Smash is his best and easiest route for a comeback by far. I mean, all of the groundwork is already there. A Nintendo franchise that has third parties? Check. A game that already has Square Enix as a third party on board and willing to develop content for the game? Check. Square Enix's biggest two IPs already represented in the game with playable fighters? Check. A willingness to implement fan favorites, even if their third party and very irrelevant to Nintendo and modern gaming? Check. It's all there, which means we really are so damn close to a reality in which Geno is playable. And good god do I want him to be in Ultimate with everyone else so I can say I have my definitive Smash game of all time.

The Green Witch in Stage Builder is entertaining to consider in hindsight, but I still question just how much Sakurai would drop hints like that for characters. It always felt a little too on the nose to be a direct hint for Banjo. Though, the beauty of Microsoft's blooming friendship with Nintendo is what allowed me to seriously believe in Banjo Kazooie in Smash as a real contender. Cuphead on Switch was a big damn moment in inspiring hope for them. It certainly made them more likely.

And honestly, I would say that we've seen a similar development in relationship between Square Enix and Nintendo as of recent. Octopath Traveler; ports of Final Fantasy VII, VIII Remastered, IX, X and X-2, XII, Crystal Chronicles Remastered, and Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon; Dragon Quest Builders 1 and 2 alongside the definitive edition of Dragon Quest XI; Trials of Mana remake and the Collection of Mana; titles like I am Setsuna and Lost Sphere. Honestly, we're seeing the best period in the Square Enix and Nintendo relationship since the SNES era, and that's something that does reassure me about Geno's potential for a return. This would be the time for a new Mario RPG with Square if there ever was one it kind of seems like. Plus, if they're already so close and have done so much work representing the other series in Smash, what's a little Geno between business partners?

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Following the line of Nintendo and SquareEnix's current relationship; one possible scenario would be that they included Geno in Smash, and sometime later a Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars remake were announced.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Yeah, it's a harsh reality of Mario spinoffs (and I mean, they don't even acknowledge Mario RPGs period when they could easily pull from any number of characters... which is really quite sad too). That's why I've always tended to get pissed off when people suggest (detractors I mean and not fans who just want Geno back) getting Geno into something else before Smash. Smash is his best and easiest route for a comeback by far. I mean, all of the groundwork is already there. A Nintendo franchise that has third parties? Check. A game that already has Square Enix as a third party on board and willing to develop content for the game? Check. Square Enix's biggest two IPs already represented in the game with playable fighters? Check. A willingness to implement fan favorites, even if their third party and very irrelevant to Nintendo and modern gaming? Check. It's all there, which means we really are so damn close to a reality in which Geno is playable. And good god do I want him to be in Ultimate with everyone else so I can say I have my definitive Smash game of all time.

The Green Witch in Stage Builder is entertaining to consider in hindsight, but I still question just how much Sakurai would drop hints like that for characters. It always felt a little too on the nose to be a direct hint for Banjo. Though, the beauty of Microsoft's blooming friendship with Nintendo is what allowed me to seriously believe in Banjo Kazooie in Smash as a real contender. Cuphead on Switch was a big damn moment in inspiring hope for them. It certainly made them more likely.

And honestly, I would say that we've seen a similar development in relationship between Square Enix and Nintendo as of recent. Octopath Traveler; ports of Final Fantasy VII, VIII Remastered, IX, X and X-2, XII, Crystal Chronicles Remastered, and Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon; Dragon Quest Builders 1 and 2 alongside the definitive edition of Dragon Quest XI; Trials of Mana remake and the Collection of Mana; titles like I am Setsuna and Lost Sphere. Honestly, we're seeing the best period in the Square Enix and Nintendo relationship since the SNES era, and that's something that does reassure me about Geno's potential for a return. This would be the time for a new Mario RPG with Square if there ever was one it kind of seems like. Plus, if they're already so close and have done so much work representing the other series in Smash, what's a little Geno between business partners?
If I had to guess why we don't see RPG characters in the Mario spin-offs, I think it's because there's some "These aren't our characters" bias going on behind the scenes, since none of the RPG characters were made by the main Mario teams of developers. Which is a damn shame too, I would kill to play as Vivian or Popple or Goombella in Mario Kart.

Last edited:

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
If I had to guess why we don't see RPG characters in the Mario spin-offs, I think it's because there's some "These aren't our characters" bias going on behind the scenes, since none of the RPG characters were made by the main Mario teams of developers. Which is a damn shame too, I would kill to play as Vivian or Popple or Goombella in Mario Kart.
Fawful would be cool as well.

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
When in doubt and when you're sad just remember bap:
B (Fighter)
A (74: )
P (Geno)

Because I for one have faith in Sakurai and Nintendo to put our Star Child in Smash.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Does anyone know have an idea of how well The Hero did in the Smash Ballot?

I have a theory on what Sakurai is doing for the selection.

1) His own pick. (Joker)
2) Japanese Ballot pick. (The Hero)
3) Western Ballot pick. (Banjo-Kazooie)
4) The next Ballot pick. (Bandanna Waddle Dee)
5) The Ballot pick after that. (Geno)

If the selection Nintendo gave him was a list compiled from the Smash Ballot plus a few others, than this might be what our complete Fighter's Pass could look like. Any thoughts?
I think that’d be a really good and interesting DLC lineup. Banjo really made it set for me, even though Geno is my most wanted still, but we can’t always get what we want. Like Fatmanonice mentioned, we still have no clue why Sakurai is using the Vifam figurine. Bayonetta was the supposed ballot pick for Smash 3DS/Wii U, and it seemed that we only got two ballot picks for the Smash 3DS/Wii U DLC lineup, but we can’t guarantee that the DLC will be ballot picks; however, I believe Banjo is what broke this non-guarantee. I think Banjo is definitely a ballot pick, because we still have no new news on a Banjo-Kazooie game coming to the Switch, and out of all the DLC characters so far, Joker (Persona 5 Scramble) and Luminary (Dragon Quest XI) are coming to the Nintendo Switch soon, but Banjo and Kazooie aren’t until they arrive this fall in Smash Ultimate... But, we could get a new Banjo-Kazooie game announcement in the next Direct, who knows? Maybe two will be ballot picks: Banjo and one more, but I’d really like to know how well Geno did on the old ballot... remember that he received the recognition from the final Smash 3DS/Wii U Direct, enough to get his own Mii costume and splash screen, so he was definitely up there.

Still can’t wait for the last two DLC characters, and I think the final one will be huge.

BZocky

Smash Ace
Here from the Banjo camp to say once again that I believe in Geno. With all of these remakes/rereleases of 90’s classics coming down the line from Squeenix themselves, we just may see the long-awaited return from star road.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
But one of the things I don't get there is why isn't there any more Final Fantasy spirits besides Cloud and why Square-Enix is okay with Geno and Mallow representing their spirits section over characters from their most iconic franchise which already has a fighter in the game?
For every one of the third party companies, they only got Spirits for the franchises that were already in the game (i.e. Capcom got Mega Man, Street Fighter and Monster Hunter Spirits, but no Resident Evil). The exception that proves the rule are Rayman and Shantae, which are Spirit only franchises and the only representation for their companies.

So the reason why the only Square Enix Spirits are Cloud, Geno and Mallow is, precisely, because Final Fantasy and Mario are already represented in Smash. That's probably that way for everyone to avoid any extra licensing.
According to the companion, rainbow theory and fan popularity. Two of these groups will be the remaining fighter pass.
View attachment 228256View attachment 228257View attachment 228258
And all of them would make me so happy.
If this ends up being true (it isn't lol, they're both silly theories imo)... sorry Phoenix, I love you, but I'd definitely want to see Geno get in before you.
I'd choose Geno/Mallow and Phoenix/Maya easily though I doubt the Companion theory is an actual thing, Color theory on the other hand with the more I look into it the more I find it to be likelier and likelier just look at how the DLC's backgrounds are just colors unlike the other characters on the Smash bros website. I find that interesting to say the least.

In the case that we can't get both Phoenix and Geno I'd still choose Geno, Sorry Phoenix I love your games but Geno means more to me.
I guess this means... our paths are fated to cross - in war!

Nah jk love you guys

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I'm not a huge supporter of Geno, but I'd be happy if he made it in. Like King K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie, he's a character that's been inactive for many years, but hasn't left the popular consciousness thanks to his very passionate fans, so he's in pretty good company. And I don't think the spirit hurts his chances (or Rayman's, for that matter), since the Lucas and Mewtwo trophies didn't stop those two from getting into Smash 4.

Here's a question, though: what would his home stage be? Forest Maze seems like the obvious choice, and I do love me a video game forest, but I'd rather have Bowser's Keep. Not only would that give us the long-sought-after Bowser's Castle stage, but Exor is by far the most iconic element of Super Mario RPG and it'd be a pity if it weren't represented.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'm not a huge supporter of Geno, but I'd be happy if he made it in. Like King K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie, he's a character that's been inactive for many years, but hasn't left the popular consciousness thanks to his very passionate fans, so he's in pretty good company. And I don't think the spirit hurts his chances (or Rayman's, for that matter), since the Lucas and Mewtwo trophies didn't stop those two from getting into Smash 4.

Here's a question, though: what would his home stage be? Forest Maze seems like the obvious choice, and I do love me a video game forest, but I'd rather have Bowser's Keep. Not only would that give us the long-sought-after Bowser's Castle stage, but Exor is by far the most iconic element of Super Mario RPG and it'd be a pity if it weren't represented.
A lot of people seem to prefer Forest Maze, but Vista Hill is honestly my choice. My other, unpopular choice would be Nimbus Land, frankly.

Also, so many of my fellow Banjo pals are coming in to give their well-wishes and it makes me so happy.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

Geno's stage should be the Factory so we can have a bunch of Machine Mades as hazards, thus allowing the bosses to be Spirits.

Plus it's just really cool visually, like a temple in a blue foggy dimension of nothingness.

Last edited:

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman

Here from the Banjo camp to say once again that I believe in Geno. With all of these remakes/rereleases of 90’s classics coming down the line from Squeenix themselves, we just may see the long-awaited return from star road.
Thanks you two! Congratulations on getting the Bear and Bird! They look really interesting and they really felt like a pipe dream, I'm incredibly impressed and happy that we now have Banjo in Smash! So congratulations! Hopefully the Star Child can come back too. If we get Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo-Kazooie and Geno all in one game that would really feel like the end of an era but it would be so wonderful too!

Also to answer your question Planet, I would actually like a travelling stage that takes you to multiple iconic locals from SMRPG from the games version of Mushroom Kingdom to Tadpole Pond, Forest Maze, Marrymore, Nimbus Land, Vista Hill and of course Bowser's Keep! But in all honesty I find us getting either just Forest Maze or just Bowser's Keep to be the most likely outcome.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

The popular answer is Forest Maze but I always thought Bowers's Castle with Exor would be more fitting for Smash because it's the most iconic image from the game and is an aspect from the Mario franchise that has yet to be represented in the series. It'd make a good contrast to Peach's Castle.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

Well, if this custom stage I made a while back is any indication...
...I'll take Bowser's Keep for 300, please.

Last edited by a moderator:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
2019-2020 seems like the year of the remake/remaster. Square Enix is throwing them out left and right currently. I seriously hope that Super Mario RPG is on their list of games they are wanting to remake.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
2019-2020 seems like the year of the remake/remaster. Square Enix is throwing them out left and right currently. I seriously hope that Super Mario RPG is on their list of games they are wanting to remake.
To be fair, Square Enix has been throwing out remakes and remasters left and right ever since they first figured out they could make money on them a few years back. They've yet to meet a revenue source they won't plunge head first into. Plus, they needed something to release because they really don't seem capable of getting their big projects released in reasonable time frames.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
To be fair, Square Enix has been throwing out remakes and remasters left and right ever since they first figured out they could make money on them a few years back. They've yet to meet a revenue source they won't plunge head first into. Plus, they needed something to release because they really don't seem capable of getting their big projects released in reasonable time frames.
Well right now they seem to be digging deep into their catalog. Considering how we got the Mana collection when those games weren't even released in the west till now.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
TBH I never understood how the forest maze became so closely associated That's where you met him? To me, star hill would be a bit more fitting. However, if we're going for something a bit more iconic Super Mario RPG, I would go with Vista Hill, so you can get a nice view of Bowser's keep with exor sticking out of it.

Forest maze seems like a pretty boring Choice considering the alternatives, the only thing I can imagine that would make it a bit more interesting is a potential stage gimmick, say Bowyer in the background, with his button locking pads. Occasionally, he would shoot one, and disable either standard attacks, special attacks, or grabs. Hopefully this affect wouldn't last As long as it did the actual battle in Super Mario RPG.

My predictions on who the remaining two in the Season Pass are Porky Minch and Lloyd Irving. What about the rest of you guys?
it's weird, there's nothing going on tipping us off As to what could possibly be coming anymore. erdrick is finally in the game, though not the default for the hero like we all expected, banjo is in, Confirming that rumor and seemingly killing the Steve rumor. I don't think there's anyone else where the writing on the wall really points to them. We're kind of Flying Blind here, that makes it much harder to guess.

The cynical side of me says there's not going to be any first party characters. And I also predict one of the characters is going to be Travis touchdown. Lloyd Irving is a decent chance but I'm not so sure his chances are that high. However for the life of me, I can't think of anybody else

the optimistic part of me sees Geno being the very final inclusion That pleases all the longtime fans. I do still think fighter number 4 is going to be something kind of weird and not Highly requested. maybe Yokai Watch.

I'd love to be wrong and have Fighter number for B Porky or Dixie Kong. At this point I think Geno is a 50/50 shot though.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
My predictions on who the remaining two in the Season Pass are Porky Minch and Lloyd Irving. What about the rest of you guys?
I think people have kind of been sleeping on Crash as of late. Beyond that, I have no idea. It could really be anyone at this point.

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice

Bower's Keep for sure, with most of the main bosses as hazards.

Firox

Smash Master
All this discussion of geno appearing In Mario kart and other spinoffs yet I don't see that happening unless he returns to Smash. I think Nintendo is aware of his popularity within the smash scene and bringing him to do anything else but that for his big return seems unrealistic. I feel like he has to come back in either a Mario rpg sequel or smash first. There is no other way he should return. Once he does then he can join Mario kart, party, etc.
I totally agree. It would be great to see Geno in other games and media, but in the same way as Pit and Fire Emblem, Smash Bros is the gateway. It's the acknowledging factor of Smash that decrees to the gaming world that a character has earned their place in the pantheon of legends. Geno is on the cusp, but until he reaches that stage, I doubt we'll see him in anything else. Then again, that's why I'm so pumped to get him into smash. If he makes it, it will not only open the door for him to get into other things like Mario Kart, but it will almost certainly herald a remake or sequel to SMRPG. In short, it will be a much larger deal than just having a fighting puppet in Smash. It will be the glorious revival of a fan favorite.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I only say actually inserting Geno in those games or in Mario in Fortune Street would be the direct way to prove that Geno is a mascot character between the two comapnies relationship if that is what you implying.

To me what now looks like is that Square is indeed in a good relationship with NIntendo, but they don't need a character to represent nor do they think Geno is big enough to be the key. Much like why NIntendo chose Cloud and DQ heroes over Geno in Smash bros despite Banjo was the prior choice from Microsoft. I won't be surprised if next time we just see Mario shakes hand with Erdirck in some other occasion while Geno is still transparent.

Personally I just think Geno should return based on fan demand, that is enough. But making Geno a company relationship mascot needs much more push.

Well, RPG references actually appeared in some other games before, such as star spirits in Mario Party. Not sure if right issue exist between different developers, or I suppose not Geno, but at least using Fawful or Vivian in spinoffs wouldn't be a really big deal.

Would hoenstly doubt it's just kind of preference, which explains why not Dixie and KRool if DKC references are always allowed in Mario spinoffs.

Last edited:

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice
Now that we have three character reveals for smash bros. DLC, who would be your final two picks? Obviously, a lot of you will say Geno and that's absolutely cool. My picks are...

1. Geno
2. Ryu Hayabusa

Firox

Smash Master
Now that we have three character reveals for smash bros. DLC, who would be your final two picks? Obviously, a lot of you will say Geno and that's absolutely cool. My picks are...

1. Geno
2. Ryu Hayabusa
I'd have to say...

1) Geno (Sakurai smiles at the screen) "Ha! You thought a costume would stop him? Guess again!"

2) Isaac (Sakurai laughs maniacally) "'Oh, but he had a costume AND and assist trophy! There's no way!' Well, I'm the Sakurai, *****! I bend reality to my will! Muhahahaha!"

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
I'd have to say...

1) Geno (Sakurai smiles at the screen) "Ha! You thought a costume would stop him? Guess again!"

2) Isaac (Sakurai laughs maniacally) "'Oh, but he had a costume AND and assist trophy! There's no way!' Well, I'm the Sakurai, *****! I bend reality to my will! Muhahahaha!"
Sakurai would basically be like this:

Yeah I'd accept that, Issac and Geno sounds absolutely amazing.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Talk behind the scenes right now is that the second Mii costume pack is going to be really salt inducing and I think I know why. Remember that list of seven accidentally leaked last year? My theory is that all of those characters are technically going to be playable. We already have Luminary, Erdrick, and Slime and Geno's a simple port so the costume returning is really high anyways meaning I theorize that Crono and Sora are both going to wind up as new Mii costumes. Not sure if this is definite because people are being super vague about it but someone even commented that the reveal video was probably going to be bombed with dislikes. I honestly can't think of anything else that would trigger that negative of a reaction.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Talk behind the scenes right now is that the second Mii costume pack is going to be really salt inducing and I think I know why. Remember that list of seven accidentally leaked last year? My theory is that all of those characters are technically going to be playable. We already have Luminary, Erdrick, and Slime and Geno's a simple port so the costume returning is really high anyways meaning I theorize that Crono and Sora are both going to wind up as new Mii costumes. Not sure if this is definite because people are being super vague about it but someone even commented that the reveal video was probably going to be bombed with dislikes. I honestly can't think of anything else that would trigger that negative of a reaction.
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised. They already went out of their way to get Geno's rights to do heck-all with him, so doing that for Crono and Sora would be astoundingly bad, as well.

"But they wouldn't do that, especially since Sora and Crono are beloved characters!"

They did it for Geno. Why wouldn't they do it for Sora and Crono?

EDIT: This also goes hand-in-hand with Sabi's source mentioning Geno as possible DLC. I could see NoA viewing the return of the Geno Mii costume as very salt-inducing.

Last edited:

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
So if that's the case that really means no Geno? Yeah I can see people dislike bombing this thing if they did that to Geno, Sora, Chrono and all the rest that'd just be terrible but it does make sense.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
So if that's the case that really means no Geno? Yeah I can see people dislike bombing this thing if they did that to Geno, Sora, Chrono and all the rest that'd just be terrible but it does make sense.
If this is the case, I'll be appalled that Nintendo dropped the ball that hard. Geno and Sora in particular are the most requested fan favorites in terms of Squeenix characters in the hardcore Smash scene. Them being literally that tone deaf makes sense because, surprise, surprise, it's a combined ****show of Nintendo's and Square's stupidity, but this is even worse than I thought it'd be if this happens. The backlash would be tremendous.

Man, I'm still so over the moon about Banjo and Kazooie, but this is making me infuriated about Geno being neglected all over again, even moreso if Sora and Crono also get the shaft in much the same way. Their fans do NOT deserve that trash.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
That's just my theory anyways. On the upside, at least Geno's Mii costume wouldn't be totally new so there's still that slight chance of a fake out but I don't know if Sakurai's interested in being that cheeky about it.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
That's just my theory anyways. On the upside, at least Geno's Mii costume wouldn't be totally new so there's still that slight chance of a fake out but I don't know if Sakurai's interested in being that cheeky about it.
I sincerely doubt it at this point. If his costume returns, it's a complete deconfirmation for me unless they do more DLC.

Further DLC, especially individual character DLC, will be Geno's only real hope.

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
If this is the case, I'll be appalled that Nintendo dropped the ball that hard. Geno and Sora in particular are the most requested fan favorites in terms of Squeenix characters in the hardcore Smash scene. Them being literally that tone deaf makes sense because, surprise, surprise, it's a combined ****show of Nintendo's and Square's stupidity, but this is even worse than I thought it'd be if this happens. The backlash would be tremendous.

Man, I'm still so over the moon about Banjo and Kazooie, but this is making me infuriated about Geno being neglected all over again, even moreso if Sora and Crono also get the shaft in much the same way. Their fans do NOT deserve that trash.
But I personally though Banjo-Kazooie showed that Nintendo isn't all that tone deaf so this doesn't make sense in that context, I still doubt this is anything more than a rumor though but if it is the case then this is totally tone deaf of which I did not expect Nintendo to do. That would be absurdly tone deaf.

I still believe in Sakurai and Nintendo so I hope this is false but I do not know for sure we can only hope for the best, On the plus side if this does happen at least Chrono and Sora fans get something which is always better than nothing. Of course it would be better for all of these characters to be playable but that's highly unlikely so it's at least something.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
But I personally though Banjo-Kazooie showed that Nintendo isn't all that tone deaf so this doesn't make sense in that context, I still doubt this is anything more than a rumor though but if it is the case then this is totally tone deaf of which I did not expect Nintendo to do. That would be absurdly tone deaf.

I still believe in Sakurai and Nintendo so I hope this is false but I do not know for sure we can only hope for the best, On the plus side if this does happen at least Chrono and Sora fans get something which is always better than nothing. Of course it would be better for all of these characters to be playable but that's highly unlikely so it's at least something.
I believe in Sakurai, don't get me wrong, but he can only do so much with the cards he's given. Then, we have Nintendo and especially Square, known for making a lot of poor decisions that give fans the middle finger. Sure, Banjo and Kazooie are a great indication that they are listening, but they aren't infallible. They're still plenty capable of making brain-dead decisions.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Yeah when people find out that Hero got in before Crono or Sora heads are going to roll. And you just KNOW Sakurai and Nintendo are going to be confused by the outrage because they think that Mii Costumes are better then nothing.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
Forest maze seems like a pretty boring Choice considering the alternatives, the only thing I can imagine that would make it a bit more interesting is a potential stage gimmick, say Bowyer in the background, with his button locking pads. Occasionally, he would shoot one, and disable either standard attacks, special attacks, or grabs. Hopefully this affect wouldn't last As long as it did the actual battle in Super Mario RPG.
Actually, that's exactly why I've always thought it would be a super cool stage.

Talk behind the scenes right now is that the second Mii costume pack is going to be really salt inducing and I think I know why. Remember that list of seven accidentally leaked last year? My theory is that all of those characters are technically going to be playable. We already have Luminary, Erdrick, and Slime and Geno's a simple port so the costume returning is really high anyways meaning I theorize that Crono and Sora are both going to wind up as new Mii costumes.
I don't know why at this stage they'd add Mii costumes not associated with Dragon Quest and BK. The whole deal with the DLC is it's Smash Bros x Other IP. Joker's DLC only had Persona costumes/music/stage, and they haven't released any other costumes at all since launch 6 months ago.

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
I believe in Sakurai, don't get me wrong, but he can only do so much with the cards he's given. Then, we have Nintendo and especially Square, known for making a lot of poor decisions that give fans the middle finger. Sure, Banjo and Kazooie are a great indication that they are listening, but they aren't infallible. They're still plenty capable of making brain-dead decisions.
But they haven't really made a "Brain-Dead" decision for Ultimate yet they added characters we wanted and some we didn't know we wanted with the Roster being absolutely fantastic and while we don't have a lot of modes that isn't really a brain-dead "decision" more like time constraint. There hasn't been a pattern of bad decisions so I don't know why it would start now. That just doesn't seem right to me.

I have faith in Nintendo, If they wanted and got Banjo the same could be said for Geno. Nintendo has shown time and time again that they would put Geno in Smash if they could and Sakurai absolutely wants Geno in Smash. I have faith in both Nintendo and Sakurai.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
But they haven't really made a "Brain-Dead" decision for Ultimate yet they added characters we wanted and some we didn't know we wanted with the Roster being absolutely fantastic and while we don't have a lot of modes that isn't really a brain-dead "decision" more like time constraint. There hasn't been a pattern of bad decisions so I don't know why it would start now. That just doesn't seem right to me.

I have faith in Nintendo, If they wanted and got Banjo the same could be said for Geno. Nintendo has shown time and time again that they would put Geno in Smash if they could and Sakurai absolutely wants Geno in Smash. I have faith in both Nintendo and Sakurai.
Man, I wish I had your optimism, my guy. Honestly, Square is the difference between most of these deals, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're the center of all of this nonsense, but alas, there's no real way to prove it.

I don't know why at this stage they'd add Mii costumes not associated with Dragon Quest and BK. The whole deal with the DLC is it's Smash Bros x Other IP. Joker's DLC only had Persona costumes/music/stage, and they haven't released any other costumes at all since launch 6 months ago.
They ported over Knuckles' and Tails' costumes with Joker, so at least in terms of ported ones, it really isn't so farfetched.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
The only thing I find REALLY salt inducing about Mii costumes is how hideous and poorly made they look. The only one I like so far is Knuckles because his bulbous head fits the proportions of the Mii and the textures look pretty good. Everything else looks like they slapped a cheap outfit on an alien baby. If they could at least make the costume legitimately LOOK like said character, then I'd actually be cool with whoever ended up as one. For example, if the Isaac costume looked identical to his assist trophy, except with the moveset and frame data of the mii swordfighter, then I'd consider him in and wouldn't complain in the least. Instead, we're gifted with more of what I'd consider a caricature of said character. It's like expecting a Ferrari and getting an Acura instead (obscure southpark reference). lol It's just not the same!

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The only thing I find REALLY salt inducing about Mii costumes is how hideous and poorly made they look. The only one I like so far is Knuckles because his bulbous head fits the proportions of the Mii and the textures look pretty good. Everything else looks like they slapped a cheap outfit on an alien baby. If they could at least make the costume legitimately LOOK like said character, then I'd actually be cool with whoever ended up as one. For example, if the Isaac costume looked identical to his assist trophy, except with the moveset and frame data of the mii swordfighter, then I'd consider him in and wouldn't complain in the least. Instead, we're gifted with more of what I'd consider a caricature of said character. It's like expecting a Ferrari and getting an Acura instead (obscure southpark reference). lol It's just not the same!
That's exactly my beef. If the Mii costume actually looked like Geno and not like some crappy bootleg from a flea market, I'd be completely fine with it, but they won't try to improve the design to make us satisfied. They'll just port it, be like, "lol, done!" and think that we'll be happy until the next Smash 6-8 years from now.

Like, no? Like... not at all, no?? ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom