• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, I'll certainly take a Geno costume over nothing. That'd be a huge downgrade from Smash 4. Just a PNG is definitely not as good. Though hey, there's a lot more we could get. Maybe a Mallow costume too? I guess as a Brawler?

I'm hoping we get some neat Rareware costumes too. I'm worried Killer Instinct will be ignored.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
So then...

While I know we’re all pretty bummed about no geno and our time in limbo seems even worse, as now we gotta hope se are willing to have one more character, and nintendo is willing to to request him, but we still have sakurais blessings, and if banjo could get in, maybe we still have a shot.

So... don’t give up hope. I know for certain users it seems it’s not possible for them to cling to any hope anymore, but damnit, did we truly think we’d ever get banjo back on a nintendo console again? Anything is possible.
As much as I hate saying this, I do think everyone needs to give up hope for this Fighter's Pass. Don't get me wrong, I 1001% believe there will be more DLC post-Feb 2020 (I have a feeling they're selling this pass/individual fighters like crazy), and they'll probs release single packs in the future with no pass (Sakurai is very against passes). I think then he'll have a shot.

So, unless a Geno costume is shown off, I think we came out of today better off in regards to Geno support. Let's make sure to still be active and support our puppet to the best of our abilities.

Won't be long before we hit page 1,000.
I'm kinda expecting it as we get closer to mid-summer when DQ Hero will be released. I don't think it for sure deconfirms him, but just brings the costume back into the game from Smash 4.

Well, I'll certainly take a Geno costume over nothing. That'd be a huge downgrade from Smash 4. Just a PNG is definitely not as good. Though hey, there's a lot more we could get. Maybe a Mallow costume too? I guess as a Brawler?
If they ever considered making another Mii Fighter, they should make a generic magic-user type "Mii Mage" or something like that. A lot of costumes would fit a lot better with an explicitly magic-based moveset (Mallow obviously included).

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
We won't know about Mii costumes till closer to Hero's release. I would be surprised if Geno's costume is absent. But that would just fuel hope that there is a chance he is fighter 4 or 5

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If they ever considered making another Mii Fighter, they should make a generic magic-user type "Mii Mage" or something like that. A lot of costumes would fit a lot better with an explicitly magic-based moveset (Mallow obviously included).
Gunner has similarities, but I could see something closer to a Staff-wielding projectile user instead. That would be pretty sweet to go with.

Coincidentally that fits better for one of my wants, Brian.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
So I have a new proposal. Let's get this channel to 1000 pages. We currently have the most pages for speculation. Let's keep it that way and not give up!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm a little disappointed that the SE character was "Hero" but I had been hearing rumors from leakers for a while that fit that.

However, Banjo is just too exciting for me to be that much disappointed.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I personally think calling him Hero is really funny. "Hero.....wins!" Also Tansuit is wrong because he leaked Erdrick not Hero. Doesn't count because Erdrick is not the main skin. :4pacman:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Wait, can we go back to the freeslots theory? Cuz I think B&K uses 1 While The Heroes uses 4, Right? How many are left
I think we started with 30, someone correct me if I’m wrong. So far, Piranha Plant took one, Joker took two, Hero’s taking four, and B&K are taking 1-2 depending on whether they have a Dragon Kazooie skin. That leaves 21-22, which is noticeably more than two characters could possibly fill out even if every single costume slot they had was a unique model.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I personally think calling him Hero is really funny. "Hero.....wins!" Also Tansuit is wrong because he leaked Erdrick not Hero. Doesn't count because Erdrick is not the main skin. :4pacman:
Plus he said male and female ALTs, as did most other people. Coincidentally enough, Verge's super vague statements about DQ content last August wound up being the most accurate overall.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It actually makes sense. The default name in Dragon Quest is "hero"

I used to just name my character that

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Hopefully they'll use names like Bowser Jr. IIRC the names are Luminary, Erdrick, Solo, and... ... I don't remember the last one. Someone told me the names; the only one I knew beforehand is Erdrick

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Hopefully they'll use names like Bowser Jr. IIRC the names are Luminary, Erdrick, Solo, and... ... I don't remember the last one. Someone told me the names; the only one I knew beforehand is Erdrick
Most people just refer to the DQ8 hero as just Eight, so probably just... that? ???

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Imagine if after the 5th Character reveal, there is "One more announcement" where they show us Rosalina talking to Geno about "Congratulations on granting all those wishes, now is my turn, to grant yours." and Geno is revealed as an Extra character like the cherry on the cake

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Also. It wasn't just noticable to me how... promotional Hero's reveal went right? If Erdrick is so popular they could have easily made him the main skin. But they made the main skin the hero from the newest dragon quest game and made the Smash Bros X logo for the newest dragon quest game. Then completely transitioning into a trailer for said Dragon Quest game. It all really came off as a Corrin style reveal to me.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This would be the first thing Tansut got wrong.

However, the context of how he got the name actually makes it so he didn't know Erdrick was the default either. He asked if Erdrick was in, and got a "sure why not". He never got a straight answer.

Saying both kinds of alts is 100% wrong though.

Also, the best part is Verge actually went out of his way to mention Erdrick is a title, not necessarily a full character name. That's what makes him more accurate than Tansut in this way.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
not to bring up hopes but remember when sakurai said he was given a list for him to choose to make into a character. who is to say Geno aint one of the 2
The fact that Square is super stingy so we probably only getting one Square Enix and that's The Hero. Also us getting that Geno Spirit is a good indicator that he ain't getting in.

link2702

Smash Champion
Imagine if after the 5th Character reveal, there is "One more announcement" where they show us Rosalina talking to Geno about "Congratulations on granting all those wishes, now is my turn, to grant yours." and Geno is revealed as an Extra character like the cherry on the cake
If that happened I’d literally cry. Doesn’t matter if i was home, school, or work.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
This is so exciting! Now all we have to do is wait two months for Hero to drop....and then another two for BK....and then another two to find out that the next DLC will drop two after that....:psycho:

BTW, I just realized that DQ are the same initials for Dairy Queen, and BK are the same as Burger King. ROFL! I found a pattern guys! The next DLC will have something to do with TB! Taco Bell! (....oh, I'm so tired right now....)
33089898-ED0B-4F4F-B8A7-649032DF5C09.png

Terry Bogard from Fatal Fury? :confused:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
The fact that Square is super stingy so we probably only getting one Square Enix and that's The Hero. Also us getting that Geno Spirit is a good indicator that he ain't getting in.
Buddy, sorry for spoil you but Cloud, from FF (from SE) and 4 Heroes, from DQ (from SE) are in the game now. Is it really a fact that they're as stingy as you think?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Maybe they're just stingy about Final Fantasy because Dragon Quest has at least one all new remix of the main theme, four fully functional character models, a full CGI trailer, and literally every main Hero in the final Smash. We don't even know the inevitable Mii costumes or all the music and Dragon Quest already has like five times the content Final Fantasy got which is surreal given how DQ has been a legal jungle for 30+ years.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Maybe they're just stingy about Final Fantasy because Dragon Quest has at least one all new remix of the main theme, four fully functional character models, a full CGI trailer, and literally every main Hero in the final Smash. We don't even know the inevitable Mii costumes or all the music and Dragon Quest already has like five times the content Final Fantasy got which is surreal given how DQ has been a legal jungle for 30+ years.
I also think Nintendo tried harder with Dragon Quest because they have more of a stake in it then Final Fantasy. Considering how they publish a few of them and seem to have a heavy interest in keeping the games on thier systems. Basically what I'm trying to say is Nintendo overall likes Dragon Quest more than Final Fantasy. So they tried harder getting more Dragon Quest rights. Final Fantasy is still thought of as primarily a Sony property. All the new games coming out are exclusive to Sony. There is more capital to be gained from Dragon Quest for them.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Another thing is Dragon Quest has different IP owners. It's possible that they were less of an issue than the various Final Fantasy IP owners.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
There was a problem fetching the tweet

If you give up, you fail without even trying

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
So this may veer into the realm of ridiculousness but hear me out: I think there’s a possibility we could get a character that was previously just a spirit as a surprise playable character. Thus far the intro movies seemed pretty removed from one another. However today’s direct reveals showed direct continuations of stories from previous cinematics. For BK it was a direct follow-up to the K.Rool reveal. For Hero there was a direct continuation of the story set up in the WoL intro but much later in the “plot” as Dharkon was present as were the corrupted fighters. Basically what I think might happen is a continuation of the scene in Hero’s cinematic much like how the K. Rool scene was followed up on. I think it’s possible there’ll be a situation where a disembodied spirit re-materializes to help defend Link and Hero. Either that or one of the two remaining FP characters will have a continuation of that scene. Why else have non-story cinematics connected to WoL like this?

If you give up, you fail without even trying
Okay I’m going to be honest. I was not expecting this many people to be more hopeful for Geno after the Erdrick reveal of all things but that definitely seems like what may be happening. Like a pro-Geno reply in that thread had more likes than a Sora one. What dimension is this?

Last edited by a moderator:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So this may veer into the realm of ridiculousness but hear me out: I think there’s a possibility we could get a character that was previously just a spirit as a surprise playable character. Thus far the intro movies seemed pretty removed from one another. However today’s direct reveals showed direct continuations of stories from previous cinematics. For BK it was a direct follow-up to the K.Rool reveal. For Hero there was a direct continuation of the story set up in the WoL intro but much later in the “plot” as Dharkon was present as were the corrupted fighters. Basically what I think might happen is a continuation of the scene in Hero’s cinematic much like how the K. Rool scene was followed up on. I think it’s possible there’ll be a situation where a disembodied spirit re-materializes to help defend Link and Hero. Either that or one of the two remaining FP characters will have a continuation of that scene. Why else have non-story cinematics connected to WoL like this?
It's a cool theory, and would certainly assist one of my most wanted(Shantae (Edit: And Geno, wow I am dumb)), but I think they just did that because DQ has this whole "light vanquishing darkness" thing(At least from what I hear).

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I mean, I think Geno's missed his chance for Ultimate, but while you think that'd make me feel more sour... after seeing Banjo, I am now more HOPEFUL. Geno will absolutely come back one day, guys, as long as we keep that train rolling. He'll be back with Mallow in tow, just you wait. It'll be a glorious day, too, and it will be worth all of the years of bad news and broken hearts.

Believe. Take it from the girl who thought B-K would never come home ever again, no matter the circumstances. Believe.

D

Deleted member

The story of how Geno becomes a fighter is that out of all of the spirits that had lost their bodies, his spirit is the only one that is able to find said lost body and therefore is able to join the rest of the roster in battle.

Just thought of this today.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I haven't dropped in in a long time, but I want to say something after today's direct.

Geno isn't coming in this fighter pass. But as many of you have already stated, Ridley was always never going to happen, K.Rool was always never going to happen, Banjo Kazooie was always never going to happen. But their fans rallied. It paid off.

If we give up hope and pushing for Geno, he will never happen. But we can't do that. We do have to believe for this character. Because at some point, we are going to look back and say "Geno was always never going to happen...but he's in"

If you think about it, how many old school characters are left that are as hyped as Geno? I feel like he's one of the few left. We'll get our day, but this fighters pass is not it, and that's okay.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Banjo joining gives me a lot of hope for geno because geno has ALWAYS been crazy popular, and sakurai knows it. I highly doubt he'll be in this pass, but the fact that we still don't have a mii costume is highly suspect for me. Sakurai stated that he couldn't add in rex in time so they gave him his costume as a way of saying sorry. We still have not gotten ours back. That leads me to believe that he's holding it back because he possibly has plans for us in the future. In time we'll see.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Banjo joining gives me a lot of hope for geno because geno has ALWAYS been crazy popular, and sakurai knows it. I highly doubt he'll be in this pass, but the fact that we still don't have a mii costume is highly suspect for me. Sakurai stated that he couldn't add in rex in time so they gave him his costume as a way of saying sorry. We still have not gotten ours back. That leads me to believe that he's holding it back because he possibly has plans for us in the future. In time we'll see.
Nah, I can guarantee that it hasn't come back yet because it was planned to be released with Luminary. That said, a Mii costume wouldn't stop Geno from coming in the future if they add him to the plans. It all just depends on how long Smash Ultimate goes on for, and honestly, Banjo has shown us that they're listening. In fact, with the Duck Hunt meme fake-out they did, you can be certain that they're listening even more closely than we thought. They have some laser focus on Smash speculation right now, let me tell you.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
-opps wrong thread-
Anyway I always loved the thought of Geno and Rosalina existing in the same universe. And Rosalina being Geno's master of sorts.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, besides the Smash stuff, what was the highlight of the Direct for you guys? I am really curious of the BotW sequel, as I have the feeling Zelda will be playable and Ganondorf will certainly play a big role.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I gotta say, I'm really impressed with you all. Many would think that after a double wammy of Hero (Erdrick) and B-K, that most of us would throw in the towel and cave in to despair, but as we've seen here today, it's exactly the opposite. I haven't seen Geno's fans more fiery or hopeful since I started posting on this thread. If anything, we've learned a valuable lesson from B-K. If we fight hard enough, and long enough, our boy WILL come home. One way or another, sooner or later...he will. As long as there's a Smash, there can be a Geno. It's his doorway back to our world.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Most people just refer to the DQ8 hero as just Eight, so probably just... that? ???
Supposedly Eight has the nickname Guv in-game, so that's how I'll call him. While Luminary and Erdrick are titles, they don't come off as being title-y at first glance and instead would be treated more as fancy oldtime fantasy names. At least Erdrick has 'Rick' at the end, so it acts like a real name.

Only Solo is out, unless you think of Han Solo. Also, his fish gill helmet crown thing is distracting. He'll be called Carl.

I expect they'll get amiibos. Funny how Richter and Dark Samus were two of the earlier characters announced and their amiibos are coming out more than a year later.

Last edited:

RedDragon64

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8521-4195-4716
I gotta say, I'm really impressed with you all. Many would think that after a double wammy of Hero (Erdrick) and B-K, that most of us would throw in the towel and cave in to despair, but as we've seen here today, it's exactly the opposite. I haven't seen Geno's fans more fiery or hopeful since I started posting on this thread. If anything, we've learned a valuable lesson from B-K. If we fight hard enough, and long enough, our boy WILL come home. One way or another, sooner or later...he will. As long as there's a Smash, there can be a Geno. It's his doorway back to our world.
The thing that keeps me going is the fact that Crazier things have happened and banjo got my hope to keep going LONG LIVE GENO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom