• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Nintendo screwed me over two months ago. I paid for a three month membership back in December and after my three month membership expired, I was charged for a renewal automatically, which is not what I wanted. I forgot to turn the stupid automatic renewal off. I was so pissed! I turned it off, that way it never does it again against my behalf.
That's standard with any subscription service.

Firox

Smash Master
I'm surprised they're forcing me to ****ing pay extra for said online acess when I already paid plenty of money for the game, and especially when they never did this with their online before, and especially when it's as bad as it is. It's the same online we've gotten for years. From the DS to the 3Ds to the Wii and Wii U, and it's hardly improved at all, and they STILL want you to pay extra per year for the same **** with almost no improvements/enhancements. It's never not gonna be a ****ty practice, and I sure as hell ain't gonna be pleased to pay extra for something as basic as downloading levels in a game I already PAID FOR when I barely have any money as it is. Could have spent that money on an indie game or some lunch, but nope, I have to use it just to access half of a game I already purchased because it hinges on a feature that they used to offer for free year after year with no added improvements to make up for it.
I mean, as much as I love nintendo's games, their infrastructure is some of the worst **** I've ever seen. Just look as the switch's UI for feck's sake. Your choices of background color are white and....wait for it....black. The end. That's it. The 3ds had a dozen colors with TONS of cool themed backgrounds both for free and for purchase, yet after 2 years it feels like those idiots at nintendo have only put in the dead minimum. This is their current flagship system and that's all they can do? Why not at least blue and red backgrounds?! It's pathetic when you think about it. And don't even get me started on the mediocrity of their online. Lemme just second your points. If they expect us to pay for the online, then how about at least a freaking token amount of investment?! Greedy little ********.

Anyways, I do think that Mario Maker 2 seems to really hit home where the first one fell short. Still on the fence about it though. I thought the first one would have infinite replay value but I got bored of it in just a couple of weeks due to the general populace's habit of making stages either stupidly easy or downright absurdly hard. If anything, it taught me that it really does take some serious skill on the developer's part to make a well balanced stage....skill that most people just don't have. I guess I'll wait and see this time whether it has any stay-power.

In other, slightly more random news, I was thinking about who Nintendo could possibly unveil at E3 for the next Smash DLC. A thought came to mind: What is arguably the most anticipated big-seller on the docket this year? Pokemon Sword and Shield. If Nintendo has any brains, I'm sure they'll have at least some exhibition for it at E3, and given Nintendo's tendency to mingle promotion with DLC, I could easily see one of the next DLC to be a gen 8 pokemon. I have no idea who they would choose since I don't know any of the gen 8 pokes, but the timing would be pretty convenient. Not saying that I would really want another pokemon on the roster from a set I don't know, but if you put yourself in Nintendo's shoes, it seems like a sensible move. Thoughts?

domriver

Smash Lord
And Smithy. I believe he still could be alive. There is a video about that:
Interesting of course and me to as i child i never thought about it twice. However with this video i can actually see this as a reason for SMRPG 2 : Revenge of Smithy or whatever. With technology and what not at its current stage i have no doubt it would be beautiful. Our only hope is that Nintendo knows about this and is doing something about it but i guess we shall wait and see or maybe nothing will really ever happen with it. :( This coming up E3 would be a dream come true IF a Banjo/Geno reveal along with a w/ remake and/OR new entry en SMRPG and/or Banjo-Kazooie. I hope your reading this Nintendo officials. lol

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
So SourceGaming did another poll for Smash Ultimate most wanted DLC. Banjo got first place. Guess who got fifth? ;)
Lots of backhanded comments though regarding him being a “bandwagon” pick and saying people want him because of his design. Which is funny considering he’s ranked pretty high on polls for years now and the character that came before him Steve only shot up in popularity in less than a year after DLC “”leaks”” lol Also the comment about SMRPG not being readily available even though through VC and the SNES Classic it’s had multiple re-releases.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Lots of backhanded comments though regarding him being a “bandwagon” pick and saying people want him because of his design. Which is funny considering he’s ranked pretty high on polls for years now and the character that came before him Steve only shot up in popularity in less than a year after DLC “”leaks”” lol
Yeah, true, but that's unneeded perspective and bias. The numbers are what matter here. I really don't care how SG thinks and how he views Geno + his fan base. The amount of outcry people have for seeing him return, something that's been consistently going on for over a decade, speaks for itself.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Yeah, true, but that's unneeded perspective and bias. The numbers are what matter here. I really don't care how SG thinks and how he views Geno + his fan base. The amount of outcry people have for seeing him return, something that's been consistently going on for over a decade, speaks for itself.
Oh yeah for sure. I just thought it was funny he still went out of his way to make obviously biased statements like that.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Oh yeah for sure. I just thought it was funny he still went out of his way to make obviously biased statements like that.
Yeah, he does this for multiple characters, and it's frankly pretty unnecessary. No one is going to want to view his video for his opinions when the main focus is the final tally. He can post his opinions separate of that, if at all. I personally discourage it. It's an incredibly unprofessional look, and if he's trying to be a 'source' of any kind, he cannot show his biases so blatantly. It's terrible journalism and leaves a sour taste. People will retaliate because of his personal views, positive or negative, and it's what can ultimately break your coverage. I'm honestly kind of baffled that he thought this was fine, no matter whether I agree or disagree with any of his opinions. It's just begging to ignite controversy and squabbles for no good reason, drawing attention away from the main point.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Yeah, he does this for multiple characters, and it's frankly pretty unnecessary. No one is going to want to view his video for his opinions when the main focus is the final tally. He can post his opinions separate of that, if at all. I personally discourage it. It's an incredibly unprofessional look, and if he's trying to be a 'source' of any kind, he cannot show his biases so blatantly. It's terrible journalism and leaves a sour taste. People will retaliate because of his personal views, positive or negative, and it's what can ultimately break your coverage. I'm honestly kind of baffled that he thought this was fine, no matter whether I agree or disagree with any of his opinions. It's just begging to ignite controversy and squabbles for no good reason, drawing attention away from the main point.
Especially with this being an objective poll of people’s desires. It just seems really tacky to me. Honestly who knows if he did it with the intent of drawing people to his video to get in Internet arguments about the things he said.

Last edited:

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
Source reminds me more of Lax every time I see a vid from them.

And yeah I also think it's the flavor of the week to poo poo on Geno honestly. Edgy bandwagon kids.

Also was it unreasonable of me to expect some sort of Mario RPG type reference and or Easter egg in the MM2 direct? Theyve been dropping those around lately

And I know Gamefaqs is terrible for Geno fans lately... but gosh it really is the worst

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Flaming
And yeah I also think it's the flavor of the week to poo poo on Geno honestly. Edgy bandwagon kids.
Screw those edgy turds. I'll just assume "silent tiger" mode and sit quietly while they flap their gums. Then if Geno gets in, I will relish the amount of crow I get to ram down their throats....:grin:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
You guys gave me your energy to accomplish this, so I think it's only fair that you get to witness the end results.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/425670550

Also I plan on streaming tomorrow to finish the game but since there isn't much left it either will be a very short stream or I'll move on to play something else.

If I do move on to stream something else, I will likely be streaming from my PS4 which means only one platform.

I have some ideas for some more SMRPG content but I'm going to give myself a break from the game after beating it so I don't feel like I'm forcing myself to play a game I love.

I still need more fanart, our girl Ovaltine Ovaltine is taking up all the screen time.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
In all honesty, this kind of behavior is what made me unsub from their channel. I still read their translated articles from time to time, but when it comes to speculation... they drop the ball pretty hard. I think they care more about "being right" that characters like Sora, Banjo and Geno won't be in than actually wanting characters like Erdrick and Steve. Which makes it kinda funny considering they "called out" Geno bandwagoners.

Like... "I do wonder how many people picked him for his design or because he has been hyped up for so long". That sentence, out of context, could describe pretty much any character with huge support behind them.

domriver

Smash Lord
Well, well, well, what have we here?

Brought this over from the Banjo thread. Its not really Geno related but interesting none the less. Thoughts? :D

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Brought this over from the Banjo thread. Its not really Geno related but interesting none the less. Thoughts? :D
Eh? ... Ehhhhhhh?

I don't think this necessarily means we're getting Banjo or Conker info per se, but the fact that Rare is sending out invitations like that?

Very, VERY interesting, indeed.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Also was it unreasonable of me to expect some sort of Mario RPG type reference and or Easter egg in the MM2 direct? They've been dropping those around lately.
Reasonable. I was expecting an 8-bit costume of a SMRPG character to appear as part of the new content in the Direct, and I was really expecting Boshi to appear as an 8-bit costume.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Reasonable. I was expecting an 8-bit costume of a SMRPG character to appear as part of the new content in the Direct, and I was really expecting Boshi to appear as an 8-bit costume.
I hope we get SMRPG costumes if the Mystery Mushroom comes back. It's not over for the Mystery Mushroom until the game is out and datamined + the hypothetical DLC cycle for the game has concluded, but I can't help but be a bit concerned. I really wanted to experience those. :(

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Personally I don't have anything against Source Gaming stating their opinions on some characters. It would be a very boring video if it were just listing statistics, and it's much better journalism than if they were passing their opinions off as facts.

I certainly disagree with some of his opinions, but if I were to make a video like that, I would certainly express my thoughts on each character.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Personally I don't have anything against Source Gaming stating their opinions on some characters. It would be a very boring video if it were just listing statistics, and it's much better journalism than if they were passing their opinions off as facts.

I certainly disagree with some of his opinions, but if I were to make a video like that, I would certainly express my thoughts on each character.
I mean... it's not wrong to give your opinions on the characters per se, but there are quite a few times where it feels like they're trying to do exactly that - pass these opinions off as facts. Calling Geno "the bandwagoning king" kind of crosses that line. Kinda like how a few "insiders" kept saying that Steve was more deserving than Banjo or Erdrick is more than Sora just to provoke an emotional response. People are entitled to their opinions on these matters, but that's all they ultimately are - opinions.

As long as people acknowledge that, I think we're all good.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Opinions are fine. Expressing them in a manner to ignite fanbases and using words that clearly are bashing/intending to bait others? Not fine.

Unfortunately a lot of opinion pieces tend to go for the latter instead of the former, which should be being respectful and not trying to use words that piss people off. I love SG's articles, but yeah, sounds like their podcasts have a lot of issues about being put out thoughtfully.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I mean... it's not wrong to give your opinions on the characters per se, but there are quite a few times where it feels like they're trying to do exactly that - pass these opinions off as facts. Calling Geno "the bandwagoning king" kind of crosses that line. Kinda like how a few "insiders" kept saying that Steve was more deserving than Banjo or Erdrick is more than Sora just to provoke an emotional response. People are entitled to their opinions on these matters, but that's all they ultimately are - opinions.

As long as people acknowledge that, I think we're all good.
Personally I don't think bandwagoning is a derogatory term. I didn't feel anything said was an attack towards the Geno fandom.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Personally I don't think bandwagoning is a derogatory term. I didn't feel anything said was an attack towards the Geno fandom.
It isn't inherently, no, but I can see why it'd be taken that way. A lot of Geno's vocal hate base use 'bandwagoning' in a very negative connotation, as if it's wrong to perceive a character as having a chance for Smash and thus, hopping on the support wagon. It's much like with Erdrick. People have supported him for a long time, but they didn't really see him as having a chance and resigned to silence. With the idea of him seeming more likely, the fan base became far more vocal.

However, when it comes to Geno, people have found this stereotype that none of Geno's fans have played SMRPG and are just supporting him because their favorite Youtubers tell them to. I cannot for the life of me figure out where that came from when 99% of the Geno fans I've met have played the game and genuinely like the character. Whatever the case, they use that and bandwagoning in a negative light, and SG's remarks definitely come off that way. It's really... not cool to do that, especially when other fandoms do that and it's perfectly fine. What makes Geno's different from Erdrick's? Both of their fans are entirely valid.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
It isn't inherently, no, but I can see why it'd be taken that way. A lot of Geno's vocal hate base use 'bandwagoning' in a very negative connotation, as if it's wrong to perceive a character as having a chance for Smash and thus, hopping on the support wagon. It's much like with Erdrick. People have supported him for a long time, but they didn't really see him as having a chance and resigned to silence. With the idea of him seeming more likely, the fan base became far more vocal.

However, when it comes to Geno, people have found this stereotype that none of Geno's fans have played SMRPG and are just supporting him because their favorite Youtubers tell them to. I cannot for the life of me figure out where that came from when 99% of the Geno fans I've met have played the game and genuinely like the character. Whatever the case, they use that and bandwagoning in a negative light, and SG's remarks definitely come off that way. It's really... not cool to do that, especially when other fandoms do that and it's perfectly fine. What makes Geno's different from Erdrick's? Both of their fans are entirely valid.
Like I've said before, I feel this is because they care about being right regarding characters like Erdrick and Steve. I remember the livestream post-final direct, where they spent a good ten minutes or so mocking the people who fell for the Grinch Leak and saying that "Minecraft is so popular, there's no way there won't be any content in Smash Ultimate". This is clearly baiting, if you ask me.

Then there's the one with Sora, "Although I made the copyright joke I actually don’t think that’s what will prevent Sora, I honestly feel it is simply that Dragon Quest is the bigger, more iconic, series. Sorry Sora fans.". Like, if this kind of thing was posted on Smashboards, a lot of people would classify it as a kind of troll post.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

I do think in some cases there's a bit of a 'trendy' thing that gets some people into it, which is true in a few cases, but most geno fans i've seen have been around for quite a long time.. if anything, I have a lot of respect for dedicated geno and isaac fans, including for hanging in there after all these years. :O
The only thing I would say is that it may be hard to feel good about the new characters if someone puts all their eggs in one basket. But sticking with a character when there's other trends going around doesn't seem that much of a bandwagon to me :p

link2702

Smash Champion
man my week has been hell. Wednesday was bad enough that it literally made me consider walking off my job and quitting, and tomorrow I'm actually calling in using my sick time just so I can go searching for a different job... Even my normal days off of today and tuesday have not been fun...It's been stressful in my home life and my work life.

Sorry I know that's waaaaaay off topic but i just needed to vent.....

MattX20

Smash Hero
Hmm...that Source Gaming video claiming Geno's bandwagoning? That's more accurate of Erdrick right now

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
How people interpret a term that by itself has no negative connotation is on them. I know Geno fans have had a rough time, but you can't expect to be tiptoed around with careful wording all the time.
Then there's the one with Sora, "Although I made the copyright joke I actually don’t think that’s what will prevent Sora, I honestly feel it is simply that Dragon Quest is the bigger, more iconic, series. Sorry Sora fans.". Like, if this kind of thing was posted on Smashboards, a lot of people would classify it as a kind of troll post.
Oh c'mon that's just an opinion. I'm a Sora fan and I have zero issue with that. DQ has sold more than KH.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Oh c'mon that's just an opinion. I'm a Sora fan and I have zero issue with that. DQ has sold more than KH.
It's not a matter of "having issues" or not, I simply expect better from an official news source. Like, if it was some anonymous dude on GameFaqs, I wouldn't bat an eye.

And yes, DQ sold more. It's also existed for far longer. And yet, even Erdrick supporters agree that a DQ rep would help promote it in the west. Meaning how iconic (that was SG's argument, not "highest-grossing") either of them is in relation to the other is not only debatable, but really depends on who you ask. There's a similar debate between Steve and Banjo, which is equally unproductive. That was my point: saying this sort of thing sounds less like an official news source and more like a bait post on a forum.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
His argument against Geno was weird. What is wrong in wanting a character for Smash because of the style or because they have a tradition of being supported? I don't think this makes the pick less legitimate, like, Joker to me is as far as 'illegitimate' as it gets, not on Nintendo and a very recent release that didn't exactly 'change the market'... and I absolutely love him because of the style alone, his stage, his victory screen, all that sold me on the character.

I dislike how obsessed people can get with defining other wishes as legitimate and proper or illegitimate and bandwagon. Like, yes for some niche characters you could say a lot of people know them more from smash discussion than their own game, that means nothing, it's just the mean from which they knew the characters. A lot of people first met Earthbound through Smash, doesn't mean they are illegitimate fans. It's just how they met the games. Its the same things with leaks and fake rumors, most of the time all leaks do is to bring attention to a certain character, letting people know more about their case of 'why they should be in Smash'.

Also really question how SMRPG isn't readily available, SNES Classic is on the market, as far as I know, that is a 2010s release of the game.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
How people interpret a term that by itself has no negative connotation is on them. I know Geno fans have had a rough time, but you can't expect to be tiptoed around with careful wording all the time.

I think in the way that he said it that there's most definitely an implication there that people who are fans of the character/voted for him did so out of some bandwagon popularity or because of some superficial reason like his design (which he brought up) without actually knowing or liking the character. And again context is important because he really didn't say that for any of the newer names being thrown around due to speculation. It honestly reeks of negative bias whether doing so was unconscious on his part or not. To me it was the fact that the statement about bandwagoning was paired with the obviously incorrect statement about SMRPG not being very available. Those together give off a sentiment that "People voting for Geno didn't play the game because how could they? So they're obviously just voting for him because it's popular to do". Tbh I wonder if it has to do with the fact that he's European. SMRPG hadn't been available there until the VC ports so maybe he dismissed the fact that there are a ton of people from elsewhere in the world that did play the SNES version in the years after its original release.

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I just thought of a HILARIOUS turn of events that, while unlikely, do have a small percentage chance of happening (it's super unlikely IMO)

What if all the rumors we've heard about Erdrick were true? Well, specifically in regards to a DQ character being in the game. And what if the rumors of Steve being in the game also? Specifically in regards to a building-based moveset?

And what if while both of these could be true, everyone was actually getting PUNKED?

The protagonist from Dragon Quest Builders! He's from Dragon Quest, builds stuff like Steve, and looks like Link. Everyone thought that the reports for the new characters represented Erdrick and Steve when in reality, those rumors only referred to this one character! In the English demo for his game, the Builder's default name was "Bildrick" which is a combination of "Build" and, you guessed it: "Erdrick"! He's also Erdrick's biological descendant. And he's technically a Hero, which is also translated as Yuusha or "Brave."

Thank you all for your time, good night!

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It's not a matter of "having issues" or not, I simply expect better from an official news source.
Source Gaming is not official in any sense of the word.
I think in the way that he said it that there's most definitely an implication there that people who are fans of the character/voted for him did so out of some bandwagon popularity or because of some superficial reason like his design (which he brought up) without actually knowing or liking the character. And gain context is important because he really didn't say that for any of the newer names being thrown around due to speculation. It honestly reeks of negative bias whether doing so was unconscious on his part or not. To me it was the fact that the statement about bandwagoning was paired with the obviously incorrect statement about SMRPG not being very available. Those together give off a sentiment that "People voting for Geno didn't play the game because how could they? So they're obviously just voting for him because it's popular to do". Tbh I wonder if it has to do with the fact that he's European. SMRPG hadn't been available there until the VC ports so maybe he dismissed the fact that there are a ton of people from elsewhere in the world that did play the SNES version in the years after its original release.
I didn't get that from what he said, but now I understand your point. Thanks for that.

D

Deleted member

In SMRPG, what did y'all think the first time you encountered the 3 Musty Fears and they told you where to find the flags?

I needed a walkthrough to find the flags.

link2702

Smash Champion
In SMRPG, what did y'all think the first time you encountered the 3 Musty Fears and they told you where to find the flags?

I needed a walkthrough to find the flags.
the one that was between o and a stumped me for the longest time. It took me and a friend literal months to figure it out.

the wooden flower was obvious, the green bed we just literally went to every single area in the game that had beds, found it after about 15 minutes. but the o and a? yeah we were lost. We started thinking we had to talk to some NPC who's dialog had it hidden or something, where if we talked to just the right one suddenly the flag would just appear.

I can at least say we found them without the need for any sort of guides....though tbh since we played back when it was first released and neither of us had computers(not that it'd be on the internet anyway) and many game magazines didn't cover everything, we kinda didn't have any choice.

Though IMO it was more fun back then because of that, Same is true for the crazy rumors during those days, specifically the n64 days. I kinda miss when all the insane fake rumors like "L is real, get to the top of tick tock clock when it's frozen to unlock a secret room" or "how to beat the running man/unlock a special dungeon/get the triforce" existed. and since the internet was in it's early days then still too, no one really truly fact checked much on game rumors(of course people now don't actually fact check on anything actually important...) so we all believed these ridiculous game rumors and tried them all.

Now no one even attempts to make any crazy rumors for any games anymore, because most developers will debunk any wild rumors up front, and gamers themselves hack and mod so much now that they either find everything in the game by hacking it....or just mod any of the crazy stuff they want in.

EDIT: On a side note, I feel it's finally time I changed my pit avatar that I've had since the brawl days. Does anyone have any suggestions for a Geno related one?

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
the one that was between o and a stumped me for the longest time. It took me and a friend literal months to figure it out.

the wooden flower was obvious, the green bed we just literally went to every single area in the game that had beds, found it after about 15 minutes. but the o and a? yeah we were lost. We started thinking we had to talk to some NPC who's dialog had it hidden or something, where if we talked to just the right one suddenly the flag would just appear.

I can at least say we found them without the need for any sort of guides....though tbh since we played back when it was first released and neither of us had computers(not that it'd be on the internet anyway) and many game magazines didn't cover everything, we kinda didn't have any choice.

Though IMO it was more fun back then because of that, Same is true for the crazy rumors during those days, specifically the n64 days. I kinda miss when all the insane fake rumors like "L is real, get to the top of tick tock clock when it's frozen to unlock a secret room" or "how to beat the running man/unlock a special dungeon/get the triforce" existed. and since the internet was in it's early days then still too, no one really truly fact checked much on game rumors(of course people now don't actually fact check on anything actually important...) so we all believed these ridiculous game rumors and tried them all.

Now no one even attempts to make any crazy rumors for any games anymore, because most developers will debunk any wild rumors up front, and gamers themselves hack and mod so much now that they either find everything in the game by hacking it....or just mod any of the crazy stuff they want in.

EDIT: On a side note, I feel it's finally time I changed my pit avatar that I've had since the brawl days. Does anyone have any suggestions for a Geno related one?
Borrow mine!

Bayleef_Geno.png

D

Deleted member

When you guys battle Culex in SMRPG, do you make sure to fight him at a high level or do you fight him without level grinding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom