• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Is Operation Starfall still active? Are people currently working on anything for it?
Yeah, mainly on Discord. That's the reason it's activity on Smashboards hasn't been very active, since it moved to Discord.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Is the Discord in the subthread?
It is, yep! We have both the Star Road Discord for fun stuff and the much smaller Operation Starfall server for actual planning and progress on the site. The website is almost complete, but still needs a little work. It's almost there, and then we'll be getting some big names already on board like D1 promoting from there. That's when stuff is really gonna explode (hopefully).

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Finally finished this finals season so I'll be able to enjoy a little more speculation (Though I'll still be sort of in and out since I'll be taking a breather before graduation).

As for all of the Geno stuff. I think he's basically been in the same position since Ultimate launched. All the Nintendo stuff about Super Mario RPG doesn't really inspire any more hope in me just because Nintendo does weird things like that all the time and stuff like Megasmilax I'm still not convinced on as needing to be licensed to reference (He is just an off-shoot of a Piranha Plant, so I'm real curious how those rights ended up from Super Mario RPG. Not that we'll ever know). I think I've spoken my opinion on the SNES Classic too much lol. I've seen surer bets not make it into Smash already, so I need to see something more substantial that convinces me Nintendo and Sakurai are actively choosing to make him a priority (the biggest thing that makes me hopeful on Banjo Kazooie is some real concrete stuff like Cuphead coming to Switch and their willingness to put the Master Chief Collection on Steam).

He's got a chance if Sakurai chooses to give him one. I'm not super convinced he'll show up in the Fighter's Pass (a Spirit Board with him could certainly work, but the fact I've played Super Mario RPG a couple times and still don't always know who some of you all suggest speaks a little bit to how far you're digging to make that happen). I think he's got a really great shot if we get more DLC for Ultimate beyond the Fighter's Pass, though we're a LONG way from that, so no use getting any hopes up when we won't even know if that'll happen for another good 6-7 months.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Finally finished this finals season so I'll be able to enjoy a little more speculation (Though I'll still be sort of in and out since I'll be taking a breather before graduation).

As for all of the Geno stuff. I think he's basically been in the same position since Ultimate launched. All the Nintendo stuff about Super Mario RPG doesn't really inspire any more hope in me just because Nintendo does weird things like that all the time and stuff like Megasmilax I'm still not convinced on as needing to be licensed to reference (He is just an off-shoot of a Piranha Plant, so I'm real curious how those rights ended up from Super Mario RPG. Not that we'll ever know). I think I've spoken my opinion on the SNES Classic too much lol. I've seen surer bets not make it into Smash already, so I need to see something more substantial that convinces me Nintendo and Sakurai are actively choosing to make him a priority (the biggest thing that makes me hopeful on Banjo Kazooie is some real concrete stuff like Cuphead coming to Switch and their willingness to put the Master Chief Collection on Steam).

He's got a chance if Sakurai chooses to give him one. I'm not super convinced he'll show up in the Fighter's Pass (a Spirit Board with him could certainly work, but the fact I've played Super Mario RPG a couple times and still don't always know who some of you all suggest speaks a little bit to how far you're digging to make that happen). I think he's got a really great shot if we get more DLC for Ultimate beyond the Fighter's Pass, though we're a LONG way from that, so no use getting any hopes up when we won't even know if that'll happen for another good 6-7 months.
You've pretty much got my opinion down to a T, my man. That's how I feel entirely, including on the stuff with Banjo. That being said, while the stuff like SMRPG references and stuff does give me a smidge more hope for Geno making an appearance in the M&L games or a Square collab again, if not at least being remembered. The fact that NoA remembers and loves him and Mallow is already enough to make me happy. It's a huge step forward.

That said, Geno's chances for stuff outside of Smash really depends on showing Square and Nintendo that he's marketable and that using him in higher-selling titles or as DLC otherwise would be lucrative. That's... quite the tough nut to crack. We can see Square is at least willing to some extent, though, given Geno and Mallow are technically in the base game of Ultimate through their spirits. AlphaDream even wants to use them, so... who knows?

(It's so frustrating, though, like guys, they have the rights to him to some extent for Smash, like he's right there, he's right theeeeeereeeeeee!!)

D

Deleted member

The characters we're talking about for a potential spirit board for Geno are characters in the game that the story revolves around. Just because you don't remember them doesn't mean we're reaching.

Last edited by a moderator:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
The characters we're talking about for a potential spirit board for Geno are characters in the game that the story revolves around. Just because you don't remember them doesn't mean we're reaching.
I mean, that's kind of my point though. I'd say quite a few people here compose some of the biggest Super Mario RPG fans out there, so naturally people here are going to be able to recall more and also take more away from the game because of their love. That's consistent with any fan base of anything. I'm not saying anything like Spirits need to be super recognizable by nature. They obviously don't given their abundance in the base game. But such a specific board kind of feels off to me since Geno doesn't himself bring a new franchise to the game really.

And I'll admit that I'm not operating off of fact here all that much, but the DLC Spirit Boards feel like the kind of thing that actually hurt more character to me than help them. The one that came from Joker seemed very intentionally themed around a new franchise and all new Spirits, so I just haven't been able to get the idea that they won't overlap out of my mind. Obviously, it's too soon to tell if each board will emulate Joker's... But it's been a weird hunch ever since I saw they decided to dedicate a whole extra menu tab to Spirits as opposed to just throwing them in standard rotation and letting that be that.

Not that I specifically care if we get more Spirits. Geno sure as hell doesn't need to come with any for people to be satisfied. Call me pessimistic if you wish, but I lean further and further toward just all of the DLC coming from non-represented series the more I mull things over. At least for this Fighter's Pass.

Also, as an anecdote, which may be sacrilegious here, I actually didn't take much non Nintendo related away from Super Mario RPG when I first played the game. I ditched Mallow and Geno for Bowser and Peach once I could and almost exclusively relied upon them for the rest of the game because that's just what I was interested in as a Mario fan (Exor fight excluded because Geno one shot is cool). I've always sort of wondered how many people might have had a similar experience to me in that regard and then never came back to it or taken the time to appreciate any other characters. The Smash community largely gave me the idea to go back and take another look, but I do wonder if we sometimes suffer from less support because people can potentially take much less away from the game than others.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
So I was browsing the SNES mini page on nintendo's website and I had no idea it included the original manuals of each game. Of course, my heart was warmed up by seeing Mario RPG's manual, wow.... my childhood memories!

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/clvs/manuals/common/pdf/CLV-P-SABQE.pdf
The manual's colors just give off a great '90s feeling. I love Geno's description in the manual; the way they describe Geno would excite me for wanting to play as him in the game, as if I was getting ready to play SMRPG for the first time.

"A new hero who totes a mean gun and wears a stylin' cape! This is one doll you don't wanna mess with!"
*Sees remarks that Geno would make a good Mii Gunner Echo*

*Flashes back to the Brawl Speculation Days where opponents of Mega Man argued that he was not nearly as unique as supporters claimed and would only be a clone of Samus at best, and the primary reason for that was Samus being the only other character with an ARM CANNON*

We must NEVER return to those dark days, my friends, where we narrow-mindedly determine that a character's uniqueness is limited based only on a single weapon they happen to share with another character while ignoring the rest of the kit they possess in their home games. People literally claimed that Mega Man would be a clone of Samus merely because they both had ARM CANNONS. At that rate, all fist-fighters are clones and all sword fighters are clones because they used the same weapons.

Geno has finger bullets, which would operate like Bayonetta's and Joker's guns, an arm cannon which shoots small cannon balls (or large bullets) from his elbow, an arm laser beam (which most people refer to as the arm cannon but it's different, however it is the model used for the Mii costume), a FREAKING ROCKET PUNCH WHICH TOO MANY PEOPLE FORGET ABOUT (it's like the signature ability of the Geno doll. It's the one Gaz used to knock Mario out cold as part of the doll's introduction), the ability to rain cosmic lasers from the heavens, the ability to increase his offensive and defensive powers, the ability to toss a light disc that can deal critically high damage, the ability to shapeshift into a giant cannon and fire a ball of pure devastation at his targets, and the ability to shoot stars as his opponents (not Star Bits, STARS).
Well said. The biggest question to me about Geno is what would be his final smash? Geno Whirl, Geno Blast, or Geno Flash? All three seem pitch-perfect for his final smash.
Okay, come on, Black Mage's design in Sports Mix has GOT to be inspired by Geno. Look at the cape. That is Geno as heck right there.
Okay, how did I not notice that? Besides the clothes, the Black Mage's cape really does resemble Geno's cape! Good catch, Ovaltine.
NOW, about the Black Mage himself, I wonder who's really behind those clothes and hat...

D

Deleted member

I mean, that's kind of my point though. I'd say quite a few people here compose some of the biggest Super Mario RPG fans out there, so naturally people here are going to be able to recall more and also take more away from the game because of their love. That's consistent with any fan base of anything. I'm not saying anything like Spirits need to be super recognizable by nature. They obviously don't given their abundance in the base game. But such a specific board kind of feels off to me since Geno doesn't himself bring a new franchise to the game really.

And I'll admit that I'm not operating off of fact here all that much, but the DLC Spirit Boards feel like the kind of thing that actually hurt more character to me than help them. The one that came from Joker seemed very intentionally themed around a new franchise and all new Spirits, so I just haven't been able to get the idea that they won't overlap out of my mind. Obviously, it's too soon to tell if each board will emulate Joker's... But it's been a weird hunch ever since I saw they decided to dedicate a whole extra menu tab to Spirits as opposed to just throwing them in standard rotation and letting that be that.

Not that I specifically care if we get more Spirits. Geno sure as hell doesn't need to come with any for people to be satisfied. Call me pessimistic if you wish, but I lean further and further toward just all of the DLC coming from non-represented series the more I mull things over. At least for this Fighter's Pass.

Also, as an anecdote, which may be sacrilegious here, I actually didn't take much non Nintendo related away from Super Mario RPG when I first played the game. I ditched Mallow and Geno for Bowser and Peach once I could and almost exclusively relied upon them for the rest of the game because that's just what I was interested in as a Mario fan (Exor fight excluded because Geno one shot is cool). I've always sort of wondered how many people might have had a similar experience to me in that regard and then never came back to it or taken the time to appreciate any other characters. The Smash community largely gave me the idea to go back and take another look, but I do wonder if we sometimes suffer from less support because people can potentially take much less away from the game than others.
Eh, since the thing about the fighter pass characters coming from new franchises isn't a thing that has been said by Nintendo or Sakurai, I think a character that can bring in more potential characters as spirits has a shot of getting in.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Am I one of the only few people who thinks there might be No microsoft rep whatsoever?

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

Lol I feel like you’re projecting your own lack of memory or interest in the unique things that SMRPG has going on and projecting it onto everyone else that’s played the game. Pretty sure a big reason why people want SMRPG to make a comeback are all the unique characters that come with it that haven’t popped up anywhere else. The bosses alone could fill up a spirit board much less characters like Boshi and Booster. I just disagree heavily with the implication that a disinterest in unique SMRPG characters is why people are against Geno. That’s just a really weird conclusion to make out of nowhere.

I also straight up don’t get the point of reaching this hard to play devils advocate on the Geno hype thread of all places.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Am I one of the only few people who thinks there might be No microsoft rep whatsoever?
I would be highly surprised given all the chatter around Xbox Live on the switch along with all the Banjo/Steve rumors. I don’t think that stuff comes out of complete nowhere.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I would be highly surprised given all the chatter around Xbox Live on the switch along with all the Banjo/Steve rumors. I don’t think that stuff comes out of complete nowhere.
I think that's definitely a point in their favor, but I've never heard sakurai talk about microsoft (edit: tho he has played minecraft), and even if their relationship is growing, i just have a small feeling that sakurai or even nintendo might not be interested in microsoft characters for smash.
I still think it can happen, of course, but im not sold on it.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I think that's definitely a point in their favor, but I've never heard sakurai talk about microsoft (edit: tho he has played minecraft), and even if their relationship is growing, i just have a small feeling that sakurai or even nintendo might not be interested in microsoft characters for smash.
I still think it can happen, of course, but im not sold on it.
If Sakurai and Nintendo were to choose a Microsoft rep, I honestly don't see them picking Master Chief at all, unfortunately. I know he's disconfirmed, but he's never been on a Nintendo console before, almost possibly made it on "Halo DS", but Master Chief being a skin on Minecraft doesn't count because that's Minecraft. I could see Nintendo and Sakurai going for a Microsoft rep, but I wonder how he feels about Banjo now. Hopefully a Banjo-Kazooie game comes to the Switch sometime this year, because I definitely see Sakurai and Nintendo agreeing with Banjo being their Microsoft rep if this is the case. I really hope we get Banjo-Kazooie on the Switch, and hopefully Banjo-Threeie also becomes a reality... Where're the Infinity Stones when you need them?

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
When they deal with 3rd party companies, they dont need to mention the other characters getting into smash. Whether it's base or dlc, any 3rd party character involves more companies and so has more chance to be leaked. He heard of Simon a pretty good while in advance, and it's not even true that erdrick was leaked that far back.
And besides that, I mentioned this probably like 4-5 times already, but missing one out of one dlc character doesn't all of a sudden change anything, just like missing k.rool didn't do it to his claims of isabelle, ken and incineroar afterwards - didnt mean nothing. (at least in hindsight)

You can hope that he's wrong about it, there's nothing wrong with that. But it's still a possibility that exists.
In the end it's all speculation until we know for sure and we're going to find some things out in not too long anyway.
My main problem with Vergeben is this ;

He didn't said anything for DLC.
He's still stuck with SE rep and Minecraft content , stuff he has leaked when we were before Ultimate launched , and before DLC happened.
So this mean that this could be 3 things:
-Fake info
-Scrapped content , or considered content that didn't get fully realized.
-Got ported over to DLC.

Or this mean that DLCs choices started as far as August of last year , Wich is now 10 months away.
And that BOTH Microsoft and SE spilled the beans , or someone related to their companies did.

And the 3rd party characters he leaked were Simon (From Konami) and Ken (From Capcom USA).
If he leak another character from these companies , I might give his words some credit.
However , he still didn't got anything right on SE , nor Microsoft.

2 completely different companies. Furthermore , SE is the company that Geno Flash every damn leaker in existence , so it's extremely risky to leak legitimate stuff from Square.
Furthermore , I doubt that Smash leaks were what "Ruffled Square Enix feathers".
Why ? Because they need to assume that one guy learned about the DLC and posted it online on ResetEra.

When ton of others peoples "leaked" others SE rep , and one of them has to get the SE rep right , even if it's just pure luck.
There's also the barrier language between Japanese and English...
It could also have been an internal leak.

It's just not the most likely outcome when you look at the full picture.
Could this be what happened ? Yes.
Could this be a leak linked to one of their recent game release ? Yes.

My problem is that most leaked infos from Square depend on trusting the leakers.
heck , the only legitimate SE leak I remember was Jon from GameXplain leaking that FF 7 , 9 , 10 , 10 X2(I think that's the name of the FF10 sequel?) would get ported to Switch , except FF8. And that's what happened.

Then with Tansut , he got a complete change of mindset.
He made a very subtle leak for Cloud one day before his reveal , not to ruin the surprise , yet he do it months in advance for Erdrick.

That's what raise a big red flag to me. And why I can't trust him.

Furthermore , the way he concluded that the SE rep would be Erdrick is a bit shaky.

And to finish , DLC is different from base game.
The sources he have got for leaks may have been an Nintendo employee who worked for like , the English translation for Smash.
We don't know what his sources precisely are. And we don't know how much power his sources have.
Are they higher up employees from Nintendo ? Do they work for Microsoft ? Are they from Japan , or the US? Or is it a string of info , like a Japanese leaker saying something to an American Nintendo employee , Wich then said the same thing in private to Vergeben ? Or heck , was SOME of his leaked "info" , his own predictions in disguise ?

I won't trust his sources on DLC , as long as they didn't prove they have actual knowledge of what the DLC are.
Wich they didn't.

While it is good to keep everything in mind , I am not in the mindset "I don't want this to happen" , but more "I am not convinced by their credibility , thus I can't believe them as of now , no matter what they say".
Even if they say "Klonoa is in" while I would be ecstatic to see him get in Smash... I would raise an eyebrow , because they didn't got anything right yet , and don't give me actual proof to believe them. It's just "Trust me and my track record on that one !". Because in the end , those are just predictions disguised as the truth.
However , if they start getting something right for DLC (Erdrick or Minecraft content , Wich could be anything Minecraft related) , or show actual proof (like the Ken leak picture) , I will give them a chance and give their words some credit.

As of now , I don't see why I should trust them when leakers are in such a sketchy and shaky situation.

Calane

Smash Ace
He made a very subtle leak for Cloud one day before his reveal , not to ruin the surprise , yet he do it months in advance for Erdrick.

Furthermore , the way he concluded that the SE rep would be Erdrick is a bit shaky.
I have nothing to do with this conversation, so I apologize for jumping in out of nowhere. I just wanted to comment on this in particular because I've seen people say this before and I just don't agree. I think Tansut has good reason to believe the SE character is Erdrick, I mean.

You see, Tansut's source told him that the supposed upcoming SE character is from DQ, right? With that, people are quick to assume that it could be anybody, but what people forget is that he was also told that this DQ character would have male and female versions like Robin & Corrin. That narrows things down quite a bit, actually. Not many DQ heroes have female versions, so that leaves us with the following options:

Erdrick (Dragon Quest III Hero)

Solo & Sofia (Dragon Quest IV Heroes)

Nine (Dragon Quest IX Hero)

and I think the Hero of Dragon Quest X has a female version? I don't know much about that one, but I'll throw it in there just in case.

Okay, so now that we narrowed down our options, we can quickly cross out Nine and the DQX Hero because I highly doubt they'd be chosen over the heroes of DQIII and IV. That just leaves us with Erdrick and Solo/Sofia. Between those options, it's pretty easy to see that Erdrick would win out since he's the favorite and most iconic Hero in the franchise. Heck, in 2010, he was even voted the favorite DQ Character in general. There's other reasons such as DQIII's legacy and the fact that it's Sakurai's favorite DQ game, but I think the answer's pretty clear even without going into all of that.

Basically, if Tansut's telling the truth about what he heard, then there's really nobody else it could be. There's no female version of the Luminary, so it couldn't be him either. Given what Tansut has supposedly heard, it's pretty reasonable to come to the conclusion that the supposed DQ character is Erdrick.

Anyway, uh... What's up, Geno thread? I wish you all the best, and I'll be taking my leave.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I'd honestly be a lot more open to the idea of Sephiroth if his sword wasn't literally half the size of FD in-canon. I know they can tone it down, obviously, but at that point, he'd honestly feel more fitting as a boss character.
Reminder that in the original FF7, it's not that long.
Well, it's just as possible as there being no Square DLC reps, so you're not alone.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Sephiroth would be so fun. If we were to get another FF7 character, I hope it's him. Think of all the great soundtracks he'd bring with him:
Those Chosen by the Planet (Remix), Jenova, Jenova Absolute, Birth of a God, One-Winged Angel (Original), One-Winged Angel (Advent Children), and maybe the One-Winged Angel soundtrack from the FF7 remake. Now, I wonder what his stage would be...
His stage would be the crumbling Shinra building from advent children. OOOOOh man, imagine playing Cloud vs Sephiroth there, 1 v 1 with One-Winged angel playing in the background??! I'm geeking out just thinking about it....

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Anyway, uh... What's up, Geno thread? I wish you all the best, and I'll be taking my leave.
'Ey, I've seen you around the SE and Erdrick threads before. Nice to see you around, and thank you for clarifying some stuff! I wish you the best, too. If only we lived in a perfect world where we could get both of our boys. :shyguy:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I think something people didn’t really bring up after Joker was first released is that he came with a lot more music than people were expecting. I remember people had assumed we’d get 5 songs per character but in reality he came with 11 music tracks which is pretty crazy. With that being the case do you think if Geno were to get in he’d also get that many tracks? What tracks would you want?

Also if Geno were to get unique victory music that wasn’t the standard one for Mario characters I feel like a remix of the SMRPG victory theme would be great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZanZRU14o_Y

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I am really intrigued with the Google theory going around. I know some people are really quick to throw it under the bus without any benefit of the doubt. But it really intrigued me. Let's not forget the box theory said we would only get two more characters months before the Final Smash direct. And guess what happened. It doesn't have Geno in it but it's still a pretty solid lineup.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I am really intrigued with the Google theory going around. I know some people are really quick to throw it under the bus without any benefit of the doubt. But it really intrigued me. Let's not forget the box theory said we would only get two more characters months before the Final Smash direct. And guess what happened. It doesn't have Geno in it but it's still a pretty solid lineup.
Given the way Google searches work, though, it means absolutely nothing. I've said it before in the SE thread and I'll say it again: without going into all the complexities behind it, it's just how Google's algorithm works while taking numerous factors into account.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Given the way Google searches work, though, it means absolutely nothing. I've said it before in the SE thread and I'll say it again: without going into all the complexities behind it, it's just how Google's algorithm works while taking numerous factors into account.
I would understand that if it weren't for the fact that it doesn't bring up the advertisement for some other popular characters. if Google works the way I think it does it should bring up the DLC ad if people search for Steve or Erdrick in smash since it would be a pretty common search to associate with it.

Like I said I'm just intrigued. I'm not fully aware on how Google ads work. But I feel like if they are Nintendo published ads Nintendo wanted people to see the ad for those characters. Guaranteed it wasn't meant to be set like that right now though if it was the case.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I would understand that if it weren't for the fact that it doesn't bring up the advertisement for some other popular characters. if Google works the way I think it does it should bring up the DLC ad if people search for Steve or Erdrick in smash since it would be a pretty common search to associate with it.
The searches work for some people and don't for some others. I've seen some people search for other keywords with Smash Ultimate, only to receive the ad.

It's a fat load.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I have nothing to do with this conversation, so I apologize for jumping in out of nowhere. I just wanted to comment on this in particular because I've seen people say this before and I just don't agree. I think Tansut has good reason to believe the SE character is Erdrick, I mean.

You see, Tansut's source told him that the supposed upcoming SE character is from DQ, right? With that, people are quick to assume that it could be anybody, but what people forget is that he was also told that this DQ character would have male and female versions like Robin & Corrin. That narrows things down quite a bit, actually. Not many DQ heroes have female versions, so that leaves us with the following options:

and I think the Hero of Dragon Quest X has a female version? I don't know much about that one, but I'll throw it in there just in case.

Okay, so now that we narrowed down our options, we can quickly cross out Nine and the DQX Hero because I highly doubt they'd be chosen over the heroes of DQIII and IV. That just leaves us with Erdrick and Solo/Sofia. Between those options, it's pretty easy to see that Erdrick would win out since he's the favorite and most iconic Hero in the franchise. Heck, in 2010, he was even voted the favorite DQ Character in general. There's other reasons such as DQIII's legacy and the fact that it's Sakurai's favorite DQ game, but I think the answer's pretty clear even without going into all of that.

Basically, if Tansut's telling the truth about what he heard, then there's really nobody else it could be. There's no female version of the Luminary, so it couldn't be him either. Given what Tansut has supposedly heard, it's pretty reasonable to come to the conclusion that the supposed DQ character is Erdrick.

Don't worry , you're just giving your point and view and an argument , you don't have to apologize ! And well , you're polite , so I don't see any problem.

I agree with you on that one , I wasn't aware that he heard about that specific info.
And yeah, when you go through the process of elimination , it's more than probably Erdrick.

But then , I wonder how his source learned this specific info...
I mean , it's not something like the complete moveset , but it's pretty interesting.

I'll keep this in mind in the future !

And thank you !

I'm personnaly hoping for a SMRPG port on Switch. Since SMRPG has been ported thrice (Wii , Wii U , SNES Classic) , I think SE would be open to the idea.
It's a game I dearly love , and I sadly can't play it often with my current situation. (2 days every 2 weeks is a bit tight lol)

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'm personnaly hoping for a SMRPG port on Switch , lately. Since SMRPG has been ported thrice (Wii , Wii U , SNES Classic) , I think SE would be open to the idea.
They've already gone on record to state that they want to bring their past titles, either ported or remade, to the Switch. I think we'll see SMRPG on the Switch in some form. It's pretty likely, all things considered. It'd probably just be a port through NSO or e-shop, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for something new, too.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
They've already gone on record to state that they want to bring their past titles, either ported or remade, to the Switch. I think we'll see SMRPG on the Switch in some form. It's pretty likely, all things considered. It'd probably just be a port through NSO or e-shop, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for something new, too.
I think it's going to be for the eshop , since NSO is still stuck to NES games. (Still waiting for Mysterious Murasame Castle and Earthbound Begginings lol)

And to be honest , I kind of don't like stuff like NSO. I like to buy the game I want to play and own it. (well , it's digital , but you get my point)
My problem about NSO is that I feel that each time a new game is added , it get lost in the sea of NES games available.
Also , I just want to see "Super Mario RPG" on my home menu lol.
And while I'm talking about the home menu , I seriously hope they'll consider adding folders. This home menu is a mess.

And yeah , I also hope something new is on the way.
I think the best and most likely outcome would be a port with a ton of options for graphics and sound , for now.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
My main problem with Vergeben is this ;

He didn't said anything for DLC.
He's still stuck with SE rep and Minecraft content , stuff he has leaked when we were before Ultimate launched , and before DLC happened.
So this mean that this could be 3 things:
-Fake info
-Scrapped content , or considered content that didn't get fully realized.
-Got ported over to DLC.

Or this mean that DLCs choices started as far as August of last year , Wich is now 10 months away.
And that BOTH Microsoft and SE spilled the beans , or someone related to their companies did.

And the 3rd party characters he leaked were Simon (From Konami) and Ken (From Capcom USA).
If he leak another character from these companies , I might give his words some credit.
However , he still didn't got anything right on SE , nor Microsoft.

2 completely different companies. Furthermore , SE is the company that Geno Flash every damn leaker in existence , so it's extremely risky to leak legitimate stuff from Square.
Furthermore , I doubt that Smash leaks were what "Ruffled Square Enix feathers".
Why ? Because they need to assume that one guy learned about the DLC and posted it online on ResetEra.

When ton of others peoples "leaked" others SE rep , and one of them has to get the SE rep right , even if it's just pure luck.
There's also the barrier language between Japanese and English...
It could also have been an internal leak.

It's just not the most likely outcome when you look at the full picture.
Could this be what happened ? Yes.
Could this be a leak linked to one of their recent game release ? Yes.

My problem is that most leaked infos from Square depend on trusting the leakers.
heck , the only legitimate SE leak I remember was Jon from GameXplain leaking that FF 7 , 9 , 10 , 10 X2(I think that's the name of the FF10 sequel?) would get ported to Switch , except FF8. And that's what happened.

And to finish , DLC is different from base game.
The sources he have got for leaks may have been an Nintendo employee who worked for like , the English translation for Smash.
We don't know what his sources precisely are. And we don't know how much power his sources have.
Are they higher up employees from Nintendo ? Do they work for Microsoft ? Are they from Japan , or the US? Or is it a string of info , like a Japanese leaker saying something to an American Nintendo employee , Wich then said the same thing in private to Vergeben ? Or heck , was SOME of his leaked "info" , his own predictions in disguise ?

I won't trust his sources on DLC , as long as they didn't prove they have actual knowledge of what the DLC are.
Wich they didn't.

While it is good to keep everything in mind , I am not in the mindset "I don't want this to happen" , but more "I am not convinced by their credibility , thus I can't believe them as of now , no matter what they say".
Even if they say "Klonoa is in" while I would be ecstatic to see him get in Smash... I would raise an eyebrow , because they didn't got anything right yet , and don't give me actual proof to believe them. It's just "Trust me and my track record on that one !". Because in the end , those are just predictions disguised as the truth.
However , if they start getting something right for DLC (Erdrick or Minecraft content , Wich could be anything Minecraft related) , or show actual proof (like the Ken leak picture) , I will give them a chance and give their words some credit.

As of now , I don't see why I should trust them when leakers are in such a sketchy and shaky situation.
I'm not convinced either. I just look at the pros and cons and try to put credit where it is, and not put it where it isn't. I dont give it fully to verge because of how he's been handling the info. Some of it not coming from his main sources.
I think it's ok to be skeptical, and I think it's ok to give some value to info too. We can have our stances and be open.

I wrote more of my thoughts on verge's info but i decided not to post it because i feel like we're close enough to june that we might as well just wait and see what happens.

I think things line up well enough and at this point I think erdrick is not just possible but also likely. That's just where I stand, and I'm open to that it could end up not happening. I'm not as invested in the smash characters like I was at some points, for all I care it could be bubsy and it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Of course I still would love for dragon quest to be in the game, it's one of my favorite rpg series. I think it has charm and is funny at times, and that reminds me a bit of how I like mario rpg too, it was just gushing with charm.

Whatever ends up happening, Nintendo does what they do, and I think sometimes people get too invested in the choice, because it's not really up to them to cater to us to the letter. They make something they think is fun, and then we get to play it. I do still hope they keep the ballot in mind a little too, but I also dont mind new or interesting picks like joker. I just think it'll be cool if it happens to land on something I like. (just like everyone, i guess) ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Kind of a weird thing to get excited about in the Geno thread.

I think something people didn’t really bring up after Joker was first released is that he came with a lot more music than people were expecting. I remember people had assumed we’d get 5 songs per character but in reality he came with 11 music tracks which is pretty crazy. With that being the case do you think if Geno were to get in he’d also get that many tracks? What tracks would you want?

Also if Geno were to get unique victory music that wasn’t the standard one for Mario characters I feel like a remix of the SMRPG victory theme would be great.
My picks would be:
1. Forest Maze
2. Star Hill theme
3. Battle Against Monsters
4. Battle Against a Somewhat Stronger Monster
5. And My Name's Booster
6. Battle Against an Armed Boss
7. Battle Against Smithy
8. Rose Town theme (since Geno is introduced here)
9. Nimbus Land theme
10. Sunken Ship theme
11. Barrel Volcano

Last edited by a moderator:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Kind of a weird thing to get excited about in the Geno thread.

My picks would be:
1. Forest Maze
2. Star Hill theme
3. Battle Against Monsters
4. Battle Against a Somewhat Stronger Monster
5. And My Name's Booster
6. Battle Against an Armed Boss
7. Battle Against Smithy
8. Rose Town theme (since Geno is introduced here)
9. Nimbus Land theme
10. Sunken Ship theme
11. Barrel Volcano
To be fair even if the FP doesn’t have Geno but also doesn’t have another SE character then that would mean SE leaks would have been totally bull**** and keep things open for him for season 2 . There’s the very real possibility that Nintendo might see characters as one and done things for each third party company and might move onto other third parties for the next DLC.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

We are doing good. Here's the problem with this whole things though.

Everything you just said is based off whether Tansut is telling the truth. Leakers have been wrong recently, been given false information, have chosen wrong information, and to top it off have just flat out lied for a small bit of internet fame. He has brought forward no evidence, unlike the Gamatsu leak or the debug Ken leak, thus you just have to take his word for it which shouldn't be enough to sway anyone. The one thing that Tansut has to his name is that he "leaked" Cloud in Smash 4 but it was so cryptic that no cared or noticed until Smash speculation started for the next game. He claims to have known about Cloud for months, yet offers no proof of this, and we know multiple YouTubers and other internet celebrities knew about Cloud weeks before the reveal. He supposedly has a Square Enix source, yet has been silent between Cloud and now Erdrick, meaning he's heard nothing for years about anything like KH3 or FF7R or anything new.

Then when he pops back up again, it's just a blatant "DQ gets a rep" and adds that there will be male and female alts. Saying DQ has a rep is almost like saying Erdrick is in at this point considering he is such a big deal in Japan (though whether it's because the character is loved or because the game is loved and Erdrick is the best way to reference the game) and he just came out with it instead of being cryptic. Then he later just comes out and says it's Erdrick flat out. What happened to being cryptic? He didn't want to spoiled Cloud, but Erdrick just doesn't matter I guess? Seems like his approach just did a 180 and that is plenty enough reason to deny him.

Then, his proof that Erdrick is in? "I was talking with my source, and I kept mentioning Erdrick, and he never said it wasn't Erdrick and he never corrected me, so it's proof it's Erdrick." So, not only do we have to trust his word, but we have to trust the word of someone who is making assumptions on information just because his source DIDN'T say it WASN'T Erdrick? If my mom makes a cake and I ask her if I can have a piece and she doesn't say I CAN'T have a piece, does that mean I can? If I go to your house and ask to play on your Switch and you don't say that I CAN'T, does that mean I can?

No, of course not. It's an assumption. Simply put, his source let out exact information and Tansut assumed he was correct because he wasn't told he was wrong.

This is why Tansut is not creditable enough to ride your entire belief of Erdrick's inclusion around.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
We are doing good. Here's the problem with this whole things though.

Everything you just said is based off whether Tansut is telling the truth. Leakers have been wrong recently, been given false information, have chosen wrong information, and to top it off have just flat out lied for a small bit of internet fame. He has brought forward no evidence, unlike the Gamatsu leak or the debug Ken leak, thus you just have to take his word for it which shouldn't be enough to sway anyone. The one thing that Tansut has to his name is that he "leaked" Cloud in Smash 4 but it was so cryptic that no cared or noticed until Smash speculation started for the next game. He claims to have known about Cloud for months, yet offers no proof of this, and we know multiple YouTubers and other internet celebrities knew about Cloud weeks before the reveal. He supposedly has a Square Enix source, yet has been silent between Cloud and now Erdrick, meaning he's heard nothing for years about anything like KH3 or FF7R or anything new.

Then when he pops back up again, it's just a blatant "DQ gets a rep" and adds that there will be male and female alts. Saying DQ has a rep is almost like saying Erdrick is in at this point considering he is such a big deal in Japan (though whether it's because the character is loved or because the game is loved and Erdrick is the best way to reference the game) and he just came out with it instead of being cryptic. Then he later just comes out and says it's Erdrick flat out. What happened to being cryptic? He didn't want to spoiled Cloud, but Erdrick just doesn't matter I guess? Seems like his approach just did a 180 and that is plenty enough reason to deny him.

Then, his proof that Erdrick is in? "I was talking with my source, and I kept mentioning Erdrick, and he never said it wasn't Erdrick and he never corrected me, so it's proof it's Erdrick." So, not only do we have to trust his word, but we have to trust the word of someone who is making assumptions on information just because his source DIDN'T say it WASN'T Erdrick? If my mom makes a cake and I ask her if I can have a piece and she doesn't say I CAN'T have a piece, does that mean I can? If I go to your house and ask to play on your Switch and you don't say that I CAN'T, does that mean I can?

No, of course not. It's an assumption. Simply put, his source let out exact information and Tansut assumed he was correct because he wasn't told he was wrong.

This is why Tansut is not creditable enough to ride your entire belief of Erdrick's inclusion around.
You dont have to trust him, lol. You can just hear what he said and then see what happens.
I think he made it clear enough that he doesn't care very much about leaking. He heard it was Dragon Quest from his same good source but didnt say it outright, and then came out with it when it was talked about widely. He doesnt need to prove it, just like nobody needs to believe him.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Hey everyone what do you think Geno would want as his last meal if he was sentenced to death for crimes against the Mushroom Kingdom

I think he would like a chocolate cake and maybe a steak (medium rare)

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace

I don't know how many times this has been asked, but it's been asked a lot. Here:

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms (Remix)
Rose Town (Remix)
Still, the Road Is Full of Dangers!
Slope
Fight Against Koopa
Fight Against Monsters (Remix with a longer extension)
Fight Against a Somewhat Stronger Monster (OG and Remix)
Fight Against an Armed Boss (OG and Remix)
Happy Adventure, Delightful Adventure (Medley)
Fight Against Smithy / Fight Against Smithy, Who Likes Transforming (Merged Remix, like Bloody Tears and Monster Dance)

Reminder that in the original FF7, it's not that long.
Yeah, his sword is at least the same length as Cloud's Buster Sword, if not, just a little big longer.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Hey everyone what do you think Geno would want as his last meal if he was sentenced to death for crimes against the Mushroom Kingdom

I think he would like a chocolate cake and maybe a steak (medium rare)
i'm laughing holy **** that's so random and macabre

why this

also i guess some kind of nice star bit cake or something idk

what are his crimes. geno sweetie what did you do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom