• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
I just finished Super Mario RPG again tonight. Been meaning to since the Grinch leak (before it was debunked, even), but just haven't felt I was ready yet. This was my first play through in at least 5 or 10 years. The last time was probably sometime after the Wii virtual console release. Given how much I obsessed over the game as a teenager after it came out, I was pleasantly surprised at how much I still remembered. I got the majority of the hidden boxes, remembered the location of the Lazy Shell items, regularly defended most attacks, and even ran back to see Samus.

The main thing that stood out to me was how much polish the game has. So many little details that serve no purpose for the story or item/reward related and yet were still included, some with unique animations. The item trade chain in Moleville, Hinopio's rent-a-box beds, the three musty fears, the resolution for Valentina and Booster, the entire happy parade, the spot on lampooning of voltron/power rangers, and so very many more. All such great little details in a detailed filled game. The humor, no matter how lame it might seem now, still makes me smile.

But, everyone here already knows how great of a game Super Mario RPG is; how well it holds up even to this day. And that legacy is what we fight for.

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, the way you feel about geno in SSB Crusade is Kinda how I feel about the Belmonts in SSB Ultimate. I'm a huge Castlevania fan and all the Castlevania content was probably my favorite reveal for SSB Ultimate, yet I just really didn't care for their playstyle or moveset.
I love Castlevania, and at first I didn’t like their playstyle. But then I gave them a real try since I wanted to get good with them. And ever since then, I like using them. Granted, Snake is my “main”, however, using the Belmonts once in while is fun.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Hot take: the only people that treat indies like second-class citizens are Gamefaqs users, because they don't want "horny" people playing their Smash Bros.
soft agree tho

Shantae's however a really cool character and I feel she has genuine merits for inclusion. She certainly has the support behind her.

Robertroid

Smash Apprentice
If you guys could choose a final 14 characters to add to the roster, who would they be?
My 14's:
- Geno
- Marx (yeah I know u_ú)
- Isaac
- Banjo/Kazooie
- Reimu Hakurei
- Quote/Curly Brace
- Athena Asamiya
- Goemon
- Arle Nadja
- Rocket Knight
- Crono
- Tails
- Saki Amamiya
- Freudia Neuwahl ;_;

FelFlick

Smash Cadet
Hrmmm 14 characters eh? I'll try with no assist trophies.

1. Banjo and Kazooie
2. Geno
3. Ryu Hayabusa
4. Erdrick
5. Doom Marine Guy...dude...
6. Joanna Dark
7. KOS-MOS
8. Slash (Snowboard Kids)
9. Viewtiful Joe
10. Master Chief (That would shatter the world)
11. Lloyd Irving
12. Kazuma Kiriyu
13. Terry Bogard
14. Monokuma (The idea of him with his Upupupup laugh as a taunt made me laugh)

Tried to reach out to franchises not in or not in as much.
Slash from Snowboard Kids would be the addition that blow my mind. I just love that game. Does anyone know if Slash has a support thread? Now that Atlus is on board, everything is possible XD

My list of 14:

1. Banjo-Kazooie
2. Chosen Undead
3. Professor Layton
4. Metabee
5. Viewtiful Joe
6. Agumon
7. Rayman
8. Doom Marine
9. Slash (Snowboard Kids)
10. Lloyd Irving
11. Leon Kennedy
12. Erdrick
13. Marco (Metal Slug)
14. Ryu Hayabusa

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I don’t see how y’all can’t get 14 haha. Even if I didn’t want 14, there’s a good size of the community that I’d want to be happy beyond my choices:

1. Geno
2. Banjo Kazooie
3. Isaac
4. Chibi-Robo
5. Chorus Kids
6. Excitebiker
7. Slime
8. Ryu Hayabusa
9. Marx
10. Dixie Kong
11. Waluigi to shut far too many IRL friends up
12. Tetromino
13. Bomberman
14. Master Chief cause I love Halo too damn much

Don’t remember if rules said no assists or anything, but there’s 14 easy I’d love to be in the game. And I could get another thirty pretty easily haha.
I mean I could easily get to 14 if I just wanted to list off popular characters that other people have said that they wanted. I just thought it was supposed to be a list of characters we actually personally wanted and after Geno and Banjo I’m happy with whoever gets in.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
If we are actually getting 14 more characters I'll break them down between two Fighter Packs and an Echo Pack.

- Geno or Erdrick
- Banjo-Kazooie
- Doomslayer
- Chosen Undead

- Dixie Kong (Echo)
- Ninten (Echo)
- Impa (Echo)
- Octoling (Echo)
- Metal Sonic/Shadow (Echo)

- Geno or Erdrick
- Rex & Pyra
- Monster Hunter
- Astral Chain Heroes
- Ryu Hayabusa

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hi guys, I've been busy working. What'd I miss?
Nothing pretty much:

I have hard times making lists of characters I want. I didn't grow up with a lot. And the characters I do have connections to are already in smash or "no way in hell" tiers of characters.
Even if most of the characters you want are pipe dream picks, you should put them on your list because no list would be fun if it was just characters everybody is expecting. It should be your personal picks to make it interesting.

Last edited:

Funktastic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DaftBunk
Switch FC
SW 4808 1853 3785
1. Geno
2. Banjo-Kazooie
3. Skull Kid
4. Isaac
5. Shadow
6. Rayman
7. Rex (w/ Pyra?)
8. Hector
9. Sami
10. Dixie Kong
11. Waaaahluigi
12. Geno
13. Geno
14. Geno

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, this thread often talks about Geno related dreams they get, but I have never gotten any. Yet somehow last night I got a bizarre dream about a game I have not even played yet and have just watched footage of. My subconscious has weird priorities.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
You know, this thread often talks about Geno related dreams they get, but I have never gotten any. Yet somehow last night I got a bizarre dream about a game I have not even played yet and have just watched footage of. My subconscious has weird priorities.
I'm curious, what did this game look like?

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
If there were 14 more characters, and I got to choose...

1. Phoenix Wright
2. Geno
3. Ray MK
4. Yuri Lowell
5. Black Shadow
6. Aran Ryan
7. M. Bison
8. Ninten
9. Paper Mario
10. Banjo-Kazooie
11. 9-Volt
12. Isaac
13. Chorus Kids
14. Sukapon
Something like this, anyway.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If there were 14 more characters and I got to choose...

1. Phoenix Wright
2. Geno
3. Ray MK
4. Yuri Lowell
5. Black Shadow
6. Aran Ryan
7. M. Bison
8. Ninten
9. Paper Mario
10. Banjo-Kazooie
11. 9-Volt
12. Isaac
13. Chorus Kids
14. Sukapon
Hell yes to this list

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
And then you Cried because you couldn't get the game :laugh:
No, it's actually quite bizarre. For some reason my dream started with what seems like my school going to a store despite me not having school right now. I went to search for the game with the help of someone I know personally but is not ironically associated at all with my school(I wont disclose who that is because of personal life). Then that person gets shot when we split up to search and next thing I know I am dropped off at what seems to be the entrance of hell itself(Which is in the middle of the desert btw. Keep in mind I can currently look out of my window and see a foot of snow) seemingly on a mission to save that person and get my copy of DMC5. I only woke up when something started singing to me while in the darkness of that cave and my first instinct was to nope myself out of that dream.

So that is a thing that happened.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Even if most of the characters you want are pipe dream picks, you should put them on your list because no list would be fun if it was just characters everybody is expecting. It should be your personal picks to make it interesting.
I basically did put all my characters on my picture a couple pages back.

D

Deleted member

No, it's actually quite bizarre. For some reason my dream started with what seems like my school going to a store despite me not having school right now. I went to search for the game with the help of someone I know personally but is not ironically associated at all with my school(I wont disclose who that is because of personal life). Then that person gets shot when we split up to search and next thing I know I am dropped off at what seems to be the entrance of hell itself(Which is in the middle of the desert btw. Keep in mind I can currently look out of my window and see a foot of snow) seemingly on a mission to save that person and get my copy of DMC5. I only woke up when something started singing to me while in the darkness of that cave and my first instinct was to nope myself out of that dream.

Well damn

what a dream. And when you get your copy of DMC5 Geno is in it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Nothing pretty much:

Hard agree. There's a reason I'm the only one in this entire thread who even suggests Master Higgins.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

When you 'Nope' so hard you wake the **** up. Still trying to do that in real life, no effect yet. Will post more when I figure it out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

So I had a thought process here since I had that debacle with Geno in Crusade: what playstyles do you prefer when it comes to fighting games? Zoning, mid-range, CQC? I know there are more than those, but most playstyles fall under one of these variations of distance and then evolves from there.

So I like a variety, and by that I mean I find different playstyles satisfying but I only excel at one really. I enjoy zoning and keeping my opponent at bay but I also love getting in close and hitting them hard, but then again I love being able to do combos as well. Hopefully this clears up what I mean: my mains are King Dedede and Mr. Game and Watch, with Incineroar being added and King K. Rool being a blast to play but is still more of a character that I goof around with like Luigi. So I'll play anyone when I'm goofin' off, but when it's serious time it's usually King Dedede or Mr. Game and Watch.

King Triple De is a big boi heavy hitter but not quite a grappler though he does make use of throws adn he also has a bit of a zoning game with the Gordo as well as unique gameplay with his SUCC as he can counter other projectile users as well as interact with his Gordo in crazy ways. Also, he has the only legal online taunt and is a perfect being, so clearly he is the toppest of tiers.

MG&W (or as I like to call him, Meta-Game & Wreck) originally appealed to me because of his quirkiness and that still applies now. He is more of a zoner in terms of general gameplay with the hot breakfast being served and his beautiful new forward air that I absolutely love. He's also got his own set of combos, though I don't have the game so I have no idea how his combo game has changed with the throw changes, and you never know when you might catch someone with a Mighty Number 9.

Incineroar is a true grappler, clearly just Zangief's pet cat who was properly trained with the bears out in the frozen tundras of Mutha Russia. While it's not where I shine best, there is just something so satisfying about playing heavy hitter that you can't really get any other way: sure, you may get combo'd to oblivion or get hit by things others wouldn't because you are a big boi, but does crazy damage with a single hit that has the visual and auditory impact that you hit them with a dumptruck is ****ing great! When you add in being all about that throw game, which makes you go in ever the harder and get more crunches and slams, god it's just a miracle when done right.

I'm not big on combo-game in Smash because, since Smash is a platform fighter, the combos don't work like other fighting games and feel less like a combo and more like a couple of random hits that somehow connected. When moves hit within a small time window, like Luigi's combos tend to be, then it feels right but most of Smash's combos of windows of time in-between that make me feel like I didn't combo even when I did and when I don't combo it I'm unsure of the timing difference. Hence I stick to characters who's combos feel more natural and ones who just work by getting a couple solid hits in.

That said, I shine best with someone who has heavy zoning tools but also has trusty but more limited options up close and can both combo from a distance and up-close, though doesn't have as much damage or means of extension when up close. I like playing keepaway, but I don't want it to be oppressive because the frame data is too good or the hitbox is too big, but rather because I positioned myself correctly and my opponent played the mind games wrong. My best example for this is Lex Luthor from the first Injustice game. He had traps and projectiles to make getting in on him semi-difficult but if you positioned yourself incorrectly or your trap was too close or too far an opponent could avoid the mess and gun right for you. Lex had a couple of combos he could execute from up close but nothing to write home about without spending meter much better spent on your keepaway game and the number of times I caught someone who thought they had jumped the hoops and caught me in animation only to have been charging his projectile and sending them back to mid-range again were many and it was satisfying each time.

This is my hope for Geno: his design is clearly that of a zoner/keepaway character, as most (if not all) of his moves are projectile-based in SMRPG but in his introduction he runs up and wallops Bowyer in the chin so he is no stranger to melee combat...he just prefers to win from a distance. Obviously Geno wouldn't have any traps to play with, but having his playstyle with multiple charge moves and a difference in range or impact based on Timed Hits would keep the opponent on their toes the entire match: Is he gonna charge Geno Beam for more damage or fire it early to catch me offguard and the hitstun at low percent plus his faster recovery would grant him a follow-up or a setup from and aerial attack? Will he Timed Hit this F-Smash or not: if he does it has more range and I can play around that but what if he doesn't and I roll right into the non-Timed Hit that has more damage and knockback?

Geno seems like the calculated type and I hope that his gameplay results in this, and with a couple of melee attacks in his aerials or tilts that are good but don't lead to much would perfectly balance him out.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Mine is in no particular order. Bear in mind it is littered with some crack picks.

1. Adol (Ys)
2. Geno (SMRPG)
3. Erdrick (DQIII)
4. 2B (Nier: Automata)
5. An Astral Chain rep
6. Isaac (Golden Sun)
7. Dante (Devil May Cry)
8. A FromSoftware rep
9. Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
10. Edelgard (Fire Emblem: Three Houses)
11. Don-chan (Taiko no Tatsujin)
12. Arle (Puyo Puyo)
13. Banjo-Kazooie
14. Kat (Gravity Rush)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, since we were talking about Indies earlier, what do you guys think of the possibility of Castle Crashers on Switch?
Would be neat, although their stuff hasn't been on a Ninty console since Alien Hominid. These days their games only get published on Microsoft platforms, so I'm honestly not sure how much legroom they got.

D

Deleted member

So I had a thought process here since I had that debacle with Geno in Crusade: what playstyles do you prefer when it comes to fighting games? Zoning, mid-range, CQC? I know there are more than those, but most playstyles fall under one of these variations of distance and then evolves from there.
Depends on 1v1 or free-for-alls.

1v1s, I'm pretty flexible. I could probably random a match and have a good laugh. Kind of makes it hard to pin down a main when I'm constantly switching styles. Meanwhile my brother gets better and better with Inkling, Ryu, and Incineroar, and god help me. K. Rool, Snake, Ike, Ganon, and Wolf fit like gloves, though, so maybe I should just practice with them.

Free for alls are when I start to feel selective because if I wanna win, I need a character that fits my strategy: Run away like a ***** and capitalize. I end up being the insidious villain at socials because when I win, it's not because of skill usually. It's because I'm slaying only when I'm away from the chaos and start actually smashing when the field is cleared. I once three stocked with Ness and Villager because Villager has a tree and sling shot that clears a crowd at a distance and Ness has PK Flash. Pretty proud of those two matches because they were on the first day I played UItimate.

Characters I also excel with on this strategy is Robin, who is only a threat when he starts hiding in a corner, which is my entire strategy. Snake has area control with mines, grenades, and missiles, and is a heavy hitter. I can keep people at bay with Ike and Ganondorf. K. Rool is always going to be throwing his crown and shooting cannons. Inkling has splat bombs and rollers. Stuff like that. I try and make do if I don't get any of these characters.

Stuff like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Would be neat, although their stuff hasn't been on a Ninty console since Alien Hominid. These days their games only get published on Microsoft platforms, so I'm honestly not sure how much legroom they got.
Since Nintendo and Microsoft are close friends now, I imagine it will not be that much of a problem.

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
If you guys could choose a final 14 characters to add to the roster, who would they be?
Shantae
Banjo & Kazooie
Medusa
Rayman
Dixie Kong
Bandana Waddle Dee
Octoling
Kamek
Geno
Spyro
Crash
Chun-Li
Monster Hunter
Heihachi

Probably a little 3rd party heavy, but those would be my 14.
So, uh, haven't been here for awhile. Anything new happen besides the datamined slots?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Shantae
Banjo & Kazooie
Medusa
Rayman
Dixie Kong
Bandana Waddle Dee
Octoling
Kamek
Geno
Spyro
Crash
Chun-Li
Monster Hunter
Heihachi

Probably a little 3rd party heavy, but those would be my 14.
So, uh, haven't been here for awhile. Anything new happen besides the datamined slots?
Nope! Well, we're getting somewhat closer to Joker's deadline, but that's it.

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
I know that feeling. Crusade is fan-made, Super Smash Bros. is officially made. Sakurai tends to treat third-parties with the most respect in his games. I don't think there's one character in Smash that's boring, and we can't forget that Geno isn't only in just one fan-made Smash game, he's also in Legacy XP. I haven't tried out Legacy XP, but I heard Geno is VERY fun to use in that game, and that's a fan-made Brawl mod. The difference is Crusade and Smash use different running engines; Crusade is a flash game.

When it comes to Sakurai, the characters he develops never fail to disappoint anyone because he gives everyone a unique moveset; look at Captain Falcon for example, he was able to have his own moveset just by using his limbs, which aren't even used in F-Zero. Leave everything up to Sakurai and his team because if Geno does get in, they will make him unique and enjoyable. I would just look forward to the fact that if Geno is coming, he's making an official comeback after 23 years... imagine his new design today.
I havent played it myself, but watching gameplay of Geno in LegacyXP, I'd be happy if he had a similar moveset to that

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
I have a dumb, stupid explanation to the mystery of the 16 dummy slots. Don't take it seriously. It involves the rumored Dragon Quest representative not just being DQIII's Erdrick, but rather all eleven Dragon Quest protagonists. Apologies if discussion about Dragon Quest in Smash is the equivalent of kicking a dead horse.

We have 16 dummy data slots and 5 challenger packs. The Plant uses one slot, so that leaves us with 15 dummy slots. Joker using one would have 14 left. Dragon Quest has eleven installments and thus eleven protagonists. Assuming that the Dragon Quest franchise is an upcoming challenger pack and a single Dragon Quest protagonist takes up one slot, then that would leave us with three slots, for the three remaining challenger packs.

Of course there are a lot of problems that would be raised with this explanation (no fighter has more than 8 alternative costumes, stuffing all 11 protagonists into 1 character slot may do the 11 of them a wasted potential, alternate variants (Olimar and Alph, M!Corrin and F!Corrin, M!Robin and F!Robin, Villagers) don't use several dummy slots (someone can correct me if I am wrong), etc).

There, I solved the mystery of the dummy slots. :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Joker is taking up two slots, since apparently one of his alts is a character with a ponytail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom