• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Isn't Super Smash Flash 2 considered the superior fan-made Smash entry?

I just take a more realistic approach, like loving Dragon Ball FighterZ and letting Bandai know I want a Naruto version of FighterZ in the future.
Only one problem, how do we know they won't go with a less competent developer instead of ArcSys or CyberConnect2 for such a hypothetical game?

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The No Assists rule made me drop a few (notably Waluigi, Tiki, Starfy, and Shovel Knight), but here's what I'd probably do, assuming I had full control.

1. Celica
2. Crash Bandicoot
3. Henry Fleming
4. Caeda
5. Decidueye
6. Chorus Kids
7. Muddy Mole
8. Captain Toad
9. Daruk
10. Lara Croft
11. Frogger
12. Dixie Kong
13. Merric
14. Magolor

Fifteen would've been Geno fwiw. Or maybe sixteen, depending on how hard I'd want to try and make Qwilfish work. :p
Hell yeah for Muddy Mole, it's rare to see another supporter.
Hot take: the only people that treat indies like second-class citizens are Gamefaqs users, because they don't want "horny" people playing their Smash Bros.
...What?

D

Deleted member

Can someone please explain to me why people want Geno in Smash? I don't see any particular reason why
I mean, what other reasons do you see people wanting other characters in?

We want him in because we like the damn character.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

There doesn't have to be a reason "why" you like a character. You like a character because you like a character.

Edit: You don't seem to be aware of how many Smash characters appeared in one game before they debuted. Ness and Lucas both appeared in one game, yet they're on the roster.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Seeing all your ideas for who you would choose for 14 DLC slots reminds me just how many cool game characters there are in Nintendo alone, let alone 3rd party. I'm already absolutely satisfied and amazed at this game's roster without knowing the additional confirmed 4 remaining, but it's fun to fantasise about Smash movesets and inclusions I think. Love the amount of Crash Bandicoot support too, sometimes I feel like he doesn't get talked about nearly enough.

Also on a side note, I unlocked Mallow's spirit earlier today, and it was such a surreal thing to see the lil guy on my TV in a game other than Mario RPG, be it a simple JPEG or not. The fact that Mallow and Geno are the only Square spirits not including Cloud, along with the couple of Mario RPG references in Piranha Plant make me highly suspicious that Geno will make it at some point.

link2702

Smash Champion
Honestly as long as geno gets in there’s only one other character I REALLY want in smash; banjo and kazooie.

After that so long as any other characters didn’t originate as a cartoon/anime or comic/manga character, and originated as a game character, then I’ll be fine with who else got in.

But ONLY after banjo and geno first.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
But why?

Just kidding, I just don't get why people think he is a good candidate for Smash. He has only been in one game and referenced in a few others, but that's it.
Not sure I get your joke, but I want Geno in Smash because with Square on board, it's a rare opportunity to bring a truly unique character from a classic and beloved RPG, back in action. Due to the complex legal issues with Square owning the rights to Geno, his character among many other cool quirky characters in the game have been unable to make appearances in other Mario games. So many unique characters with missed potential. Now that Square are working with Nintendo, it's never been a better time to revive him.

FYI, being European, I have absolutely no nostalgic bias to Geno as I knew nothing of him until my teenage years. I just think a possessed puppet with a gun for a hand would be cool as **** in Smash, as well as representing an RPG which helped popularise the genre outside of Japan.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Can someone please explain to me why people want Geno in Smash? I don't see any particular reason why
He's a cool character who, due to various rights issues, can only appear when Square-Enix is involved despite being a Mario character. Unless S-E sells the rights for the Mario RPG characters to Nintendo, it's not like he's going to appear in Mario Kart or Mario Party or whatever; Smash Bros. games seem to be the only chance that he has of making a significant appearance.

Plus he's got a good design, interesting powers, and Sakurai's wanted him in a Smash Bros. game since Brawl. The amount of games that he's appeared in is irrelevant. Sheik's only appeared in Ocarina of Time as far as mainline Zelda games go, yet she made it in. The Ice Climbers were from a one-off NES game, but they made it in because they could have a unique concept behind them.

Heck, they made a random Mario enemy (Piranha Plant) and a fitness trainer (Wii Fit Trainer) into interesting and unique playable characters, so it's not like the amount of material that a character has is a barrier to entry.

Last edited:

RandomAdam

Smash Cadet
Thanks, all I needed was some reasoning for why he deserves to be in Smash. Thanks

God, times like these I feel like a jerk cause I didn't know something

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
It's all good man. I found the huge Geno support for Brawl surprising initially. That was of course until I played Mario RPG for myself and absolutely fell in love with the game and character design. If you haven't already played it and you like Paper Mario or JRPGs in general, I can't recommend it enough.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
At least you kept an open mind about it and were willing to listen to reasons that people had. That's a good attitude to have about this sort of thing.

D

Deleted member

Hot take: the only people that treat indies like second-class citizens are Gamefaqs users, because they don't want "horny" people playing their Smash Bros.
Seeing how we have Bayo and ZSS in Smash, i think GameFaqs users are too late to be worriying about that.

D

Deleted member

What got me into the idea initially was his design and moveset potential. Geno's a wooden toy robot that fires laser beams and can turn himself into a cannon. That would be great to see in Smash. I also tried out Super Mario RPG, and it was an alright time. If you like Earthbound, Super Mario RPG might tickle your interest. It's a product of its time, though, so go in with no high expectations and see what you enjoy.

He's not someone I super want now that I've had some time to think about other characters, but he's a nice pick and is still frequently requested despite being an obscure co-star in one Mario spinoff game. Why not, am I right?

E: I get where you're coming from. If you asked me if I wanted Geno in Smash before K. Rool was announced, I'd respond with, "Who? Why?" Now I'm like, "Sure. Let's get the doll in."

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Thanks, all I needed was some reasoning for why he deserves to be in Smash. Thanks

Probably because you made an account literally today and came into a character's thread and made a passive aggressive comment without reading the OP

RandomAdam

Smash Cadet
Probably because you made an account literally today and came into a character's thread and made a passive aggressive comment without reading the OP
Jesus all I wanted to know was why people want Geno in smash.
And sure, not reading op was my fault cause I'm a idiot that just jumps into threads without reading anything.

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Jesus all I wanted to know was why people want Geno in smash.
I don't suppose doing a bit of reading of any of the 34,000 posts contained in the 850+ pages of this thread would have worked

or even the first post

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
If I had to choose 14 more characters for future DLC (and couldn't promote Assist Trophies or create new Echo Fighters):

My picks would be
1.Sora
2.Shantae
3. Bill Rizer a.k.a the protag of the original Contra games
4. Tails cause we have Sonic he needs to be playable he is Sonic's right hand man after all.
5. Amaterasu from Okami
6. Spyro
7. Chrono
8. Sans cause memes
9. Bomber Man
10. Leon Kennedy
11. Doom Guy
12. Dante
13. Diablo
!4. Geno

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I have hard times making lists of characters I want. I didn't grow up with a lot. And the characters I do have connections to are already in smash or "no way in hell" tiers of characters.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I don’t see how y’all can’t get 14 haha. Even if I didn’t want 14, there’s a good size of the community that I’d want to be happy beyond my choices:

1. Geno
2. Banjo Kazooie
3. Isaac
4. Chibi-Robo
5. Chorus Kids
6. Excitebiker
7. Slime
8. Ryu Hayabusa
9. Marx
10. Dixie Kong
11. Waluigi to shut far too many IRL friends up
12. Tetromino
13. Bomberman
14. Master Chief cause I love Halo too damn much

Don’t remember if rules said no assists or anything, but there’s 14 easy I’d love to be in the game. And I could get another thirty pretty easily haha.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
So I was looking for games to play online with friends and I remembered Smash Bros Crusade. So I redownloaded it and did the quick cheat to unlock all the stages and characters, and guess who is there? Blue puppet boi! Naturally, I had to try him out...

and I didn't like his playstyle.

I just sat there for an undetermined amount of minutes just staring at my monitor, feeling absolutely awful. Someone took the time to make Geno in their version of Smash, and I don't like playing as him. Sure, he could probably benefit from different normals and tilts and not relying on Timed Hits mechanic for 85-90% of his moveset, but that doesn't change the fact that I didn't enjoy playing as him. It felt like a chore, it felt un-fun and unnecessarily difficult, and I hated myself for not enjoying him...but more than that, my gut sank at the idea: what if Nintendo actually does put Geno in, and I hate how he plays? What if after almost 23 years of waiting for Geno's return he actually gets something this big, and I don't enjoy playing as him? Does the make me a hypocrite? What do I do from there? What was the point of it all?

I moved on and tried other characters like Shantae and Mach Rider, but honestly I ended up quitting playing rather quickly because of how much it bothered me that Geno was on the roster and yet I didn't want to play him.

The idea still bothers me a bit, I'll admit, but since then I've realized that if Geno makes it into Smash for real Sakurai knows how to balance homage with fun and that Geno would likely make more sense to play than he does in Crusade. God, still a scary thought, though.
I know that feeling. Crusade is fan-made, Super Smash Bros. is officially made. Sakurai tends to treat third-parties with the most respect in his games. I don't think there's one character in Smash that's boring, and we can't forget that Geno isn't only in just one fan-made Smash game, he's also in Legacy XP. I haven't tried out Legacy XP, but I heard Geno is VERY fun to use in that game, and that's a fan-made Brawl mod. The difference is Crusade and Smash use different running engines; Crusade is a flash game.

When it comes to Sakurai, the characters he develops never fail to disappoint anyone because he gives everyone a unique moveset; look at Captain Falcon for example, he was able to have his own moveset just by using his limbs, which aren't even used in F-Zero. Leave everything up to Sakurai and his team because if Geno does get in, they will make him unique and enjoyable. I would just look forward to the fact that if Geno is coming, he's making an official comeback after 23 years... imagine his new design today.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Hrmmm 14 characters eh? I'll try with no assist trophies.

1. Banjo and Kazooie
2. Geno
3. Ryu Hayabusa
4. Erdrick
5. Doom Marine Guy...dude...
6. Joanna Dark
7. KOS-MOS
8. Slash (Snowboard Kids)
9. Viewtiful Joe
10. Master Chief (That would shatter the world)
11. Lloyd Irving
12. Kazuma Kiriyu
13. Terry Bogard
14. Monokuma (The idea of him with his Upupupup laugh as a taunt made me laugh)

Tried to reach out to franchises not in or not in as much.

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
I have hard times making lists of characters I want. I didn't grow up with a lot. And the characters I do have connections to are already in smash or "no way in hell" tiers of characters.
I'm curious who you would put in the latter tier?

I think the only characters I really want that fit into the "no way in hell" tier are probably Morrigan (Darkstalkers) and Jill Valentine from RE. Even then, they might be somewhat realizable given how much love Capcom shows smash and vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom