• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Erdrick, Geno & Leakbait: Phew, I'm finally done. Good day everyone I am here to finally post my Speculation Piece I was mentioning yesterday I worked hard on it and stayed up all night last night working on it so I'll probably take a nap after I finish posting it but I'm here to Speculate on the whole SE rep situation, notably Erdrick, Geno & Leakbait so without further ado let's begin. Also side note it's a very long read so I suggest you read at your own pace.

Before we Begin let's define what Leakbait is and what it's used for, Leakbait is the process of a few Employees spreading false information to root out Leakers and catch them redhanded.

Now Let's examine the "Incineroar is Leakbait" theory the community had going while the Grinch Hoax was still alive, it didn't make sense for Incineroar to
be leakbait for one simple reason, when companies do leakbait they usually send out multiple names which wasn't the case for Incineroar but is indeed what happened with the Seven Square names. You would've thought if Incineroar was leakbait some people would've heard "Mimikyu, Decidueye, Lycanroc, Alolan Raichu, Alolan Pokemon Trainer" and so on but no, we had a consistant answer of it being Incineroar.

The Opposite is what's happening with the Square rep we saw Spawn Wave make hints towards Sora being revealed at the TGA's, We saw a few leaks say Chrono namely This one and The JSon Leak. And of course Verge, Polar/Xenother and Tansut claiming Erdrick. That's the difference between "Incineroar is Leakbait!" and "Erdirck Might be Leakbait" it fits the Criteria of Leakbait, which the Incineroar situation did not.

"Okay But Nintendo and Namco Never Use Leakbait!"

Well actually that wouldn't be true cause of SF:Grand Prix being an Industry Hoax which tricked everyone and Namco putting out Leakbait for Tekken 7 Why does Namco Matter? It proves both companies can use Leakbait and will if the Circumstances call for it and with Leakers leaking what was basically the entire Base Roster for Smash Ultimate I can see a timeline where they say "You know what? they leaked the entire roster let's start using leakbait".

Also interesting note before we move on, and this may just be my bias but the Namco tweet says something like "Which is Why Akuma, Neese, Noctis nor Negan ever got leaked" Who's one character off of the Square list that hasn't gotten even a Single leak besides an insider within NoA itself? Geno. I mean after the Square Seven came out btw not before cause of course there were "Leaks" for Geno. It likely doesn't mean anything but it's funny non-the-less.

So they Can and Will Leakbait if under the right Circumstances and the Square Seven could be called into questioning as what if it is indeed Leakbait? it
fits under the criteria for it.

I can't really go against much of what Verge has said about the Square rep except for obviously it not being the first one revealed, we all saw what happened and that maybe it isn't Erdrick but instead Geno. Verge seems to be very Careful about what he puts out there on much of his Smash News but I can still argue for why somethings seem fishy around here.

First off there is so much conflicting information between Leakers and people in general, People first thought that Erdrick must have been his Taller Design
and to be revealed first, that didn't happen so people were thinking he'd obviously be the second character.

Even when the Brave leak came out and it was suggested to be a Short Zoner character people changed their views and thought that Erdrick must be his Chibi Design and use a lot of Magic and such, but Tansut said that Erdrick would come with his Fem Alt yet She doesn't have a Chibi Design so they'd just make a brand-new design for her right on the spot? Not a Single Character in the entire roster to date has had that privilege and with Square being super
stingy I don't think they'd have THAT much cooperation.

Every character that has had an Alt their Alt already previously existed Wire-Frame Mac existed and didn't need a brand new design,Over-alls Wario already Existed, Fem Robin already Existed, Fem Corrin Already Existed and all of them could fit with the Characters without needing to go out of the way to fit
the model by making a new design.

Just remembered the two 5Chan leaks claimed that Alucia and Fem Erdrick will be Alts for Erdrick which again doesn't make sense cause If Namco who is making the game only allows Pac-Man to have colors change on his gloves & Shoes only what makes you think the company who only gave Sakurai One Character, One Stage, Two Songs and Four Spirits (Including the two Fighter Spirits) would make a brand new design for Sakurai to use? that just seems like nonsense.

"Okay but that's the only thing that doesn't add up!"

Nope there's even more, Most Insiders are saying that Erdrick will be the Second or at most Third DLC Character meanwhile a few weeks ago or so Tansut said that Erdrick just started Development so he wouldn't be revealed for awhile which seems to suggest that he'd be the 4th/5th character so people are even conflicted about the release schedule.

Let's even examine the list itself, Having three DQ reps is a very weird thing. You don't see KH getting three characters nor even two, You don't even see
Lara Croft on the list, nor 2B, Edea, Etc. Yet there's three whole DQ Reps it's very weird sure you can make an argument for it being cause there's a
different Protag every game but Slime isn't really needed to be in the List cause it's in DQ3 and DQ11 yet it's still there, I can't really put my finger
on it but it's Strange and maybe they're putting multiple DQ reps out there cause it's not DQ or maybe it's actually Slime.

Meanwhile remember when I said that the Square list might be Leakbait? well Verge also said Geno is Leakbait if the list was sent out by Square and they
said Geno is Leakbait wouldn't it make sense if it's the reverse and the List is Leakbait but Geno is not? I think that would make more sense than them being completely honest especially with all these inconsistencies. We even have an actual NoA insider who has not been wrong a single time in the past say that there's been talk about Geno, I can't Imagine there would be talk of Geno outside of Smash be it a Mii Costume or an actual Playable Character.

Geno wouldn't even make sense to be Leakbait as Companies use Leakbait in order to lower people's expectations only to reveal something people have been wanting, that would be the reverse for this situation. They use Geno, somebody people have been wanting for a Decade+ as Leakbait only to reveal Erdrick who is very Niche outside of Japan and to be added in Smash partly to advertise DQ to the West it wouldn't make sense for this to be the case in fact it would make sense for it to be the Reverse.

Yes while Both are Very Niche Geno still has worldwide appeal and a fanbase everywhere while Erdrick's fanbase mainly comes from one part of the world, Japan. Erdrick does have fans in America/Europe/UK but the majority of his and DQ's fanbase comes from Japan while it's pretty evenly spread across the world with Geno.

I think in the end the reverse of this situation would make more sense and they're just lying about Geno being Leakbait as it doesn't fit how Leakbait is usually done with the more popular and rewarding outcome usually being the one they hide under the veil of Leakbait.

"Okay fine but What does Geno have that Erdrick doesn't?"

Three Words: In-Game Evidence. With Piranha Plant joining so too did a ton of SMRPG references being Smilax in the Palutena guidence, Piranha Plant's Classic Mode being a SMRPG reference, even earlier with Geno & Mallow being Spirits, one of the new Bowser themes having a bit from SMRPG, Etc.

Even outside of Ultimate there's also a SMRPG Reference in Yoshi's Crafted World and also The Tweet by Nintendo, The Trivia Question with Smash being referenced in the beginning of the game, the Smash 4 Mii Costume, the Super Mario Kun Story, Etc. which is a very big contrast to a Decade ago when Nintendo refused to even mention SMRPG.

I'm not claiming to say that this means Geno will be in Smash but it at least shows that Nintendo realizes SMRPG has a very big and Strong cult following
inside and outside of Smash.

So Nintendo Knows but does Sakurai? he without a shadow of a doubt knows of Geno's Popularity as he stated he added the Geno Mii Costume cause of his Popularity Also cause he wanted Geno in Brawl and likely wanted him in Sm4sh but it didn't pan out within Smash 4. He Saw the move-set potential within Geno and wanted him so he is likely a fan of his. this isn't speculation you can specifically see him State he wanted Geno here.

Even Square-Enix knows Geno is Popular cause they put Geno on the list instead of some huge and Iconic Character like Lara Croft/They "leaked" Geno over Lara that proves that at the very least they know Geno is popular and heavily requested for Smash.

So All Parties know Geno is Popular and Polar's NoA contact has heard Geno mumblings around NoA. With Every Party Knowing of his Popularity. Sakurai wanting him for a Decade at this point plus Sakurai adding Fan Favorites I think Nintendo can do Sakurai a Solid and add Geno unless something happens and Square begins to throw a tantrum I see why not. Every Party involved know Geno is Popular, Geno fits within Sakurai's choice of adding fan favorites this time around and Sakurai even wanted Geno and he doesn't seem to be the kind of person who would give up easily. Those things are massive points towards Geno.

"Okay but Geno doesn't fit as DLC"

I disagree with that, From what I've gathered most people seem to think that Nintendo will add Characters that appeal to people who might not have bought Smash yet but here's the thing in my opinion it makes more sense for Nintendo to focus on adding Fan Favorites or Characters that will appeal to both audiences/a Mix of both.

As if you focus on people who haven't bought Smash yet there's no guarantee that those people will buy Smash + the Fighter's Pass as that would be
75 Dollars right there. Some might not even HAVE a Switch so they would have to buy a 300$ Console + a 60$ game + a 25$ DLC Season that rounds up to 375$ just for one game and DLC I heavily doubt People would do that Meanwhile if you do a blend of both or focus on your core audience you'd have GUARANTEED Sales instead of "Let's hope they buy our stuff and hope our core audience like the DLC" I for one will likely skip the DLC if Geno/Banjo aren't in so I'm sure some are like that for their characters.

Your entire Core Audience being guaranteed to buy the DLC or Appealing to people who might not have bought Smash Ultimate or even a Switch, I think it would make more sense for them to do the first and mix in a few DLC characters that also appeal to other fanbases, Geno would appeal to your core audience.

Even then let's say Sakurai did in fact push for Geno in Base Game they could be withholding Geno for DLC cause of Square prioritizing Money more than
playing Nice.

Even Brave's Stats fit Geno with the apparent Short Zoner playstyle, The Sliding, The Wide Shield Size, Etc. Brave just feels like Geno to me, it feels like
what Geno would feel like and play like. Short Zoner fits Geno's Description perfectly with him being slightly shorter than Mario being accurate to Geno's
size and Geno obviously being a Zoner. The sliding cause Geno is Wooden and Wood has a lot of traction. The Wide Shield Size being cause maybe Geno's Cape is flowing outwards making the shield size bigger.

While DQ isn't as complicated as we initially thought Nintendo and Sakurai already have the rights to Geno and supposedly SMRPG so why go out and go through Square-enix and Toriyama when you have a Fan Favorite Character right there one that people have been requesting since Brawl at the latest! People have been wanting Geno for a Decade and they have the right to Geno and Super Mario RPG so why not use them? Not even Nintendo is that dumb. They HAVE to know what they have right in front of them and how important Geno is to a decent size of the Smash fanbase. It is a fact at this point that they have the rights to SMRPG for Smash Use.

In-Game evidence, Reputable NoA contacts saying Geno, All Parties knowing Geno is Popular, References inside and outside of Smash Ultimate, Geno fitting in as DLC, Brave's Stats, They already have the Rights, Etc. There ARE things going for Geno.

"Okay but the Brave Codename doesn't fit Geno" That's the thing! Codenames shouldn't be obvious, they're supposed to loosely tie into the character
and to not be super obvious at first glace but with hindsight or the more you think about other options it starts to make sense, Brave's relation to Erdrick
is too obvious and it doesn't really hide the character's identity well which a good codename should. I really do think it's too obvious, Maybe it is
Erdrick but something seems weird about it.

I think both Geno and Erdrick could make sense for being Brave and I'm not even Saying Erdrick isn't Brave but it's kind of weird, I think we need to look
outside of the box as the saying goes for this one. Maybe we're putting too much emphasis on the Codename and not enough emphasis on the Data sure things could always change but it's more solid than trying to make sense of the Codename when it's there to throw you off of who it's going to be in the first place.

The Data can change but it's entire playstyle cannot change for either it's super early into development or something went terribly wrong, The Apparent
Playstyle suggests it to be a Zoner which fits with Geno or other characters, not so much Erdrick. the entire playstyle did not change for Piranha Plant
nor did it likely change for Joker so unless we can prove otherwise I think it's safe to guess maybe it will change but nothing drastic enough for it to
change the Character's entire archetype.

I simply think we're looking at it from the wrong angle, Maybe Brave really is Geno.

People heavily underestimate Geno and basically act like he's deconfirmed when that's simply not the case in fact I would go so far as to say he's
the second most likely Square rep right behind Erdrick himself. Geno simply has stuff going for him that other characters do not and the information coming out for Erdrick contradicts itself by some saying he'll be revealed next or soon, some saying he'll be revealed as one of the last DLC characters. Some saying he'll have only his fem alt and some saying his fem alt + Alucia when neither characters have Chibi Designs which Erdrick must be if the Square rep is indeed next, I don't think Square would make brand new designs for Smash as they've been very stingy in regards to the game so far. It's rather unlikely. I think Something is definitely up and if you add in all of the Contradictions Erdrick seems suspicious at the very least.

Nintendo already has the rights to the character and the rights to use SMRPG stuff within Smash not even Nintendo is stupid enough to not do anything with them, they already Know Geno is popular and highly requested they wouldn't just let him go unused they'd at least give us the Mii costume if not make him playable not to mention the composer from SMRPG is on board for Smash. Simply put Geno is without a doubt the easiest Square rep to get as everything is laid out right in-front of them they just have to get the go ahead by Square. Every party involved know that Geno is popular so they wouldn't just leave him as a Spirit and do nothing at least they'd give us the Mii Costume if not a Character so I do not think this is all that's left for Geno, I think something is coming I just don't know what.

Geno may not have anything to advertise but he and Super Mario RPG is important to Nintendo and Square's history together as that was Nintendo and Square's first huge collaboration and their last big game for Nintendo before they went non-exclusive so by adding him it would be a nice way to tie up loose ends and would be a symbol of their relationship prospering.

Even everything going on with Brave seems to fit with how Geno would play, a Short Zoner is exactly how this guy would play. Geno is short like slightly
smaller than Mario which fits the height and Geno's main attacking method is using beams and bullets which would be how a Zoner plays. The Sliding even makes sense with Geno as wood has a lot of traction. The Shield Size also makes sense as it would have to be very wide yet we don't know what position the Character is in so who's to say it isn't Geno and his cape is simply flowing back making the shield size bigger, there really isn't anything debunking it nor is there anything to support that claim. If the Square rep is brave I think it might be Geno.

Geno is a unique case as he's a huge outlier for the List so we don't exactly know how likely or unlikely he really is we could be down and be depressed
thinking Geno will never get in but behind the scenes he's the frontrunner, we'd never know that cause he's in such a strange position with Smash and within
Square reps itself. He's kind of irrelevant but there's also so many symbolic reasons to add him and with such a huge fanbase Geno lives on within the
fandom's hearts so he's never really dead. at the very least we can all see that Geno will get in eventually be it the fighters pass, Misc DLC or even Smash
6. Geno is in a very weird position and we can never truly understand how likely or unlikely he really is.

Geno is a strange character as he has many things going for him and somethings not even Erdrick or Sora have yet we can't really predict how likely or
unlikely he is as he's a massive outlier for the list of Square reps, maybe he really is the frontrunner or maybe he's never been discussed we truly cannot
tell for sure all we can do is hope for the best, but with everything going on it seems mighty suspicious.

Something is definitely going on I'm telling Y'all, Geno might actually be more likely than we give him credit for yet we'll never know for sure until the
Square rep is revealed. Maybe Erdrick is indeed leakbait with all the inconsistencies surrounding him so unless Leakers get their story straight and exactly what's going on with Erdrick I'm gonna have to start assuming most of the reason they thought Erdrick was likely is cause of the Brave Datamine, There's simply too much inconsistencies to ignore. Also I have nothing against Insiders and Leakers I'm just saying people should stop taking their words as gospel, they're just as in the dark as we are only that they get information sooner and maybe we're wrong and the Square rep is actually Geno, finally.

"Why would they even Choose Geno? He's not relevant nor would he advertise anything"

Simple, Geno is a symbol of a time where Square and Nintendo were best buddies and when Square was developing games exclusively for Nintendo so Geno would be a character that would symbolize a reuniting of Square and Nintendo in a sense. Fun Fact: SMRPG was Square's last big game before leaving to develop for Playstation so it would make sense for him to bring it back around. Not to mention the fact that he's a fan favorite and they might just MIGHT want to do something nice for the fans this one time, that or Sakurai made a really good deal towards Square.

"Didn't SMRPG Flop?"

No Actually it was the 19th best selling Super Nintendo game of all time and sold 2.1M copies which outdid Kirby Super Star, Chrono Trigger, Super Street
Fighter 2, Super Metroid, Final Fantasy IV, Dragon Quest III, Super Ghouls and Goblins and even Megaman X. So no by no means did it flop. Not to mention people would've played it on the Wii and Wii U virtual Console + The SNES Classic and Emulation so by all means we know more than 2M people played SMRPG.

"Square doesn't care about the fans they'd rather put in someone who they could advertise."

Sure that is indeed the case but just cause they don't care doesn't mean Nintendo and Sakurai don't care In-Fact I would say they do care about what the fans want this time around so there's nothing saying Sakurai and Nintendo didn't strike a mutually beneficial deal with Square for Geno and that they took it. We simply don't know all of the details so there's nothing going either way, Maybe they struck a deal maybe they didn't.

With all this said and done I want to clarify something, I do not dislike DQ fans nor do I dislike DQ in general I simply want to defend my boy Geno with all my might cause he's a good character and I think he should get in, If both got in I would be more than Satisfied with that I would celebrate with DQ fans and Square fans in general as we both got what we wanted and I would be happy for you guys. So yeah if you have the misconception that I dislike DQ fans, I don't so just letting y'all know that. Cya.
I finished all of this. Wow, my mind is blown and I must resist on getting my hopes up, but with all this evidence of SMRPG's composer already being onboard, Geno and Mallow being the only Square spirits, the senior artist drawing, Geno told as "not taken too seriously" to throw us off, the 22nd year tweet, the trivia question, the SMRPG music played at the Nintendo NY store, no SMRPG music at all in the game, SMRPG references, Megasmilax mentioning, CHEWIE mentioning, etc., there's just so much evidence that can go for Geno. I really wonder if he's coming. I'll try not to get my hopes up, but I'm fine with Geno being 2nd and Erdrick being our 4th or 5th DLC character because his fans will also get what they want.
"Didn't SMRPG Flop?"

No Actually it was the 19th best selling Super Nintendo game of all time and sold 2.1M copies which outdid Kirby Super Star, Chrono Trigger, Super Street
Fighter 2, Super Metroid, Final Fantasy IV, Dragon Quest III, Super Ghouls and Goblins and even Megaman X. So no by no means did it flop. Not to mention people would've played it on the Wii and Wii U virtual Console + The SNES Classic and Emulation so by all means we know more than 2M people played SMRPG.
I'm gonna add more to this: This is also Square's 11th best selling game and their 8th best selling franchise, and right when SMRPG came out in North America, it was the MOST rented game in NA for 14 weeks straight. If it wasn't for SMRPG, I'm pretty sure the RPG genre would have a different perspective compared to its popularity in NA today.

Final Fantasy VII is also what helped with the RPG titles, and I think I know why a lot of people sought FF7... SquareSoft being written on its game case, the same people that made SMRPG, so that's possibly one of the reasons why FF7 did so well on the market because people realized this is the same company that developed SMRPG, so they tried FF7 out and it become a success. The late '90s were really a good time for the gaming market.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If I recall correct, the Jack name was known before the reveal in the datamining community because the game got out early, but they had no clue who it was. I am pretty sure Fatmanonice Fatmanonice mentioned this before after everything was exposed.
Yes. "Jack" was known by a handful of dataminers as far back as early November. Without context, a good number of people believed it was Raiden from Metal Gear because Jack is the character's actual name and the fact that the stats lined up with a swift swordsmen.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Yes. "Jack" was known by a handful of dataminers as far back as early November. Without context, a good number of people believed it was Raiden from Metal Gear because Jack is the character's actual name and the fact that the stats lined up with a swift swordsmen.
This perfectly exemplifies what I’m talking about with the addendum that Brave doesn’t even line up as well for Erdrick.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Good to know. Hindsight can majorly effect perspective on stuff like this, so getting the perspective on those who knew of "Jack" before the Joker reveal is great to hear.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
*Wishes for Geno as DLC*

I Swear if Geno gets in as DLC I will at the very least Secondary him if not main him.
And I know exactly who's gonna be the first person to main him... TerminalMontage TerminalMontage is gonna be up for days playing Geno and becoming the very best Geno main, unless I beat him to it and become the best main Geno first. ;)

D

Deleted member

Holy crap, guys, just realized something.

If Brave is Geno, why does he have a wider shield? Well, when most characters block, they usually contract their shape and pull their limbs inward to assume guarding position. Why would this be different with Geno?

Because whenever Geno guards in SMRPG, he extends his arm OUTWARDS; he doesn't pull himself closer like most other characters! This would explain why his shield is wider: to compensate for his arm sticking out forward! It make sense!
By the beard of Zeus...

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Geno being leakbait (as well as Sora not being possible) have no evidence or credibility behind them: both these statements are his own speculation, and seeing as he has been saying it's Erdrick for a while not and that he has shown to have a bias against Geno and his fans (I believe he made a post calling people ********/something about marrying or having sex with dolls since we love them so much or whatever) we can't take anything he says against Geno seriously due to his own bias. That and his reputation has been falling lower and lower recently.
Since his sources said Sora is automatically out and Geno is not to be taken seriously, and if Erdrick and the rest are leakbait, I have a feeling it just seems like these two are frontrunners up for DLC. I can see both of them being DLC characters, and I think it's miles better than just Erdrick because Geno and Sora are the most requested Square characters at the moment; you'd be pleasing more fans since both of their fanbases are worldwide and not in just one place. I don't think it's the saying of "If you want Geno, pick another character to be with him", but if Sora and Geno are coming, I believe it's because Sakurai knows it doesn't hurt to try and ask for another character, and while Sakurai and Nintendo are already working out the licensing with Geno, Sakurai probably thought to himself: "While I'm at it, let's try and get Sora." Nomura already has the authority of Sora, and Disney said they'd be okay with it; not to mention that the KH composer is Yoko Shimomura, Super Mario RPG's composer, so getting some KH content in Smash is going to be difficult because of Disney, but it's miles easier than getting DQ content in Smash.

I mean, Joker, Geno, Banjo, a first-party, and Sora would be and sound like an amazing DLC lineup. Anybody agree with me?

D

Deleted member

Since his sources said Sora is automatically out and Geno is not to be taken seriously, and if Erdrick and the rest are leakbait, I have a feeling it just seems like these two are frontrunners up for DLC. I can see both of them being DLC characters, and I think it's miles better than just Erdrick because Geno and Sora are the most requested Square characters at the moment; you'd be pleasing more fans since both of their fanbases are worldwide and not in just one place. I don't think it's the saying of "If you want Geno, pick another character to be with him", but if Sora and Geno are coming, I believe it's because Sakurai knows it doesn't hurt to try and ask for another character, and while Sakurai and Nintendo are already working out the licensing with Geno, Sakurai probably thought to himself: "While I'm at it, let's try and get Sora." Nomura already has the authority of Sora, and Disney said they'd be okay with it; not to mention that the KH composer is Yoko Shimomura, Super Mario RPG's composer, so getting some KH content in Smash is going to be difficult because of Disney, but it's miles easier than getting DQ content in Smash.

I mean, Joker, Geno, Banjo, a first-party, and Sora would be and sound like an amazing DLC lineup. Anybody agree with me?
That would definitely be an amazing DLC roster I would definitely buy it for sure.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
That would definitely be an amazing DLC roster I would definitely buy it for sure.
Thank you, and same here. I was actually going to put Crash Bandicoot as the 4th character because I think he deserves it. Crash is a huge gaming icon and has been on many Nintendo consoles before, recently having a trilogy on the Switch, and Crash is the "Mario" of Sony, so having another gaming icon like him in Smash would be awesome; an old friend of mine also said he wants to see Crash make it since he's wanted him in Smash for years now, and I'd be very happy for him if Crash got in. So Crash can be used for fan service and promoting, but he definitely would be an excellent choice for DLC.

In my opinion, I think Crash deserves a chance in Smash, but I know there are a lot of people in here and out there that at least want a first-party, so I thought I'd let you all decide on the 4th.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

I would actually buy the fighter pass if this is what we were getting.

D

Deleted member

Thank you, and same here. I was actually going to put Crash Bandicoot as the 4th character because I think he deserves it. Crash is a huge gaming icon and has been on many Nintendo consoles before, recently having a trilogy on the Switch, and Crash is the "Mario" of Sony, so having another gaming icon like him in Smash would be awesome; an old friend of mine also said he wants to see Crash make it since he's wanted him in Smash for years now, and I'd be very happy for him if Crash got in. So Crash can be used for fan service and promoting, but he definitely would be an excellent choice for DLC.

In my opinion, I think Crash deserves a chance in Smash, but I know there are a lot of people in here and out there that at least want a first-party, so I thought I'd let you all decide on the 4th.
I do think Crash should get in Smash too and for a 1st party rep I would've chose Isaac but he sadly got AT'd, my next choice for a First Party Rep would be another Mother Rep be it Duster, Porky or Ninten.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

This would actually be pretty sick, especially if the first-party character ended up being someone else highly requested like Bandana Dee. Definitely would invest in the Fighter Pass if it looked like this.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I do think Crash should get in Smash too and for a 1st party rep I would've chose Isaac but he sadly got AT'd, my next choice for a First Party Rep would be another Mother Rep be it Duster, Porky or Ninten.
I think Isaac is second-party, but I see what you mean. If we do get a misc. DLC like Ovaltine mentioned, he's definitely #1 on that list, and I, too, will support him.

D

Deleted member

I think Isaac is second-party, but I see what you mean. If we do get a misc. DLC like Ovaltine mentioned, he's definitely #1 on that list, and I, too, will support him.
I'll without a doubt Support Isaac if we get Misc. DLC or a Season 2 cause I feel bad for Isaac fans and Isaac would be a cool character.

Pokemaster73

Smash Cadet
Just beat Mario RPG for the second time. God, what a wonderful game. I wish it got more attention. A remake would surely help. Let's hope for the best for our puppet boy's inclusion.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Adding my thoughts on the speculation train. It's tricky to gauge what Sakurai and Nintendo's character choices are based off of one officially revealed character that no one saw coming (Heh, Persona pun) and rumors of certain characters coming from various people on the internet that we have no definitive evidence of.

The thing is, we don't know what kind of characters are on the Fighter Pass. Reggie's words during the Game Awards are vague enough to not give any information on what Nintendo and Sakurai are planning for the characters on the pass. There is a chance that Joker is an exception and the rest of the pass are characters with long-term support / high requests from the Smash fanbase or characters with significant Nintendo backgrounds. Likewise, there is also the possibility that the rest of the Fighter Pass are pure crack picks* like Joker (Kat ,2B, Master Chief, Dante, etc.) and none of the characters with large threads on this forum got in.

Joker hasn't hurt Geno's chances in any way at this point, since we don't know what Nintendo/ Sakurai chose for the other roster spots. If the next reveals are characters that are highly requested (evident by large support threads on this forum) and suggest Joker being an exception, I'd say Geno's chances are pretty high. Though if the next reveals continue to be crack picks like Joker, then Geno's chances are lowered under the notion that Nintendo and Sakurai does not take the size of a character's support and/or background into consideration when choosing characters (and are probably aiming for picks that can create the biggest hype/salt storms on the web).

Some people claim that if Sakurai was left to his own devices, we would be seeing more crack pick characters on the roster (and I mean really crack!). If the Fighter Pass ends up being full of crack picks, then it will turn out that it was Nintendo, not Sakurai, that those people should have been worried about.

TLDR: At this point, we cannot determine if Geno's chances have been hurt or not. Joker's reveal has not done anything to affect Geno's chances since we don't know what the remaining Fighter Pass characters entail.

* Note: Your mileage may vary on what constitutes a "crack pick" character. For me, a character that is a "crack pick" is one that hasn't made more than one or two major appearances in games on a Nintendo platform and is generally not associated with Nintendo.

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
Regarding speculation, I have narrowed the final four DLC characters as a group of 8:

Microsoft: Banjo or Steve
Bethesda: Doomguy or Dragonborn
Square: Erdrick or Geno
Koei or Namco: Ryu H or Lloyd Irving

To me, I think this is a solid final 8 characters.

Capcom and Konami got overall great representation in the base game, so I don't really think we'll get characters from those companies in DLC (sorry Phoenix Wright). Also, Joker is a Sega property, so no more Sega representation either (sorry Tails).

I would give honorable mention to Sora and Crash, but I don't think they're likely spots for this round of DLC and my be used as big reveals for the next smash game (regardless if it's a port or otherwise).

My gut tells me the remaining characters are Banjo, Doomguy, Erdrick, and a true toss-up between Ryu H. and Lloyd.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627

If Brave is Geno, why does he have a wider shield? Well, when most characters block, they usually contract their shape and pull their limbs inward to assume guarding position. Why would this be different with Geno?

Because whenever Geno guards in SMRPG, he extends his arm OUTWARDS; he doesn't pull himself closer like most other characters! This would explain why his shield is wider: to compensate for his arm sticking out forward! It make sense!
This is something I hadn't heard anyone discussing yet and it needs to be. This makes SOOOO much sense.

D

Deleted member

Erdrick, Geno & Leakbait: Phew, I'm finally done. Good day everyone I am here to finally post my Speculation Piece I was mentioning yesterday I worked hard on it and stayed up all night last night working on it so I'll probably take a nap after I finish posting it but I'm here to Speculate on the whole SE rep situation, notably Erdrick, Geno & Leakbait so without further ado let's begin. Also side note it's a very long read so I suggest you read at your own pace.

Before we Begin let's define what Leakbait is and what it's used for, Leakbait is the process of a few Employees spreading false information to root out Leakers and catch them redhanded.

Now Let's examine the "Incineroar is Leakbait" theory the community had going while the Grinch Hoax was still alive, it didn't make sense for Incineroar to
be leakbait for one simple reason, when companies do leakbait they usually send out multiple names which wasn't the case for Incineroar but is indeed what happened with the Seven Square names. You would've thought if Incineroar was leakbait some people would've heard "Mimikyu, Decidueye, Lycanroc, Alolan Raichu, Alolan Pokemon Trainer" and so on but no, we had a consistant answer of it being Incineroar.

The Opposite is what's happening with the Square rep we saw Spawn Wave make hints towards Sora being revealed at the TGA's, We saw a few leaks say Chrono namely This one and The JSon Leak. And of course Verge, Polar/Xenother and Tansut claiming Erdrick. That's the difference between "Incineroar is Leakbait!" and "Erdirck Might be Leakbait" it fits the Criteria of Leakbait, which the Incineroar situation did not.

"Okay But Nintendo and Namco Never Use Leakbait!"

Well actually that wouldn't be true cause of SF:Grand Prix being an Industry Hoax which tricked everyone and Namco putting out Leakbait for Tekken 7 Why does Namco Matter? It proves both companies can use Leakbait and will if the Circumstances call for it and with Leakers leaking what was basically the entire Base Roster for Smash Ultimate I can see a timeline where they say "You know what? they leaked the entire roster let's start using leakbait".

Also interesting note before we move on, and this may just be my bias but the Namco tweet says something like "Which is Why Akuma, Neese, Noctis nor Negan ever got leaked" Who's one character off of the Square list that hasn't gotten even a Single leak besides an insider within NoA itself? Geno. I mean after the Square Seven came out btw not before cause of course there were "Leaks" for Geno. It likely doesn't mean anything but it's funny non-the-less.

So they Can and Will Leakbait if under the right Circumstances and the Square Seven could be called into questioning as what if it is indeed Leakbait? it
fits under the criteria for it.

I can't really go against much of what Verge has said about the Square rep except for obviously it not being the first one revealed, we all saw what happened and that maybe it isn't Erdrick but instead Geno. Verge seems to be very Careful about what he puts out there on much of his Smash News but I can still argue for why somethings seem fishy around here.

First off there is so much conflicting information between Leakers and people in general, People first thought that Erdrick must have been his Taller Design
and to be revealed first, that didn't happen so people were thinking he'd obviously be the second character.

Even when the Brave leak came out and it was suggested to be a Short Zoner character people changed their views and thought that Erdrick must be his Chibi Design and use a lot of Magic and such, but Tansut said that Erdrick would come with his Fem Alt yet She doesn't have a Chibi Design so they'd just make a brand-new design for her right on the spot? Not a Single Character in the entire roster to date has had that privilege and with Square being super
stingy I don't think they'd have THAT much cooperation.

Every character that has had an Alt their Alt already previously existed Wire-Frame Mac existed and didn't need a brand new design,Over-alls Wario already Existed, Fem Robin already Existed, Fem Corrin Already Existed and all of them could fit with the Characters without needing to go out of the way to fit
the model by making a new design.

Just remembered the two 5Chan leaks claimed that Alucia and Fem Erdrick will be Alts for Erdrick which again doesn't make sense cause If Namco who is making the game only allows Pac-Man to have colors change on his gloves & Shoes only what makes you think the company who only gave Sakurai One Character, One Stage, Two Songs and Four Spirits (Including the two Fighter Spirits) would make a brand new design for Sakurai to use? that just seems like nonsense.

"Okay but that's the only thing that doesn't add up!"

Nope there's even more, Most Insiders are saying that Erdrick will be the Second or at most Third DLC Character meanwhile a few weeks ago or so Tansut said that Erdrick just started Development so he wouldn't be revealed for awhile which seems to suggest that he'd be the 4th/5th character so people are even conflicted about the release schedule.

Let's even examine the list itself, Having three DQ reps is a very weird thing. You don't see KH getting three characters nor even two, You don't even see
Lara Croft on the list, nor 2B, Edea, Etc. Yet there's three whole DQ Reps it's very weird sure you can make an argument for it being cause there's a
different Protag every game but Slime isn't really needed to be in the List cause it's in DQ3 and DQ11 yet it's still there, I can't really put my finger
on it but it's Strange and maybe they're putting multiple DQ reps out there cause it's not DQ or maybe it's actually Slime.

Meanwhile remember when I said that the Square list might be Leakbait? well Verge also said Geno is Leakbait if the list was sent out by Square and they
said Geno is Leakbait wouldn't it make sense if it's the reverse and the List is Leakbait but Geno is not? I think that would make more sense than them being completely honest especially with all these inconsistencies. We even have an actual NoA insider who has not been wrong a single time in the past say that there's been talk about Geno, I can't Imagine there would be talk of Geno outside of Smash be it a Mii Costume or an actual Playable Character.

Geno wouldn't even make sense to be Leakbait as Companies use Leakbait in order to lower people's expectations only to reveal something people have been wanting, that would be the reverse for this situation. They use Geno, somebody people have been wanting for a Decade+ as Leakbait only to reveal Erdrick who is very Niche outside of Japan and to be added in Smash partly to advertise DQ to the West it wouldn't make sense for this to be the case in fact it would make sense for it to be the Reverse.

Yes while Both are Very Niche Geno still has worldwide appeal and a fanbase everywhere while Erdrick's fanbase mainly comes from one part of the world, Japan. Erdrick does have fans in America/Europe/UK but the majority of his and DQ's fanbase comes from Japan while it's pretty evenly spread across the world with Geno.

I think in the end the reverse of this situation would make more sense and they're just lying about Geno being Leakbait as it doesn't fit how Leakbait is usually done with the more popular and rewarding outcome usually being the one they hide under the veil of Leakbait.

"Okay fine but What does Geno have that Erdrick doesn't?"

Three Words: In-Game Evidence. With Piranha Plant joining so too did a ton of SMRPG references being Smilax in the Palutena guidence, Piranha Plant's Classic Mode being a SMRPG reference, even earlier with Geno & Mallow being Spirits, one of the new Bowser themes having a bit from SMRPG, Etc.

Even outside of Ultimate there's also a SMRPG Reference in Yoshi's Crafted World and also The Tweet by Nintendo, The Trivia Question with Smash being referenced in the beginning of the game, the Smash 4 Mii Costume, the Super Mario Kun Story, Etc. which is a very big contrast to a Decade ago when Nintendo refused to even mention SMRPG.

I'm not claiming to say that this means Geno will be in Smash but it at least shows that Nintendo realizes SMRPG has a very big and Strong cult following
inside and outside of Smash.

So Nintendo Knows but does Sakurai? he without a shadow of a doubt knows of Geno's Popularity as he stated he added the Geno Mii Costume cause of his Popularity Also cause he wanted Geno in Brawl and likely wanted him in Sm4sh but it didn't pan out within Smash 4. He Saw the move-set potential within Geno and wanted him so he is likely a fan of his. this isn't speculation you can specifically see him State he wanted Geno here.

Even Square-Enix knows Geno is Popular cause they put Geno on the list instead of some huge and Iconic Character like Lara Croft/They "leaked" Geno over Lara that proves that at the very least they know Geno is popular and heavily requested for Smash.

So All Parties know Geno is Popular and Polar's NoA contact has heard Geno mumblings around NoA. With Every Party Knowing of his Popularity. Sakurai wanting him for a Decade at this point plus Sakurai adding Fan Favorites I think Nintendo can do Sakurai a Solid and add Geno unless something happens and Square begins to throw a tantrum I see why not. Every Party involved know Geno is Popular, Geno fits within Sakurai's choice of adding fan favorites this time around and Sakurai even wanted Geno and he doesn't seem to be the kind of person who would give up easily. Those things are massive points towards Geno.

"Okay but Geno doesn't fit as DLC"

I disagree with that, From what I've gathered most people seem to think that Nintendo will add Characters that appeal to people who might not have bought Smash yet but here's the thing in my opinion it makes more sense for Nintendo to focus on adding Fan Favorites or Characters that will appeal to both audiences/a Mix of both.

As if you focus on people who haven't bought Smash yet there's no guarantee that those people will buy Smash + the Fighter's Pass as that would be
75 Dollars right there. Some might not even HAVE a Switch so they would have to buy a 300$ Console + a 60$ game + a 25$ DLC Season that rounds up to 375$ just for one game and DLC I heavily doubt People would do that Meanwhile if you do a blend of both or focus on your core audience you'd have GUARANTEED Sales instead of "Let's hope they buy our stuff and hope our core audience like the DLC" I for one will likely skip the DLC if Geno/Banjo aren't in so I'm sure some are like that for their characters.

Your entire Core Audience being guaranteed to buy the DLC or Appealing to people who might not have bought Smash Ultimate or even a Switch, I think it would make more sense for them to do the first and mix in a few DLC characters that also appeal to other fanbases, Geno would appeal to your core audience.

Even then let's say Sakurai did in fact push for Geno in Base Game they could be withholding Geno for DLC cause of Square prioritizing Money more than
playing Nice.

Even Brave's Stats fit Geno with the apparent Short Zoner playstyle, The Sliding, The Wide Shield Size, Etc. Brave just feels like Geno to me, it feels like
what Geno would feel like and play like. Short Zoner fits Geno's Description perfectly with him being slightly shorter than Mario being accurate to Geno's
size and Geno obviously being a Zoner. The sliding cause Geno is Wooden and Wood has a lot of traction. The Wide Shield Size being cause maybe Geno's Cape is flowing outwards making the shield size bigger.

While DQ isn't as complicated as we initially thought Nintendo and Sakurai already have the rights to Geno and supposedly SMRPG so why go out and go through Square-enix and Toriyama when you have a Fan Favorite Character right there one that people have been requesting since Brawl at the latest! People have been wanting Geno for a Decade and they have the right to Geno and Super Mario RPG so why not use them? Not even Nintendo is that dumb. They HAVE to know what they have right in front of them and how important Geno is to a decent size of the Smash fanbase. It is a fact at this point that they have the rights to SMRPG for Smash Use.

In-Game evidence, Reputable NoA contacts saying Geno, All Parties knowing Geno is Popular, References inside and outside of Smash Ultimate, Geno fitting in as DLC, Brave's Stats, They already have the Rights, Etc. There ARE things going for Geno.

"Okay but the Brave Codename doesn't fit Geno" That's the thing! Codenames shouldn't be obvious, they're supposed to loosely tie into the character
and to not be super obvious at first glace but with hindsight or the more you think about other options it starts to make sense, Brave's relation to Erdrick
is too obvious and it doesn't really hide the character's identity well which a good codename should. I really do think it's too obvious, Maybe it is
Erdrick but something seems weird about it.

I think both Geno and Erdrick could make sense for being Brave and I'm not even Saying Erdrick isn't Brave but it's kind of weird, I think we need to look
outside of the box as the saying goes for this one. Maybe we're putting too much emphasis on the Codename and not enough emphasis on the Data sure things could always change but it's more solid than trying to make sense of the Codename when it's there to throw you off of who it's going to be in the first place.

The Data can change but it's entire playstyle cannot change for either it's super early into development or something went terribly wrong, The Apparent
Playstyle suggests it to be a Zoner which fits with Geno or other characters, not so much Erdrick. the entire playstyle did not change for Piranha Plant
nor did it likely change for Joker so unless we can prove otherwise I think it's safe to guess maybe it will change but nothing drastic enough for it to
change the Character's entire archetype.

I simply think we're looking at it from the wrong angle, Maybe Brave really is Geno.

People heavily underestimate Geno and basically act like he's deconfirmed when that's simply not the case in fact I would go so far as to say he's
the second most likely Square rep right behind Erdrick himself. Geno simply has stuff going for him that other characters do not and the information coming out for Erdrick contradicts itself by some saying he'll be revealed next or soon, some saying he'll be revealed as one of the last DLC characters. Some saying he'll have only his fem alt and some saying his fem alt + Alucia when neither characters have Chibi Designs which Erdrick must be if the Square rep is indeed next, I don't think Square would make brand new designs for Smash as they've been very stingy in regards to the game so far. It's rather unlikely. I think Something is definitely up and if you add in all of the Contradictions Erdrick seems suspicious at the very least.

Nintendo already has the rights to the character and the rights to use SMRPG stuff within Smash not even Nintendo is stupid enough to not do anything with them, they already Know Geno is popular and highly requested they wouldn't just let him go unused they'd at least give us the Mii costume if not make him playable not to mention the composer from SMRPG is on board for Smash. Simply put Geno is without a doubt the easiest Square rep to get as everything is laid out right in-front of them they just have to get the go ahead by Square. Every party involved know that Geno is popular so they wouldn't just leave him as a Spirit and do nothing at least they'd give us the Mii Costume if not a Character so I do not think this is all that's left for Geno, I think something is coming I just don't know what.

Geno may not have anything to advertise but he and Super Mario RPG is important to Nintendo and Square's history together as that was Nintendo and Square's first huge collaboration and their last big game for Nintendo before they went non-exclusive so by adding him it would be a nice way to tie up loose ends and would be a symbol of their relationship prospering.

Even everything going on with Brave seems to fit with how Geno would play, a Short Zoner is exactly how this guy would play. Geno is short like slightly
smaller than Mario which fits the height and Geno's main attacking method is using beams and bullets which would be how a Zoner plays. The Sliding even makes sense with Geno as wood has a lot of traction. The Shield Size also makes sense as it would have to be very wide yet we don't know what position the Character is in so who's to say it isn't Geno and his cape is simply flowing back making the shield size bigger, there really isn't anything debunking it nor is there anything to support that claim. If the Square rep is brave I think it might be Geno.

Geno is a unique case as he's a huge outlier for the List so we don't exactly know how likely or unlikely he really is we could be down and be depressed
thinking Geno will never get in but behind the scenes he's the frontrunner, we'd never know that cause he's in such a strange position with Smash and within
Square reps itself. He's kind of irrelevant but there's also so many symbolic reasons to add him and with such a huge fanbase Geno lives on within the
fandom's hearts so he's never really dead. at the very least we can all see that Geno will get in eventually be it the fighters pass, Misc DLC or even Smash
6. Geno is in a very weird position and we can never truly understand how likely or unlikely he really is.

Geno is a strange character as he has many things going for him and somethings not even Erdrick or Sora have yet we can't really predict how likely or
unlikely he is as he's a massive outlier for the list of Square reps, maybe he really is the frontrunner or maybe he's never been discussed we truly cannot
tell for sure all we can do is hope for the best, but with everything going on it seems mighty suspicious.

Something is definitely going on I'm telling Y'all, Geno might actually be more likely than we give him credit for yet we'll never know for sure until the
Square rep is revealed. Maybe Erdrick is indeed leakbait with all the inconsistencies surrounding him so unless Leakers get their story straight and exactly what's going on with Erdrick I'm gonna have to start assuming most of the reason they thought Erdrick was likely is cause of the Brave Datamine, There's simply too much inconsistencies to ignore. Also I have nothing against Insiders and Leakers I'm just saying people should stop taking their words as gospel, they're just as in the dark as we are only that they get information sooner and maybe we're wrong and the Square rep is actually Geno, finally.

"Why would they even Choose Geno? He's not relevant nor would he advertise anything"

Simple, Geno is a symbol of a time where Square and Nintendo were best buddies and when Square was developing games exclusively for Nintendo so Geno would be a character that would symbolize a reuniting of Square and Nintendo in a sense. Fun Fact: SMRPG was Square's last big game before leaving to develop for Playstation so it would make sense for him to bring it back around. Not to mention the fact that he's a fan favorite and they might just MIGHT want to do something nice for the fans this one time, that or Sakurai made a really good deal towards Square.

"Didn't SMRPG Flop?"

"Square doesn't care about the fans they'd rather put in someone who they could advertise."

Sure that is indeed the case but just cause they don't care doesn't mean Nintendo and Sakurai don't care In-Fact I would say they do care about what the fans want this time around so there's nothing saying Sakurai and Nintendo didn't strike a mutually beneficial deal with Square for Geno and that they took it. We simply don't know all of the details so there's nothing going either way, Maybe they struck a deal maybe they didn't.

With all this said and done I want to clarify something, I do not dislike DQ fans nor do I dislike DQ in general I simply want to defend my boy Geno with all my might cause he's a good character and I think he should get in, If both got in I would be more than Satisfied with that I would celebrate with DQ fans and Square fans in general as we both got what we wanted and I would be happy for you guys. So yeah if you have the misconception that I dislike DQ fans, I don't so just letting y'all know that. Cya.
Awesome job on this, man. You addressed many points perfectly, and points I hadn't come across. Nice job :)

If I remember correctly, Verge didn't say that Geno was leakbait, just that he was told to not take him seriously...which sounds like a biased source (or he's biased himself, which he seems he might be based on some comments he's made on GameFaqs).

The only one that Verge or his source said was not in is Sora; I don't know how they would know that, though, unless they saw some proof (dunno what that'd be) or a higher-up said so for some reason.
Well, according to Polar, Verge was told that Geno is leakbait, so, yes, he has been told that it's not Geno or Sora

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Something about the Geno being leak bait thing still seems absolutely odd. I can understand using it to throw employees off, making them think that, "Well, this would be a likely choice, so it probably is Geno. I'll leak it!" which springs Squeenix's trap. That being said, how would those employees then readily know that he is leak bait? How are they so privy to that? Is it meant to throw the public off then? He'd then be awfully poor leak bait, not because it wouldn't succeed, but because it'd totally sour peoples' views on Square's involvement with Nintendo. It sends a message of, "We know you want him, but we don't care, so we're going to dangle your desires in front of you like a tasty steak before taking them away and leaving you with a salad." The salad isn't bad, but gosh darn it, we wanted that steak. It's honestly kinda cruel.

Then again, Square is very business-oriented and not fan-oriented. They don't really give a hoot. I don't know if I could see Nintendo being that way and using Geno as leak bait, but Square doing so isn't so out there. However, there is also the NoA Geno rumor floating around, so it's like... what, even higher supervisors at NoA have fallen for the leak bait? That can't be. The rumor must have spawned from something of actual substance, but what? Is it just a wild guess based on speculation from a higher-up? Who even knows?

All I know is, if Geno ends up being purely leak bait, then yikes. Honestly, even Erdrick being leak bait is yikes, especially since all signs seem to be pointing to him. That's being needlessly cruel to DQ's fans, too. Dang, Square, why are you like this?

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I admit I'm very impressed by the amount of words you manage to rgnaize about Geno's chances. Just I cannot say that I fully agree with the points. Here is my thought:

"In-Game Evidence"

I feel it's still abit tricky as long as SMRPG does relate to the current Mario characters or species from that timeline. It's actually abit farfetched to assume that plant piranha's inclusion is only for reference of SMRPG. Well if it's me I'd just replace plant piranha with Geno and release a slot for a more wanted character from other series.

"Square-Enix knows Geno is Popular "

In that case my answer is still that, Square is pretty much supposed to do a big game plan for Geno just like how Microsoft did for Banjo, glad you mention him here.

I completely agree that Square should not ignore Geno at all, but I would question whether giving Geno a Smash fighter slot is the only and correct way to make up for what they've done to him. If Geno lacks more necessary experience as a video game icon, then I believe that Square can start any game plan for him to make up for that.

"within Smash not even Nintendo is stupid enough"
I do get what you mean, but here is a small contradiction I think we should notice here. This is not enough.

For the core SMRPG fans, I think the best outcome for Geno is suppsoed to be his official return in Mario games as a main Mario character. I understand that fans her have been talking about him for long time cause believing in the ties of Square in Smash bros that may provide chances for the use for Geno. But if Geno needs to go back to Mario games, either NIntendo has to get back his full rights, or Square has to keep the longterm partnership and provide the rights all the time. However if we only think Geno;s chacne is only restricted within Smash 5, that would not ensure Geno a bright future in the regular games or in the general game industry.

I disagree because it sounds like fans only want Geno to be playable in Smash 5 and that's just the end of story and he don't need to return in more games. At least I believe this is not what his loyal fans should think like.

The other option, as said, is to ask Square to start their own game plan for Geno, in that case this may give Geno a chance to become a legal game protagonist that has the same fame as Mario and DK, but the price is, sadly, SMRPG would not be noted in Geno's experience ever again.

"symbol of a time where Square and Nintendo"
What I concern the most is, they may still be in a good partnership today, but do they both care SMRPG? Just like you say they may possibly choose to advertise some other franchsies instead. The logic hole is still that, if they do notice Geno's popularity they'd already have done something for him outside Smash bros.

I think in a more general aspects, not restricted to a collaboration title or franchise, Such as, the fact Square releases exclusive game titles such as Octopath is a sign of their good partnership. Thay bond is not really resttricted within SMRPG, Fortune Street or Smash bros, so I think that does ensure that Geno would have the chance if NIntendo and Square do volunteer to make use of him to take care of the fanbase.
Just in general, I think NIntendo and Square owe loyal fans a good service of returing favorite characters of Mario RPGs, so it'd be a good favor to see Geno get big spotlgihts in any form.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
For the core SMRPG fans, I think the best outcome for Geno is suppsoed to be his official return in Mario games as a main Mario character. I understand that fans her have been talking about him for long time cause believing in the ties of Square in Smash bros that may provide chances for the use for Geno. But if Geno needs to go back to Mario games, either NIntendo has to get back his full rights, or Square has to keep the longterm partnership and provide the rights all the time. However if we only think Geno;s chacne is only restricted within Smash 5, that would not ensure Geno a bright future in the regular games or in the general game industry.

I disagree because it sounds like fans only want Geno to be playable in Smash 5 and that's just the end of story and he don't need to return in more games. At least I believe this is not what his loyal fans should think like.
This, THIS SO MUCH. Smash would be a great way to bring him back, but would it definitely be a revival? It might at least show Square that he's profitable, which would boost those chances, but it guarantees nothing. A return for him in the Mario series would be best to have first. He and Mallow are a combined symbol of how well their partnership used to be, so bringing them back would be the magnum opus of Nintendo and Square finally making fullest amends. I'd personally like to see Geno and Mallow return in the Mario series before Smash, but the chances of that are awfully iffy. I won't give up hope for it, though!

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Here is a question. Was SMRPG the first ever JRPG you’ve played and/or the game that introduced you to the JRPG genre? I would imagine people at the time of release who were big into Mario but not too big into the JRPG genre buying or taking interest in the game because it featured Mario characters.

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice

Geno and Banjo would be godly!

Pokemaster73

Smash Cadet

Holy ****. You might be onto something.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Here is a question. Was SMRPG the first ever JRPG you’ve played and/or the game that introduced you to the JRPG genre? I would imagine people at the time of release who were big into Mario but not too big into the JRPG genre buying or taking interest in the game because it featured Mario characters.
I imagine it was that way for many people. My first JRPG was Earthbound though. It was the modern aesthetic and kid characters that drew me.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
It sure was for me. I remember I played Pokemon before then, but that hardly counts. That's actually a big part of why I appreciate SMRPG so much, as RPGs have come to be my favorite genre of games.
Something about the Geno being leak bait thing still seems absolutely odd. I can understand using it to throw employees off, making them think that, "Well, this would be a likely choice, so it probably is Geno. I'll leak it!" which springs Squeenix's trap. That being said, how would those employees then readily know that he is leak bait? How are they so privy to that? Is it meant to throw the public off then? He'd then be awfully poor leak bait, not because it wouldn't succeed, but because it'd totally sour peoples' views on Square's involvement with Nintendo. It sends a message of, "We know you want him, but we don't care, so we're going to dangle your desires in front of you like a tasty steak before taking them away and leaving you with a salad." The salad isn't bad, but gosh darn it, we wanted that steak. It's honestly kinda cruel.

Then again, Square is very business-oriented and not fan-oriented. They don't really give a hoot. I don't know if I could see Nintendo being that way and using Geno as leak bait, but Square doing so isn't so out there. However, there is also the NoA Geno rumor floating around, so it's like... what, even higher supervisors at NoA have fallen for the leak bait? That can't be. The rumor must have spawned from something of actual substance, but what? Is it just a wild guess based on speculation from a higher-up? Who even knows?

All I know is, if Geno ends up being purely leak bait, then yikes. Honestly, even Erdrick being leak bait is yikes, especially since all signs seem to be pointing to him. That's being needlessly cruel to DQ's fans, too. Dang, Square, why are you like this?
This is part of why I find the "Geno is leakbait" theory so hard to believe. For it to be true, Square would have to recognize his popularity to see him as viable leakbait, then proceed to do nothing with that information but deliberately tease his fans. (Also, if people like Vergeben's source are so sure about Geno being leakbait, doesn't that make it kind of ****ty leakbait? I'm thinking there might be a bit of reverse psychology at play here, as in Square passing a smokescreen rumor down through the company saying Geno is leakbait and not to take him seriously when they really do have plans for him... :thinking: )

Last edited:

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
I honestly can't remember if it was this or Pokemon Red that I played first. It was probably SMRPG, because I would have said, "It's kinda like Pokemon!", and I would have played more than what I did.
I definitely asked my parents to rent it because of Mario, Peach and Bowser on the box, though.

Last edited:

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
I was only 3 when SMRPG came out, so my first proper JRPG was Tales of Symphonia.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
My first JRPG was Pokemon Sapphire if that counts. I was around 7 at the time, so you can imagine how much I struggled with what many call one of the more difficult games in the series. Beat it myself though and I was quite proud.

As far as RPGs that aren't Pokemon, I actually think it was EarthBound since most of the games I grew up with were platformers.

D

Deleted member

I admit I'm very impressed by the amount of words you manage to rgnaize about Geno's chances. Just I cannot say that I fully agree with the points. Here is my thought:

"In-Game Evidence"

I feel it's still abit tricky as long as SMRPG does relate to the current Mario characters or species from that timeline. It's actually abit farfetched to assume that plant piranha's inclusion is only for reference of SMRPG. Well if it's me I'd just replace plant piranha with Geno and release a slot for a more wanted character from other series.

"Square-Enix knows Geno is Popular "

In that case my answer is still that, Square is pretty much supposed to do a big game plan for Geno just like how Microsoft did for Banjo, glad you mention him here.

I completely agree that Square should not ignore Geno at all, but I would question whether giving Geno a Smash fighter slot is the only and correct way to make up for what they've done to him. If Geno lacks more necessary experience as a video game icon, then I believe that Square can start any game plan for him to make up for that.

"within Smash not even Nintendo is stupid enough"
I do get what you mean, but here is a small contradiction I think we should notice here. This is not enough.

The other option, as said, is to ask Square to start their own game plan for Geno, in that case this may give Geno a chance to become a legal game protagonist that has the same fame as Mario and DK, but the price is, sadly, SMRPG would not be noted in Geno's experience ever again.

"symbol of a time where Square and Nintendo"
What I concern the most is, they may still be in a good partnership today, but do they both care SMRPG? Just like you say they may possibly choose to advertise some other franchsies instead. The logic hole is still that, if they do notice Geno's popularity they'd already have done something for him outside Smash bros.

I think in a more general aspects, not restricted to a collaboration title or franchise, Such as, the fact Square releases exclusive game titles such as Octopath is a sign of their good partnership. They bond is not really resttricted within SMRPG, Fortune Street or Smash bros, so I think that does ensure that Geno would have the chance if Nintendo and Square do volunteer to make use of him to take care of the fanbase.
Just in general, I think Nintendo and Square owe loyal fans a good service of returing favorite characters of Mario RPGs, so it'd be a good favor to see Geno get big spotlights in any form.
For the first point I do not think Piranha Plant was added solely to make references to Super Mario RPG as that wouldn't be very smart, Piranha Plant was 100% added for the unique WTF factor but with alongside Piranha Plant came SMRPG References within the Classic mode Image (Being singing Piranha Plants which seems to be a reference to this Commercial) and Megasmilax which directly references a Species of Piranha Plant from SMRPG. So to reiterate I do not think nor do I agree with the thought of Piranha Plant being added solely to reference SMRPG BUT Piranha Plant brought some References to the game with him.

In regards to your second point I'm confused to what you're trying to say, what do you mean "do a big game plan"? Maybe their game plan is to add Geno to Smash which reinvigorates interest in the character and game leading to a new game we can't really say what their game plan is one way or another since neither of us Work with or for Square.

for the third point, I have really no idea what Nintendo may be thinking but from my experience with this Community people here are hoping that Smash will revive interest in Geno leading to a Remake/Sequel to SMRPG and I do think that's a fair assessment as Smash brought FE to America and revived Kid Icarus both things are things that could lead someone to think that's what could happen with other franchises like SMRPG or Banjo-Kazooie. Maybe it's not a true revival but it has the potential to bring a revival upon us.

for your fourth point maybe they realized he was popular but they didn't have a chance to do anything with him since his character is directly tied with the Mario Series which is a Nintendo property, not theirs. They didn't really do anything with their property for the Wii U besides DLC for Sm4sh so why do anything for a dying console and they likely didn't have any game ideas for the 3DS but this is a new generation on a new Console maybe they thought of an Idea for Geno and will use Smash as the Push they needed to bring him back into the Spotlight.

Sure they absolutely could decide to choose a more relevant and marketable franchise to add to Smash but we don't know what they're thinking maybe they have plans for Geno that involves him being added to Smash and if not maybe they're just adding Geno because of the Fans and Sakurai.

Last edited by a moderator:

HMpoweredMan

Smash Cadet
Dragon Warrior III actually was my first JRPG then Final Fantasy III (USA). I was maybe 7 or 8 years old.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Nope it was Pokemon but SMRPG is definitely the JRPG that stood out to me the most.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I...think so.

When I think of the old NES and SNES wer had hooked up in the basement when I was a little kid, I certainly don't recall owning any other JRPGs for either but Chrono trigger, Super Mario RPG, and Earthbound. I know for a fact I didn't play earthbound first. so either SMRPG or CT. Hmmm...

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice
Mario RPG was my first RPG.
Mario RPG was the first turn-based RPG I ever played. Pokémon Red was second… Square at the time was trying to popularize RPG through the Mario franchise w/ Legend of the Seven Stars, and according to my experience with the game… they succeeded! Here’s my confession, I’m not a turn-based RPG fan… but I totally love this game as a kid. I would get so emotional if I saw a remake or a true sequel.

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
Agreed, Porky is my second most wanted and I'd love to have both Geno and Porky in. Of course, as I've said to people many times, if Geno gets in, I could care less who else gets in after that.

D

Deleted member

My first RPG was Earthbound, my second was Mother 1, and Super Mario RPG was the third RPG I played, each of which I adore very much.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think my first RPG was Pokemon Fire Red.

My second was probably the original Pokemon Red...my next Pokemon RPG was Diamond.

There's also Super Paper Mario which could've been my first or second if it counts as an RPG.

Last edited:

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
Grew up on platformers myself (favorite is and always will be Super Mario World) though the first RPG I played was Pokemon Blue, though it was roughly the same time I played FF VI and VII.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom