• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
A region based on the U.K. is actually what I was hoping for. Cautiously optimistic about Scorbunny, but the Fire/Fighting possibility is there. Although I am a fan of all three starters to be honest. But good lord those names are pretty awful. Scorbunny is the worst starter name I think we've ever had. Like, it's not even a pun! It's just slapping the words "scorch" and "bunny" together and calling it a day. That's a big yikes.

Region looks cool, hopefully it's not too linear. Trains seem to be important, so I could see us getting on one early on and heading to the big city up north. Steampunk/XIX England is such a good look, honestly. Should be cool to see more city-building than compared to Alola's barren nature feel.

Also, if there isn't a Pokeworld version of the Chunnel that takes you to Kalos in the post game, what's the point to these games

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
A region based on the U.K. is actually what I was hoping for. Cautiously optimistic about Scorbunny, but the Fire/Fighting possibility is there. Although I am a fan of all three starters to be honest. But good lord those names are pretty awful. Scorbunny is the worst starter name I think we've ever had. Like, it's not even a pun! It's just slapping the words "scorch" and "bunny" together and calling it a day. That's a big yikes.

Region looks cool, hopefully it's not too linear. Trains seem to be important, so I could see us getting on one early on and heading to the big city up north. Steampunk/XIX England is such a good look, honestly. Should be cool to see more city-building than compared to Alola's barren nature feel.

Also, if there isn't a Pokeworld version of the Chunnel that takes you to Kalos in the post game, what's the point to these games
Actually, if the theory is correct that the starters are based off sports, it makes Scorbunny's name much better. Because if it focuses on football like many are suspecting, then Scorbunny could also mean "score bunny." You have to admit, that would make the name a bit more clever.

Edit: I am also rather convinced that Scorbunny will be fire/electric, specifically due to those patches it has on it's nose and feet.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I dont expect a national pokedex... But I want it so bad :( Hope they add 3d model for every pokemon in existence.
I actually do, and since the models for every Pokemon before gen 8 exist via UltraSun and UltraMoon, it's clear that we'll get the 3D models for every Pokemon. They're porting over those assets.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
I actually do, and since the models for every Pokemon before gen 8 exist via UltraSun and UltraMoon, it's clear that we'll get the 3D models for every Pokemon. They're porting over those assets.
I hope a little bit more then.
Actually, if the theory is correct that the starters are based off sports, it makes Scorbunny's name much better. Because if it focuses on football like many are suspecting, then Scorbunny could also mean "score bunny." You have to admit, that would make the name a bit more clever.

Edit: I am also rather convinced that Scorbunny will be fire/electric, specifically due to those patches it has on it's nose and feet.
So if the rabbit is Soccer does it mean The rest are cricket and water polo?

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Listen I know we already have a bunch of starters in Smash, no less fire type starters...

but he's just so cute.

But god damn his name was chosen at the very last second.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Listen I know we already have a bunch of starters in Smash, no less fire type starters...

but he's just so cute.

It has two meanings, so it's probably more thought out than that.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

but he's just so cute.

Non-starters beyond Pika/Pichu, Jiggly and promotional movie Pokémon are mostly toast when it comes to being picked anyway (and even then entire generations get skipped sometimes), so I'm ready for anything.

Last edited:

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
Do any of you guys have any Super Mario RPG merch? I was trying to find some sort of t-shirt to rep my favorite game but can't really find anything that I like.
I have the t shirt that was on the yetee when games done quick was speed running SMRPG. And my friend ordered me a Geno plush from the Ukraine but it's taking forever to come... :'\

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace

I like your idea on this. Scorbunny is the fire-type starter, which could also mean that "scorch" is merged in its name: Scorch as in burning something.
I would like Scorbunny to be a kicker, but that would make it... oh no, hopefully not a fighting-type... I can see Scorbunny (already staying as a fire-type) being an electric, dragon, steel, or fairy-type. Call me insane, but a flaming dragon bunny could work and sounds awesome. "THIS IS FLAMING DRAGON!... BUNNY!"

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I like your idea on this. Scorbunny is the fire-type starter, which could also mean that "scorch" is merged in its name: Scorch as in burning something.
I would like Scorbunny to be a kicker, but that would make it... oh no, hopefully not a fighting-type... I can see Scorbunny (already staying as a fire-type) being an electric, dragon, steel, or fairy-type. Call me insane, but a flaming dragon bunny could work and sounds awesome. "THIS IS FLAMING DRAGON!... BUNNY!"
I'm heavily leaning towards Scorbunny's evo being Fire/Electric due to the points outlined in Ovaltine Ovaltine 's post from earlier - electric tape, foot friction, constant energy, etc. (Also, from what I hear, its Japanese name is literally a portmanteau of "fire" and "spark", so...) Grookey I feel is gonna be Grass/Rock, due to having caveman-like elements in its design (mainly the bone-in-hair thing with the stick), it's literally banging on a rock in its introduction, and my personal headcanon is that it's gonna turn out to be a punk rock-style drummer when it evolves. (Get it?) Sobble, though, I have no clue about. Your guess is as good as mine on that front. I just hope it's not another Ghost-type, since I already picked Decidueye last gen. Water/Ice would be awesome, though. I'll pop off if it's that.

Last edited:

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Don't get me wrong, as long as the Pokémon is cool and unique, I wouldn't care about type as much. Infernape and Blaziken were cool, Emboar was not my favorite.

That's why I'm hoping for Fire/Fairy, Fire/Electric, or Fire/Ground. I could see Sobble becoming a really cool dragon boi, and Grookey could be Grass/Dark or something, I don't really know.

As a side note, I'm planning on going in completely dark with these games besides what's already been revealed. Anyone have advice? I'll need to know the release date obviously, but I want my experience to be as fresh as possible.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Don't get me wrong, as long as the Pokémon is cool and unique, I wouldn't care about type as much. Infernape and Blaziken were cool, Emboar was not my favorite.

That's why I'm hoping for Fire/Fairy, Fire/Electric, or Fire/Ground. I could see Sobble becoming a really cool dragon boi, and Grookey could be Grass/Dark or something, I don't really know.

As a side note, I'm planning on going in completely dark with these games besides what's already been revealed. Anyone have advice? I'll need to know the release date obviously, but I want my experience to be as fresh as possible.
Not to mention that apparently, Scorbunny's Japanese name is a double-pun on the words for 'fire' and 'spark', so that's even more credence to the fire/electric idea. I think it's really looking likely that Scorbunny's going in that direction, which is BUENO.

I have the t shirt that was on the yetee when games done quick was speed running SMRPG. And my friend ordered me a Geno plush from the Ukraine but it's taking forever to come... :'\
... Where did they order that plush, may I ask? I'd love to have a handmade Geno doll of my own!

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice

I just want some love for my boy Phanpy. Everyone can forget him, but I never will.
Omg. I. LOVE. PHANPY. TO. DEATH.

Phanpy might just be my favorite basic pokemon. Favorite overall pokemon goes to Houndoom.

Also, I really like the idea of Scorbunny being a soccer player if they are indeed going for sports themes. Although, I am not sure I would like a sports motif for Grookey's evolution. I guess a rugby ape might be pretty cool, but I'd be really worried about the design. We already got that with Passimian.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Not to mention that apparently, Scorbunny's Japanese name is a double-pun on the words for 'fire' and 'spark', so that's even more credence to the fire/electric idea. I think it's really looking likely that Scorbunny's going in that direction, which is BUENO.

... Where did they order that plush, may I ask? I'd love to have a handmade Geno doll of my own!
I’m really hoping for Fire/Electric for it even if I’m not choosing him because that’s such a cool typing. Imagine him having some unique move where he does a flaming bicycle kick on an electric orb or something. Also I think Grookey might end up being grass/dark. I’ve seen people speculate he could be cricket but might also be some sort of drummer as a reference to the UKs musical history. I’m hoping sopple will be water/dragon or something interesting.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's really neat that they're sticking with the Chinese zodiac for the fire starters. I haven't decided which one I want yet though. I usually wait to see what the fully evolved forms are like and take their types into consideration to help balance my team for end game. I'm weird like that though. I am leaning towards Scorbunny but Sobble is kind of interesting too with its camouflage trait. They all look great though!

Glad that gyms. random encounters and battling wild Pokemon came back. I haaaaaated Pokemon Let's Go pretty much only because they got rid of wild Pokemon battles. I never cared for Pokemon Go in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Also, no, Kurogane later admitted that he BS'd PP's run speed when other data miners like Mizumi called him out on it.
You're trolling and also insanely stupid. Pot Plant's run speed was 1.12 in 1.0.0 lmao get my name out of your filthy mouth

Edit: I flame you. Deserved though. Maybe try winning whatever stupid argument you're having here without resorting to character assassination of an unrelated third party.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I'm not interested in popcorn inducing drama. I just want to know why. Why has he so aggressively said that I lied about Piranha Plant's run speed? Who told him that Mizumi called me out on it (this didn't happen btw)? Does he have something against me? Is that why he felt the need to drag my reputation through the mud?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's really neat that they're sticking with the Chinese zodiac for the fire starters. I haven't decided which one I want yet though. I usually wait to see what the fully evolved forms are like and take their types into consideration to help balance my team for end game. I'm weird like that though. I am leaning towards Scorbunny but Sobble is kind of interesting too with its camouflage trait. They all look great though!

Glad that gyms. random encounters and battling wild Pokemon came back. I haaaaaated Pokemon Let's Go pretty much only because they got rid of wild Pokemon battles. I never cared for Pokemon Go in the first place.
One thing I hope for above all is that they have your PC trainers make any expressions that aren't just :) for the entire game.

Seriously, even :ultvillager: emotes more than Sun and Moon, so with the extra horsepower of the Switch there shouldn't be any excuse now.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
You're trolling and also insanely stupid. Pot Plant's run speed was 1.12 in 1.0.0 lmao get my name out of your filthy mouth

Edit: I flame you. Deserved though. Maybe try winning whatever stupid argument you're having here without resorting to character assassination of an unrelated third party.
Alright, I was wrong; sorry. It was said in one of the Discords I was in. Looked into it, couldn't find the original statement so I dropped it. Don't worry about the words of peons. I'm a nobody in the grand scheme of things so, trust me, your reputation is perfectly safe. At the end of the day, you'll still have your website and I'll still have my Popeye icon from Google images so no intellectual property will be foreclosed because of what transpired.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I just want some more smash news to speculate on. There is still basically nothing since Brave and Jack were removed outside of Joker's obvious stage being shown.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Alright, I was wrong; sorry. It was said in one of the Discords I was in. Looked into it, couldn't find the original statement so I dropped it. Don't worry about the words of peons. I'm a nobody in the grand scheme of things so, trust me, your reputation is perfectly safe. At the end of the day, you'll still have your website and I'll still have my Popeye icon from Google images so no intellectual property will be foreclosed because of what transpired.
I am sated.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I am sated.
Excellent. Now, while you are here, I want your literal expert insight on something. The argument that was being made before was that, even though stats of characters can change, there really wasn't any examples of a ton of stats changing significantly all at once. Pirahana Plant's run speed is an outlier. From what I saw, the stats of PP were almost identical from what they were when the game launched, with some minor changes. Since only a handful of people manged to get their hands on the prerelease data, like yourself, were there any other significant changes aside from run speed?

link2702

Smash Champion
If I ever get the dumbass idea to build my own computer ever again I hope someone beats me over the head with a baseball bat to knock some sense into me...

More on topic (current topic anyway) It’s about damn time we finally got a pkmn with a (mostly) behind the back view and ditching the top down view present since the gb.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Uhh, hooooo-wee.

So, you guys have any small headcanons for Geno? Like, ones that are so small and inconsequential that they're just... not much to anyone but probably yourself, hahaha. Here's a couple I have:

1) Geno loves star bits. They're probably his biggest weakness. Give him star bits or give him death.
2) When he sneezes, snores, or makes any kind of little involuntary sounds like that, he makes a very Luma-esque squeak. It's... gotten him teased quite a bit by his fellow party members, probably plain laughed at by Bowser. Peach thinks it's adorable. Geno thinks retreating into his cape forever is a Darn Fine Idea™.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Uhh, hooooo-wee.

So, you guys have any small headcanons for Geno? Like, ones that are so small and inconsequential that they're just... not much to anyone but probably yourself, hahaha. Here's a couple I have:

1) Geno loves star bits. They're probably his biggest weakness. Give him star bits or give him death.
2) When he sneezes, snores, or makes any kind of little involuntary sounds like that, he makes a very Luma-esque squeak. It's... gotten him teased quite a bit by his fellow party members, probably plain laughed at by Bowser. Peach thinks it's adorable. Geno thinks retreating into his cape forever is a Darn Fine Idea™.
Geno is Mario and Luigi’s true father.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Uhh, hooooo-wee.

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed here, but Rosalina is the higher authority Geno speaks of when meeting Mario.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure this has been discussed here, but Rosalina is the higher authority Geno speaks of when meeting Mario.
This right here is headcanon no. 1. Also Geno may or may not have some form of romantic interest in her, oh god put me out of my misery I'm a filthy shipper.

I also like the thought of him just being an overall rebellious character.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
This right here is headcanon no. 1. Also Geno may or may not have some form of romantic interest in her, oh god put me out of my misery I'm a filthy shipper.

I feel ya on the filthy shipper bit, just not as a romantic thing. I love the idea of him yearning to be like a son to her myself and being aromantic. He's a wholesome boy with wholesome desires.

After all, star children aren't born to look for mothers, even though Lumas are. He probably wouldn't be able to help thinking that oh, if only he were a Luma...

TheBeastHimself

Just a thought, it's a little strange that Geno paused when he says "I serve... a higher authority" like he was about to say something but then stopped himself from doing so. This may be simply because the name of the higher authority is confidential, but what if he or Rosalina somehow knew that Mario would one day meet her in Super Mario Galaxy so they decided to keep the secret and not alter the timeline. Oooh we're treading some real sci-fi **** now.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Just a thought, it's a little strange that Geno paused when he says "I serve... a higher authority" like he was about to say something but then stopped himself from doing so. This may be simply because the name of the higher authority is confidential, but what if he or Rosalina somehow knew that Mario would one day meet her in Super Mario Galaxy so they decided to keep the secret and not alter the timeline. Oooh we're treading some real sci-fi **** now.
I never thought of it like that. Whether it's Rosalina or the star spirits of Star Haven or even a different entity, it's fascinating that he hesitates a little.

Hmmmmm.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Uhh, hooooo-wee.

My headcanon is that Geno is in Smash but nobody has unlocked him yet.

TheBeastHimself

I never thought of it like that. Whether it's Rosalina or the star spirits of Star Haven or even a different entity, it's fascinating that he hesitates a little.

Hmmmmm.
Right? I never really noticed it until now. Geno is rather vague whenever he talks about the Star Road and stuff like that, and doesn't really go into detail outside of basic information. I wonder why he's so secretive about the whole thing, and this actually gives me Season 1 Garnet vibes lmao. Once again, it would all just be confidential information that Earthlings aren't supposed to know about, but if it all was, Geno wouldn't have told Mario that the Star Road needs to be repaired so wishes can be made again. It's really odd minor details but something I definitely want explored in a sequel.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Right? I never really noticed it until now. Geno is rather vague whenever he talks about the Star Road and stuff like that, and doesn't really go into detail outside of basic information. I wonder why he's so secretive about the whole thing, and this actually gives me Season 1 Garnet vibes lmao. Once again, it would all just be confidential information that Earthlings aren't supposed to know about, but if it all was, Geno wouldn't have told Mario that the Star Road needs to be repaired so wishes can be made again. It's really odd minor details but something I definitely want explored in a sequel.
I've noticed that Geno has a couple of signs of keeping things firmly to himself, and that does resonate with me now that you brought up his higher authority. At the end of the game, before entering Smithy's factory, he is very hesitant and somber about leaving. However, he doesn't vocalize it too much and tries to trudge on anyway.

In my headcanon, he's reluctant about anyone shouldering burdens that should be his and his alone. His sadness over leaving his new friends behind is something he doesn't want them to know in full. He doesn't want them to suffer for him when he's doing his job, a duty that is obviously very important to him. It also makes me think that he's so duty-driven that it might even be unhealthy. Why just leave forever and never see his friends again? How busy is it up there? It surely can't be so much so that he can't see his friends again. He may actually be so one-track-minded that it's a detriment to his health, and while he was fine up until he had to fix Star Road with Mario and company, meeting them and making buddies signaled a shift in him.

But why? Why be so dedicated to the point that he fears spending even moments away from his home? Is he afraid of failing everyone, whether it's his higher-ups or the people whose wishes are depending on him... or both?

Man, all of this stuff could have been such interesting stuff for them to explore. He may not seem like much at first glance, but god, he's filled to the brim with untouched potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom