• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

EDIT: credit to ForesakenM for starting up the Erdrick not being a household name thing.
Unfortunately, this is the case in the west. I don't think Erdrick would be a stain on Smash history, but it is true that there are much more requested franchises and characters, at least over here in 'Murica. I think with sources like Gamexplain,Smash YouTubers like Alpharad, and social media memes, Erdrick is going to gain a following after the initial reaction as long as he plays well and uniquely. Add how there is planned Dragon Quest ports for the Switch and I think there will be more general exposure for the franchise throughout the year. A bit divisive, but nothing that crosses the line. Hopefully Smash makes Dragon Quest more of a recognizable series over here. All I can really ask for at this point.

You know, besides asking for Dragon Quest.

Or Geno. Please be one or the other.

Last edited by a moderator:

GreyJinjo

Smash Cadet
most of the reason i want geno is because he looks cool and he’s popular. i feel like some people are more afraid to say that than they need to be lol

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Honestly, the greatest thing to probably come out of the remakes are the higher quality soundtracks. DS and Gameboy Advance quality is a thing of the past now.
I agree, especially the new boss themes that came with Dark Fawful and the Dark Star, but I think Dark Fawful's theme should've been sped up more. I do like how the new castle looks in the remake, Peach's Castle, because it actually looks like it was taken over by Fawful and gives me those old vibes from Partners in Time where the Shroobs take over the castle and made it all shroobified and purple. I do prefer the old "Tough Guy Alert!", but the rest of the soundtracks are great and are either equal or above the original soundtracks.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I honestly don't think we've had a HOUSEHOLD name enter Smash since Pac Man.

Household names imply everyone in a house will know them, including parents, people who don't play games, etc.

D

Deleted member

Household names imply everyone in a house will know them, including parents, people who don't play games, etc.
Well everyone in my house knows who I am, so I am a household name and will be DLC

D

Deleted member

most of the reason i want geno is because he looks cool and he’s popular. i feel like some people are more afraid to say that than they need to be lol
Pretty much my number 1 reason for being on the Geno train. You nailed it.
Number 2 is sort of more complicated. I did grow up around Geno's design when browsing the internet, so it's kind of weird. His design caught my eye even though I didn't fully understand who or what it was. I did make an OC based off of his design though when I was into making webcomics. If I didn't make this terrible ripoff OC of Geno in 2012, I'd be like, "The **** is Geno?" in 2018.

2012 Original the Character. His name was ****ing Gato. He will kill you for more points.

2018 Original the Character. Gato for Smash.

So Geno would be the closest thing to Mr. Gato over here being in Smash Bros, especially if he gets a metal gray alt color.

Last edited by a moderator:

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041

Ah, you’re right. Maybe household name was poor wording on my part. I’m really trying to dodge some particular buzzwords, so maybe recognizable?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Isn't Geno's doll body only a few years old.
Well, Geno himself is likely hundreds of years old, so uh...

Dang, Zack. You're a cougar.

ETA: Or... reverse cougar... Grandpa chaser? What is the word for it? Listen. It's been a rough week.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I am an insider and I have come to tell you that Geno's foot is a playable character in Smash Ultimate

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Well, Geno himself is likely hundreds of years old, so uh...

Dang, Zack. You're a cougar.

ETA: Or... reverse cougar... Grandpa chaser? What is the word for it? Listen. It's been a rough week.
The scientific term is Gerontophilia. Also don’t click on the image search for Gerontophilia.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I am an insider and I have come to tell you that Geno's foot is a playable character in Smash Ultimate
Can confirm. My source within Nintendo just sent me this image:
genofoot.PNG
He's in, boyos. We may not have all of him yet, but we at least got his foot in the door. :troll:

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
Maybe its the grape juice kicking in, but catching up on this thread is always a hoot. I love yu.

I love how you all are so kind toone another, even when you write essaysover video game characters and argue over Dragons Quest and Geno. But I love hate how hard these blocks of texts are to read when tippsy.

It's like wen I was 5, and mom told me Mario wasn't real. Then when I was 15, and some jerk told me Phoenix was a lame.

You ever here that song All the Stars by Erdrick Lamar and SZA? I think the chorus ties to Geno. "Maybe the night and my dreams might letme know, all the stars are closer". Is likey what I feel about a Geno direct. I know that song is about Black panther, but idc! It's about Geno now!

Anyway, back to playing Tales of Vespria, a game without Geno. Yuri has a voice like Geno, tho.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
We need our homeboy Terry to return from Dragon Warrior Monster on GB!

View attachment 191679

On a more serious note, to respond to everyone who REALLY thinks that DQ is a household name in the US, about 211 million play video games in the US.

Now, out of the hundreds of millions of gamers in the US, DQXI sold double the recently best-selling DQ US release which was DQIX on the DS, and that game sold about 1.02 mil, so DQXI sold roughly 2 million in the US. Not bad, but that pales in comparison to how many gamers the US supposedly has. However, we only need concern ourselves with Smash Ultimate's playerbase and the potential crossover.

Now in the first 11 days of Ultimate's release in the US, it sold 3 million. Flat out at launch, it has more players than DQXI does, meaning there is already a sizable gap to determine that Ultimate has players that either do not know of DQ or do not care about/for DQ. Now to get more of an exact number...well...I'm not finding a number for only the US, but...

"By the end of 2018, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate had shipped over 12.08 million copies worldwide. Ultimate became Nintendo's fastest-selling game of all time, surpassing New Super Mario Bros. Wii which had sold 10 million within eight weeks."

First off, can we acknowledge the history that has been made here. Like Jesus ****ing Christ this game is breaking Nintendo records across the board and it started off doing so in less than a month. Right now the likelihood that it will outsell Brawl is very high (if it hasn't already), which sold the most of any Smash game in the franchise. Hot damn, good **** Nintendo and Nintendo Fans.

Now, back on topic, we can't split fairly between US and outside, but seeing as Smash's biggest audience is in the US I'm sure we can dedicate the majority of the sales to the mouth-frothing Americans we've seen and been since March of 2018. Let's pick a number and say...eight. Let's say 8 million sales are just the US alone (probably higher, but eh). That would mean that, if you were to have PERFECT crossover, only a fourth of Smash players have also played DQXI...and we know that perfect crossover isn't the case. Keep in mind, this is with likely taking a smaller number of US sales than what the number actually is and assuming every DQXI player also plays Smash Ultimate, so you see why your claims of DQ being big in the West just doesn't add up

There is a reason why many of us just learned about Erdrick during speculation: the franchise as a whole is way less popular here, and that is WITH the most popular game in the franchise in the West, LET ALONE DQ3 where Erdrick is from. When you add up the lack of awareness, the overwhelming requests for other characters, and how easily it is to see Erdrick's inclusion in a negative light...it's obvious how his inclusion would not go over well in the States overall.

You can claim whatever you want about his inclusion and the good it can do, but what Erdrick offers vs what he takes away in the eyes of Smash fans does not really favor him over just about any other character, and I say that as someone who plans on getting all the DLC someday.
Not buying something =/= not knowing something.
Of course it is.

Where do you think Piranha Plant got them feet?

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Not buying something =/= not knowing something.
Right, but it shows that there is less interest in DQ, which results the same: people who never asked for DQ in Smash at all.

Also I'd argue less people know of DQ than you might think, but that isn't relevant to this argument. Not knowing about DQ = the same results as those who know but clearly don't care due to DQXI's sales. That with the amount of people playing Ultimate and the possible crossover, it's easy to see why the amount of US request for Erdrick is so low when the request for DQ in Smash in general int he US is so low. Hell, Japan would rather have Sora or Banjo, and they eat up DQ and Erdrick, but Slime was not in the top ten and Erdrick didn't even come up.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
My insiders told me that in addition to Geno's foot, they will be releasing a new version of Mario RPG. But they liked the retro vibe of the game and decided to release the new game on Atari.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I’d like to point out the fact that Persona 5 has only sold about 2 million copies in the US as well, while Dragon Quest has done comparably well over the years with a few million sellers and has the more important history, especially to again, Japan where as of right now every single one of our third parties has originated from and Dragon Quest is the biggest NES era franchise not currently represented in Smash.

Why is it so hard to consider that Dragon Quest would be a largely Japanese oriented pick with a decent fan base abroad? Not everything has to be specifically for us (We’ve had reverse situations like Ridley and Little Mac) and I’ve talked about how Smash characters will sell regardless of who it is. And again, it’s got comparable if not better numbers than Persona overall in the States, I don’t see how that suddenly becomes a huge problem.

I just see the numbers play against DQ as very misguided at best. I just don’t see enough evidence to see it as a valid counterpoint to the inclusion of a DQ character. Geno’s chances lie somewhat out of the realm of Dragon Quest anyway as they would be picked for entirely different reasons...

Also, if I see one more person try to conflate SNES Classic sales with Super Mario RPG sales seriously speaking...just that’s not how any of this works.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Also, if I see one more person try to conflate SNES Classic sales with Super Mario RPG sales seriously speaking...just that’s not how any of this works.
Agreed. Nobody bought the SNES classic for Mario RPG alone. If there are people out there that did then it's a very minuscule amount. I work at an EB Games (essentially a GameStop in Canada) and when people bought the unit, they bought it because the idea of a collection of SNES games attracted their attention or if they bought it for one game and one game alone, it was mostly casuals seeking a nostalgia trip for Super Mario World. Even then though, the latter was an uncommon thing.

If we keep bringing up SNES classic sales when discussing sales of SMRPG, it just looks like we're desperately grasping at straws. Yes, the SNES classic is a fantastic device to introduce people to the game but like EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman said: that's not how it works.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If I may add my two cents on the topic of SE holding things back, I have found out something I was suspecting for some time:

The 3DS e-shop doesn't have any Final Fantasy games except for the retail 3DS installments. Seriously, not even Final Fantasy IV, the one entry in the series you used to play on just about any hardware that could afford to support it. The SNES Mini doesn't have it either (which has VI, instead).

What's even weirder is that all the older FF installments that did get on the Wii U's e-shop were distributed only in Japan, EXCEPT for Tactics Advance.

It's extremely odd that their own spearhead franchise's Nintendo installments aren't even widely available for Nintendo users worldwide anymore, and yet they jumped at the chance to put the major PSX installments on the Switch.

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Reading things about numbers and relevancy and stuff got me wanting to join in on this thread again. So I put together some stuff on why Geno has somehow become a household name against all odds.

Another thing is popularity. I know, I know, Smash isn’t a popularity or a relevancy contest. People freaked out when Ice Climbers came back and they’ve had one game that sold decently well, so they’re not the most popular in the current game industry. However, they were requested heavily by fans, which in turn made them more popular in general.

So, since a lot of people have requested Geno, he’s like the first name you’ll think of when you hear someone say “highly requested smash characters”. Geno’s a phenomenon. He’s been kept alive in the minds and hearts of many mostly through Smash bros, and I think that’s incredible.
Well my main opinions were posted in #28,804, so most of them have replied the points here. I just make simplified reply here:

> Super Mario RPG sold in total 2.14 million copies worldwide

While that is a remarkable thing, from what we know after that, Nintendo and Square decides to not keeping the co-working on more RPGs. And unfortunately after Geno's licenses goes to Square, he is never used again. Just in a commercial aspect, a successful title and character should make big influence in following games as well. Just like Super Mario Glalaxy was a huge success, we can still see its refrence and the popular heroine Rosalina in recent games.
SMRPG was a classic, but lacks important influence on following Mario games, which is why it is not considered significant in general aspects

> Consumers are likely to remember the peculiar one off characters from Mario RPG since they are so different from what main series Mario is.

That is rather the problem here: Mario franchise is currently over-represented, no matter it's Geno, Toad or even Peachette, Despite plant piranha's contriversial inclusion, Nintendo pretty much is not obliged to add any more Mario fighter in a short while, so we cannot blame NIntendo if they eventually decides not to add any more Mario fighter in a short while. In a different saying Geno actually has to compete with other Mario characters (if not other Square characters) in a given very scarce chance to be represented.

As my original post mentioned, I actually agree with you that it would be good to add RPG elements to the Mario franchise representation. But, this idea should be excuted in Mario's own games first. The problem that Nintendo only focus on Mario's core games, Super Mario bros series, already exists in the Mario franchise in the first place, Smash bros is just an extention of such phenomenon. To me, it's more about when NIntendo can really listen and give Geno fans something valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom