• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

The character who would make me happiest if Geno isn't in is Ninten.

But, even then, I'd still be really sad that Geno isn't in lol. There isn't any character I would replace him with

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Mega Man feels like an absolute chore to play. Pac-Man on the other hand I love him to death.
I find megaman a lot more fun in ultimate than before. Still a really weird playstyle to get used to.
I dont use those characters much still tho, but that's just because im trying to focus on those i like the most.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
I hope they don't cancel the Mario RPG series simply because they expected a remake on a dying system to do well.
"I guess the fans don't care about Mario RPGs anymore"

Hey wow, another dream, I’m disappointed it wasn’t real :(

Nintendo Direct is about to end, its a reveal for the newest Mario Tennis game and its an animated short for Geno but I guess it changed his origin a bit because he was a plush doll at a mall and came to life and he looked kinda like Pinocchio in the body but still had his face and was wearing a red cone as a hat

For some reason he’s outside of the mall and he’s communicating with a Mickey Mouse plush and it then cuts to gameplay, but he isn’t even there at all

Because apparently the model for him wasn’t complete yet, and they tell us that Sakurai then chose to make it himself for them, so we would be able to see it in the future

Thus we all started to speculate that he would get in as DLC if Sakurai wanted to reuse the model
Y'know, before the November Direct I had a dream about Geno's Smash reveal. His trailer was literally just a picture of his SMRPG render slowly fading in with a screaming crowd in the background.

D

Deleted member

For me, Megaman isn't ridiculously hard to play. I think he's kinda fun.

About the direct, I do think brave will he revealed there.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I have a theory that every time someone leaks the direct it gets pushed back a week just to mess with us.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
what if erdrick is just one big conspiracy meant to throw everyone off

57bd81eea02a1eba6b392729e9036d8a_400x400.jpeg
dragon_quest_3.0.jpg

Last edited:

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman

Yeah, I find MM to be somewhat easier to play, at least in Ultimate imo. I have issues with Pac-Man, but I think that is because I don't know how to play him.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I really hope the leakers get some concrete stuff on the direct soon, so I can just know already and be done with this rollercoaster.
The rollercoaster isn't stopping until February of 2020 or beyond.

Well here's where things get interesting.

Historically before E3, only one Nintendo direct happens. The only way we would get a DLC announcement before E3 would have to be this direct or a Smash direct. Given my expectations over how they're handling DLC announcements being separated by about three months, this seems like the most likely time to get a DLC announcement. I imagine if Erdrick was happening, they would do it now since his anniversary happened about a day or two ago. Again, this is a Nintendo Direct. There's never not a newcomer announcement unless we're waiting for a new game. If we get no info, then we can expect a Smash Bros direct, which might be even better than a Nintendo Direct having a reveal.
I don't expect to see another Smash Direct until E3, November, or December.

I'm gonna be honest; If Geno doesn't get in, Banjo could nearly fill in the Geno shaped hole for me. I'm just praying one gets in. Just one of them would make the pass worth it.
For me if Goemon, Banjo & Kazooie, Dixie Kong, Porky, Geno, Shantae, or Elma make it in the Season Pass, I'll be good until the next game. I just need one of them to call it a day.

I have a theory that every time someone leaks the direct it gets pushed back a week just to mess with us.
Don't we all have that theory in our minds? Lol!

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

One just needs to remember that Mega Man thinks he's in one of his games, is all.

The rollercoaster isn't stopping until February of 2020 or beyond.
I'm expecting beyond, so long as enough fans actually demand it.

tenor.gif

D

Deleted member

"Y'know, before the November Direct I had a dream about Geno's Smash reveal. His trailer was literally just a picture of his SMRPG render slowly fading in with a screaming crowd in the background.
I've had too many dreams where fighters I've been wanting gets revealed or leaked. Custom Robo and Erdrick being the one's I remember most vividly because I felt the (suppressed) emotions in the real world. They were great. Then I woke up. ****.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I've had too many dreams where fighters I've been wanting gets revealed or leaked. Custom Robo and Erdrick being the one's I remember most vividly because I felt the (suppressed) emotions in the real world. They were great. Then I woke up. ****.
You guys are lucky, I'm not imaginative enough since my dream was weird, boring and revealed nothing at all except fighting a big wind-up Wario toy.

D

Deleted member

You guys are lucky, I'm not imaginative enough since my dream was weird, boring and revealed nothing at all except fighting a big wind-up Wario toy.
On the topic of dreams, I respect no dreamer unless they can get shot in the head and shrug it off.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
All except for one, one that will bring justice down on the world of Super Smash Brothers.

OBJECTION!
YOUR HONOR! I have evidence that piranha plant did indeed stole geno´s invitation!
https://www.instagram.com/p/Btt1eWoH4DS/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
As you can see, there is no way that piranha plant DIDNT steal that invitation! *Intense music plays*
With that being said, I think we all know who's coming for DLC! He's a "criminal", a "menace to the entire city", the man who stole J. Jonah Jameson's "suit", the man who stole that guy's PIZZAS! It's... IT'S!

D

Deleted member

With that being said, I think we all know who's coming for DLC! He's a "criminal", a "menace to the entire city", the man who stole J. Jonah Jameson's "suit", the man who stole that guy's PIZZAS! It's... IT'S!
*SPIDERMAN PIZZA THEME PLAYS*

D

Deleted member

So I would actually like Spiderman only because I grew up with Spiderman on the N64. Not to say I want him over other people, but I wouldn't mind Spiderman by himself. I just need Monster Ock to cause nightmares and I'm good.

That's the face of a monster who knows it can one shot you.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._one_of_the_worst-selling_mario_games_to_date

Ooof...

If Fawful fans want him to stand a chance, support has to start now.
Oh yeah, Happy 10th Anniversary to Bowser's Inside Story.

Back to the topic, yeah, I knew this would happen. The Superstar Saga remake didn't do too well either, and they thought Bowser's Inside Story could capture it better because of the original game's sales, but a lot of the old DS players who got Bowser's Inside Story don't game anymore or don't have a 3DS. I think many would've preferred the remake being on the Switch instead of the 3DS because the 3DS is old and dying, and the Switch is literally Nintendo's most mainstream console to date. I'm fine without having a Partners in Time remake, despite me liking it better than Bowser's Inside Story, but I think Nintendo should focus on putting their Mario RPG titles on the Switch instead of the handhelds. The Switch is a mix between a home console and a handheld console, so the Mario & Luigi RPG games will still keep its original spirit if you play it in handheld mode. I'm also 100% sure that the Bowser's Inside Story remake would've been much better if it was on the Switch. All I have to say for Nintendo is to either get the full rights to Super Mario RPG and give them to AlphaDream, or move the Mario & Luigi RPG games to the Switch.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Back to the topic, yeah, I knew this would happen. The Superstar Saga remake didn't do too well either, and they thought Bowser's Inside Story could capture it better because of the original game's sales, but a lot of the old DS players who got Bowser's Inside Story don't game anymore or don't have a 3DS. I think many would've preferred the remake being on the Switch instead of the 3DS because the 3DS is old and dying, and the Switch is literally Nintendo's most mainstream console to date. I'm fine without having a Partners in Time remake, despite me liking it better than Bowser's Inside Story, but I think Nintendo should focus on putting their Mario RPG titles on the Switch instead of the handhelds. The Switch is a mix between a home console and a handheld console, so the Mario & Luigi RPG games will still keep its original spirit if you play it in handheld mode. I'm also 100% sure that the Bowser's Inside Story remake would've been much better if it was on the Switch. All I have to say for Nintendo is to either get the full rights to Super Mario RPG and give them to AlphaDream, or move the Mario & Luigi RPG games to the Switch.
This entire situation gives me flashbacks to the NES days, which played out similarly once the SNES came along. Only this time, it's much faster.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, the greatest thing to probably come out of the remakes are the higher quality soundtracks. DS and Gameboy Advance quality is a thing of the past now.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I have a hunch we will get something to be proud of this week.

*Stay tuned*

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Honestly, the greatest thing to probably come out of the remakes are the higher quality soundtracks. DS and Gameboy Advance quality is a thing of the past now.
I'm not happy with the way the BIS remake came out because - A) it came before a PiT remake, and I really preferred it to be remade first, and B) it, of course, had to be released on the 3DS.

I confirmed myself that I would buy it, but I thought it would be released on the Switch at the time.

Also, I had a fun thought some time ago that Geno would drop in during the final battle and Geno blast Dark Bowser lol.

It was never likely to happen anyways but, still, it was a fun thought

Not just that, but Bowser’s inside story is a remake of a game that is literally playable on a 3ds. If you have a friend with the DS version, just borrow his copy, play it on your 3ds (because he is done with it by now) and don’t buy a new game.
Yeah... like, seriously, I don't know what Nintendy was expecting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So I would actually like Spiderman only because I grew up with Spiderman on the N64. Not to say I want him over other people, but I wouldn't mind Spiderman by himself. I just need Monster Ock to cause nightmares and I'm good.

That's the face of a monster who knows it can one shot you.
I played Maximum Carnage myself, that game was criminally underrated, considering who published it.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Mega Man feels like an absolute chore to play. Pac-Man on the other hand I love him to death.
That's funny because I've switched mains in SSBU from Mewtwo to Megaman just because his playstyle feels so naturally to me and I just do way better with him. I think it's this:
One just needs to remember that Mega Man thinks he's in one of his games, is all.
I grew up playing MMX and MM Classic and he really does move so similarly to those games that it was an easy transition for me. I think Pac-Man seems fun but I just haven't taken the time to really explore him yet.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
If we are getting a DQ character I would’ve really preferred it be some sort of monster summoner or tamer or something. As a kid the first time I saw anything about DQ was in a video game magazine with a walkthrough of Dragon Warrior Monsters for gameboy and I was super interested in all the cool Toriyama monster designs. And for a while I had no clue Dragon Quest proper was even a thing. And even after I did I thought the monsters and the cool vocations/classes were the most interesting parts. I think that’s why Erdrick is such a letdown for me. It’s not even him not being Geno but more that as far as the series goes a standard swordfighter (if he is that) is the most vanilla route they could have gone with imo.

We need our homeboy Terry to return from Dragon Warrior Monster on GB!

1549930168257.jpeg

On a more serious note, to respond to everyone who REALLY thinks that DQ is a household name in the US, about 211 million play video games in the US.

Now, out of the hundreds of millions of gamers in the US, DQXI sold double the recently best-selling DQ US release which was DQIX on the DS, and that game sold about 1.02 mil, so DQXI sold roughly 2 million in the US. Not bad, but that pales in comparison to how many gamers the US supposedly has. However, we only need concern ourselves with Smash Ultimate's playerbase and the potential crossover.

Now in the first 11 days of Ultimate's release in the US, it sold 3 million. Flat out at launch, it has more players than DQXI does, meaning there is already a sizable gap to determine that Ultimate has players that either do not know of DQ or do not care about/for DQ. Now to get more of an exact number...well...I'm not finding a number for only the US, but...

"By the end of 2018, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate had shipped over 12.08 million copies worldwide. Ultimate became Nintendo's fastest-selling game of all time, surpassing New Super Mario Bros. Wii which had sold 10 million within eight weeks."

First off, can we acknowledge the history that has been made here. Like Jesus ****ing Christ this game is breaking Nintendo records across the board and it started off doing so in less than a month. Right now the likelihood that it will outsell Brawl is very high (if it hasn't already), which sold the most of any Smash game in the franchise. Hot damn, good **** Nintendo and Nintendo Fans.

Now, back on topic, we can't split fairly between US and outside, but seeing as Smash's biggest audience is in the US I'm sure we can dedicate the majority of the sales to the mouth-frothing Americans we've seen and been since March of 2018. Let's pick a number and say...eight. Let's say 8 million sales are just the US alone (probably higher, but eh). That would mean that, if you were to have PERFECT crossover, only a fourth of Smash players have also played DQXI...and we know that perfect crossover isn't the case. Keep in mind, this is with likely taking a smaller number of US sales than what the number actually is and assuming every DQXI player also plays Smash Ultimate, so you see why your claims of DQ being big in the West just doesn't add up

There is a reason why many of us just learned about Erdrick during speculation: the franchise as a whole is way less popular here, and that is WITH the most popular game in the franchise in the West, LET ALONE DQ3 where Erdrick is from. When you add up the lack of awareness, the overwhelming requests for other characters, and how easily it is to see Erdrick's inclusion in a negative light...it's obvious how his inclusion would not go over well in the States overall.

You can claim whatever you want about his inclusion and the good it can do, but what Erdrick offers vs what he takes away in the eyes of Smash fans does not really favor him over just about any other character, and I say that as someone who plans on getting all the DLC someday.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
We need our homeboy Terry to return from Dragon Warrior Monster on GB!

View attachment 191679

On a more serious note, to respond to everyone who REALLY thinks that DQ is a household name in the US, about 211 million play video games in the US.

Now, out of the hundreds of millions of gamers in the US, DQXI sold double the recently best-selling DQ US release which was DQIX on the DS, and that game sold about 1.02 mil, so DQXI sold roughly 2 million in the US. Not bad, but that pales in comparison to how many gamers the US supposedly has. However, we only need concern ourselves with Smash Ultimate's playerbase and the potential crossover.

Now in the first 11 days of Ultimate's release in the US, it sold 3 million. Flat out at launch, it has more players than DQXI does, meaning there is already a sizable gap to determine that Ultimate has players that either do not know of DQ or do not care about/for DQ. Now to get more of an exact number...well...I'm not finding a number for only the US, but...

"By the end of 2018, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate had shipped over 12.08 million copies worldwide. Ultimate became Nintendo's fastest-selling game of all time, surpassing New Super Mario Bros. Wii which had sold 10 million within eight weeks."

First off, can we acknowledge the history that has been made here. Like Jesus ****ing Christ this game is breaking Nintendo records across the board and it started off doing so in less than a month. Right now the likelihood that it will outsell Brawl is very high (if it hasn't already), which sold the most of any Smash game in the franchise. Hot damn, good **** Nintendo and Nintendo Fans.

Now, back on topic, we can't split fairly between US and outside, but seeing as Smash's biggest audience is in the US I'm sure we can dedicate the majority of the sales to the mouth-frothing Americans we've seen and been since March of 2018. Let's pick a number and say...eight. Let's say 8 million sales are just the US alone (probably higher, but eh). That would mean that, if you were to have PERFECT crossover, only a fourth of Smash players have also played DQXI...and we know that perfect crossover isn't the case. Keep in mind, this is with likely taking a smaller number of US sales than what the number actually is and assuming every DQXI player also plays Smash Ultimate, so you see why your claims of DQ being big in the West just doesn't add up

There is a reason why many of us just learned about Erdrick during speculation: the franchise as a whole is way less popular here, and that is WITH the most popular game in the franchise in the West, LET ALONE DQ3 where Erdrick is from. When you add up the lack of awareness, the overwhelming requests for other characters, and how easily it is to see Erdrick's inclusion in a negative light...it's obvious how his inclusion would not go over well in the States overall.

You can claim whatever you want about his inclusion and the good it can do, but what Erdrick offers vs what he takes away in the eyes of Smash fans does not really favor him over just about any other character, and I say that as someone who plans on getting all the DLC someday.
What about Europe? They have slightly more awareness since they get all the manga, and other odds and ends like the recent art book and everything related to Dai (at least in France).

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
I have a hunch we will get something to be proud of this week.

*Stay tuned*
Are you actually implying that there is something you know that most of the public doesn't know? I really hope you're not just yanking our incredibly tight square enix chains, I don't know if I can possibly be let down more than I already am.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Are you actually implying that there is something you know that most of the public doesn't know? I really hope you're not just yanking our incredibly tight square enix chains, I don't know if I can possibly be let down more than I already am.
I think he just has a feeling.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure SSGuy doesn't know anything more than we do. Then again, more and more people are coming out as people with inside info...

Time to add to the top 10 anime twists of 2019 again.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Reading things about numbers and relevancy and stuff got me wanting to join in on this thread again. So I put together some stuff on why Geno has somehow become a household name against all odds.

I’ll start with the easy one. Super Mario RPG sold in total 2.14 million copies worldwide. Pretty good, around the same amount as DQXI’s sales in the west. But this total doesn’t take into account virtual console and SNES classic sales, and not to mention it was the most rented game in America for 14 weeks straight around the time of it’s release. There’s something there to be said in numbers.

Another thing is popularity. I know, I know, Smash isn’t a popularity or a relevancy contest. People freaked out when Ice Climbers came back and they’ve had one game that sold decently well, so they’re not the most popular in the current game industry. However, they were requested heavily by fans, which in turn made them more popular in general.

So, since a lot of people have requested Geno, he’s like the first name you’ll think of when you hear someone say “highly requested smash characters”. Geno’s a phenomenon. He’s been kept alive in the minds and hearts of many mostly through Smash bros, and I think that’s incredible.

Finally, the series he comes from actually helps him. It’s interesting how having the “Mario series” name attached to your character can make them way more popular. It’s like some sort of prestiege.

Geno being from a Mario game means he is more recognizable, since Mario is a recognizable brand. Consumers are likely to remember the peculiar one off characters from Mario RPG since they are so different from what main series Mario is. These characters are able to leave a lasting impression because they not only go against Mario norms, but also general RPG norms.

Anyways, that’s my rambling. Feel free to read it or completly ignore it, I promise it doesn’t hurt my feelings :^)

EDIT: credit to ForesakenM for starting up the Erdrick not being a household name thing, it’s amazing and much better than this caca.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm pretty sure SSGuy doesn't know anything more than we do. Then again, more and more people are coming out as people with inside info...

Time to add to the top 10 anime twists of 2019 again.
I think he just has a feeling.
Now THAT is a sign that a Direct is needed so that most people here can chill. Paranoia is going off the scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom