• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I definitely believe I've seen Reggie go on record to say Joker stole the invitation, but I also don't think it means anything. If anything, it's probably a great joke they can use to mess with us. Nintendo loves to troll.

That being said, uh... can we get some tempers simmering down in here? It's feelin' kinda spicy. Let's look on the bright side: even if Erdrick is highly likely, we still don't know the other three DLC slots. Who knows what kind of exciting stuff will be there? Who knows what kind of surprises we might get?

D

Deleted member

I definitely believe I've seen Reggie go on record to say Joker stole the invitation, but I also don't think it means anything. If anything, it's probably a great joke they can use to mess with us. Nintendo loves to troll.

That being said, uh... can we get some tempers simmering down in here? It's feelin' kinda spicy. Let's look on the bright side: even if Erdrick is highly likely, we still don't know the other three DLC slots. Who knows what kind of exciting stuff will be there? Who knows what kind of surprises we might get?
I will be glad just for Erdrick alone.
Crash or Steve would be dope too.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Shulk, Marth, Robin, and Lucina all do fall into that category whether you like it or not.
Shulk might be a sword user, but he plays very, very differently from the Fire Emblem characters because of his Monado Arts. Robin is a bit of a magic user, but at the same time, he is pretty much just as much of a sword user.

D

Deleted member

2000px-Fire_Emblem_logo.svg.png

Variety!

Last edited by a moderator:

MattX20

Smash Hero

While I have reservations toward Erdrick's likelyhood given the "bandwagoning" surrounding him and the "Brave" stat contradictions, I do agree with the rest of your statement.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Shulk might be a sword user, but he plays very, very differently from the Fire Emblem characters because of his Monado Arts. Robin is a bit of a magic user, but at the same time, he is pretty much just as much of a sword user.
I mean I agree with you, that speaking technically there are some differences in playstyles but at the same time a lot of them share qualities too. If more of the FE characters where as different as Robin I think you would see less criticism in general. I think if Sakurai used characters like Wyvern Riders and huge axe wielders in Sm4sh you wouldn't see the complaints you do now. I'm saying its the whole package together when people are pointing out "animu swordfighters" and why they feel same-y.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
From what it appears, there is always going to be a set of nasty trolls out there who do nothing but try to rub the fact the character is in the game (I saw some stuff during the Grinch leak regarding the characters in other places).

Supporting a character based on a leak is still considered support in my opinion. What a few others, the user in question, and I were arguing about was based on if support from a leak is should be considered genuine. Let's move on.

*cackles* The inclusion of 2B, the one that will create the biggest internet fireworks show yet! :upsidedown:
I honestly think someone like her would be mind-blowing or similar like Joker's reveal was, an unexpected surprise like Reggie was talking about. I would love to see 2B in Smash, and I really like the soundtrack of NieR: Automata, and a friend of mine would probably lose her mind if she found out 2B is coming to Smash; I'd like to see her happy and I'd love to have some NieR: Automata soundtrack in Smash Ultimate. Will I be sad if Geno doesn't make it? Yes, absolutely. I will be sad and disappointed that Geno couldn't make it a third time, but even after supporting Geno for about 11 years, I'm still fine with 2B in Smash since my friend will be very happy, and I haven't seen her happy in years. I like to put others first and me last. :)
This begs the question, Doomguy or Master Chief?

Anyway, I'm really close to elite smash at long last. I don't know how because I'm not that good, but I'm so close I can taste it. Of course, all while using the Geno profile pic.
Master Chief because I grew up with Halo, but I'd rather have the Arbiter from Halo 2/3 in Smash. Keep it up, you're almost to elite smash! :)

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
And just as I'm on the verge of elite smash I lose to like world's best Toon Link three times and went from 3.4 million to 2.8 million :)))))

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Anyway on my climb to the top from before I had to beat two people with Geno profiles. Always gotta respect fellow Genobros.

Also, we should make a pact that using your down b with no one around is a sign of respect. Just make it a universal gg.

Last edited:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
I mean I agree with you, that speaking technically there are some differences in playstyles but at the same time a lot of them share qualities too. If more of the FE characters where as different as Robin I think you would see less criticism in general. I think if Sakurai used characters like Wyvern Riders and huge axe wielders in Sm4sh you wouldn't see the complaints you do now. I'm saying its the whole package together when people are pointing out "animu swordfighters" and why they feel same-y.
If I needed to pick another sword fighter, I would much rather prefer to pick one that can bring a different playstyle. The thing about anime/human sword fighters in this game and in the entire series, is that they generally have the same kind of playstyle. Cloud might have brought something different with his Limit Break, but at the end of the day, his fighting style is very much reminiscent of Marth (part of me wishes Cloud could use his summons and they weren't limited to Midgar stage, that would have changed his play and fighting styles to an extent, even if gameplay balance might be sacrificed in doing so).

I might be wrong, but I think, as however controversial it may be gameplay and meta-wise, a swordie that has a playstyle like Bayonetta and can oppress opponents on and offstage with reliable projectiles would bring a significantly different playstyle from the rest of the swordies in the series. Or maybe just a recipe for a Brawl Meta Knight situation.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
If I needed to pick another sword fighter, I would much rather prefer to pick one that can bring a different playstyle. The thing about anime/human sword fighters in this game and in the entire series, is that they generally have the same kind of playstyle. Cloud might have brought something different with his Limit Break, but at the end of the day, his fighting style is very much reminiscent of Marth (part of me wishes Cloud could use his summons and they weren't limited to Midgar stage, that would have changed his play and fighting styles to an extent, even if gameplay balance might be sacrificed in doing so).

I might be wrong, but I think, as however controversial it may be gameplay and meta-wise, a swordie that has a playstyle like Bayonetta and can oppress opponents on and offstage with reliable projectiles would bring a significantly different playstyle from the rest of the swordies in the series. Or maybe just a recipe for a Brawl Meta Knight situation.
If Erdrick is Brave I really hope that he has interesting projectile attacks and played like what you are describing rather than being more like the FE swordfighters.

MattX20

Smash Hero

I get where you're coming from, but unfortunately the datamined stats for Brave don't really make sense for a sword fighter. If they were applied to a swordfighter and it turned out to be Erdrick, they'd be the worst ones in the entire game.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I get where you're coming from, but unfortunately the datamined stats for Brave don't really make sense for a sword fighter. If they were applied to a swordfighter and it turned out to be Erdrick, they'd be the worst ones in the entire game.
Well, PP's stats ended up changing drastically before its final release, so for all we know, those stats aren't final. As they stand right now, they don't fit how I'd imagine Erdrick, but they likely aren't the final stats.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Well, PP's stats ended up changing drastically before its final release, so for all we know, those stats aren't final. As they stand right now, they don't fit how I'd imagine Erdrick, but they likely aren't the final stats.
How drastically were they changed and in what areas exactly? Because at least from my understanding, stuff like height is usually not one of them and you don't see such massive modifications to them that late into development.

D

Deleted member

The stat changes weren't dramatic changes, though. The overall playstyle of the character didn't change

Ovaltine

Smash Master
How drastically were they changed and in what areas exactly? Because at least from my understanding, stuff like height is usually not one of them and you don't see such massive modifications to them that late into development.
I believe multiple stats were, but I can't recall exactly which ones. You'd have to ask someone who's seen the datamines in recent memory for that, probably. That being said, we're talking in terms of play style here, not strictly the height stat.

The stat changes weren't dramatic changes, though. The overall playstyle of the character didn't change
Really? Because the one stat that I do remember being changed, the ground speed, was hugely changed. PP went from slow as molasses to the way it is today.

Last edited:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Even though the idea and leak is out there, we have no way of telling if "Brave" is in fact Erdrick or another fighter. And of course, we have no way of telling when those stats were implemented or if they are final.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

That being said, uh... can we get some tempers simmering down in here? It's feelin' kinda spicy. Let's look on the bright side: even if Erdrick is highly likely, we still don't know the other four DLC slots. Who knows what kind of exciting stuff will be there? Who knows what kind of surprises we might get?
Sorry, I had to correct that, because as much as you and many others are positive Erdrick is in, it ain't over until that fat lady sings, and I ain't seen any fat ladies singing in recent times. The dude has the same amount of evidence as most of his competition, but just because a couple of leakers who have little to base their claims on said so we have all assumed the worst. Hell, did everyone forget how Square is tight-lipped and hates leaks? Did we all forget that Erdrick being 'heard the most' could easily be leakbait to throw everyone off at the next reveal? The manz ain't in yet, so stop convincing yourself that he is.

Seriously, stop fretting so much about his inclusion: if he does get in, Nintendo made a huge mistake in terms of fan appeal and we will let them know, and if he doesn't then we don't have to worry about it. The more you convince yourself that he is in, the more it not only makes the wait for a reveal pure anguish, but if he is revealed it will jade your opinion of him even if he is a cool character.

Still though, just like the Corrin situation, I think fans should speak up even if we get a cool character out of the situation.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot my main point, which was that I really didn't think things were getting heated as much as we had people putting up the arguments of others and rather than properly debate others kinda just danced around with a silly face because they thought the argument was ridiculous and didn't need to take it seriously. I jumped on this because it's what ruined Papa's chat in leak speculation for nearly a month, and I'd hate to have that happen here.

You seem to be in touch with the thread though, so maybe we should offer additional conversation. I will do so, but if you are a big KH fan and haven't gotten all the endings of KH3 yet, DO NOT READ THE SPOILER!

So with the Secret Ending basically hinting that the next KH game/perhaps DLC will focus on other Square properties and make them into worlds to visit and specifically Verum Rex and The World Ends With You are shown AND that a port of KH3 to Switch may be in the works due to sales and requests, do you think these are signs that Sora might make it to Smash? What about Neku? It could be an advertisement for both KH and TWEWY, which would be crazy but I'm not throwing it out at all.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I believe multiple stats were, but I can't recall exactly which ones. You'd have to ask someone who's seen the datamines in recent memory for that, probably. That being said, we're talking in terms of play style here, not strictly the height stat.

Really? Because the one stat that I do remember being changed, the ground speed, was hugely changed. PP went from slow as molasses to the way it is today.
The playtsyle of PP didn't change, though. PP's stats were plugged into Bowser Jr, and PP was a character with pretty goofy range. So, brave's stats and playstyle are unlikely to change dramatically, at the least

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Sorry, I had to correct that, because as much as you and many others are positive Erdrick is in, it over until that fat lady sings, and I ain't seen any fat ladies singing in recent times. The dude has the same amount of evidence as most of his competition, but just because a couple of leakers who have little to base their claims on said so we have all assumed the worst. Hell, did everyone forget how Square is tight-lipped and hates leaks? Did we all forget that Erdrick being 'heard the most' could easily be leakbait to throw everyone off at the next reveal? The manz ain't in yet, so stop convincing yourself that he is.

Seriously, stop fretting so much about his inclusion: if he does get in, Nintendo made a huge mistake in terms of fan appeal and we will let them know, and if he doesn't then we don't have to worry about it. The more you convince yourself that he is in, the more it not only makes the wait for a reveal pure anguish, but if he is revealed it will jade your opinion of him even if he is a cool character.

Still though, just like the Corrin situation, I think fans should speak up even if we get a cool character out of the situation.
Not gonna lie, you're really good at pep-talking me back into having better hopes, haha. I still think that he's coming, mostly because I want to protect myself from the hurt of hoping for/expecting someone else (especially Geno)... but I wish I were in a position where I could think, "Well, Geno's Mii costume was the only post-ballot one that wasn't promoted to playable, so it's probably him and Erdrick is leakbait."

That being said, though, it is super weird that Geno, the only post-ballot Mii outfit that didn't get upgraded to playable, is still not playable. At least, I'm talking in terms of the ones that were ballot-influenced to begin with (Geno's, K. Rool's, etc).

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Geno representing Fire Emblem is how he will get into Smash

Nintendo buys the rights to SMRPG from Square, saying they'll be Fire Emblem characters so that Square won't be interested in keeping everything because they can't get that sweet Mario moolah.

Nintendo then drops Geno and Mallow references in an FE game as their only appearances in the series, then continues to use all the SMRPG characters in Mario games.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Not gonna lie, you're really good at pep-talking me back into having better hopes, haha. I still think that he's coming, mostly because I want to protect myself from the hurt of hoping for/expecting someone else (especially Geno)... but I wish I were in a position where I could think, "Well, Geno's Mii costume was the only post-ballot one that wasn't promoted to playable, so it's probably him and Erdrick is leakbait."

That being said, though, it is super weird that Geno, the only post-ballot Mii outfit that didn't get upgraded to playable, is still not playable. At least, I'm talking in terms of the ones that were ballot-influenced to begin with (Geno's, K. Rool's, etc).
Yeah but, we've been over Square and how they like money and are character stingy, which they honestly have every right to be. Nintendo is honestly the same way, as you'll never see Mario, Link, Fox, Samus or Kirby on any other major competitor console.

Btw guys, I edited my previous post to offer discussion, so I will quote just the spoiler part.

You seem to be in touch with the thread though, so maybe we should offer additional conversation. I will do so, but if you are a big KH fan and haven't gotten all the endings of KH3 yet, DO NOT READ THE SPOILER!

So with the Secret Ending basically hinting that the next KH game/perhaps DLC will focus on other Square properties and make them into worlds to visit and specifically Verum Rex and The World Ends With You are shown AND that a port of KH3 to Switch may be in the works due to sales and requests, do you think these are signs that Sora might make it to Smash? What about Neku? It could be an advertisement for both KH and TWEWY, which would be crazy but I'm not throwing it out at all.
Once this topic of convo gets revv'd up, I have something that brings it back towards the main topic of this thread.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
if he does get in, Nintendo made a huge mistake in terms of fan appeal
The "Cloud" of DQ is a huge mistake in fan appeal? I mean,I'm not particularly for or against him, but I think we aught to not go down the path of trying to haphazardly paint characters we aren't interested in as misfires. It's not like the case with Corrin, come on now. :U

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom