• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I've been really liking bonus DLC character theories. Because Nintendo officially confirmed that Joker did steal someone's invite. If we go by assuming they would just resend the person another invite. That means the 5 fighter pass fighters and an extra fighter.
Wait...
What if every DLC reveal was connected into a single story?

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
I've been really liking bonus DLC character theories. Because Nintendo officially confirmed that Joker did steal someone's invite. If we go by assuming they would just resend the person another invite. That means the 5 fighter pass fighters and an extra fighter.
Can I have some extra sauce with that sentence?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
That would be pretty great if it resulted in a confrontation video. Kind of weird that the only person suggesting Smash in the next Direct is Polar's source's somewhat untrustworthy colleague. The rumors have reached a fever pitch but nobody will any credibility is suggesting Smash. It would definitely be an interesting turn of events if it winds up being a total ghost.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Some characters actually lost their support at some point. Back in the days, when people saw that Golden Saw had NOTHING in Smash 4, they kinda gave up. That's why I always said that Isaac's performance in the ballot was always overrated. Isaac's fate is the saddest because he lost some support when he needed it the most. That's why he came back as an AT and not as a playable character. Now, his support is better than ever and he's back in the spotlight thanks to his AT. But if many people didn't stop to support him during the ballot days, the sad truth is that he would probably be playable right now.

Decidueye's support died too. Geno's support was weak during Smash 4 days.

So yeah, there's always a base of hardcore fans who will keep supporting their character but most of the time, the majority of the people are just bandwagoning. That's the case for Erdrick and basically every other characters.

Truth is, before we started talking about Erdrick, the vast majority of the community didn't know who the **** he was. Most of the time, when people talked about DQ, they just said "we want some DQ representation" or "Slime could get in" at best. No one was like "What about Erdrick ?". So yeah, there's a lot of bandwagoning with this character. And I'm pretty sure that if he's not getting in, people will forget about him and just ask for "Dragon Quest representation".

And I love Dragon Quest and Erdrick, I have no problem with him being the Square rep, so don't start using the "hater" argument.
You're right. I honestly don't remember seeing any Geno support during the Smash 4 days, even though I wasn't a big fan of Smash 4, but it sure got boosted when the ballot came. The support for Geno was very strong during Brawl and Ultimate's speculation, which was a huge difference compared to Smash 4's speculation.
Gosh, same. I haven't so much wanted to main Ridley, but as soon as K. Rool was revealed, I was like, "No matter what, I'm maining him." My love for K. Rool is bananas (HEH), and I vowed that if he was in Smash, he'd be my main. Guess who made it to Smash, and who I am maining to this day? :drflip:

It's sad that I doubt most of the DLC will really be for me, but I can't be happier about my base game most wanted. Go Kremling Krew, go!
Every time I play as King K. Rool in online 1v1 matches, I always play a loop of him singing his Finest Hour.
IT'S GREAT TO BE KING! I SEEM TO HAVE A KNACK, FOR TAKING EVERYTHING I WANT AND GIVING NOTHING BACK! I'LL TAKE AWAY YOUR JELLIES, I'LL TAKE AWAY YOUR JAMS! HAVE A NICE VACATION, WHILE I TAKE YOUR TRAVEL PLANS! NOW THAT I HAVE THE POWER, THIS IS MY FINEST HOUR! NOTHING ON THIS EARTH CAN STOP ME NOWWWWWW!
It helps keep up as if I'm unstoppable and that no Corrin main can stop me now! :joyful:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Kind of weird that the only person suggesting Smash in the next Direct is Polar's source's somewhat untrustworthy colleague. The rumors have reached a fever pitch but nobody will any credibility is suggesting Smash. It would definitely be an interesting turn of events if it winds up being a total ghost.
Not for me, it would mean that the forum will have become a madhouse by E3. Last thing we need right now is Murphy's Law.

My hunch is, even the Direct organizers won't know of any Smash content until they're just about ready to air.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
And like Incineroar, people will open up to him if he is handled in a fun and endearing manner.

Personally, if you can't feel anything towards Erdrick's design, then that's alright. Designs can be pretty subjective. What hits you doesn't have to be what hits me or anyone else in this thread.

There are some lies here, though. The whole sword argument is overblown. Out of all of the 19 Smash 4 newcomers including miis, five of them predominantly use a sword, and they're all pretty unique. Robin uses magic, Shulk can buff himself and has obscene range with the closest thing we have to a lightsaber, Cloud is Cloud and that speak for himself, and Corrin can turn into a dragon and has stupid-looking acrobatics.

It's a ridiculous argument because if the weapon characters used defined what the character was, they wouldn't be characters. Let's not even count how many characters use their fists in Smash Bros because I'm sure the number is more gargantuan. If you boil it down to what weapon they're predominantly shown with, you're not really looking at what makes the character unique. This could also apply to Geno. We already have characters who fight with arm cannons, lasers, guns, and explosives. Therefore, Geno would not be unique. He would just be a wooden Megaman. That argument is superficial because Geno is unique. However, this is the same argument people are using for Erdrick. Now I hope you see my issue because of it.

Also:

Chibi design

Chibi design, big anime eyes

He's a ninja doing a cool ninja pose, that's pretty anime

Ryu's design has become more and more anime over the years.

She's hot, uses magic and guns, is a badass chick, and she's hot. That's very anime.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
On the topic of anime swordfighters, I'm just gonna repost this take on the "but there are so many brawlers/gunners/[insert other archetype here], too!" counterargument I posted a few months back:
To be fair, comparing swordies to unarmed fighters is a bit of a false equivalence since there's generally a lot more room for creativity with an unarmed fighter than there is with yet another swordfighter. Unarmed fighters can punch, kick, knee, tackle, headbutt, bite, shoulder-bash, body slam, stomp, and much more depending on their general physique, and that doesn't even begin to go into the specific abilities of that character. Swordies, meanwhile, can slash and stab with their weapon and that's about it. I think that's where a lot of the issue stems from. Even if the moves are mechanically different, conceptually, a lot of swordies kind of fight the same before putting Specials into the equation. (I mean, how many swordies in the roster have a downward swipe for their Fair? Think about it.) The only real distinction to be made there is light swords vs. heavy swords, which has only really been explored once in Smash's entire history with Ike swinging his sword around more like it's a club than a sword.
And since you brought it up, the only real "gunners" in Smash's roster currently are Mii Gunner, Mega Man, the Samuses, and kind of Bayonetta. (And if you wanna get really picky, Snake, K. Rool, and the Spacies technically do shoot guns, even if it's only for one special each and their kit isn't really based on them having guns.) I wouldn't exactly call that trope tired just yet.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
What people seem to be taking frustration with is your assertion that Erdrick's support is based on bandwagoning and how people are just supporting the character just for the sake of "being correct", as you put it. Put simply, it creates the impression that you think Erdrick's support is artificial because people just want to be right about a character being in game.

Bolderousness and others have already said what I was going to say, so I am going to end it here.
I'm not saying that's all Erdrick has... but I do think there's been a LOT of band wagoners since the name got spread to the leak scene.

D

Deleted member

You're right. I honestly don't remember seeing any Geno support during the Smash 4 days, even though I wasn't a big fan of Smash 4, but it sure got boosted when the ballot came. The support for Geno was very strong during Brawl and Ultimate's speculation, which was a huge difference compared to Smash 4's speculation.

Every time I play as King K. Rool in online 1v1 matches, I always play a loop of him singing his Finest Hour.
IT'S GREAT TO BE KING! I SEEM TO HAVE A KNACK, FOR TAKING EVERYTHING I WANT AND GIVING NOTHING BACK! I'LL TAKE AWAY YOUR JELLIES, I'LL TAKE AWAY YOUR JAMS! HAVE A NICE VACATION, WHILE I TAKE YOUR TRAVEL PLANS! NOW THAT I HAVE THE POWER, THIS IS MY FINEST HOUR! NOTHING ON THIS EARTH CAN STOP ME NOWWWWWW!
It helps keep up as if I'm unstoppable and that no Corrin main can stop me now! :joyful:
In regards to Crash Bandicoot I can say that many fans with myself included were not hoping to see him return during the Smash 4 days, so we found the idea of him getting in a Smash game impossible.

But ever since Activision released the Crash content in Smash and to this day has done dope with the IP, the positivity returned and Crash finally got a lot of support. It got even bigger when some Activision workers shared in an official stream their support for the idea of Crash getting in Smash Ultimate.

I would cry if the marsupial got in Ultimate at least in a second Fighter Pass.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Geno did have support for Smash 4, it just wasn't as much as it was for Brawl. To be fair, Ridley and Megaman were probably the only major characters from Brawl speculation that weren't massively hurt by being discomfirmed. Characters like K. Rool largely rose because such a huge void opened up as a lot of fanbases all but collapsed in the end game of Brawl speculation.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
It does get kinda annoying to see Geno constantly being based but we always have to take the high road and not stoop to mean levels.
I feel like Geno fan's are always the one expected to take the high road, even though we're the one's who are **** on the most. I just don't feel like that's fair... It's understandable that people are getting tired and lashing out.

D

Deleted member

If there’s a bash towards Geno and his fans, I can say that I’m not part of it.
I would love to see Geno again in any game, not necessarily Smash.

I also wanted to share this thought: if we get the Geno Mii costume as paid DLC, maybe Square and Nintendo could make a small deal regarding the character if the costume gives huges benefits DLC-wise. Maybe Nintendo sees the money the costume makes and thinks “You know, maybe we could win some extra money and attention with another project if we include this character somewhere”.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
I'm not saying that's all Erdrick has... but I do think there's been a LOT of band wagoners since the name got spread to the leak scene.
All potential newcomers have bandwagoners, including Geno. Are you trying to imply that Erdrick and his support thread doesn't deserve those bandwagoners because of some leak?

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
All potential newcomers have bandwagoners, including Geno. Are you trying to imply that Erdrick and his support thread doesn't deserve those bandwagoners because of some leak?
I'm saying the leak artificially inflated his amount of support.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
I'm saying the leak artificially inflated his amount of support.
Let me change my question: Are you implying that Erdrick's supporters, especially those who supported him after the leak, aren't as passionate for the character as those who support Geno?

You made mention that people are supporting him just because they want to be right when a character is announced.

Last edited:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Let me change my question: Are you implying that Erdrick's supporters, especially those who supported him after the leak, aren't as passionate for the character as those who support Geno?
I'm gonna answer that question.

DQ supporters at least have DQ to play with, for them having rep in Smash (What I'm complety ok with) is nice, but not as wonderful as it can be for a Geno Supporter to have Geno in. They do can be passionate of course, but again, even if DQ isn't represented in Smash, that's not a big deal since they have a full franchise to enjoy it.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
I *do* believe there's a contingent of people who only support Erdrick on the grounds of him being the "most likely" character due to rumours, leakers, and the idea that Square and Nintendo will want to push for Dragon Quest's increased profile in the West.

But at the end of the day a fan is a fan, and support of all kinds is valid.

Klimax

Smash Ace
And like Incineroar, people will open up to him if he is handled in a fun and endearing manner.

Personally, if you can't feel anything towards Erdrick's design, then that's alright. Designs can be pretty subjective. What hits you doesn't have to be what hits me or anyone else in this thread.

There are some lies here, though. The whole sword argument is overblown. Out of all of the 19 Smash 4 newcomers including miis, five of them predominantly use a sword, and they're all pretty unique. Robin uses magic, Shulk can buff himself and has obscene range with the closest thing we have to a lightsaber, Cloud is Cloud and that speak for himself, and Corrin can turn into a dragon and has stupid-looking acrobatics.

It's a ridiculous argument because if the weapon characters used defined what the character was, they wouldn't be characters. Let's not even count how many characters use their fists in Smash Bros because I'm sure the number is more gargantuan. If you boil it down to what weapon they're predominantly shown with, you're not really looking at what makes the character unique. This could also apply to Geno. We already have characters who fight with arm cannons, lasers, guns, and explosives. Therefore, Geno would not be unique. He would just be a wooden Megaman. That argument is superficial because Geno is unique. However, this is the same argument people are using for Erdrick. Now I hope you see my issue because of it.

Also:

I think that when people refer to "anime style", they talk about a specific anime style (or Akira Toriyama's style because Dragon Ball is just too famous and everyone knows the style): The one that you see in Fire Emblem or every goddam recent anime (because let's be real, most of them look the same nowadays). Sure you can see characters in anime that look like Simon Belmont, but in recent anime, 99,9% of them will look like Richter. That's this specific style that people are talking about when they **** on "anime inspired characters".

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I think judging a fanbase based on baseless hypotheticals that you've made up just to show your support is more righteous is kind of gross.
What people seem to be taking frustration with is your assertion that Erdrick's support is based on bandwagoning and how people are just supporting the character just for the sake of "being correct", as you put it. Put simply, it creates the impression that you think Erdrick's support is artificial because people just want to be right about a character being in game.

Bolderousness and others have already said what I was going to say, so I am going to end it here.
What the hell makes support "manufactured"? Honestly the reason characters like Hilda recieved brief spikes in campaigning is because after their game came out and goes away they don't have too much of a chance due to them getting replaced decently fast with new characters and games. The reason someone like Ridley lived so long is because Metroid and Ridley are, well, still alive (even if it was on hiatus for a bit) and not having the closest thing to a consistent main villain the series has was a gaping hole. The reason Isaac or Geno, however, lived so long is simply the fact that those characters aren't going anywhere. GS is dead and SMRPG (and by association Geno) is owned by SE. That's the reason they've been campaigned for for so long.

However, the reason someone like Hilda, or Lyn aren't getting supported as much is because their time has come and gone. The franchises they're from have moved past them. The series are still alive, yes, but the character is finished now. You can't really compare someone like Hilda to Geno.
Okay alright, I get that OptimisticStrifer OptimisticStrifer has done some dumb **** around here and isn't everyone's favorite person, but can you lighten up on them a little bit to see the point that they made? It's sad when someone offers a valid statement only to have it thrown out the window because of bias, man I'm sick of that.

If you think that most of Erdrick's support and push right now is from genuine fans of Erdrick and DQ as a whole instead of leak troglodytes who just wanna shove into peoples faces how they were right, I point you to none other than PapaGeno's leak speculation discord up until the past week or so when some of the obnoxious people were dealt with. It was nothing but 'Erdrick is in' and spamming emotes of Erdrick holding a wine glass in a smug manner. Seriously, if you really think that most of the support for him, ESPECIALLY in the West, is genuine and not for the pure sake of 'Haha, I told you so, suck it!' then you need to invest in stock on the wool you are pulling over your own eyes.

Also, fun fact for all of you that are more focused in getting in little jabs than providing a real argument over the 'anime swordsman' issue, I think Ze Diglett Ze Diglett covered it best but I'll also give my two cents: there IS an 'anime swordsperson' problem, and that's because the general public thinks there is. When they see and 'anime-styled' (usually bishi or perfectly attractive as only anime can provide) swordsman or swordswoman, it no longer matters how unique their moveset is: they are 'anime-styled' and use a sword, so it's a problem. Erdrick would fuel that, as he is 'anime-styled' and he would likely wield a sword.

Fun fact, there are only so many ways you can swing a sword, and since most of the characters in Smash wield swords in a similar manner, they all seem the same and that's boring. Link uses other tools and weapons, but the other Links follow suit, so if Erdrick were to work like that people would complain. Corrin and Robin have magic/bloodline abilities that diversify them greatly, but if Erdrick uses magic people will tie that back to these two, and the LAST thing Erdrick wants is to be compared with Corrin for obvious reasons.

Now a good share of us HAVE brains and realize the differences, but the general public doesn't care about nuance, and even Sakurai thinks there is a bit of an over-saturation of swordwielders/FE characters. Chrom got in because of requests and his echo fighter status, that's it. If he had no request and couldn;t be easily implemented, you wouldn't see him.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
You may call it a maymay but the fact is that people are just sick of the whole aesthetic of the FE style human sword users. There's a reason almost no one lists FE style characters or anything close to that in speculation lists. Because people are tired of them. Could Sakurai potentially add in 6 more sword fighters that technically play differently from one another? Maybe. Do people want that? No. You can look at listings of top requested characters for SSBU pre release and now for DLC and see most of the characters are not that. The only one that is in that sort of spectrum is Sora and even then when people list out movesets its hard not to see that it comes off as feeling very similar to several that we already have in the game. The issue is that there are so many non-anime/realistic human-esque sword users out there not only in Nintendo but in the greater video game pantheon that people have been requesting for years. It was frustrating as a fan of the series to see that sort of character be brought in over and over again in Sm4sh when the point of Smash is to celebrate all of gaming and Sakurais stated intention is to bring in characters that offer something new and different to the roster the more you add anime style swordfighters the less that even becomes feasible or even worth it to a lot of people. Why spend development time trying to met out a niche for another swordfighter when there are plenty of characters that don't use sword or have that kind of aesthetic? I think I'd feel differently if the FE fighters we've gotten represent the different weapon styles availiable in FE but at this point they don't and it this point adding more is just frustrating.
I would trade more than half of the Fire Emblem characters for Lyn. But I really don't care if Fire Emblem doesn't ever get another rep again though.

What kind of fool do you take me for? He's Marth, he's Marth, I'M MARTH! Are there any other MARTHS I should know about?!

I'm Marth. :D

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Honestly, Grinch kind of did that too with some of them (That fake made me invested in Mach Rider, not gonna lie).
I am still invested in Mach Rider. I started a conversation about a hypothetical modern Mach Rider game on the thread just yesterday.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I feel like Geno fan's are always the one expected to take the high road, even though we're the one's who are **** on the most. I just don't feel like that's fair... It's understandable that people are getting tired and lashing out.
The issue with us needing to be the one’s who take the high road is specifically we have to hold to it if we want Geno in.

Any movement is going to get more support when that movement understands the need to persevere and to do it in a way that won’t be counter productive to the overall vision of the movement.

We’re the biggest Geno fan base around, and thus, we’re representative of Geno in Smash to a large degree. How we act influences how the rest of the Smash community perceives Geno fans and Geno as a request. I’ve been pushing this over and over again because that’s the truth. If we lash out, that gives any detractors ammo to fire back at us and potentially soils our image as a request.

Geno in Smash absolutely relies upon our support. Without a community like us, Geno is absolutely just not a thing. So we have to be the people to shoulder the worst burden of supporting him without making things worse.

Is it fair to us? No. Should it be that way? No. Of course not. But we as a community have suffered a blow in the months after base roster was confirmed after an extended period of positivity. This is when we absolutely need to be at our best and most persistent in support. Anger and rage, however earned it might be, will not be a solution or a good thing for us.

It takes strength to not lash out, but it’s absolutely best for us not to in the long run until the tides change back our way and start to look more positive for us. That’s when we can afford to be a little more combative and confrontational, but now just isn’t the time.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
True.
I was technically part of it too.
Right. Stuff like that is fun to think about. I have a feeling that Mach Rider will have more support in the future, as the RTC for her post Grinch Leak was much more positive. She is definitely on peoples radar now.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think they might just be word of play whether than hinting towards a bonus character outside the Season Pass besides Piranha Plant.

All ending in a court case. Who stole the Smash invitation?

The smash Invite turnabout
You just described the Fighter Pass #5, Pheonix Wright
OBJECTION!!! ''Challenger Approaching! A New Foe Has Appeared!''

Edit: I remember there was a video on Youtube before Brawl's full roster was revealed and it was fake showning the message ''Congratulations! You have unlocked all thefighters!'' then the screen faded into black and than you hear ''OBJECTION!!!'' than you see Phoenix Wright in the Challenger Approaching sign. I tried looking for it again, but I couldn't find the video.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

In regards to Crash Bandicoot I can say that many fans with myself included were not hoping to see him return during the Smash 4 days, so we found the idea of him getting in a Smash game impossible.

But ever since Activision released the Crash content in Smash and to this day has done dope with the IP, the positivity returned and Crash finally got a lot of support. It got even bigger when some Activision workers shared in an official stream their support for the idea of Crash getting in Smash Ultimate.

I would cry if the marsupial got in Ultimate at least in a second Fighter Pass.
Crash would literally be the only character I would cry over if he got in.

D

Deleted member

I'm cryin' if either of my most wanted get in.

And I will cry even more if they both get in.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
there IS an 'anime swordsperson' problem, and that's because the general public thinks there is. W
Do they really? Or is just another buzz phrase from a vocal minority? Especially considering how much big support a lot of characters who fall under that vague fan-made category get for Smash.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
If you think that most of Erdrick's support and push right now is from genuine fans of Erdrick and DQ as a whole instead of leak troglodytes who just wanna shove into peoples faces how they were right, I point you to none other than PapaGeno's leak speculation discord up until the past week or so when some of the obnoxious people were dealt with. It was nothing but 'Erdrick is in' and spamming emotes of Erdrick holding a wine glass in a smug manner. Seriously, if you really think that most of the support for him, ESPECIALLY in the West, is genuine and not for the pure sake of 'Haha, I told you so, suck it!' then you need to invest in stock on the wool you are pulling over your own eyes.
From what it appears, there is always going to be a set of nasty trolls out there who do nothing but try to rub the fact the character is in the game (I saw some stuff during the Grinch leak regarding the characters in other places).

Supporting a character based on a leak is still considered support in my opinion. What a few others, the user in question, and I were arguing about was based on if support from a leak is should be considered genuine. Let's move on.

Also, fun fact for all of you that are more focused in getting in little jabs than providing a real argument over the 'anime swordsman' issue, I think Ze Diglett Ze Diglett covered it best but I'll also give my two cents: there IS an 'anime swordsperson' problem, and that's because the general public thinks there is. When they see and 'anime-styled' (usually bishi or perfectly attractive as only anime can provide) swordsman or swordswoman, it no longer matters how unique their moveset is: they are 'anime-styled' and use a sword, so it's a problem. Erdrick would fuel that, as he is 'anime-styled' and he would likely wield a sword.

Fun fact, there are only so many ways you can swing a sword, and since most of the characters in Smash wield swords in a similar manner, they all seem the same and that's boring. Link uses other tools and weapons, but the other Links follow suit, so if Erdrick were to work like that people would complain. Corrin and Robin have magic/bloodline abilities that diversify them greatly, but if Erdrick uses magic people will tie that back to these two, and the LAST thing Erdrick wants is to be compared with Corrin for obvious reasons.
*cackles* The inclusion of 2B, the one that will create the biggest internet fireworks show yet! :upsidedown:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Crash would literally be the only character I would cry over if he got in.
I'm cryin' if either of my most wanted get in.

And I will cry even more if they both get in.
Ridley I wasn't prepared for, K. Rool almost gave me a heart attack, Banjo & Kazooie might give me a heart attack if they get revealed, and Goemon would kill me of hype if he get's revealed.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I think they might just be word of play whether than hinting towards a bonus character outside the Season Pass besides Piranha Plant.
I'm also pretty sure there was an interview that had someone say specifically he stole someone's invitation. I wasn't able to find it because I was at work. But I am almost positive they outright said he stole someone's.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm also pretty sure there was an interview that had someone say specifically he stole someone's invitation. I wasn't able to find it because I was at work. But I am almost positive they outright said he stole someone's.
You might be right, but I think it's a joke more than a hint.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I, uh, don't see which part of my argument is "pissy and defensive"?
And no, I don't see "Corrin and Cloud are too similar to each other" as a legitimate criticism. Mostly because it's stupid.
Tell me one thing they have in common besides "ew anime" and "human". Just one thing.

Fighting style? Nope. Similar swords? Nope. Aesthetics? Considering the huge differences between style of clothing, hair, face, body type, nope. Abilities? Well one can turn into a ****ing dragon so nope.

Or how about Palutena and Shulk? Or Marth and Robin? Or Lucina and Shulk?

This is why I'm saying that imo it's not a legitimate criticism. Maybe it does work with some, like Lucina and Chrom- they both have the same sword and SOMEWHAT similar fighting styles. But they're echo fighters who took some random intern 3 minutes to make.

That's why I said I don't take people who think that "generic anime swordsman" is a legit thing seriously. Because I don't believe it's a legit complaint at all. It's a meme. One that should be died off long ago.

Honestly if the entire basis of the complaint is "sword human ew" then "Mega Man is just another Samus" or "Banjo is just Duck Hunt" or "Geno is too similar to Mega Man" would also be a just-as-legit complaint.
All of your responses have been super defensive over the fact that I'm explaining to you why people don't want more of those characters in. You can be bootyblasted that people have a difference of opinion but don't shoot the messenger and say you're not taking someone seriously over a comparison between two characters or that its a meme. Because that's not a very constructive discussion. Unless you just want to use me as a punching bag to take out all your anger over people not wanting more anime swordfighters in. If that's what gives you joy go for it I guess lol Yeah, Corrin and Cloud are similar in that they're more or less realistic anime-esque swordfighter protagonists. That's what people don't like. It is a very base comparison, but that's just what people are tired of. Is it superficial? Sure. But that's how people feel.

Shulk, Marth, Robin, and Lucina all do fall into that category whether you like it or not. It doesn't help that most are from the same series. Things don't have to be 1:1 to feel similar. I don't know if you suffer from some sort of visual impairment, but there's a clear aesthetic difference between Samus and MM or Banjo and Duck Hunt and they do things very differently. Their attacks are different and the way they are portrayed in the game is different. IF you showed someone Mega Man and Samus people would easily say that they are from different games and are not related. They're wildly different characters. That's the difference. Try the same thing with Shulk and Lucina. That's the problem people have. They feel too similar and there are already a lot of them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom