• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
I think it's neat you guys can look at these stats and see how you feel it could be Geno, but could you explain how the codename 'Brave' ties in at all to Geno?

'Packu' is literally a shortened version of Piranha Plant's Japanese name, it's super-direct. 'Jack' is the name of the mascot of SMT/Persona, Jack Frost, and is a face card in a deck, like a Joker card is, making it work in multiple ways that line up. Both of these codenames actually relate to their character in some specific way.

How do you actually feasibly look at 'Brave' and relate that to Geno? Because just saying 'he's brave' is a catch-all that could apply to just about any character in no specific way. If any of you can at least correlate the codename 'Brave' to Geno I'd actually like to know the reasoning behind it.

D

Deleted member

I think it's neat you guys can look at these stats and see how you feel it could be Geno, but could you explain how the codename 'Brave' ties in at all to Geno?

'Packu' is literally a shortened version of Piranha Plant's Japanese name, it's super-direct. 'Jack' is the name of the mascot of SMT/Persona, Jack Frost, and is a face card in a deck, like a Joker card is, making it work in multiple ways that line up. Both of these codenames actually relate to their character in some specific way.

How do you actually feasibly look at 'Brave' and relate that to Geno? Because just saying 'he's brave' is a catch-all that could apply to just about any character in no specific way. If any of you can at least correlate the codename 'Brave' to Geno I'd actually like to know the reasoning behind it.
I think the brave codename could be someone we don't expect just by looking at "brave." You would never guess that it was referring to Geno.

Jack does have a connection to Joker, but nobody would have guessed it was referring to him. People might have thought it would be referring to Raiden.

It's not that we think brave has a connection to Geno, it's that we think it may not be someone we guess just by looking at the codename "brave."

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Doesn't Brave also have the frame data of a zoner?

Also, the codename may be more vague because Geno is a more secretive character, or because they caught on to people finding out about stuff like Piranha Plant's stats, so they took measures.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The kid size is kind of a important distinction because of the weight too. Brave is 101. Lucas, Ness, and Inkling are 94, Ice Climbers and Villager are 92, Toon Link is 91, and Young Link is 88. In comparison, Megaman is 102 and Cloud is 100. Wario is 107, Mario is 98, and Pac-Man is 95. One explanation is Erdrick's full armor from the original Japanese box art:

But, with this in mind, why is he floaty and why does he skid? As pointed out a couple of times now, the floaty swordsmen are also light and fast to balance them out. Plus, another thing talked about to death, kid girl Erdrick is not canon and a number of insiders including Tansut are insisting that it's ADULT Erdrick with the female alt from Dragon Quest III.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Running vs Air Speed vs Weight Units of Swordsmen:

Link: 1.534 - 0.924 - 104
Young Link: 1.749 - 0.966 - 88
Marth/Lucina: 1.964 - 1.071- 90
Roy/Chrom: 2.145 - 1.302 - 95
Metaknight: 2.09 - 1.04 - 80
Pit/Dark Pit: 1.828 - 0.935 - 96
Ike: 1.507 - 1.134 - 107
Toon Link: 1.906 - 1.05 - 91
Mii Swordfighter: 1.58 -1.17 - 100
Robin: 1.265 - 1.05 - 95
Shulk: 1.672 - 1.133 - 97
Cloud: 2.167 - 1.155 - 100
Corrin: 1.595 - 1.019- 98

Brave: 1.74 - 1.14 - 101

Going off all of this, the sword fighter that Brave has the most similarities with is Mii Swordfighter, which most people consider the outlier of the sword fighters. Going back to earlier, it's also important to repeat that Brave is about the size of Ness and Toon Link but isn't like them weight or speed wise.
Brave is also pretty close to Ike.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
I think the brave codename could be someone we don't expect just by looking at "brave." You would never guess that it was referring to Geno.

Jack does have a connection to Joker, but nobody would have guessed it was referring to him. People might have thought it would be referring to Raiden.

It's not that we think brave has a connection to Geno, it's that we think it may not be someone we guess just by looking at the codename "brave."
So what I'm hearing is that you're content to just say 'this really has no particular relation to Geno, and despite the other two codenames having tangible relation to their assigned characters in hindsight, I'm hoping the same just doesn't apply to this one'? Because in your scenario, you ignore that while Joker may have been hard to guess from just 'Jack', it lines up in hindsight, but in the case 'Brave' turns out to be Geno, it makes no sense in hindsight.

Keep in mind, these other 2 codenames were in the data before official release, and both tied in with their characters with varying levels of success of keeping them secret. For this third codename, which we also aren't 'supposed' to know, to not have any actual relation to its character makes no sense. It kind of comes off as picking and choosing what available information is actually important, rather than taking a look at the whole picture.

Xigger

Smash Lord

The most popular theory is that the codenames don't have to be very on-the-nose, but I can do you one better: Everyone knows Brave translates from hero, and it's vague enough for any character. Especially a nameless star hero who took a doll's name.

(Still, codenames don't NEED to be justified)

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I have a brief moment on the computer, so I'm going to say my piece on the codename and stats.

I still think it's Erdrick. I think insiders are wrong about it being adult Erdrick, though, as these stats fit kid Erdrick better. That being said, I could see these stats related to Geno instead, and I can even see the codename. However, the codename is a stretch, but it's understandable once you know about it.

Geno is based off of Pinocchio, as stated in Nintendo Power by Square themselves. What does Pinocchio represent? He represents his desire to become a real boy through, and I quote verbatim, "being brave, truthful, and unselfish." Note that first word. Of those qualities, we definitely see Geno's bravery before anything else, and when you think of his relation to Pinocchio...

It makes more sense for Square, especially, to find that a good, yet terribly vague codename. Anything else would be a dead giveaway. This would make more sense internally while also keeping the public stumped. It's a pretty simple, yet effective solution.

That being said, I highly doubt this is Geno. For people getting their hopes up, I recommend keeping them tempered massively. I'm still 99% on it being Erdrick myself. It would be a nice, pleasant surprise for it to be Geno, but I don't see it that way.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
On the other hand, given the meaning Brave has in Japan and if the character in question is related to DQ, it wouldn't even be like calling the password "swordfish" anymore, but "password", given how blatantly obvious it is for anyone to pin down. It'd be such an idiotic move that I wouldn't be surprised if it's SE themselves that came up with it.

I have a brief moment on the computer, so I'm going to say my piece on the codename and stats.

I still think it's Erdrick. I think insiders are wrong about it being adult Erdrick, though, as these stats fit kid Erdrick better. That being said, I could see these stats related to Geno instead, and I can even see the codename. However, the codename is a stretch, but it's understandable once you know about it.

Geno is based off of Pinocchio, as stated in Nintendo Power by Square themselves. What does Pinocchio represent? He represents his desire to become a real boy through, and I quote verbatim, "being brave, truthful, and unselfish." Note that first word. Of those qualities, we definitely see Geno's bravery before anything else, and when you think of his relation to Pinocchio...

It makes more sense for Square, especially, to find that a good, yet terribly vague codename. Anything else would be a dead giveaway. This would make more sense internally while also keeping the public stumped. It's a pretty simple, yet effective solution.

That being said, I highly doubt this is Geno. For people getting their hopes up, I recommend keeping them tempered massively. I'm still 99% on it being Erdrick myself. It would be a nice, pleasant surprise for it to be Geno, but I don't see it that way.
Odds are, it could also be neither. Nor Agnes. Nor Yuri. Nor Elma. Nor Agumon. Nor anyone else that people think is related to Brave in some fashion. It could be someone completely unexpected. And I'll congratulate for thinking outside of the box.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So what I'm hearing is that you're content to just say 'this really has no particular relation to Geno, and despite the other two codenames having tangible relation to their assigned characters in hindsight, I'm hoping the same just doesn't apply to this one'? Because in your scenario, you ignore that while Joker may have been hard to guess from just 'Jack', it lines up in hindsight, but in the case 'Brave' turns out to be Geno, it makes no sense in hindsight.

Keep in mind, these other 2 codenames were in the data before official release, and both tied in with their characters with varying levels of success of keeping them secret. For this third codename, which we also aren't 'supposed' to know, to not have any actual relation to its character makes no sense. It kind of comes off as picking and choosing what available information is actually important, rather than taking a look at the whole picture.
Again, the reason we are thinking it could be Geno is because he fits the stats of brave, and because of this, we are thinking that brave could be the codename of something no one would think references it. Geno doesn't have a reference to brave, so it may be unexpected.

That's why I'm thinking it could, again, be someone no one guesses or thinks has a relation to. Yes, jack has a connection to Joker, but no one still would have guessed that it is referring to him. I'm thinking brave could be the same way. We don't think brave has a connection to Geno, therefore the codename wouldn't make sense.

Also no one is saying it definitely is, we are just saying it could be this way

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Brave is also pretty close to Ike.
Just in aerial speed. He's notably faster on the ground, he's tied for 10th best fast fall (Ike is tied for 28th so 18 character difference), and notably lighter. For example, the weight difference may not seem like much but there are 9 characters between them and there's a whooping 29 character difference when it comes to speed.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The most popular theory is that the codenames don't have to be very on-the-nose, but I can do you one better: Everyone knows Brave translates from hero, and it's vague enough for any character. Especially a nameless star hero who took a doll's name.

(Still, codenames don't NEED to be justified)
Brave and Hero are only the same word in the context of Dragon Quest.

As in, the entire reason that Yuusha started being translated as Hero instead of Brave is because of Dragon Quest.

Xigger

Smash Lord

As in, the entire reason that Yuusha started being translated as Hero instead of Brave is because of Dragon Quest.
That's rather interesting, and pretty flattering for Dragon Quest to cause a language shift. Not sure if that's a pro or con, but I'll humbly step back from the language dynamics and leave it to the educated.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

But that's what people are saying. Pacchu is super vague without context, same with Jack. "Yuusha" is the complete opposite. We know Nintendo and Square Enix know about the leaks because people were supposedly getting fired as far back as September for it so why would the codename still be made to be something super obvious, especially when no one has a clue when this character is actually coming out?

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
I think what people are trying to say is that the first two codenames only really make sense in hindsight, but brave if looked at by the Japanese is basically a dead giveaway. Being this obvious is as much a difference to the first two codenames as being more vague than the first two codenames.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
I’m still keeping my expectations low, but I’ll say what I’ve said before, the characters codename might be intended to mislead everyone on who it actually is. Everyone’s practically jumped on the Erdrick ship, and for all we know square and Nintendo could be doing that on purpose, all so that we all are caught off guard by the reveal.

After all brave’s placeholder data wasn’t in the game until the most recent patch right? Maybe Nintendo saw how quickly and easily people figured out everyone else, and tried to take a different approach to how they added new characters data, by being deliberately misleading on names.

Hell for all we know it could be zidane from ff9.

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
But that's what people are saying. Pacchu is super vague without context, same with Jack. "Yuusha" is the complete opposite. We know Nintendo and Square Enix know about the leaks because people were supposedly getting fired as far back as September for it so why would the codename still be made to be something super obvious, especially when no one has a clue when this character is actually coming out?
It's "Paccku," which, without the context of Pirahna Plant, could only really be Ms. Pac-Man (since Pakku Pakku is the Japanese onomatopoeia for Pac-man's munching sound.)

Still very misdirecting though.

D

Deleted member

It's "Paccku," which, without the context of Pirahna Plant, could only really be Ms. Pac-Man (since Pakku Pakku is the Japanese onomatopoeia for Pac-man's munching sound.)

Still very misdirecting though.
Paccachu!

The pokemon

Klimax

Smash Ace
Or maybe they just used the design where Erdrick is short:

I'm playing the devil's advocate, yeah but I lost hope in Geno's chances at this point to be honest.

D

Deleted member

Or maybe they just used the design where Erdrick is short:

I'm playing the devil's advocate, yeah but I lost hope in Geno's chances at this point to be honest.
We've discussed it already, and brave still shares more movement similarities with characters like Wario, Pacman, and Duck-hunt than swordsman

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Compare "Brave" to this recent story:

https://www.gonintendo.com/stories/...ion-of-4-emulators-in-the-switch-online-nes-a

The codename for the NES Emulator is Kachi- Kachi or the Japanese onomatopoeia for fire burning, SNES Emulator is Canoe, Hiyoko is the name of a type of Japanese cake, and the last one is simply Count. Those are great codenames because people only know the first two because of the NES and SNES Classic respectively. Nobody has a clue what systems the last two are supposed to be because of this.

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
It would be really funny if Erdrick turned out to be the most elaborate leak bait of all time. People would genuinely be shocked.

sanicdude246

Smash Apprentice
His chances are pretty bad. He appeared in 1 game. A reference in super star saga, Got removed in the remake and a spirit.
If he's a spirit and he joins, What's the point of the spirit battle.

D

Deleted member

His chances are pretty bad. He appeared in 1 game. A reference in super star saga, Got removed in the remake and a spirit.
Eh, everyone has different opinions of his chances, and I think they are looking good.

Lucas, Roy, Bayonetta, Ice Climbers, Pit, and King K Rool were all characters irrelevant characters and characters no one knew about, so that point doesn't hold much ground.

The Superstar Saga remake removal doesn't hold much ground either because Geno has appeared in Ultimate as a spirit, and, IIRC, the reason he was removed in the SS remake was because it would have been too expensive to keep him in the remake. It doesn't have anything to do with how many games he appeared in.

About spirits, the same could be said for the playable characters with spirits, like Wii Fit trainer, Link, and Kaptain K Rool. No point for them to have spirit battles when they are playable characters

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
I don’t know what kind of response you’re expecting from leaving a message like this in the Geno smashboards support board of all places, but if it’s to lower everyone’s expectations, well good luck with that. These people are probably some of the most resiliant fans of a character I’ve ever seen, I doubt a jpeg is gonna stop them from believing in Geno getting in Smash Ultimate.

Hasta la vista.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
My whole thing is that, if it's Erdrick, it's the kid version with full body armor based on the weight and size but then why would he have good aerial movement, be significantly faster than Samus, Corrin, and Megaman who are also in full armor, and have a slide almost as bad as Luigi? Why would a kid in full body armor be this mobile? He's also the third fastest "kid" in the game after Inkling and Toon Link which makes it even weirder. The reasoning that Nintendo always gave for Link's speed is all his equipment but Erdrick has a sword, shield, and full armor including a helmet. I'm still in the boat that we're getting bamboozled somehow.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
My whole thing is that, if it's Erdrick, it's the kid version with full body armor based on the weight and size but then why would he have good aerial movement, be significantly faster than Samus, Corrin, and Megaman who are also in full armor, and have a slide almost as bad as Luigi? Why would a kid in full body armor be this mobile? He's also the third fastest "kid" in the game after Inkling and Toon Link which makes it even weirder. The reasoning that Nintendo always gave for Link's speed is all his equipment but Erdrick has a sword, shield, and full armor including a helmet. I'm still in the boat that we're getting bamboozled somehow.
Yes, that's what I'm saying. It's most likely going to be someone no one in this thread sees coming. Whatever Sakurai's second pick is, he's managed to get someone to handily play 4-D chess with the leakers.

Also, I'm getting bloody tired of these Korean spambots and want them to clear off already.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yes, that's what I'm saying. It's most likely going to be someone no one in this thread sees coming. Whatever Sakurai's second pick is, he's managed to get someone to handily play 4-D chess with the leakers.

Also, I'm getting bloody tired of these Korean spambots and want them to clear off already.
If I'm being completely honest, the brave reveal is the reveal that I am looking forward to the most so far

D

Deleted member

Warren Buffett: "Guys, it's official. Mr. Sakurai invited us to represent our mascot in Super Smash Brothers."

DQ fits the brave stats. Oh my god.

Neutral b - chocolate chip toss
Side b - spoon throw
Up b - spoon flick
Down b - melt and freeze
Final Smash - the Ultimate flavor mixture - DQ cup releases a blast of chocolate, vanilla, smores, peanut butter, and oreo

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
DQ fits the brave stats. Oh my god.

Neutral b - chocolate chip toss
Side b - spoon throw
Up b - spoon flick
Down b - melt and freeze
Final Smash - the Ultimate flavor mixture - DQ cup releases a blast of chocolate, vanilla, smores, peanut butter, and oreo
great. now i’m hungry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom