• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Did you guys really do 30 pages since the thread broke melee'e record? Lol

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Just wanna point out again that the document I saw potentially telling me what's at VGAs has nothing to do with Smash. Don't get too hyped for Smash news if that's what you're thinking.
To be fair, when you mention finding info out about the VGAs on a smash message board, the natural assumption people will make is that it's smash-related news.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I said he'd come as one, not be one. Well, not "extremely". Yeah sure, many wants many, but he's not the top Square choice.. unless Sakurai is bound to FF choices only. Not mad, but not interested. Goes against the "must have DLC", as vague as that was. Honestly I don't think it's a good marketing move at all. FF was represented already, no further representation is needed. Really, popularity has nothing to do with that.

Not character because not offensive!? err.. Isabelle? Also, I meant Spirits wise.
I said, he'd come as one, not be one. For a Square slot he's not the most interesting choice.
Ah, but popularity always helps in selling a character. Keep in mind the higher the popularity the easier it is to sell the character. Also you have fans of that series getting interested in Smash, because a certain fan demanded character is in. Sephirtoth does match this criteria, and I really doubt he wouldn't sell very well. We'll see what happens buddy, it may not be either Geno or Sephirtoh we will have to wait and see.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Its hard to tell due to Square's patterns of choosing fan demaded characters that can also cross promote. I do hope Geno is in for all the loyal fans, its just hard to tell given Square's preference for choosing the character that makes them the most income. I do agree they chose 2B because of fan demand, however she also helped them cross promote. It turned into a favorable choice for them in adding to 2B, because it helped cross promote one of their new games. This is most likely why they went ahead with the 2B idea. Like I say though, hopefully for the sake of Geno fans he is in and Square chooses the fans over high profitability.
Agreed, it comes across as kind of a symbiotic relationship. Square wants to attract new customers who may not be aware of their own products while also making sure people want to purchase the DLC itself. Square's situation this time around in Smash is certainly a puzzle. As a character developed by Platinum Games, 2B must not have been too difficult of a negotiation considering the same situation worked out with Sega and Bayonetta in Smash. It will be interesting to see which character is the final selection and how much weight potential negotiations with Disney, Bird Studio, etc. had in the final decision.

One point I'd make for both Geno and Crono is that Square's strategy for the Switch involves both new IPs like Octopath and rebooting/reusing older IPs like TWEWY and the Final Fantasy lineup. It could be that the Square rep is a general promotion for this strategy and where the epic Geno vs. Sephiroth decision could've derived from if it turns out true.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
After reading that Cloud quote by Sakurai again, I noticed something kinda damning for us. He mentions he could have picked someone like Terra or Bartz, but there are people who wouldn’t know who they are.

If the criteria is that the character has to be recognizable, where does that leave us...?

XII wasn't.......bad in concept...but I think their fubar point was picking Vaan as the main character. Should've been Basch or Balthier honestly. Change that, and it would've been 1000x better.
Vaan as a protagonist just fell flat to me, but the worst part of XII is the gameplay. It’s just not engaging.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
I’ve said this before, but less people were around. There is a scenario in which Geno being a spirit in the base game supports his inclusion as DLC. That scenario being, a lot of people still aren’t that familiar with Geno—but if you make him a powerful spirit in the game, it at least gives players some exposure before DLC. Other characters (Sephiroth) don’t need an introduction. That Geno’s character is literally a powerful spirit that possesses inanimate objects also helps.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The Geno costume added to Smash 4 could have been one way of familiarizing more people with the character

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
The Geno costume added to Smash 4 could have been one way of familiarizing more people with the character
I always saw mii costumes as a stealthy way of Nintendo trying to gauge popularity of characters outside of just voting on a poll. They were a way to see who people would actually spend money on.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Ah, but popularity always helps in selling a character. Keep in mind the higher the popularity the easier it is to sell the character. Also you have fans of that series getting interested in Smash, because a certain fan demanded character is in. Sephirtoth does match this criteria, and I really doubt he wouldn't sell very well. We'll see what happens buddy, it may not be either Geno or Sephirtoh we will have to wait and see.
So the question would be, is it to sell a DLC or a series through DLC? Cloud achieved both.. and still. So, it's not a question of popularity anymore for FF.. and again, nor a series will be pushed by that choice.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
After reading that Cloud quote by Sakurai again, I noticed something kinda damning for us. He mentions he could have picked someone like Terra or Bartz, but there are people who wouldn’t know who they are.

If the criteria is that the character has to be recognizable, where does that leave us...?

Vaan as a protagonist just fell flat to me, but the worst part of XII is the gameplay. It’s just not engaging.
It depends on his definition of recognizable. At the time of Sm4sh when was the last time Terra or Bartz were in high demand? Dissidia? Versus Sakurai had the ballot information plus mii costume sales to see that Geno is well liked and wanted by the Smash audience. Even then this is the same guy that straight up said he pushed to make Geno a character and saw the value of his moveset potential. I don't think Geno at this point is a Terra or Bartz.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

That was also because he chose Cloud to be the sole representative of Final Fantasy. If you're going to pick a character to represent an entire franchise by himself, it better be someone recognizable...
Geno, on the other hand, doesn't have this problem. Mario is already well represented and has most of its main cast in already, so they can afford to take a chance with some deep cuts if they feel like it.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I know what Polar's talking about. Like he said, not Smash related and not 100% confirmed but 100% worthy of watching the VGAs for if true and no, it's not Funky Kong ASMR Adventure. That can be found here:

liamt4

Smash Rookie
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster, and big Geno supporter.
Sorry if this has been asked, but what's this about Sephiroth?
Is he added to that list with the Luminary, Slime etc?
Or is this a separate ""leak?""

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster, and big Geno supporter.
Sorry if this has been asked, but what's this about Sephiroth?
Is he added to that list with the Luminary, Slime etc?
Or is this a separate ""leak?""
Sephiroth has always been on the "list" along with Sora, Slime, Crono, Luminary, Geno, and Erdrick. It's not even a leak, per say, it's a narrative that was told to Polar Panda's source via a DM that implies that it originally came from a real person in Square Enix, verified ala LinkedIn. Whether it actually came from said Square person is unknown.

TL;DR version: According to the narrative, Sora, Geno, and Sephiroth were the only three characters that were ever considered. Sora was turned down fast and early with despite some internal protest. Geno went in for serious negotiations but nobody knows the end result with the implication being that Sephiroth would be the SE character if Geno fell through.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
If the Geno Spirit was all we would get , why wouldn't he was showned in the last direct ?

Sakurai know the demand , otherwise , Geno and Mallow wouldn't be here at all to begin with.

All he had to do was giving him 2 seconds of screen time in the WoL of trailer... Even , he was nowhere to be found in the spirits section , not even on the Smash website !

But for some reasons , he was here as a token in the menu for an online sub-mode , below the character who can see the future... Yeah , it's not a hint , but ... Why would they do this combination when they have 74 characters (not counting alts like female Corrin) and like 200 others online icons to chose from...

Iv'e already said it before...

And even , we weren't supposed to know about Geno and Mallow's spirits. And we don't even have gameplay footage... And it seem that they don't have SMRPG music...

If all of this was to say "that's all we could get folks" then , it was badly done. At least they did it right with Shantae (assuming she won't be DLC , even tho I want her lol)...

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster

I think this represents the battle between Geno and Sephiroth quite well. Replace Cloud with Geno, Tifa represents the Geno fanbase and "giving light" is giving strong support.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Here's a quick recap on the whole DLC situation and the big talking points based on my perspective at the proverbial table:

-SE DLC is virtually inevitable. Geno, Sephiroth, Crono, Erdrick, and Luminary are the most heard names. Slime was heard literally once and Sora is out according to pretty much every insider including Vergeben, Xenother, and Hitagi. Who is considered most likely changes from person to person.

-Namco DLC is pretty likely. Lloyd and Yuri from the Tales series are the most heard names and pretty much no one else. Despite this, it doesn't mean either will necessarily get in.

-Monster Hunter DLC might have some evidence in the game's data but it's hotly debated.

-Minecraft DLC pretty much solely comes from the word of Vergeben's most trusted source. Nobody else has seen anything, leading people who actually play tested Pirhana Plant and the base game to call him out. Unless Vergeben's source is hardcore sitting on the evidence, nothing has been seen.

-Some people have argued that RARE data is in the game but, again, it's inconclusive. Right now, RARE's a ghost otherwise unless evidence is being withheld.

-Ubisoft is surprisingly also a ghost. Again, could be another possible case of an insider with deep JNCO Jean pockets but, from what I've seen, there seems to be a (largely) mutual respect among insiders and evidence is shared freely.

-Sigh of relief: no shill characters are being considered at this time. Everyone that's being seriously implied would be received pretty well, in my opinion. Strangely enough, no first or second party characters yet.

-Aside from Pokemon Sun and Moon, no games originally released past 2015 seem to be in serious consideration for DLC content right now. Makes sense as this was when the project plan was drawn up.

-My own smelly observation: No Hyrule Warriors content in the base game despite Koei-Tecmo being on board. No evidence for DLC right now though, squashing my earlier theories that it was already being considered.

Last edited:

DaChef

Smash Rookie
Here's a quick recap on the whole DLC situation and the big talking points based on my perspective at the proverbial table:

-SE DLC is virtually inevitable. Geno, Sephiroth, Crono, Erdrick, and Luminary are the most heard names. Slime was heard literally once and Sora is out according to pretty much every insider including Vergeben, Xenother, and Hitagi. Who is considered most likely changes from person to person.

-Namco DLC is pretty likely. Lloyd and Yuri from the Tales series are the most heard names and pretty much no one else. Despite this, it doesn't mean either will necessarily get in.

-Monster Hunter DLC might have some evidence in the game's data but it's hotly debated.

-Minecraft DLC pretty much solely comes from the word of Vergeben's most trusted source. Nobody else has seen anything, leading people who actually play tested Pirhana Plant and the base game to call him out. Unless Vergeben's source is hardcore sitting on the evidence, nothing has been seen.

-Some people have argued that RARE data is in the game but, again, it's inconclusive. Right now, RARE's a ghost otherwise unless evidence is being withheld.

-Ubisoft is surprisingly also a ghost. Again, could be another possible case of an insider with deep JNCO Jean pockets but, from what I've seen, there seems to be a (largely) mutual respect among insiders and evidence is shared freely.

-Sigh of relief: no shill characters are being considered at this time. Everyone that's being seriously implied would be received pretty well, in my opinion. Strangely enough, no first or second party characters yet.

-Aside from Pokemon Sun and Moon, no games originally released past 2015 seem to be in serious consideration for DLC content right now. Makes sense as this was when the project plan was drawn up.

-My own smelly observation: No Hyrule Warriors content in the base game despite Koei-Tecmo being on board. No evidence for DLC right now though, squashing my earlier theories that it was already being considered.
Oof! I guess this eliminates any slim hopes I had for Rex still showing up.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
SE DLC is virtually inevitable. Geno, Sephiroth, Crono, Erdrick, and Luminary are the most heard names. Slime was heard literally once and Sora is out according to pretty much every insider including Vergeben, Xenother, and Hitagi. Who is considered most likely changes from person to person.
I mean, I have absolutely no ties with you guy but on my end of lonely guy who got lucky and got information for base game, there already had Square-Enix rep echoes back then. I heard 4 Square-Enix Names back in October/November
>Geno
>Crono
>Dragon Quest Hero (No name or game which is surprising but would add up with the Erdrick/Luminary competition)
>Sora

This was all before the Vergeben's DM leak and some people can confirm it- But I wouldn't be surprised if my friend got his hand on the list beforehand.

That's what make it interesting. Because so far,seems that all information add up to what was leaked and what you guys says.

And with the amount of people talking about the SE rep. If we don't get one. It would truly be such a surprise that I would like to understand how that Rumor started.

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord
I mean, I have absolutely no ties with you guy but on my end of lonely guy who got lucky and got information for base game, there already had Square-Enix rep echoes back then. I heard 4 Square-Enix Names back in October/November
>Geno
>Crono
>Dragon Quest Hero (No name or game which is surprising but would add up with the Erdrick/Luminary competition)
>Sora

This was all before the Vergeben's DM leak and some people can confirm it- But I wouldn't be surprised if my friend got his hand on the list beforehand.

That's what make it interesting. Because so far,seems that all information add up to what was leaked and what you guys says.

And with the amount of people talking about the SE rep. If we don't get one. It would truly be such a surprise that I would like to understand how that Rumor started.
I really hope that, if there is no SE DLC, the talks were just to get Clould back, and the whole narrative about it was just gossip that got big.
It would be sad but comicaly so

Last edited:

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice

I think with the Hyrule Warriors thing, even though it was pretty big, the fact that no content is in the game at all is probably just because Sakurai didn't think to add any. Maybe. Also, honest question. What do you mean by Ubisoft ghosting? Aren't Rayman and other characters from them in the game as Spirits? (Sorry if I sound dumb lol)

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
https://s.inside-games.jp/article/2018/11/24/118908.html
This is a poll taken by a Japanese magazine asking readers to vote for their most wanted Smash SP DLC characters. Not sure if it was posted yet.
I'm surprised Crash is so high. I thought he was a western thing. Good to see my boi Geno place, and unsurprisingly, Dee takes first (I'll be incredibly surprised if he doesn't make it at this point). With Sora out of the picture, it looks like we really may be the most likely!
That's cool is interesting to see that the Japanese fans basically want the same thing US fans want.

I'll never understand the love for Bandana Dee though
Japan loves their cute things (And I do too)

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think with the Hyrule Warriors thing, even though it was pretty big, the fact that no content is in the game at all is probably just because Sakurai didn't think to add any. Maybe. Also, honest question. What do you mean by Ubisoft ghosting? Aren't Rayman and other characters from them in the game as Spirits? (Sorry if I sound dumb lol)
Ghosting in the sense that there's no evidence to DLC. As of right now, Ubisoft content ends with the base game.

Just a circlejerk over made up rumors and "insiders" rehashing the same made up stuff from days ago. I imagine this is how mental disorders spiral out of control.
I'm already human garbage so debilitating mental illness would be totally deserved I suppose.

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213
https://s.inside-games.jp/article/2018/11/24/118908.html
This is a poll taken by a Japanese magazine asking readers to vote for their most wanted Smash SP DLC characters. Not sure if it was posted yet.
>Suddenly Sora
Lol

Anyway, comments regarding Geno:
>Because Sakurai said himself that he wants to add him
>You think of this guy when you mention heroes from Mario universe
>I want to see Geno Cutter 9999 again!

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I want to recall the number of voters there and the fact that this is only one magazine.
This has been going around on the internet for quite some time though, and I still need to find the source for this:
https://i.imgtc.com/COf52oG.jpg
> I don't trust your voting source

> Here is my untrustworthy (and outdated) source

Just a circlejerk over made up rumors and "insiders" rehashing the same made up stuff from days ago. I imagine this is how mental disorders spiral out of control.
Interesting you bring up mental disorders while using that avatar. But that's none of my business

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
> I don't trust your voting source

> Here is my untrustworthy (and outdated) source

Interesting you bring up mental disorders while using that avatar. But that's none of my business
It's not that I don't trust his source. It's that it represents a very small part of the japanese fanbase. I wasn't backing this one I posted as well, I just said this one was flying around. Calm down dude. XD

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
It's not that I don't trust his source. It's that it represents a very small part of the japanese fanbase. I wasn't backing this one I posted as well, I just said this one was flying around as well. Calm down dude. XD
What led you to think I wasn't calm?

You just have a history of arguing things in this thread and then posting shoddy information yourself, so I was calling that out

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
>Suddenly Sora
Lol
I mean, as much as Unlikely Sora is for legal reasons. He always was one of the top container when it comes to "wide appeal" magazine and website for Smash and that even for Brawl he was surprisingly high for someone who had "just" three games.

It's when we go into the "smash community" That he was pretty low for a long time, until for the Ballot and for Ultimate where he suddenly got a suddent popularity spike within the smash community.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
What led you to think I wasn't calm?

You just have a history of arguing things in this thread and then posting shoddy information yourself, so I was calling that out
"...shoddy information"
Lmfao
Ok.
I post stuff that is relevant, I don't endorse everything. I post in favor of letting people know what's going around.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The whole VGA thing is yet another log in the cabin to why I believe PolarPanda's source's sources about the Geno rumor. PolarPanda's source literally holds strong physical evidence to the big VGA reveal and it comes from the same type of people who have been giving him info. I've talked about this before but PolarPanda's source's sources aren't just colleagues, they're very heavily implied to be supervisors AKA his boss/bosses. That's why I believe his record has been immaculate. It's one thing if it was stuff being shared around the water cooler or in the mailroom but it's quite another if it's perking up the ears of people during supervisor meetings or even possibly in board rooms. Like I've talked about in the past, this person/these people have a working relationship with Polar Panda's source and seem to actually care about him, giving them little to no incentive to lie to his face as shown by his 1:1 standing record.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
-Aside from Pokemon Sun and Moon, no games originally released past 2015 seem to be in serious consideration for DLC content right now. Makes sense as this was when the project plan was drawn up..
So the DLC were considered back when the project plan was made? That... surprisingly fits one of my theories if true.

Starting to wonder if some of these characters were planned but got pushed to DLC for time constrains/3rd parties wanting more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom