• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I don't really even care for Sora but this aspect flat out sucks. By the account, it was really dismissive to the point that it may not have even been discussed. "Hmmm, Sora. Nope. Next..." That sort of thing. It's then implied that Square doubled down because they saw the pushback as insubordination, basically slamming their fists down when it seemed like the creators were actually going to try to start an online campaign to get Square to change their mind. Stereotypical but that would absolutely not fly in Japanese work culture and would be considered a grave insult to authority.
I feel bad for Nomura if this is true.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
because I dont want to put my hope for my most wanted character behind something that seems baseless
Every rumor and Insiders leaks are "baseless" even if it comes from Sakurai himself leaking it, until it's officially revealed.
Until then it's just coffe talk and office talk, with speculation.

beans

Smash Lord
Oh uh. Yes i was drinking Ice Cap from Timmies. If you have questions, do ping me or contact me on Discord. There's really nothing new i have to say unless it's regarding questions about what we have heard.
Did SE really do it dirty to Nomura like that?
Is there anything confirming that SE really went full asshole outside of one specific claim?

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I think that's why there has been a lot of clashes with this too. "Why would Geno be the one chosen to talk about more, especially against Sephiroth, one of the most iconic video game villains out there? Hello?! Are you that profoundly stupid?!" It's that sort of thing and why lines in the sand have been drawn so strongly especially since the source said that nobody knows what was ultimately decided. Going back to my joke yesterday, Welcome to Speculation Hell! One, the other, both, none? Who ****in' knows?! It's a real nail biter no matter how you slice it.
Is it really that out there when thinking of all the things brought up over the past month or so? SE has been stingy as **** when it comes to adding in FF content with the 2 song total being a big red flag. It really may be an issue where the whole music rights ****show (especially the rights to One Winged Angel) made it more amenable to add Geno than Sephiroth.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Every rumor and Insiders leaks are "baseless" even if it comes from Sakurai himself leaking it, until it's officially revealed.
The only thing you can ever go off is a leakers track record or the possible quality of the shared sources between leakers.

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
Well yeah, but theres an obvious difference between someone who has been right multiple times vs someone I've never heard of claiming something.

beans

Smash Lord
Is it really that out there when thinking of all the things brought up over the past month or so? SE has been stingy as **** when it comes to adding in FF content with the 2 song total being a big red flag. It really may be an issue where the whole music rights ****show (especially the rights to One Winged Angel) made it more amenable to add Geno than Sephiroth.
Doubt it that music would be trouble.
If someone came in and said before Cloud was revealed that FF, a franchise with one of the most amazing OST in pop culture, would have only two tracks in Smash, I would go why even bother with the character.

SE could just get the rights for the character and be done with it.
They wouldnt stop the process only for music.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice how legitimate would you consider this info? I know Polarpanda's stance is that it's fairly untrustworthy. And is there a general consensus among insiders?
Well, they verified their source via LinkedIn so we know it's an honest to god person that it supposedly came from but I can't say how they were connected with Square Enix aside from very close. For all we know, it could be extreme bait or maximum trolling especially since they singled out Panda's source for the info. This wasn't a jar of cookies spilled on the kitchen floor in front of everyone, this was a cookie deliberately thrown at the back of someone's head like a ninja star to get their attention. If this person has reached out to anyone else, we don't know at this time.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Well yeah, but theres an obvious difference between someone who has been right multiple times vs someone I've never heard of claiming something.
How about someone who clearly have sources tied to Nintendo? Does that answer your question?

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I will say I love Square’s characters, I love their incredible composers. I love the story’s they create, but I loathe some of their business decisions. They are incredibly stingy, and they only give when they can get more in return. The way they cancelled FF15 DLC through a PowerPoint days after Tabata resigned. It shows poor leadership, they should take a lesson from Capcom and Ubisoft. And learn not to be so stingy with their things.

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
How about someone who clearly have sources tied to Nintendo? Does that answer your question?
that's what I'm looking for yeah, but I hadn't seen the fact that this source was close to Nintendo mentioned outside of saying there was a rumor going around at NOA

Freaky Mutant Man

Smash Apprentice
Well, they verified their source via LinkedIn so we know it's an honest to god person that it supposedly came from but I can't say how they were connected with Square Enix aside from very close. For all we know, it could be extreme bait or maximum trolling especially since they singled out Panda's source for the info. This wasn't a jar of cookies spilled on the kitchen floor in front of everyone, this was a cookie deliberately thrown at the back of someone's head like a ninja star to get their attention. If this person has reached out to anyone else, we don't know at this time.
Now I just have the mental image of a man bloodily yanking a shuriken out of the back of his head, only to find a note reading "geno or sephiroth"

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
In the long run just be happy if this is true you guys got so far.

Lara Croft didn't even get an invite and she's one of the most recognized female video game characters.

Yes, I won't shut up about this.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
The fact it sounds dickish its a reason I want it to be fake.
But it is SE and the fact it is something that totally would happen, makes me sad.
How did they come to thus point.
They got there by basically every marvellous artist and passionate developer from the classic era to leaving the company after FFIX with the merger with Enix.
Most of these guys are now freelancers, work at Monolith, Nintendo, Sega and Bandai Namco. It's quite a heartbreaking story if you have followed it since the old FF days on the NES.

Last edited:

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
So what we can take away from this (assuming this is legitimate), Square went sicko mode.

Also, damn, look at the guests!

beans

Smash Lord
Do you mind explaining?
The image I have is that:

SE denied Sora without giving him much tought.
Nomura reacted to it by asking to reconsider.
SE doubled down on the qucik reject.

Do you know if the scenario I just described has anything that makes it possible?
Would SE do that?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
They got there by basically every marvellous artist and passionate developers from the classic era to leave the company after FFIX with the merger with Enix.
Most of these guys are now freelancers, work at Monolith, Nintendo, Sega and Bandai Namco. It's quite a heartbreaking story if you have followed it since the old FF days on the NES.
That's basically what I meant about Nomura being their last Life-Support lmao

Freaky Mutant Man

Smash Apprentice
They got there by basically every marvellous artist and passionate developers from the classic era to leave the company after FFIX with the merger with Enix.
It hasn't really stopped, either; there's a reason IO Interactive broke away from Square for Hitman 2.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I guess I can now say my opinion on this.

I have a very hard time believing that if Geno did indeed go into serious negotiations that he won't end up playable. The biggest hurdle has always been getting Square to actually consider him. In the Brawl days, the relationship between the companies just wasn't there. In Smash 4, Sakurai scratched their back by first adding Cloud as their company mascot and opening the door for Geno (even getting a mii costume and using SMRPG music in the reveal trailer). In Ultimate it was time for SE to scratch Nintendo's back and include the character that their fans have been making noise for for well over a decade.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Honestly, if we have to get a Square rep that’s not Geno, I’d be totally okay with Sephiroth over others, since there’s potential move variety with such a ridiculously-long sword. I just hope that we don’t get him and Lloyd.

Also, it makes sense to me that Sora was immediately shot down because Square doesn’t exactly... own him. If Disney deigned as such, they could cut Square out of negotiations entirely and take the full profits.

Last edited:

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
The image I have is that:

SE denied Sora without giving him much tought.
Nomura reacted to it by asking to reconsider.
SE doubled down on the qucik reject.

Do you know if the scenario I just described has anything that makes it possible?
Would SE do that?
I haven't heard anything about SE denying Sora from our end, that's pure speculation on your parts.
Edit: Inaccurate

Last edited:

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
because I dont want to put my hope for my most wanted character behind something that seems baseless
If me verifying my source with multiple mods and older members such as Fatmanonice, Indecisive Fisher, etc. isn't enough to show you I'm legit, I don't know what else will. I've been completely transparent. I can't give out personal information to more people, I've already told way too many to prove myself.

beans

Smash Lord
User was warned for this post; double posting
That's basically what I meant about Nomura being their last Life-Support lmao
Thats like having one good guy working, dropping tons of work on him, and then eating a banana and leaving the peel in front of him.
He has the right to be pissed and when he reacts, he just gets btfo out harder.

I haven't heard anything about SE denying Sora from our end, that's pure speculation on your parts.
okay

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I will say I love Square’s characters, I love their incredible composers. I love the story’s they create, but I loathe some of their business decisions. They are incredibly stingy, and they only give when they can get more in return. The way they cancelled FF15 DLC through a PowerPoint days after Tabata resigned. It shows poor leadership, they should take a lesson from Capcom and Ubisoft. And learn not to be so stingy with their things.
That cancellation was a ****show. Everyone who bought the DLC pass got memed in the face, the project was left unfinished and destroyed. 33 million dollars in losses. S-E really needs help.
This is why, as much as I love FFVII, I'm extremely afraid they will ruin the Remake to no end.

Shaboba

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1760-9183-5135
I can't believe there's a possibility we'll get Ridley, King K. Rool and Geno as newcomers all in one Smash game. That's insane (and awesome).

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Honestly; what I feel will do Sephiroth in, in the end is his sword. Now I'm not saying Sakurai wouldn't be able to complete the task of making him viable for Smash, but I WILL say it would be extremely difficult. Especially if Sakurai got to choose from a list; like people have speculated.

Edit: I mean look how long it took for him to get over Ridley related stubbornness...

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I do hope whoever the 2nd Square Rep is that Square gives a decent amount of music. With the amount of money they lost with the Luminous project 33million. And the loss of Tabata, and countries cracking down on their loot boxes. They could use the money that comes from partnerships with other companies, and if they want to keep Nintendo happy. They need to be willing to be more cooperative like Bandai Namco, Konami, Capcom and Sega.

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
If me verifying my source with multiple mods and older members such as Fatmanonice, Indecisive Fisher, etc. isn't enough to show you I'm legit, I don't know what else will. I've been completely transparent. I can't give out personal information to more people, I've already told way too many to prove myself.
man, its nothing against you, and I wasnt aware you had verified yourself to that degree but like I said. I dont want to put my hopes up. Out of curiosity, I was wondering, and I dont mean to be rude, but are your sources fairly new? because I've heard rumors you were one of the biggest supporters of blog theory

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
that's what I'm looking for yeah, but I hadn't seen the fact that this source was close to Nintendo mentioned outside of saying there was a rumor going around at NOA
Polar's source is very strongly connected to NoA. This has been verified. First and last name. Face. Social media accounts for no less than 5 sites. Their track record is pristine except when they reach with their own speculation. In other words, they haven't been wrong about anything when they've directly reported what they have heard. The origin of the SE source is also verified to be a real person and connected to Square Enix in a meaningful way. I hope that clears things up.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
The story coming down to Geno vs Sephiroth. Lol. The most obvious ones of them all in terms of Smash connections.
Occam's Razor?

just out of curiosity, why should we trust the sources in this thread?
I mean PolarPanda has proven themselves to several people in this thread specifically, however, the SE information is with a grain of salt. Someone came to Polar directly, and this info is not through Polar's source who they trust. So there's no real reason for you to trust the info, but I trust Polar being transparent with us so I don't think they'd lie.

I agree. I wonder if it's a business thing. Like they want fans to only find Square characters and Square music in Square Projects. Playing devil's advocate, why would we give out more than two songs for Cloud? If you want to hear the rest of the amazing Final Fantasy music, this is a sneak peek and you can find the rest in Final Fantasy games and soundtracks. That's all revenue that goes right back to us, directly.

I personally think thats kind of alienating, but it may be an explanation.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, I would like to point out something that really speaks volumes about this community. We just found out that Geno could very well have gone into intense negotiations to become the next Square Smash character, something many have been waiting for for years, but we decide to focus more of our attention and frustrations on the idea of Nomura getting disrespected after all of his hard work and dedication to the company. I think that says a lot about the character of the Geno community, and the Smash community in general.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
man, its nothing against you, and I wasnt aware you had verified yourself to that degree but like I said. I dont want to put my hopes up. Out of curiosity, I was wondering, and I dont mean to be rude, but are your sources fairly new? because I've heard rumors you were one of the biggest supporters of blog theory
I was the person who created blog theory and was interviewed by Gamexplain, actually. I've known my contact for quite a long while, however, his info is very sparse and he didn't know how many were left for a long while. He's a blog ambassador, so he typically gets information close to reveals. However, in the past week or so, I've become friends with other people in the community, so I have more contacts than just him. For instance, as was publically disclosed here, I'm friends with Xenother.

Incidentally, I also believed Grinch until he got word of Grinch being fake and Isaac being an AT. For obvious reasons, I began taking his information very seriously and decided to go public with the occasional bit he'd give me. I should have been more trusting when he knew Isabelle was the only reveal in the August direct along with the new AC game being revealed in it as well. So, I won't lie that I had a different public identity before I started to spread his info. That's in the past, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom