• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just woke up to Kingdom Hearts fans saying that they don't have to prove they are right, I have to prove they are wrong

I guess they've never heard of Carl Sagan

"extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I just woke up to Kingdom Hearts fans saying that they don't have to prove they are right, I have to prove they are wrong

I guess they've never heard of Carl Sagan

"extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"
Lol the only Carl Sagan I know of is the Mario Maker one! Carl box!

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
Okay wow...Not to knock on KH fans in general, because that'd be an unfair generalization, but that kind of argument is such an obvious copout.

We live in a world of speculation and guesswork. If you have evidence supporting your arguments, you're gonna make sure that evidence is heard loud and clear. Especially in this environment, with so many characters seemingly deconfirmed.

This is totally unrelated, but every time I listen to Lifelight, I pretend the line "Colors weave into a spire of flame" is a stealth reference to the Geno Blast. ;)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Sora makes less and less sense as time goes on:

-Last KH game was released on a Nintendo platform 6 years ago.

-Owned by Disney which is now a theme park competitor with Nintendo.

-No mainline games on Nintendo platforms.

-All remakes and remasters swerved Nintendo platforms.

-Currently no plans for KH III (or any for that matter) on Switch.

-Based on the above, is a direct competitor with Nintendo's JRPGs.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
-Slimey
-Steve
-Katalina

Im sorry but am i the only who think this is actually a really bad ending to the roster?
No, you're not the only one. The real ending to the roster should be:

- Banjo & Kazooie
- Geno
- Crash Bandicoot
- Dixie Kong
- Bandana Dee

But It's not very likely we are going to get all these characters, especially with the recent announcement. Bandana Dee and Dixie Kong though could have a better shot now.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
No, you're not the only one. The real ending to the roster should be:

- Banjo & Kazooie
- Geno
- Crash Bandicoot
- Dixie Kong
- Bandana Dee

But It's not very likely we are going to get all these characters, especially with the recent announcement. Bandana Dee and Dixie Kong though could have a better shot now.
Look at you trying to sneak Crash in there as if he has anywhere near the support as the other 4 listed.

If anything it should be Rayman

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Look at you trying to sneak Crash in there as if he has anywhere near the support as the other 4 listed.

If anything it should be Rayman
Actually, Rayman could go in Bandana boi's place on my list. as for Crash, he's the most iconic PS1 character that isn't in Smash yet and he deserves to be up there with his follow PS1 icons Snake and Cloud.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Except Vergeben was never the one to say Katalina was in
This. Hitagi claimed Katalina but later walked it back by saying negotiations were early on and that there was strong evidence that they fell through anyways. Another thing, Verge has only said "Minecraft content" and never went into specifics. He never claimed Steve or a stage, just "content" so it could honestly be spirits for all we know.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
-Slimey
-Steve
-Katalina

Im sorry but am i the only who think this is actually a really bad ending to the roster?
Imho, outside of it being pretty much a Deconfirm for Geno, I think I would quite enjoy news of slime. If I had to pick one non-geno SE Rep for smash It would be him. Steve and Katalina can just leave though.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
I would honestly get really mad if its him
yea. if theyre gonna pick a generic rpg enemy at least pick one that isnt boring. i cant see them doing more than one generic enemy fighter though, nintendo probably doesnt want ultimates roster to look like those deviantart fan ones with literally every character on them

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
I would honestly get really mad if its him
yea. if theyre gonna pick a generic rpg enemy at least pick one that isnt boring. i cant see them doing more than one generic enemy fighter though, nintendo probably doesnt want ultimates roster to look like those deviantart fan ones with literally every character on them
I totally understand the sentiment. I'd be disappointed too, even if he's my second choice (and it's perfectly okay for him to be nowhere near that on yours).

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
I mean if generic is the thing, it wouldn't have to be an enemy per say. Black Mage would work fine from SE. FF1 characters were silent protags, so they never had personalities in their game.
IF Black Mage got in, I wouldn't be happy but...I could be okay with that.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
I mean if generic is the thing, it wouldn't have to be an enemy per say. Black Mage would work fine from SE. FF1 characters were silent protags, so they never had personalities in their game.
IF Black Mage got in, I wouldn't be happy but...I could be okay with that.
i meant generic more as "boring design and appears everywhere", not personality wise

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
The only possible obstacle in our way is slime/dragon quest rep. Because they might choose them to promote Dragon quest in the west and the game in general. Yes, for some strange reason Nintendo and square enix both want to make it popular in the west. But i still have hope for Geno.

Xigger

Smash Lord
I think it would be interesting to research favorite characters for Nintendo's elites. Who would Miyamoto, Reggie, or President Furukawa want? Which third-party game creators are they close friends with?

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
Am i the only person would be fine with Katalina and steve? I like Katalina as a character so i wouldn't be against it. Banjo and kazooie deserve it more imo, but i wouldn't throw a fit if it was Steve. Piranha plant is the best example. Just like piranha plant he is he us a generic skin of minecraft and little to none wants him. However, possibly like piranha plant, he could be cool character no one wanted and wants to main. So just because it's a character you don't want doesn't mean u shouldn't give it a chance or disregard it.

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Here is my DLC speculation list:

-Geno
-Bandana Dee
-Elma (If Xenoblade X port) King Boo (Because Luigi's Mansion 3, promotional character and is the main antagonist.)
-Rayman or a Namco rep: Lloyd, Heihachi, or Don-Chan (Yes , freaking Don-Chan.)
-Banjo & Kazooie or Steve.

I don't think starting off with a Dragon quest character is gonna be a Good idea for the Smash fans. He's an anime swordman (And Slime will really make people think generic ennemies are considered, because PP) , and even if he is different : He lack request , we already got 3 swordmen in the DLC for 4, and is overdone. And Sora is even less likely ; just read Fatmanmonie post on the matter. So yeah, Geno is the obvious pick for me.

Bandana Dee is the most recurring and popular Nintendo all-star After Dixie Kong to not be on the roster. Dedede's Victory animations in Ultimate with Waddle Dees are changed, the Waddle Dees are not there anymore. Meta Knight New Final Smash has some references to Star Allies. He could promote Star Allies, or even a new game. Simple but cute design.

I don't think we're getting a Three Houses FE rep. Promotional character or not , Sakurai know this will make the community angry, even the FE fans agree that they don't need anymore characters in Smash. ESPECIALLY LORDS WITH A SWORD.
And Elma and King Boo were the two most popular and promo material characters in my opinion.

Rayman, I'm biased. Second most wanted newcomer , but could definitely happen. Rabbid Mario is a Spirit, so Ubisoft is on board. He's the most obvious Ubisoft rep.
For the Namco rep, Lloyd and Heihachi had mii costumes, could promote a Tales of or Tekken game for the Switch... And Don-Chan already has a game on the Switch ; Taiko no Tatsujin Drum'n'fun , and yeah, It's localized in America and Europe. Could be a Good character to promote the franchise.

Banjo & Kazooie/Steve : Theses two characters would make the smash community go nuts. Yeah Steve isn't requested , but we can't deny that Minecraft is HUGE. And Banjo & Kazooie are litteraly the most requested Third party with Geno , since Melee.

I know this is the Geno thread, but I wanted to Share my thoughts with you all.
I really think Geno is gonna get announced first so that people are more likely to buy the fighter pass. I mean , they did it with Mewtwo, announcing him soon After the game release , and everyone was hyped by him. (Honestly , if DLCs ended at Cloud, it would have been perfect. No offense to Corrin and Bayonetta, but they don't have a Big hype factor.)

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Going back to Nintendo for a moment, lots of people are underestimating their judgement when it comes to choosing appropriate characters for DLC. Nintendo knows how Smash Bros. works, they are aware of the fans obviously due to massive sales the series always receives. What it really boils down to is making a profit (as many always point out, they are business). When it comes to Smash Bros., there are generally two audiences: casual and hardcore. In order to maximize profits, I believe Nintendo chose characters that would appeal to both audiences. For example, perhaps they chose a generic enemy as one character, and then someone like Geno or Banjo (hopefully both) for another. I don't think we should lose faith in Nintendo's decisions, we just have to see how it all plays out; Nintendo has been very good with handling DLC these past few years. They're not stupid, they're not ignorant, and for the most part they aren't disconnected from their fans.

Also, we have to take into account that Sakurai will be choosing from the list of characters Nintendo provides. If Nintendo makes a bunch of dumb choices, I'm sure Sakurai has the power to reject characters until they get it right, being the director of Smash and whatnot. Only time will tell what will happen, but don't lose all hope for Geno and your other favorite characters just because Sakurai isn't choosing the characters. Nintendo ain't dumb when it comes to DLC.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745

As far as official renders go, there's also this, though it wouldn't really be a good introduction to Geno or his abilities. :p

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
This. Hitagi claimed Katalina but later walked it back by saying negotiations were early on and that there was strong evidence that they fell through anyways. Another thing, Verge has only said "Minecraft content" and never went into specifics. He never claimed Steve or a stage, just "content" so it could honestly be spirits for all we know.
Hitagi actually just said Katalinas in again 2 days ago

"LC"_Lapen

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 6950 2675 8190
Is there an HD version of this? The Geno render looks pretty damn cool.
It's rare as balls so no, this is as high quality as we're going to get. Even finding the thing is an exercise in futility, and you can guess how high the price was for those that sold in the past.

As far as official renders go, there's also this, though it wouldn't really be a good introduction to Geno or his abilities. :p
I have never seen this before, Jesus this makes the models we have seen look like high art. And Mallow looks like that Burt the Bashful boss from Yoshi's Island, sans nose.
burt.jpg

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
if he's flip flopping like that i have a hard time believing him. (also 2 days ago was when hitagi said katalina wasnt in)
"As far as Katalina, I haven't really been on top of keeping up with it but as far as I remember things were looking good so we'll see"

As of 23 hours ago

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Slime is the only acceptable alternative to Geno in my mind seeing as he is an actual franchise mascot and one of the biggest Japanese characters in gaming not represented. He’s not a specific protagonist that wouldn’t bring much new to the table and he would necessitate a brand new and unique move set.

Honestly, all the protags seem horridly dull in comparison to Slime and Geno. Sora isn’t much better as he’s the same anime swordsman that people always complain about (and I’m sure some of those people complaining are the same people supporting Sora either by contrarian nature, or a “It’s ok when MY character is one” ideology).

2B would be slightly more creative I feel, but she’s already in Soulcalibur VI and I just don’t see her being chosen.

Bravely Default has no real support and isn’t big enough to justify a character in the game, and again, I don’t find any of them interesting in the least bit.

Neku could work and would be pretty alright for the music he’d bring, but he’s also not super popular casually or with the fans.

Other Final Fantasy characters to me seem like a bit of a waste when you can draw upon all these other IP from Square and you already have freaking Cloud. And the modern ones are especially boring and unlikable protags.

Finally Lara Croft I’ll actually put in as my third choice for Square, mostly just because I want Smash to accidentally end up the best PS1 era representation of PlayStation All-Stars for the fun of it. We’ve already got Cloud, Richter Belmont, and Snake, Lara Croft and Crash Bandicoot would then make Ultimate the best PlayStation fighting game as well. Though her use of guns will probably prevent her from being in.

So if I had to rank potential Square reps:

1. Geno
2. Slime
3. Lara Croft
4. Neku
5. 2B
6. Classic Final Fantasy characers (VII and before)
7. Sora
8. Octopath (Too new)
9. New FF Character
10. Bravely Default

Edit: Forgot Chrono somehow. I love Chrono Trigger, but he’s also not exactly interesting and also basically dead forever at this point. I’d put him around number 4 or 5 for CT’s music alone though.

Last edited:

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Honestly, all the protags seem horridly dull in comparison to Slime and Geno. Sora isn’t much better as he’s the same anime swordsman that people always complain about (and I’m sure some of those people complaining are the same people supporting Sora either by contrarian nature, or a “It’s ok when MY character is one” ideology).
i mean, sora is a gijinka mickey mouse pretty much. not saying thats better than dull anime swordsman or that he isnt also one, but thats basically all he is

slopdop

Smash Cadet
I'm sorry I couldn't resist but I love that puzzle render of Geno and it kinda reminds me of that Syndrome picture from Incredibles.
I would honestly love to commission an artist to recreate that puzzle render for us.

Last edited:

owjies

Smash Journeyman
If Sora is seeming less likely now, I guess it's down to Geno and Dragon Quest as the most likely Square reps. Just that idea alone is pretty exciting. I think the release of Dragon Quest XI gives that franchise the edge, but I think the Mii Costume from Smash 4 shows that Geno's popularity shouldn't be underestimated. For Geno to defy the odds this time, I think the Mii Costume would've had to sell really well alongside strong turnout on the ballot.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
If Sora is seeming less likely now, I guess it's down to Geno and Dragon Quest as the most likely Square reps. Just that idea alone is pretty exciting. I think the release of Dragon Quest XI gives that franchise the edge, but I think the Mii Costume from Smash 4 shows that Geno's popularity shouldn't be underestimated. For Geno to defy the odds this time, I think the Mii Costume would've had to sell really well alongside strong turnout on the ballot.
I think so too, but I'm talking about this on another site and I was told that to get a Dragon Quest character Nintendo would have to go through Square Enix, Armor Project, Akira Toriyama and Koichi Sugiyama, who all hold rights to the series.

Slime is one of the most iconic faces in Japanese gaming and probably would justify the effort on his own, but if he doesn't then I don't think there's anyone left other than Geno, who is already in the game via a costume and icon.

All of this is assuming there is a guaranteed Square rep, though. Vergeben could be wrong.

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
So are we really expecting an announcement at VGA regarding DLC for smash.
I think its mostly going to be waiting till Sakurai mentions something I would imagine.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
So are we really expecting an announcement at VGA regarding DLC for smash.
I think its mostly going to be waiting till Sakurai mentions something I would imagine.
If they really have only now solidified the list then probably not. They'd have a month to create a character for presentation.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
If the list has recently been "finalized," it seems hard to believe even one being ready to show. However ... if a basic model is created without showing moves ... maybe. Or even the CP of it?

Another thought could be numerous "beta" characters were created and 5 have been chosen to proceed with further development. Still, I can't imagine how polished they could be IF that was the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom