• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Just pre-purchased my copy of Smash. I can say that Piranha Plant is a stupid character, but I'm actually kind of excited to play as them because their moveset looks like a lot of fun in my opinion.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
jon talks about geno, the entire thread will soon explode. also a lot of the stuff they're saying isnt true lol. geno isnt a spirit, mario rpg released in europe with the snes classic, and geno has a fanbase in america as well, as lots of japan based polls have geno still coming on top, even ones dating back to 2006.
It really confuses me when people who more less give hot takes on games for a living get such base level things wrong.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Kirby Star Allies just revealed an entirely new mode with 4 new characters! Now THAT'S DLC done right. Now let's see Nintendo do that level of DLC brilliance with Smash ;)

RingJ5

Smash Ace
I just hope when our boi gets in, his up B is good and he has throw effects like Ness but with stars
My dream Up-B for Geno would be a bit like a timed-hit variant of the shotgun from an older indie game called No Time to Explain.

You hit Up-B, you can then aim a shot in 360 degrees with a huge backblast. Timing it correctly and pressing B right before the shot fires changes the power and whether you can act out of it, or are stuck in freefall.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Kirby Star Allies just revealed an entirely new mode with 4 new characters! Now THAT'S DLC done right. Now let's see Nintendo do that level of DLC brilliance with Smash ;)
DrchDQtUwAEeFFd.jpg

And looks like my spider boy is finally going to be DLC

And Marx right there on the picture too!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I want a Kirby fighting game made by Ark System Works that uses this cast. Idk why ASW specifically, I just do.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Just pre-purchased my copy of Smash. I can say that Piranha Plant is a stupid character, but I'm actually kind of excited to play as them because their moveset looks like a lot of fun in my opinion.
Not only do they look pretty fun, but as discussed earlier in this thread, their potted design is specifically from an old SMRPG ad. So even if we somehow don’t get playable Geno, we have, amusingly, one of the few character designs related to the game that Square doesn’t own the rights to.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I heard people saying that Spawn Wave SAID that Sora was DLC and that he'd be at the VGA

But after watching PapaGeno's video and seeing his exact quote, that doesn't really seem to be the case

I wasn't sure if that was true, but I heard people saying he said it. I don't even know who he is but his name has been around a lot lately.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Not only do they look pretty fun, but as discussed earlier in this thread, their potted design is specifically from an old SMRPG ad. So even if we somehow don’t get playable Geno, we have, amusingly, one of the few character designs related to the game that Square doesn’t own the rights to.
I don't know people assume the pot is only from SMRPG though. Piranha Plant has been showing up in a pot more frequently and is probably most recognized in Mario Kart 8 in being a pot.

They even have their own species listed as Potted Piranha Plants

https://www.mariowiki.com/Piranha_Plant_(potted)

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
I think what people are mostly saying is that the pot shares a very close likeness to the ones seen in the SMRPG ad...Even more so than the other pots we’ve seen in subsequent games.

What’s more, that ad (ie, that game) was the first time we saw them in pots like that, as far as I know.

Not that this connection confirms anything...But it’s a really cool nod.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
I think what people are mostly saying is that the pot shares a very close likeness to the ones seen in the SMRPG ad...Even more so than the other pots we’ve seen in subsequent games.

What’s more, that ad (ie, that game) was the first time we saw them in pots like that, as far as I know.

Not that this connection confirms anything...But it’s a really cool nod.
Yeah, the spikes on the leaves are also quite similar as well.

As that Wiki article states, there was a single earlier time with a very, very different design in the Super Show cartoon, but the Japanese ad is the first time that potted Pirahna Plants were used by Nintendo, with a design that’s very similar to the Ultimate appearance.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
I'm now imagining a Croco Spirit battle involving King K. Rool with Bob-Ombs appearing occasionally . Just think of the other SMRPG Spirit battles we could get.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I think what makes me wanna have him the most is to see all the tear jerking fan drawings of him reuniting with Mario and the gang after 2 decades.
Bowser, in typical fashion, would try to just push it aside and just act all "whatever" about it, but secretly would be happy about it.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Seems kind of fitting that FFXV would end with a s***show. Oh well, hopefully Tabata splitting from SE works out for both Tabata and SE.

I don't think this really reflects on Geno's chances?

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Seems kind of fitting that FFXV would end with a s***show. Oh well, hopefully Tabata splitting from SE works out for both Tabata and SE.

I don't think this really reflects on Geno's chances?
I was under the impression people liked FF15?

It didn't seem like the kind of game I'd play, but I thought it was liked by the wider audience

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce

It didn't seem like the kind of game I'd play, but I thought it was liked by the wider audience
I personally loved 15. But I hated how they have been focusing so much on it that we haven't heard anything about a 16. I want the next story.

I doubt it affects Geno though. He offers them pure profit chance. And if anything, they can't be too picky right now. Though I bet they make up that loss with KHIII and FF7 Remake

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I don’t think anyone loved 15, it was a flawed experience, but enjoyable if you took it for what it was.

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
What does square have to worry about? All they are doing is allowing Nintendo to use Geno. 1. They get money from them just using him period and from how much he sells as dlc which will be a lot. I say he is still a lock as a playable character aka DLC.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was having an argument with some Kingdom Hearts fans that claim Sora is not owned by Disney and is, in fact, owned completely by Nomura. Disney just has the rights to use the character.

They claim their source for this is some youtuber.

I don't know what youtubers are spreading around these days but Disney merchandise of Sora clearly shows they own the character.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
It had its fans and certainly had its haters.

I was definitely part of the latter group.
It was kind of a meh game at best, final boss was really easy and after I beat the main story, I just unlocked all the music for the car/mp3 and just rode around on my Chocobo, not much else to do (except maybe fighting the Adamantoise, which takes around 3-4 hours to kill, kind of ridiculous imo). :ohwell:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I think we shouldn't Freak out if we ever see Geno as a Spirit.

Sakurai pretty much ported over most miis costumes (Even Chrom. So yeah, Robin can call Chrom in his FS to kick Chrom's butt while a Mii with a Chrom outfit is watching.) so when he saw Geno , he must have been like "Hey , let's make him a Spirit for now. I don't think SE will make me pay for such an old render. ". It's not like "Oh lol he's not in so here is your 3rd place medal" but something that doesn't need much effort to do.

A Spirit battle doesn't need much, It's pretty much an event match with some customs stats. If he did so much , what is another one? And what is removing ONE SPIRIT? Or simply , keep it because It's cool and Geno isn't in the Story mode wich Spirits are only used in ?

And even then , it would be a Good introduction for New players if he is DLC , he won't be a complete "who?" to a casual fanbase.

Or maybe I'm just grasping at straws.

The only thing I have to said is :
-A spirit and his battle take even less time than making a 3D smashified render for trophy. It's just a JPEG and a funny scenario.

Edit : Spelling error.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-15-dlc-canceled-director-hajime-taba/1100-6463112/

View attachment 176632

(Link and Image isn't connected other than by topic)

Looks like Square ain't doing that hot.

I'm not sure if this effects Geno's chances.

...could?
To be honest, this has basically been Square Enix since the PS1. Square Enix is notorious for going way over the top with their projects, dragging them out for years only for them to 1. Be cancelled or 2. Cost so much that even successful games barely get them a net profit. This is probably the reason they hardly actually own a vast majority of their own IPs.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Other people have pointed that out because Nintendo has been really, really good at listening to fans as of late. Pretty much all the DLC for first and second party games has been homeruns in the last two years. Also, think about all the stuff that had happened because of fan demand: Animal Crossing Switch, Luigi's Mansion 3, Mario Party going back to the old style, Mario Tennis returning to form, Wario Ware returning to form, console Pokemon games, open world Mario and Zelda, the SNES Classic a year after the NES Classic, Metroid Prime 4 and Samus Returns, etc. A lot of these are things that people have been begging Nintendo for years for. Nintendo's has been killing it up and beyond levels we've ever seen these past couple of years.

Retro18

Smash Rookie
Quick Question, since Geno already used his render from SMRPG for his token. Would they use the same render for a spirit IF he has one. Cuz I noticed Zero and Klaptrap's token renders are different from their spirits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom