• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
I recall seeing Simon requested quite a bit even back in the Brawl days. He appeared in a lot of character select mock-ups too, though they used his Chronicles appearance. Though he wasn't a poll topper or anything like Sonic or Geno. But to say nobody was talking about him at all is a little reductive.
I don't mean to say nobody talked to him, I just didn't see him on anywhere near the same level of discussion as the ones I mentioned. Could just be my own personal experience. But what I was refuting was him being the most requested, definitely not on the level of Brawl Sonic.

Vergeben can't even make up his mind for his so-called predictions. You're putting way too much faith in him. As for Ridley, that was another easy pick. No cuts for Smash 4 isn't good enough evidence.
I advise you take a closer look at his history with Ultimate without the bias. He hasn't gone back on anything he's said thus far. He has multiple sources, too, it's not just him and him alone. One source did say "no new DK reps", but even before the Smash Direct Verg called that source out as suspect.

I wouldn't even say I have "faith" in him, either, he's just the leaker I'm watching most closely. You're free to believe him or not, I just thought writing him off as BS was ignorant when he has yet to be wrong thus far.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Doesn't Vergeben have one of the most accurate leak history out of leakers? Critics say "he hasn't always been 100% correct." They're not doubting his track record, they're comparing him to 100% perfection. Isn't that quite a high bar?

Last edited:

kingkalamari

Smash Cadet
4chan leak makes safe guesses based on what Verg has already said, then has additional information that conveniently deconfirms two fan favorites. this would require having insiders in two third party studios, or having knowledge to the entire base game and only deciding to deconfirm two popular characters. Not buying it.

NukeA6

Smash Master
I don't mean to say nobody talked to him, I just didn't see him on anywhere near the same level of discussion as the ones I mentioned. Could just be my own personal experience. But what I was refuting was him being the most requested, definitely not on the level of Brawl Sonic.

I advise you take a closer look at his history with Ultimate without the bias. He hasn't gone back on anything he's said thus far. He has multiple sources, too, it's not just him and him alone. One source did say "no new DK reps", but even before the Smash Direct Verg called that source out as suspect.

I wouldn't even say I have "faith" in him, either, he's just the leaker I'm watching most closely. You're free to believe him or not, I just thought writing him off as BS was ignorant when he has yet to be wrong thus far.
Well whatever then. I don't trust the guy and his so-called "sources". That's that. I'd rather not derail this thread any further.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Only thing I'm disappointed in is the nook ********* at the end

I was hoping he was in

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
How are we feeling about Geno now guys?
Have you guys seen this yet? it has me a little worried. :/
dude Vergeben already leaked isabelle FAR before this. and Isabelle was the character leaked after simon and his leaks seem to be going in a row for reveals. it's easy for a random no name to jump on his info and make it look like he knows

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
guys, Nintendo, Sakurai and even Square Enix knows how much Geno is wanted, not just in smash, but in video games in general

why do you think he got a mi costume in the first place? oh yeah! to quote sakurai!

Interviewer: And that's why you included him as a Mii Costume this time around?

Sakurai: Yes. He's incredibly popular. Even though he's an old character, we keep getting loads of votes and requests for us to put him in the game. Even though he still isn't in as a playable fighter, I made sure he'd be in as a Mii costume so his fans would at least feel that they got something.

and who exactly got this same exact reasoning for a mii costume... KING K ROOL! :3

we will get geno

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
You act like leakers never get much discussion. Almost every one of them get attention (i.e. remember Karate Joe?)
Here's the difference: Vergeben has given people reasons to trust him and hasn't gotten anything that can be called outright wrong so far. We dropped stuff like Tower of Smash once they're proven to be fake by getting things wrong because they all claim they're assured, and while Verg has said that any leak without Simon and Isabelle is fake, he hasn't said anything that could prove him otherwise. EG. let's say he claimed that Daisy was 100% not going to be in or that there'd only be six new characters total; that'd definitely give everyone a reason to drop him, but if he only says that Simon, Isabelle, Ken, a pokémon and Square character are in, then there'd be nothing to disprove him with.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Here's the difference: Vergeben has given people reasons to trust him and hasn't gotten anything that can be called outright wrong so far. We dropped stuff like Tower of Smash once they're proven to be fake by getting things wrong because they all claim they're assured, and while Verg has said that any leak without Simon and Isabelle is fake, he hasn't said anything that could prove him otherwise. EG. let's say he claimed that Daisy was 100% not going to be in or that there'd only be six new characters total; that'd definitely give everyone a reason to drop him, but if he only says that Simon, Isabelle, Ken, a pokémon and Square character are in, then there'd be nothing to disprove him with.
Ok, last time I'm gonna mention Vergeben in this thread: he has said any leak without Ken is fake. If Ken isn't playable, well I shouldn't have tell you about this leaker's credibility.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Ok, last time I'm gonna mention Vergeben in this thread: he has said any leak without Ken is fake. If Ken isn't playable, well I shouldn't have tell you about this leaker's credibility.
Okay, leaving my last comment on him too. If Ken's not in, he won't be trusted anymore, but until that happens, he will be discussed where he is concerned.

Autobot N

Smash Apprentice
I know people are disappointed but we have to remember that Geno is a Literal Who™ to most casual players. Hell, a lot of the remaining popular picks kind of are and everyone new shown aside from Daisy arguably is so Isabelle definitely hits that sweet spot of pleasing casual players. Give it time, lads and lasses, another Smash Direct is a lock and I wouldn't be surprised if we got two given how much content is still obviously left to cover.
Yeah, I never expected Geno to be announced in a regular Direct. But a dedicated Smash Direct? That's definitely possible.

Also, add me to the supporter list, please.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yep, no Geno, but at least SE is getting more in the picture.

Worth looking out for a smash direct sometime. hopefully not too far off.

tyrus+

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6650-4457-4607
I trust Verg. Really hoping Geno is that last Square rep.
It's very likely him, to be honest. Sakurai has his rights and he knows about Geno's popularity, and he himself wants him. Isabelle's reveal was a blessing in disguise, it basically confirmd Verg's credibility, and Verg is very confident that there's a 2nd SE rep.

tyrus+

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6650-4457-4607
are u guys saying u dont think geno has a chance any more?
Actually, his chances are higher. The only thing that could pretty much 100% guarantee that Geno is in is if Verg says he is the 2nd SE rep.

Last edited:

aquasound

Smash Rookie
Geno may possibly have a bigger role in the potential Spirits mode, warranting his reveal in a Smash direct, rather than a general direct. Don't lose hope guys!

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
With all that support from Square coming to the Switch, I’d expect them to get another rep. My prediction is that Geno will be revealed soon. I can see another SE newcomer character coming in as DLC later.

Geno Mario RPG

Smash Rookie
All I hope is the Vergeben leak being real. I'm pretty sure he has gotten some leaks wrong but no active Smash Leaker I know is 100% credible. It's simple choice of characters makes it more believable but then again, leakers are smart and can make anything sound credible. Remember that one Rayman leak for Smash 4? The creator had to debunk because of how real it looked.
Well that's at least what I was told.

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Isabelle being a newcomer is actually underwhelming to me unless they just had so much extra time to make her that way. I still see Geno as very likely. I don't see him being revealed until close to release though. Maybe even DLC. Harder to say after seeing Isabelle get Newcomer status.

domriver

Smash Lord
There is a lot of FF/Square games coming out ... which means the relationship is strong/getting stronger between Nintendo and Square. Which can be good for Geno. However, Isabelle took up another New comer slot ... makes me worry honestly.
That certainly seems to be the case with all this Square Content coming out for the switch. It certainly bodes well for Geno inclusion. Yes also this certainly causes a bit of concern regarding Isabelle bein an entirely newcomer. hmmmm

To be honest, I'm kind of glad Geno didn't get announced today because my heart was on the verge of exploding after all the Square Enix announcements. Holy ****... 7, 9, and both 10s on a Nintendo console for the first time... I never thought I'd see the day.
Same here!

The huge amount of Square enix love MEANS something guys. Don't forget that. If they are willing to give nintendo that much liberty, Geno's chances are just higher than EVER.

Isabelle being in means another AT being playable. That's good news. Mii costumes and ATs are definitely being picked up for being playable. We just gotta keep hoping for next directs.

Reminder to everyone that today neither Isaac nor Skull kid nor Geno have their chances reduced at all. The only thing that happened today is that we know which of the two leakers we can finally believe and who we dont. Verg wins today once more, regardless of how you feel about him. Let's hope next reveal is our guy time :) peace
Let is hope! :)

Geno may possibly have a bigger role in the potential Spirits mode, warranting his reveal in a Smash direct, rather than a general direct. Don't lose hope guys!
This is what im thinking as well. I hope we are right about this! :D

AugustusB

Smash Champion
With this direct, all the SquareEnix love, Geno is strongly considered more than ever! Do you all feel the same?

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
The more I think about it, the more Isabelle is a good sign for literally every one of my top 5 characters.

Banjo - Verg's credibility rises. Verg said Minecraft content (meaning Microsoft, which could, but not might not, lead to Banjo)
Geno - Also Verg, being a Square-Enix rep. Additionally, Isabelle is another Mii costume that became playable, furthering the trend for our puppet boi
Dixie - Dixie might still be an Echo, but her chances are now even higher with the added possibility of her being a semi-clone. This would make her more hardcore fans a lot happier
Shadow - Isabelle being a semi-clone narrows the remaining competition for Echoes. Shadow and Ken are definitely the likeliest two right now
Isaac - Probably the least affected, but Isabelle is another AT to get the playable promotion, giving more credence to characters like Isaac and Skull Kid. Shadow, too

All in all, while she herself is a bit underwhelming personally, she could be a blessing in disguise for a lot of our most-wanted characters. I think the next Smash Direct in October/November will be a doozy.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
The more I think about it, the more Isabelle is a good sign for literally every one of my top 5 characters.

Banjo - Verg's credibility rises. Verg said Minecraft content (meaning Microsoft, which could, but not might not, lead to Banjo)
Geno - Also Verg, being a Square-Enix rep. Additionally, Isabelle is another Mii costume that became playable, furthering the trend for our puppet boi
Dixie - Dixie might still be an Echo, but her chances are now even higher with the added possibility of her being a semi-clone. This would make her more hardcore fans a lot happier
Shadow - Isabelle being a semi-clone narrows the remaining competition for Echoes. Shadow and Ken are definitely the likeliest two right now
Isaac - Probably the least affected, but Isabelle is another AT to get the playable promotion, giving more credence to characters like Isaac and Skull Kid. Shadow, too

All in all, while she herself is a bit underwhelming personally, she could be a blessing in disguise for a lot of our most-wanted characters. I think the next Smash Direct in October/November will be a doozy.
Only issue is that with each reveal, the window for newcomers becomes narrower and narrower. I don't think they're all going to make it in.

Autobot N

Smash Apprentice
Only issue is that with each reveal, the window for newcomers becomes narrower and narrower. I don't think they're all going to make it in.
If I had to guess the remaining newcomers/echos, I would say the following:
Incineroar
Shadow (echo)
Ken (echo)
Dixie Kong (echo)
Geno

Last edited:

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Very true. I do think another Smash Direct is a given, and that will probably have 2 newcomers + a few Echoes, while also going over online multiplayer and the Spirits mode.

Beyond that is a bit more questionable. We could get other general Directs, we could get a Robin-type solo reveal, we could even get two Smash Directs for all we know. I'm hopeful we get the news sooner than later, as the closer we get to release the higher the chance of another ESRB-type leak.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm still confident in Geno, even though the Square stuff at the end of the Direct felt like a big tease. I'm also glad Bandana Dee, Decidueye, and Shantae weren't deconfirmed either.

GenoREBORN

Smash Rookie
Isabelle as a full fighter narrows our new full fighter count to 1-2 more if we take Sakurai literally (he said “a few,” meaning 3-4 —> K. Rool, Isabelle, ???, ???). Looking at the official site, Geno fits perfectly at #70 and he’d also be new full fighter #7 (notice both 7s from his game title). I predict Isaac for #69. Skull Kid will be a boss and Pokemon has Pokken. FINAL PREDICTION: Isaac and Geno will bookend the Smash October Direct.

Dan

Smash Lord
Isabelle as a full fighter narrows our new full fighter count to 1-2 more if we take Sakurai literally (he said “a few,” meaning 3-4 —> K. Rool, Isabelle, ???, ???). Looking at the official site, Geno fits perfectly at #70 and he’d also be new full fighter #7 (notice both 7s from his game title). I predict Isaac for #69. Skull Kid will be a boss and Pokemon has Pokken. FINAL PREDICTION: Isaac and Geno will bookend the Smash October Direct.
People need to stop with the character numbering meaning anything, seriously.

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
Really pleased to see the love for Isaac in here! Geno is my number 2 after him, so I'd be stoked to get either. Geno's odds seem better and better each day!

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I'm going to throw my hat in the Vergeben arena for a second. He's definitely on track to be the most reliable leaker, but I do think what he has failed to mention stands out a lot. The biggest thing being in the fact he didn't actually know of the no cuts applying to the whole franchise, he just said from Smash 4 to Ultimate there wouldn't be any. I see people falsely give him that credit all the time, and that's one of the sticking points for me as to putting him in on shaky ground. Everyone is Here is such a massive part of Smash Ultimate's advertising and overall theme, that I can't help but wonder how that was missed. I get he mentions multiple sources and that is an issue that gives him a damn near unlimited amount of wiggle room (Seriously, it absolves him of all responsibility in the event that he is wrong. He has generally been considerate enough to not just mention any piece of information though).

Simon Belmont has been talked about for a while, regardless of how realistic he fit the NES third party theme. Simon is his greatest claim to fame, I'll give you that, but I don't think necessarily the absurd prediction people sometimes frame it as. Similarly, Ridley got mentioned in practically every leak that came around too, so he isn't an unreasonable add either. Unlikely, sure. But all the more validating if they come to fruition.

Again, my big problem is that he didn't know about Daisy, Dark Samus, Richter, or King K. Rool in any capacity. He didn't know that EVERY veteran in Smash history would be returning. His Isabelle knowledge was that she was in the game (Which again gives him the wiggle room regardless of how she turned out). And his biggest claim, the one that would absolutely validate him, the Minecraft content is nowhere to be seen. His handling of saying there was Pokemon rep was also handled very poorly in my mind.

I'm not saying he's all wrong, but he's still got some inconsistencies and questionable choices. Even if he is legit, he clearly doesn't know everything and to expect that is a little unfair obviously, but my biggest problem is that when I look at the evidence, I don't see a legitimate enough case to trust him. He has been undoubtedly correct in predictions. Smash 4 returning, Ice Climbers, Snake, Ridley, Simon Belmont, and Isabelle. Minecraft, Ken, Pokemon, and the second Square rep remain unsubstantiated, while he has missed a considerable amount of info. So I can't say I definitely believe everything he says, or even say I trust him with all that in mind.

Whether his comments help or hurt Geno is another topic entirely, and while they might help, I just don't think investing heavily in him is the solution.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
News from Verg

He apparently has the name of the SE character now. But he's not sure if he can trust the source.

If Verg is legit, we possibly could find out if it's Geno.

If he doesn't name Geno, it's still possible he's not legit....lol.

"I heard a name from someone recently as to who it might be, but it came from someone claiming to know it along with "confirming" other information that I had heard.
They might just be trying to fool me into believing what they are saying so that I say it to mess with me and try to harm my credibility so I'm not going to say who they claim it is until I get responses back from my sources that point in a direction proving whether or not there is anything to what they are saying. "

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77000204?page=1

---

Could Verg be the chosen one? The prophet?

Last edited:

tyrus+

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6650-4457-4607
News from Verg

He apparently has the name of the SE character now. But he's not sure if he can trust the source.

If Verg is legit, we possibly could find out if it's Geno.

If he doesn't name Geno, it's still possible he's not legit....lol.

"I heard a name from someone recently as to who it might be, but it came from someone claiming to know it along with "confirming" other information that I had heard.
They might just be trying to fool me into believing what they are saying so that I say it to mess with me and try to harm my credibility so I'm not going to say who they claim it is until I get responses back from my sources that point in a direction proving whether or not there is anything to what they are saying. "

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77000204?page=1

---

Could Verg be the chosen one? The prophet?
Hopefully his sources confirm that it's Geno.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Hey, what do you guys think about the whole Peachette thing? I am pretty sure the Mario lore community is losing its mind right now trying to figure this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom