• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Geno and Mallow joining the regular cast in sports games and making cameos and stuff would be great

I imagine Mallow would be a lightweight racer and Geno being medium

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Has there ever been a reason given as to why Nintendo hasn't bought the rights of the SMRPG characters from Square? It's obvious that our huge setback is that, and through all the speculation and questions to actual Nintendo reps a peep hasn't been said about getting the rights. Hopefully if Geno is playable it could be that extra push to get Nintendo to strike a deal with Square.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Has there ever been a reason given as to why Nintendo hasn't bought the rights of the SMRPG characters from Square? It's obvious that our huge setback is that, and through all the speculation and questions to actual Nintendo reps a peep hasn't been said about getting the rights. Hopefully if Geno is playable it could be that extra push to get Nintendo to strike a deal with Square.
They might not find it worth it from a business perspective.

Especially if Square is unreasonable.

Who knows what goes on behind the scenes.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I don't know about a full on revival, but I've always thought that, if Geno ever were to grace Smash, it would be a good sign for him returning as a full on accepted Mario character, to show up in more games after. After Smash, imagine new Mario Karts where Geno is a regular, new Sports games featuring Geno, Mario Parties, etc.
I'd love to see RPG characters in general to get a bigger presence in the spin off games! we have a lot of fun and unique characters to work with! all the paper mario partners, Fawful, etc.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
So, I decided to dig into the old Brawl Geno thread. Basically, I wanted to see what they were discussing leading up to the game. Yesterday(Monday, 7/9/18) was 151 days from release. So, I went to 151 days before Brawl's release to see what they were talking about.

From the week of Sept. 2 - Sept. 8, 2007, Geno fans were discussing Geno's competition from the Mario side of things. Namely, Bowser Jr. being a potential better option. However, some anti-Geno people even brought up Shy Guy, stating he was more relevant to the Mario series. Intersting...

Another thing that was discussed in a minor way was how to pronounce "Geno." Soft 'g' or hard 'g'. As in, "Jee-no" or "Ghee-no." Most everyone seemed to pronounce his name like "Jee-no."

Minor thing brought up that not many people commented on was Geno's height. Would he be shorter or taller than Mario? Thoughts? Personally, I think he would be slightly taller that Mario.

Also, people who had recently played through SMRPG were discussing how much Geno actually spoke. Most people think he is a silent character, but he actually speaks quite a bit. I would say Mallow probably speaks more than him, but other than that, he speaks a lot. And most of the time, it is meaningful plot points that he brings up.

And, lastly, our very own PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate was talking about working on some Geno fan art. I didn't look ahead to see if he finished it, but I hope we will find out next week!

I think I am going to try and do this every Monday. Mainly to see where they were in their thoughts of the character and to give us some other things to talk about in this thread. Like height, Geno's role in SMRPG, etc.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So, I decided to dig into the old Brawl Geno thread. Basically, I wanted to see what they were discussing leading up to the game. Yesterday(Monday, 7/9/18) was 151 days from release. So, I went to 151 days before Brawl's release to see what they were talking about.

From the week of Sept. 2 - Sept. 8, 2007, Geno fans were discussing Geno's competition from the Mario side of things. Namely, Bowser Jr. being a potential better option. However, some anti-Geno people even brought up Shy Guy, stating he was more relevant to the Mario series. Intersting...

Another thing that was discussed in a minor way was how to pronounce "Geno." Soft 'g' or hard 'g'. As in, "Jee-no" or "Ghee-no." Most everyone seemed to pronounce his name like "Jee-no."

Minor thing brought up that not many people commented on was Geno's height. Would he be shorter or taller than Mario? Thoughts? Personally, I think he would be slightly taller that Mario.

Also, people who had recently played through SMRPG were discussing how much Geno actually spoke. Most people think he is a silent character, but he actually speaks quite a bit. I would say Mallow probably speaks more than him, but other than that, he speaks a lot. And most of the time, it is meaningful plot points that he brings up.

And, lastly, our very own PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate was talking about working on some Geno fan art. I didn't look ahead to see if he finished it, but I hope we will find out next week!

I think I am going to try and do this every Monday. Mainly to see where they were in their thoughts of the character and to give us some other things to talk about in this thread. Like height, Geno's role in SMRPG, etc.
I have no idea if I did, but I know I wasn't very good at drawing Geno back then.

It also might have been uploaded to a service that doesn't exist anymore.

I don't think pictures could be directly uploaded through smashboards back then

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I have no idea if I did, but I know I wasn't very good at drawing Geno back then.

It also might have been uploaded to a service that doesn't exist anymore.

I don't think pictures could be directly uploaded through smashboards back then
Oh well. I just figured it would be fun to take a look back and see what the old Geno fans were dealing with then. I guess I could look at the Sm4sh Thread as well.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Oh well. I just figured it would be fun to take a look back and see what the old Geno fans were dealing with then. I guess I could look at the Sm4sh Thread as well.
I agree on looking back at these past threads. Good way to reinvigorate literal decade old discussions. As for what I think on the topics, Geno's competition is less on the Mario side and more on the Square side, but even that is not too major. I think everyone pronounces it like Jee-no, and they said it like that for the mii costume, so that is dead and buried. I think he is either the same size or larger than Mario. When it comes to his speaking role, he talked quite a bit, and quite a bit was needed exposition if I recall. Was the old thread trying to figure out whether he would speak in game or just be completely silent?

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Was the old thread trying to figure out whether he would speak in game or just be completely silent?
It was basically just a discussion on whether he spoke at all during the old game. Most people didn't realize that he spoke in SMRPG. And, those who did know, didn't realize how often he spoke in the game. It wasn't really a discussion on whether he should speak in Smash or not,

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Re-downloaded a "lost" copy of ACID Music Studio that came as a bonus for Vegas. I've never been into making music but Ultimate has me excited to the point where I'm down to try and make a Beware the Forest's Mushrooms remix.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Oddly enough, I've always pronounced his name as "Jen-o" since I was a kid. I didn't grasp at the time that his name was meant to be of a general Italian feel, like Mario. Even now that I know how it's pronounced, I still sometimes call him that, lol.

Of course, this is coming from the guy who also called Ristar "Ry-star" instead of "wrist-ar," and Chao as "kay-o." I wasn't a very bright kid.:p

MattX20

Smash Hero
Just liked that original post. Would love to be added as a supporter.

I see Geno being announced solo as well. Unless something crazy, like the Mario Ace Tennis leak ends up being real. That's the only way that I could see Geno being announced with another character, like K. Rool.

But, I have a feeling that Geno won't be showcased until after release. I really wish he would be shown off asap, but it feels like he could be an easy secret.
I don't think Geno would be kept secret though given his demand. He's likely one of the remaining newcomer reveals to keep the game's hype alive until it does come out. Most secret characters in Smash that aren't revealed prior to release in most cases are ones that are added last in the development cycle such as Wolf in Brawl or Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt in the last game.

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
As
PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate mentioned 3rd party characters never really got a CGI movie style reveal. Megaman did. However, Since Sakurai personally WANTS Geno in and knows that he knows he is in demand for it I see a delicious reveal on the horizon for Geno. I just dont know how it would all begin. Does Geno's doll appear out of nowhere? Do we see a starlike light coming down from the skies? oooooooo its exciting just thinking about it lol. I know Sakurai won't let us down. He gave Ridley a beautiful reveal trailer. such detail and loved it. every second. jejej

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I don't think Geno would be kept secret though given his demand. He's likely one of the remaining newcomer reveals to keep the game's hype alive until it does come out. Most secret characters in Smash that aren't revealed prior to release in most cases are ones that are added last in the development cycle such as Wolf in Brawl or Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt in the last game.
Thank God for that. It would be so cool if Geno gets announced soon. Once Geno gets announced the tension will be over and I feel like I could relax lol. I'm preordering the game and his amiibo asap. *sigh I hope he gets announced soon*

PolarisJunkie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PolarisJunkie
3DS FC
0361-7305-7321
Would love to be included in the supporters for Geno. Super Mario RPG was one of my favorite Mario games growing up and its still memorable all these years later. I'm excited to hopefully see some representation in the new Smash in any form, but especially Geno.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
As
PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate mentioned 3rd party characters never really got a CGI movie style reveal. Megaman did. However, Since Sakurai personally WANTS Geno in and knows that he knows he is in demand for it I see a delicious reveal on the horizon for Geno. I just dont know how it would all begin. Does Geno's doll appear out of nowhere? Do we see a starlike light coming down from the skies? oooooooo its exciting just thinking about it lol. I know Sakurai won't let us down. He gave Ridley a beautiful reveal trailer. such detail and loved it. every second. jejej
My exact words were "The only 3rd party character that got a fully animated trailer was Mega Man. NONE of the others. "
Mega Man's been in 3 of the animated trailers, none of the others have.

We don't know WHY that is.

It could be any number of reasons.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
My exact words were "The only 3rd party character that got a fully animated trailer was Mega Man. NONE of the others. "
Mega Man's been in 3 of the animated trailers, none of the others have.

We don't know WHY that is.

It could be any number of reasons.
Maybe despite all of Capcom's... faults, they are surprisingly loose on what you can use Megaman for. I mean, they allowed him to be impaled in the Ridley trailer, and robot or not, it is surprising that a company would allow one of their biggest icons be impaled by another company's villain.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Maybe despite all of Capcom's... faults, they are surprisingly loose on what you can use Megaman for. I mean, they allowed him to be impaled in the Ridley trailer, and robot or not, it is surprising that a company would allow one of their biggest icons be impaled by another company's villain.
...And unfortunetly if I would have to guess which company is the exact opposite of that, it would probably be Square Enix.

Though I'm surprised Sega hasn't allowed Sonic to appear in them. Or Sakurai could just not like Sonic.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
...And unfortunetly if I would have to guess which company is the exact opposite of that, it would probably be Square Enix.

Though I'm surprised Sega hasn't allowed Sonic to appear in them. Or Sakurai could just not like Sonic.
It seems both Sonic and Cloud have been hit with "Similar skin syndrome" because of their parent company's. All of their skins are very close to each other, likely to keep the same iconic appearance. Nintendo and Sega may be on very friendly terms, but Sega has a titanium grip on their icon. I think Bayonetta is not as much a victim of this due to Nintendo saving her series from it's death, so Nintendo has a lot more control of how they can use her, at least I think.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I really wish Sonic got some different costumes. Sure, don't change his color, but give him some cool gear from Sonic Racing. Stuff like that.

domriver

Smash Lord
It seems both Sonic and Cloud have been hit with "Similar skin syndrome" because of their parent company's. All of their skins are very close to each other, likely to keep the same iconic appearance. Nintendo and Sega may be on very friendly terms, but Sega has a titanium grip on their icon. I think Bayonetta is not as much a victim of this due to Nintendo saving her series from it's death, so Nintendo has a lot more control of how they can use her, at least I think.
LOL the thought of Geno and Bayonetta in a CGI trailer lol. That would be sooo wicked. jejejejej

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
I would hope Geno is able to get a proper CG trailer. They have so much atmosphere in them.
What I would want to see more, however, is Geno in in-game cutscenes. I really want this game's story mode to have some sweet cutscenes.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

SO MUCH RAW POWER PULSATING FROM THIS ONE, SINGLE VIDEO.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
I don't like obscure one off side characters in Smash, mainly because I think more notable characters deserve it.

However Sakurai wanted to add Geno in Brawl and gave him a costume and acknowledged his popularity in the polls, plus he already has Square's support, it is looking like he will be playable. And I love Super Mario RPG and I think Geno is a cool character who would have a cool moveset, plus it will make it possible for him to reoccur in Mario games

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

That video is basically the gist of Geno evidence and I liked some of the extra evidence you can see on the board. It was kinda insightful as I have not really looked into those old Brawl polls.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That video is basically the gist of Geno evidence and I liked some of the extra evidence you can see on the board. It was kinda insightful as I have not really looked into those old Brawl polls.
I have some info on them in the op

Although I think they are technically melee polls

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

He missed the part of 2 third parties per company concept

Sonic/bayonetta

Megaman/ryu

Snake/Simon Belmont (suposivly)

So it would make sense for cloud/geno and Pac-man/heihachi or Llyod Irving so it's evened out

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman

Okay that was actually a lot of fun and well put!

so I already knew about the mii costume interview. but went to the link just to be sure and read through it and it hit me

Sakurai has gone ON RECORD to say that HE WANTS TO MAKE GENO A CHARACTER
do you know how HUGE that is?! how often has he said that about a requested character?!

You know what I'm 100% convinced now. Geno is in and he is in the base game. This is happening!

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Okay that was actually a lot of fun and well put!

so I already knew about the mii costume interview. but went to the link just to be sure and read through it and it hit me

Sakurai has gone ON RECORD to say that HE WANTS TO MAKE GENO A CHARACTER
do you know how HUGE that is?! how often has he said that about a requested character?!

You know what I'm 100% convinced now. Geno is in and he is in the base game. This is happening!
It definitely helps his chances that Sakurai's comments were made not long before Ultimate's roster was finalized in 2015. Geno may have had perfect timing in this case.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It was said in the thread and was brought up in the video, Ridley, K.Rook and Geno are really the Smash candidate Tri-force.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
It was said in the thread and was brought up in the video, Ridley, K.Rook and Geno are really the Smash candidate Tri-force.
The holy trinity is reborn!

Well, technically, we have two of the three from the original holy trinity of Smash 4 speculation (Mewtwo and Ridley). So I'm down for a new holy trinity. How about King K. Rool, Geno, and Isaac? Seems to fit the bill pretty well to me (Also, damn makes me more sad King K. Rool hasn't made it in given he's just as much up there with Geno in terms of huge fan demand and being a big topic since the time of Brawl).

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Either there is no update today on the smash site or it's taking a long time.

In the Brawl days, a long update meant a BIG update. Like a character

I wonder.
what has been the usual timeline for updates? to me it's felt like it's always been fairly late in the day but I don't check that often.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
The holy trinity is reborn!

Well, technically, we have two of the three from the original holy trinity of Smash 4 speculation (Mewtwo and Ridley). So I'm down for a new holy trinity. How about King K. Rool, Geno, and Isaac? Seems to fit the bill pretty well to me (Also, damn makes me more sad King K. Rool hasn't made it in given he's just as much up there with Geno in terms of huge fan demand and being a big topic since the time of Brawl).
The holy trinity of Ridley, K.Rool, and Geno is the franchise wide speculation. The undisputed icons of Smash speculation and breaking perceived limits. Ridley for his constant presence in Smash and one of Nintendo's villainous icons while being held back by gameplay, K.Rool for his huge popularity as an underused series villain who fights against relevancy, and Geno as the pinnacle of cult classics and a representative of Mario RPG's who fights against legal barricades and the view of one off's. That is how I see them at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom