• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It was spread around through the rumor mill for a while that a Star Fox racing game was in the works, and that was proven false by the most recent Direct in February.
That doesn't mean Nintendo created the hoax. It just means somebody created a hoax and spread it around. Did Sabi even confirm it was related to Nintendo, or just said it was a hoax? I remember the latter from her posts.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
It was spread around through the rumor mill for a while that a Star Fox racing game was in the works, and that was proven false by the most recent Direct in February.
Yeah, we know that much, but we don't know if Nintendo deliberately fabricated that as a whole hoax or not. It could have just been very mismanaged games of telephone.

ETA: Aw heck, ninja'd.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's if he actually turns out to be true. I'm of the mind that given Square's history, I can't trust anything regarding the Erdrick leaks as they have jebaited leakers numerous times before, and given that Nintendo themselves have done so recently with Star Fox Grand Prix being an industry hoax, it's harder to take certain other leakers seriously when they got significant information wrong. I want solid proof of concept that Erdrick is indeed our Square rep.
My thoughts as well, I'm positive of Geno in this pass.

That doesn't mean Nintendo created the hoax. It just means somebody created a hoax and spread it around. Did Sabi even confirm it was related to Nintendo, or just said it was a hoax? I remember the latter from her posts.
Yeah, Polar said it was an industry hoax, and Fatman confirmed Nintendo was the one who used it as leakbait:

Hey, you guys want something really juicy? Star Fox Grand Prix never really existed. It was an industry hoax. That's all I'll say on this subject.
@ZenythSmash can corroborate this.
It was but I don't recall anyone but I think Emily Rogers thinking it would be this Direct. Especially with the recent Metroid Prime 4 news, I can still see it happening although... As a number of people are now talking about, Star Fox Grand Prix was leakbait and possibly never existed at all and I'm kind of wondering if the Prime Trilogy is too, seeing how Nintendo itself tried to use it as such for the VGAs and it caught quiet a few people. I guess another big talking point of yesterday is that Nintendo is actually a lot more aggressive with leak bait than we originally imagined.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Ads can be faked, and they can be faked even by nobodies to look like they are Nintendo official.
If it's so easy, why hasn't anyone (as far as I'm aware) bought out an ad and linked it to the website to prove it yet?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
If it's so easy, why hasn't anyone (as far as I'm aware) bought out an ad and linked it to the website to prove it yet?
Probably because they don't want the Nintendo ninjas coming at their door. Unlike something like the Grinch leak, this kind of thing is back-traceable. They can get into some hot water for it.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Probably because they don't want the Nintendo ninjas coming at their door. Unlike something like the Grinch leak, this kind of thing is back-traceable. They can get into some hot water for it.
It think this is a fair point, but to play devil's advocate it also means that, assuming the leak is fake, which I think it is, the person who did it would have had those ninjas at their door, right? If they're involved enough in Smash speculation to have gone through these efforts, wouldn't they come out for clout by now?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
It think this is a fair point, but to play devil's advocate it also means that, assuming the leak is fake, which I think it is, the person who did it would have had those ninjas at their door, right? If they're involved enough in Smash speculation to have gone through these efforts, wouldn't they come out for clout by now?
You might think, but if someone did indeed place the ads and it wasn't some messy algorithm stuff (which I'm more inclined to believe, honestly), they probably realized that they could get into some deep **** by the time they'd have come out for clout. If anything, that'd just be postponing the inevitable, but I could see it happening if they got cold feet.

You can run from the Nintendo ninjas, but you can't hide...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So I actually made a Google Ad, and it is easier than I thought, but expensive. Europe has 23 official languages, at $9-$20 per one, meaning $207-$460 per day. Its expensive, but doable. But there is a problem with this, there is no keyword section, which is hidden from the Ad receiver. There is a business category, where you could potentially hid the names, which can explain why only certain spelling or forms of the name aka Doom Slayer but not Doom Guy. If this is the case that would mean that he would have to buy 4 ADs (Joker is official) costing $828 - $1840 PER DAY! So this is either true or we have a dedicated rich troll
There you go. Can we stop treating this as impossible?

(Apologies for tagging you, but you're the only current proof this can be faked)

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
My thoughts as well, I'm positive of Geno in this pass.

Yeah, Polar said it was an industry hoax, and Fatman confirmed Nintendo was the one who used it as leakbait:
The fact that this widely spread and widely agreed upon leak ended up being leaker bait from Nintendo itself is the biggest reason why I still think Erdrick has a strong possibility of being leakbait as well. There are similarities in terms of how widely this leak was spread and how sure people were about it whereas much of what was actually shown in the direct hadn’t been leaked at all.

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
That's really rotten of Nintendo for them to promise an entire video game to us just as leakbait. What about the people who wanted to play Star Fox Grand Prix?

I don't know who they would be, but that still is pretty low...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That's really rotten of Nintendo for them to promise an entire video game to us just as leakbait. What about the people who wanted to play Star Fox Grand Prix?

It's also rotten that leakers are going against their backs too. This can heavily affect sales.

It's a case of two wrongs don't make a right.

D

Deleted member

it's almost as if leakers are violating multiple ndas and other such legal agreements with nintendo and nintendo has the complete and absolute right to weed them out by any means necessary, even if the best way to do so is through leakbait

have you ever considered that we weren't supposed to know about star fox ultra mega racing fun time being a thing and therefore we shouldn't be feeling hurt by it not existing

Ovaltine

Smash Master
have you ever considered that we weren't supposed to know about star fox ultra mega racing fun time being a thing and therefore we shouldn't be feeling hurt by it not existing
I don't even care about Star Fox Grand Prix anymore

Now I just want a game called Star Fox Ultra Mega Racing Fun Time

Dark Angry Oikonny Jr. is a secret unlockable

D

Deleted member

I don't even care about Star Fox Grand Prix anymore

Now I just want a game called Star Fox Ultra Mega Racing Fun Time

Dark Angry Oikonny Jr. is a secret unlockable
star fox ultra mega racing fun time is just the deluxe version of star fox ultra mega racing

sfumrft is coming to the nintendo switch 2 after sfumr is released for the switch literally a day before it's support is discontinued

as the announcement rolls up in the final direct, we all look upon it in shame and utter a collective

"damn they really were right"

D

Deleted member

There you go. Can we stop treating this as impossible?

(Apologies for tagging you, but you're the only current proof this can be faked)
I just have to acknowledge that the username of the only user who's so far provided proof against Google theory is 1.21 Jiggawats.

D

Deleted member

I mean the Google Theory is dead in the waters as far as I'm concerned the ads were already taken down and they don't show up even within the very limited search requirements.

I just think it's straight up dead at this point and even if it wasn't them adding Artorias who is a boss instead of the Main Character from Dark Souls just doesn't make any sense, I don't believe it whatsoever.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Honestly, just don’t trust leakers. Just trust dataminers. Because there the evidence is in the game.

Firox

Smash Master
Honestly, just don’t trust leakers. Just trust dataminers. Because there the evidence is in the game.
I second this. The only time I would ever trust a leaker is if they provide some seriously in-depth gameplay of an unannounced character (ie. shulk). Otherwise, their word is nothing but a fart in the wind.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
it's almost as if leakers are violating multiple ndas and other such legal agreements with nintendo and nintendo has the complete and absolute right to weed them out by any means necessary, even if the best way to do so is through leakbait

The ends don't justify the means. The means determine the end result.

Knowing that Nintendo plants false information about games that don't exist negatively affects my ability to trust them and anything they say regardless of the morality of people leaking secret information. Nintendo doing that is on a completely different level of wrong.

What happens when they put out fake information about a game people actually want? How do they handle the backlash when millions of potential customers realize they were schnookered? How is that good for them or good for gaming?

D

Deleted member

Knowing that Nintendo plants false information about games that don't exist negatively affects my ability to trust them and anything they say regardless of the morality of people leaking secret information. Nintendo doing that is on a completely different level of wrong.
"hey guys welcome to this nintendo direct, a new game is coming ou-"
"HOW CAN WE TRUST YOU WHEN YOU LIED TO LEAKERS ABOUT STAR FOX RACING???!?!?!!?"
What happens when they put out fake information about a game people actually want? How do they handle the backlash when millions of potential customers realize they were schnookered
i'm sure all 65 people who follow and trust leaks that deeply will be incredibly offended

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
"hey guys welcome to this nintendo direct, a new game is coming ou-"
"HOW CAN WE TRUST YOU WHEN YOU LIED TO LEAKERS ABOUT STAR FOX RACING???!?!?!!?"

i'm sure all 65 people who follow and trust leaks that deeply will be incredibly offended
Actually yes, because now there's no way to know anything they say is factual since we know for a fact they themselves put out false information about what was supposedly a major release on their own platform. The fact that they themselves are putting out some of those leaks just makes it worse for them.

Instead of sinking to the level of the leakers, they should just rise above it and maintain the trust and integrity they've built over decades instead of trashing it just because of a few morons breaking NDA clauses.

D

Deleted member

Actually yes, because now there's no way to know anything they say is factual since we know for a fact they themselves put out false information about what was supposedly a major release on their own platform. The fact that they themselves are putting out some of those leaks just makes it worse for them.
there's a difference between lying to the public and lying to a specific group of people performing illegal activities and harming your brand by doing so

it's like if someone steals your lunch at work everyday, so you put some spicy peppers or some **** on it to **** em up a little

like you ain't in the wrong to do so lmao

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
there's a difference between lying to the public and lying to a specific group of people performing illegal activities and harming your brand by doing so

it's like if someone steals your lunch at work everyday, so you put some spicy peppers or some **** on it to **** em up a little

like you ain't in the wrong to do so lmao
It actually is still wrong, because not only are they lying to the public whether directly or not given they know those leakers are leaking what they're told to the public, it's still an immoral and cack-handed way to solve the problem.

If you put poisonous substances in your food at lunch with the specific intent to sicken someone eating it, you would be charged with a felony because intentionally poisoning someone in that sense, even if the poison in question won't actually kill them (which you can't actually guarantee), is still wrong. That's why middle-schoolers face serious consequences when they do stupid things like put Ex-Lax in their teacher's coffee.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It actually is still wrong, because not only are they lying to the public whether directly or not given they know those leakers are leaking what they're told to the public, it's still an immoral and cack-handed way to solve the problem.
they're lying to the leakers, not the public

it's 100% a moral issue on the leaker's part, not the company that's just trying to protect it's brand
If you put poisonous substances in your food at lunch with the specific intent to sicken someone eating your food, you would be charged with a felony because intentionally poisoning someone in that sense, even if the poison in question won't actually kill them (which you can't actually guarantee), is still wrong. That's why middle-schoolers face serious consequences when they do stupid things like put Ex-Lax in their teacher's coffee.
I Said Spicy Peppers

Ovaltine

Smash Master

If you put poisonous substances in your food at lunch with the specific intent to sicken someone eating it, you would be charged with a felony because intentionally poisoning someone in that sense, even if the poison in question won't actually kill them (which you can't actually guarantee), is still wrong. That's why middle-schoolers face serious consequences when they do stupid things like put Ex-Lax in their teacher's coffee.
I mean, I don't see what else can be done when NDA-breaking has been such a common problem. When it gets to this point and all other options have been exhausted, I see why they use leak bait. Heck, look at Mario Kart Tour's closed beta that just came out today. People are breaking NDA left and right. Then we have employees at Nintendo who break NDA. It's a chronic problem that can really hinder the company. They'd obviously choose being dodgy with information over the massive consequences of their real material being leaked out.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean, there's no doubt that Nintendo is lying to someone. This is more of a case of "is it a necessary evil?"

Do two wrongs make a right? No. But in this case, Nintendo aren't doing anything as bad as the leakers are. The leakers should not be spreading private information regardless. Them making leakbait is literally the only way to catch them that's effective. It's a sucky way to do it too.

The problem is, what else can they do? Can they afford to lose revenue because people won't buy their products when they're leaked if it doesn't fit exactly what they wanted? That's a risk for a company. This means they want leakers stopped. NDA's exist for this reason alone. Generally a company wants to hand out information their own way, if sometimes to make the game sound better than it is. They aren't going for a "reasonable review" either. They're going for a "review that makes them look good". It's absolutely bias, but as a company, they need to make money too. Otherwise they won't be a company anymore. That's not even counting royalties for licenses and employee payments either.

Why do you think Nintendo does its own directs? Because they have their own way to hype people up. And it's been effective outside of the Wii U.

D

Deleted member

Next thing you know the leakers ate a jalapeno sandwich for lunch

Which was delivered to their doorstep by Nintendo

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Leakbait is absolutely acceptable I see literally no reason to be upset at a company for protecting their games until they are ready to reveal them. Leaking games honestly does way more harm than good overall from what I've seen and the "leak community" is made up of some of the most toxic and self-important individuals I've seen online

Firox

Smash Master
While I agree that malicious kids putting Ex-Lax in their teacher's coffee is deplorable bull crap, the scenario of someone stealing my lunch is an entirely different moral issue. Nobody is forcing that douchebag to steal my lunch. And might I add that stealing has a special place of loathing in my heart. Of all the different crimes out there, theft has a certain degree of cowardice and entitlement that just makes my blood boil. I have no sympathy whatsoever when a thief gets burned in the act. For them to get screwed up eating my stolen goods is what I call poetic justice, my friend. Maybe, just maybe, they'll think twice next time before being a gutless piece of trash.

It's like how that guy in China got beat up for spoiling the plot of Avengers:Endgame to all the people standing in line. While it seems kinda dumb for people to physically attack him over a movie, you have to realize that there is a certain degree of asshole it takes to do such a thing. He's the kind of person that finds pleasure in the suffering of others—a sadist and living embodiment of what it means to be a troll. Anytime a bully like that gets it through the teeth, I can't help but smile. People need to realize that there's a limit to how slimy you can be before people start pushing back.

With regards to Nintendo, I think the moral of the story is to simply disbelieve the leakers no matter what. It starves them of the attention they crave and allows Nintendo to catch them by using leakbait. As long as you accept that the leakers are full of ****e, then you shouldn't feel disappointed when their baseless claims don't come true.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I mean, I don't see what else can be done when NDA-breaking has been such a common problem. When it gets to this point and all other options have been exhausted, I see why they use leak bait. Heck, look at Mario Kart Tour's closed beta that just came out today. People are breaking NDA left and right. Then we have employees at Nintendo who break NDA. It's a chronic problem that can really hinder the company. They'd obviously choose being dodgy with information over the massive consequences of their real material being leaked out.
To be honest, at some point, especially given the nature of their content, they're going to have to accept that there are going to be leaks. People are way WAY too hyped and excited over this stuff to really keep it a secret.

If Nintendo's that desperate to keep a secret then they need to adopt a fundamentally different development approach. They're like the little Dutch boy trying to plug the clearly crumbling dam with their finger.

While I agree that malicious kids putting Ex-Lax in their teacher's coffee is deplorable bull crap, the scenario of someone stealing my lunch is an entirely different moral issue. Nobody is forcing that douchebag to steal my lunch. And might I add that stealing has a special place of loathing in my heart. Of all the different crimes out there, theft has a certain degree of cowardice and entitlement that just makes my blood boil. I have no sympathy whatsoever when a thief gets burned in the act. For them to get screwed up eating my stolen goods is what I call poetic justice, my friend. Maybe, just maybe, they'll think twice next time before being a gutless piece of trash.

It's like how that guy in China got beat up for spoiling the plot of Avengers:Endgame to all the people standing in line. While it seems kinda dumb for people to physically attack him over a movie, you have to realize that there is a certain degree of ******* it takes to do such a thing. He's the kind of person that finds pleasure in the suffering of others—a sadist and living embodiment of what it means to be a troll. Anytime a bully like that gets it through the teeth, I can't help but smile. People need to realize that there's a limit to how slimy you can be before people start pushing back.
Honestly, if the metaphor wasn't talking about putting stuff in your food that could sicken or even potentially kill whoever's stealing it, I would agree with you. But we have to draw lines somewhere and accept that certain approaches to clear problems simply aren't acceptable regardless of the severity of the problem.

With regards to Nintendo, I think the moral of the story is to simply disbelieve the leakers no matter what. It starves them of the attention they crave and allows Nintendo to catch them by using leakbait. As long as you accept that the leakers are full of ****e, then you shouldn't feel disappointed when their baseless claims don't come true.
This I think is the real answer. I kept telling people not to listen to those soothsayers but nobody wanted to listen to me because the leakers were telling everybody what they wanted to hear. Now look where we are.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
This I think is the real answer. I kept telling people not to listen to those soothsayers but nobody wanted to listen to me because the leakers were telling everybody what they wanted to hear. Now look where we are.
I think that people who living and dying by every word spouted by leakers just haven’t realized that there’s been a clear change in strategy over the past year in how Nintendo handles leaks by now putting out false leaks. It’s like if someone were in charge of bringing you water and for awhile the water is fine but then you find out the water being brought has been poisoned and people have gotten sick from it. But you keep drinking the water because the water the person has brought in the past was fine even though there’s clear evidence the water is now being poisoned.

I really wonder if specific leakers like vergeben get completely btfo regarding E3 if people are still going to move goalposts and play mental gymnastics for them to still be seen as having good information.

Firox

Smash Master
I think that people who living and dying by every word spouted by leakers just haven’t realized that there’s been a clear change in strategy over the past year in how Nintendo handles leaks by now putting out false leaks. It’s like if someone were in charge of bringing you water and for awhile the water is fine but then you find out the water being brought has been poisoned and people have gotten sick from it. But you keep drinking the water because the water the person has brought in the past was fine even though there’s clear evidence the water is now being poisoned.

I really wonder if specific leakers like vergeben get completely btfo regarding E3 if people are still going to move goalposts and play mental gymnastics for them to still be seen as having good information.
There are always going to be sheep to blindly follow the leakers. All we can do is spread the word not to trust them and follow our own advise. Remember that the burden of proof is on them. Just assume that they are full of it until Nintendo confirms otherwise.

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
PLEASE tell me this means we're done listening to leakers and speculating about every single word they say.

I just want E3 to get here already and put all of our concerns to bed.

Firox

Smash Master
PLEASE tell me this means we're done listening to leakers and speculating about every single word they say.

I just want E3 to get here already and put all of our concerns to bed.
Amen, good sir. To be fair though, I would think it OK to speculate on things based on various political and in-game factors such as datamines and such. For example, the datamine of 16 additional character slots should be a decent assumption that we'll be seeing more than one DLC pack in the future. This makes logical sense as well in that Nintendo wants Ultimate to have the longest life possible and there's no reason not to rake in the tremendous amount of cash for all those new characters. Now THAT should be something to be hyped about. Think about it. That would mean we have 14 more characters to look forward to! The chances of any of the most wanted non-assist trophies getting in is huge! Regardless of their chances in this particular set of 5 DLC, that means that Geno, Shantae, Banjo-Kazooie, Sephiroth, and who knows what else are still possibly on the table! Unless Nintendo or their affiliates specifically say otherwise, there's still hope for them.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Amen, good sir. To be fair though, I would think it OK to speculate on things based on various political and in-game factors such as datamines and such. For example, the datamine of 16 additional character slots should be a decent assumption that we'll be seeing more than one DLC pack in the future. This makes logical sense as well in that Nintendo wants Ultimate to have the longest life possible and there's no reason not to rake in the tremendous amount of cash for all those new characters. Now THAT should be something to be hyped about. Think about it. That would mean we have 14 more characters to look forward to! The chances of any of the most wanted non-assist trophies getting in is huge! Regardless of their chances in this particular set of 5 DLC, that means that Geno, Shantae, Banjo-Kazooie, Sephiroth, and who knows what else are still possibly on the table! Unless Nintendo or their affiliates specifically say otherwise, there's still hope for them.
I don't think people should jump the gun about those slots, to be honest. They can easily go unused.

Firox

Smash Master
I don't think people should jump the gun about those slots, to be honest. They can easily go unused.
True, but that would honestly be the stupidest thing Nintendo could ever do. Just look at the freaking math. The MSRB of the game is $50-60. Each DLC character and stage go for what? $4-6? Even with the buy all 5, save $5, you'd be paying $25. That's 50% the value of the game for less than 7% of the roster. Now imagine two more packs for the same value. If you bought all three separate packs of DLC, that's $75. That's 25% MORE than the game itself for only 15 freaking characters! Now consider that Ultimate has sold how many copies? As of May, we're looking at 14 million copies. If even a quarter of those people buy the DLC, that's 262,500,000 good ol' US greenbacks right in their pocket! I know Nintendo can be morbidly stupid sometimes, but please PLEASE tell me they're not THAT stupid.

osby

Smash Obsessed
True, but that would honestly be the stupidest thing Nintendo could ever do. Just look at the freaking math. The MSRB of the game is $50-60. Each DLC character and stage go for what? $4-6? Even with the buy all 5, save $5, you'd be paying $25. That's 50% the value of the game for less than 7% of the roster. Now imagine two more packs for the same value. If you bought all three separate packs of DLC, that's $75. That's 25% MORE than the game itself for only 15 freaking characters! Now consider that Ultimate has sold how many copies? As of May, we're looking at 14 million copies. If even a quarter of those people buy the DLC, that's 262,500,000 good ol' US greenbacks right in their pocket! I know Nintendo can be morbidly stupid sometimes, but please PLEASE tell me they're not THAT stupid.
You know real people make this game, right? People who are already working on the same game for a few years now, and will continue to do so for a year?

Supporting Smash makes financial sense, but development team will want to move on or have a break at some point.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Ultimate's going to last as long as the lifetime of the Switch so the assumption that those empty slots will eventually be used for more DLC is all but certain.

They'll always have more developers to make more DLC. Even if Sakurai himself took a break or retired, Nintendo would just find a new director. Smash is their flagship franchise and their bread and butter now.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
You know real people make this game, right? People who are already working on the same game for a few years now, and will continue to do so for a year?

Supporting Smash makes financial sense, but development team will want to move on or have a break at some point.
Real people, huh? Aren't these the same people that come to work with an IV drip because they can't seem to hand it off to anyone else? While I agree with you that the dev team could easily get burned out on the same game, aren't you making just as much an assumption about their work ethic as I am about their desire to make a profit? Not to mention they could easily just rotate in fresh programmers as they go. Smash is one of Nintendo's greatest cash cows. I have a hard time believing they won't milk this puppy for all it's worth, regardless of who they'll use to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom