• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Here's sort of a weird question: If they added Geno in as a playable character, what artwork would they use for his Fighter Spirit? Those usually use old artwork, and as far as I know, there's literally one piece of official artwork of him (the render) and it's already used for his primary Spirit.
Some characters, like Cloud or the Pokémon Trainers, only use their Smash Ultimate renders for Spirit artwork. Maybe they could do the same thing with Geno and call it Geno (Smash).

Then again, maybe the name wouldn't have to be changed. Lucas and Mewtwo had trophies in Smash before they became playable, and I don't recall those being named, or the trophies from their classic modes having different names. (Though it's been a while; I could be wrong on that)

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
That's another fan rule I'd like to see burn since Ultimate has destroyed almost all of them so far.

It's like the idea that the Lucas and Mewtwo trophies in Smash 4 didn't allow the characters to come back... which proved to be false. If trophies didn't stop a character from being added, I HIGHLY doubt Spirits will.
I have an issue with the whole comparison to Smash 4 and trophies though. The Wii U era was Nintendo was first dipping their toes into DLC practices and Smash was one of the first major games I can remember ending up with DLC. DLC for that game felt very much to have been decided upon much later in the process, to the point where DLC being decided upon AFTER the 3DS game's release seems entirely possible and even possibly at the same time that the Wii U version went gold. I suspect trophies in both the Wii U and 3DS version were planned and made well in advance of the DLC decisions and Sakurai sounded unsure about how certain they were on DLC when they first announced it. We eventually ended up with more DLC, but there was a time when that wasn't certain (https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014...ny-paid-dlc-super-smash-bros-wii-u3ds-moment/). Now his comments might have been a way to avoid revealing further plans, but there was a lot of debate around that period I remember. It's possible with how uncertain DLC was that they didn't really care about as much double checking the trophies or whatever.

Ultimate seems like an entirely different beast. They announced DLC upfront with a clear plan of where things were going post launch. DLC would have been a far more integral part of the overall plan this time around. Sakurai has been said to have checked over the Spirits, so I think it's entirely possible he could look at what DLC they were planning and made decisions with regards to Spirits. Yeah, that would be a lot of characters, but it could apply to the first Fighter's Pass if they were intentional in certain decision making this time around. Though the good news would be that it would only apply to the Fighter's Pass and not any other DLC we might see at different points or later on.

I'm not saying I entirely believe that Spirits deconfirm all of these characters, but I am saying I think it's more likely that they do than trophies in Smash 4. How big of a difference in that probability is anyone's guess of course, but DLC seems far more intentionally planned this time around and that has always made me err on the side of caution with regards to Spirits. I wouldn't necessarily love that they did things that way, but if all of our DLC ends up being third parties with no presence in Smash, Spirits deconfirming for the Fighter's Pass would technically be right. And again, I don't even think Assist Trophies deconfirm for further DLC if they decide to do it, so the future and additional plans could hold all kinds of wonderful things anyway (Like deciding to add Geno as a character independent of the Fighter's Pass).

I thought Ness having Lucas's specials as custom moves was a death sentence since "What would be the point of adding him now when they've given the option of pretending to be him."

He came back anyway. And I was so happy.
Thanks for reminding me how glad I am that custom moves didn't make the transition over to Ultimate. I thought they were a neat concept, but I can't ever say I've been a fan of fighting games that give characters several different move sets. I much prefer characters being defined by their individual move sets and custom moves kind of took something away from characters in my mind. I know that wasn't really the case and some people loved the variety, but I think I just prefer having more characters with movesets rather than individuals with multiple movesets.

Not to mention I still don't even have them all in Smash for Wii U because of how irritating they are to get and how genuinely awful Classic mode was in the Wii U version. My least favorite version of Classic ever with the sole redeeming factor of Master Core and Master Fortress. Also, so glad they took Classic Mode in a far more enjoyable direction.

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
On a personal note, if Geno isn't the 2nd Square rep, I really hope it's Crono. While a Crono Mii costume would be amazing, I would muuuuch rather have Chrono Trigger music in Smash than DQ III music. That game is a musical masterpiece among many things.

Here's a question. If you had to choose 4 Square Mii fighter costumes alongside Geno and Chocobo, who would you choose?
Definitely Frog, Vivi/Black Mage, Red Mage, Moogle, default Heartless, Slime hat

Bremy

Smash Apprentice
With joker and persona taking out these "leaks", I'm just going to assume geno's reveal trailer to be Joker stealing the doll from square.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
This is the best news I've heard all day!

But if I may, what do you mean by "thank Kasumi"? My curiosity is piqued.
You know Jane? Yeah, she was showcased more in todays Persona concert and the suspicion of her maybe being an echo is getting higher.

Firox

Smash Master
This dry period is really taking a toll on us... Six months between reveals... Maybe it's all part of Sakurai's plan to make us suffer.
I would say so. It reminds me of an experiment I read about once. It involved a bunch of rats in a cage. In the corner of the cage was a red button. If the rats pushed it, then food would come out of a dispenser. The researchers noticed that as long as the food came out on demand, the rats would only push the button when they were hungry. Then the button was modified to dispense food at random. If the rats pushed it, there was no guarantee that the food would come out. The result? The rats were now driven to push the button all day long in hopes that food would finally come out. You see where I'm going with this?....

Bremy

Smash Apprentice
I don't think kasumi will get an echo, only because she uses a rapier and a rifle. She would be too different from Joker, based on how the other echos have been.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I don't think kasumi will get an echo, only because she uses a rapier and a rifle. She would be too different from Joker, based on how the other echos have been.
It's not a rapier(More of a regualr sword) and the shotgun is no problem since she holds it one handed like Joker does with his pistol. It's also notable that her thief design is extremely similar to Jokers.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
You know Jane? Yeah, she was showcased more in todays Persona concert and the suspicion of her maybe being an echo is getting higher.
I mean, I’d welcome that since it’d open the door for more echos such as Dixie Kong in the future.

Bremy

Smash Apprentice
It's not a rapier(More of a regualr sword) and the shotgun is no problem since she holds it one handed like Joker does with his pistol. It's also notable that her thief design is extremely similar to Jokers.
Dont get me wrong, I'd really like her to be an echo. If she was the female Joker, it would be a definate. But the different weapons and her being a part of the PTs, doesnt get me to think she will. Though I'll gladly eat crow if she does end up being one lol.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I mean, I’d welcome that since it’d open the door for more echos such as Dixie Kong in the future.
Please no. Dixie Kong deserves better than an Echo status and she just wouldn't make a whole lot of sense as one unless she was more on the Ken side of things with several unique animations and qualities. And even then, not having her Up-B at least be a hair twirl would be so incredibly disappointing. Semi-clone suits her far more well.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Nah, poor Klonoa has been getting the shaft lately, .
One day , he'll come back... One day... One day Bandai Namco will understand that you can't sell a new franchise without good enough marketing...
But hey , if we can get a Klonoa hat/costume , it would be nice.

Also Klonoa is top tier in Smash Crusade , the dude can grab you in the air xD

To start another topic , I was playing the BiS remake , and after seeing all of the places Fawful conquered , putting his face all over them... I wonder how stuff like Nimbus Land or Rose Town would have changed if Fawful conquered them.
Heck , I could see the dude trying to get back the Sunken Ship to work just to cause havock.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Please no. Dixie Kong deserves better than an Echo status and she just wouldn't make a whole lot of sense as one unless she was more on the Ken side of things with several unique animations and qualities. And even then, not having her Up-B at least be a hair twirl would be so incredibly disappointing. Semi-clone suits her far more well.
That’s kinda what I meant. I meant more of a Chrom/Ken styled echo then Daisy for example.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Y'know, with Sakurai recently going to Brownie Brown's studio and signing his name on the Mother 3 wall, I think it's safe to say that the man has a soft spot for JRPGs. Although this didn't have anything to do with Geno and SMRPG, it only gives me further hope of Geno's chances!

Capture.PNG

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The 5Chan leak is dead. You can thank Kasumi for it.

View attachment 212065
That was the crappy one all along tho. No way one person would know all 5 characters.

As someone who has wanted Dixie for a while now, this is something I've always been okay with.
I think dixie would probably be the easiest echo to add. She just needs 1 or a few b moves to use her hair and she'd be fine.
I would've said shadow was the easiest if it wasnt for being an assist trophy. :/

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That was the crappy one all along tho. No way one person would know all 5 characters.
Well, they would if they released the information now, if they actually are among the team working on it. So it's possible to get a real leak. I don't think it's likely, and any leak done far earlier than November is easily bull, unless it's just 1, 2, or 3 characters at most.

I think dixie would probably be the easiest echo to add. She just needs 1 or a few b moves to use her hair and she'd be fine.
I would've said shadow was the easiest if it wasnt for being an assist trophy. :/
Shadow is still easy to add, but I doubt he'd get in due to his current AT status. For all we know Sakurai did make an attempt, but failed. This could even be why his AT was shown way later. Who knows.

For Dixie, I don't honestly care if she's more of a Daisy/Richter/etc. style Echo or a Ken/Chrom style one. Both fit her just fine. I don't mind if she doesn't have the perfect moveset. Having her playable is still awesome in itself. From my understanding, though, she could retool DK's Spinning Kong due to similar skeletons, not unlike Chrom using many of Ike's Aether animations for his Up B. I'm not sure if it would be more difficult, but Vaanrose helped explain how the skeletons and such worked. I was otherwise thinking it wasn't possible. But once I knew that, my worries went away. The one thing I felt Chrom made clear is that if they borrow moves from characters, they'll have a similar bodyframe as is. Ken's unique mechanic, similar to Ryu's, are a bit of a different story. He went all out for "the original echo". I don't actually know if they're borrowed animations, but a lot do fit Ken's proportions too(including Ryu, obviously). So that might've been why they were very easy to do.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
On the bright side at this point we are pretty much guaranteed a character during the time e3 rolls around. At the latest I would expect is late June. Wouldn’t be surprised if they announced 2, but one was playable after the Nintendo direct.

Have to keep in mind that all the dlc packs will release by feb 2020, so that’s basically a fighter release every 2.5 months.

That being the case, I’m surprised we haven’t seen more actual proof of who this Square character is suppose to be.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well, they would if they released the information now, if they actually are among the team working on it. So it's possible to get a real leak. I don't think it's likely, and any leak done far earlier than November is easily bull, unless it's just 1, 2, or 3 characters at most.

Shadow is still easy to add, but I doubt he'd get in due to his current AT status. For all we know Sakurai did make an attempt, but failed. This could even be why his AT was shown way later. Who knows.

For Dixie, I don't honestly care if she's more of a Daisy/Richter/etc. style Echo or a Ken/Chrom style one. Both fit her just fine. I don't mind if she doesn't have the perfect moveset. Having her playable is still awesome in itself. From my understanding, though, she could retool DK's Spinning Kong due to similar skeletons, not unlike Chrom using many of Ike's Aether animations for his Up B. I'm not sure if it would be more difficult, but Vaanrose helped explain how the skeletons and such worked. I was otherwise thinking it wasn't possible. But once I knew that, my worries went away. The one thing I felt Chrom made clear is that if they borrow moves from characters, they'll have a similar bodyframe as is. Ken's unique mechanic, similar to Ryu's, are a bit of a different story. He went all out for "the original echo". I don't actually know if they're borrowed animations, but a lot do fit Ken's proportions too(including Ryu, obviously). So that might've been why they were very easy to do.
Yeh it's not impossible, but i just dont think someone from the team would leak.
Anyway im glad if people dont consider the 5 character one anymore. maybe some still will, but oh well.

As for echos, of course it'd be great to rework them a lot, but it's so much easier if there's not much to be changed. I'd love to see dlc echos for cheap (like 2$?)
But im not expecting them. it'd just be cool :)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeh it's not impossible, but i just dont think someone from the team would leak.
Anyway im glad if people dont consider the 5 character one anymore. maybe some still will, but oh well.

As for echos, of course it'd be great to rework them a lot, but it's so much easier if there's not much to be changed. I'd love to see dlc echos for cheap (like 2$?)
But im not expecting them. it'd just be cool :)
Only one I think is remotely possible is "Jane", right now. Sakurai licensed the character for use. He'll use her. She could become a Mii costume or spirit, and it'd still work. It also makes sense why she is the only one delayed for release because she isn't revealed yet. The rest of the Persona 5 content already exists to the public, so there's no point in delaying them. Besides, I don't believe in the Mii costume theory nor the idea that they'll only show a company's content when that character releases. I think showing stuff at the correct time of promotion is way more important than trying to establish a silly pattern based off of one release.

I agree 2 dollars sounds good. They take a ton less work, but still require a lot on its own. Though maybe 3 could be justified. I forget what the normal price for a unique character is. 5 dollars? 6? They could also base it upon the workload needed. A base one like Richter being 2 dollars is logical. Ones that are far more heavy like Ken should be 3 dollars due to the extra work needed. Chrom is closer to the 2 dollar thing, as he only had one animation worked from Ike(though I don't remember if his Final Smash is like Roy's or Ike's?). But he's not on Ken levels either way. He's a bit more than Richter or Daisy. Maybe comparable to how Dark Pit has his own Final Smash. Lucina is more clearly like Daisy or Richter, respectively.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Only one I think is remotely possible is "Jane", right now. Sakurai licensed the character for use. He'll use her. She could become a Mii costume or spirit, and it'd still work. It also makes sense why she is the only one delayed for release because she isn't revealed yet. The rest of the Persona 5 content already exists to the public, so there's no point in delaying them. Besides, I don't believe in the Mii costume theory nor the idea that they'll only show a company's content when that character releases. I think showing stuff at the correct time of promotion is way more important than trying to establish a silly pattern based off of one release.

I agree 2 dollars sounds good. They take a ton less work, but still require a lot on its own. Though maybe 3 could be justified. I forget what the normal price for a unique character is. 5 dollars? 6? They could also base it upon the workload needed. A base one like Richter being 2 dollars is logical. Ones that are far more heavy like Ken should be 3 dollars due to the extra work needed. Chrom is closer to the 2 dollar thing, as he only had one animation worked from Ike(though I don't remember if his Final Smash is like Roy's or Ike's?). But he's not on Ken levels either way. He's a bit more than Richter or Daisy. Maybe comparable to how Dark Pit has his own Final Smash. Lucina is more clearly like Daisy or Richter, respectively.
Ya i was thinking 2 for easy ones and 3 for ones that have a bit more work to them.
Unique character is 6 but you get stage and music too.

I hope myself that they dont wait for fighter pass characters to release the mii fighters, but them releasing the sega ones with joker makes me think they might do it, unfortunately :/
I still think we could see echos at some point, but they certainly havent pointed to that. But neither did they point out spirits and mii costumes coming with the fighter.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I think echoes DLCs will happen... After the fighter pass.

Sakurai said it himself "Those will be new characters , and we're not talking about echo fighters !" and he promised us five characters total.
Yes , he gave us spirits when he didn't promised to... But as of now , I'm gonna trust Sakurai words on that. No echoes are planned.

However , they are a perfect fit for promotional material (Like a potential Pikmin 4 captain , PLEASE , LET ME DREAM) and stand alone DLC fighters in the future. However , I would prefer something that is at least like Lucina and Chrom ;

One noticible gameplay difference , not a developped costume.

Btw , besides Louie (Wich could also be a unique character) , my dream echo would be Midbus , as a Bowser echo. (No shell armor/Tough guy , but higher damage output and ice instead of fire. Maybe a slight weight buff compared to Bowser.)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think echoes DLCs will happen... After the fighter pass.

Sakurai said it himself "Those will be new characters , and we're not talking about echo fighters !" and he promised us five characters total.
Yes , he gave us spirits when he didn't promised to... But as of now , I'm gonna trust Sakurai words on that. No echoes are planned.

However , they are a perfect fit for promotional material (Like a potential Pikmin 4 captain , PLEASE , LET ME DREAM) and stand alone DLC fighters in the future. However , I would prefer something that is at least like Lucina and Chrom ;

One noticible gameplay difference , not a developped costume.

Btw , besides Louie (Wich could also be a unique character) , my dream echo would be Midbus , as a Bowser echo. (No shell armor/Tough guy , but higher damage output and ice instead of fire. Maybe a slight weight buff compared to Bowser.)
Still sounds like there could be leeway for echos during, since they're not part of those five.
Do you know where he said that? Im curious what's the non-translated version.

But anyway, after the dlc list and lots of other things, It's hard to take sakurai 100% on words like that :p

Even though I would want impa as unique, i'd be fine with her as a sheik echo. I want more characters XD

TheBeastHimself

I'd really like DLC echoes so characters like Shadow and Ninten can get another shot if they aren't considered unique enough by Sakurai. I like the idea of echoes all around because while they don't necessarily diversify the roster in terms of move-sets, they diversify the roster in terms of character selection. And the more characters, the merrier in my opinion. I love see franchises get more and more representation, and echoes are fun, easy way to do so.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
For the final DLC release I could see them doing a direct or dedicated video as they did for Joker and revealing like 5 echoes to be available in the eshop.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The only way I could see echoes happening is if each fighter's pass releases with a separate, individual character coupled with it, echo or not. Otherwise, yeah, I can only see them as completely individual DLC after the pass has ended. I'm a little suspect, frankly, given we still don't know who or what 'Jane' is, let alone if she will be used at all. It could be testing for a Kasumi alt that was unused... or a Kasumi echo. We just don't know.

That said, if that happened, that'd be great. It'd mean we'd have a chance at not one, but two Square reps. In such a scenario, I could easily see a more difficult to license character like Erdrick in the pass with an easier to license fan favorite like Geno separately. I'd say that's a less than 1% chance of happening, though. My mind is strictly on the idea of just the one pass.

TheBeastHimself

One thing I did notice was that in Sakurai's latest column (translated by SourceGaming's PushDustin), he states "While I'm making Smash, I can do a lot of interesting things. There are still 4 more DLC fighters, so look forward to them." I know that statement doesn't outright deconfirm future DLC, but does anyone think that makes the chances of it happening more slim?
https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1121090548297637893

Ovaltine

Smash Master
One thing I did notice was that in Sakurai's latest column (translated by SourceGaming's PushDustin), he states "While I'm making Smash, I can do a lot of interesting things. There are still 4 more DLC fighters, so look forward to them." I know that statement doesn't outright deconfirm future DLC, but does anyone think that makes the chances of it happening more slim?
https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1121090548297637893
Honestly, all it tells me is that no further DLC is planned yet. Usually, further DLC gets planned later on before the first season ends or a small while after. I wouldn't be too worried yet.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Honestly, all it tells me is that no further DLC is planned yet. Usually, further DLC gets planned later on before the first season ends or a small while after. I wouldn't be too worried yet.
Yeah, I’m thinking back to when they mentioned Mewtwo being the only dlc character for Smash 4.

Then like two months later:

1556146928807.jpeg

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I wonder how many people got the joke there with Lucas' splash screen...
I didn’t even notice the pun at the first viewing since him coming back was an exercise in overstimulation for me.

Like my friend sent me the render and I outright thought it was fake. That’s how down I was about his chances.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1121068692610019328/photo/1

So Sakurai's figure collection for SSBU, minus any figures used in unrevealed characters, has been revealed. Note the lack of the Vifam figure. Either...

1) The Vifam figure's gun was used, but it wasn't included in this picture for some reason,
2) The Vifam figure's gun ended up being unused, after all, or,
3) The Vifam figure's gun is going to be used for a DLC character or some other material.

Interesting. It at least hints at the gun not being used for anything at all in the base game, even if there's still a chance that it was. Also, it seems for gunner-types, he uses actual figures of them for reference. Many big-name gunner characters have figures of them already. Geno doesn't. Just food for thought that probably means nothing.

Last edited:

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
If we're getting DLC echoes; Mrs Pacman, Dixie (Ken style or at least Chrom style), any Sonic character, Black Shadow and Louie please Sakurai xxx

Ovaltine

Smash Master
If we're getting DLC echoes; Mrs Pacman, Dixie (Ken style or at least Chrom style), any Sonic character, Black Shadow and Louie please Sakurai xxx
I want Shadow promoted because goddamn they did my edge-hog son so dirty in this game :mad088: Plus it'd be nice to have at least one of my most wanteds for DLC as opposed to none of them (I have small hope for Banjo, very little hope for Geno).

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
I want Shadow promoted because goddamn they did my edge-hog son so dirty in this game :mad088: Plus it'd be nice to have at least one of my most wanteds for DLC as opposed to none of them (I have small hope for Banjo, very little hope for Geno).
I almost wish they gave the Sonic franchise the Fire Emblem treatment. So many lovable and cool characters from that franchise. Imagine Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Metal Sonic and Amy playable with an Eggman boss :love:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I almost wish they gave the Sonic franchise the Fire Emblem treatment. So many lovable and cool characters from that franchise. Imagine Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Metal Sonic and Amy playable with an Eggman boss :love:
That does call into question why Sonic hasn't been given more representation. We get Bayonetta and Joker before another Sonic character which I find to be the strangest thing.

I would have expected Tails or in the very least Knuckles to be playable.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have an idea.

Exor should be playable :4pacman: He would be a swordfighter, yes, but this time, he would just be a sword swinging around on its own, rather than someone swinging it around!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom