• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
That said, I do earnestly think it lessens Geno's chances, mostly because I feel series with spirits at all won't be in the Fighter's Pass.
I understand where you're coming from here, but I just find it completely illogical Sakurai put on the Infinity Gauntlet and announced "at the snap of my finger these 1000+ potential fighters will be deconfirmed". I don't see why a business would put a creative handicap on themselves. It's up for debate if the DLC was chosen before or after spirits were chosen, but regardless, I still find it illogical a company trying to make a profit would handicap themselves that severely with a game that has potential for a long life.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I understand where you're coming from here, but I just find it completely illogical Sakurai put on the Infinity Gauntlet and announced "at the snap of my finger these 1000+ potential fighters will be deconfirmed". I don't see why a business would put a creative handicap on themselves. It's up for debate if the DLC was chosen before or after spirits were chosen, but regardless, I still find it illogical a company trying to make a profit would handicap themselves that severely with a game that has potential for a long life.

Oh, trust me, I agree. I think that we aren't going to be seeing any spirits in the Fighter's Pass, though, and that spirits may have been made around that. However, even with that said, they are by no means total barriers to any of those characters being in. Fighter's Pass is one beast, but outside of that, if we get further DLC, all bets are off. In such a case, it's less a handicap, and more, "These are characters that'd be great to see repped in some way for now, and we'll see what we can do about promoting some select spirits if we make more DLC."

TheBeastHimself

Oh, trust me, I agree. I think that we aren't going to be seeing any spirits in the Fighter's Pass, though, and that spirits may have been made around that. However, even with that said, they are by no means total barriers to any of those characters being in. Fighter's Pass is one beast, but outside of that, if we get further DLC, all bets are off. In such a case, it's less a handicap, and more, "These are characters that'd be great to see repped in some way for now, and we'll see what we can do about promoting some select spirits if we make more DLC."
Gotcha! That line of thinking makes sense to me.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
What we do know is Sakurai approved every spirit, and did remove some. I don't think it means we can't see a spirit as DLC, but I think the only one probably removed was some PP-related ones due to him being immediate DLC. Anybody else who knows.

The spirit theory is not impossible, because at least we know he did check them all out. I doubt it regardless, because why would he make a list of around 1300 "lolnope" characters due to a PNG?

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I think spirits are fair game post fighter pass. Obviously as with everything in this thread, it's just a speculation, we might get Geno early.

Also I find the Mii Costume theory pretty convincing as of late. It's made me re-evaluate my predictions a touch. The idea of having a Capcom, Namco, Square and Microsoft rep remaining seems pretty likely to me.

I predict Erdrick, Banjo, Phoenix Wright but I'm really unsure on the Namco one. Heihachi doesn't seem likely with his Japanese voice actor passing and being dismissed in 4, and Lloyd from the Tales series getting in would mean 3 out of 5 fighter pass characters are JRPG protags, which is very possible but I can see the pass being a little more diverse. Maybe Klonoa? What do you guys think?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Yeah I think spirits are fair game post fighter pass. Obviously as with everything in this thread, it's just a speculation, we might get Geno early.

Also I find the Mii Costume theory pretty convincing as of late. It's made me re-evaluate my predictions a touch. The idea of having a Capcom, Namco, Square and Microsoft rep remaining seems pretty likely to me.

I predict Erdrick, Banjo, Phoenix Wright but I'm really unsure on the Namco one. Heihachi doesn't seem likely with his Japanese voice actor passing and being dismissed in 4, and Lloyd from the Tales series getting in would mean 3 out of 5 fighter pass characters are JRPG protags, which is very possible but I can see the pass being a little more diverse. Maybe Klonoa? What do you guys think?
Nah, poor Klonoa has been getting the shaft lately, so I'd wager it would be Lloyd. Multiple JRPG protags for DLC won't be a problem for Nintendo, given they pulled that with Sm4sh. Erdrick, Banjo, Phoenix (or another Capcom rep), and Lloyd sounds like a pretty darn sweet line-up, personally, and Banjo alone would make me hype as HELL.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Other than Klonoa, Agumon and Nightmare are huge contenders. Well, Lloyd Irving too. I wouldn't dismiss Yuri Lowell either. Those are pretty much your Bandai-Namco contenders right now. Unless Ms. Pac-Man would be a semi-clone, anyway?

I don't think the Mii Costume theory means much. We're already missing one. I feel they're going to release them whenever they want to, some in time to promote a current character, and others that are irrelevant. It makes sense to post the Sega ones with a Sega character, but others could be unrelated. We might not get any costumes beyond Geno and Chocobo Hat for our SE content, for instance.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I don't think the Mii Costume theory means much. We're already missing one. I feel they're going to release them whenever they want to, some in time to promote a current character, and others that are irrelevant. It makes sense to post the Sega ones with a Sega character, but others could be unrelated. We might not get any costumes beyond Geno and Chocobo Hat for our SE content, for instance.
Oh god, considering how Squeenix can be stingy as hell, I can see that. C'mon, gimme a Moogle costume! :mad088:

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Other than Klonoa, Agumon and Nightmare are huge contenders. Well, Lloyd Irving too. I wouldn't dismiss Yuri Lowell either. Those are pretty much your Bandai-Namco contenders right now. Unless Ms. Pac-Man would be a semi-clone, anyway?

Do you think a Tales rep is most likely if you had to guess? I ask as someone who lacks any Namco familiarity outside of Pacman and Katamari.

I don't see the Mii costume theory as absolute truth, but it does seem likely I think. We'll soon see.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Nah, poor Klonoa has been getting the shaft lately, so I'd wager it would be Lloyd. Multiple JRPG protags for DLC won't be a problem for Nintendo, given they pulled that with Sm4sh. Erdrick, Banjo, Phoenix (or another Capcom rep), and Lloyd sounds like a pretty darn sweet line-up, personally, and Banjo alone would make me hype as HELL.
When hasn’t Klonoa gotten the shaft?

Though I’m honestly outright praying one of the characters is Ninten or Claus at this point. I’ll take either and I’ll buy them six times.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Do you think a Tales rep is most likely if you had to guess? I ask as someone who lacks any Namco familiarity outside of Pacman and Katamari.

I don't see the Mii costume theory as absolute truth, but it does seem likely I think. We'll soon see.
Only Lloyd, but that's due to him being more recognizable worldwide. Joker has that going for him too. They're not as major as characters like who Erdrick, who he and Slime are the most logical DQ characters due to their iconic nature and representing the games(in different ways) quite well.

Him being a dual sword wielder is a definite merit, as it allows for lots of unique gameplay. However, that'd be more on Sakurai. Nintendo is heavily involved, so they might not go for him. I could see them going for someone like Agumon to show off the Digimon VS Pokemon thing, Ms. Pac-Man for her legacy, possibly Heihachi for the legacy, Klonoa for the "unexpected", or Nightmare for a neat antagonist. Though those are some possible reasons. It's hard to say what they want. Heihachi is the most expected, yet the one with the most going against him(the Pac-Man taunt, Sakurai outright dismissing him due to Tekken being very difficult to properly integrate into Smash), where the others at worst might have niche/obscurity, but nothing else that shells them from being in. Lloyd he speaks highly of, so I would definitely put him in high regards. I wouldn't dismiss the other options. Remember how people expected a second Sonic character or Jack Frost instead of Joker? Yeah.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
On a personal note, if Geno isn't the 2nd Square rep, I really hope it's Crono. While a Crono Mii costume would be amazing, I would muuuuch rather have Chrono Trigger music in Smash than DQ III music. That game is a musical masterpiece among many things.

Here's a question. If you had to choose 4 Square Mii fighter costumes alongside Geno and Chocobo, who would you choose?

TheBeastHimself

The spirit theory is not impossible, because at least we know he did check them all out. I doubt it regardless, because why would he make a list of around 1300 "lolnope" characters due to a PNG?
My thoughts exactly. It's plausible, but so ****ing ridiculous that it's hard to take the idea seriously.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
On a personal note, if Geno isn't the 2nd Square rep, I really hope it's Crono. While a Crono Mii costume would be amazing, I would muuuuch rather have Chrono Trigger music in Smash than DQ III music. That game is a musical masterpiece among many things.

Here's a question. If you had to choose 4 Square Mii fighter costumes alongside Geno and Chocobo, who would you choose?
Slime hat, Crono, Frog, and Mallow. Easy. They're the ones I hope we get to see, although I kinda doubt the CT ones will become a reality. Slime hat seems very likely, though, and Mallow has a shot at a costume, I think.

TheBeastHimself

I'd like to turn this around into a question. To me, Square is just the company that has the rights to Geno. I've never played FF, DQ, KH, CT, or any of those games. Where do I start?

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to turn this around into a question. To me, Square is just the company that has the rights to Geno. I've never played FF, DQ, KH, CT, or any of those games. Where do I start?
If you enjoy JRPGs, I can highly recommend Final Fantasy 6, Final Fantasy 7 and Chrono Trigger. All pretty accessible and popular, not to mention the music and vibe of the games. Currently playing Final Fantasy 8 which is a bit convoluted mechanics wise but I hear you get used to it. probably wouldn't start with this one.
DQ and KH I have never touched so can't help you there pal :4diddy:

Try Final Fantasy 7 as it's on Switch, that's my recommendation. Otherwise Chrono Trigger.

Edit: Also, try the demo for Octopath. Haven't got the full game but was really impressed with what I played. It's like a nice call back to the Chrono Trigger/FF6 era.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

If you enjoy JRPGs, I can highly recommend Final Fantasy 6, Final Fantasy 7 and Chrono Trigger. All pretty accessible and popular, not to mention the music and vibe of the games. Currently playing Final Fantasy 8 which is a bit convoluted mechanics wise but I hear you get used to it. probably wouldn't start with this one.
DQ and KH I have never touched so can't help you there pal :4diddy:

Try Final Fantasy 7 as it's on Switch, that's my recommendation. Otherwise Chrono Trigger.
I'll keep FF7 and CT in mind, thanks for the recommendations! I love JRPGs :D

D

Deleted member

In your first playthrough of SMRPG, who else thought you could fight those plant nippers in the Pipe Vault?

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I haven’t played many, but I would very much recommend Chrono Trigger for the soundtrack alone. Lots of beautiful music in that game.

I’ve only recently gotten into KH, but the first game was a lot of fun in my opinion.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Erdrick, Mallow, Crono/Chrono, and Moogle(though I'm gunning towards Squall Leonhart, I think sticking with one of their cute mascots might sell better).

Slime is who I would obviously choose as playable from DQ, though I'd still have a Slime Hat, but I only got a choice of 4, so yeah. I think having 'em from as many different series as possible is good. Did I miss any major SE series worth mentioning? I know there's Secret of Mana...

I'll keep FF7 and CT in mind, thanks for the recommendations! I love JRPGs :D
You should try out Quest 64. It's a pretty fun, if simple, game. It's no different from your typical dungeon crawling game with few hints of what to do, a very basic storyline, tons of magic, swords, shields, and fireballs.

...Albeit, you use neither swords or shields, but hey, you can cast something to increase your defense, so? Incidentally, the game's spells are very clear based upon Dragon Quest in many ways.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
A Mii Swordfighter of Terra from FF6 would be cool, or a Mii Brawler of Tifa from FF7. It's a tragedy how little Final Fantasy content there is in Ultimate. But I guess I might as well think on the brightside that it's a miracle both Cloud and Midgar are both in and returning in the first place.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
A Mii Swordfighter of Terra from FF6 would be cool, or a Mii Brawler of Tifa from FF7. It's a tragedy how little Final Fantasy content there is in Ultimate. But I guess I might as well think on the brightside that it's a miracle both Cloud and Midgar are both in and returning in the first place.
Sephiroth(Swordfighter) and Aerith(Brawler or Swordfighter, depending how you want to interpret her staff) are my personal choices. Mainly cause they're my two favorite FFVII characters.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don't like how you clarify that there could be another Capcom rep.

It's Phoenix Wright dammit.
In my opinion, Final Fantasy VI is the best RPG ever made. But if you had to play only one RPG in your life, I'd say go for Chrono Trigger. That game is a miracle.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Guys I solved the puzzle that was not actually a puzzle

So Joker stole his way into Smash, right? Look at SMRPG's card suites that each character gets. Mario, Peach, Mallow, and Bowser get hearts, spades, clubs, and diamonds. What does Geno have, though? A star. He doesn't have the other suites. He's a complete odd one out. A wild card.

A joker.

Now we know who Joker stole his invitation from. You're welcome. :4pacman:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Guys I solved the puzzle that was not actually a puzzle

So Joker stole his way into Smash, right? Look at SMRPG's card suites that each character gets. Mario, Peach, Mallow, and Bowser get hearts, spades, clubs, and diamonds. What does Geno have, though? A star. He doesn't have the other suites. He's a complete odd one out. A wild card.

A joker.

Now we know who Joker stole his invitation from. You're welcome. :4pacman:
So, Geno won't be in Smash because of Joker then? Dammit Bayonetta get that kid of yours under control.

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Geno seems like the best introduction to spirits becoming fighters if that happens.
That's another fan rule I'd like to see burn since Ultimate has destroyed almost all of them so far.

It's like the idea that the Lucas and Mewtwo trophies in Smash 4 didn't allow the characters to come back... which proved to be false. If trophies didn't stop a character from being added, I HIGHLY doubt Spirits will.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
That's another fan rule I'd like to see burn since Ultimate has destroyed almost all of them so far.

It's like the idea that the Lucas and Mewtwo trophies in Smash 4 didn't allow the characters to come back... which proved to be false. If trophies didn't stop a character from being added, I HIGHLY doubt Spirits will.
I thought Ness having Lucas's specials as custom moves was a death sentence since "What would be the point of adding him now when they've given the option of pretending to be him."

He came back anyway. And I was so happy.

Monokarhu

Smash Cadet
Here's sort of a weird question: If they added Geno in as a playable character, what artwork would they use for his Fighter Spirit? Those usually use old artwork, and as far as I know, there's literally one piece of official artwork of him (the render) and it's already used for his primary Spirit.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Here's sort of a weird question: If they added Geno in as a playable character, what artwork would they use for his Fighter Spirit? Those usually use old artwork, and as far as I know, there's literally one piece of official artwork of him (the render) and it's already used for his primary Spirit.
Pit.

You know, use the new model as the fighter spirit and change the current Spirit to "Geno (Classic)"

osby

Smash Obsessed
His Ultimate render like :ultwiifittrainer::ultwiifittrainerm::ultrobin::ultrobinf::ultcloud::ultpokemontrainer::ultpokemontrainerf:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom