• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Okay guys, so while I LOVE what Ovaltine Ovaltine Ovaltine Ovaltine has done with those points and I hate to be a downer about our boy, some things need to be stated real quick.

The introduction of returning Mii Costumes that are of IPs of the same company who owns the DLC character of the Challenger Pack raises some big concerns. It would make much more business sense for Square to have the Geno Mii Costume return alongside the Chocobo hat and new costumes related to a completely different character like Sora or Luminary/Slime at this point than it would be for them to not do so. However, keep in mind that neither Akira's nor Jackie's Mii Costumes returned, which means we could only get some back or possibly none back depending on the circumstances.

The news that is coupled with that above that really makes this hurt is that Challenger Pack characters are all going to come with their own Spirit Board that never changes and will feature a number of Spirits (Joker's features 11, but we may get more or less depending, and since a full Spirit Board is 8 I will assume we will get minimum 8 per Challenger Pack). Joker does not have a Spirit of himself outside of a Fighter Spirit, only of him as part of his team, so this continues to ride the line as far as Spirits and alternate versions/forms. However, this whole Spirit Board features brand-speaking new Spirits and no old ones that are Sega-based...how the heck would this work for Geno considering not only are he and Mallow Spirits, but that SO MANY other Mario RPG characters like Paper Mario and Fawful are already Spirits as well. Sure, there are plenty of SMRPG character to have Spirits of, but it would make more sense if he didn't get a Spirits Board when Mario RPGs are represented enough in Spirits already, and Fighter's Pass character have Spirit Boards...

So yeah, really not looking so hot right now. Not impossible, just not good.
Yeah, unfortunately, while there are a lot of good points going for him, there are a lot of bad, and it does look like we're getting a different SE rep with Geno's costume in tow. In terms of the Fighter's Pass, his chances are, as I suspected, very low. We've gotta stay vigilant and vocal about our support regardless, however. If we go quiet again and give up, then it's all over, you know? Things look pretty bad right now, but we don't know what will happen outside of the Fighter's Pass. Geno would be a better fit as misc. DLC of some kind or part of a 'fan favorite' pack or something, anyway.

(That said, dang, you're usually the most optimistic person here about Geno's chances, so I think that says a lot when you're feeling rough on his chances, too.)

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Except there's literally no reason whatsoever to believe SE isn't the reason Geno isn't playable. Sakurai has no issue with it. The only people who can say no is SE at this point. Sakurai decided the characters in most of the games too. For the record, Smash Ultimate is the only time where Nintendo is fully involved with the DLC. They might've had some slight involvement with 4's, being Bayonetta and Corrin at best. Rest? No reason to believe that whatsoever. We know how important Bayo is to them, so it could be why she was chosen. They actually were the ones who wanted to push a promotional pick from a recent game, which became Corrin. Not the full reason he got in, but it's what brought him to attention to Sakurai regardless.

He's not base game playable in Ultimate either. That means SE pretty clearly said no. Sakurai still wants the character used, so had to go with a deal that got him in as a spirit. The main reason, as noted by many before, that he's a MIi costume is that it's something of a consolation prize. SE is the only logical reason he isn't playable otherwise. Nintendo might be the reason he's not Smash Ultimate DLC, but Sakurai sure as hell is trying to get him in. There's no denying that whatsoever. That leaves one other party to determine it. SE. Nintendo has shown absolutely no reason to believe they'd be against him, so there's zero reason to believe they are part of the reason.

SKX31

Smash Master
Yeah, my guess is the reason Geno isn't in is either because Nintendo or Square doesn't want him in, or he wants to prioritize bigger SE names before getting to Geno. If the latter is the case, then it's really only a matter of time before he's in. I'd dare say after Cloud, Erdrick, and maybe Sora are in, Geno may be next in line. That's why my hopes for him aren't at all there for the Fighter's Pass, but for misc. DLC, they're still pretty solid.
It's worth to keep an eye for S-E's Western born characters too: Lara Croft and JC Denton or Adam Jensen (the Deus Ex. series). They are real longshots admittedly, but it does prove that they have a huge well of potential characters. And if anything, those could bring underutilized aspects into Smash (Lara could be built somewhat around archery - both Denton and Jensen are augmented / nanomachine infused humans). I could see Square putting Lara and the Deus Ex protags rather high on their Smash list too.

I wouldn't be surprised if the discussions between Nintendo and S-E took a very long time because they might not have been limited to Smash. But also how the two companies should work together going forward. After all, Sakurai has stated that Ultimate's base roster was finalized rather long before the reveal a year ago, and it's only relatively recently (the February Direct) that we knew about the FF ports and the expanded DQ11 Switch version.

Still, if Sakurai's been adamant about Geno, then I could see a path for him in. It would probably require ressurecting confident within Square - easier said than done - but could be manageable.

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Question about the E3 rumor Fatman mentioned. Did he say the announcement tied to “Brave” would completely outdo the Smash reveal? I’m asking because I just want that cleared up since it’s been gnawing at the back of my mind the past few days.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Question about the E3 rumor Fatman mentioned. Did he say the announcement tied to “Brave” would completely outdo the Smash reveal? I’m asking because I just want that cleared up since it’s been gnawing at the back of my mind the past few days.
He never specified that it was for 'Brave', no. Just for a possible Smash reveal of some sort with something else that could potentially overshadow it because of how monumental it would be.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Did Sakurai ever say he wanted Geno in Smash 4/Ultimate? I know he's mentioned it for Brawl but I'm not sure he's mentioned trying to get Geno as playable in 4.

I know he added the Mii Costume as a way to "give the fans something" though, that much he has mentioned (as well as being extremely obvious).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Did Sakurai ever say he wanted Geno in Smash 4/Ultimate? I know he's mentioned it for Brawl but I'm not sure he's mentioned trying to get Geno as playable in 4.

I know he added the Mii Costume as a way to "give the fans something" though, that much he has mentioned (as well as being extremely obvious).
Yes. He pretty much was saying "I've wanted Geno in Smash since Brawl." So he's wanting him in Brawl and 4 with these words.

I mean, it's possible he changed his mind, but there's little reason to believe that when we have his Spirit too. He still clearly cares about the character.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Yes. He pretty much was saying "I've wanted Geno in Smash since Brawl." So he's wanting him in Brawl and 4 with these words.

I mean, it's possible he changed his mind, but there's little reason to believe that when we have his Spirit too. He still clearly cares about the character.
That's really reassuring. Us Geno fans are so lucky to have Sakurai still vocally backing up our desires, many character threads would love that kind of backing. Hopefully Square and Nintendo play ball eventually, fingers crossed.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That's really reassuring. Us Geno fans are so lucky to have Sakurai still vocally backing up our desires, many character threads would love that kind of backing. Hopefully Square and Nintendo play ball eventually, fingers crossed.
Agreed. Even if he's not part of the Fighter's Pass, a costume is still nice alone. Though to be fair, I find a Mii costume nothing short of a celebration of a character, while many don't. The fact Geno got in Smash in some way is a pretty amazing feat in itself. I was quite happy to see the Isaac and Lip costumes too. Takamaru was great. Same with Chrom, and so on. I'd love a Brian costume(not that I think it has a remote chance of happening, unless Quest 64 gets a legit revival/remake, anyway).

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Except there's literally no reason whatsoever to believe SE isn't the reason Geno isn't playable. Sakurai has no issue with it. The only people who can say no is SE at this point. Sakurai decided the characters in most of the games too. For the record, Smash Ultimate is the only time where Nintendo is fully involved with the DLC. They might've had some slight involvement with 4's, being Bayonetta and Corrin at best. Rest? No reason to believe that whatsoever. We know how important Bayo is to them, so it could be why she was chosen. They actually were the ones who wanted to push a promotional pick from a recent game, which became Corrin. Not the full reason he got in, but it's what brought him to attention to Sakurai regardless.

He's not base game playable in Ultimate either. That means SE pretty clearly said no. Sakurai still wants the character used, so had to go with a deal that got him in as a spirit. The main reason, as noted by many before, that he's a MIi costume is that it's something of a consolation prize. SE is the only logical reason he isn't playable otherwise. Nintendo might be the reason he's not Smash Ultimate DLC, but Sakurai sure as hell is trying to get him in. There's no denying that whatsoever. That leaves one other party to determine it. SE. Nintendo has shown absolutely no reason to believe they'd be against him, so there's zero reason to believe they are part of the reason.
You are blinded by your judgmental nature as a human being. Because Squeenix may have been an issue in the past with Brawl, and since they have had a nature to be more on the 'pay me good or naw' side, suddenly it's always Squeenix's fault?

How about Cloud was a more important pick and clearly, Sakurai could have had Geno in over Cloud had he chosen to do so but he made the right call.

What about Squeenix rightfully wanting some extra cash for him so he couldn't be in the main roster when they already managed to hustle Cloud into the base roster. Makes sense to me, assuming Geno is making the cut that is.

If Squeenix was so against the idea, we would never have gotten the Mii Costume or the Spirit and profile pic. He would just have no reference at all, because to use his likeness means to have rights to the character, meaning a deal was made. If Geno doesn't make it yet again, it's not Squeenix, it's moreso Nintedo valuing a different character more than Geno.

Plain and simple. Or, should I say perhaps...

Simple and Clean?

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Agreed. Even if he's not part of the Fighter's Pass, a costume is still nice alone. Though to be fair, I find a Mii costume nothing short of a celebration of a character, while many don't. The fact Geno got in Smash in some way is a pretty amazing feat in itself. I was quite happy to see the Isaac and Lip costumes too. Takamaru was great. Same with Chrom, and so on. I'd love a Brian costume(not that I think it has a remote chance of happening, unless Quest 64 gets a legit revival/remake, anyway).
Tell me about it. I was thrilled when Geno was acknowledged as a Mii Costume, especially considering the height of Geno matched nicely with the Miis. Especially for a character that spent the best part of over a decade collecting dust. It was a shame that the Geno costume wasn't greatly received initially. Also agree that the Isaac costume is fantastic, the Isaac fans at least seemed overall positive and grateful for it too which was refreshing. Costumes are underrated man...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You are blinded by your judgmental nature as a human being. Because Squeenix may have been an issue in the past with Brawl, and since they have had a nature to be more on the 'pay me good or naw' side, suddenly it's always Squeenix's fault?

How about Cloud was a more important pick and clearly, Sakurai could have had Geno in over Cloud had he chosen to do so but he made the right call.

What about Squeenix rightfully wanting some extra cash for him so he couldn't be in the main roster when they already managed to hustle Cloud into the base roster. Makes sense to me, assuming Geno is making the cut that is.

If Squeenix was so against the idea, we would never have gotten the Mii Costume or the Spirit and profile pic. He would just have no reference at all, because to use his likeness means to have rights to the character, meaning a deal was made. If Geno doesn't make it yet again, it's not Squeenix, it's moreso Nintedo valuing a different character more than Geno.

Plain and simple. Or, should I say perhaps...

Simple and Clean?
Them saying no to him being playable is not the same thing as them saying no to him being a Mii Costume or Spirit. They're not equivalent. Sakurai couldn't make him playable(most likely cause SE said no), but was able to get something close with the MIi Costume instead. All it proves is they're willing to allow Sakurai to use the character, but it doesn't prove that they'd be okay with him being playable. It seems more likely they aren't, as nothing has changed since Brawl in reality. The point was him being playable, something Sakurai made quite clear. Not a costume. Or a trophy. Or a sticker. Or a spirit. But playable. Nothing else matters in that regard. You're given absolutely zero reasons to believe Square-Enix isn't the one saying No that makes any clear sense. You make it sound like he didn't try to get Geno playable in 4 as well. We don't know. He made it clear he still wanted him playable since Brawl. The only known barrier has pretty clearly been Square-Enix at this point, the only logical explanation that makes some remote sense. They may not be a barrier forever, but since he must go to them for licensing, the fact he isn't playable points to the sole logical explanation; Square-Enix simply said no. It is actually that plain and simple. There's no reason to make up silly conspiracy theories when nothing about his situation of being playable has changed. Looks pretty much like the same thing as earlier since Brawl, SE said no to that particular usage of the character. You are aware there was a ton of negotiation required just to get SMRPG on the VC, right? They have proven to be clearly difficult to work with as is. Let's not pretend it has severely changed. Look at how little we have in Ultimate still.

Tell me about it. I was thrilled when Geno was acknowledged as a Mii Costume, especially considering the height of Geno matched nicely with the Miis. Especially for a character that spent the best part of over a decade collecting dust. It was a shame that the Geno costume wasn't greatly received initially. Also agree that the Isaac costume is fantastic, the Isaac fans at least seemed overall positive and grateful for it too which was refreshing. Costumes are underrated man...
Indeed. There's so many damn good choices for costumes~

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Having beaten Cuphead for the first time today, I'd love a Cuphead/Mugman Mii Costume to be added for Mii Gunner as DLC. Absolutely loved my playthrough, highly recommend to anyone who enjoys NES hard games like Megaman. Such a gorgeous game both muscially and visually. And I adored the difficulty of being brutal hard but mostly fair.

Speaking of Indie Mii Costumes, a Mii Sword Shovel Knight could be pretty dope. I can imagine like Skull Kid making it visually look almost uncanny.

As far as Mii Costumes for Mario RPG characters go, I've said it once and I'll say it again: Axem Rangers. Nuff said.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

We have statements from Reggie saying that Sakurai has never had a character request refused. So either Reggie is lying, or Sakurai's never asked SE for Geno as playable.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
That's not what I said. I don't think Sakurai has any trouble envisioning how Geno would play.

What I do think is that Sakurai has this vision of Smash as this massive crossover between videogame giants. Geno, we can all agree, isn't a videogame giant. So, between limited character slots and the troubles of licensing him, he might not be a priority. Especially when you look at the characters and franchises that Square Enix has, there's tons of characters that fit that vision better.

I'm not saying I agree with that vision, but I certainly see it reflected in the game that Ultimate is and in Sakurai's statements.
Eh considering some of the characters that have made their way into smash I don’t think Geno being an icon or not has anything to do with it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We have statements from Reggie saying that Sakurai has never had a character request refused. So either Reggie is lying, or Sakurai's never asked SE for Geno as playable.
Reggie is lying then. We pretty much know he's tried as of Brawl. He probably mispoke. He was wrong about how Echoes work too, with the only part he got 100% right is they "have to have the same bodyshape". They don't have to have the same attributes or weight. As proven by characters like Ken. It's quite possible he was there for certain negotiations. He's not the best at wording stuff, after all.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I don't think that case would mean that Reggie is lying. He might not have heard about everything. In fact, in his exact quote, he says that Sakurai hasn't had a character request refused as far as he knows. There could easily be more that he isn't aware of, meaning he wouldn't be lying, just incorrect because he doesn't know everything behind closed doors. Also, this quote is probably only referencing Ultimate, so we don't know if he requested Geno for Ultimate in specific.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't think that case would mean that Reggie is lying. He might not have heard about everything. In fact, in his exact quote, he says that Sakurai hasn't had a character request refused as far as he knows. There could easily be more that he isn't aware of, meaning he wouldn't be lying, just incorrect because he doesn't know everything behind closed doors. Also, this quote is probably only referencing Ultimate, so we don't know if he requested Geno for Ultimate in specific.
...Oh, so it wasn't the wording I thought it was. Well, that explains it. Reggie isn't in every negotiation. Any he knows of, Sakurai got the okay for the character to be playable. That makes a lot of sense, yeah.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
There's an interview that debunks your statements here. Actual quote from Sakurai:
And regarding Geno being made a Mii costume because he wanted him in, Sakurai had this to say:
Sakurai wants Geno, but Sakurai also admitted that he isn't the only one who wants Geno.

Geno fits his vision of Smash just fine. If characters like Snake, Bayonetta, Villager, Isabelle, Miis, and Mega Man fit into Smash fine, Geno does too. The only character that Sakurai ever admitted having a hard time getting into his vision was Ridley; whom still made it in regardless. Geno doesn't have that problem.
The video game giant things isn't an important factor either. He clearly has no issues putting in characters who are virtual unknowns(a good chunk of the Nintendo cast, no less). Geno's popularity is more than enough for him to want him in. It still fits the main vision, which is the ultimate video game character crossover. Not everybody will be a gaming legend, and he knows it. Otherwise he'd never have added characters like Ice Climbers. Reality is, the only thing keeping Geno out is SE, not Sakurai. He's extremely clear he wants him in. The theory that he doesn't feel he fits in some way has no basis in reality. It doesn't make any sense. Never mind that not every 3rd party is even a gaming legend(Bayonetta says hi). He clearly isn't going for pure legends only. It's just something he finds can be important for 3rd parties, but it's proven to not be a requirement, but something he takes into account.
I really appreciate the optimism from you two. It's clear Sakurai DOES want him in, following the quotes from the interview, but the problem is he can't get Geno since it's not easy... this is Square we're dealing with, the one company that doesn't get along too well with Nintendo. If Square was willing to cooperate long ago, we would've had Geno since Brawl, making his debut; Cloud since Smash 3DS/Wii U, making his debut; and for sure we would've seen Erdrick, Sora, or Black Mage making their debut in Smash Ultimate through the base roster or DLC.

Square's had plenty of chances to become the Smash community's favorite third-party company, but they really blew it, and they might blow it a third time if we get nothing. From my perspective, I think the community's favorite third-party company is probably Konami or Sega, because they were able to contribute most: Konami giving us 34 Castlevania soundtracks, Simon and Richter, Snake returning, and giving us Dracula's Castle as a stage and in the story mode. And then there's Sega, a former rival of Nintendo who was nice enough to give us Sonic back, Bayonetta back, and give us Joker since Atlus is one of their subsidiaries and they were able to cooperate. Could you imagine Square if they were willing to cooperate? They'd probably be #1.
- Geno with a SMRPG stage in Brawl, and then the stage returns with receiving lots of SMRPG soundtracks in Smash 3DS/Wii U & Ultimate.
- Cloud with Midgar and more than two soundtracks. (Depends if Nobuo Uematsu would want to cooperate more, and I'm sure he would because he likes Sakurai and made Brawl's opening.)
- Erdrick/Sora/Black Mage with an amazing stage and lots of soundtracks to offer from.

But please, to our fellow friends that lost hope on Geno, I understand. Whether you think he's in or out, remember that we're all in this together. Look up into the positives and see the good stuff for our star.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Just got done playing Megaman 1-11 the past few days. Anything exciting or noteworthy discussions happen while I was away?

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one not bothered by their 360 appearance? Is the disdain for their most recent appearance colored by the fact that Nuts & Bolts was an awful B-K game? Or is it because it's just different from how they used to look? I associate their new look more with the original teaser for what Nuts & Bolts was supposed to be and look at the redesign somewhat fondly:
I actually like the more feminine looking Kazooie but that Banjo is an abomination and you can't convince me otherwise.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I'm genuinely confused as to what could be so earth-shattering at E3 with multiple announcements and the main one potentially overshadowing this character's inclusion in Smash.

Kingdom Hearts wouldn't be so unexpected and III just released, so I have my doubts it could be like a new exclusive Switch title and I'm not sure it would be such a big deal anyway given the series has showed up multiple times on Nintendo consoles. So, probably not Sora. And really none of Square's other properties would fit here. Geno certainly won't warrant this kind of mega reaction on his own I don't think since Smash is what would be his big news. Dragon Quest probably doesn't fit this description in large part because DQ11 Switch is coming out. Deus Ex doesn't work. Just Cause doesn't work. Etc. MAYBE Tomb Raider, but I don't think people are going to lose their **** over another Tomb Raider game at this point with how it seems the series is doing well right now.

Bethesda won't have anything to show at the conference all that new and most of it has already shown up on the Switch, so no Doom, Fallout, Wolfenstein, Elder Scrolls, etc.

Namco doesn't have a franchise or character not currently in Smash that could cause that big of a stir.

Capcom's done a good job of supporting the Switch with ports and I don't see any of their remaining characters making big splashes like that (They already did too good of a job reviving most of their franchises and I sadly don't think enough people will love Phoenix Wright or Amaterasu enough to make them headliners for anything any time soon).

Konami doesn't have anyone big left to put into Smash really (Edit: I should probably give Frogger some credit, but he ain't making headlines).

Koei Tecmo doesn't have any IPs big enough to pull that kind of clout.

I'm not sure Take Two interactive has a whole lot it could bring to Switch of note. Sure, GTA V would be a big deal, but what character would they realistically have to put in Smash with a corresponding game? Neither Red Dead will be coming to Switch, Bioshock isn't really such a big deal unless it's on some sort of crazy comeback, and most people don't give a damn if Duke Nukem stays dead after his failure with Forever.

Sega has lots of IPs, but none even big as Sonic really, so they're probably out.

Ubisoft doesn't really have characters that work in Smash to begin with and again, none of their announcements could really be earth-shattering since most of their IPs are generally accounted for anyway (And Rayman's probably not enough on his own despite being their best Smash candidate I would argue).

EA has almost nothing of note and generally can't produce a decent game these days anyway. They DO have the license to the Star Wars video games, so MAYYYBE that could work, but that's such a stretch.

That really only leaves a few companies that could pull anything major at E3 that both makes sense in Smash and would be a cataclysmic announcement:

Activision Blizzard could potentially make some new headlines if they went for like a revival of Crash exclusively on Nintendo or if they did a big Overwatch push on Swtich... But I don't see them pushing anything exclusive since they love money way too much and Overwatch is kind of struggling these days anyway. They've got lots of IPs, but not tons of characters and not a whole lot of reasons to work exclusively with Nintendo.

Sony doesn't seem interested in playing nice with Nintendo or Microsoft at all this generation and won't even be at E3.

I've got no reason to believe that Valve has any interest in the console market at this time (or hell, in making games period), so I'm going to guess it's probably not something like Gordon Freeman, Chell, or Heavy.

Honestly, Microsoft is the only company I see positioned to do anything earth-shattering for Nintendo and Switch at this moment. My first instinct would be Halo coming to Switch with all titles and some sort of exclusive Switch Halo, but they're also busy making Infinite and we've had Chief deconfirmed. Steve seems practically out at this point as well. Cuphead sure won't work. Gears of War probably won't work. Banjo's genuinely one of the only characters I even see having a shot since he would have to come with another big roll-out and his revival would be a big deal, especially if it's on Switch given the level of cross-company coordination such an endeavor would require.

I've been hearing about some mega-announcement in the industry and I just don't know what it could be. We've spent so much time digging up franchises in the past few years, many of which wouldn't be such a big deal on Switch specifically anyway, that I just don't know. Microsoft seems to be the only one outside of maybe Activision Blizzard and maybe Take-Two that could really cause a fuss...
Even if they were planning to only do the 5 characters and had strict plans to not do any more, I still don't see why they would go out of their way to program a set limit for the website.
This. Personally I’ve always felt that too many people take their every word to heart. Half the time I think these representatives and developers are just looking for whatever talking points to get through an interview. Even if that means coming up with excuses.
For the longest Ridley’s chances were downplayed because of his size, which probably wasn’t the case. Even Bowser’s size seems pretty inconsistent throughout multiple games.SMrpg,N64, Melee, Mario Party, etc.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Despite them being the biggest barrier for Geno, I don't think that Square's completely at fault. SE is in a weird situation right now struggling to hold onto the title of being one of the industry's biggest mainline developers. Whatever character they agree on, it will be one they decide to be the best option to benefit SE and SE alone. I don't think the legacy Smash has and it's representation of video game icons crosses their mind nearly as much as the idea of staying afloat as one of the worlds largest developers. They probably are difficult to work with and for good reason imo. The evidence for that is literally on our copies SSBU with Cloud getting 2 spirits and 2 songs in base compared to all the other 3rd parties who were given plenty of representation.

So, yeah I am pointing fingers at SE but I think it goes a lot deeper than them blatantly and explicitly saying "No." however I'm still gonna hold all parties accountable for not adding Geno regardless of the situation.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Just got done playing Megaman 1-11 the past few days. Anything exciting or noteworthy discussions happen while I was away?
Their was a tweet Sakurai recently did when he retweeted about a stage in stage builder being based off of chrono trigger. PaPaGenos recently uploaded a video on the matter and some are wondering if this confirms Chrono is in fact going to be the square rep and not erdrick.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I really appreciate the optimism from you two. It's clear Sakurai DOES want him in, following the quotes from the interview, but the problem is he can't get Geno since it's not easy... this is Square we're dealing with, the one company that doesn't get along too well with Nintendo. If Square was willing to cooperate long ago, we would've had Geno since Brawl, making his debut; Cloud since Smash 3DS/Wii U, making his debut; and for sure we would've seen Erdrick, Sora, or Black Mage making their debut in Smash Ultimate through the base roster or DLC.

Square's had plenty of chances to become the Smash community's favorite third-party company, but they really blew it, and they might blow it a third time if we get nothing. From my perspective, I think the community's favorite third-party company is probably Konami or Sega, because they were able to contribute most: Konami giving us 34 Castlevania soundtracks, Simon and Richter, Snake returning, and giving us Dracula's Castle as a stage and in the story mode. And then there's Sega, a former rival of Nintendo who was nice enough to give us Sonic back, Bayonetta back, and give us Joker since Atlus is one of their subsidiaries and they were able to cooperate. Could you imagine Square if they were willing to cooperate? They'd probably be #1.
- Geno with a SMRPG stage in Brawl, and then the stage returns with receiving lots of SMRPG soundtracks in Smash 3DS/Wii U & Ultimate.
- Cloud with Midgar and more than two soundtracks. (Depends if Nobuo Uematsu would want to cooperate more, and I'm sure he would because he likes Sakurai and made Brawl's opening.)
- Erdrick/Sora/Black Mage with an amazing stage and lots of soundtracks to offer from.

But please, to our fellow friends that lost hope on Geno, I understand. Whether you think he's in or out, remember that we're all in this together. Look up into the positives and see the good stuff for our star.
There's something that everyone forgets here that should be addressed before we continue to grind Square's reputation even further into the dust:
Adherence to a pre-determined development schedule.

Why wasn't Geno added to Sm4sh? Because when they decided the last DLC characters after Ryu (Cloud, Corrin, Bayonetta) they didn't have time add another character before the Ballot results returned. Those last three were decided long before their respective announcements. When the ballot results came in before the time of Cloud's announcement, they saw some certain results different than what they expected. A number of characters whom they didn't expect to get such attention were at the top of the list... Which is why they had to word Bayonetta's "ballot victory" in a very specific way.

With ballot results in hand, they quickly went to work with Square to get Geno for a costume. They didn't have time for any more characters as it had already been decided that Bayonetta was the end. While they could have chosen to work on more DLC, Sakurai instead opted to start making preparations for Ultimate, so that the ballot results would actually mean something much more tangible. Ultimate's additions were almost ENTIRELY ballot picks: Returning vets like Wolf, Snake, and the Climbers, and newcomers such as K. Rool, Simon, Isabelle, and Ridley.

As far as I can tell, from all of the fan-ballots from various communities, Ultimate has added a decent chunk of the most popular characters from the ballot. The rest that didn't make it in as characters became either assist trophies (Bomberman, Shovel Knight, and Isaac) or were made into costumes during Sm4sh and transferred over (like Ashley and Takamaru). However, with Ultimate out now, we're missing two vital characters who I KNOW had to have been within the top 15 of the ballot: Banjo-Kazooie, and Geno. (Technically, I believe Bandanna Waddle Dee is also up there, but he's not who I'm focusing on right now)

Anyway, when they started development for Ultimate, they worked tirelessly to meet the top picks from the ballot. And even then, there were still certain characters that had priority (and by that I literally mean Incineroar) But the team still had to adhere to a pre-determined development schedule, something they don't have to worry about with DLC. Despite the ballot picks, Sakurai played this game called Persona 5, and had to have Joker as the first major DLC character. With most of the top ballot results in, and his own super-personal pick out of the way, there are only a few much wanted ballot characters left to choose from.

I also personally doubt that Erdrick was even anywhere near the top 50 on the ballot.

Anyway, all of that to say: before we start chucking more mud at Square for why Geno isn't in, remember that there was effort needed, time put in, and certain priorities kept in order to make the game we're speculating about. These last 4 DLC characters are what we believe are a free-for-all, but I personally believe the ballot still has an influence here.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Their was a tweet Sakurai recently did when he retweeted about a stage in stage builder being based off of chrono trigger. PaPaGenos recently uploaded a video on the matter and some are wondering if this confirms Chrono is in fact going to be the square rep and not erdrick.
I sincerely doubt that. I think he was just fascinated and gave it acknowledgment. Could also be hinting at a Crono Mii costume coming with another SE rep.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I sincerely doubt that. I think he was just fascinated and gave it acknowledgment. Could also be hinting at a Crono Mii costume coming with another SE rep.
Oh Okay that would make sense. I just wonder if we do have to wait till E3 for any other newcomer to be shown or maybe we will get a direct before E3? That' kept my mind spinning lately.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Oh Okay that would make sense. I just wonder if we do have to wait till E3 for any other newcomer to be shown or maybe we will get a direct before E3? That' kept my mind spinning lately.
I'm afraid that I'm placing my bets on E3. It's gonna be a heck of a wait, I'm sure, and I'm over here just like, "Rip off the bandage already!!"

link2702

Smash Champion
so can't decide If i want to buy FF9 and 10 again for the switch when I've got copies of the originals on ps1 and 2.....

on one hand....waaaaaaay clearer resolution and portability.....

on the other......I can tolerate the poorer resolution and graphics on the originals just fine, and nintendo/square are charging way too much atm imo when the pc versions are cheaper....

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
so can't decide If i want to buy FF9 and 10 again for the switch when I've got copies of the originals on ps1 and 2.....

on one hand....waaaaaaay clearer resolution and portability.....

on the other......I can tolerate the poorer resolution and graphics on the originals just fine, and nintendo/square are charging way too much atm imo when the pc versions are cheaper....
Unless your current games aren't working right, there's not much reason to get a new version. Higher resolution barely matters. Now things like fixed bugs/etc. heavily helped a game's playability. HD in itself is barely worth getting a remake over. However, it can be a good idea if you have issues with your current system/game, prefer an updated control scheme, and so on. Or basically, look for reasons besides "somewhat looking better", as it won't heavily improve the enjoyment for you. Which should be an important reason to get any remake. :)

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Nothing that's as exciting as playing all the Mega Man games.
TBH, if we get our SE rep in E3, I could see Crono more than Erdrick.

I wonder if that has to do with the overshadowing reveal Fatman teased...

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I'm angry at you because I'm on mobile right now, thought that was a link, and started tapping :mad088:
Oh I'm sorry.
I hope I didn't break your concentration.
Unless your current games aren't working right, there's not much reason to get a new version. Higher resolution barely matters. Now things like fixed bugs/etc. heavily helped a game's playability. HD in itself is barely worth getting a remake over. However, it can be a good idea if you have issues with your current system/game, prefer an updated control scheme, and so on. Or basically, look for reasons besides "somewhat looking better", as it won't heavily improve the enjoyment for you. Which should be an important reason to get any remake. :)
Yes! Now that I finally continued and finished FF7 after all these years, I am looking forward to the remake! Hoping it comes soon!

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

Them saying no to him being playable is not the same thing as them saying no to him being a Mii Costume or Spirit. They're not equivalent. Sakurai couldn't make him playable(most likely cause SE said no), but was able to get something close with the MIi Costume instead. All it proves is they're willing to allow Sakurai to use the character, but it doesn't prove that they'd be okay with him being playable. It seems more likely they aren't, as nothing has changed since Brawl in reality. The point was him being playable, something Sakurai made quite clear. Not a costume. Or a trophy. Or a sticker. Or a spirit. But playable. Nothing else matters in that regard. You're given absolutely zero reasons to believe Square-Enix isn't the one saying No that makes any clear sense. You make it sound like he didn't try to get Geno playable in 4 as well. We don't know. He made it clear he still wanted him playable since Brawl. The only known barrier has pretty clearly been Square-Enix at this point, the only logical explanation that makes some remote sense. They may not be a barrier forever, but since he must go to them for licensing, the fact he isn't playable points to the sole logical explanation; Square-Enix simply said no. It is actually that plain and simple. There's no reason to make up silly conspiracy theories when nothing about his situation of being playable has changed. Looks pretty much like the same thing as earlier since Brawl, SE said no to that particular usage of the character. You are aware there was a ton of negotiation required just to get SMRPG on the VC, right? They have proven to be clearly difficult to work with as is. Let's not pretend it has severely changed. Look at how little we have in Ultimate still.

Indeed. There's so many damn good choices for costumes~

I'm going to have to agree with ForsakenM ForsakenM and say that there's nothing to indicate Square Enix has directly turned down Geno as a playable character at any point. Hell, I'd argue all the objective evidence points to Square being very willing to lend the Super Mario RPG content to Sakurai and Nintendo with how often both the game gets re-released and how much content from the game has been seen in Smash from those games.

There's no evidence or way of proving anything beyond those releases. Sakurai didn't go into detail about why Geno didn't make it into Brawl, he says that, "Geno was actually a character I wanted to include as a fighter... I was hoping I'd be able to put him in as far back as Brawl, but unfortunately that never ended up materializing." (https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016...ans-one-most-requested-smash-bros-characters/). That doesn't tell us anything or that Sakurai even actually went forward with any of his plans for his inclusion on Geno. Saying, "I wanted to include [Geno] as a fighter" doesn't tell us anything other than Sakurai considered him at some point. And that's the issue I take with anyone pushing Square as the bad guy. Sakurai has considered lots of characters and has many recorded instances of mentioning a character in some capacity. Banjo, James Bond, Ayumi Tachibana, Mach Rider, etc. Expressing an interest in these characters or the idea of wanting to put them in, does not really indicate anything about how far they went in the process. Characters don't happen for all kinds of reasons.

Take the Brawl era for instance. There's a few things worth noting before we start saying that Square Enix definitively turned down Geno specifically. First off, Brawl was a hugely ambitious game that already struggled to include characters in the finished product. The Forbidden Seven are well known at this point and highlight a reality with Brawl: The project was too ambitious. Subspace, all of those modes, the number of characters in the game, etc. It all came at a price of not everything making into the final product. It's also probably the most horrendously balanced game of the series too. And that's entirely focusing on how the finished product didn't manage to adhere to what seems to have been the original plans. It's possible many potential characters were left on the cutting room floor of determining who to include. It's possible Geno never made it into the original product plan or went forward in any way as Sakurai prioritized other ideas. And Brawl was definitely a game that had a LOT of other more notable characters going into it at the time.

Let's also consider the fact that third parties were in Smash were in their genesis with Brawl. Snake was the ONLY third party originally planned for Brawl as Sonic came much later in the process. And we already know Snake was largely included due to special circumstances from Kojima's request to Sakurai. This is an era in which third party characters in Smash weren't an expectation and we had a less experienced Sakurai (with regards to third parties) directing those inclusions. It's possible Sakurai didn't want to go too far in including third parties or didn't want to expend the effort negotiating with several third parties for characters. He may not have had the power he now wields with regards to third parties, and it's possible third parties in Smash was still an unproven concept to other developers as well. The situation with third parties was very different back then as opposed to now. So, again, it's possible Geno didn't make it just because Sakurai didn't want too much focus on third parties or didn't feel as confident in his ability to negotiate with certain other companies since he was just starting to incorporate them in this period.

Then, there's the other elephant in the room. The project plan would have been created in late 2005/early 2006 and any third party inclusions would have been decided during that time frame. Square Enix had just returned to Nintendo consoles in the early 2000s after their rocky split in the 90s (http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...e_back_after_losing_final_fantasy_vii_to_sony) and was focusing their Nintendo content on spin-offs and remakes, particularly with an eye to portable games. They were still rebuilding much of that relationship and there's also some evidence that Square needed a way out after their failure with that early 2000s period (http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/7103/nintendo-and-square-settlement-details). So, their relationship wasn't exactly stellar or close at the time either. That may have been a huge barrier to Geno in multiple ways that prevented his inclusion without anything being said specifically on Geno. Maybe Sakurai thought Square Enix would be completely to impossible to negotiate with and abandoned the idea of including him. Maybe Square Enix just straight up refused to have anything to do with Smash and Sakurai. Maybe Sakurai pitched an idea for a character in Smash and they decided against it all together.

I'm using a lot of "maybe" and "possibly" because we just don't know any specifics or have any evidence. Almost anything could have happened and I completely disagree that there is anything resembling a clear way to read this situation and Sakurai's brief comments on Geno.

And once you get past Brawl, things get more difficult to make some sort of clear idea of Geno being turned down specifically. In his interviews regarding Square and Cloud in Smash, Sakurai expressed one primary idea: fulfilling the requests with regards to Final Fantasy and choosing to represent that series (https://www.gamnesia.com/news/sakur...ve-used-terra-or-bartz-as-the-final-fantasy-c ). He went in for a Final Fantasy character and came out with Cloud. That's what we know definitively and he also came with a Geno Mii costume (one of two Mii costumes from Square Enix). I'll also argue that his statements on Geno that I sourced above appear as a way to celebrate fan demand for the character and make sure they get something despite ascribing a priority status to Final Fantasy as he cast his net wider on third parties for Smash 4 and its DLC cycle. He could have been considered for base game, but Smash 4 also seemed to entirely prioritize characters with recent appearances and Geno sure as hell didn't fit that. Not to mention, we lost a third party and only picked up two new ones (one of whom was helping make the game). There's not really evidence for or against the idea of him being considered for base, but I'd wager it unlikely.

Once we get to Ultimate, there are other issues too. Ultimate only managed to have seven newcomers intended for the game, so "slots" were already extremely contested for those. We also run into the potential issues of scope of the project again as Piranha Plant seems to pretty clearly have been planned for base game and just shifted when the timing wasn't working out. And to be fair, they included four of the unique newcomers off of fan demand already, so it's not like he didn't make a lot of active effort already in that area. He also made getting Konami back one of the priorities and we only saw expanded content really with Capcom and Ken. Third parties take time and money to make it into Smash, and it's again entirely possible that the constraints of Smash Ultimate meant that adding a newcomer like Geno as fairly unfeasible or that he just simply didn't prioritize him for base game. And we even see Square Enix willing to go further with Super Mario RPG content in Smash as they've allowed references to Megasmilax and also let them include Geno and Mallow spirits in the game. Not to mention, maybe just getting Cloud back in base game was the real priority that Sakurai made with regards to Smash.

Both the most recent Smash games have seen Geno appear in some form, so the evidence points to Square not really caring too much about things. Yes, they do have to agree to a character that Nintendo requests and work with them, but they don't seem to have had a problem with allowing Geno based upon what we've physically seen. There are SEVERAL different points where Geno may have run into issues as an inclusion that had nothing to do with Square Enix turning him down specifically.

I could be wrong, of course. If something comes out tomorrow from Sakurai that says Square turned down his request to include Geno in Smash, I'll eat my words and own up to believing too much in them while also mourning such a devastating statement. But I don't agree with any of the vilification of Square that I ever see with regards to Geno. And I'm a firm believer that if Sakurai wanted to make Geno a priority and see his inclusion in the series, we'd see him as playable just as soon as he could be developed and that Square would have no problem making money off of a character they don't even really care about in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom