• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm pretty sure a lot of people used multiple votes in the ballot (that's another reason why I think it's a good thing that Nintendo avoided from announcing the results, they aren't 100% reliable).

Firox

Smash Master
I remember I used someone else’s laptop just so I could cheat and vote for both Claus and Ninten.
I did the same thing!....except for Wolf, Isaac and Geno.....don't judge me...I missed my one-eyed space animal from Brawl like you wouldn't believe.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I did the same thing!....except for Wolf, Isaac and Geno.....don't judge me...I missed my one-eyed space animal from Brawl like you wouldn't believe.
Now that you mention it, I think I might have voted Wolf on a friends computer since I was super paranoid for some reason heh.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Not lodging myself into all the other stuff going on in this back-and-forth, but I've been adopting this more lately. I think it helps that I'm familiarizing more with DQ and I've warmed up a lot to Erdrick. (He's adorable. He's tiny. He's got a fem alt. I only hate the color scheme of his freaking SFC design. Sorry y'all, that magenta cape has GOT to go.) I've become a lot more chill... and I'm appreciating what Geno has been getting. He's been getting a lot of attention and affection, even if only in doses other people would consider small. He got a spirit in the base game when no other extra SE properties did beyond Mallow. He got his Mii costume in 4, which we're likely getting back as DLC again. He's gotten references outside of Smash from both NoA (the HQ quiz, tweets, etc.) and NoJ (the Super Mario-Kun segment, Smash and debatably Crafted World SMRPG references).

At the very least, he's getting acknowledged again and Nintendo knows we love him. That does my heart so good.
Yo, don't diss the cape. Magenta cape is fabulous.
...So if not buying the Mii Costume makes you a bad Geno fan what about those of us who didn’t vote for him in the ballot for differing reasons?
Not only are we bad fans but bad people as well. Shame on us.
A while back there was some Corrin talk/badmouthing. Y'all acting like if Corrin wasn't Smash 4 DLC, (s)he wouldn't have been a newcomer this game? Fire Emblem has gotten new reps each game since the series joined Smash. It was inevitable (s)he would get in, since she was the newest protagonist of a fully new Fire Emblem game.
Considering we only got six unique newcomers, plus Chrom as an echo, and Fates' reception, there was no chance in hell Corrin debuted in Ultimate.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Yo, don't diss the cape. Magenta cape is fabulous.
Naw boy that thing nasty. His old Famicom design's cape is a complimentary color. The magenta is random and garish and gross. I am an expert in Cool Capes™, I would know this. :mad088:

D

Deleted member

EHHHHHHH I doubt it. Nintendo loves to slowly milk whatever they're releasing. I'd bet they're going to wait until E3 to do a double reveal.

Though I think some characters will be delayed. Unless Nintendo shows/releases 1 character every 2.5 months starting this month or they pair them from here on out. Choosing to show/release the Joker first was a very bad idea(choosing the character was an even worse idea.)

And Eric, above me, I agree with you. Nintendo has never done this must sell this well (x) for Y to continue on. I've never once seen NIntendo say or do this.
Well, I was actually joking

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Naw boy that thing nasty. His old Famicom design's cape is a complimentary color. The magenta is random and garish and gross. I am an expert in Cool Capes™, I would know this. :mad088:
Well I am an expert in Fabulousness and random and garish is exactly what I'm looking for. Erdrick's Fab is off the charts.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I remember voting for Shantae and Rayman in the Sm4sh ballot , but I was more like "eh , would be neat if they got in".
Guys stop with the gloom and doom please...

Every day someone goes from cautiously optimistic, to pessimistic, and back again. Seriously at this point we just don’t have any idea what genos chances are. Going around in circles constantly feeling they go one way, then another, then back again, is not healthy.

Start discussing anything else really, from moveset ideas, to mario lore, to even other favorite games, but we’re better off atm not trying to “search for more clues” about whether his chance has went up, down, or stayed the same. We’re in April now, and we literally don’t have any more real news or even questionable leaks to go off of since...what? 3-4 months now? That goes for both good news and bad.

Some of y’all will drive yourselves mad trying to reanalyze the same info we’ve had for months now to see if something we missed pops up.
I agree , right now... We pretty much analyzed everything there was.

His spirit didn't change much in my opinion. It may make him less likely for FP 1 , since it would take some time to negotiate for him again + developpment time.
And while I'm a bit pessimistic for Smash... I'm very optimistic for his future in Mario mainstream.

It's way ****ING EASIER to bring him (and the SMRPG Crew) back to Mario mainstream , because there is way less competition , more opportunites , and no actual slots. (All the sport games , party games , RPGs , platformers , ect...)
I'm going to say it again , but if anyone can help for operation starfall , do it. Signing the petition and raising awareness for it is already a lot ;

I can tell you that this petition is an actual proof of our love for SMRPG.
And that from now on , it can only get better if we play our cards right.

Also , a lot of Mario games are only made by one company (Nintendo or something like Camelot or Alphadream) , so this make negotiations for a SMRPG DLC / Use of SMRPG rights way less complicated.

I mean , if people want 'em , and that there is enough noise for good ol' puppet , nimbus , purple croc and coe , why would Nintendo and Square Enix ignore it ?
They have a good relationship , so if both parties see profit and interest by using those characters... Why not ?

I also doubt that Square Enix would refuse the opportunity to developp a Mario game... I honestly doubt that most companies would refuse that , it's stinkin' Mario folks , a video game GIANT.

Square Enix has nothing against SMRPG , as a company , they simply used the game when it was profitable (VC Re-release and Geno Mii costume) since... It was the only opportunities they really had to use the game. (Beside the possible request from Sakurai to have Geno in Brawl , but Cloud was coming first , and his support just started back in the day.)

That's the thing , SE can't really do much with SMRPG without Nintendo help.
At best , I could see them releasing figurines of the original characters of SMRPG. (and then there is some characters like Gaz or Boshi wich has complicated legal issues. They are from a Mario specie owned by Nintendo , but are original characters that only appeared in SMRPG so... That's a bit weird.)

We don't even know how the rights for SMRPG soundtrack really work.
How much power do Yoko Shimomrura has over it ? Did SE never made a physical album because it would have the Mario and Nintendo brand ? There's a lot of questions about that.

-----

So , in short... Speculate about those possibilities.

Try to understand how the DLCs decisions for stuff like Mario Kart was handled.
Try to collect infos on how SE use the soundtrack of their games.
Try your damn best (and I know that a lot of you already are) to convince Square Enix and Nintendo that SMRPG IS WORTH A SECOND CHANCE.
NOT JUST THROUGH SMASH , BUT ALSO THROUGH MARIO MAINSTREAM.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Well I am an expert in Fabulousness and random and garish is exactly what I'm looking for. Erdrick's Fab is off the charts.
Well I am an expert in detecting nerds and YOU'RE A NERD. A BIG OL' NERD.

(Nah I'm ok with either design, though. Famicom Erdrick is just tinier and cuter. Therefore, I am very biased.)

D

Deleted member

I actually found a leak of Joker's stage, but take it with a grain of salt:

mento_mint.jpg

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I remember voting for Shantae and Rayman in the Sm4sh ballot , but I was more like "eh , would be neat if they got in".

I agree , right now... We pretty much analyzed everything there was.

His spirit didn't change much in my opinion. It may make him less likely for FP 1 , since it would take some time to negotiate for him again + developpment time.
And while I'm a bit pessimistic for Smash... I'm very optimistic for his future in Mario mainstream.

It's way ****ING EASIER to bring him (and the SMRPG Crew) back to Mario mainstream , because there is way less competition , more opportunites , and no actual slots. (All the sport games , party games , RPGs , platformers , ect...)
I'm going to say it again , but if anyone can help for operation starfall , do it. Signing the petition and raising awareness for it is already a lot ;

I can tell you that this petition is an actual proof of our love for SMRPG.
And that from now on , it can only get better if we play our cards right.

Also , a lot of Mario games are only made by one company (Nintendo or something like Camelot or Alphadream) , so this make negotiations for a SMRPG DLC / Use of SMRPG rights way less complicated.

I mean , if people want 'em , and that there is enough noise for good ol' puppet , nimbus , purple croc and coe , why would Nintendo and Square Enix ignore it ?
They have a good relationship , so if both parties see profit and interest by using those characters... Why not ?

I also doubt that Square Enix would refuse the opportunity to developp a Mario game... I honestly doubt that most companies would refuse that , it's stinkin' Mario folks , a video game GIANT.

Square Enix has nothing against SMRPG , as a company , they simply used the game when it was profitable (VC Re-release and Geno Mii costume) since... It was the only opportunities they really had to use the game. (Beside the possible request from Sakurai to have Geno in Brawl , but Cloud was coming first , and his support just started back in the day.)

That's the thing , SE can't really do much with SMRPG without Nintendo help.
At best , I could see them releasing figurines of the original characters of SMRPG. (and then there is some characters like Gaz or Boshi wich has complicated legal issues. They are from a Mario specie owned by Nintendo , but are original characters that only appeared in SMRPG so... That's a bit weird.)

We don't even know how the rights for SMRPG soundtrack really work.
How much power do Yoko Shimomrura has over it ? Did SE never made a physical album because it would have the Mario and Nintendo brand ? There's a lot of questions about that.

-----

So , in short... Speculate about those possibilities.

Try to understand how the DLCs decisions for stuff like Mario Kart was handled.
Try to collect infos on how SE use the soundtrack of their games.
Try your damn best (and I know that a lot of you already are) to convince Square Enix and Nintendo that SMRPG IS WORTH A SECOND CHANCE.
NOT JUST THROUGH SMASH , BUT ALSO THROUGH MARIO MAINSTREAM.
I'll agree that getting him back through another Mario Square collaboration would be an idea move to really shut people up about him being "just a one-off" and renew a ton of interest in him. That's our best shot all around if he doesn't inherently make it into Smash Ultimate.

But I also think it’s entirely unlikely to see him in a non-Square produced spinoff. I feel like as a third party character that’s also not always got the biggest backing, he’s hard to justify Square Enix getting involved with otherwise completely in house produced Mario Kart, Mario Party, and Mario spin-off titles.

The big thing that Smash has that makes it the ideal Geno venue is that Square’d already at the table and willing to provide content for the game. Sakurai also works with several third parties and it’s an expected reality of Smash at this point where the spinoffs have almost entirely ignored and not gotten involved with. I doubt they’re going to get involved with third parties just for Geno like that when most of his support isn’t for his inclusion on those games. Plus, we’ve specifically got a director who likes Geno and potentially wants to include him, and I think it’s pretty unlikely that we’ll find a similar scenario with those spin-offs that don’t have such big name directors.

I think that’s why we need to rely so heavily on Smash for Geno. It’s either Smash or something else that Nintendo and Square inherently collaborate on with the Mario license. And I definitely think Smash is the more likely and easiest route to seeing Geno again of our options.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm tellin' ya. They're gonna have a direct on April 30th at 11:59 pm.
Lol! So true. :joyful:

I voted for Shantae. I still liked Geno back then, I was just not that involved with the community.
I voted for K. Rool during the Ballot and I'm proud of it.

King K. Rool got my vote because he was my biggest fan pick and I thought Ridley was dead because of Pyrosphere. Quite happy with how those specific situations turned out and feel ridiculously lucky that I got my four of my most wanted characters from base Smash 4 speculation by now (Shulk, Mewtwo, Ridley, and King K. Rool with an extra Simon Belmont that I didn't prioritize, but really wanted to see as well).
Same here. During Smash 4 speculation Mewtwo, King K. Rool, and Ridley were my most wanted characters and I got Mewtwo back at least in that game. I thought Ridley was dead as well because of Pyrosphere and I voted for K. Rool in the Ballot.

I actually found a leak of Joker's stage, but take it with a grain of salt:

Mentos Mint is going to be the best stage ever.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
So, Nintendo of Europe is the next in line to do an oopsie, even if only a small one! This time, our leaky faucets at Nintendo have leaked Joker's full HD render!

We should definitely be getting a full reveal VERY soon. Also, his render looks freaking AMAZING.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
And they did announce Lucas last time after showing off Mewtwo, but who knows how things work out this time...
Which is why I believe the start of this Smash Direct, that is if we get another one, will start with Joker's splash screen and gameplay. At the end of the Direct, I think it will reveal the 2nd DLC character.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
So, Nintendo of Europe is the next in line to do an oopsie, even if only a small one! This time, our leaky faucets at Nintendo have leaked Joker's full HD render!

We should definitely be getting a full reveal VERY soon. Also, his render looks freaking AMAZING.

I’m convinced these are all on purpose at this point. There’s no way Nintendo would just let all this “super secretive” stuff just leak right?

BE0CAC6D-5B96-4A69-8AF9-F49FE774A460.jpeg

Oh who am I kidding. This is just getting sad.

Which is why I believe the start of this Smash Direct, that is if we get another one, will start with Joker's splash screen and gameplay. At the end of the Direct, I think it will reveal the 2nd DLC character.
Same, hoping for a curveball. ie not a Square character/Banjo/Steve. Someone that isn’t talked about a lot.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Same, hoping for a curveball. ie not a Square character/Banjo/Steve. Someone that isn’t talked about a lot.
Yeah, I think that's why it feels so dull right now is that we have some educated guesses floating around for the next character, the most common and accepted one being Erdrick. With Joker, no one saw him coming. I'd love to be surprised again, even though of those, Banjo and a Square character that isn't Erdrick would actually surprise me anyway.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Yeah, I think that's why it feels so dull right now is that we have some educated guesses floating around for the next character, the most common and accepted one being Erdrick. With Joker, no one saw him coming. I'd love to be surprised again, even though of those, Banjo and a Square character that isn't Erdrick would actually surprise me anyway.
I know he’s mega unlikely but...

1555462654338.jpeg

I can dream right?

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Wow, Nintendo and leaks go together like Popeye and spinach lately...

Leaking Joker's render isn't too terrible, especially now that Best Buy have already shown it (the stage builder leak was a big oof even if it was obvious). It's nice being able to see the full model in HD. I have never played Persona 5 nor the series/SMT in general, and that is one NICE looking render. Whoever the 4 remaining characters will be are in good ****ing hands it would seem.

Also as much as I am all rooting and positive for Geno and apathetic to Erdrick, you're pretty bias if you think there's no evidence beyond "leaker" chat towards him. The codename Brave matches him perfectly alone, any other attempts to correlate Brave to a fighter have been extremely forced. B for Brave and B for Banjo, or my favourite "x character is brave in his/her game!". Brave translating to Hero (the Japanese word, I'm sure someone will correct me) makes Erdrick almost a lock in my opinion.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Well, 3.0.0 info is out and Joker is dropping tomorrow! No word on the supposed Jane alt, though, so maybe that's just... part of Arsene? It makes little sense, but, uh... okay! Looks awesome, though!

That said, we have bonus Mii costumes along with Joker, and that makes me think that's bad news for Geno. I have a feeling his Mii costume is coming back with Erdrick's pack, and he's basically totally deconfirmed for the Fighter's Pass. It's what I expected, but it's still pretty disheartening. I'm at least looking forward to the costume. That said, if Erdrick drops WITHOUT that, then I'll be rather suspicious.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Well, 3.0.0 info is out and Joker is dropping tomorrow! No word on the supposed Jane alt, though, so maybe that's just... part of Arsene? It makes little sense, but, uh... okay! Looks awesome, though!

That said, we have bonus Mii costumes along with Joker, and that makes me think that's bad news for Geno. I have a feeling his Mii costume is coming back with Erdrick's pack, and he's basically totally deconfirmed for the Fighter's Pass. It's what I expected, but it's still pretty disheartening. I'm at least looking forward to the costume. That said, if Erdrick drops WITHOUT that, then I'll be rather suspicious.
>tfw Geno is the 2nd character and comes with an Erdrick costume

Also I’m hyped as **** for Joker now and I’ve never played Persona. Will definitely be buying him tomorrow.

Attachments

Ovaltine

Smash Master
>tfw Geno is the 2nd character and comes with an Erdrick costume

Also I’m hyped as **** for Joker now and I’ve never played Persona. Will definitely be buying him tomorrow.
I'd love that, man, but I think the writing's on the wall already. It's alright, though. I think he has a darn good shot for future DLC, if it happens. Here's hoping. Along with that, Nintendo's still given Geno a lot of love lately, so I think something might still be in the works for him, just not necessarily for Smash. I can feel it in my bones.

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice
No costume, I guess we're safe for now. Still, 10 months for the other 4 characters, seems like a packed schedule.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Based on what? Other characters being shown as Mii costumes?

By that logic, the same could be said for literally any other character.
The Tails and Knuckles costume are returning ones. I think those are the only other SEGA ones we got in Sm4sh? Do correct me if I'm wrong. If I'm not, it means every 3rd party costume should be coming back with rep packs, which would include Geno's. Tails and Knux are the two returning ones here, with the Square Enix rep's pack including Geno and Chocobo, also two costumes.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I'd love that, man, but I think the writing's on the wall already. It's alright, though. I think he has a darn good shot for future DLC, if it happens. Here's hoping. Along with that, Nintendo's still given Geno a lot of love lately, so I think something might still be in the works for him, just not necessarily for Smash. I can feel it in my bones.
I mean I’m just don’t see it as much of a done deal as you do. I still think all the Erdrick stuff could be leakbait. And even as he’s not in this pack like you said he could be in s future one. I just don’t see the point of seeing it as a definite no if we have no actual official answer or even a leak that physically shows Erdrick.

D

Deleted member

I do think he has a good shot at future DLC but that's the question, Will we get future DLC? There's things pointing for it and against it.

But then there's this
Fighters Pass.png

Which seems pretty damning for future DLC unless they surprise us which they totally could but at the moment it doesn't seem all too likely.

But besides that there was no mention of a "Jack frost skill" within the entire direct and it didn't even show up in the background or anything so the Joker/Erdrick leak looks to be dead which we can take as a good thing for Geno since that leak really pushed the idea of Erdrick.

This entire thing is a mess but there's some things that was showed off or lack thereof that may point to Geno.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
The Tails and Knuckles costume are returning ones. I think those are the only other SEGA ones we got in Sm4sh? Do correct me if I'm wrong. If I'm not, it means every 3rd party costume should be coming back with rep packs, which would include Geno's. Tails and Knux are the two returning ones here, with the Square Enix rep's pack including Geno and Chocobo, also two costumes.
Sega also had costumes for Akira and Jacky from Virtua Fighter.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I do think he has a good shot at future DLC but that's the question, Will we get future DLC? There's things pointing for it and against it.

But then there's this View attachment 209215
Which seems pretty damning for future DLC unless they surprise us which they totally could but at the moment it doesn't seem all too likely.

But besides that there was no mention of a "Jack frost skill" within the entire direct and it didn't even show up in the background or anything so the Joker/Erdrick leak looks to be dead which we can take as a good thing for Geno since that leak really pushed the idea of Erdrick.

This entire thing is a mess but there's some things that was showed off or lack thereof that may point to Geno.
Yeah, but Erdrick's biggest leg was and still is Tansut, the dude who leaked Cloud. On top of the 'brave' datamine, things just look clearer for me now myself. Not trying to be doom and gloom here, just realistic. I still think Geno could easily get in through future DLC of some kind.

As for the slots, of course they're only going to list the other four that we're missing. They can easily update the site. Adding more than just the four fighters we've not yet seen is an exposure of cards. Why would they do that?

Sega also had costumes for Akira and Jacky from Virtua Fighter.
Oh, hm. Very interesting.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

But then there's this View attachment 209215

Yeah I definitely noticed that too. No Jack Frost skill shown whatsoever and he didn’t even show up as a taunt which makes me think that “leak” may have been bull****.

D

Deleted member

Akira and Jackie's Mii costumes are also from Sega, and then there were all the other new Persona Mii costumes.

So, we got some new and some returning, which, again, means any character who isn't already confirmed can be a Mii costume.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Welp, another leak has been confirmed fake as far as I'm concerned. Whoever said that there would be a Jack Frost Skill for Joker was proven false, and thus, another leak claiming Erdrick is the SE rep is debunked.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
they are reselling dlc mii costumes (which is uhh questionable for me). geno was a dlc mii costume. no need to figure out what that means for him.
Yeah, it kinda sucks that the costumes are just being resold, like, "Hey, you bought them once, now buy them again!" That said, it's understandable, and I will definitely repurchase Geno's.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Welp, another leak has been confirmed fake as far as I'm concerned. Whoever said that there would be a Jack Frost Skill for Joker was proven false, and thus, another leak claiming Erdrick is the SE rep is debunked.
Not exactly, it got some stuff right so the Jack Frost thing could've just been a bit of misinfo.

I wouldn't complain if it was fake, though, but I would be interested in Erdrick (I'd still prefer Geno of course).

D

Deleted member

they are reselling dlc mii costumes (which is uhh questionable for me). geno was a dlc mii costume. no need to figure out what that means for him.
They're reselling some, and they're making new ones. Try to figure out what happened the last time everyone tried to follow patterns with Smash lmao.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom