• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
Huh. Who knew that Quest 64 II was an awesome game. :p
Quest 64 was a pretty good game that honestly did a lot of neat things for an early 3D title.

What even is Web 1.0? does it refer to the beginning of the Internet around when it first came out?
Yup, the early internet is what we mean. There were no standard rules to how websites should look like there is today, so everyone just sorta threw things at the wall to see what stuck. The internet was this hyped up thing that everyone was trying to get rich with, but nobody knew how. No Google yet, no Amazon. You had such juggernauts as HotBot or AltaVista. They didn't work very well.

Websites were loud, gaudy, full of gif animations stolen from somewhere else and "under construction" images...like anyone ever actually removed them. But nobody had fast internet--your phone's 3G would be blazing fast by the standards of 1999. It could take at least ten minutes for 1 megabyte to download, so everything had to be tiny in file size. Computer screens were also tiny (800x600 was big), and the power of their graphics weren't very standardized. So, Web safe colors were a thing.

I consider one of the internet's first major tests as September 11th, 2001. The world changed that day, and so did the internet as people finally realized the potential of the platform as a news dissemination method. Here's a pretty good writeup on how the internet reacted that day.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ed_games_to_come_to_switch_over_the_next_year

I'm hoping for the sake of all those disappointed fans out there that this mystery sequel game is actually a revival for Mega Man Legends 3. Granted, that game'll probably never see the light of day again due to how *ahem* out of touch Capcom can be, but wouldn't it be awesome to see the unfinished story finally come to an end?
Only problem is the big deal about that game was that it was to be made by fans. When that didn't pan out (due to Inafking running off), CyberConnect2 offered to finish it, but were given the condition that Asura's Wrath had to sell well enough first. Naturally, it didn't.

It would take a miracle.

Also Rusty Ruin from 3D Blast on the Saturn.
So, I see you are a man of culture as well.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I hope we get Smash info in April so we can know for sure if we get Erdrick or we get a miracle and Geno happens. I really hope for the Second but I'm still expecting Erdrick, if we don't get Erdrick though I think we'll get Geno.

I just hope Geno happens and there still are somethings in his favor that Erdrick doesn't have but we'll just have to wait and see. Fingers crossed though.
Well, I've talked to A.G.L. on our very forums, and the guy used to associate with Square Enix. (I don't remember exactly what his credentials were, but I distinctly recall his word being very trustworthy due to connections.) The fact that he's said that Geno is such an outlier that he might have a chance, even with Erdrick making it in, is intriguing to me. Even with Erdrick, he's told me not to give up hope on him yet, so I'll keep that tiny shred of hope there.

I'm personally very sure we aren't getting him, though, and I'm even pessimistic about the Mii outfit. I've just reached an acceptance period, and that's made it easier to deal with, y'know? I love this character so much and it breaks my heart that his own creators don't feel the same. That being said, I'm coming to terms now rather than later.

Firox

Smash Master
Well, I've talked to A.G.L. on our very forums, and the guy used to associate with Square Enix. (I don't remember exactly what his credentials were, but I distinctly recall his word being very trustworthy due to connections.) The fact that he's said that Geno is such an outlier that he might have a chance, even with Erdrick making it in, is intriguing to me. Even with Erdrick, he's told me not to give up hope on him yet, so I'll keep that tiny shred of hope there.

I'm personally very sure we aren't getting him, though, and I'm even pessimistic about the Mii outfit. I've just reached an acceptance period, and that's made it easier to deal with, y'know? I love this character so much and it breaks my heart that his own creators don't feel the same. That being said, I'm coming to terms now rather than later.
It's good that you've made peace with the outcome one way or the other. I'd be overjoyed to finally get Geno, but the fact that even Piranha plant could beat him into the roster doesn't give me much confidence. Still, at least there's more hope for Geno than there is for Isaac. I can't believe Nintendo would just sleep on a franchise as awesome as Golden Sun. Then again, they sleep on a LOT of good franchises. Apparently, they don't like money as much as they let on.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
It's good that you've made peace with the outcome one way or the other. I'd be overjoyed to finally get Geno, but the fact that even Piranha plant could beat him into the roster doesn't give me much confidence. Still, at least there's more hope for Geno than there is for Isaac. I can't believe Nintendo would just sleep on a franchise as awesome as Golden Sun. Then again, they sleep on a LOT of good franchises. Apparently, they don't like money as much as they let on.
That's just Nintendo for you, I'm afraid. They sleep on a lot of good franchises all the time. F-Zero was abandoned since the Gamecube era, Golden Sun since the DS, non-soulless Pilotwings since the N64, Startropics since the NES, Kid Icarus for over a decade before Sakurai revived it (and has since become dormant again)... I could go on.

The biggest plus Geno has in his favor is that he's from a series that won't go anywhere any time soon. Mario is Nintendo's big flagship IP. That's an advantage he has over most everyone except Waluigi, who has that and current-day relevancy.

Firox

Smash Master
That's just Nintendo for you, I'm afraid. They sleep on a lot of good franchises all the time. F-Zero was abandoned since the Gamecube era, Golden Sun since the DS, non-soulless Pilotwings since the N64, Startropics since the NES, Kid Icarus for over a decade before Sakurai revived it (and has since become dormant again)... I could go on.

The biggest plus Geno has in his favor is that he's from a series that won't go anywhere any time soon. Mario is Nintendo's big flagship IP. That's an advantage he has over most everyone except Waluigi, who has that and current-day relevancy.
Totally agree. And don't even get me started on Kid Icarus Uprising. That game was a freaking MASTERPIECE! It had great story, music, voice acting, humor and multi-player. The controls kinda sucked but that was unavoidable due to hardware limitations. They could have improved the ground-based combat a little too, but still the game was a 9/10 in my book. If Nintendo serious plans to just sit on that franchise, then they're stupider than I thought.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Totally agree. And don't even get me started on Kid Icarus Uprising. That game was a freaking MASTERPIECE! It had great story, music, voice acting, humor and multi-player. The controls kinda sucked but that was unavoidable due to hardware limitations. They could have improved the ground-based combat a little too, but still the game was a 9/10 in my book. If Nintendo serious plans to just sit on that franchise, then they're stupider than I thought.
I think that is more of a Sakurai move than Nintendo. He has stated not wanting a KI sequel, right?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Off topic, but I just found this amazing video celebrating the 20th anniversary of Mario RPG. I'm really shocked I hadn't seen this before, but man this is such a great video. Gave me goosebumps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ8UCz8UpDke
I can't even watch this kind of thing without crying lmao. It's one thing for a series and its characters to be abandoned, but on the note that SMRPG was makes Geno's goodbye that much more painful to watch. I honestly don't think I could play SMRPG all the way to the ending again without being legitimately depressed over it.

Firox

Smash Master
I think that is more of a Sakurai move than Nintendo. He has stated not wanting a KI sequel, right?
Yeah, that's true, but like Smash bros, I'd rather they bring in someone to replace him as director than just drop the franchise altogether. It's not like he can work on these forever and it would be a huge waste to just discontinue them because he retires.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If he wants a sequel, it's so he can go "the series is over, the end". Seriously, Uprising is like Solatorobo in how thorough it made sure to not leave any loose ends in case there aren't any sequels coming.

I have no idea what happened to him at HAL to make him take this stance, did they prank him while he was making Air Ride or something?

Then there was the time he initially wasn't informed he would be coming back for Brawl.

Yeah, that's true, but like Smash bros, I'd rather they bring in someone to replace him as director than just drop the franchise altogether. It's not like he can work on these forever and it would be a huge waste to just discontinue them because he retires.
In fairness, succession is a really tough thing to do in Japan. Heck, we just had Kimishima as Nintendo's president for a few years over there before he promptly got replaced, and neither he nor Furukawa have filled the void that Iwata's passing left.

Also, reminder that a certain Nintendo series continued after he left. :ultkirby:

This is not like Konami relying so badly on Kojima by the end of his Metal Gear Solid tenure that they weren't remotely able to carry the series by themselves afterwards.

Besides, at this point Ultimate sold like hotcakes to the point that it's nearly rivaling Splatoon, so Smash is too big to relegate the vault, it basically is an animated video game museum. It's no Advance Wars or Ice Climber.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What even is Web 1.0? does it refer to the beginning of the Internet around when it first came out? cause 1.0 can be used as referring to an update. Like 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 etc.

If so I think around 1995-2000 is web 1.0 and I have no idea what that could be, I hope it's a Super Mario RPG sequel or remake but it's probably not sadly it's not something as big as "Mario on Xbox"
Web 1.0 is more or less the internet before the major social media platforms came into being so think primary before 2006/2007. Also, the surprise sequel and the supposed secret Nintendo/Microsoft project are two separate things.

D

Deleted member

Man I really feel like we're still in the dark about the Square rep something's definitely suspicious I just can't put my finger on what exactly. Also I really don't like how sometimes I feel like Erdrick is confirmed while othertimes I feel like he only has a 50/50 chance I need to make up my mind on this.

I really don't know what to make of this thing to be honest I just hope Geno becomes playable sometime during the DLC

also Don't ask why I have this pfp it's a joke on the Social Thread and I joined in cause I was bored

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I still think there might not even be a SE character in this pass at all. Somehow we're supposed to expect one to get the royal treatment when :ultcloud:got the bare minimum by this game's standards for the base.

Although we do know that Cloud not getting dubbed period for Smash isn't their fault.

Web 1.0 is more or less the internet before the major social media platforms came into being so think primary before 2006/2007. Also, the surprise sequel and the supposed secret Nintendo/Microsoft project are two separate things.
Good to know, thanks for clearing it up. It does slightly help to narrow it down.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I still think there might not even be a SE character in this pass at all. Somehow we're supposed to expect one to get the royal treatment when :ultcloud:got the bare minimum by this game's standards for the base.
Considering we know for a fact there are SE names being thrown around within both Square Enix and Nintendo, it'd take a serious galaxy brain bait for there to just be nothing at this point. It's a very slim chance we don't get anything else from them IMO, to the point that I honestly think it's reasonable to assume we are getting something in the near future.

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
Ok, so going through the possibilities that have been suggested so far:

- Chrono Trigger 3 is either 1-2 years too late or 5-6 years too early, depending on whether or not you count Chrono Trigger DS.

- Mega Man Legends 3 wasn't even announced until 2010, and was canceled in 2011, rendering it over 5 years too late.

- Xenosaga IV is in the right timeframe, but is apparently far too unpopular to fit the criteria.

- Super Mario RPG 2 is about a decade too early, sadly.

- Half-Life 3 is the right time period, but it's Half-Life 3.

- Viewtiful Joe, though mentioned by PolarPanda in the past, is about 2-3 years too early.

- Sonic Adventure 3 is about 5 years too early.

- Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic would be in the right time period, though I do have to wonder if Disney would even consider reviving the franchise. Lucasfilm Games was just recently revived though....

- It is not Halo, Banjo-Kazooie, or any other Microsoft or Rare property.

Hmm.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Considering we know for a fact there are SE names being thrown around within both Square Enix and Nintendo, it'd take a serious galaxy brain bait for there to just be nothing at this point. It's a very slim chance we don't get anything else from them IMO, to the point that I honestly think it's reasonable to assume we are getting something in the near future.
Even if we do, it'll probably be saved for the fifth spot or something, given how Cloud barely got in in time.

Ok, so going through the possibilities that have been suggested so far:

- Chrono Trigger 3 is either 1-2 years too late or 5-6 years too early, depending on whether or not you count Chrono Trigger DS.

- Mega Man Legends 3 wasn't even announced until 2010, and was canceled in 2011, rendering it over 5 years too late.

- Xenosaga IV is in the right timeframe, but is apparently far too unpopular to fit the criteria.

- Super Mario RPG 2 is about a decade too early, sadly.

- Half-Life 3 is the right time period, but it's Half-Life 3.

- Viewtiful Joe, though mentioned by PolarPanda in the past, is about 2-3 years too early.

- It is not Halo, Banjo-Kazooie, or any other Microsoft or Rare property.

Hmm.
Maybe it's some lesser-known property that no one expected to get a revival at all, it's the only safe guess one can even do at this point.

Last edited:

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
I honestly think this mystery sequel is SA3 or maybe KOTOR 3? Just throwing that out their

Firox

Smash Master
Maybe it's some lesser-known property that no one expected to get a revival at all, it's the only safe guess one can even do at this point.
This is very possible, though I personally would have a hard time getting hyped over a character I don't recognize.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
If you're implying Mother, no Itoi, no go, just remember that. However, it would be interesting if the Mother 4 crew got scouted out to make it official.
Well since Mother 4 has been rebranded and is no longer Mother 4, I can see it being added to the eShop as an indie game in the future. I don't think Nintendo would use a fan project and upgrade it to become canon, but that would be very interesting to see. That is, if this game ever gets released... been 11 years now...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well since Mother 4 has been rebranded and is no longer Mother 4, I can see it being added to the eShop as an indie game in the future. I don't think Nintendo would use a fan project and upgrade it to become canon, but that would be very interesting to see. That is, if this game ever gets released... been 11 years now...
I'd be surprised if the staff doesn't collapse under the weight of its own ambitions and fan impatience.

TheBeastHimself

I'd be surprised if the staff doesn't collapse under the weight of its own ambitions and fan impatience.
Right? They've been through so many delays, went through a ton of estimated release dates. Now, the team is pretty much silent and it's very rare to receive an update from them. If they are still working on the game I'll continue to look forward to its release, but I also wouldn't mind a cancellation notice just in case so that I'm not waiting forever.

D

Deleted member

If you're implying Mother, no Itoi, no go, just remember that. However, it would be interesting if the Mother 4 crew got scouted out to make it official.
I was actually implying an SMRPG sequel. (I PM'd you about the rest to not derail the thread)

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
My final guess as to what this mystery sequel game is is Sonic Adventure 3. It's a total shot in the dark, but the demand's been there for a while now and the prospect of Nintendo helping SEGA make a Sonic game isn't too far-fetched in this day and age.

TheBeastHimself

My final guess as to what this mystery sequel game is is Sonic Adventure 3. It's a total shot in the dark, but the demand's been there for a while now and the prospect of Nintendo helping SEGA make a Sonic game isn't too far-fetched in this day and age.
I've always thought Sonic Adventure 3 was possible, and hey who knows, SEGA announced their new Sonic game is in development.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I've always thought Sonic Adventure 3 was possible, and hey who knows, SEGA announced their new Sonic game is in development.
I can't remember if it was a rumor or confirmed, but Sonic 06 appears to be akin to a remake of Adventure 1. It definitely fits in many ways. Very similar levels, tons of characters with different playstyles, the whole missions thing, direct upgrades you can get that are permanent(whereas the non-Adventure games mainly had temporary power-ups like Invincibility and the Speed Boost Sneakers), quite a lot of individual character music, specific episodes, and a full 10 main stages. The only thing it didn't have is a Chao Garden, a staple of the Adventure-specific games. Albeit, the Adventure Era(as in overall story) and gameplay style does continue through 06, along with Heroes and Shadow. A few games were part of the same story too(Advance Trilogy, Rush Duology, Sonic Battle, possibly Pinball Party(same era, but I don't know if it has a story or not). And possibly the two PSP games, Sonic Rivals(they're kind of odd since them seem to contradict Rush and 06, two canon storylines).

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I can't remember if it was a rumor or confirmed, but Sonic 06 appears to be akin to a remake of Adventure 1. It definitely fits in many ways. Very similar levels, tons of characters with different playstyles, the whole missions thing, direct upgrades you can get that are permanent(whereas the non-Adventure games mainly had temporary power-ups like Invincibility and the Speed Boost Sneakers), quite a lot of individual character music, specific episodes, and a full 10 main stages. The only thing it didn't have is a Chao Garden, a staple of the Adventure-specific games. Albeit, the Adventure Era(as in overall story) and gameplay style does continue through 06, along with Heroes and Shadow. A few games were part of the same story too(Advance Trilogy, Rush Duology, Sonic Battle, possibly Pinball Party(same era, but I don't know if it has a story or not). And possibly the two PSP games, Sonic Rivals(they're kind of odd since them seem to contradict Rush and 06, two canon storylines).
It was also balls to the wall terrible.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It was also balls to the wall terrible.
I'll still take it over Unleashed any day. Game was mediocre anyway. Had lots of good gameplay, but it had lots of bugs too. Only major control issues were Tails' flying and Mach Speed. Rest worked fine as a concept overall. Yes, clinging with Knuckles/Rouge on the walls is just an annoying bug. But it's not like Tails' flying which is a feature and just is really really bad(Tails wasn't exactly great to fly with in Adventure 1 either, to be fair).

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I'll still take it over Unleashed any day. Game was mediocre anyway. Had lots of good gameplay, but it had lots of bugs too. Only major control issues were Tails' flying and Mach Speed. Rest worked fine.
Oh Unleashed...Such a nice opening animation! Probably one of my favorites, but the gameplay was not so good.

Also, what a time to be alive where a sequel from a game 10 plus years ago might happen.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh Unleashed...Such a nice opening animation! Probably one of my favorites, but the gameplay was not so good.

Also, what a time to be alive where a sequel from a game 10 plus years ago might happen.
My huge issue with Unleashed is that the day stages were too difficult to control usually(so similar to the Mach Speed sections), and the literal stages were awfully designed, and then there's the Tails stages which were "press X to not die" essentially. I never could beat any of those Tails stages. I vastly preferred the hub gameplay(best to me) and the Night Stages(way easier to control, at a fun pace). The Day Stages I might've liked more if the homing attack didn't force me to wait to lock on(which slows down the fast gameplay, so you can't flow through the game well) and the speed boost was too hard to control/not well made. Thankfully they fixed the speed boost gameplay really really well with Lost World. The parkour helps. Similar reasons is why I wasn't really big on Colors, and Generations still didn't do much for me(though I have to try the console Generations first, but the DS version is eh).

AugustusB

Smash Champion
My huge issue with Unleashed is that the day stages were too difficult to control usually(so similar to the Mach Speed sections), and the literal stages were awfully designed, and then there's the Tails stages which were "press X to not die" essentially. I never could beat any of those Tails stages. I vastly preferred the hub gameplay(best to me) and the Night Stages(way easier to control, at a fun pace). The Day Stages I might've liked more if the homing attack didn't force me to wait to lock on(which slows down the fast gameplay, so you can't flow through the game well) and the speed boost was too hard to control/not well made. Thankfully they fixed the speed boost gameplay really really well with Lost World. The parkour helps. Similar reasons is why I wasn't really big on Colors, and Generations still didn't do much for me(though I have to try the console Generations first, but the DS version is eh).
I thoroughly enjoyed Generations on console (I think I had it on Xbox 360?)
The control is pretty dang solid for both Modern and Classic Sonic. Thankfully Mach Speed was a lot easier to handle compared to unleashed and on par to Lost World...if not a bit faster than that.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I thoroughly enjoyed Generations on console (I think I had it on Xbox 360?)
The control is pretty dang solid for both Modern and Classic Sonic. Thankfully Mach Speed was a lot easier to handle compared to unleashed and on par to Lost World...if not a bit faster than that.
The controls felt okay to me. I think the Day Stage style isn't that great to begin with. Lost World's only caveat was parkour alone. I don't find it good overall. They haven't polished it very well yet, and they had a great idea with parkour, but didn't keep it yet again.

I did just pick up Sonic Forces though. They had the wrong display case out, so I couldn't buy Rise of Lyric(I also need Fire & Ice to have all the Boom games). I might pick up Mania one day, but "classic" Sonic barely interests me anymore, so eh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom