• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I need to just vent for a sec, I'm not trying to bring up any taboo topics but I feel like this just needs to be said because no matter how many times we agree to drop Erdrick, he's going to be brought up again at some point. It may be a little controversial, but it's an elephant in the room I wanna address.

What I feel people don't understand is that literally anything can happen when it comes to Smash Bros. Nintendo has shown us. They can get ****ing Cloud Strife of all people. You know what made that so unexpected? Because people make up their own fan rules and base their speculation off that. "Cloud can't get in because in order to get in Smash you have to appear on a Nintendo console." "Assist Trophys can't become fighters, I know that 100% for a fact." "Spirits deconfirm characters/spirits don't deconfirm characters." Why y'all gotta underestimate Sakurai and his team? They surprise us time and time again, yet we surround ourselves with these made up rules and then have the audacity to throw them around like it's a fact! Absolutely none of those fan rules I said ever came out of the mouth of someone affiliated with Smash Bros. There's a difference between saying "I believe assist trophies deconfirm characters" and "assist trophies deconfirm characters".

And another thing, leakers. And this ties back to Erdrick. How many leaks is it gonna take for people to realize that it's time to stop putting their faith in them? The Arsty Omni Rayman leak? The Grinch leak? The Gematsu leak? Obviously there is always the possibility of a leak being true, and some are, as shown with the infamous ESRB leak. But all leaks due is spawn fake leakers. They're like hydras, always coming back and spreading misinformation. Either that, or people are just treating what inside sources say as gospel. I've heard of sources say they were confident Banjo was in the base roster, but I don't see Banjo. Yes, a bunch of leakers can shout that Erdrick is coming, but how in any way does that make any of it true? Nintendo is the only source that can confirm that. It doesn't matter if Vergeben has this amazing track record, he's shown last week that he's capable of ****ing up. The most important thing I want people to take away from this is that Nintendo and solely Nintendo are the only people who can tell you definitively who is going to be DLC. And I'm not saying a lot of you are like this, treating everything like fact, but it's stuff I've seen all over that's starting to leak into this thread!

When it comes to Smash speculation, everyone's just gotta let go of their pride a little bit and understand that their beliefs of what Smash is and how it works isn't always correct. Sakurai is a mastermind wildcard, completely unpredictable and out to catch people off guard. Anything can happen.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I need to just vent for a sec, I'm not trying to bring up any taboo topics but I feel like this just needs to be said because no matter how many times we agree to drop Erdrick, he's going to be brought up again at some point. It may be a little controversial, but it's an elephant in the room I wanna address.

What I feel people don't understand is that literally anything can happen when it comes to Smash Bros. Nintendo has shown us. They can get ****ing Cloud Strife of all people. You know what made that so unexpected? Because people make up their own fan rules and base their speculation off that. "Cloud can't get in because in order to get in Smash you have to appear on a Nintendo console." "Assist Trophys can't become fighters, I know that 100% for a fact." "Spirits deconfirm characters/spirits don't deconfirm characters." Why y'all gotta underestimate Sakurai and his team? They surprise us time and time again, yet we surround ourselves with these made up rules and then have the audacity to throw them around like it's a fact! Absolutely none of those fan rules I said ever came out of the mouth of someone affiliated with Smash Bros. There's a difference between saying "I believe assist trophies deconfirm characters" and "assist trophies deconfirm characters".

And another thing, leakers. And this ties back to Erdrick. How many leaks is it gonna take for people to realize that it's time to stop putting their faith in them? The Arsty Omni Rayman leak? The Grinch leak? The Gematsu leak? Obviously there is always the possibility of a leak being true, and some are, as shown with the infamous ESRB leak. But all leaks due is spawn fake leakers. They're like hydras, always coming back and spreading misinformation. Either that, or people are just treating what inside sources say as gospel. I've heard of sources say they were confident Banjo was in the base roster, but I don't see Banjo. Yes, a bunch of leakers can shout that Erdrick is coming, but how in any way does that make any of it true? Nintendo is the only source that can confirm that. It doesn't matter if Vergeben has this amazing track record, he's shown last week that he's capable of ****ing up. The most important thing I want people to take away from this is that Nintendo and solely Nintendo are the only people who can tell you definitively who is going to be DLC. And I'm not saying a lot of you are like this, treating everything like fact, but it's stuff I've seen all over that's starting to leak into this thread!

When it comes to Smash speculation, everyone's just gotta let go of their pride a little bit and understand that their beliefs of what Smash is and how it works isn't always correct. Sakurai is a mastermind wildcard, completely unpredictable and out to catch people off guard. Anything can happen.
Joker at TGA was what convinced me that anything can happen, regardless of what's popular among insiders and/or speculators. Nobody leaked him, he didn't have a massive support base, most people weren't even expecting a Smash reveal at TGA period - most people were expecting Metroid due to various breadcrumbs left by Nintendo that turned out to be massive red herrings - but there he was regardless. Credit where it's due, Nintendo knows how to keep us guessing (as demonstrated by Star Fox Grand Prix and TGA in general), otherwise this whole "Square Rep" thing wouldn't even be a discussion. I have faith in them to surprise us in the end; it's not unyielding, but it's there.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Most unfun characters to play against:
1) Zero Suit Samus
2) Robin
3) Corrin
4) Any Link
5) Pichu (only his hitbox oh my god it's nonexistent)
I can easily beat all five of them with King K. Rool and Cloud. It's fun going up against Corrin mains and destroying them with the King's spike/meteor smash. I wish you put Incineroar on that list because I have a fun time playing nicely with them too. :)

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

Joker at TGA was what convinced me that anything can happen, regardless of what's popular among insiders and/or speculators. Nobody leaked him, he didn't have a massive support base, most people weren't even expecting a Smash reveal at TGA period - most people were expecting Metroid due to various breadcrumbs left by Nintendo that turned out to be massive red herrings - but there he was regardless. Credit where it's due, Nintendo knows how to keep us guessing (as demonstrated by Star Fox Grand Prix and TGA in general), otherwise this whole "Square Rep" thing wouldn't even be a discussion. I have faith in them to surprise us in the end; it's not unyielding, but it's there.
That's why whenever people are talking about leaks here, I just don't post. Or I'll post something super short that's irrelevant to the conversation. You just provided a great example of Nintendo's unpredictability. Nobody saw Joker coming. Me personally, I like talking about the wild and crazy characters, the ones people would see and **** their pants out of disbelief. But instead, a lot of people would rather restrain their creative minds to the popular topics among leakers, you know, the most likely characters (because when have leakers ever been wrong?) But hey, everyone's different, you all can talk about whatever you please, doesn't bother me one bit. I'm just going to refrain from those sorts of topics.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
That's why whenever people are talking about leaks here, I just don't post. Or I'll post something super short that's irrelevant to the conversation. You just provided a great example of Nintendo's unpredictability. Nobody saw Joker coming. Me personally, I like talking about the wild and crazy characters, the ones people would see and **** their pants out of disbelief. But instead, a lot of people would rather restrain their creative minds to the popular topics among leakers, you know, the most likely characters (because when have leakers ever been wrong?) But hey, everyone's different, you all can talk about whatever you please, doesn't bother me one bit. I'm just going to refrain from those sorts of topics.

Make it happen, Nintendo.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace

What I feel people don't understand is that literally anything can happen when it comes to Smash Bros. Nintendo has shown us. They can get ****ing Cloud Strife of all people.
Not just Cloud Strife, Cloud Strife in the base roster! What masterminds could pull that off without Square getting money off of him? Microsoft, Ubisoft, Activision Blizzard, Konami, SEGA, HAL Laboratory? No. Sakurai and Nintendo! :)

TheBeastHimself

Make it happen, Nintendo.
There ya go! Let's start talking about characters we want, not what's popular. It don't matter if your favorite character isn't popular, talking about who you want is what makes Smash speculation so much fun and unpredictable. If you're going head first with the mindset "these characters are the most likely" you're just sucking all the fun out of the experience for yourself. Just my two cents.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
My best friend's most wanted character besides a new Mother rep was Joker. When I told them about Joker and sent them the link they nearly died.

So yeah, I agree that even never evers that probably don't have the best chance should still be talked about. It's not fun discussing the same characters over and over.

Though I just remembered I made movesets for both Claus and Geno in back like, 2010. I should go dig those back up to see how cringy they are heh.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
There ya go! Let's start talking about characters we want, not what's popular. It don't matter if your favorite character isn't popular, talking about who you want is what makes Smash speculation so much fun and unpredictable. If you're going head first with the mindset "these characters are the most likely" you're just sucking all the fun out of the experience for yourself. Just my two cents.
Well, in that case...

PUT HIM IN, COWARDS

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy are relatively obscure old RPGs? Dragon Quest definitely misses the mark here in the West, but don't forget it's reserved its own day in Japan, and Final Fantasy is their best selling series, so it stands to reason that their most popular character from the best selling Final Fantasy game would generate profit.

I think comparing Geno to Cloud is unfair since Cloud is basically Square Enix's mascot. Erdrick seems fair since he's actually from an old game but bear in mind the series he's from carries most of his weight.

On another note, did you guys know that of all the best selling Square franchises, SMRPG is 8th? 7.42 million sales for a single entry is impressive.
Super Mario RPG does not have 7.42 million sales. It has around 2.14 million by VGChartz and that’s the only official figure for the games. There’s an unrecorded number of digital sales once it released through Virtual Console. But 2 million is again the official number we’re looking at for Super Mario RPG sales.

The 7 million number comes from combining those SNES Classic sales, and I’m seriously just not going to let that go for people tired of hearing me resist that notion. It does increase exposure in a non-quantifiable way, that’s it.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
At least Vergeben has been debunked. I want suprises.
Vergeben was discredited? Did I miss something?

Either way I think Erdrick is still the rep. From that Persona leak, to Vergeben and other leakers, to the Brave codename being a direct call back to Dragon Quest III, to the fact that Nintendo is pushing the Dragon Quest series hard this year makes me think that if Nintendo chose the characters then Erdrick is in. I'd love it to be Geno but I doubt it as well.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, I noticed a certain fan art in Rariatoo's Twitter account, and…

DzVZwLaV4AAfuRK.jpg

It's so nice to see folks still acknowledge Wart after all this time.

Konfurmed!

This post has been approved by the Arcadenik Arcadenik gang.

Well, in that case...

PUT HIM IN, COWARDS
I think the best course of action is to ask Kumazaki first, it feels like the only way something is going to happen at this stage.

People talk about re-enacting the console wars with Crash Bandicoot, but they always forget someone...

pk1.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

He said that Starfox Grand Prix, an LoZ game that had nothing to do with LA, and a Pikmin 3 port would all be shown in the direct on Wednesday.

I don't trust anything he says at all anymore.

Ovaltine

Smash Master

Either way I think Erdrick is still the rep. From that Persona leak, to Vergeben and other leakers, to the Brave codename being a direct call back to Dragon Quest III, to the fact that Nintendo is pushing the Dragon Quest series hard this year makes me think that if Nintendo chose the characters then Erdrick is in. I'd love it to be Geno but I doubt it as well.
I think that Erdrick is going to be a rep. I do think we're still getting him. Even then, though, that doesn't mean my hopes for Geno are dashed. Sure, it makes him look less likely, but I'm renewed with a greater sense of hope than before.

TheBeastHimself TheBeastHimself was right. Anything can happen. Sakurai is a miracle worker, that man.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I made a list of all the characters I want most.

rip.jpg

Yes I know some here are iffy on Ninten possibly being in or think another Mother rep is more likely but hey this is just my lame taste in characters and my opinion.

Also Brave isn't a direct link to anyone and hasn't been proven to be. Personally I don't even think it's a Squeenix character. Everything about the Erdrick leak feels off to me...

TheBeastHimself

I think that Erdrick is going to be a rep. I do think we're still getting him. Even then, though, that doesn't mean my hopes for Geno are dashed. Sure, it makes him look less likely, but I'm renewed with a greater sense of hope than before.

TheBeastHimself TheBeastHimself was right. Anything can happen. Sakurai is a miracle worker, that man.
Sorry for getting all rant-y last night, lol. I just don't trust anyone but the Big N nowadays.

D

Deleted member

Anytime I'm kind of iffy on either of my boys' chances (which isn't often but still), thinking of the fact that anything can happen is what gives me hope again lol

TheBeastHimself

Well I'm glad I was able to help in some way. I normally don't contribute a whole lot to this thread, and while I did enjoy SMRPG, it isn't one of my top favorite games of all time. I just like the group of people here, and I also like keeping the peace. I think we do need debates in here sometimes just to keep everyone's expectations in check and ensure nobody gets too optimistic, but if what people said is true, that peeps hop in here to bash Geno or bash others based 1 ****ing character, that's completely ridiculous. Like I said, I personally don't follow nor believe any leaks at this point, so I want to prevent people from tearing each other's throats out over a character that may or may not even be in the game. We don't know for sure, leakers don't know for sure, all this arguing is solving nothing nor is it helping anyone out.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Well I'm glad I was able to help in some way. I normally don't contribute a whole lot to this thread, and while I did enjoy SMRPG, it isn't one of my top favorite games of all time. I just like the group of people here, and I also like keeping the peace. I think we do need debates in here sometimes just to keep everyone's expectations in check and ensure nobody gets too optimistic, but if what people said is true, that peeps hop in here to bash Geno or bash others based 1 ****ing character, that's completely ridiculous. Like I said, I personally don't follow nor believe any leaks at this point, so I want to prevent people from tearing each other's throats out over a character that may or may not even be in the game. We don't know for sure, leakers don't know for sure, all this arguing is solving nothing nor is it helping anyone out.
All true, and on top of that... boy, people have loved to come in here and nay-say Geno and his fans. If someone doesn't particularly care about him or want him in Smash, or heck, even hate him as a character, I understand. Trust me, I do, because I used to despise Geno myself (which is funny to think about). Putting his fans down, however, is no way to handle things, and people adore doing that.

Just let people want what they want. It's like Geno's fans are bullied like the timid nerds on the playground. It's pretty ridiculous. Anywhere you go, if you so much as mention Geno, I guarantee you'll have people going, "HE SUCKS LOL HE'LL NEVER BE IN SMASH GET BTFO. XDDD" On top of that, it's leaking into SMRPG itself, too, where if you want SMRPG to come back in some form, people will dog you for it... because of Geno and Smash culture.

Yeah. It's really stupid.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Man, I missed quite a bit over the past few days, but that Sakurai interview does give me a little bit more hope for Geno and his chances.

D

Deleted member

This is why it annoys the hell out of me when someone acts like Erdrick is confirmed. He just isn't, and it seems like they haven't learned from previous speculation in Smash.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I do get really tired of being railroaded into talking about Erdrick or whatever the current Square Enix flavor of the month is (unless it's Neku who's my baby). How boring it must be to only want who is currently seen as likely. The same points get spat out ad nauseam and nothing gets proven.

them: "ugh geno's so obscure he'll never be in smash idiot"
me, an idiot:
cjuhcrxv.png

TheBeastHimself

All true, and on top of that... boy, people have loved to come in here and nay-say Geno and his fans. If someone doesn't particularly care about him or want him in Smash, or heck, even hate him as a character, I understand. Trust me, I do, because I used to despise Geno myself (which is funny to think about). Putting his fans down, however, is no way to handle things, and people adore doing that.

Just let people want what they want. It's like Geno's fans are bullied like the timid nerds on the playground. It's pretty ridiculous. Anywhere you go, if you so much as mention Geno, I guarantee you'll have people going, "HE SUCKS LOL HE'LL NEVER BE IN SMASH GET BTFO. XDDD" On top of that, it's leaking into SMRPG itself, too, where if you want SMRPG to come back in some form, people will dog you for it... because of Geno and Smash culture.

As I've said yesterday, people need to let go of their prides. Some people's egos block their judgement to the point where their vision of Smash Bros and how it works is correct and everyone else is wrong. These come in the form of fan-rules, why a character is likely or isn't. It's often the reason why fights break out in the first place: two people believe Smash works in different ways, so ka-boom!

I also understand that people are emotionally invested in characters, I sure am. That can invoke some pretty powerful emotions, and can be a great thing. Just look at the Mother fandom, a never-ending machine that pumps out beautiful fanworks like there's no tomorrow. But when it gets to the point where you gotta bash other people's characters for liking and wanting them in, that's where it becomes an unhealthy problem.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
This is why it annoys the hell out of me when someone acts like Erdrick is confirmed. He just isn't, and it seems like they haven't learned from previous speculation in Smash.
I mean, if you’re looking at base game confirmations, the opposite would be true. Everything that Verge said was word of god when it came to Smash, and anyone who hoped otherwise specifically took a hit culminating with the Grinch. From E3 to November, the only surprises were the Echoes and King K Rool. The rest were all Verge’s major picks. Piranha Plant was the first genuine surprise we’d heard in a while (though supposedly he knew that one too? I stopped caring so much at that point whether he knew Piranha Plant or not).

So while I don’t agree with anyone stating anyone is confirmed, I can’t necessarily blame them completely when base game was a lot of people pushing back against insiders only to be burned. That’s still a fresh memory, and while you can pull the whole DLC is different to be fair and additional things, the reality of how much people got burned (or alternatively validated in believing in Verge and leakers) means that I doubt we’ll see such a mindset go away any time soon.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord

As a Ninten fan here, I can say that there's not to many places outside of the Ninten thread that take kindly to him. I'm not sure why, but he's a huge target of hate. It might be due to people thinking he's a threat to the character they want or them just disliking the character, but he gets a loooooot of **** and hate which honestly both saddens and annoys me. Think whatever you want of him, just don't attack anyone that does or thinks he has a chance.

What do you mean? Skull Kid is a lock! :4pacman:

As I've said yesterday, people need to let go of their prides. Some people's egos block their judgement to the point where their vision of Smash Bros and how it works is correct and everyone else is wrong. These come in the form of fan-rules, why a character is likely or isn't. It's often the reason why fights break out in the first place: two people believe Smash works in different ways, so ka-boom!

I also understand that people are emotionally invested in characters, I sure am. That can invoke some pretty powerful emotions, and can be a great thing. Just look at the Mother fandom, a never-ending machine that pumps out beautiful fanworks like there's no tomorrow. But when it gets to the point where you gotta bash other people's characters for liking and wanting them in, that's where it becomes an unhealthy problem.
I'm so glad that the Ninten thread is super chill and not 100% negative. Thankfully the Ninten vs Porky debate hasn't sparked an all out war and I hope it stays that way. I hate seeing the EB fandom fight...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It's so nice to see folks still acknowledge Wart after all this time.
Holy s... I forgot about Wart. This will be the first time Wart is in 3D! Wart will finally have a 3D model. Maybe Wart will finally join Birdo and Shy Guy in Mario spin-off games!

That's my mindset when it comes to Duck Hunt Dog, Meowth/Team Rocket, and Toad/Captain Toad. :ultduckhunt:

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

I just realized how memeable Conker's Bad Fur Day is.

That's right, and it's time we give attention to the only character that would make Smash Ultimate truly Ultimate. Great Mighty Poo, it's your time to shine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom