• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I think we either get SMRPG music as DLC along with Geno as a playable character, or we don't get SMRPG music at all.

Basically, if we get any SMRPG content in the future, I'm pretty sure it is with playable Geno. If no playable Geno, I don't expect any other SMRPG content as DLC.
I agree with most of this, except that we could also very well end up getting the Mii costume again. I doubt it, though, because Square is weird when it comes to playing ball. It might just be all-or-nothing this time.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
On top of all of that, Reggie also believed that none of the characters asked for ended up being turned down. NoA, as past information has lead us to believe, seems to have something of a love for Geno. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a character asked for and NoA is aware of this, which would explain the rumor of him maybe being DLC. If Reggie is corroborating that much and Geno was more of an NoA pitch, he'd likely be one of the only ones to know if that deal went through or not, so if such a case happened, then... maybe it did go through? Maybe Reggie is just kicking back and laughing at us, our sad little faces thinking Geno isn't in, when he is well-aware that he's coming.

... or not. Who knows?

>Both Geno and Mother 3 come this year

Wouldn't that be the plotwist of the decade or what?

D

Deleted member

I agree with most of this, except that we could also very well end up getting the Mii costume again. I doubt it, though, because Square is weird when it comes to playing ball. It might just be all-or-nothing this time.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's playable Geno or nothing this time. I don't see the Mii costume returning.

Do it Nintendo. Do it.

Ovaltine

Smash Master

I think I'd pass out and die. Goodbye, me. That being said, I'm pretty pessimistic about Mother 3, alas.

When it comes to Geno and the Mii costume, at first, I thought, "Nah, we can probably still get the costume back," but this music anomaly is having me question things along with his spirit. I really do think it's either 1) he's DLC, or 2) he isn't with the Mii costume also remaining absent. If they aren't going all out with compensation to make up for a lack of playable Geno, why would they add the music or the Mii costume? After all, it's clear they're placing a lot of nods to SMRPG in Smash, and the Crafted World thing is... eh, it's debatable.

So, going all out with his rights that they have, but not including Yoko's music? What about the costume then? All third party costumes were removed, yes, but why isn't Geno the exception if this is meant to compensate for him not being playable? Wouldn't that have been in the negotiations? Maybe? Maybe not?

It makes me wonder if these nods are even meant to be compensation... or a hint at what's to come?

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
You know what? I just realized a heck of an anomaly when it comes to Ultimate that definitely stands out.

We have a lot of SMRPG references in the game via Piranha Plant (yes, two is a lot — it's a lot more than usual, haha). We have Geno and Mallow as spirits. You would think that, if there was negotiation and allowance of stuff when it comes to SMRPG along with Yoko Shimomura on the team, we'd likely have music for SMRPG in the game. I'm starting to think that there was some kind of umbrella agreement with its assets, and I don't see how they couldn't have added the music into the mix with Yoko on the team. No one would have had to go out their way at all. If they can get orchestrated music for DQXI, then by Jovah (heh), they can get SMRPG's music, even at its base MIDI form, in Smash Ultimate.

... but it isn't.

That just seems like that much more of a strange exclusion now that we've seen Megasmilax and Chewies namedropped, Geno and Mallow's spirits in the game, and Nintendo giving Geno quite a bit of limelight with Switch updates featuring his spirit + his spirit in the main menus + his profile picture. If they're giving SMRPG all of this love and affection, all of this attention, and trying their best to appease fans without being able to make Geno playable... why is one of their easiest assets to obtain, the music, not in the game?

That is beyond weird to me, and with that epiphany, that makes me raise an eyebrow. I still believe we're getting Erdrick, as the evidence is so stacked for him, but we really don't know all of the negotiations that went behind Geno and Mallow between Nintendo and Square. For all we know, Geno has a very easy entry point into the game as misc. DLC, and he can so easily be planned to come with music tracks from SMRPG in tow.

Very... very intredasting.
Not to mention that they're trying to appeal Super Mario RPG more to the public, and maybe that's why the game made it on the SNES Classic so people could try it out there. We know it hasn't been recognized as much in almost 23 years, but it seems like they're trying to get it more recognized to the public now. No SMRPG music in the game is suspicious, and the closest thing we have of it is the King Bowser remix from SMB3. I find it interesting that Mallow isn't a profile icon but Geno is. Gosh, I mean, what if he really is coming? I hope I'll still be here by the time we get our answer.

I don't see a huge gaming company asking or buying from Square to use small cameos in a game they published. I'm pretty sure they have to buy the rights to use characters' names in the game, including their physical shape and form. I feel like something is coming, and hopefully it's a Super Mario RPG remake or sequel coming for the Switch and Geno coming for Smash Ultimate DLC. If Joker or any other DLC characters come with spirits, I think it's safe to assume that there will be SMRPG spirits coming with Geno's pack if he's a DLC character... maybe this is why Geno and Mallow are the only SMRPG spirits.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Not to mention that they're trying to appeal Super Mario RPG more to the public, and maybe that's why the game made it on the SNES Classic so people could try it out there. We know it hasn't been recognized as much in almost 23 years, but it seems like they're trying to get it more recognized to the public now. No SMRPG music in the game is suspicious, and the closest thing we have of it is the King Bowser remix from SMB3. I find it interesting that Mallow isn't a profile icon but Geno is. Gosh, I mean, what if he really is coming? I hope I'll still be here by the time we get our answer.

I don't see a huge gaming company asking or buying from Square to use small cameos in a game they published. I'm pretty sure they have to buy the rights to use characters' names in the game, including their physical shape and form. I feel like something is coming, and hopefully it's a Super Mario RPG remake or sequel coming for the Switch and Geno coming for Smash Ultimate DLC. If Joker or any other DLC characters come with spirits, I think it's safe to assume that there will be SMRPG spirits coming with Geno's pack if he's a DLC character... maybe this is why Geno and Mallow are the only SMRPG spirits.
Actually, what the heck, yeah, why don't we have more SMRPG spirits if they were able to negotiate more out of Square than we thought (like Megasmilax)? If it's an umbrella agreement, why wouldn't there be spirits of, say, Croco, Punchinello, Yaridovich, Smithy, etc.?

This is just odd.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
All the 3rd party Mii costumes were cut. They're likely just being resold for more cash, so the companies can make more money off their IP. It honestly makes a lot of sense.

A Geno MIi costume can easily come whether or not Geno is also playable as well. This isn't like a Rex situation where he wasn't going to be playable in base or part of the Fighter's Pass(though if a second Fighter's Pass happens, he has a decent chance). He missed the timing overall, and they want to concentrate on other characters, which is why the costume exists, as something of a compensation for his fans.

Which doesn't apply to other characters nearly as well. We could see quite a few costumes from companies who have lots of playable options. For instance, we could see a Gradius-based Mii Gunner costume. Or a Nanobreaker Mii Swordfighter costume. Etc. Even if they don't get another playable character. I could go on. But there's just a lot of options here. Geno is easily one of them(again, him being a Mii costume would still be good, especially if they're unable to get permission to have him as a full playable character. It's not as good, of course, but it's still nice for many people. Just cosplaying is better than not being able to play as the character at all. Look at other ones, like the Ashley costume, who was an AT. Same with Takamaru. Etc.)

Ovaltine

Smash Master
All the 3rd party Mii costumes were cut. They're likely just being resold for more cash, so the companies can make more money off their IP. It honestly makes a lot of sense.

A Geno MIi costume can easily come whether or not Geno is also playable as well. This isn't like a Rex situation where he wasn't going to be playable in base or part of the Fighter's Pass(though if a second Fighter's Pass happens, he has a decent chance). He missed the timing overall, and they want to concentrate on other characters, which is why the costume exists, as something of a compensation for his fans.

Which doesn't apply to other characters nearly as well. We could see quite a few costumes from companies who have lots of playable options. For instance, we could see a Gradius-based Mii Gunner costume. Or a Nanobreaker Mii Swordfighter costume. Etc. Even if they don't get another playable character. I could go on. But there's just a lot of options here. Geno is easily one of them(again, him being a Mii costume would still be good, especially if they're unable to get permission to have him as a full playable character. It's not as good, of course, but it's still nice for many people. Just cosplaying is better than not being able to play as the character at all. Look at other ones, like the Ashley costume, who was an AT. Same with Takamaru. Etc.)
Fair point. That being said, if they bring back the Geno costume, I hope they make the head wear into a freaking helmet or something, because having to use Mii faces with it looks so hideous.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Fair point. That being said, if they bring back the Geno costume, I hope they make the head wear into a freaking helmet or something, because having to use Mii faces with it looks so hideous.
I don't know, that might also look a little bit weird.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I don't know, that might also look a little bit weird.
It could, yeah, but it'd probably be a heck of a lot better than just the basic Mii. If they can at least make it look like Geno, then I could deal with him not being playable.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Somebody very very popular and high in the industry told Zenyth who shared with me. It's legitimate information, just trust me on this one. I just promised not to share who it was from.

On another note, I got informed on Verge's situation. Needless to say, incorrect info did not come from all of his main sources. For clarification, I believe zenyth posted a screenshot of one of verge's DMs on either here or another site before where he got CORRECT INFORMATION about the 2d Zelda game. This was all a mess for him, but I think it's too early for people to say he is completely out of the game. He still does have some good sources. After learning more about him, I still think at the very least, the most skeptical people should put some weight to his smash information.
Just quoting PolarPanda's post on the SE thread for discussion here, for instance, this higher my Erdrick Expectations 5% more.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord

Also if we're to believe the SNES datamine, SMRPG as well as the other Square games are not present, yet they were present on the SNES Classic. The only other notable cuts that aren't in that datamine are Donkey Kong Country and EarthBound. Might not mean anything, but it's a tad interesting.

There were also a few Paper Mario spirits like the Shadow Queen, so it's not like other RPG characters couldn't be added. Huh...

I think I'd pass out and die. Goodbye, me. That being said, I'm pretty pessimistic about Mother 3, alas.
Is it too late to form the PSI Puppet alliance?

Alliance.png

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Just quoting PolarPanda's post on the SE thread for discussion here, for instance, this higher my Erdrick Expectations 5% more.
Yeah, I'm still on the train of believing Erdrick is coming. The deal isn't sealed for me anymore, but I still believe he is. Even then, though, while it does put a damper on Geno's chances, it doesn't mean that he's completely out of the running. It just means he 99.99% won't be in the Fighter's Pass. We know Sakurai has been pulling a lot of surprises on us, and the fact that Nintendo's really been trying to appease their hardcore fans is giving me hope yet.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It is pretty strange how Super Mario RPG content is handled, simply because it's being handled at all. I would say Geno and Mallow spirits are the minimum you can get away with when it comes to handling that game because they're the two most important original characters. The Megasmilax reference is solid proof that it doesn't have to be just those two characters, though. However, little content doesn't mean more content when FF7 is still a thing that apparently exists in Smash.

Pretty much what I figured but was too lazy to argue. Glad Polar said it.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
At least with that we don't have to care about it anymore.

Like Ovaltine, I'm also expecting Geno being Misc. DLC since.. I really don't see Erdrick being that "SE character" that was discussed yeaaars (months) ago. But with that, I guess that depends on Sakurai.. I think Nintendo will priorize the Fighter Pass, and if they have enough (time/money) they could do Misc. at the same time, if not, then it's gonna be a loooong wait.

Edit: And no, that doens't mean I'm being pessimistic with Geno's chances. I trust PolarPanda, Good News or Bad News, I trust this woman.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
At least with that we don't have to care about it anymore.

Like Ovaltine, I'm also expecting Geno being Misc. DLC since.. I really don't see Erdrick being that "SE character" that was discussed yeaaars (months) ago. But with that, I guess that depends on Sakurai.. I think Nintendo will priorize the Fighter Pass, and if they have enough (time/money) they could do Misc. at the same time, if not, then it's gonna be a loooong wait.
Well, Sakurai himself did say they had a surplus of time and money. Oddly, Joker feels like he contradicts that statement by not having gameplay ready yet. However, if both Joker and 'brave' are well enough along, it may actually lend credence to that statement. If not, then maybe they're doing even more under the hood than we thought. Very curious. Hopefully we'll get more light shed on what's going on in an upcoming Smash direct for March/April.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Well, Sakurai himself did say they had a surplus of time and money. Oddly, Joker feels like he contradicts that statement by not having gameplay ready yet. However, if both Joker and 'brave' are well enough along, it may actually lend credence to that statement. If not, then maybe they're doing even more under the hood than we thought. Very curious. Hopefully we'll get more light shed on what's going on in an upcoming Smash direct for March/April.
I'm honestly thinking it's gonna be a regular Nintendo Direct as odd as that sounds, but that might be due to me thinking Brave could possibly tie into a game like Isabelle did.

That and the direct with Mewtwo's trailer also announced Lucas as well, and that was just a regular direct. So honestly I dunno.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
I hope so too, it's hard to tell what are the odds but.. The only thing that we can do is still moving forward. Erdrick and Geno may be SE reps but, I see Erdrick as an Awesome Addition due to its own Historical contribution to the VideoGame Industry (DQ) and I see Geno as a long standing Fan Favourite Pick. Both of them are great on its own way and I hope, Nintendo will do the right thing by saying: "Hey, Why not"

Last edited:

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure if anyone does remember this quote sakurai said but here goes nothing "Buy the DLC that is worth it to YOU" or something similar to that. That right there let alone, makes me think this going to have a lot fan characters.

Last edited:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if anyone does remember this quote sakurai said but here goes nothing "Buy the DLC that is worth it to YOU" or something similar to that. That right there let alone, makes me think this going to have a lot fan characters.
I think yeah, Maybe that's why he said that. Because he knew the characters in the Fighter Pass may be not taken so well for a lot of people. Maybe they aren't that "Fan Requested" (Although this is soooo subjective for me)

Maybe the Fighter Pass is all about Unrepresented Franchises (SMT, DQ for instance)

But at the same time, when you fear about something, you try to find a solution. I guess Sakurai knew about the possible repercusion of the Fighter Pass and he decided to work on a solution as well, like adding some extras aside from the Fighter Pass.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
.....why have we all moved backwards again? Erdrick is by no means out, but he's not "basically confirmed" either. I wouldn't even give him a 90% chance.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
.....why have we all moved backwards again? Erdrick is by no means out, but he's not "basically confirmed" either. I wouldn't even give him a 90% chance.
I think it's more "If we accept it now we won't be AS disppointed as we might be. But be super surprised if it isn't."

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I know I'm late to this discussion, but my first choice for an SMRPG stage would definitely be Bowser's Keep/Vista Hill. The setting of Bowser's Keep with Exor sticking out of it is emblematic of the game itself, even being featured on the front of the box, and it'd even hit two long standing requests of SMRPG content and a dedicated Bowser stage at once. Seriously, the King of Koopas needs a stage already.
Imagine the Mother series looking like that or something similar… the dream.
This image makes me feel so good and so bad at the same time. It looks so damn good, especially since I just played through Earthbound a few months ago, but it'll probably never realistically happen the way things have been for the MOTHER series. :sadeyes:
You know what? I just realized a heck of an anomaly when it comes to Ultimate that definitely stands out.

We have a lot of SMRPG references in the game via Piranha Plant (yes, two is a lot — it's a lot more than usual, haha). We have Geno and Mallow as spirits. You would think that, if there was negotiation and allowance of stuff when it comes to SMRPG along with Yoko Shimomura on the team, we'd likely have music for SMRPG in the game. I'm starting to think that there was some kind of umbrella agreement with its assets, and I don't see how they couldn't have added the music into the mix with Yoko on the team. No one would have had to go out their way at all. If they can get orchestrated music for DQXI, then by Jovah (heh), they can get SMRPG's music, even at its base MIDI form, in Smash Ultimate.

... but it isn't.

That just seems like that much more of a strange exclusion now that we've seen Megasmilax and Chewies namedropped, Geno and Mallow's spirits in the game, and Nintendo giving Geno quite a bit of limelight with Switch updates featuring his spirit + his spirit in the main menus + his profile picture. If they're giving SMRPG all of this love and affection, all of this attention, and trying their best to appease fans without being able to make Geno playable... why is one of their easiest assets to obtain, the music, not in the game?

That is beyond weird to me, and with that epiphany, that makes me raise an eyebrow. I still believe we're getting Erdrick, as the evidence is so stacked for him, but we really don't know all of the negotiations that went behind Geno and Mallow between Nintendo and Square. For all we know, Geno has a very easy entry point into the game as misc. DLC, and he can so easily be planned to come with music tracks from SMRPG in tow.

This is exactly what I've been saying for months now, and it's only magnified with all these random SMRPG references from Nintendo lately. They wouldn't even need to license the music through Square Enix like everything else from SMRPG; they'd license it through Yoko, who's already in on Smash. If we had even just one straight rip from SMRPG in the base game, I'd say it was a closed case, but as of now... nothing. Definitely a strange exclusion to say the least, and it's one of the main things keeping me going in believing that Geno still has a chance.
I dunno, I feel like then it'd just look identical to Geno with Mii proportions, and at that point, it'd just feel patronizing how close he is to actually being playable without actually being playable, sort of in a "so close, yet so far" sense. Besides, pairing unique costumes with goofy/terrifying faces is half the fun of Mii Fighters, I feel. If I can't play as Geno, then I wanna play as Peter Griffin dressed up as Geno or something ridiculous like that.

Last edited:

Eric2625

Smash Cadet
I haven't been here for a while but i'm not really to key on erdrick being the square rep.The only real person who has said him is tansut.The Dragon quest part in the direct would have been the perfect time to reveal him and i doubt anyone knows the dlc.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I haven't been here for a while but i'm not really to key on erdrick being the square rep.The only real person who has said him is tansut.The Dragon quest part in the direct would have been the perfect time to reveal him and i doubt anyone knows the dlc.
I can't wait till this was all a trick and leak bait! Right guys....right....?

Thebluecomet

Traveling the universe
the thing is they could be saving the character reveals for e3 with how much DQ stuff is being shoved in our face I could see eddy being revealed much to my dismay.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
the thing is they could be saving the character reveals for e3 with how much DQ stuff is being shoved in our face I could see eddy being revealed much to my dismay.
The thing is that E3 is a massive event but its still an American event. It's not a coincidence that last year the big character reveal was Ridley who was a massive deal to American fans and not as much Japanese fans. If I would put money on an E3 reveal I'd put money on a character with a big American fan following like BK or Geno if not them specifically.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
What still bugs me is that Erdrick would could have been revealed just fine last direct with all the DQ buzz. This just makes me believe that Erdrick ain't on the fighter pass. If Isabelle was announced during a regular direct while tying into a game, I don't see why Erdrick would get some super special unveiling at E3. But that's just my opinion. Just doesn't seem as likely to me as a lot of people hype him up to be.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I really wonder how they will top this direct. It's pretty obvious either next direct or E3 will be including Animal Crossing, Bayonetta 3 (if Bill trinen saying it's coming this year ends being true at all…), Luigi Mansion 3, Pokemon, maybe Pikmin… And maybe they will finally talk about SNES titles and that could tie well with anything Mother and SMRPG related… Either way, I hope they really go out themselves with fall and holiday announcements, now that we have a taste of what will come in spring and summer.

Thebluecomet

Traveling the universe
The thing is that E3 is a massive event but its still an American event. It's not a coincidence that last year the big character reveal was Ridley who was a massive deal to American fans and not as much Japanese fans. If I would put money on an E3 reveal I'd put money on a character with a big American fan following like BK or Geno if not them specifically.
I hope that you are right it's just the pessimist in me has gotta be prepared for the worst.

TheBeastHimself

I really wonder how they will top this direct. It's pretty obvious either next direct or E3 will be including Animal Crossing, Bayonetta 3 (if Bill trinen saying it's coming this year ends being true at all…), Luigi Mansion 3, Pokemon, maybe Pikmin… And maybe they will finally talk about SNES titles and that could tie well with anything Mother and SMRPG related… Either way, I hope they really go out themselves with fall and holiday announcements, now that we have a taste of what will come in spring and summer.
All I'm hoping for 2019 is that we get more acknowledgement of smaller franchises. Nintendo has a terrible habit of sitting on so many great franchises and not doing a damn thing with them.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Mmm....Geno is NOT E3 worthy imo. Why? Because E3 is for big reveals, and Geno is not a big reveal. Sure, we are one of the last standing support groups that have been around for so long, but he's a character from 23 years ago and hasn't been in anything since then. He's from a game that, while has gained some fans recently, is still from the SNES era and that doesn't click with most modern gamers as they are younger.

While Banjo falls into a similar category, we've also had a stream of older 3D platforming games and other older titles being completely remade (Crash, Spyro, Medievil got announced as well as Crash Team Racing, Battletoads) and his announcement of either a new game, remake, in Smash or a combination of any of these would be perfect as a showing of Nintendo and Microsoft getting ever more buddy-buddy.

But maybe I'm wrong and Geno would be a bigger reveal worthy of a main stage.

Doctor Lucky

Smash Cadet

... but it isn't.

SMRPG re-release or remastery. All this attention is just to butter people up and drum up people's awareness of the game. Soon after or during the announcement, boom, Geno for Smash.

Called it months ago, calling it again now.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

SMRPG re-release or remastery. All this attention is just to butter people up and drum up people's awareness of the game. Soon after or during the announcement, boom, Geno for Smash.
Hate to be a pessimist, but why does Nintendo acknowledging SMRPG have to mean that it's hinting towards something?

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Hate to be a pessimist, but why does Nintendo acknowledging SMRPG have to mean that it's hinting towards something?
Because they haven't done it since 2005 with M&L: Partners in Time. First it was Geno's Mii Costume, then Nintendo of America does a poll tweet about Team Geno and Team Mallow, then Geno and Mallow are Spirits, then Geno is a trivia question for TGAs, then Viridi name-drops both Chewy and Smilax/Megasmilax plus PP's Classic Mode image references the SMRPG commercial, and NOW a Yo'ster Isle/Yoshi Cookie reference in Crafted World.

The sudden amount of references in the small timespan since that Nintendo tweet in comparison to 12 years of basically silence until the Smash Special Broadcast?

It could easily be nothing, but it's awfully suspicious...

TheBeastHimself

Because they haven't done it since 2005 with M&L: Partners in Time. First it was Geno's Mii Costume, then Nintendo of America does a poll tweet about Team Geno and Team Mallow, then Geno and Mallow are Spirits, then Geno is a trivia question for TGAs, then Viridi name-drops both Chewy and Smilax/Megasmilax plus PP's Classic Mode image references the SMRPG commercial, and NOW a Yo'ster Isle/Yoshi Cookie reference in Crafted World.

The sudden amount of references in the small timespan since that Nintendo tweet in comparison to 12 years of basically silence until the Smash Special Broadcast?

It could easily be nothing, but it's awfully suspicious...
Wow, I didn't realize it was referenced that much. That is awfully suspicious. Looks to me like they're trying to gauge people's opinions on SMRPG. I just hope all these little easter eggs isn't Sakurai saying "I'm sorry I couldn't get Geno in, have these instead." I know nobody wants to hear that, but unfortunately it's something we have to keep in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom