• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Again, that's why Nintendo was making the games.
In a business Perspective you can just change the product of a different company by adding it as a clause in the contract, that's just rude.
That doesn't mean SE doesn't care about SMRPG, but that does mean Nintendo cares about SMRPG enough.

I was just saying that, a Chrono Trigger remake is even more possible than a SMRPG revival since the "Working in past titles" statement was made by SE, not Nintendo.

Also, Do I have to explain that this is just my assumption and my opinion about it? So don't take it as a fact, just my point of view since CT is ported everywhere. They could port it to the Switch easily, they could do work in a remake for an Exclusive too :eyes:
Ooookay? Lol.

They also said that they would be "working with Nintendo" on bringing back past titles, so not necessarily exclusive to games like CT.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Ooookay? Lol.

They also said that they would be "working with Nintendo" on bringing back past titles, so not necessarily exclusive to games like CT.
I never said it was exclusively, I also see SMRPG being reworked on.

I just said Chrono Trigger is the most likely. Like a SE wants it and Nintendo would be ok with it.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
If we are getting a DQ character I would’ve really preferred it be some sort of monster summoner or tamer or something. As a kid the first time I saw anything about DQ was in a video game magazine with a walkthrough of Dragon Warrior Monsters for gameboy and I was super interested in all the cool Toriyama monster designs. And for a while I had no clue Dragon Quest proper was even a thing. And even after I did I thought the monsters and the cool vocations/classes were the most interesting parts. I think that’s why Erdrick is such a letdown for me. It’s not even him not being Geno but more that as far as the series goes a standard swordfighter (if he is that) is the most vanilla route they could have gone with imo.

Last edited:

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice
You know, I think the thing with Fire Emblem is that, beyond the silly concern about weapon variety, secondary characters in general, even fan favorites, have basically been screwed over, since character inclusions are treated no different than Pokémon. Awakening's most noteworthy secondaries are lucky to even get in at all (presumably because their source game was going to be the final one in the FE series), for everything else it's Lord or bust. And even then timing is still a factor to avoid missing the boat (see Lyn). It's fine if not many are chosen since there's like a gorillion characters, but there aren't even any villains that got picked.
Personally I feel like this issue is something that extends to sword user in general. Almost everyone that uses a blade is a protagonist or the clone of one and such has created a kind of overlap between them. If they bridged more into other non protagonists characters there would be a wider range of diversity among sword users.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
If we are getting a DQ character I would’ve really preferred it be some sort of monster summoner or tamer or something. As a kid the first time I saw anything about DQ was in a video game magazine with a walkthrough of Dragon Warrior Monsters for gameboy and I was super interested in all the cool Toriyama monster designs. And for a while I had no clue Dragon Quest proper was even a thing. And even after I did I thought the monsters and the cool vocations/classes were the most interesting parts. I think that’s why Erdrick is such a letdown for me. It’s not even him not being Geno but more that as far as the series goes a standard swordfighter (if he is that) is the most vanilla route they could have gone with imo.
I mean, I think Erdrick's move set potential is greater than just standard swords-user. He has a lot of other stuff in his arsenal, and if Sakurai takes liberties from other DQ games, that adds even more that he can use. I will at least say that much: he has the potential to be really interesting from a move set perspective. He can use magic, monster taming (again, with liberties from other DQ games), his sword, his shield, and other weaponry. He has a large arsenal. It's just a matter of implementing it in an interesting way, and if anyone can do that, Sakurai can.

That said... I really would have preferred Slime, or heck, even Eight over Erdrick. They would have had that much more intrigue for me while also having move set potential all over the place.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I mean, I think Erdrick's move set potential is greater than just standard swords-user. He has a lot of other stuff in his arsenal, and if Sakurai takes liberties from other DQ games, that adds even more that he can use. I will at least say that much: he has the potential to be really interesting from a move set perspective. He can use magic, monster taming (again, with liberties from other DQ games), his sword, his shield, and other weaponry. He has a large arsenal. It's just a matter of implementing it in an interesting way, and if anyone can do that, Sakurai can.

That said... I really would have preferred Slime, or heck, even Eight over Erdrick. They would have had that much more intrigue for me while also having move set potential all over the place.
Yeah the potential is there. I’m just worried he’s going to be sword and shield and little to nothing else when we already have 3 versions of Link in the game. If monster taming/summoning was a part of his kit that’d be a lot more interesting to me. Magic would be ok but I really hope that he’d still be able to be unique when compared to the other types of magic users in Smash like Robin and Zelda.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah the potential is there. I’m just worried he’s going to be sword and shield and little to nothing else when we already have 3 versions of Link in the game. If monster taming/summoning was a part of his kit that’d be a lot more interesting to me. Magic would be ok but I really hope that he’d still be able to be unique when compared to the other types of magic users in Smash like Robin and Zelda.
No way, erdrick is a hero class, which is a powerful jack of all trades kind of character (including magic and more). If they take from the later games in the series then there can be some cool types of slashes too, but they definitely wont make it only about the sword, and it will probably not be solely sword+magic, since there can be more too. Even if it's just with magic, which I'd like a lot, it'd be the opposite composition than robin, in that it'd be a warrior first, and magic second. Robin is slow and kind of relies on the magic and levin sword mechanic, have to play strategically and conservatively a bit.

The were rumors about there being a slime somewhere in the moveset too, so if that's true then you at least get one monster :p

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
No way, erdrick is a hero class, which is a powerful jack of all trades kind of character (including magic and more). If they take from the later games in the series then there can be some cool types of slashes too, but they definitely wont make it only about the sword, and it will probably not be solely sword+magic, since there can be more too. Even if it's just with magic, which I'd like a lot, it'd be the opposite composition than robin, in that it'd be a warrior first, and magic second. Robin is slow and kind of relies on the magic and levin sword mechanic, have to play strategically and conservatively a bit.

The were rumors about there being a slime somewhere in the moveset too, so if that's true then you at least get one monster :p
Slime being in his move set somewhere is my biggest hope for his move set. My cute little friend, Slimey McSlimington, needs some love, too. :(

D

Deleted member

I would be happy for his fans and a friend of mine if he got in, but...

I don't want him, regardless of how he would play. And I'm not going to be certain of whether he is in or isn't until he is either revealed (if he is in), or until all the DLC characters in wave 1 are revealed

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I would be happy for his fans and a friend of mine if he got in, but...

I don't want him, regardless of how he would play. And I'm not going to be certain of whether he is in or isn't until he is either revealed (if he is in), or until all the DLC characters in wave 1 are revealed
That's normal if you want geno in. But I can imagine a scenario where nintendo talked about geno and SE was like ok you can have him but we need a big rep in first. So supposing there's a second wave of dlc, i think it could make sense.

In the end, we just gotta take what we can get from nintendo. it's amazing that there are this many characters. Tho i'm still looking for a character that'll click with me too.

D

Deleted member

That's normal if you want geno in. But I can imagine a scenario where nintendo talked about geno and SE was like ok you can have him but we need a big rep in first. So supposing there's a second wave of dlc, i think it could make sense.

In the end, we just gotta take what we can get from nintendo. it's amazing that there are this many characters. Tho i'm still looking for a character that'll click with me too.
> "We just gotta take what we can get from Nintendo."

I'm allowed to not want Erdrick in, lol, and I even said I'd be happy for his fans if he got in, soo...I don't really see your point.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Cracks my knuckles. I don't know about any of the others, but for Geno? Let me talk to you about Geno here and his totally canon* mom figure.

He serves the high star spirits of Star Sanctuary, protecting Star Haven and Star Road from any danger and keeping the ability of wish-granting intact. His kind are meant to do so, after all. Unlike Lumas, who go around searching for their mothers, star spirits are 'hard-wired' in a sense to not do so. They are born knowing what they need to be, and with some growth in Starborn Valley, they then set off for Star Haven, knowing full well about their purpose and their families... or, rather, their lack of a family.

Geno was always a bit of a weird case. He was a very strong star child, not like the rest of his kind. During one fateful Star Festival, Rosalina visited her beloved planet. She went out of her way to marvel at the star children, taking a particular interest in Geno and his abilities. The result was Merle (or rather, Merle's ancestor?) sending Geno to ascend earlier than the rest, serving his purpose at a very young age to hone his skills and become one of Star Road's strongest warriors. Rosalina, however, never left his mind. She'd absolutely mesmerized him, and her love of the Lumas as if they were her children had enraptured him.

A romantic ship? Not at all. However, after something like that, Geno did something no other star spirit has ever done: yearned for a mother, specifically her. With Rosalina in mind, it just makes his duty that much more worthwhile, working for the wishes of everyone while hopefully making her proud. Maybe one day, he, too, will be considered one of her 'children'.

* Absolutely none of this is canon and just me screaming about cute familial dynamics with extra conflict + development for Geno's character.
Reposting this from the Squaracter (heh) thread because this is so important to me like, you don't even know. Thought y'all might enjoy it.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
> "We just gotta take what we can get from Nintendo."

I'm allowed to not want Erdrick in, lol, and I even said I'd be happy for his fans if he got in, soo...I don't really see your point.
?
I was trying to impart a bit of hope for geno even in the case where another SE character makes it in first.
You can think or feel however you want. Still better to appreciate what there is. If you need to vent or something for now, then that's not bad either, everyone needs to go through their own feelings.

D

Deleted member

?
I was trying to impart a bit of hope for geno even in the case where another SE character makes it in first.
You can think or feel however you want. Still better to appreciate what there is. If you need to vent or something for now, then that's not bad either, everyone needs to go through their own feelings.
I think that Erdrick being in doesn't mean that Geno is totally out as well.

Me not wanting Erdrick doesn't really have to do with Geno, though. I just don't want him, and, again, I'd be happy for his fans if he got in

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think that Erdrick being in doesn't mean that Geno is totally out as well.

Me not wanting Erdrick doesn't really have to do with Geno, though. I just don't want him, and, again, I'd be happy for his fans if he got in
It feels like what im trying to say is being overlooked a bit, but anyway..
I think that the more the merrier. If a character gets in, that adds. You can have your reasons for not wanting a character in, of course that's fine. Maybe you just dont care about dq, unless you have some kind of grudge against it. Besides wanting 'slots' for characters you might like, i dont see why you'd want a character to not be in, especially if it'll make its fans happy.

There's characters I dont want in too, but i dont go around saying i dont want them in, it's .. a bit rude to their fans, even if it's honest. It's good to be honest, there's just no point of pushing it. Unless you want to get something off your chest or something.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._one_of_the_worst-selling_mario_games_to_date

Ooof...

If Fawful fans want him to stand a chance, support has to start now.
Ugh. That's on Nintendo for trying to push ported games on a dying system. It's a recipe for disaster. That makes me feel awful for Fawful's fans, man (and I love him myself, so that's yikes). I have a bad feeling Nintendo's going to blame the game being lackluster/Mario RPGs not being beloved anymore for the sales as opposed to their own mistakes.

D

Deleted member

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._one_of_the_worst-selling_mario_games_to_date

Ooof...

If Fawful fans want him to stand a chance, support has to start now.
At first, I was surprised, but then I remembered it's on the 3DS.

No wonder lol. I didn't buy it, but I sure as hell would if it was on the Switch.

It feels like what im trying to say is being overlooked a bit, but anyway..
I think that the more the merrier. If a character gets in, that adds. You can have your reasons for not wanting a character in, of course that's fine. Maybe you just dont care about dq, unless you have some kind of grudge against it. Besides wanting 'slots' for characters you might like, i dont see why you'd want a character to not be in, especially if it'll make its fans happy.

There's characters I dont want in too, but i dont go around saying i dont want them in, it's .. a bit rude to their fans, even if it's honest. It's good to be honest, there's just no point of pushing it. Unless you want to get something off your chest or something.
I see what you are saying.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against their fans..but I don't want him. I see what you are saying though.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Ugh. That's on Nintendo for trying to push ported games on a dying system. It's a recipe for disaster. That makes me feel awful for Fawful's fans, man (and I love him myself, so that's yikes). I have a bad feeling Nintendo's going to blame the game being lackluster/Mario RPGs not being beloved anymore for the sales as opposed to their own mistakes.
"That makes me feel awful for Fawful " sounds like a nice meme slogan :)

If anything, this means they need to go back to mario rpg instead of the mario&luigi route :p

D

Deleted member

Now I'm worried about this too.

I REALLY hope they release an SMRPG remake on the Switch, and not another console (if it is a thing).

dreamstar_g

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
7952 9587 6387
Hey wow, another dream, I’m disappointed it wasn’t real :(

Nintendo Direct is about to end, its a reveal for the newest Mario Tennis game and its an animated short for Geno but I guess it changed his origin a bit because he was a plush doll at a mall and came to life and he looked kinda like Pinocchio in the body but still had his face and was wearing a red cone as a hat

For some reason he’s outside of the mall and he’s communicating with a Mickey Mouse plush and it then cuts to gameplay, but he isn’t even there at all

Because apparently the model for him wasn’t complete yet, and they tell us that Sakurai then chose to make it himself for them, so we would be able to see it in the future

Thus we all started to speculate that he would get in as DLC if Sakurai wanted to reuse the model

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
To be fair; Fawful has a presence through out the three original Mario and Luigi games. He's not in a Geno situation.
Yeah, but his series getting killed may end up putting him in a "flavor of the month" situation again. You've seen how Game & Wario negatively impacted chances of getting a Wario Ware character, so imagine this.

I mean, the latest M&L remake barely sells higher than a Virtual Boy game. Let that sink in for a minute.

Last edited:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
I hope they don't cancel the Mario RPG series simply because they expected a remake on a dying system to do well.
It's strange but.. Maybe we hope so.

Mario & Luigi are THE Mario RPG from now, Nintendo declared that Paper Mario won't be RPG again because we do have Mario & Luigi, but what if we don't.

Man, I started to dislike the new Paper Marios since Super Paper Mario because I grow up with Mario's Story and Ttyod, and I'd love to see a New Paper Mario RPG with companions again.... good ones (Sorry if you love the new paper mario but understand me as a RPG lover)
If not, Maybe keep paper mario as it is and work on Super Mario RPG Remake.

But I don't expect Nintendo to say "No more Mario RPGs"

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
REALLY?! I totally forgot! can't wait to play SMRPG: Seven Houses on my Switch :D
I see that you have Goemon in the very back of your wanted characters list and I have to say, I'm very happy to see another person who knows he exists.

I don't even care if Erdrick gets in anymore. I just want his/her playstyle to be fun.
At this point, I would just want Erdrick to be confirmed already so that the community would stop talking about nothing but Dragon Quest.

To be fair; Fawful has a presence through out the three original Mario and Luigi games. He's not in a Geno situation.
Yeah, but he isn't one of the most requested characters in Smash history or a character Sakurai has acknowledge like Geno.

I mean, the latest M&L remake barely sells higher than a Virtual Boy game. Let that sink in for a minute.
The 3DS is a sinking ship that is why.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's strange but.. Maybe we hope so.

Mario & Luigi are THE Mario RPG from now, Nintendo declared that Paper Mario won't be RPG again because we do have Mario & Luigi, but what if we don't.

Man, I started to dislike the new Paper Marios since Super Paper Mario because I grow up with Mario's Story and Ttyod, and I'd love to see a New Paper Mario RPG with companions again.... good ones (Sorry if you love the new paper mario but understand me as a RPG lover)
If not, Maybe keep paper mario as it is and work on Super Mario RPG Remake.

But I don't expect Nintendo to say "No more Mario RPGs"
On the other hand M&L could leave with its dignity intact, PM is dragged through the mud nowadays.

And at least SPM had a compelling cast, you can't even say that about what came afterwards.

D

Deleted member

I seriously hope we can still get Geno, even in the current situation he's in.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

Teeb147

Smash Legend
At this point I want an actual Direct so there can be something happening this month, and maybe kill a few theories while they're at it. It's gotten far beyond the point of tedium.
Supposed to be in a few days, so shouldn't be too long. Well, I'm just hoping there's a decent amount of smash info too.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
So when Erdrick gets announced, what percentage of western gamers are just going to call him Goku? 50%?

The 3DS is a sinking ship that is why.
Not just that, but Bowser’s inside story is a remake of a game that is literally playable on a 3ds. If you have a friend with the DS version, just borrow his copy, play it on your 3ds (because he is done with it by now) and don’t buy a new game.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
By the way, a new glitch came up, it seems that when it's triggered, the AT shadows can get out of their casing. Wonder how long until Stoic Seraphim will catch wind of that one.

So when Erdrick gets announced, what percentage of western gamers are just going to call him Goku? 50%?

Not just that, but Bowser’s inside story is a remake of a game that is literally playable on a 3ds. If you have a friend with the DS version, just borrow his copy, play it on your 3ds (because he is done with it by now) and don’t buy a new game.
Assuming he's even in at all...I'd say more of at least 80 to 90%.

Excellent point in regards to BIS, though.

Last edited:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
I see that you have Goemon in the very back of your wanted characters list and I have to say, I'm very happy to see another person who knows he exists
Gambare Goemon was the only game that made my cry, laugh and get angry at the same time.
God damn it.

Edit: Added Pocky&Rocky cuz I forgot them and thinking on Goemon made me remember <3

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom