• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I haven't played it myself but it looks good. As a starting point though, I would say no if you're starting with it to then go with other games in the series, unless you dont mind revisiting classic titles with older graphics and all that later.
Besides 3d, The battles in 11 arent first person so you see more what the characters do, and then if you go back to the old stuff you might feel it lacking a bit. Depends. But in of itself, yeah 11 would be a good entryway for people already used to rpgs that have more detail and all that.

There isn't a class system in 11, or anything like that, but the skill system is apparently pretty extensive.
That's very good to know. I'm still not sure just how I'll approach the series yet, but this'll help me decide. I don't think the whole going back to the classics would be a problem, though. This is a girl who went to Zelda II after playing every other highly-appraised Zelda and, despite its controversial gameplay, loved it. I have an appreciation for older titles, really.

Thanks for your input!!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That's very good to know. I'm still not sure just how I'll approach the series yet, but this'll help me decide. I don't think the whole going back to the classics would be a problem, though. This is a girl who went to Zelda II after playing every other highly-appraised Zelda and, despite its controversial gameplay, loved it. I have an appreciation for older titles, really.

Thanks for your input!!
Got it. :) Then there's no prob, it just depends what you feel like starting with. In DQ3 and 4 you can choose a female hero, that's something I like about those. 7 has a good class system like 6, and 8 doesnt quite have as much going, but it's a lot of other western people's starting point, and it isn't bad or anything. 9 is incredibly customizable, but that also makes it have a bit less personality because you create your own character. 10 is an mmo :p

Zelda 2 is pretty unique, even to this day. The question is would you revisit zelda 1 :p

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Zelda 2 is pretty unique, even to this day. The question is would you revisit zelda 1 :p
Honestly, I think the question is more like who hasn't? :dr^_^: I have a special place in my heart for Zelda II, but don't get me wrong! The original is also amazing in its own right and has earned its status as a legendary game.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
To see if Challenger Pack 1 really means Joker is the first challenger or if it is just literally Challenger Pack 1. Just need a confirmation.
It's definitely just for Joker as the first fighter pack. Since each DLC character is confirmed to come in a pack of their own already. Comes with music tracks and a stage so far as we know.

What you want, is something saying "Season 1".

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Honestly, I think the question is more like who hasn't? :dr^_^: I have a special place in my heart for Zelda II, but don't get me wrong! The original is also amazing in its own right and has earned its status as a legendary game.
Alright, well in that case you like classics more than me cuz I dont like zelda 1 that much :p

Same with mario 1, I wouldn't play it. But that's just cuz my tastes have changed. I still love mario rpg. The only thing i have a problem with now is how short it is. But so much care was put in it, especially for the time. :)

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
The Switch was released in March 2017, and after the write-off that was the Wii U, they probably intend to go headstrong sometime into the early 2020's, likely between '22 and '24 (though it could be later if the Switch gets a pro version). I think the Switch was planned to be the second coming of the Wii, so only releasing content for undoubtedly their standout title of 2018 and one of the defining games of the Switch up until early 2020 seems... unlikely to say the least. If they do happen to ignore the game thereafter, it'd probably be the worst route Nintendo could take. I firmly believe a more Splatoon 2-like approach will be taken with Ultimate, in the sense that the game will receive more and more content with time. Practically all of the mini games were completely disregarded this time around, and to avoid having single player become stale, I think the return of certain minigames as either free or relatively inexpensive is iminent.

2018 was an intermediary of sorts where the big titles were released the year prior, and a BUNCH of big titles are planned for this one. What's more, the two "saving graces" for this year, Star Allies and Tennis Aces, ended up tasting a bit bland for most (in fairness, Star Allies was a late bloomer with the content packs, but it's still so easy you could breeze through it in at most 1 or 2 hours more), with non-Nintendo releases like Octopath and Dead Cells reeling in all the profit. Smash was released in the latter of 2018 and may very well just be considered a 2019 release from hereon in with how late it arrived. It exceeded 5 million sales globally in the first week alone, and with the holidays so close, I'd assume it's a safe bet that sales reached at least 7.5 million by now. Odyssey sold 2.2 million in three days for comparison, so Ultimate is definitely a frontrunner in sales. With its release date, content, and popularity in mind, how truly feasible would it be to only release 5 DLC characters? On top of that, how would it make sense to release them in 2020 if the Switch is probably going to outlast the game by a mile? The way I see it, there's more in it for Nintendo if they add more content than the Fighter's Pass, and I have a feeling the Big N knows that, too.

What I'm trying to say is that in no reality will Nintendo purely release the Fighter's Pass. A massively successful title on a console that makes it exponentially more accessible is probably not too content with a mere 5 characters. Even if it's just one or two more characters, it's just an undeniable profit, though I'd have to imagine that a standalone character would have to have more reason for inclusion than those in the Fighter's Pass. Someone who people have asked for since Brawl, and to this day maintains a large enough following despite having their last major appearance in a game nearly 25 years ago. Hmm... I wonder who it could be...

Ovaltine

Smash Master
LMAO and it's confirmed early. I guess they were like, "Welp, might as well!" Very neat, though!

What I'm trying to say is that in no reality will Nintendo purely release the Fighter's Pass. A massively successful title on a console that makes it exponentially more accessible is probably not too content with a mere 5 characters. Even if it's just one or two more characters, it's just an undeniable profit, though I'd have to imagine that a standalone character would have to have more reason for inclusion than those in the Fighter's Pass. Someone who people have asked for since Brawl, and to this day maintains a large enough following despite having their last major appearance in a game nearly 25 years ago. Hmm... I wonder who it could be...
Honestly, while nothing is set in stone beyond the five, this is essentially why I have more hopes for Geno outside of the FP. I think he's just better suited for miscellaneous, stand-alone DLC than this large package of five. I can see Nintendo wanting to use FP to cater to a more worldwide, widespread approach + promotion, with Sakurai doing some other fan-favorite stuff on the side. It's why I highly doubt Geno will be in the FP, but my hopes haven't completely diminished.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
The Switch was released in March 2017, and after the write-off that was the Wii U, they probably intend to go headstrong sometime into the early 2020's, likely between '22 and '24 (though it could be later if the Switch gets a pro version). I think the Switch was planned to be the second coming of the Wii, so only releasing content for undoubtedly their standout title of 2018 and one of the defining games of the Switch up until early 2020 seems... unlikely to say the least. If they do happen to ignore the game thereafter, it'd probably be the worst route Nintendo could take. I firmly believe a more Splatoon 2-like approach will be taken with Ultimate, in the sense that the game will receive more and more content with time. Practically all of the mini games were completely disregarded this time around, and to avoid having single player become stale, I think the return of certain minigames as either free or relatively inexpensive is iminent.

2018 was an intermediary of sorts where the big titles were released the year prior, and a BUNCH of big titles are planned for this one. What's more, the two "saving graces" for this year, Star Allies and Tennis Aces, ended up tasting a bit bland for most (in fairness, Star Allies was a late bloomer with the content packs, but it's still so easy you could breeze through it in at most 1 or 2 hours more), with non-Nintendo releases like Octopath and Dead Cells reeling in all the profit. Smash was released in the latter of 2018 and may very well just be considered a 2019 release from hereon in with how late it arrived. It exceeded 5 million sales globally in the first week alone, and with the holidays so close, I'd assume it's a safe bet that sales reached at least 7.5 million by now. Odyssey sold 2.2 million in three days for comparison, so Ultimate is definitely a frontrunner in sales. With its release date, content, and popularity in mind, how truly feasible would it be to only release 5 DLC characters? On top of that, how would it make sense to release them in 2020 if the Switch is probably going to outlast the game by a mile? The way I see it, there's more in it for Nintendo if they add more content than the Fighter's Pass, and I have a feeling the Big N knows that, too.

Honestly I still haven't seen an argument that more DLC is coming that wasn't, "of course there will be more DLC, look how well it's selling and how long the Switch will be around!" That said there are tons of games that sell well that don't just keep getting DLC, one of which was BotW, which got exactly the DLC they said it would get.

I know people are hoping for more but I think some people are setting themselves up for disappointment if you start assuming we'll get more than they have currently announced.

D

Deleted member

Honestly I still haven't seen an argument that more DLC is coming that wasn't, "of course there will be more DLC, look how well it's selling and how long the Switch will be around!" That said there are tons of games that sell well that don't just keep getting DLC, one of which was BotW, which got exactly the DLC they said it would get.

I know people are hoping for more but I think some people are setting themselves up for disappointment if you start assuming we'll get more than they have currently announced.
There isn't any reason to assume it won't either

He'd at least come with Music, right?
If he can't come with a stage, he has to come with music.

I think he should come with a stage too though

-Coco-

Smash Ace

Thanks for your input!!
I've finished the entire series from beginning to end. DQ11 is a fantastic starting point. That being said with Erdrick being high contested as the SE character I would honestly recommend trying 1 to 3. Only because of your Zelda 2 comment. If you cant get into DQ because of 1 and 2 THEN try 11.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

Tbh this is basically my stance on the issue. People talk about how other people shouldn't be setting themselves for disappointment by hoping for one character but then are very sure that a Season 2 of DLC is going to happen when we literally have nothing pointing towards that. I think if anything the smart thing is to expect there not to be a second wave of DLC and be pleasantly surprised if there is. I've seen too many instances in games like Mortal Kombat where people were banking on an additional DLC pack when none was announced and were met with absolutely nothing.

D

Deleted member

Tbh this is basically my stance on the issue. People talk about how other people shouldn't be setting themselves for disappointment by hoping for one character but then are very sure that a Season 2 of DLC is going to happen when we literally have nothing pointing towards that. I think if anything the smart thing is to expect there not to be a second wave of DLC and be pleasantly surprised if there is. I've seen too many instances in games like Mortal Kombat where people were banking on an additional DLC pack when none was announced and were met with absolutely nothing.
There isn't anything pointing to it not happening either

Last edited by a moderator:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
There isn't anything pointing to it not happening either
I mean, yeah. Only the precedence that they didn't do one last time. But that's why I bring up the "Don't bank on one character" mindset. It's the same basic idea of not making assumptions about things you don't have concrete evidence for.

D

Deleted member

I mean, yeah. Only the precedence that they didn't do one last time. But that's why I bring up the "Don't bank on one character" mindset. It's the same basic idea of not making assumptions about things you don't have concrete evidence for.
True. According to the recent article I posted the link to, I think more DLC after wave 1/season 1, even if it's not a season, is likely, though

D

Deleted member

I just thought of something. If Geno was a fighter in the base game, what spirits would possess the Geno puppet fighters? I thought one of them could be Jirachi.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, assuming there will only be one season of DLC, Sakurai's talk of putting his all towards supporting Ultimate sounds pretty silly at face value, unless the fifth character has the most music and spirit content, and most elaborate moveset ever.

It's definitely just for Joker as the first fighter pack. Since each DLC character is confirmed to come in a pack of their own already. Comes with music tracks and a stage so far as we know.

What you want, is something saying "Season 1".
True. According to the recent article I posted the link to, I think more DLC after wave 1/season 1, even if it's not a season, is likely, though
That's within the realm of reason, more or less.

We really need to wait and see what Sakurai is going to say around the time the fifth character is revealed/released.

Last edited:

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I'm pretty trusting of the Nindies direct being next week. It fits some things and it would mean that a regular direct is in early feb, as nindies are always around them. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Anyone who doesn't believe Polar now is very silly.
To be fair, some fake leakers that end up convincing people is because they have access to 'some' information and use it to their advantage.

It's reason to trust someone a little more, but there's never reason to trust someone outright fully anyway.

D

Deleted member

On the topic of trusting leakers, I've begun taking words with salt. First of all, unless they say decisively if something is going to happen, you shouldn't really be caring. Their speculation is not important; only their claims. Second, some can just be flat out wrong. I think Hitagi had an issue with his original list of the five DLC fighters and had to scrap it altogether, creating flack for him. No offense, Polar.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
On the topic of trusting leakers, I've begun taking words with salt. First of all, unless they say decisively if something is going to happen, you shouldn't really be caring. Their speculation is not important; only their claims. Second, some can just be flat out wrong. I think Hitagi had an issue with his original list of the five DLC fighters and had to scrap it altogether, creating flack for him. No offense, Polar.
It's funny you said take with salt, it took me a sec to wrap my head back around 'a grain of salt' because of people talking about being salty so much :p

Also, I'm glad there's other people who're more prudent now. This smash cycle up to release was one of the craziest with fake leaks and all that **** :O

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Leakers are reliable, as long as they don't clearly want to hog all the attention, or don't mess with everyone's dreams for laughs. Or, you know, have sources that are accurate.

Oh, and on the subject of Power Rangers, I heard some good things about the Boom Studios comic, so check that out.

Yeah, for me it was Rex's mii costume that hurt my soul since I thought he was a DLC lock, though it's not like I've been waiting for him for decades or something like Isaac/Geno fans. I wasn't TOO burned by it, though I still feel just a little upset with it since it was my main anchor for the game. My thought process was "it doesn't matter who does/doesn't get in, Rex is basically confirmed!" lol. At least his mii spawned a whole bunch of memes, and it really is better then nothing. And the game is still super satisfactory to me as well.
When I saw the Shovel Knight AT, I was more or less "oof". Did I cry? Get angered? Hit something, shook my fist and say "how dare you"? No, I took it calmly and with humility (although I've never been particularly fussy about Smash reveals).

The best thing to do is to try and not read everything as a hint where there isn't, the Shantae fans got hurt by that in particular.

In any case, it's still really neat that SK even got in as an AT at all, even if his career started too recently.

I'm pretty trusting of the Nindies direct being next week. It fits some things and it would mean that a regular direct is in early feb, as nindies are always around them. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Yeah. Plus Jon Cartwright did post otters, when that happens Directs usually aren't too far off.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
To be fair, some fake leakers that end up convincing people is because they have access to 'some' information and use it to their advantage.

It's reason to trust someone a little more, but there's never reason to trust someone outright fully anyway.
I think the important difference to note between Polar and other leakers is that he's not going on a bunch of different sites and social media and trying to get his name out there like others who will remain nameless. Not sure how new you are to these threads but what he was predominately doing for a long time was trying to give this thread any information he could regarding Geno possibly being in smash. That's literally it. He's not like any number of leakers out there trying to get some hot scoops and leaks for attention. I understand being skeptical, but Polar hasn't given anyone reason to think he's being deceitful or attention *****-y in the slightest. I find this sudden questioning of his legitimacy by people to be kind of weird tbh. Is it a coincidence that this is happening right after he corrected the misinformation of height's importance in character data?

D

Deleted member

Leakers are reliable, as long as they don't clearly want to hog all the attention, or don't mess with everyone's dreams for laughs.
That's not something I care about when keeping up with Vergeben. It's just I'm tired of reading his stuff only to find out he is saying nothing. Same with Hitagi. At this point, I just keep up with PapaGenos, who breaks the important **** down for me when it's available rather than keeping up with it myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's not something I care about when keeping up with Vergeben. It's just I'm tired of reading his stuff only to find out he is saying nothing. Same with Hitagi. At this point, I just keep up with PapaGenos, who breaks the important **** down for me.
Yeah. And at the rate he claims Minecraft stuff might happen, he's obviously unsure about it. Even his day one Ender Dragon boss DLC ticket was wasted. Also, posting in Gamefaqs like he does is a waste of time, energy and sanity.

It's people like them that give the more legitimate leakers a bad name, even the ones in this thread weren't trusted around here by some threads.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

PolarPanda PolarPanda Quick Question if you don't mind, Is there any evidence that the Square rep will be revealed next or is it all just assumptions?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think the important difference to note between Polar and other leakers is that he's not going on a bunch of different sites and social media and trying to get his name out there like others who will remain nameless. Not sure how new you are to these threads but what he was predominately doing for a long time was trying to give this thread any information he could regarding Geno possibly being in smash. That's literally it. He's not like any number of leakers out there trying to get some hot scoops and leaks for attention. I understand being skeptical, but Polar hasn't given anyone reason to think he's being deceitful or attention *****-y in the slightest. I find this sudden questioning of his legitimacy by people to be kind of weird tbh. Is it a coincidence that this is happening right after he corrected the misinformation of height's importance in character data?
Sometimes bias entices gullibility. That's all I'll say.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Sometimes bias entices gullibility. That's all I'll say.
What bias, m8? I'm just some random person who joined the forums this summer and have been in this thread since then. I'm just pointing out that from what I've observed nothing thus far that PolarPanda PolarPanda has done has been sketch so I don't really understand where the specific skepticism towards him is cropping up from. Also, bias goes both ways. It can also entice unwarranted criticism and accusations if someone is saying things you don't necessarily agree with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom