• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Given the lack of announcement for a Direct tomorrow, is it be safe to assume there won't be one? Or does Nintendo tend to sneak them in without any thunder?

Personally I only direct learn of them the day of more often than not from other people.
Yeah. The only direct announcements worth believing at all is from Nintendo. Pretty pessimistic of any leaked direct dates,

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I'm new here and have only really followed Vergeben. What has PolarPanda said anything specific about the DLC so far?

D

Deleted member

I'm new here and have only really followed Vergeben. What has PolarPanda said anything specific about the DLC so far?
He actually said that no one knows the DLC.

There was also a rumor going around through Nintendo of America that Geno would be DLC. So far, all these rumors have turned out to be true, but that's what it is, a rumor. Not a confirmation, although it gives me hope lol

D

Deleted member

He actually said that no one knows the DLC.

There was also a rumor going around through Nintendo of America that Geno would be DLC. So far, all these rumors have turned out to be true, but that's what it is, a rumor. Not a confirmation, although it gives me hope lol
That lines up with what I can surmise. Thanks.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
Power Rangers Battle for the grid, being revealed Jan 22nd. Will be 20$. Will be on Switch, Steam, Ps4, and Xbone. It's very similar to the Power Rangers Legacy Wars mobile game that already exists. There will be a pre-order bonus of the V2 Green Ranger outfit. Enjoy. :)
here's the trailer by the way

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Power Rangers Battle for the grid, being revealed Jan 22nd. Will be 20$. Will be on Switch, Steam, Ps4, and Xbone. It's very similar to the Power Rangers Legacy Wars mobile game that already exists. There will be a pre-order bonus of the V2 Green Ranger outfit. Enjoy. :)
Now this I can get behind.

D

Deleted member

God Power Rangers was my ****ing LIFE as a kid, I would totally buy this for nostalgia purposes alone.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Alright, so I'm going to explain this whole situation briefly. I did not intend for the trailer and all of that Power Ranger game's info to get out. Though since my name is attached to it, I'll own up to it going public.

I'm not the one that made the 4chan thread, or uploaded that mirrored video that went around BTW. If you have any questions, my discord handle is sabi#4552. Thank you for taking the time to understand this whole situation.

D

Deleted member

Alright, so I'm going to explain this whole situation briefly. I did not intend for the trailer and all of that Power Ranger game's info to get out. Though since my name is attached to it, I'll own up to it going public.

I'm not the one that made the 4chan thread, or uploaded that mirrored video that went around BTW. If you have any questions, my discord handle is sabi#4552. Thank you for taking the time to understand this whole situation.
wait, uh, I feel like I'm missing something in this. if you didn't intend for the game's info to come out, then why did you post it on this thread? no hate btw, I'm just obviously misunderstanding something here

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
wait, uh, I feel like I'm missing something in this. if you didn't intend for the game's info to come out, then why did you post it on this thread? no hate btw, I'm just obviously misunderstanding something here
Long story. I didn't post the trailer nor the 4chan thread, which was what exploded. They were posted by somebody else I shared them with, and I didn't expect them to post it publically. Whoops. Thankfully not all the info I have on it went publically. Anyways, as the person said, it's going to be revealed by next Tuesday, so it's soon anyways.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Long story. I didn't post the trailer nor the 4chan thread, which was what exploded. They were posted by somebody else I shared them with, and I didn't expect them to post it publically. Whoops. Thankfully not all the info I have on it went publically. Anyways, as the person said, it's going to be revealed by next Tuesday, so it's soon anyways.
Does this point to a possible direct next week?
(Desperately looking for opportunities to have a Direct this month)

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
So maybe we are in for the next Nintendo direct on Tuesday or is it always on thursdays when it comes to that? I just hope we see if it’s eddy or geno that was chosen to be the square rep.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Does this point to a possible direct next week?
(Desperately looking for opportunities to have a Direct this month)
To my understanding, a nindies sounds like what's happening next week. And, historically, a regular direct is also 1-2 weeks around a nindies.

This doesn't come from my source, mind you, but another leaker who has leaked several direct/reveal dates before posted this yesterday morning and I honestly think it's probably right.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
You know what I just realized. Speculation is fun but at the same time it can be kinda bs. Everyone thinks that there is evidence pointing to their favorite character, everyone thinks that their character could be "Brave". It's all a load of bologna! Why? Because not everyone's favorite character is getting into Smash, and the majority of the evidence people use are either a stretch, believing their intuition is correct, and believing their character will 100% make it in and it would be an insult if they weren't.

That being said, I'm not saying this specifically about Geno fans, but rather something I just noticed. And it's not necessarily a bad thing either. It just basically means that no matter what people will always be setting themselves up for disappointment because everyone believes their character has a shot/will definitely make it in.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
You know what I just realized. Speculation is fun but at the same time it can be kinda bs. Everyone thinks that there is evidence pointing to their favorite character, everyone thinks that their character could be "Brave". It's all a load of bologna! Why? Because not everyone's favorite character is getting into Smash, and the majority of the evidence people use are either a stretch, believing their intuition is correct, and believing their character will 100% make it in and it would be an insult if they weren't.

That being said, I'm not saying this specifically about Geno fans, but rather something I just noticed. And it's not necessarily a bad thing either. It just basically means that no matter what people will always be setting themselves up for disappointment because everyone believes their character has a shot/will definitely make it in.
Yeah, pretty much. Speculation is natural and healthy, but we really have to keep our expectations tempered. We've been burned once, twice, multiple times before — not just Geno's fans, but Smash fans in general — and we need to steel our mentalities to keep that from happening again.

I'd be sad if Geno didn't make it in (which I'd see as less Sakurai's and Nintendo's fault and more Square's, tbh), but I'm honestly expecting the worst in preparation and hoping that other fans' characters make it in. We're all in this together, after all. The more people satisfied, the better.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, pretty much. Speculation is natural and healthy, but we really have to keep our expectations tempered. We've been burned once, twice, multiple times before — not just Geno's fans, but Smash fans in general — and we need to steel our mentalities to keep that from happening again.

I'd be sad if Geno didn't make it in (which I'd see as less Sakurai's and Nintendo's fault and more Square's, tbh), but I'm honestly expecting the worst in preparation and hoping that other fans' characters make it in. We're all in this together, after all. The more people satisfied, the better.
Exactly. It always burns to see characters that you considered locks get deconfirmed, so it's important to keep expectations in check and always prepare for the worst even if the worst is unlikely to pass.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!

I wholeheartedly agree with you here. I think that one of the main reasons fights between character fandoms is because people point at everything and anything as evidence to support their character, and to see that all come tumbling down when they're deconfirmed is frustrating and disappointing. I feel like people need to just stay more grounded and look at their characters' chances logically instead of being too overly optimistic or too overly pessimistic.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
It always burns to see characters that you considered locks get deconfirmed, so it's important to keep expectations in check and always prepare for the worst even if the worst is unlikely to pass.
Considering most people thought Shadow was a lock and I'm the biggest Shadow the Hedgehog fan I know, boy, do I feel that on a spiritual level. Haha...

D

Deleted member

Considering most people thought Shadow was a lock and I'm the biggest Shadow the Hedgehog fan I know, boy, do I feel that on a spiritual level. Haha...
Yeah, for me it was Rex's mii costume that hurt my soul since I thought he was a DLC lock, though it's not like I've been waiting for him for decades or something like Isaac/Geno fans. I wasn't TOO burned by it, though I still feel just a little upset with it since it was my main anchor for the game. My thought process was "it doesn't matter who does/doesn't get in, Rex is basically confirmed!" lol. At least his mii spawned a whole bunch of memes, and it really is better then nothing. And the game is still super satisfactory to me as well.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Yeah, for me it was Rex's mii costume that hurt my soul since I thought he was a DLC lock, though it's not like I've been waiting for him for decades or something like Isaac/Geno fans. I wasn't TOO burned by it, though I still feel just a little upset with it since it was my main anchor for the game. My thought process was "it doesn't matter who does/doesn't get in, Rex is basically confirmed!" lol. At least his mii spawned a whole bunch of memes, and it really is better then nothing. And the game is still super satisfactory to me as well.
Yeah, that was ENTIRELY my situation with Shadow, honestly. On the bright side, at least Shadow is always a relevant, popular character and he has an AT and a spirit, so... I can't complain too much, I guess!

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681

It's called speculation with a hint of optimism. The indefinite clues we get are very much ambiguous, and we know full well they could concretely indicate one character over another. The points we bring up are simply potential links to our character, and majority of the time people acknowledge if their ideas are far-fetched or biased. I think I speak on behalf of 95% of people when I say our intuition is definitely not something we believe holds a candle to the truth; hunches are pretty much the epitome of baselessness.

The people you're referring to are more extremist and toxic members of the community. They dismiss opinion as truth and only truth, and nothing you can say will ever change their minds.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
To my understanding, a nindies sounds like what's happening next week. And, historically, a regular direct is also 1-2 weeks around a nindies.

This doesn't come from my source, mind you, but another leaker who has leaked several direct/reveal dates before posted this yesterday morning and I honestly think it's probably right.
Indie direct....

he's coming boys :skull::skull::skull::skull:

D

Deleted member

We've got some good news: https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...sh-bros-ultimate-creating-entertainment-more/

So Sakurai talks about Smash and things he did over a break of his from Smash, like play DQB 2. I want to show you the Smash part of this article -

Sakurai: "I intend to do as much as I can with this Smash Bros – the source of all this endurance being me seeing how amazing other games are! In order for the development scene in Japan to compete with the rest of the world, doing a little just isn’t enough. We’re pushing ourselves to the limit here. In terms of both teams and creative manpower, competition is inevitable, isn’t it? The games I mentioned earlier in the column took a lot to make, and they’re actually fun – I can really appreciate that."

I don't know about ya'll but more DLC after wave 1 sounds really likely

D

Deleted member

We've got some good news: https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...sh-bros-ultimate-creating-entertainment-more/

So Sakurai talks about Smash and things he did over a break of his from Smash, like play DQB 2. I want to show you the Smash part of this article -

Sakurai: "I intend to do as much as I can with this Smash Bros – the source of all this endurance being me seeing how amazing other games are! In order for the development scene in Japan to compete with the rest of the world, doing a little just isn’t enough. We’re pushing ourselves to the limit here. In terms of both teams and creative manpower, competition is inevitable, isn’t it? The games I mentioned earlier in the column took a lot to make, and they’re actually fun – I can really appreciate that."

I don't know about ya'll but more DLC after wave 1 sounds really likely
It always sounded likely given how specifying "Challenger Pack 1" in Joker's reveal means they'll keep making DLC. Not sure how this is evidence of a second challenger pack though. The quote sounds more like he's working really hard on these current five as is.

D

Deleted member

It always sounded likely given how specifying "Challenger Pack 1" in Joker's reveal means they'll keep making DLC. Not sure how this is evidence of a second challenger pack though. The quote sounds more like he's working really hard on these current five as is.
He says "I intend to do as much as I can with this Smash bros." To me, at least, it sounds like more DLC after wave 1 is likely

D

Deleted member

No hate or Spite towards Dragon Quest at all, it's an Okay series but can I be real for a second? Erdrick being the only possible Square rep that people seem to take seriously is Pretty Boring. I personally have no Connection to that Series and didn't even know people thought this highly of it until like two months ago and I just can't get hyped about Dragon Quest in Smash whatsoever. Again no offense Dragon Quest fans if Erdrick is in I'll be happy for you guys. I don't even hate Dragon Quest nor do I really like Dragon Quest either I'm just kinda meh towards it which kinda kills my hype over here.

D

Deleted member

He says "I intend to do as much as I can with this Smash bros." To me, at least, it sounds like more DLC after wave 1 is likely
Alright. It's a pretty vague quote, as per usual, but we can expect Ultimate to say on our minds for the next, say, six years.

No hate or Spite towards Dragon Quest at all, it's an Okay series but can I be real for a second? Erdrick being the only possible Square rep that people seem to take seriously is Pretty Boring. I personally have no Connection to that Series and didn't even know people thought this highly of it until like two months ago and I just can't get hyped about Dragon Quest in Smash whatsoever. Again no offense Dragon Quest fans if Erdrick is in I'll be happy for you guys. I don't even hate Dragon Quest nor do I really like Dragon Quest either I'm just kinda meh towards it which kinda kills my hype over here.
From my experience, playing the game usually helps. If there's a game on the peoples mind, I'm interested to see what that game could bring to Smash. For example, if I didn't play Bayonetta once, I would never care about her getting in. Same with Fire Emblem. Robin getting into Smash 4 finally pushed me to give the series a shot with Awakening. After all, what is a character if it is not making you play the game?

D

Deleted member

Alright. It's a pretty vague quote, as per usual, but we can expect Ultimate to say on our minds for the next, say, six years.

From my experience, playing the game usually helps. If there's a game on the peoples mind, I'm interested to see what that game could bring to Smash. For example, if I didn't play Bayonetta once, I would never care about her getting in. Same with Fire Emblem. Robin getting into Smash 4 finally pushed me to give the series a shot with Awakening. After all, what is a character if it is not making you play the game?
but I tried DQ like a few weeks ago and it was pretty boring. There wasn't much of a story, the game play was bare-bones classic RPG without some interesting gimmick or something to make you want to play more, and the music was Meh. though it was like the first Dragon quest which of course it would be bare-bones without a gimmick cause isn't the original like THE first RPG? I might try it again but...Meh. I might try a different one but idk

D

Deleted member

Yeah. Later games definitely expand the formula. DQ 8 was what ultimately made DQ even recognizable in the US so that would be my starting point. Otherwise, I hear DQ 4 and 5 are good if those are easier to emulate, especially the DS versions.

But regardless, I empathize because Minecraft seems to have a really fair shot that makes Banjo look harder to prove legitimate. We'll just have to wait and see.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm not so sure about that - "Challenger Pack 1" seems like it could possibly be referring to the pack of the new character, the stage and music that comes with them, and anything else that might be included. (Spirits? Hopefully the spirits for any new series are included with the DLC instead of being limited-time events)

We'll see when the next DLC character is announced, if they're referred to using "Challenger Pack 2" or not.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'm not so sure about that - "Challenger Pack 1" seems like it could possibly be referring to the pack of the new character, the stage and music that comes with them, and anything else that might be included. (Spirits? Hopefully the spirits for any new series are included with the DLC instead of being limited-time events)

We'll see when the next DLC character is announced, if they're referred to using "Challenger Pack 2" or not.
Frankly, I'm very sure that's the case. It's challenger pack 1 of the FIghter's Pass, meaning the first of the five included in said pass.

That being said, what Sakurai said about doing a lot with this Smash Bros. sounds like very good news to me. I wouldn't be surprised if he did more DLC for Smash, even if it isn't necessarily another 'Fighter's Pass'. It's easier on him and his team, he satisfies more people, he markets for the Switch and its long lifespan ahead, etc. It's better than Nintendo pitting him to make a new Smash game ASAP, and he seems a lot happier doing it.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
but I tried DQ like a few weeks ago and it was pretty boring. There wasn't much of a story, the game play was bare-bones classic RPG without some interesting gimmick or something to make you want to play more, and the music was Meh. though it was like the first Dragon quest which of course it would be bare-bones without a gimmick cause isn't the original like THE first RPG? I might try it again but...Meh. I might try a different one but idk
Yeah. Later games definitely expand the formula. DQ 8 was what ultimately made DQ even recognizable in the US so that would be my starting point. Otherwise, I hear DQ 4 and 5 are good if those are easier to emulate, especially the DS versions.

But regardless, I empathize because Minecraft seems to have a really fair shot that makes Banjo look harder to prove legitimate. We'll just have to wait and see.
I mentioned DQ6 in the other thread, and it's on the ds too. 7 is playstation1 or 3ds. So if you cant do those then 5 or 6 might be interesting, depending on if you like recruiting monsters or a class system. 4 is good too but without as much interesting 'gimmicks', though you can swap characters in battle at least.
Honestly tho, you do have to like traditional rpgs some to like Dragon Quest, i think. It can be a nice experience for what it is.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Welp

Looks like we now have another contender for brave :laugh:
05011552.jpg

Why did I not think about this sooner!? I had stopped thinking about Arthur after it seemed that it would be it for Capcom characters once Ken got shown off, and that more relevant Capcom characters would take priority over him.

Mike Tyson to be honest is entirely possible. So is James Bond from GoldenEye 64. It's all thanks to that assist trophy Dr. Kawashima! A real life person brought into the realm of video games (Brain Age) and then into Smash. Mike Tyson is another person who was brought into the realm of video games (Punch-Out!!) and then could be added into Smash.
After the controversies he suffered from? Nah, I'd sooner hope for Mr. Sandman, he's as close as it'll ever get to the Dynamite Kid.

Personally, I wouldn't get my hopes up. We're expected to have this Fighter Pack finished in early 2020 so there is a lot of time to be waiting, and I expect we'll be waiting a while for the next announcement.
Calling it, the fifth character won't be revealed until the month before February 2020. I hope I get a Switch to distract myself adequately before that point.

Frankly, I'm very sure that's the case. It's challenger pack 1 of the FIghter's Pass, meaning the first of the five included in said pass.

That being said, what Sakurai said about doing a lot with this Smash Bros. sounds like very good news to me. I wouldn't be surprised if he did more DLC for Smash, even if it isn't necessarily another 'Fighter's Pass'. It's easier on him and his team, he satisfies more people, he markets for the Switch and its long lifespan ahead, etc. It's better than Nintendo pitting him to make a new Smash game ASAP, and he seems a lot happier doing it.
Knock on wood for miscellaneous DLC of a certain character, no pun intended.

But yes, this is a very promising prospect, and as you can imagine I was happy about sharing the article pertaining to the latest sayings. Especially given the Switch will be lasting a good while.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I mentioned DQ6 in the other thread, and it's on the ds too. 7 is playstation1 or 3ds. So if you cant do those then 5 or 6 might be interesting, depending on if you like recruiting monsters or a class system. 4 is good too but without as much interesting 'gimmicks', though you can swap characters in battle at least.
Honestly tho, you do have to like traditional rpgs some to like Dragon Quest, i think. It can be a nice experience for what it is.
My question to you, as someone who may get into DQ, is if DQ11 is a good starting point or not. Whenever it's out for the Switch, I might splurge and grab a copy.

Also, unrelated, but I looked at your icon the wrong way for a moment and thought the right half of Erdrick's face was a very long nose.

... You can tell I had a sleepless night...

D

Deleted member

My question to you, as someone who may get into DQ, is if DQ11 is a good starting point or not. Whenever it's out for the Switch, I might splurge and grab a copy.

Also, unrelated, but I looked at your icon the wrong way for a moment and thought the right half of Erdrick's face was a very long nose.

It definetely is.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

I haven't played it myself but it looks good. As a starting point though, I would say no if you're starting with it to then go with other games in the series, unless you dont mind revisiting classic titles with older graphics and all that later.
Besides 3d, The battles in 11 arent first person so you see more what the characters do, and then if you go back to the old stuff you might feel it lacking a bit. Depends. But in of itself, yeah 11 would be a good entryway for people already used to rpgs that have more detail and all that.

There isn't a class system in 11, or anything like that, but the skill system is apparently decently extensive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom