• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Lmao the user who posted the link to that code made it sound like it was definitely a DQ character, and I was on that train of thought until I was reminded that it was likely referring to DQ, not definitely.

That said, Mizumi, a video game dataminer, played Ultimate and put the brave character's stats on Ike, and came to the conclusion that the character slides quite a bit. The character is also the heaviest middleweight or the lightest heavyweight, heavier and slower than Joker, lighter and faster than Piranha Plant, doesn't have a wall jump, doesn't have a rapid jab, and is (IIRC) floaty. Other than being floaty and sliding quite a bit, the character seems to match Ike.

I think this character is actually Sora - matches Ike because he wields his weapon with both hands, he is floaty, about as heavy as Megaman or Cloud or Link, and slides quite a bit.

Nothing to worry about though, since Sora is Disney and anything saying that him being in means that Geno can't are fanmade rules
I doubt that it's Sora and am in the Erdrick boat myself, but if it was Sora, that'd actually be very good for Geno's chances. Let me explain why:

If it is Sora and not Erdrick, Vergeben's source was misleading. He was told that it was definitely not Sora and definitely not Geno. Of those two names, one would be getting into Smash under that hypothetical reasoning. Given Sora is more of a Disney rep and Geno is more of a Square rep, Sora getting in would actually prop Geno up on a pedestal for a potential third Square rep, whether it's in Fighter's Pass or some other DLC.

My point? If Erdrick somehow was a red herring and Sora got in instead, that means the unlikely names in the list were supposed to be detracted from with the more common names. Those two unlikely names? Sora and Geno.

That being said, I highly doubt this is the case. I have it in my head that it's Erdrick at this point. If it was Sora instead, though, that'd be a VERY interesting new angle to that list leak.

D

Deleted member

I doubt that it's Sora and am in the Erdrick boat myself, but if it was Sora, that'd actually be very good for Geno's chances. Let me explain why:

If it is Sora and not Erdrick, Vergeben's source was misleading. He was told that it was definitely not Sora and definitely not Geno. Of those two names, one would be getting into Smash under that hypothetical reasoning. Given Sora is more of a Disney rep and Geno is more of a Square rep, Sora getting in would actually prop Geno up on a pedestal for a potential third Square rep, whether it's in Fighter's Pass or some other DLC.

My point? If Erdrick somehow was a red herring and Sora got in instead, that means the unlikely names in the list were supposed to be detracted from with the more common names. Those two unlikely names? Sora and Geno.

That being said, I highly doubt this is the case. I have it in my head that it's Erdrick at this point. If it was Sora instead, though, that'd be a VERY interesting new angle to that list leak.
Those are some good points. I just think it's Sora because of the stats of brave.

Even if Eddy is in though, I wouldn't lose hope in Geno, even for the first pass.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The one thing that made me really want to smash my controller was Death, the Grim Reaper. It took me over 50 tries to beat him, with restarting, in order to go all the way to fight Death. It's like Konami wanted you to smash your controller while playing. Dracula and everyone else was fun to fight, but Death... I was so happy Simon killed him in his reveal trailer. First Death makes me suffer over 50 times, then he kills Luigi? Yeah, he so deserved to be whipped in the face and smacked by Simon's cross. Death makes the jackal snipers from Halo 2 look like wimps.

I absolutely agree about Superstar Saga being better than Bowser's Inside Story. Superstar Saga is what led to a great start in the M&L RPG series, plus Geno was in it, which makes it 7 times better. I like the original much better than the remake because the remake removed a lot of great characters, but the remake did leave a great impact on the soundtrack. However, that doesn't mean Bowser's Inside Story is bad. I prefer the original three over Dream Team and Paper Jam any day of the week. I just don't like how they changed up the sprites and made them 3D looking, because the 2D sprites and atmosphere from the first three games look way better. I agree that Partners in Time was forgettable, but it was still a great game with a great story.

And then there's Super Mario RPG: Best Mario RPG in existence, created by a different gaming company, has the best soundtrack in all of the Mario RPG games, best story in all of the Mario RPG games, has amazing and unique characters, and last but not least an 11/10.

Sentence: SEQUEL WORTHY.​
I like that PIT had a somewhat reasonable explanation behind why we tend to see baby versions of Mario regulars in spin-offs, you get to rip Kamek a new one, and baby Peach is plain adorbs.

If we're getting a FF character, it's from VII. And it would have to be either Sephiroth or Tifa (can't see Aerith given she has gotten the Assist Trophy treatment in Dissidia FF)
And, more to the point, kinda dead canonically. Fair assessment otherwise, I could see the main trio get assembled in Smash, that wouldn't involve adding music besides "SEPHIROTH!" anyway.

I wouldn't mind actually being pleasantly surprised by being mislead, seeing as both of these guys are on my icon list atm.

Wait, Brave is a Disney movie, isn't it? Does that show up in Kingdom Hearts III?

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Lmao the user who posted the link to that code made it sound like it was definitely a DQ character, and I was on that train of thought until I was reminded that it was likely referring to DQ, not definitely.

That said, Mizumi, a video game dataminer, played Ultimate and put the brave character's stats on Ike, and came to the conclusion that the character slides quite a bit. The character is also the heaviest middleweight or the lightest heavyweight, heavier and slower than Joker, lighter and faster than Piranha Plant, doesn't have a wall jump, doesn't have a rapid jab, and is (IIRC) floaty. Other than being floaty and sliding quite a bit, the character seems to match Ike.

I think this character is actually Sora - matches Ike because he wields his weapon with both hands, he is floaty, about as heavy as Megaman or Cloud or Link, and slides quite a bit.

Nothing to worry about though, since Sora is Disney and anything saying that him being in means that Geno can't are fanmade rules
Another weird thing is that is that the character is the size of Toon Link/Ness. That said, the chances of it being adult Erdrick are fairly slim. If it's kid Erdrick, the intel has been wrong because the female version of Erdrick doesn't have a canon kid design.

Latyon

Smash Cadet
Another weird thing is that is that the character is the size of Toon Link/Ness. That said, the chances of it being adult Erdrick are fairly slim. If it's kid Erdrick, the intel has been wrong because the female version of Erdrick doesn't have a canon kid design.
Hmm. Is that true?

Blegh.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Granted, we know that we can't have an accurate representation with stats unless we have the model, and we know Erdrick has pretty tall hair. Even with that, though, only kid Erdrick really fits that bill, not adult Erdrick.

In terms of other characters, though, that would more fit Geno or kid Erdrick rather than Sora. In fact, kid Erdrick and Geno are the only ones who really fit those general height parameters, giving or taking additional features from their models and bone sets.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Granted, we know that we can't have an accurate representation with stats unless we have the model, and we know Erdrick has pretty tall hair. Even with that, though, only kid Erdrick really fits that bill, not adult Erdrick.

In terms of other characters, though, that would more fit Geno or kid Erdrick rather than Sora. In fact, kid Erdrick and Geno are the only ones who really fit those general height parameters, giving or taking additional features from their models and bone sets.
On the flipside, the only way to get alts would be with other kid heroes (namely the one from VII), and that alone would tear the fake DLC leak list into shreds, since it claimed Anlucia and Luminary would be his alts.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
But wasn't the height thing kinda unreliable, given it relates to the bone positioning and could be entirely different from what we expect?
Also, stats aren't final, as those have changed between patches.

And, more to the point, kinda dead canonically. Fair assessment otherwise, I could see the main trio get assembled in Smash, that wouldn't involve adding music besides "SEPHIROTH!" anyway.
DUDE. SPOILERS FOR A 22-YEAR-OLD GAME
Joking aside, being dead or alive canon-wise is irrelevant, given diferent Links from different time periods coexist.
Music-wise, it would be great. If they add any of them, I hope S-E treats the series fairly this time.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
But wasn't the height thing kinda unreliable, given it relates to the bone positioning and could be entirely different from what we expect?
Also, stats aren't final, as those have changed between patches.

DUDE. SPOILERS FOR A 22-YEAR-OLD GAME
Joking aside, being dead or alive canon-wise is irrelevant, given diferent Links from different time periods coexist.
Music-wise, it would be great. If they add any of them, I hope S-E treats the series fairly this time.
Yeah, that is true. :ultdarksamus: Though I still think they'll pass over Aerith regardless, even if a staff user would be appreciated.

Xigger

Smash Lord
The intel? Wrong? This is the first time I heard anything against Erdrick, it's really refreshing

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
D

Deleted member

In response to that:

View attachment 186382

Note the size differences. The lines indicate the actual height of the character and this is likely what Mizumi was referring to. If characters were broken down to their basic models, things like hair or hats wouldn't necessarily count. That said, Brave's total height may be more but probably not by much.
I see...

So then it is a character the size of Toon Link/Ness, about the weight of Mega Man/Cloud/Link, floaty, doesn't have a rapid jab, a very tiny bit slower than Young Link...

....dafuq!?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Y'know, seeing the size comparison picture...if it's adult Erdrick, then the size would surely be changed, and if it's kid Erdrick, he'd either have a weird bobble head, look like an EarthBound kid, or be a pipsqueak.

I guess he could also just be in an idle animation where his knees are bent, but would he be low enough to match Ness's height, without it looking weird or like he's about to cause himself to fall over...?

Granted, Ridley and Samus share the same size (their size is 18), while Bowser and K. Rool are bigger (24 and 21 respectively), which doesn't seem right.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
You guys are taking the stats way too seriously. As was previously stated, it is subject to change, as it has been the case with other files.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I see...

So then it is a character the size of Toon Link/Ness, about the weight of Mega Man/Cloud/Link, floaty, doesn't have a rapid jab, a very tiny bit slower than Young Link...

....dafuq!?
Yeah, it's really weird. Either way, everyone agrees that the character doesn't move like someone in full armor like adult Erdrick and most people have noted that the character moves like someone with magical/psychic properties. The slide is especially notable because it's so distinctive and unlike a sword fighter. Like I mentioned earlier, these are reasons why people are starting to think something's off and if it's still a DQ character, it's either kid Erdrick or, much less likely, a chibi version of another DQ character.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, it's really weird. Either way, everyone agrees that the character doesn't move like someone in full armor like adult Erdrick and most people have noted that the character moves like someone with magical/psychic properties. The slide is especially notable because it's so distinctive and unlike a sword fighter. Like I mentioned earlier, these are reasons why people are starting to think something's off and if it's still a DQ character, it's either kid Erdrick or, much less likely, a chibi version of another DQ character.
What's making me doubt it is kid Eddy or any other DQ character is that the character is heavy and, IIRC, floaty.

The closest I can think of is KH1 Sora, maybe in a stance with his knees bent, but even then, would he be as heavy as the brave character?

Probably some bias here, but maybe my Mother 1 boy? He's floaty and obviously the size of Ness, but still, I'm don't think he would be that heavy...

And, in response to TheCJBrine TheCJBrine , I doubt metal Slime because the brave character is floaty, and I doubt regular Slime because I don't think the character would be as heavy as the brave character....

This is going to be a really.....

WAIT. WHAT IF IT IS SANS. I COULD SEE HIM BEING FLOATY AND HEAVY, AND THE CHARACTER IS SHORT

Edit: Actually, I'm not sure if Sans is the kind of character that slides

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
What's making me doubt it is kid Eddy or any other DQ character is that the character is heavy and, IIRC, floaty.

The closest I can think of is KH1 Sora, maybe in a stance with his knees bent, but even then, would he be as heavy as the brave character?

Probably some bias here, but maybe my Mother 1 boy? He's floaty and obviously the size of Ness, but still, I'm don't think he would be that heavy...

And, in response to TheCJBrine TheCJBrine , I doubt metal Slime because the brave character is floaty, and I doubt regular Slime because I don't think the character would be as heavy as the brave character....

WAIT. WHAT IF IT IS SANS. I COULD SEE HIM BEING FLOATY AND HEAVY, AND THE CHARACTER IS SHORT

Well, he is fast, AND is made of magic, so.

Does determination count as being brave?

D

Deleted member

Well, he is fast, AND is made of magic, so.

Does determination count as being brave?
A good point was brought up by Fatmanonice Fatmanonice here and Sigran101 Sigran101 in the Square thread, that brave is just being used as a coverup for who the real character is, rather than a hint to who the character is. I think though that Sans could be this character, but the only thing making me doubt that is that the character slides quite a bit.

I haven't played Undertale. Can someone who has played Undertale confirm if Sans is the kind of character that slides quite a bit?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I guess, though technically the monsters don't have a whole lot of determination, 'cause they'd melt if they did.

Would Frisk be heavy? I dunno.
Well, they'd have tangible weight, at any rate.
Depending on if they don't have much sins crawling on their back.

Anyway, how many small characters with magic are there that can slide? A process of elimination might help.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, they'd have tangible weight, at any rate.
Depending on if they don't have much sins crawling on their back.

Anyway, how many small characters with magic are there that can slide? A process of elimination might help.
Does Sans count as a character that can slide?

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman

When Fatmanonice said he moved like someone with magical or psychic properties I thought of Ninten as well. (But the heaviness thing seems to rule him out here like you said) But honestly, if the stats don't change dramatically (and they could still do that) I have a hard time imagining it could be any DQ character but Slime. At the same time though, I doubt they would choose Slime right after doing the Piranha Plant character. Sans is very possible in my mind. I wouldn't be surprised if the character turns out to be just as out of left field as Joker.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
A good point was brought up by Fatmanonice Fatmanonice here and Sigran101 Sigran101 in the Square thread, that brave is just being used as a coverup for who the real character is, rather than a hint to who the character is. I think though that Sans could be this character, but the only thing making me doubt that is that the character slides quite a bit.

I haven't played Undertale. Can someone who has played Undertale confirm if Sans is the kind of character that slides quite a bit?
Sans is known to dodge, something unique to only him in Undertale. Not a slide pe rse, but arguably his most notable feature outside of a ton of spoiler stuff. Piccolo would be proud.

D

Deleted member

When Fatmanonice said he moved like someone with magical or psychic properties I thought of Ninten as well. (But the heaviness thing seems to rule him out here like you said) But honestly, if the stats don't change dramatically (and they could still do that) I have a hard time imagining it could be any DQ character but Slime. At the same time though, I doubt they would choose Slime right after doing the Piranha Plant character. Sans is very possible in my mind. I wouldn't be surprised if the character turns out to be just as out of left field as Joker.
The reason I doubt Slime is because I don't think he/it would be heavy, and I doubt Metal Slime because I don't think he/it would be floaty.

I would really love for it to be Ninten, but I don't think he would be as heavy as the brave character.

Sans is known to dodge, something unique to only him in Undertale. Not a slide pe rse, but arguably his most notable feature outside of a ton of spoiler stuff. Piccolo would be proud.
I could see them implementing his dodges as lots of slides. To me, this brave character is looking a lot to be Sans.

I know people have said that banjo slides a lot in his game.
Banjo does slide a lot, but I don't think he would be as heavy as the brave character. I could see him being short, but Idk.

I'm leaning a lot towards it being Sans now

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Since things have slowed to a crawl around here, I might have something that could bring some light to this place.
This is super unlikely, and you can call me crazy, but....

Geno fits the stats of Brave.

Let's see what we have:

- Height of 13.
Slightly shorter than Mario (14), same size as Ness/Young Link/Lucas/Villager. Geno is canonically just a smidge shorter than Mario.

- Weight of 101.
Slightly heavier than Mario (98), weight is closest to Cloud and Mii Swordsman (100). Being made out of almost entirely wood, Geno would weigh slightly more.

- Relatively fast and floaty for their weight.
"Brave" has a surprisingly low gravity spec of 0.09 and a max run speed of 1.74, in between Kirby and Young Link. Odd, no?
...Do you see where I'm leading this?

- Slides a short distance when turning around from a dash.
This is a weird specification for a character. It looks like the skid is on Luigi levels of slippery. Wood has a tendency to skid when travelling fast. This is the longest shot of the theory, but if anything it does help.

- Labelled as "fighter_skin_kind_bio" within the param data.
This is where things get tricky. There are only two labels for this spec: bio or kikai. Kikai is only used for these four characters:
- Samus
- R.O.B.
- Mega Man
- Dark Samus
(The only odd one out of the group, most likely in here since she's an echo of Samus.)
It seems to just be a general "metal" specifier. Everyone in the bio group is, as you may have guessed, biological material. Humans, animals, plants.
Wood is a biological material.

The only thing that I can't seem to work around is the naming convention. If it is Geno, why codename him as brave?

Just something speculative to put into your heads.

genosly.png

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Optimistic but:

I could see "Brave" meaning absolutely nothing. It'd make sense since Joker and Piranha Plant were revealed before the game came out, so including names that related to them would make us conclude that "Brave" must also signify the character. However, the devs might've known that the game was gonna be datamined upon release, not so much beforehand, so they threw in a couple of red herrings. The height is something I think we should go off of.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The only thing that I can't seem to work around is the naming convention. If it is Geno, why codename him as brave?
Because Square loves to throw people off with leakbait, and this would be some prime level leakbait if they conspired this up with Sakurai.

... I highly doubt it, though. Super duper unlikely. I'd love it, though. Those stats fit so well with Geno... :drsad:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Since things have slowed to a crawl around here, I might have something that could bring some light to this place.

Let's see what we have:

- Height of 13.
Slightly shorter than Mario (14), same size as Ness/Young Link/Lucas/Villager. Geno is canonically just a smidge shorter than Mario.

- Weight of 101.
Slightly heavier than Mario (98), weight is closest to Cloud and Mii Swordsman (100). Being made out of almost entirely wood, Geno would weigh slightly more.

"Brave" has a surprisingly low gravity spec of 0.09 and a max run speed of 1.74, in between Kirby and Young Link. Odd, no?

This is a weird specification for a character. It looks like the skid is on Luigi levels of slippery. Wood has a tendency to skid when travelling fast. This is the longest shot of the theory, but if anything it does help.

This is where things get tricky. There are only two labels for this spec: bio or kikai. Kikai is only used for these four characters:
- Samus
- R.O.B.
- Mega Man
- Dark Samus
(The only odd one out of the group, most likely in here since she's an echo of Samus.)
It seems to just be a general "metal" specifier. Everyone in the bio group is, as you may have guessed, biological material. Humans, animals, plants.

View attachment 186395
You know what's my problem, deep inside my heart I absolutely want it to be Geno. However, I managed to convince myself that is someone else because it feels it's the safest way to stop raising my expectations. This said I thought it was Geno since the Size data.
March is a perfect month to release DLC Fighter N°2, What about March the 9th.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Have the changes to height in the other files been dramatic?
This. Mizumi plugged Pirhana Plant into Bowser Jr too and the overall concept of the character seems established: slow but with goofy range and a lot of lag on most attacks. That said, even if the height changes dramatically, the character concept seems concrete: floaty but with a fast fall and a weird slide.

D

Deleted member

Let's see what we have:

- Height of 13.

- Weight of 101.

- Samus
- R.O.B.
- Mega Man
- Dark Samus

View attachment 186395
Huh, I never thought of Geno as a heavy character. I think he would lean towards being a lighter character. That's the only thing stopping me from thinking Geno could be the brave character.

I'm leaning more towards it being Sans, but it could be Geno. After all, if I'm not mistaken, PP is actually heavier than Ridley, so maybe some characters are heavier than we thought.

And would anyone have ever guessed that Paccku would be referring to Piranha Plant? Maybe brave is a character no one would think the codename has a hint to.

Certainly interesting though

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
Brave talk? Some people suggest that the code name is a little too on the nose. "Jack" was in the game's code back in November but we actually managed to keep that a secret. At the time, nobody knew what it was. It wasn't until the VGAs that people were like "ooooh, I get it" and made the connection between Joker and the code name (Jack referring to either cards like Joker or Jack Frost, Atlus's mascot). "Brave" is a little too upfront especially since this is basically a direct translation of what the main Dragon Quest Heros are called in Japan. On this train of thought, if Pirhana Plant wasn't revealed, we'd all probably be scratching our heads about the code name Paccku. In comparison, the code name "Brave" is a little too obvious which may mean Nintendo may be up to shenanigans and it may be a red herring.
You guys thought the "Jack" codename meant it was Raiden because his name is Jack, right?
Calling Erdrick "Brave" (Yuusha) is on that same level of on-the-nose-ness.

You guys are taking the stats way too seriously. As was previously stated, it is subject to change, as it has been the case with other files.
Doubling the character's height like that would require them to totally remodel the character to fit the height adjustment; otherwise it'd look stretched. Not something I think would be happening.

I've personally been entertaining the idea that Slime is the character and Erdrick is coming as a boss as a sort of inversion of the typical RPG battle. That's only if every DLC character is coming with a boss, though.

I guess, though technically the monsters don't have a whole lot of determination, 'cause they'd melt if they did.

Would Frisk be heavy? I dunno.
Frisk would fall pretty quickly, if they're working like they are in-battle.
Also, Bravery is one of the SOUL color's attributes.....

Really, I think this will come down to whether the Square DLC rep was chosen by Nintendo first, or if it was Square's choice in exchange for Cloud in the base game of Ultimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom