• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Yes: https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/1...blematic-of-smash-bros-ultimates-dlc-approach

Reggie talks about picking Joker:
“It's emblematic of the approach that Mr. Sakurai and the team are taking with the DLC,” Fils-Aime told IGN. “He wants characters that are unique, different, to bring them into the Smash Bros. environment. So it's going to be tremendously exciting.”

About the DLC: “Mr. Sakurai, he's not only a student of Nintendo franchises, and obviously he's had his hand in a few, but he's a student of video games from a total perspective,” Fils-Aime said. “And so he's been the driver in really thinking about what type of character coming into Super Smash Bros Ultimate would bring just a whole different level of fun and enjoyment for the player. That's been the approach. That's the thinking."
And that makes it pretty clear to me it's either a list or they are choosing it at the same time. They both have a huge say in it. I like it. It also might help Nintendo learn more about pleasing their fanbase like Sakurai tries to. Sadly some characters are still pretty unlikely(mostly obscure ones, as Nintendo is still removing games from the US version of the Console Minis, kind of proving they are out of touch at times), but it still helps. Nintendo is pretty clearly agreeing that important to their own system isn't a big deal when they helped choose Joker. A single appearance for a character heavily associated with the PlayStation is a notable point here.
I have a feeling Sakurai and Nintendo also have to play the "Both companies must agree upon approval" rule. Because when Sakurai goes to a third-party company that holds a character they own, SEGA for example, he chooses a character they legally own, like Sonic. When Sakurai agrees upon it, SEGA has to as well. It took them a few months in order to do so in Brawl, hence why it was delayed. So perhaps Sakurai and Nintendo both have to agree upon the DLC characters. We can't forget that this is Sakurai's game, not Nintendo's, so the creator/director of the game should also have the authority of selecting the characters he wants.

And yes, Joker was quite an interesting choice. Sakurai likes Persona 5 and Nintendo could've approved the DLC suggestion, so they went to SEGA in order to buy Joker's rights to use him in the game. This could've been chosen because:

A) They had plans for Persona 5 R to come to the Switch, and there's a rumor going around that Persona 5 R is coming to the Switch.
B) Sakurai likes Persona 5 and thought a character from their franchise would be great in Smash, so both Sakurai and Nintendo agreed on having Joker in the game as the first DLC character.
Hey fellow geno fans I’m sry this is off topic again but if anyone here has taken apart an original wii, specifically the disc drive, could you please pm me, i need help and possibly specific pictures of a disassembled drive...

To keep it back on topic, other than geno or mallow, if Nintendo got the full rights to everything in smrpg, what are some other original characters from it you’d like to see revived?

Personally I’d like booster, Valentina, Croco and belome to show up more.
I'd like Belome to be the main villain in a Mario RPG game. We have no clue of this thing's backstory, like, is it supposed to be a spirit or an ancient being? Belome always creeped the hell out of me when I was little, but he would definitely be an interesting antagonist of the series, probably on par with Dimentio. Even after he's defeated, he's still alive but warps or fades away to go eat... I think he's immortal. If we had a SMRPG x M&L crossover, I'd so love to see Croco and Popple team up.
Of course, there's also Geno, whom Sakurai specifically stated would be perfect for Smash.
Geno holds the "Sakurai bias" pass. lol

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That’s why it’s so good.

Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, I love old-school games that are tough as balls. Gives you a super visceral feeling and when you beat them, nothing in the world feels better.

It’s something that I feel that most games nowadays are missing.
Thank god for roguelikes, it took me days to beat Dead Cells the first time. At any rate, there's still occasionally some tough games here and there besides those.

How to torture yourself while playing video games:

Castlevania
Ninja Gaiden
Battletoads
Ghosts N Goblins

Have fun!
Kicker is, I managed to master Battletoads & Double Dragon on the NES and that was tough indeed. And it was easier than the first Battletoads.

Also, the modern version of NG isn't any easier, it's even harder.

Geno holds the "Sakurai bias" pass. lol
Only question is when he'll be cashing in on that pass. At this stage he's starting to run out of main/major Mario characters besides him (Pauline, Birdo, Captain Toad, Toadette and Waluigi), so it'll get increasingly harder to ignore the elephant in the room.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I can't really give an opinion on anything outside SMRPG when it comes to Mario RPGs since I've never played a game in the M&L or Paper Mario series, but I have heard that CS and SS are argued between which one is worse.

I'm not trying to be mean, just pointing out that neither one was all that well received and your opinion on it is personal: you can like games that are 'bad' based on what scale we used to judge games.
My opinions:

-Paper Mario: was hard to appreciate when it first came out like Mario Sunshine and Twilight Princess because they followed legendary games but definitely a classic now.

-Thousand Year Door: my second favorite Mario RPG. The cast is the best aspect of this game. Polished the mechanics of the first to a T.

-Super Paper Mario: second best backstory of all the RPGs and great characters but weird gameplay that drags down the experience.

-Sticker Star: comically awful. There's a reason this game was on clearance racks within months of coming out. Skip.

-Color Splash: unusually good dialogue but that's the only upside. Painfully mediocre otherwise.

-Super Star Saga: genuinely hilarious. My third favorite Mario RPG. Lots of likeable characters and worth playing because of Luigi and Fawful alone.

-Partners in Time: perfectly forgettable. Not bad but completely "meh."

-Bowser's Inside Story: the second best of the Mario and Luigi games but doesn't quite reach the heights of the first. Arguably has the best soundtrack of the Mario RPGs aside from SMRPG though.

-Dream Team: Cool battle mechanics but also kind of forgettable.

-Paper Jam: kind of proof positive that the Paper Mario brand is kind of toxic now and sort of poisons everything it touches. The weakest of the Mario and Luigi games by a wide margin.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
My opinions:

-Paper Mario: was hard to appreciate when it first came out like Mario Sunshine and Twilight Princess because they followed legendary games but definitely a classic now.

-Thousand Year Door: my second favorite Mario RPG. The cast is the best aspect of this game. Polished the mechanics of the first to a T.

-Super Paper Mario: second best backstory of all the RPGs and great characters but weird gameplay that drags down the experience.

-Sticker Star: comically awful. There's a reason this game was on clearance racks within months of coming out. Skip.

-Color Splash: unusually good dialogue but that's the only upside. Painfully mediocre otherwise.

-Super Star Saga: genuinely hilarious. My third favorite Mario RPG. Lots of likeable characters and worth playing because of Luigi and Fawful alone.

-Bowser's Inside Story: the second best of the Mario and Luigi games but doesn't quite reach the heights of the first. Arguably has the best soundtrack of the Mario RPGs aside from SMRPG though.

-Paper Jam: kind of proof positive that the Paper Mario brand is kind of toxic now and sort of poisons everything it touches. The weakest of the Mario and Luigi games by a wide margin.
How would you feel about Paper Mario being in Smash?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
How would you feel about Paper Mario being in Smash?
Okay if he was genuinely unique and used his paper crafting abilities. In concept, the character could be really cool but it begs the question of if they would actually be willing to put the work into it. Seeing how Dark Samus and Daisy turned out and how they still don't see Toad or Dixie as justifiable despite their unique traits, I'm betting no unless there's a Paper Mario game in the future that's explosively popular.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Okay if he was genuinely unique and used his paper crafting abilities. In concept, the character could be really cool but it begs the question of if they would actually be willing to put the work into it. Seeing how Dark Samus and Daisy turned out and how they still don't see Toad or Dixie as justifiable despite their unique traits, I'm betting no unless there's a Paper Mario game in the future that's explosively popular.
The only way I could see Paper Mario being popular again is if they bring back the core RPG mechanics from the first two games along with a original cast.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Or they completely run out of Mario options and they'll have no other choice, assuming they don't call it a day after Waluigi finally gets in.

Then again the Mario RPGs are ignored until further notice anyway, so.

The only way I could see Paper Mario being popular again is if they bring back the core RPG mechanics from the first two games along with a original cast.
The only way that'll happen is if Koizumi's brought in as a producer, at least he's actually daring as far as Mario creators go. Only problem is whether he'll be working on a major Mario entry or not in the near future.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I do agree with the elephant in the room when it comes to Mario. Toad seems to be a hard no until further notice and Waluigi might eventually squeak by but it's kind of a desert right now aside from Geno when it comes to actual fan demand. Pauline might pull a Rosalina but I feel like Rosalina was mostly pushed by her playability in 3D World and Pauline could just wind up as yet another spinoff mainstay.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I do agree with the elephant in the room when it comes to Mario. Toad seems to be a hard no until further notice and Waluigi might eventually squeak by but it's kind of a desert right now aside from Geno when it comes to actual fan demand. Pauline might pull a Rosalina but I feel like Rosalina was mostly pushed by her playability in 3D World and Pauline could just wind us as yet another spinoff mainstay.
It wouldn't surprise me if Pauline does end up getting in the roster in the next Smash because she was there from the beginning with Mario and Donkey Kong, so she is iconic.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Pauline with an Odyessy inspired moveset would be fun but it kind of begs the question of if they would go for it given the next Smash probably won't be for another 6-10 years and there will definitely be new major Mario installments by then. Rosalina was, of course, relevant in Galaxy 1 and 2 and 3D World but who knows if Pauline will be relevant in the next major Mario game.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Pauline with an Odyessy inspired moveset would be fun but it kind of begs the question of if they would go for it given the next Smash probably won't be for another 6-10 years and there will definitely be new major Mario installments by then. Rosalina was, of course, relevant in Galaxy 1 and 2 and 3D World but who knows if Pauline will be relevant in the next major Mario game.
I'd like a mix of Odyssey move's and OG classic Donkey Kong moves (although those could fit Cranky Kong as well, possibly a bit better)

domriver

Smash Lord
I wouldn't mind Pauline in smash. Though the one that has me got me a tad more curious and probably comical to see as a character is Madam Broodal.

I will think of a moveset for her. LOL somepoint. I think she has potential.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
A character that predominantly fights with a hat would be pretty funny. Give her the purse and umbrella from the original arcade game as tilts or smash attacks too. Like I've said in the past, I want Pauline to become a mainstay because I want them to address her past relationship with Mario in a future game. They sort of just settled Daisy by making her Luigi's squeeze but I want to see what they do, especially if they decide to go into in one of the RPGs. I don't know why but having Mario's obviously hotter and more accomplished exe as an option is just hilarious to me.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'd say yes. Let's recall that Bowser Jr didn't get in Smash until 4, despite the fact that Brawl had Delfino Plaza and didn't have any new Mario characters beyond Wario (and even then he came under his spin-off branding).

I wouldn't mind Pauline in smash. Though the one that has me got me a tad more curious and probably comical to see as a character is Madam Broodal.

I feel like the Broodals in general are being slept on hard. On the surface, they don't seem like they'll get much more focus than the Sprixies, but I could see them leap in unexpectedly via the big mom here.

And besides, some people wanted her and Bowser to interact with each other anyway, so that'd be a bonus,

A character that predominantly fights with a hat would be pretty funny. Give her the purse and umbrella from the original arcade game as tilts or smash attacks too. Like I've said in the past, I want Pauline to become a mainstay because I want them to address her past relationship with Mario in a future game. They sort of just settled Daisy by making her Luigi's squeeze but I want to see what they do, especially if they decide to go into in one of the RPGs. I don't know why but having Mario's obviously hotter and more accomplished exe as an option is just hilarious to me.
What's a funnier possibility to me is whether Waluigi is going to try and put the moves on her, and fail spectacularly.

Oh, and seeing the Minis get used as attacks would be nice too, seeing as the Mario Vs. Donkey Kong line of games is finally being retired for good.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Imagine if Luigi dated Pauline. Or Pauline dated Peach lmao.

Zieges

Smash Rookie
I'm surprised no one thinks it could be Ramza or Delita from FF Tactics. "A Zodiac Brave Story". Both could fit the midweight swordsman archetype.

D

Deleted member

I'm surprised no one thinks it could be Ramza or Delita from FF Tactics. "A Zodiac Brave Story". Both could fit the midweight swordsman archetype.
It's cause the FF logo is specifically the FF7 logo, making any FF character from a game other than FF7 extremely unlikely. If FF gets another rep, it would most likely be Sephiroth

Zieges

Smash Rookie
It's cause the FF logo is specifically the FF7 logo, making any FF character from a game other than FF7 extremely unlikely. If FF gets another rep, it would most likely be Sephiroth
Except that the FF isn't exclusive to FF7 at all, font-style or otherwise.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Except that the FF isn't exclusive to FF7 at all, font-style or otherwise.
Not sure about any FF characters' chances or not, but I think they mean that the official Smash Bros. site has it listed specifically with FF7's logo, meteor and all.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Hot take: I actually kinda like Paper Mario 64 a tiny bit more than TTYD. While TTYD expanded upon the N64 game in largely good ways, I also felt it could be a bit more of a slog at times with some of its more backtracky sections. I also loved how Paper Mario 64 handled Bowser. Paper mario 64 is one of the rare games where bowser actually felt like a legit threat, and not a joke character, or a game where he's sort of just there as a villain.

I will say that TTYD has one of the best chapters in the series with the Glitz Pit. That was amazing.

Zieges

Smash Rookie
But the in-game asset just uses the FF. I'm not saying it's certain of course, I think it would be cool though.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Not sure about any FF characters' chances or not, but I think they mean that the official Smash Bros. site has it listed specifically with FF7's logo, meteor and all.
It’s worth mentioning that the site counts for base game, DLC is fair game. Also the site specifically has the logos for Bayonetta 2, WarioWare Gold and Star Fox Zero, and still has content from other games in those series.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
It’s worth mentioning that the site counts for base game, DLC is fair game. Also the site specifically has the logos for Bayonetta 2, WarioWare Gold and Star Fox Zero, and still has content from other games in those series.
Sounds like a case of, "Hey, we're the Nintendo site building team and we don't know what the heck we're doing," to me then.

Nintendo, I question your methods.

D

Deleted member

Oh, nvm then

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sounds like a case of, "Hey, we're the Nintendo site building team and we don't know what the heck we're doing," to me then.

Nintendo, I question your methods.
Yeah, it's rare they got much right on this one.

Granted, series logos are the tip of the iceberg on things that staff bungled up on.

Hot take: I actually kinda like Paper Mario 64 a tiny bit more than TTYD. While TTYD expanded upon the N64 game in largely good ways, I also felt it could be a bit more of a slog at times with some of its more backtracky sections. I also loved how Paper Mario 64 handled Bowser. Paper mario 64 is one of the rare games where bowser actually felt like a legit threat, and not a joke character, or a game where he's sort of just there as a villain.

I will say that TTYD has one of the best chapters in the series with the Glitz Pit. That was amazing.
Kinda wish you'd fight to his leitmotif from that game in Smash, it was pretty good.

Last edited:

Thebluecomet

Traveling the universe

I agree man I used to believe that TTYD was the better game but, replaying that game has changed my opinion, chapter four twilight town was a pain in the ass to play through.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
That’s why it’s so good.

Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, I love old-school games that are tough as balls. Gives you a super visceral feeling and when you beat them, nothing in the world feels better.

It’s something that I feel that most games nowadays are missing.
The one thing that made me really want to smash my controller was Death, the Grim Reaper. It took me over 50 tries to beat him, with restarting, in order to go all the way to fight Death. It's like Konami wanted you to smash your controller while playing. Dracula and everyone else was fun to fight, but Death... I was so happy Simon killed him in his reveal trailer. First Death makes me suffer over 50 times, then he kills Luigi? Yeah, he so deserved to be whipped in the face and smacked by Simon's cross. Death makes the jackal snipers from Halo 2 look like wimps.
My opinions:

I absolutely agree about Superstar Saga being better than Bowser's Inside Story. Superstar Saga is what led to a great start in the M&L RPG series, plus Geno was in it, which makes it 7 times better. I like the original much better than the remake because the remake removed a lot of great characters, but the remake did leave a great impact on the soundtrack. However, that doesn't mean Bowser's Inside Story is bad. I prefer the original three over Dream Team and Paper Jam any day of the week. I just don't like how they changed up the sprites and made them 3D looking, because the 2D sprites and atmosphere from the first three games look way better. I agree that Partners in Time was forgettable, but it was still a great game with a great story.

And then there's Super Mario RPG: Best Mario RPG in existence, created by a different gaming company, has the best soundtrack in all of the Mario RPG games, best story in all of the Mario RPG games, has amazing and unique characters, and last but not least an 11/10.

Sentence: SEQUEL WORTHY.​

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Actually, you are incorrect. While the original logos for Warioware and Star Fox come from those games, they were edited so they simply say "Warioware" and "Star Fox" (which, btw, is the exact same font used for other games in the series other than Zero).
FFVII and Bayonetta are the only ones to specify the game.
Also, in-game the series is also listed as FFVII, not FF. Check the music files.

If we're getting a FF character, it's from VII. And it would have to be either Sephiroth or Tifa (can't see Aerith given she has gotten the Assist Trophy treatment in Dissidia FF)

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I agree man I used to believe that TTYD was the better game but, replaying that game has changed my opinion, chapter four twilight town was a pain in the *** to play through.
Chapter 6 was my all-time favorite in Paper Mario TTYD. The fact that you get to go on a train and solve mysteries was unique and awesome.

I do agree that the Chapter 3 is definitely amazing, but it stays at #2 for me. Now what should've been the Paper Mario stage was THE GLITZ PIT or Sammer's Kingdom. Not... ugh, that awful Paper Mario stage where it shows a bunch of Sticker Star representation... the only good portion in that is the TTYD part.
It looks like the Mandela Effect is playing tricks on me again, because I definitely remember Sammer's Kingdom being called "Sammer Kingdom".

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Brave talk? Some people suggest that the code name is a little too on the nose. "Jack" was in the game's code back in November but we actually managed to keep that a secret. At the time, nobody knew what it was. It wasn't until the VGAs that people were like "ooooh, I get it" and made the connection between Joker and the code name (Jack referring to either cards like Joker or Jack Frost, Atlus's mascot). "Brave" is a little too upfront especially since this is basically a direct translation of what the main Dragon Quest Heros are called in Japan. On this train of thought, if Pirhana Plant wasn't revealed, we'd all probably be scratching our heads about the code name Paccku. In comparison, the code name "Brave" is a little too obvious which may mean Nintendo may be up to shenanigans and it may be a red herring.

D

Deleted member

Brave talk? Some people suggest that the code name is a little too on the nose. "Jack" was in the game's code back in November but we actually managed to keep that a secret. At the time, nobody knew what it was. It wasn't until the VGAs that people were like "ooooh, I get it" and made the connection between Joker and the code name (Jack referring to either cards like Joker or Jack Frost, Atlus's mascot). "Brave" is a little too upfront especially since this is basically a direct translation of what the main Dragon Quest Heros are called in Japan. On this train of thought, if Pirhana Plant wasn't revealed, we'd all probably be scratching our heads about the code name Paccku. In comparison, the code name "Brave" is a little too obvious which may mean Nintendo may be up to shenanigans and it may be a red herring.
Lmao the user who posted the link to that code made it sound like it was definitely a DQ character, and I was on that train of thought until I was reminded that it was likely referring to DQ, not definitely.

That said, Mizumi, a video game dataminer, played Ultimate and put the brave character's stats on Ike, and came to the conclusion that the character slides quite a bit. The character is also the heaviest middleweight or the lightest heavyweight, heavier and slower than Joker, lighter and faster than Piranha Plant, doesn't have a wall jump, doesn't have a rapid jab, and is (IIRC) floaty. Other than being floaty and sliding quite a bit, the character seems to match Ike.

I think this character is actually Sora - matches Ike because he wields his weapon with both hands, he is floaty, about as heavy as Megaman or Cloud or Link, and slides quite a bit.

Nothing to worry about though, since Sora is Disney and anything saying that him being in means that Geno can't are fanmade rules

Last edited by a moderator:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace

Oh yeah, I forgot Big Mom was in Super Mario Odyssey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom