• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoinedLuck

Smash Cadet
I probably wouldn't be able to get through Culex without Peach, or Smithy for that matter. Not in a million years.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In my head, it's not even that far-fetched to have a Western and Japanese favorite back to back because they literally already did it with Simon and Richter! Why would it be all that different here especially since we already know Geno and Mario RPG content was liscensed for this game?
Seems fair.

I mean, you would want to please the West and the East at the same time, right? What better way to do that than with characters from two distinct JRPG properties that one likes more than the other? That isn't related to Final Fantasy, because it's too much to ask for anything beyond Cloud, apparently.

Besides, let's consider that the Japanese must have felt annoyed about the Metroid additions, though probably not as much as the West is for FE characters at times. Gotta make up for those feelings.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Kind of had an ephiphany in the Square discussion. We were talking about Erdrick and how Jump Festa is basically the only public event anytime soon his announcement would be well received. From there, we discussed for any international presentation he'd need to be paired with a character that's more wanted and recognized by the West to go over well. Reggie has even recently noted that the trailer reactions are a huge deal for Nintendo and they pay close attention to them. Now, I proposed Erdrick being shown with Lloyd but then I was like, "why would they have two characters from competing third parties back to back in the same presentation" and then I was like:

What if they were from the same company? What if this wound up being the reason why NoA has had such a hard-on for Geno for the past 8 months and why even NoA supervisors are tossing the name around according to Polar Panda's source? What if Geno "Ridley'd" his way into Smash?

During this cycle, it hasn't been unusual to get incomplete information. About half of the newcomers so far have been total blindspots. Big announcements like K. Rool and Joker were kept totally incognito so Erdrick honestly isn't that much different from Simon or Ridley if he winds up being true. If Geno was in, he'd be pulling a K. Rool. Insiders couldn't even agree if DK was getting a rep or not so, kind of like now, the only thing people heard on him was whispers on the wind and most dismissed it. This all said, I'm going to pay close attention to Jump Festa later this week and, if Erdrick isn't announced there, we may be in for a wild ride later.
I mentioned this earlier in the Square thread, but I think saying Erdrick or DQ have to be at Jump Fiesta is more than a little bit faulty. First off, the Square rep may damn well be the last character we get through this season, so that wouldn't matter at all (There is just the expectation of the next rep being Square because this one wasn't and the more recent leak I put very little stock into). Secondly, there is basically no reason to assume Nintendo couldn't show one off in a regular Direct. If they made the call on Dragon Quest in Smash, I seriously doubt they expect anything less than great reception, and they could be perfectly content with the Japanese reception if they're making a more Japanese centered pick. I just don't see that as our do or die moment for, well, anything... Especially so soon after yet another character reveal...

I just don't see this whole two characters thing. They've got five slots to work with, which may well be all the DLC by the end of everything, the likelihood of them giving two spots to Square seems incredibly low and a dual reveal seems even lower to me. I'm still surprised they revealed Joker this early, but I would think Nintendo would space out their DLC releases better this time and drop the characters throughout the year. I know they didn't exactly follow that pattern with Smash 4, but I'm inclined to believe the deliberate nature of how they revealed the Fighters Pass indicates a more rhythmic delivery of their content.

Two Square Enix characters just feels like stretching to the absolute limits of speculation to me. I think it really does come down to Geno versus everyone else. I hope that Nintendo gives us another King K. Rool moment in realizing a major request, but he has some major competition going into this last push. Having him beat all the other contenders would be an amazing moment of the community achieving something even more impossible than bringing King K Rool back. My confidence may be slipping, but I will never deny how amazing of a moment that absolutely would be.

D

Deleted member

So I heard someone made a post about how Geno could be implemented into Mario Odyssey. That's really interesting! Where is it? I checked back through the last couple pages and couldn't find it.
Here it is: by Sovereign Trinity Sovereign Trinity

I was playing Super Mario Odyssey earlier today and I just thought of something...

What if there was a Geno costume to buy at a shop in Odyssey? I'd so get it. Also, what if the Geno doll was in Odyssey and we could actually possess the doll and use its attacks against enemies and a boss? That would be so awesome. If I were to pick an area where the Geno doll would be in, it'd probably be in the Wooded Kingdom or New Donk City. Geno is made out of wood and it's my favorite kingdom, I don't see why not; as for New Donk City, there's a tank there and using the Geno doll for obstacles and against enemies in New Donk City would be cool.

Such a missed opportunity, but I doubt Square would even allow it. A costume is still possible, however, Square would probably want actual money with that.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
You know, sitting and thinking about it, I think I realized what's really the most depressing thing to me about Geno not making it in.

The fact of the matter is that Nintendo of Japan chose the DLC. If it were entirely up to Sakurai... I dunno about y'all, but I think Geno would have been next in line. Look at Isabelle and K. Rool and Chrom. They got their upgrades to playable in the base game. Square prefers their stuff as DLC, so if Sakurai worked something out with them personally and without NoJ spearheading the DLC, we likely would have gotten him. He would have gotten his upgrade like the other three did.

Then, the one time, the one time it seems like we'll get Geno playable with Sakurai's choice, NoJ decides to take the reins instead. The one time where it seems like we're about to cross the finish line, NoJ swipes that away, curb-stomping my hopes and the hopes of so many others into oblivion.

Aren't ultra-corporate minds just so fun to work with?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, sitting and thinking about it, I think I realized what's really the most depressing thing to me about Geno not making it in.

The fact of the matter is that Nintendo of Japan chose the DLC. If it were entirely up to Sakurai... I dunno about y'all, but I think Geno would have been next in line. Look at Isabelle and K. Rool and Chrom. They got their upgrades to playable in the base game. Square prefers their stuff as DLC, so if Sakurai worked something out with them personally and without NoJ spearheading the DLC, we likely would have gotten him. He would have gotten his upgrade like the other three did.

Then, the one time, the one time it seems like we'll get Geno playable with Sakurai's choice, NoJ decides to take the reins instead. The one time where it seems like we're about to cross the finish line, NoJ swipes that away, curb-stomping my hopes and the hopes of so many others into oblivion.

Plot twist; under those circumstances, what if Sakurai picked no one from SE?

506388.jpg

D

Deleted member

In my next new game, I'm not gonna be using Toadstool at all since she's broken and makes the game pretty easy. You could try that if you haven't already.

OR you could take it to the next level and do an only Mallow and Bowser run xd
My last run when I only upgraded the specials bonus, I never used peach/toadstool, just went geno and mallow.

I’ve not attempted a mallow bowser run so maybe I’ll add that to it to make it more challenging..
I probably wouldn't be able to get through Culex without Peach, or Smithy for that matter. Not in a million years.
I should use Mallow and Geno as a team more. Maybe not level grind or obtain the super suit like I usually do, to make it more challenging. Super suit + attack scarf on Mario and lazy shell on Peach = broken. More broken than pre-patched Bayonetta in Smash 4

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
My whole thing is that I'm super doubtful that they're going bring on more than one genuinely new third party company for DLC. With Smash 4, it was one and that was Square Enix, with Ryu being from Capcom and Bayonetta being Platinum which is owned by SEGA. That said, it already limits things. I'm super doubtful of first/second party characters at this point because nothing can touch what Ridley, Inkling, and K. Rool were able to do for the base game. With Smash 4, the first party characters were returning cut characters and a reluctant shill, who had to practically be packaged will Bayonetta to not be a total downer. Moving on, SEGA, Capcom, and Konami all already have 3 characters and Namco's only realistic viable candidate is Lloyd/Yuri. Namco, Square Enix, mystery new company, and a freebie. It's not super solid but I could see them giving the freebie to Square just to even things up among the Japanese third parties.

D

Deleted member

My whole thing is that I'm super doubtful that they're going bring on more than one genuinely new third party company for DLC. With Smash 4, it was one and that was Square Enix, with Ryu being from Capcom and Bayonetta being Platinum which is owned by SEGA. That said, it already limits things. I'm super doubtful of first/second party characters at this point because nothing can touch what Ridley, Inkling, and K. Rool were able to do for the base game. With Smash 4, the first party characters were returning cut characters and a reluctant shill, who had to practically be packaged will Bayonetta to not be a total downer. Moving on, SEGA, Capcom, and Konami all already have 3 characters and Namco's only realistic viable candidate is Lloyd/Yuri. Namco, Square Enix, mystery new company, and a freebie. It's not super solid but I could see them giving the freebie to Square just to even things up among the Japanese third parties.
If music theory is legit, I think we will be getting Banjo-Kazooie, Lloyd Irving, Geno, and a Nintendo character, hopefully Ninten

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Kind of had an ephiphany in the Square discussion. We were talking about Erdrick and how Jump Festa is basically the only public event anytime soon his announcement would be well received. From there, we discussed for any international presentation he'd need to be paired with a character that's more wanted and recognized by the West to go over well. Reggie has even recently noted that the trailer reactions are a huge deal for Nintendo and they pay close attention to them. Now, I proposed Erdrick being shown with Lloyd but then I was like, "why would they have two characters from competing third parties back to back in the same presentation" and then I was like:

What if they were from the same company? What if this wound up being the reason why NoA has had such a hard-on for Geno for the past 8 months and why even NoA supervisors are tossing the name around according to Polar Panda's source? What if Geno "Ridley'd" his way into Smash?

During this cycle, it hasn't been unusual to get incomplete information. About half of the newcomers so far have been total blindspots. Big announcements like K. Rool and Joker were kept totally incognito so Erdrick honestly isn't that much different from Simon or Ridley if he winds up being true. If Geno was in, he'd be pulling a K. Rool. Insiders couldn't even agree if DK was getting a rep or not so, kind of like now, the only thing people heard on him was whispers on the wind and most dismissed it. This all said, I'm going to pay close attention to Jump Festa later this week and, if Erdrick isn't announced there, we may be in for a wild ride later.
If this happened, I still think Erdrick would be a boring choice, but I wouldn't care. Doesn't matter, got Geno.

link2702

Smash Champion
As embarrassing as it is to admit, in all my play throughs of smrpg, I’ve never been able to get the super suit... I’ve barely been able to get the attack scarf.

For whatever reason the timing for the super jumps have been frustratingly difficult for me.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Technically speaking, Atlus is a branch of Sega, so it's not entirely new either.

One thing for sure is, there will be more wild cards. It's entirely possible that none of the other existing third parties could be involved.

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I think it's not fair to assume there's no first party characters that can touch Ridley/K Rool/Inkling, when Bandana Dee exists and was more requested than Ridley and Inkling in the ballot.

ZelDan

Smash Master
As embarrassing as it is to admit, in all my play throughs of smrpg, I’ve never been able to get the super suit... I’ve barely been able to get the attack scarf.

For whatever reason the timing for the super jumps have been frustratingly difficult for me.
Same here. I can make it to a dozen or so jumps before I fail. I know at some point around there they change how the timing works to screw with you, and I've never figured out how to handle that timing...

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I think it's not fair to assume there's no first party characters that can touch Ridley/K Rool/Inkling, when Bandana Dee exists and was more requested than Ridley and Inkling in the ballot.
That isn't true. Bandana Dee sometimes beats them out in fan polls for Ultimate DLC in specific, but that doesn't mean he scored that high on the ballot. No one knows the results of the ballot at all.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
So basically, Square Enix be like:

In all seriousness, I'll be surprised if we don't get any first-party characters as DLC. I'm expecting at least one, probably Bandana Dee.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
That isn't true. Bandana Dee sometimes beats them out in fan polls for Ultimate DLC in specific, but that doesn't mean he scored that high on the ballot. No one knows the results of the ballot at all.
Using polls around the ballot-era as well as continued polls after that, it's reasonable to assume that Bandana Dee is at the very least in the top 5 most requested characters not already in. Especially in Japan, where he's pretty much confirmed #1.

D

Deleted member

Same here. I can make it to a dozen or so jumps before I fail. I know at some point around there they change how the timing works to screw with you, and I've never figured out how to handle that timing...
Well, I admit I cheated to get 100 jumps lol. I played Super Mario RPG on the WiiU virtual console, and you have the option of creating restore points. They save your game the exact moment you finished playing. I created one every five jumps, then loaded a restore point when I couldn't get 5 jumps in a row, then I beat 100 jumps

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Using polls around the ballot-era as well as continued polls after that, it's reasonable to assume that Bandana Dee is at the very least in the top 5 most requested characters not already in. Especially in Japan, where he's pretty much confirmed #1.
The old Melee poll had its results shown at some point, so I don't expect 4's ballot results to be shown until years down the line.

Though after the stunt pulled with Bayonetta, they probably will never show the results, that would just pour salt on an old wound.

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
The old Melee poll had its results shown at some point, so I don't expect 4's ballot results to be shown until years down the line.

Though after the stunt pulled with Bayonetta, they probably will never show the results, that would just pour salt on an old wound.
p o l l s. I'm not saying the actual ballot results. Polls taken asking "who did you vote for." These are obviously not 100% accurate, but they're definitely good enough to assume they're pretty close to the actual results. Polls tend to show King K Rool won, (which everyone expected probably) returning veterans took up the majority of the top results, and Isaac/Bandana Dee were close behind. Most polls also show Bayonetta as in the top 20, so they weren't TOTALLY pulling it out of their ass I suppose. She didn't actually win though lmao.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
p o l l s. I'm not saying the actual ballot results. Polls taken asking "who did you vote for." These are obviously not 100% accurate, but they're definitely good enough to assume they're pretty close to the actual results. Polls tend to show King K Rool won, (which everyone expected probably) returning veterans took up the majority of the top results, and Isaac/Bandana Dee were close behind. Most polls also show Bayonetta as in the top 20, so they weren't TOTALLY pulling it out of their *** I suppose. She didn't actually win though lmao.
No I mean that Melee/Brawl apparently had official polls conducted by Nintendo. They probably didn't even use "ballot" as a term over there.

Back then, Doraemon was the equivalent of Goku votes.

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Our first party character if it's an EB character is most likely gonna be Ninten since Joker sorta killed the Sylux, Porky, and Edlegard guarantees. Nintendo always prefers protags and as much as I'd love Claus or Giegue, they're basically dead in the water at this point and I don't see Nintendo promoting Mother 3 with a walking spoiler like Porky. It's technically Mother 1's anniversary first and foremost anyway. (That and if Sakurai would pick a Mother character, Ninten was at one time considered) But I dunno. This post is just gonna get me called biased anyway.

Going back to the music icon theory, Geno would still fall under Mario music for DLC correct? I know his spirit is labeled Mario, so technically he'd be considered First Party in the context of the game.

D

Deleted member

Our first party character if it's an EB character is most likely gonna be Ninten since Joker sorta killed the Sylux, Porky, and Edlegard guarantees. Nintendo always prefers protags and as much as I'd love Claus or Giegue, they're basically dead in the water at this point and I don't see Nintendo promoting Mother 3 with a walking spoiler like Porky. It's technically Mother 1's anniversary first and foremost anyway. (That and if Sakurai would pick a Mother character, Ninten was at one time considered) But I dunno. This post is just gonna get me called biased anyway.

Going back to the music icon theory, Geno would still fall under Mario music for DLC correct? I know his spirit is labeled Mario, so technically he'd be considered First Party in the context of the game.
Yeah, I think Geno would use the Mario icon. I heard it would actually be more difficult to use a new one for Geno, so Mario icon probably.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865

We're not sure. It might fall in the realm of "he's mario franchise, but legally we have to seperate them."

Also I agree on the mother rep thing, Ninten is really the only choice. It seems super weird to have Ness and Lucas, but not Ninten. If we got more than one, then I could see Giegue/Porky/Giygas/Whoever else, but otherwise it's almost certainly Ninten or bust.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
We're not sure. It might fall in the realm of "he's mario franchise, but legally we have to seperate them."
The fact that he's not separated in terms of his token and spirit means he very well will just be associated with the Mario franchise. I don't see how him being playable would change that, honestly.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
The fact that he's not separated in terms of his token and spirit means he very well will just be associated with the Mario franchise. I don't see how him being playable would change that, honestly.
Mario Kart music would like to have a word with you.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Mario Kart music would like to have a word with you.
What the heck, Mario Kart's music is listed separately? I guess I didn't look at My Music close enough, haha. My bad. That's really weird, though. I guess there might be enough reason for them to do that, then, huh?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
You keep saying that SEGA owns Platinum, that’s not true. SEGA does own Bayonetta, but Platinum is an independent company.

Your point still stands, but it’s not the first time I’ve seen you say that and I figured I should clarify.

HMpoweredMan

Smash Cadet
mon did fall under ballot requests. Kind of. Castlevania specifically. This might be part of why it got 2 characters, a stage boss, lots of music, etc. Highly requested and all.
If music theory is legit, I think we will be getting Banjo-Kazooie, Lloyd Irving, Geno, and a Nintendo character, hopefully Ninten
Can you explain music theory to me?

Xigger

Smash Lord

That's not entirely true: Nintendo made a list, and Sakurai chose from the list. It's about 50/50.

It's a lot to assume that any character was or wasn't on that list. If anything, you would think the characters would be some of the most popular character picks for 3 Smash games in a row.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
That would take quite a while, a few years of college classes an- oh you mean the smash speculation music theory?

TL;DR: There's slots for a few new franchises of music in the Ultimate data.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That would take quite a while, a few years of college classes an- oh you mean the smash speculation music theory?

That's news to me, the music theory has risen from the grave!

Anyway, this is certainly an interesting find. Has it been said how many?

Xigger

Smash Lord
And it's not one of the higher-levels of theories anyways, it just assumes that all of the franchises on the Music screen will be "filled out" after DLC. 5 squares per row, and right now there's 3 slots left to fill the last row. IMO not a very likely theory.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
And it's not one of the higher-levels of theories anyways, it just assumes that all of the franchises on the Music screen will be "filled out" after DLC. 5 squares per row, and right now there's 3 slots left to fill the last row. IMO not a very likely theory.
The way I heard it, it wasn't just filling the rectangle, it was actual slots in the data itself. Is that not the case?

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I've been thinking, if the Joker reveal has taught us anything, it's that speculation around leaks isn't really getting us anywhere. It will be a long time before Geno's reveal if he comes, so we shoooouuulllddd....change the topic perhaps?

I encourage that we all play SMRPG right now. Even those of you who haven't yet. Start a completely new game. Win against Bowser, and return to this thread after Exor crashes into Bowser's castle, and after you get your first chance to save. Describe your experiences. Share your opinions on the music. On the gameplay. Share your file name (the name Booster uses as his password to open the door leading to the balcony of Booster Tower).

We will do this one small segment of the game after another. We play until the next savepoint. We have fun. We take a break from speculation.

Now, what are you waiting for? Start a new game of Super Mario RPG
Omg I should do that before christmas , at least getting to the Geno encounter.

Maybe I'll try to do a "Heavy hitters" run , with Mario/Bowser/Geno , no healer lol , just the big boys. Bowser with Geno's boost do sooooo much damage , It's insane lol.

Thanks Nayru that Pick me up are so cheap that they could be considered free . 2 coins for a free 1-up? And people said SE were greedy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So, according to Gum-Gum Smash Gum-Gum Smash , once you unlock all the music in Ultimate, there are 3 empty slots. If this theory is legit, 3 of the DLC characters will be representing new franchises. We have Joker now, so that leaves 2 characters to rep new franchises. This also means that 2 of the DLC will be from franchises already in Ultimate.

My predictions are:
Lloyd Irving and Banjo-Kazooie for the new franchises
Geno (since he would most likely use the Mario icon) and a Nintendo character (hopefully Ninten from Mother 1, or could be Bandana Dee) for the franchises already in Ultimate

Omg I should do that before christmas , at least getting to the Geno encounter.

Maybe I'll try to do a "Heavy hitters" run , with Mario/Bowser/Geno , no healer lol , just the big boys. Bowser with Geno's boost do sooooo much damage , It's insane lol.

Thanks Nayru that Pick me up are so cheap that they could be considered free . 2 coins for a free 1-up? And people said SE were greedy.
Or you know what would be broken? Having the super suit and attack scarf on Mario with a Geno boost on Mario, a crystalline on the party, and Rock Candy.

Gosh I love SMRPG so much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom