• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
As I and other people have said before, the Square Enix copyright is probably a blanket copyright that covers Geno, so his rights wouldn't need to be separately stated like it was in Superstar Saga.

That being said, though, do we know who created Geno? That's a little odd that nothing from SMRPG's art department and staff is mentioned in the credits. I wouldn't think much of it, especially if this applies to Superstar Saga's credits, as well, but... still odd, indeed.
Geno's supposed creator is Miyamoto.

Weird how he was created by Nintendo but owned by Square, am I right?
Combine this with the fact that the “Geno rights” isn’t in the credits and I have yet to find anyone involved with SMRPG’s art department linked to Smash....HMMMMMMM
This would honestly be the best of both worlds. Erdrick and Geno would be in Smash anddddd yeah
Well, even if we got Geno, I actually still wouldn't be okay with Erdrick. Erdrick is a character no one is asking for, he's basically a marketing tool.
If it was fan service pick like Black Mage, Crono, Sephiroth, or 2B, then I'd be okay with the Square character.
These four are no doubt very popular Square characters globally, ESPECIALLY Sephiroth! All four aren't popular in only one area like Erdrick and Slime are. Plus, I absolutely hate the DQ composer. For reals, **** that guy. He denies Japan's WW2 crimes and absolutely hates the west.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'd be fine with Geno and Erdrick, if it means it can potentially lead to the DQ characters I actually want coming in the future.

That being said, I could see Geno getting in as an unambiguous Mario addition. I want those Geno's mom headcanons to actually become a trend, damn it.

Oh, and coming with a looping victory theme from SMRPG would be nice.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
That's the problem I have with Miis as well. To me, it's not like "you can play as ANYONE you want now!", it's more like "you can pretend to play as anyone you want now! That's cool, right??" Yeah, in the same way that working as a guy in a Chuck E. Cheese costume is cool. It's just like the real thing!
Well, I actually have fun with the Mii fighters. I made Sakurai into a Mii brawler! He's the best character in the game and not even the best bounty hunter Piranha Plant in the galaxy can stop him. I went into the story mode one time to fight Galeem with Sakurai and Galeem said, "My apologies, sir! You may pass!"

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Well, I actually have fun with the Mii fighters. I made Sakurai into a Mii brawler! He's the best character in the game and not even the best bounty hunter Piranha Plant in the galaxy can stop him. I went into the story mode one time to fight Galeem with Sakurai and Galeem said, "My apologies, sir! You may pass!"
Now that's what I call a fighter's pass.

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
I'd be okay with both Geno and Erdrick, it's not my ideal, but I would be more than willing to take Eddy (screw spelling out that name again, it's too confusing) if it meant getting Geno. Geno alone would get me to buy the pass.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I'd be okay with both Geno and Erdrick, it's not my ideal, but I would be more than willing to take Eddy (screw spelling out that name again, it's too confusing) if it meant getting Geno. Geno alone would get me to buy the pass.
Yeah, I'm with you. The only problem is that I don't think we could get two SE characters.

D

Deleted member

Screw Eddy and his name. Geno better come if Eddy comes. Crono would be much better. I didn't think Crono could be a unique addition to the roster, and Sora too, but Fatmanonice Fatmanonice explained in the Square Enix thread why they would be. Eddy doesn't really have it tho

Last edited by a moderator:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Screw Eddy all together, man. Geno better come if Eddy comes. Crono would be much better. I didn't think Crono could be a unique addition to the roster, and Sora too, but Fatmanonice Fatmanonice explained in the Square Enix thread why they would be. Eddy doesn't really have it tho
I love that we're just calling Erdrick "Eddy" now. Anyone who comes into this thread and sees us talking about an "Eddy" is gonna be so confused.

D

Deleted member

I've been thinking, if the Joker reveal has taught us anything, it's that speculation around leaks isn't really getting us anywhere. It will be a long time before Geno's reveal if he comes, so we shoooouuulllddd....change the topic perhaps?

I encourage that we all play SMRPG right now. Even those of you who haven't yet. Start a completely new game. Win against Bowser, and return to this thread after Exor crashes into Bowser's castle, and after you get your first chance to save. Describe your experiences. Share your opinions on the music. On the gameplay. Share your file name (the name Booster uses as his password to open the door leading to the balcony of Booster Tower).

We will do this one small segment of the game after another. We play until the next savepoint. We have fun. We take a break from speculation.

Now, what are you waiting for? Start a new game of Super Mario RPG

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
I've been thinking, if the Joker reveal has taught us anything, it's that speculation around leaks isn't really getting us anywhere. It will be a long time before Geno's reveal if he comes, so we shoooouuulllddd....change the topic perhaps?

I encourage that we all play SMRPG right now. Even those of you who haven't yet. Start a completely new game. Win against Bowser, and return to this thread after Exor crashes into Bowser's castle, and after you get your first chance to save. Describe your experiences. Share your opinions on the music. On the gameplay. Share your file name (the name Booster uses as his password to open the door leading to the balcony of Booster Tower).

We will do this one small segment of the game after another. We play until the next savepoint. We have fun. We take a break from speculation.

Woah, this actually sounds really cool, I really like this idea. I already started a new game a few days ago and I'm at Booster's Tower, but I'll start another new game for this.

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord

Should I play my original SNES cartridge again or the version on the SNES classic?

link2702

Smash Champion

I mean...I’ve been more or less trying to get folks to change the topic for awhile now after we all got duped by the legacy xp fake leak and the grinch. After verge mentioned how square handles leaks, I knew there wasn’t much point in trying to look for new leaks, and the points for and against geno have been repeated, over... And over... And over...For quite awhile now.

A daily fanart discussion, smrpg play throughs like you mentioned, music discussion, or just a bit of general discussions for awhile is probably better right now.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I agree with the general consensus going around. Discussing leaks and insider talk is getting us nowhere, and it really hasn't in months; we're just recycling the same tired discussions at this point. Someone oughta stimulate the thread by talking about pie or something.

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
here is something to talk about. i think we should really consider raising money to buy geno rights from square, if geno is still owned by them. Im tired of hoping square will cave and hey who know this campaign might be the push we need to get Geno to be seen even more.

dreamstar_g

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
7952 9587 6387
here is something to talk about. i think we should really consider raising money to buy geno rights from square, if geno is still owned by them. Im tired of hoping square will cave and hey who know this campaign might be the push we need to get Geno to be seen even more.
is that actually possible? Because that would be really cool.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace

I played it for a 5th time a couple months ago. And for a 16-bit game, the soundtrack was really ahead of its time; the soundtrack seemed like it was meant to be on the Nintendo 64. My favorite area in the game is Nimbus Land, my favorite boss is Exor, and my favorite character in the game is... well, you all know who! It's the toad that forgot his bazooka at home! Just kidding, it's ♡♪!?.

Also, I'm probably in the minority that does this, but I feel like I'm the only one that beats Exor without using Geno Whirl. I always do it with using Mario, Geno, and Mallow; they're the three I always use for my team. Oh yeah, and I beat Culex with Mario, Geno, and Bowser... oh boy, it was about as difficult as beating Halo 2's campaign on legendary.
Should I play my original SNES cartridge again or the version on the SNES classic?
If you've played and completed it on both consoles before, then you should play it on the original SNES to get the original feeling of playing it.
Now that's what I call a fighter's pass.

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week.

D

Deleted member

Whichever one you played it one first :)

I mean...I’ve been more or less trying to get folks to change the topic for awhile now after we all got duped by the legacy xp fake leak and the grinch. After verge mentioned how square handles leaks, I knew there wasn’t much point in trying to look for new leaks, and the points for and against geno have been repeated, over... And over... And over...For quite awhile now.

A daily fanart discussion, smrpg play throughs like you mentioned, music discussion, or just a bit of general discussions for awhile is probably better right now.
Exactly. This is going to be fun and relaxing. For me, speculation has made me crazed and stressed, but at the same time, I love this thread so much and I spend a lot of my free time on here, so we should do something like this, hopefully bring the other Geno supporters, including KCCHIEFS27 KCCHIEFS27 , Darkfur Darkfur , Wazygoose Wazygoose , and any other people I missed (sorry) back to the discussion who left because speculation was getting tiring.

I'm going to have a lot of fun with this :) Hopefully everyone else will as well

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Sorry to be negative on the whole Geno AND thing that's going around, but I don't see it. We know that Geno is owned by Square definitively at this point. If his name has specifically not been credited, I think that either indicates that maybe not all Spirits are mentioned by name or that they just don't care enough about Geno and Mallow Spirits to make a specific deal about them in the credits since Square has already been credited as in the game. We're not getting two Square characters, it's going to be Geno vs anyone else from Square.

I'll also push back on the idea I saw people mentioning of Erdrick being unprofitable to Square. If Nintendo were the ones to suggest Dragon Quest content (Which I think they have plenty of reason to do so), then I'm sure Square was unlikely to push back against Nintendo on that point. They're still getting something from all of this since Nintendo will handle all of the major aspects of marketing, amiibo figures, etc. Most importantly, however, I'm sure Square will always look for extra exposure for Dragon Quest, and shifting some additional copies of the most recent Dragon Quest related titles is probably an equally enticing notion of having a DQ character in Smash. Sure, Erdrick is less profitable on an individual basis, but there's a long term benefit to Square (And again, I can't stress how much we DON'T know the intricacies of DQ licensing).

If Nintendo picked Dragon Quest as something they wanted to realize in Smash (And again, I think there's a big argument here as to why they would do this despite the relative lack of fan requested content), then Sqaure has no real reason to turn that down. I think us focusing in on Square is probably the wrong call. Nintendo chose our characters this time, and our fate lives and dies on their choices... Unless Square asked for Dragon Quest inclusion and chose to handle their end of thing. And again, I don't see a reason for Nintendo to turn down that offer.

I still think our best shot lies with Sakurai having an affection for Geno though. I have my doubts that NoJ are aware enough to see the requests for Geno, they have a horrid track record for being out of touch, especially in comparison to NoA, and the recent Isaac findings from Polar support the idea that maybe fan requested characters are not making the headlines we might hope for. But Sakurai could be our saving grace in involving Nintendo in that discussion/making sure they're aware of Geno in the first place. If that's enough remains to be seen, and I do wonder if Sakurai sees the crossover potential of Smash as more important than fan requests at this point given the amount of base game fan service... but, I think that's really Geno's best shot. Sakurai and fan support is what he has going for him, but I feel less confident the more and more I think about it all.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Not really adding to discussion but this came up on my Google news feed:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Sora_Sakuraii/status/1074393900356395014

Had a mini-heart attack. Thanks for the reliable info, Google.
I was just about to share this. All the meme pics are gold. I didn't know the Smash characters with realistic hands and guns was a meme but it's clearly something that was missing from my life up to this point.

This Toad one had me almost wheezing with laughter at work:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So I heard someone made a post about how Geno could be implemented into Mario Odyssey. That's really interesting! Where is it? I checked back through the last couple pages and couldn't find it.

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
Sorry to be negative on the whole Geno AND thing that's going around, but I don't see it. We know that Geno is owned by Square definitively at this point. If his name has specifically not been credited, I think that either indicates that maybe not all Spirits are mentioned by name or that they just don't care enough about Geno and Mallow Spirits to make a specific deal about them in the credits since Square has already been credited as in the game
I agree with your overall conclusion (or at least the likelihood of it), but I wanted to clear one thing up about my version of the Geno AND idea. It wasn’t predicated on the belief that Geno wasn’t owned by SE. Rather, it’s because he doesn’t actually represent them in any real way. He’s a Mario character. That makes him a de facto first party. So the argument is that the negotiation mills never saw him as a “SE rep,” but that doesn’t preclude him from getting in alongside the SE rep.

I totally see how far this reaches. It’s more of a thought exercise than anything else, but I did want to clarify that wrinkle.

Last edited:

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I’ve only been dabbling in World of Light every little bit, but I’ve just been practicing with my new mains: :ultsimon::ultincineroar:. Simon for the long range attacks and Incineroar for being up close and personal, if Geno miraculously makes it in, he’ll be the next main I’ll practice with. :grin:

Also a good sign to see no trolls this morning in this thread, but how are you liking Ultimate so far, fellow Geno fans?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I’ve only been dabbling in World of Light every little bit, but I’ve just been practicing with my new mains: :ultsimon::ultincineroar:. Simon for the long range attacks and Incineroar for being up close and personal, if Geno miraculously makes it in, he’ll be the next main I’ll practice with. :grin:

Also a good sign to see no trolls this morning in this thread, but how are you liking Ultimate so far, fellow Geno fans?
Man, even if Geno doesn't make it, I absolutely love the base game of Ultimate. I guess I'm extra biased because my other most wanted, the Kremling King himself, made it in, but... it just plays so well, and I felt such a giddiness playing it that I hadn't felt since playing Melee as a young teen. It's incredible. Apart from the online being rather irritating, it's such a beautiful game. Sakurai really outdid himself.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Kind of had an ephiphany in the Square discussion. We were talking about Erdrick and how Jump Festa is basically the only public event anytime soon his announcement would be well received. From there, we discussed for any international presentation he'd need to be paired with a character that's more wanted and recognized by the West to go over well. Reggie has even recently noted that the trailer reactions are a huge deal for Nintendo and they pay close attention to them. Now, I proposed Erdrick being shown with Lloyd but then I was like, "why would they have two characters from competing third parties back to back in the same presentation" and then I was like:

What if they were from the same company? What if this wound up being the reason why NoA has had such a hard-on for Geno for the past 8 months and why even NoA supervisors are tossing the name around according to Polar Panda's source? What if Geno "Ridley'd" his way into Smash?

During this cycle, it hasn't been unusual to get incomplete information. About half of the newcomers so far have been total blindspots. Big announcements like K. Rool and Joker were kept totally incognito so Erdrick honestly isn't that much different from Simon or Ridley if he winds up being true. If Geno was in, he'd be pulling a K. Rool. Insiders couldn't even agree if DK was getting a rep or not so, kind of like now, the only thing people heard on him was whispers on the wind and most dismissed it. This all said, I'm going to pay close attention to Jump Festa later this week and, if Erdrick isn't announced there, we may be in for a wild ride later.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Man, even if Geno doesn't make it, I absolutely love the base game of Ultimate. I guess I'm extra biased because my other most wanted, the Kremling King himself, made it in, but... it just plays so well, and I felt such a giddiness playing it that I hadn't felt since playing Melee as a young teen. It's incredible. Apart from the online being rather irritating, it's such a beautiful game. Sakurai really outdid himself.
He sure did, the man and his team worked hard on this awesome game. :grin:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Kind of had an ephiphany in the Square discussion. We were talking about Erdrick and how Jump Festa is basically the only public event anytime soon his announcement would be well received. From there, we discussed for any international presentation he'd need to be paired with a character that's more wanted and recognized by the West to go over well. Reggie has even recently noted that the trailer reactions are a huge deal for Nintendo and they pay close attention to them. Now, I proposed Erdrick being shown with Lloyd but then I was like, "why would they have two characters from competing third parties back to back in the same presentation" and then I was like:

What if they were from the same company? What if this wound up being the reason why NoA has had such a hard-on for Geno for the past 8 months and why even NoA supervisors are tossing the name around according to Polar Panda's source? What if Geno "Ridley'd" his way into Smash?

During this cycle, it hasn't been unusual to get incomplete information. About half of the newcomers so far have been total blindspots. Big announcements like K. Rool and Joker were kept totally incognito so Erdrick honestly isn't that much different from Simon or Ridley if he winds up being true. If Geno was in, he'd be pulling a K. Rool. Insiders couldn't even agree if DK was getting a rep or not so, kind of like now, the only thing people heard on him was whispers on the wind and most dismissed it. This all said, I'm going to pay close attention to Jump Festa later this week and, if Erdrick isn't announced there, we may be in for a wild ride later.
So basically, they would be hiding one rep behind another, more expected rep?

Ovaltine

Smash Master

Man, even in all of my pessimism, if that were to happen, that would be so sick. The Erdrick fans would be happy, the Geno fans would be happy, we'd have iconic representation with a fan favorite... and it wouldn't be nearly as much of a massive letdown.

Honestly, I think we shouldn't give up hope, but definitely keep your expectations very low. My hopes remain, but err on the side of pessimism. After all, 'Ridleying' his way into Smash kind of comes with the idea of it being a perceived, very unlikely thing to happen. We can only wait and see.

Zubyyyy

Yung Zuby the Falco God

You know that if this were to happen, it'd be like a 20 minute presentation on Eddy, then at the VERY END, there's like a 2 second shot of a shadow or a tiny bit of music or SOMETHING that basically says 'This is probably gonna happen but we could still be tricking you'.

Man my emotions are high strung right now cause of this ****.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
In my head, it's not even that far-fetched to have a Western and Japanese favorite back to back because they literally already did it with Simon and Richter! Why would it be all that different here especially since we already know Geno and Mario RPG content was liscensed for this game?

link2702

Smash Champion
So anyone have any recommendations on what challenges I should tackle next in smrpg? The last one I did a few months ago had me only use the bonus on special att/def for everyone. actually made things pretty challenging since so many normal enemies moves hit like a truck, but all specials did like... 1 point of damage.

Years ago as a kid, when I really didn’t know much about RPGs, I more or less did a very low level run using toadstool and bowser, all my characters were below level 18 iirc(no one had their final special yet). I did it by hoarding rock candies, royal syrups and pick me ups, and basically bombing smithy with candies while using the princess to keep everyone alive.

Looking back I’m wondering if I should attempt this again? Except now knowing more about the games mechanics and armor, not just going rock candies, but also trying for the lowest level possible.

Another run I’ve thought about is a no armor run/peach starter armor run.

Any suggestions?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Man, even in all of my pessimism, if that were to happen, that would be so sick. The Erdrick fans would be happy, the Geno fans would be happy, we'd have iconic representation with a fan favorite... and it wouldn't be nearly as much of a massive letdown.

Honestly, I think we shouldn't give up hope, but definitely keep your expectations very low. My hopes remain, but err on the side of pessimism. After all, 'Ridleying' his way into Smash kind of comes with the idea of it being a perceived, very unlikely thing to happen. We can only wait and see.
It comes with the territory of being manic depressive. I'm like the Mr. Toad of Smash speculation.

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
So anyone have any recommendations on what challenges I should tackle next in smrpg? The last one I did a few months ago had me only use the bonus on special att/def for everyone. actually made things pretty challenging since so many normal enemies moves hit like a truck, but all specials did like... 1 point of damage.

Years ago as a kid, when I really didn’t know much about RPGs, I more or less did a very low level run using toadstool and bowser, all my characters were below level 18 iirc(no one had their final special yet). I did it by hoarding rock candies, royal syrups and pick me ups, and basically bombing smithy with candies while using the princess to keep everyone alive.

Looking back I’m wondering if I should attempt this again? Except now knowing more about the games mechanics and armor, not just going rock candies, but also trying for the lowest level possible.

Another run I’ve thought about is a no armor run/peach starter armor run.

Any suggestions?
In my next new game, I'm not gonna be using Toadstool at all since she's broken and makes the game pretty easy. You could try that if you haven't already.

OR you could take it to the next level and do an only Mallow and Bowser run xd

link2702

Smash Champion
In my next new game, I'm not gonna be using Toadstool at all since she's broken and makes the game pretty easy. You could try that if you haven't already.

OR you could take it to the next level and do an only Mallow and Bowser run xd
My last run when I only upgraded the specials bonus, I never used peach/toadstool, just went geno and mallow.

I’ve not attempted a mallow bowser run so maybe I’ll add that to it to make it more challenging..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom