• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The "Must-have" phrase from them is going into the trash instantly if Erdrick happens. This is gonna end up getting worser reception than Ryu or Corrin
How did Ryu have poor reception?

I didn’t think anyone could have worse reception than Corrin, but then we got Incineroar and Piranha Plant in one day so I don’t know any more. But personally I don’t think a lot of people outside this thread would be pissed at Erdrick.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
The "Must-have" phrase from them is going into the trash instantly if Erdrick happens. This is gonna end up getting worser reception than Ryu or Corrin
This brings up a curious point - which Square Enix character would truly be considered a must-have? I feel like within a Smash context this would point in Geno's favor if we know there are four more characters incoming and one of them is currently pending on something Square Enix-related (if indeed there is one based on various insiders). I feel like something too outlandish wouldn't validate a statement like that and would just show Nintendo to be less in-tune with what people are hoping for, but again for the bazillionth time it could go either way.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, Erdrick would be very anti-hype. I don't think Ryu was horribly received though. Sure, like Fatmanonice Fatmanonice said, he was pretty much bundled with Lucas and Roy because a lot of people wanted those 2 to return and there weren't many people who specifically wanted Ryu, even though he is a gaming icon

@Maxie you need to not lose hope. That's what makes us Geno fans. We don't lose hope

Last edited by a moderator:

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman

I didn’t think anyone could have worse reception than Corrin, but then we got Incineroar and Piranha Plant in one day so I don’t know any more. But personally I don’t think a lot of people outside this thread would be pissed at Erdrick.
I don't think people would be pissed at erdrick, but they would be pissed at "who is this dumb anime swordfighter, why are we getting more of this crap? what a waste of a slot!" Ultimately, it would harm DQ more than it would help it. Not that it can get any worse outside of japan, and as much as I enjoyed DQ 11 and 8, getting erdrick would make me write DQ off forever, as I am close to doing so already, as they REFUSE to give us the damn monsters games, which are the only really enjoyable games to ever come out of them, at least to me.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
I think people would be more so confused. Like had I not been a part of speculation culture and just seen an Erdrick announcement I’d just be kind of like:

“....Wait WHO?? Who’s THIS guy??”

“...He’s a Dragon Quest character? They put Dragon Quest in Smash?? Why??? Where’s Sora? Where’s Geno?”

“...okay I guess”

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Alright, so what I wanna say first is that I really DO agree with almost everything you say. Smash is amazing, the fact that Ultimate even exists the way it does is incredible and, as I said, its mere existence is enough to make me happy. I'm not at ALL trying to discredit the work Sakurai and his team put into making the game a real thing that actually exists in the modern world. Simply put, all I'm trying to do is as I originally said: call a spade a spade.

To me, it's quite clear that Nintendo wanted to make the most money they possibly could off of Smash Ultimate solely because of one distinct, irrefutable fact: They created an extremely content-packed Smash game in full HD on a console that sold far below their expectations. This was, of course, Smash 4.

I know that the game was also on the 3DS, but it's clear that a lot of extra development costs went towards making it for the Wii U. The game still ran at a steady 60fps despite being in full HD, something Nintendo struggled to transition to smoothly. A lot of heavy-hitting development costs were poured into this game, only to really go to waste compared to how well Melee and Brawl sold for their time periods. The fact that Nintendo is porting and reselling many Wii U games to the Switch for a full-priced $59.99 proves exactly how Nintendo really wasn't satisfied with the sales numbers of these games and wants to continue selling them.

I feel like Smash Ultimate is clearly facing a similar situation. Let me explain how.

Let's get into it by talking about the history of new content in past Smash sequels.

SSB64 - 12 fighters
SSBM - 26 fighters
SSBB - 38 fighters (including Pokemon trainer as 1)
SSB4 - 58 fighters (including Mii fighters and DLC)
SSBU - 75 fighters (including Mii fighters, Pokemon trainer as 1, and Piranha Plant)

Now, as you can see, there's a steady theme going on here: each Smash sequel has loads of new content. From 64 to Melee, we gained 14 additional fighters in addition to incredible new stages, mechanics, a timeless controller that is still considered the best peripheral to play Smash on, etc. From Melee to Brawl, we gained a few less fighters than before; only 12 additional ones, HOWEVER, these were all great additions. A lot of fat was trimmed such as Pichu and Dr Mario, and pretty much every newcomer felt like they really deserved their spot, with HUGE additions in Snake and Sonic. Plus, Subspace Emissary and online support right out of the box. And then, of course, a whopping TWENTY new fighters from Brawl to 4, in addition to the game running really well despite being in HD, something that Nintendo had a tough time transitioning to as a whole.

And then, 4 to Ultimate. We gained 17 new fighters; a lot were returning veterans, and as for how the game runs? The Switch hardware is very similar to the Wii U as a whole, essentially just serving as a much easier and understood chipset to develop for with more ram to play around with, which has lead to Smash Ultimate looking very similar to 4 on the Wii U as a whole.

I think a fair argument that can be made here is that this count includes paid DLC for 4, but doesn't for Ultimate, despite Ultimate having 5 paid DLC characters confirmed so far. And that's a fair argument, but it does play into the point I'm trying to make here; in order for Ultimate to feel like a true Smash sequel in terms of new content, it's required that you spend $84.98 on the game.

Now, it is fair to say that a lot more may have had to go into licensing and getting other companies on-board purely because there's a reason why a lot of these characters suddenly disappeared from past games. And while that may be true, it's something I'm not inclined to believe fully after the news came out that Square Enix and Cloud were almost the reason why Ultimate never happened. If I had to guess based off of the E3 showing alone who almost kept Ultimate from happening, I would without a doubt say Konami, considering how little they deal in console video games these days. However, the fact that not only Snake came back, but Simon AND Richter both got added in as brand new newcomers, has me believe that it couldn't have been all that hard working with other companies to bring every veteran back if Square Enix, a company 100% on-board with putting Cloud in not even 3 years prior, was the hardest company to deal with when it came to back-end licensing.

This is why I believe that there's a very good chance that Smash Ultimate is Nintendo wanting to make as much money as they possibly can off of the foundation they created with Smash 4, and why they likely cut development a bit shorter than they could have in order to attempt to make more money off of their product. The game looks very similar to Smash 4, plays quite a bit differently but still similarly enough to know that the game was most likely made in a modified version of the same game engine, has some brand new fighters but many are just remastered/slightly tweaked versions of pre-existing ones (which, if you've ever worked in design, engineering, or even game development (like I have), you'll know that creating a piece of work from scratch is about 10x as much work as graphically remastering an old but already developed piece of work), and as a whole doesn't feel like a WHOLE new game like every Smash sequel has in the past.

Let me sum it up with a comparison a lot of people will probably have no issues understanding: Smash 4 to Smash Ultimate reminds me a lot of Windows Vista to Windows 7. There were some small differences that a lot of people loved, but for the most part, both were EXTREMELY similar and the main reason why people loved the latter more than the former were simply because of the fact that the latter was on newer and better hardware. And because of that, because of the new hardware and because of a lot of the good, old things being incorporated into the new one, people fell in love with the new one.

I think this is fine. I think Nintendo wanting to make more money after 3-4 straight years of financial losses and wanting to give the HD games they worked really hard to develop on under-performing hardware a second chance is completely fine. I consider games like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Bayonetta 2, and DK Country Tropical Freeze better than most $60 AAA games like Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty, and have no problem spending $60 on them despite them already being out for years. And that's kind of how I feel about Smash Ultimate as well.

People would've been happy if Ultimate instead ended up being a port of Smash 4 with all the DLC included and nothing more than that. The fact that it ended up being Ultimate as it is is just a bonus to everyone, and I think that the game becoming just that is absolutely incredible. However, that doesn't automatically mean the game is perfect, and the best it could have possibly ever been. And I think that having that thought and explaining why I have that thought doesn't at ALL discredit Nintendo, Sakurai, or his team. I think what it does is make me a normal consumer, a non-fanboy, who wants to see these products get better. And that's not me saying that you're a fanboy either; you could be, I don't know if you are so I won't make any assumptions. But what I am saying is that I, personally, am not one and will speak my mind no matter how good a product ends up being. Even the best things in the world can be better, nothing is perfect but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing to strive for perfection and constantly try to make things better.

So yeah. What Nintendo is doing is fine, I have no issues with it. I pre-ordered Ultimate back in August, I've already pre-ordered the Fighters Pass, and I assume I'll pre-order any future DLC if there ends up being any as well. But that doesn't mean that there isn't a lot of signs surrounding the idea that maybe Nintendo did cut development for Ultimate a bit short for the sake of making a little more money. As I said, calling a spade a spade, not at all trying to discredit anyone's work.
This. Very well said, sir.

I hope Sakurai takes a long vacation after all his work, and I hope to not see a new Smash game until 6-10 years later, because we got so much already; Sakurai spoiled us! We got a new Smash game in such a short amount of time! I'm already appreciative of Sakurai and the team's hard work with bringing all the characters back, a lot of stages back, and the story mode. BUT, if I had the power to add/change some more content in Smash, here's what they'd be:

-We only got 6 unique newcomers, I think it would've been great with 8 unique newcomers to match the original starting roster's number from Smash 64. The final two newcomers I'd choose would be a Legend of Zelda character and Mother character.
-Add one more echo fighter: Shadow.
-Add 5 more new stages: The Gangplank Galleon, Alola Pokémon League, Steam Gardens (I know we have New Donk City Hall, but we can't forget everyone's favorite AND beautiful kingdom... I'd rather have this than New Donk City Hall, but still, this would make a great stage! Plus the Steam Gardens soundtrack is already in the game), Monster Hunter stage, and a remastered Pokéfloats stage (Haha, I'm serious! I love this one from Melee).
-Add a few more fan-favorite soundtracks; mostly existing soundtracks, maybe add a few more new remixes.
-Fix the Paper Mario stage, with having a portion of it that derives from Paper Mario 64 and Super Paper Mario... I found it unfair that Sticker Star got two portions of the stage, while Paper Mario TTYD only got one. I would add a Color Splash portion to it, too, since I'm fixing and adding stuff to it for representation. I'd fix this stage and make it shift to portions like this:
Goomba Village (PM64) -> Glitz Pit (TTYD) -> Sammer Kingdom (SPM) -> Warm Fuzzy Plains (SS) -> Black Bowser's Throne Room (CS) -> Restart cycle.
-Include every version of the alternative Lifelight soundtracks in the game... that even includes the E3/Demo Battlefield soundtrack, which I still have no clue why they never added it in the game because it's very exciting and lots of people loved it. In fact, they recently used it in one of their commercials.

Overall, I'm happy with that we got. I love the story mode, even if it's just constantly battling spirits. The boss fights in here are very creative and unexpected. I'm just happy my favorite Brawl stage made its return, and this was one of the stages I definitely thought wouldn't make it in Ultimate. Hanenbow is my favorite in Brawl because of its uniqueness! It doesn't have any newcomers, it represents one of the first DS games, the fish make the music, and it's so peaceful; even if it was hard to battle on, I still liked it! I also love the new remix it got in Ultimate! Sakurai must've heard my wish about wanting Hanenbow back! :)

Bendario

Smash Apprentice
Fix the Paper Mario stage, with having a portion of it that derives from Paper Mario 64 and Super Paper Mario... I found it unfair that Sticker Star got two portions of the stage, while Paper Mario TTYD only got one
The final part is Paper Mario 64's part. It even plays the music from the game in the medley.

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
well we know that the castlevania characters were chosen due to being high in the ballot...... so why no geno then sakurai?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So I heard Erdrick is supposedly leaked? People are taking leaks as if they're real again, yikes. I don't trust leaks anymore, especially after the grinch leak. How exactly is Erdrick looking likely? Because one credible guy said something about Erdrick? My whole YouTube feed is being spammed with "Erdrick leaked" videos. Gosh, if Square or Nintendo decided to go with Erdrick, they really got butt-****ed with the profits. If this is the case, they'll have to split his profits with Nintendo, Bandai Namco, Square, Armor Project, Heartbeat, and the other company. Wow, 1/6 of his profits go to each of them, that's a total screw over for them.
Which is why I think Square will possibly get a second DLC character. Erdrick is practically a net loss, especially when you throw in Amiibo because if big characters like Ryu and Pac-Man collected dust on store shelves, Erdrick Amiibos are going to be a collosal waste of money outside of Japan. Like I earlier, Square is going to be borderline half crazed to make any sort of meaningful profit with this game.

D

Deleted member

Nah, don't fall to the bargaining stage. We either get Geno, or squeenix can Fk off. Thats the hill I will die on.
It's not that. It's the whole spirit thing. There's so many people that say they deconfirm because of what Sakurai said in the direct but some say they don't because characters who are already fighters are equippable spirits but the people who say they do deconfirm say "oh those are just alternate versions of *insert character here* you can't fight them" and "fighter spirits aren't equippable" and I just don't know what to believe anymore.

Isn't Super Sonic a good example of them not deconfirming? It is a final smash after all and you technically fight him.

D

Deleted member

It's not that. It's the whole spirit thing. There's so many people that say they deconfirm because of what Sakurai said in the direct but some say they don't because characters who are already fighters are equippable spirits but the people who say they do deconfirm say "oh those are just alternate versions of *insert character here* you can't fight them" and "fighter spirits aren't equippable" and I just don't know what to believe anymore.

Isn't Super Sonic a good example of them not deconfirming? It is a final smash after all and you technically fight him.
Lol if Spirits are deconfirms then there are like 3 possible characters and they're all third party

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
well we know that the castlevania characters were chosen due to being high in the ballot...... so why no geno then sakurai?
Look at how Square-Enix treats Final Fantasy, its biggest series by far, in Smash Bros. Sure, it got into the game, but only with the barest minimum of music, trophies (in Smash 4), and spirits (in Smash Ultimate). They seem pretty stingy with this sort of thing. (It's either that, or they have licensing/legal issues that no other third party company has to deal with)

If there's anything keeping Geno out of Smash, I'd think it would be them.

OnyxArmos

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 6826 6195 4792
User was warned for this post; trolling
The ****? We don't want some dumbass doll from some game from 20 years ago that is completely sharted on by Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Bremy

Smash Apprentice
Is Nintendo publishing a dragon quest again? Because reggie said they haven't been denied a character they've wanted yet. If erdrick is meant to up the popularity of the series in the west, what would Nintendo gain in asking for him, outside of being popular in Japan of course.

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
Look at how Square-Enix treats Final Fantasy, its biggest series by far, in Smash Bros. Sure, it got into the game, but only with the barest minimum of music, trophies (in Smash 4), and spirits (in Smash Ultimate). They seem pretty stingy with this sort of thing. (It's either that, or they have licensing/legal issues that no other third party company has to deal with)

If there's anything keeping Geno out of Smash, I'd think it would be them.
In their defense, im pretty sure the lack of music is due to Uematsu taking an extended haitus from everything for a bit. I recall seeing that posted somewhere.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Not pissed, indifferent or simply annoyed because even a lot of die hard Nintendo fans have no clue who he is. Imagine Marth and Roy but with none of the fan demand and as paid DLC and that's basically what you get with Erdrick. A literal who anime swordsman is probably going to go over as well as the descriptor implies, especially if people STILL don't like Corrin despite being a dragon knight with a chainsaw sword.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

If Super Sonic isn't a good example, throw Pit (Original) in their direction; it's literally just Pit's artwork based on the first Kid Icarus, meaning it's the same dang character. I honestly doubt Sakurai and his Spirits Team gave a crap about who would be playable or who already was, they just wanted a bunch of characters with no questions asked.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
Don’t fall for the bait guys, it’s pretty obvious it’s a troll account.

Barely signed up, one of the first things they do is trash talk the geno boards.

Ignore, report, and move on.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
>It is not the grandfather of all RPG's

Make your research dude, you'll be surprised. it was made in 1986, three months after Zelda, before Castlevania, before Megaman, Before Metroid, Kid Icarus and a year before FF.

All of the things FF did, DQ did it first.
If DQ gets in, it's the oldest NES IP alongside Mario, Duck Hunt and Zelda
Chrono trigger existed the same years a SMRPG, what the hell you're on about?
Wouldn't Hylide be the grandfather of RPG's?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Not pissed, indifferent or simply annoyed because even a lot of die hard Nintendo fans have no clue who he is. Imagine Marth and Roy but with none of the fan demand and as paid DLC and that's basically what you get with Erdrick. A literal who anime swordsman is probably going to go over as well as the descriptor implies, especially if people STILL don't like Corrin despite being a dragon knight with a chainsaw sword.
Being pissed and being indifferent are two different things. And Corrin didn’t get hate because of his moveset, she got hate because people hate Corrin. People don’t care about movesets, they care about the character. That’s why you had Roy and Chrom get in due to fan demand and why Piranha Plant got all the backlash.

Wouldn't Hylide be the grandfather of RPG's?
Hydlide isn’t a turn based RPG, it’s more like the biological daddy of Zelda.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
K. Rool is the only newcomer that has been confirmed being chosen because of the Ballot. Sakurai said it himself and has said nothing on if any of the other newcomers were chosen from the Ballot as well. He said Ridley, Chrom, and Dark Samus were highly requested, but didn't actually reference or said anything about the Ballot when he brought them up.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
K. Rool is the only newcomer that has been confirmed being chosen because of the Ballot. Sakurai said it himself and has said nothing on if any of the other newcomers were chosen from the Ballot as well. He said Ridley, Chrom, and Dark Samus were highly requested, but didn't actually reference or said anything about the Ballot when he brought them up.
Vergeben actually mentioned the ballot as a reason for Simon according to his source; it's one of his older posts on Gamefaqs.

Of course, his source was probably wrong, and the ballot was probably a small reason unless you include Snake 'cause of Everyone is Here.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Vergeben actually mentioned the ballot as a reason for Simon according to his source; it's one of his older posts on Gamefaqs.

Of course, his source was probably wrong, and the ballot was probably a small reason unless you include Snake 'cause of Everyone is Here.
I'm not doubting at all that the returning veterans and the rest of Ultimate's newcomers were chosen from the Ballot, but I was just saying K. Rool is the only character that has been confirmed by Sakurai himself to have been chosen from the Ballot.

Xigger

Smash Lord
If Super Sonic isn't a good example, throw Pit (Original) in their direction; it's literally just Pit's artwork based on the first Kid Icarus, meaning it's the same dang character. I honestly doubt Sakurai and his Spirits Team gave a crap about who would be playable or who already was, they just wanted a bunch of characters with no questions asked.
Sans here has the right idea. Fighters with pre-existing spirits would just be called FIGHTER (Original).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Do not respond to clear trolling. Just report it. You're not helping. You're making it worse. We can handle it from here, including removing their posts if necessary.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Guys, it’s best to just tap the ignore button to ignore the trolls or report them, time shouldn’t be wasted dealing with ignorance.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Ignore the trolls. Exactly.

That being said... if we need to bring Geno in with a level of importance equivalent to a pig...

P—...

Piggy?!?

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
https://twitter.com/AllSourceGaming/status/1074583859440676864 Actually, Simon did fall under ballot requests. Kind of. Castlevania specifically. This might be part of why it got 2 characters, a stage boss, lots of music, etc. Highly requested and all.
Someone needs to corner Sakurai and demand an answer for Geno. Mr. Sakurai why no geno?
Sakurai:..........................
Interviewer: well????????
Sakurai:................Square..
Interview: I KNEW IT SQUARE IS BEIN STINGY ARENT THEY?
Sakurai:...................

LOL

D

Deleted member

Lol if Spirits are deconfirms then there are like 3 possible characters and they're all third party
Where is that Pit spirit again? I forgot.

D

Deleted member

Someone needs to corner Sakurai and demand an answer for Geno. Mr. Sakurai why no geno?
Sakurai:..........................
Interviewer: well????????
Sakurai:................Square..
Interview: I KNEW IT SQUARE IS BEIN STINGY ARENT THEY?
Sakurai:...................

LOL
I mean it's pretty easy to intuit that a company that won't even let its biggest franchise have a jpg or two is being even more stingy with allowing a much smaller character to be in. We don't really need Sakurai's comment to figure that out lol

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Where is that Pit spirit again? I forgot.
I don't think I have it, so I'm not really sure.

I just remember someone mentioning it here, and that it can be equipped. I know it was also in the list of datamined Spirits; it should be in the recent GameXplain video featuring all Spirits. edit: yeah, it is, and it's an Ace rank so yeah it can be equipped.

On a related note, I regret discussing Spirit Theory in the Youtube comment section. Someone is actually saying that the original Pit is much different from modern Pit (as if gameplay and art difference matters here), and that Super Sonic isn't the same as Sonic because it's an alternate form, throwing canon completely out the window, so he may as well admit Geno and other characters could be playable too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I mean it's pretty easy to intuit that a company that won't even let its biggest franchise have a jpg or two is being even more stingy with allowing a much smaller character to be in. We don't really need Sakurai's comment to figure that out lol
Well, Geno meaning less to SE could mean that they just let Sakurai and Nintendo have him. SE might be stingy with its huge franchises and how they are represented, but they aren't going to be very strict with how Geno is represented. SE being stingy could, like Ovaltine Ovaltine said, be a blessing or a curse, more likely the former imo

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
... I Hope Ultimate's DLC cycle will be more varied than Sm4sh ... If we get Joker , Lloyd , Erdrick and Edelgard , it will be disapointing for me.
I Hope they really avoid the "anime human" route this time... I think they heard that for Ultimate (we only got Chrom , and he was requested) , but I can't help but to feel afraid of Ultimate's DLC...

As soon as Iv'e seen the announcement for DLC , it was disapointing for me in a way.
It's more content , but It's very expensive content given what we got , compared to Ultimate as a whole.

I know his chances are kind of weird , but maybe Nintendo could make a miracle and pick Geno? And manage to convince Square? Or just buy Geno's rights , because outside of SMRPG's VC re-release , Square get no money at all from Geno? And that it could be a fresh new start for Mario RPGs?
I want to imagine a world where a "Rosalina & Geno" game exist.

I'm not giving up on Geno , I don't see the point in doing so for me , but I can't help but to find Ultimate slightly disapointing. SLIGHTLY. But for me , it won't go further than online quickplay/tourney , so I hope that the gameplay is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom