• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I will take Porky in the ASC to my grave. He's totally in there in my mind because that's just too funny not to be, even if that was never the original intent.

Ahem... that being said, though, if we get more spirits like the return of Porky and the additions of Sylux and Adeleine, it'd definitely be either as promotional spirits like Partner Pikachu / Eevee or it would be in a patch. Porky wouldn't get that because RIP Mother 3 localization hopes, but Sylux spirit for Metroid Prime 4 would make sense. Not really banking on Adeleine, though.
At any rate, we'll see what happens. At the very least there ought to be a Paint Roller spirit in here, I know everyone forgets him, but still.

Also, would they add any SMRPG spirits as well?

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I just spent like 80 board refreshes and didn't see the ASC a single time. I feel like he must be a summon-only spirit, but I don't see him in my summon list. Where the hell is this guy?

D

Deleted member

I just spent like 80 board refreshes and didn't see the ASC a single time. I feel like he must be a summon-only spirit, but I don't see him in my summon list. Where the hell is this guy?
Did you beat World of Dark? I found a good bit of EB spirits there. Haven't found the big piggy yet tho lmao

Last edited by a moderator:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Did you beat World of Dark? I found a good bit of EB spirits there. Haven't found the big piggy yet tho lmao
Yeah, I 100% completed the whole adventure mode. It says 100% on my save file, at least.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I 100% completed the whole adventure mode. It says 100% on my save file, at least.
Huh, that is really weird....maybe he is a spirit you missed? I remember there is this one area in WoL that has a barrier, and it blocks you from 1 spirit battle and 1 fighter battle. I have beaten WoL now and I am playing WoD, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get rid of that barrier. Maybe he is that spirit.

I imagine ASC being equipped to a giant Olimar lol

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Ikr? It's like the equivalent of a big slap in the face to his fans that have been waiting forever.
But this time it's a huge middle finger to our face. It's like waiting in line for your product you want really bad, and someone cuts in front of you and they end up getting the last product, while you get nothing and have to wait another day.
Pauline and Jeff were both outright awful, but the worst one is 18 Volt and 9 volt. That level is outright evil.
Absolutely had a hell-ful time with Victini, Funky Kong, and the 18-Volt & 9-Volt spirits.
Ironically, I've had more trouble with aces instead of legend spirits.

Beyond this, does Fire Emblem really NEED more content? Is there really that much they can do with the series in Smash at this given time? It has 4 totally unique characters, 2 echoes (1 is all new), a semi clone, 3 stages, 3 assist trophies (2 are brand new), an item (brand new), 40 spirits, and 37 music tracks (with 10 brand new remixes). That's incredibly generous by all accounts especially when it's not even one of Nintendo's S tier series. Keep in mind that the DLC packs are a character, a stage, and more music.
It is very generous that the DLC comes with a new stage and music tracks! I can't wait! Oh, I don't remember if it was you that mentioned this, Fatmanonice, but I absolutely agree that Smash Ultimate should've had just a bit more content for the base game. I'm very surprised that we only got 4 (technically 7) new stages; I count the Battlefields and Final Destination as new since they have new designs, but I definitely agree that we should've gotten some more stages and two more newcomers (one being a Legend of Zelda character and the other being a Mother character). I'm happy about having 103 stages, but 96 of the 103 of those are just returning stages... we should've at least gotten about ten new stages (counting the Battlefields and Final Destination).

1. For King K. Rool's inclusion, one stage that could've been for him was the Gangplank Galleon ship. I mean, we got a new remix of Gangplank Galleon, so why not a stage of the Gangplank Galleon? Not to mention that Crocodile Cacophony and Snakey Chantey also got remixes for King K. Rool's inclusion, and still no sign of a new Donkey Kong stage for K. Rool. I understand that we already have two stages with ships (Pirate Ship and the small portion of the Paper Mario stage), but the Gangplank Galleon is bigger than those two and would make a good stage for an 8-player battle.

2. I thought the Alola Pokémon League would've been a good stage for Incineroar, but I'm surprised that didn't come to mind for Sakurai... it actually would've been a perfect stage layout, too. It's weird how we only have 6 newcomers, I mean, it's even less than Smash 64's newcomer count. I respect that Sakurai kept his word about not having too many newcomers... but hey, I'm just happy they're all fan service characters. I think the unique newcomers should've came with a new stage. I find it unfair that four of the six newcomers didn't receive a representing stage.

Inkling - Moray Towers
Ridley - (Didn't come with a stage)
Simon Belmont - Dracula's Castle
King K. Rool - (Didn't come with a stage)
Isabelle - (Didn't come with a stage)
Incineroar - (Didn't come with a stage)

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Huh, that is really weird....maybe he is a spirit you missed? I remember there is this one area in WoL that has a barrier, and it blocks you from 1 spirit battle and 1 fighter battle. I have beaten WoL now and I am playing WoD, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get rid of that barrier. Maybe he is that spirit.

I imagine ASC being equipped to a giant Olimar lol
No, I did every single spirit battle. After I beat the final boss, my completion was only at like 89% I think. I went back and found any spirits I missed (which was annoying)

D

Deleted member

No, I did every single spirit battle. After I beat the final boss, my completion was only at like 89% I think. I went back and found any spirits I missed (which was annoying)
...that is really weird...maybe he is a summon only spirit. I wanted to see him being equipped to a giant Olimar

D

Deleted member

It is very generous that the DLC comes with a new stage and music tracks! I can't wait! Oh, I don't remember if it was you that mentioned this, Fatmanonice, but I absolutely agree that Smash Ultimate should've had just a bit more content for the base game. I'm very surprised that we only got 4 (technically 7) new stages; I count the Battlefields and Final Destination as new since they have new designs, but I definitely agree that we should've gotten some more stages and two more newcomers (one being a Legend of Zelda character and the other being a Mother character). I'm happy about having 103 stages, but 96 of the 103 of those are just returning stages... we should've at least gotten about ten new stages (counting the Battlefields and Final Destination).

1. For King K. Rool's inclusion, one stage that could've been for him was the Gangplank Galleon ship. I mean, we got a new remix of Gangplank Galleon, so why not a stage of the Gangplank Galleon? Not to mention that Crocodile Cacophony and Snakey Chantey also got remixes for King K. Rool's inclusion, and still no sign of a new Donkey Kong stage for K. Rool. I understand that we already have two stages with ships (Pirate Ship and the small portion of the Paper Mario stage), but the Gangplank Galleon is bigger than those two and would make a good stage for an 8-player battle.

2. I thought the Alola Pokémon League would've been a good stage for Incineroar, but I'm surprised that didn't come to mind for Sakurai... it actually would've been a perfect stage layout, too. It's weird how we only have 6 newcomers, I mean, it's even less than Smash 64's newcomer count. I respect that Sakurai kept his word about not having too many newcomers... but hey, I'm just happy they're all fan service characters. I think the unique newcomers should've came with a new stage. I find it unfair that four of the six newcomers didn't receive a representing stage.

Inkling - Moray Towers
Ridley - (Didn't come with a stage)
Simon Belmont - Dracula's Castle
King K. Rool - (Didn't come with a stage)
Isabelle - (Didn't come with a stage)
Incineroar - (Didn't come with a stage)
I've actually been saying this to a lot of my friends for a while, and I've gotten a bit of slack for it but I'll say it here: I really think the development for Ultimate was cut short just for the sake of Nintendo wanting to sell us an $85 game. Like, think about it: with the Grinch leak, we were expecting to see Ken, Chorus Kids, Banjo, Geno, Mach Rider, Isaac, and Shadow. 7 newcomers (sure, two echos, but I digress) that we EXPECTED to see in the November direct, and we only got 2 (not including the plant). And after the leak, everyone considered the potential roster to be amazing, but also very fitting for the general theme of the "ultimate" Smash Bros game; a LOT of new stuff.

We expected 7, and got 2, and an announcement that 5 would be sold to us throughout the year. I really do think that there was either WAY too much focus and expected hype behind bringing back every legacy fighter, or Nintendo just really wanted to sell the game for more than $60. Like, don't get me wrong, I'm still absolutely ecstatic for the game we got, I think the roster is amazing the way it is and the mere existence of the game is enough to make me very happy. But still, I'll openly call a spade a spade and admit that I do truly believe that Nintendo really wanted to get the most money out of each buyer that they possibly could.

With that said, I do think this trickled to other aspects of development as well. The game does objectively have more content in it than any other Smash game ever released, but completely abandons the idea Smash Run or Smash Tour, disregards trophies and exchanges them with JPEGs, thinks preferred rules that only work maybe 10% of the time are a valid replacement for For Glory despite easily being able to implement both methods, things like that. And this surely affected the ability to add in more stages. I am honestly pretty irked that the battle theme for Sun/Moon was thrown into Incineroar's reveal, but not a new stage. You're right, Alola Pokemon League would've been a perfect stage. Damn shame, really.

a random user

Smash Journeyman
he is a summon, but you need a mr. Saturn to get him, it's a bit odd using a summon to get a summon

a random user

Smash Journeyman
If there are some "summon only spirits" does that make it impossible to have all the spirits?
you can get multiple, the spirit board seems to prioritise ones you are missing, some are shop only, but the most annoying are ones that you need to use in order to summon and are only in world of light meaning you have to beat it twice if you want 100%
edit: I forgot some can only be obtained through challenges

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
he is a summon, but you need a mr. Saturn to get him, it's a bit odd using a summon to get a summon
You're right, I just got the ASC. I guess it doesn't really say anything else about it being porky, since it was just Mr. Saturn and 5 defense spirits. It still almost certainly is, though. Why else would it be an online profile picture?

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I've actually been saying this to a lot of my friends for a while, and I've gotten a bit of slack for it but I'll say it here: I really think the development for Ultimate was cut short just for the sake of Nintendo wanting to sell us an $85 game. Like, think about it: with the Grinch leak, we were expecting to see Ken, Chorus Kids, Banjo, Geno, Mach Rider, Isaac, and Shadow. 7 newcomers (sure, two echos, but I digress) that we EXPECTED to see in the November direct, and we only got 2 (not including the plant). And after the leak, everyone considered the potential roster to be amazing, but also very fitting for the general theme of the "ultimate" Smash Bros game; a LOT of new stuff.

We expected 7, and got 2, and an announcement that 5 would be sold to us throughout the year. I really do think that there was either WAY too much focus and expected hype behind bringing back every legacy fighter, or Nintendo just really wanted to sell the game for more than $60. Like, don't get me wrong, I'm still absolutely ecstatic for the game we got, I think the roster is amazing the way it is and the mere existence of the game is enough to make me very happy. But still, I'll openly call a spade a spade and admit that I do truly believe that Nintendo really wanted to get the most money out of each buyer that they possibly could.

With that said, I do think this trickled to other aspects of development as well. The game does objectively have more content in it than any other Smash game ever released, but completely abandons the idea Smash Run or Smash Tour, disregards trophies and exchanges them with JPEGs, thinks preferred rules that only work maybe 10% of the time are a valid replacement for For Glory despite easily being able to implement both methods, things like that. And this surely affected the ability to add in more stages. I am honestly pretty irked that the battle theme for Sun/Moon was thrown into Incineroar's reveal, but not a new stage. You're right, Alola Pokemon League would've been a perfect stage. Damn shame, really.
Knowing that the game has updates, we could see a Smash Run, Smash Tour, Home-Run Contest, or a Break the Targets update for them to add in the game. Think about this: I know this is Microsoft, but the Master Chief Collection includes four Halo games that run at 60fps, and guess how much that was when it came out? $60. I doubt Nintendo would be evil enough to raise Ultimate's price up to $85... Even the Master Chief Collection has more than Smash Ultimate and costed the same amount when it came out, so I don't see it with Nintendo.

And it is a damn shame. I would've loved to fight with the glass and landscape in the background. You could be right that the development was cut short, and don't forget, Smash Ultimate's development was fast-paced because Sakurai started it right when the final Smash 4 presentation happened.
But seriously, look at this. Like Smashville, it would be awesome if our time of the day affected the Alola Pokémon League's stage's time of the day as well; fighting on this stage at day or night would be awesome. The image had a bad angle, but the champion's chair is supposed to be in the background.

D

Deleted member

Something funny, in his old art, Geno looks kind of pissed lol. In his spirit art, he looks like he is smirking. I really like the change in art, even if it is just a small one

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Ninten has a spirit battle correct? I wonder why he's such a difficult one to get if that's the case. I talk about Ninten on this thread too much I'm sorry.

Something funny, in his old art, Geno looks kind of pissed lol. In his spirit art, he looks like he is smirking. I really like the change in art, even if it is just a small one
I always noticed that too. Prefer his cocky in game sprite to his old artwork render any day.

Game Theory: Why is Geno so PISSED?! Possible Tax fraud?!
Inb4 he makes a Geno based Game Theory where he claims to be a huuuuuuuge Geno fan then proceeds to **** everything up.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean, it could be more cruel. Rex is a spirit, a Mii costume, and one of Shulk's ALTs and basically was disconfirmed by Sakurai himself in a Direct and Heihachi was reduced to one of Pac-Man's taunts so...
In regards to that last one, there wasn't much they could do about it, since his voice actor died. So I'll gladly accept Heihachi's spiritual substitute. :ultincineroar:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Random question: How would you all feel if Boshi got in, but Geno didn't.
Easy: I wouldn't have a problem, because he'd surely just be an echo or alt. costume of Yoshi's. If anything, that'd actually help Geno's chances as separate character DLC.

Finger guns.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Easy: I wouldn't have a problem, because he'd surely just be an echo or alt. costume of Yoshi's. If anything, that'd actually help Geno's chances as separate character DLC.

Finger guns.
I want Boshi as an echo fighter of Yoshi so bad. It's not even ironic at all, I legitimately love Boshi.

Also they removed Yoshi's black alt so it's only fair he gets an echo fighter to bring that color back. Black Boshi with red sunglasses would be badass.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I've never played or owned a Tales game so I'd be completely down with a remaster.
The characters are really likable and I think that's why the game has the endurance that it does. (I will totally admit that I hardcore crushed on Raine when I was a teen.) The game face plants into pretty much every anime trope you could possibly imagine but the gameplay is a lot of fun and the side quests do a great job at world building and character development. It's probably the only RPG aside from SMRPG that I've ever bothered to 100%.

link2702

Smash Champion
I’d be angry if boshi got in but not geno.

Also confused. I mean, why? Everyone is expecting/many wanting geno, who’s an important character storyline wise, but instead we get a “side quest” character that isn’t significant to smrpg in any way .

NOW HOWEVER, *IF* we got both, id be perfectly fine with it. 2 smrpg characters, one basically being a bonus one similar to say piranha Plant, would be fine for me

So, if we get geno and boshi, I’m fine.
But if we only got boshi I’d be very upset, as well as just confused.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I’d be angry if boshi got in but not geno.

Also confused. I mean, why? Everyone is expecting/many wanting geno, who’s an important character storyline wise, but instead we get a “side quest” character that isn’t significant to smrpg in any way .

NOW HOWEVER, *IF* we got both, id be perfectly fine with it. 2 smrpg characters, one basically being a bonus one similar to say piranha Plant, would be fine for me

So, if we get geno and boshi, I’m fine.
But if we only got boshi I’d be very upset, as well as just confused.
Okay but consider....

Boshi

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I would just be confused. He counts as a Square Enix character, right? Or is he owned by Nintendo?

If he is a Square Enix character, I would accept him as the SE rep if neither Geno nor Mallow can make it lmao

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
It would be weird lol. I hope he will be a faster Yoshi at least , like Ken is to Ryu.

And well , obligatory "Yoshi has top tier potential this time , trust me" , but seeing Boshi at high level of play would be hilarious.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

Knowing that the game has updates, we could see a Smash Run, Smash Tour, Home-Run Contest, or a Break the Targets update for them to add in the game. Think about this: I know this is Microsoft, but the Master Chief Collection includes four Halo games that run at 60fps, and guess how much that was when it came out? $60. I doubt Nintendo would be evil enough to raise Ultimate's price up to $85... Even the Master Chief Collection has more than Smash Ultimate and costed the same amount when it came out, so I don't see it with Nintendo.

And it is a damn shame. I would've loved to fight with the glass and landscape in the background. You could be right that the development was cut short, and don't forget, Smash Ultimate's development was fast-paced because Sakurai started it right when the final Smash 4 presentation happened.
But seriously, look at this. Like Smashville, it would be awesome if our time of the day affected the Alola Pokémon League's stage's time of the day as well; fighting on this stage at day or night would be awesome. The image had a bad angle, but the champion's chair is supposed to be in the background.

The idea that Nintendo specifically priced the game around an increased price model is absolute bull****. Smash is a goddamn miracle in the modern day of fighters. If they wanted to really get the money out of us, we wouldn't have a 1/4th of the content we got. We would have had 20 characters, 10 stages and 4-5 seasons of content.

We got all returning fighters (Which was supposed to be the big moment) with tons of tweaks, a game engine that plays like Melee, almost every stage in series history in the game, and an extensively designed Spirits and World of Light alongside individual Classic modes and other content. Plus the new fighters and stages. Now I know maybe not as many as people wanted new wise and that Spirits may not be everyone's cup of tea, but those are issues with the game direction, not an attempt to nickel and dime us.

The development time was pretty much equal to Brawl and Smash 4 as well, and you were working with significantly fewer characters back then. The whole EXPECT seven characters was always a self-made fan belief. Sakurai plainly told everyone what to expect and made a huge point about the content that was there. Everyone who expected that much more with such a limited time for reveals had created that narrative for themselves...

If anything, the only rush for the game would have been the December 2018 deadline to have a big release for the year given the relatively calmer period of releases for the overall year. They MAY have run out of time there, but why bother when objectively it's going to be better to the DLC model when they've provided so much content. Nintendo has made a clear commitment to DLC practices recently and supporting games afterward. I think a lot of people seriously underestimate how much work all of the returning content was. I may not be super thrilled about the absolute focus on Spirits and less new content, but those were clear design decisions with regards to priority.

Plus, Ultimate has added 18 characters from Smash Wii U, which is the equivalent to how many characters where added in Brawl and Smash 4 WITH cuts still happening...

Sorry, I take a big issue with how people suggest the game was intentionally designed from a certain mindset business wise, was lazy, or any thing of the sort. You're doing a massive deisservice to Sakurai and all the work he put in. You don't have to agree wit his decisions, but I think it's pretty clear he made the expansive game he wanted to and that was that.

KidCham

Smash Apprentice
Joker

The stage is Mementos

Jack Frost appears on screen with a skill

Marketing of P5R (complete version) and P5U (fighting game)

P5R is 2019

P5U is delayed because Arc is busy with the development of a Granblue fighting game

Erdrick

Stage is Alefgard

Erdrick (Male) and Erdrick (Female), 2 colors each of Anlucia and the Dragon Quest XI Hero

Slime appears on screen with a skill

Achieved through active collaboration on Square’s side

To the benefit of overseas marketing for the DQ series

From 2chan, it's buzzing right now because it predicted right the grandblue fighting game revealed today

D

Deleted member

From 2chan, it's buzzing right now because it predicted right the grandblue fighting game revealed today
Like how Hitagi predicted the Samurai Showdown game correctly and is totally a reliable source for Smash info

Ovaltine

Smash Master
As I've quoted in the Square Enix thread:

Vergeben and Hitagi were already spreading that rumor long before the random 2chan post and, according to PolarPanda's reputable source, nobody knows the DLC at all, let alone to such an extent. I wouldn't put any stock in that.
It's likely misinformation. Don't worry too much about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom