• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
So you know how every leaker and their dog was saying the Square rep was going to be the first DLC reveal?

What if the reason Joker was shown off at TGA in lieu of the Square pick is because Persona 5 is more modern and mainstream than Geno or Dragon Quest, and thus a more fitting reveal for TGA? Like the Square rep is still there, and let's say it's Geno, but Nintendo decided that Joker would make more of a splash.
It could be that the Square rep is the very next one. The Joker reveal reminds me of how no one saw K. Rool coming. Everyone might've assumed that Square was first not knowing that it was actually Joker. It could also be that Nintendo stepped up their game after so much of the base roster leaked, especially considering that the team is focused almost entirely on balance and the fighter pass.

This has probably been talked about, but I'm not scrolling back 50 pages to find out. But how do you guys think Joker affects Geno's chances? I think it's good for Geno because it proves Sakurai bias is still a thing. Also wow, lots of Ninten talk. Seriously, this is the Geno thread. Please take it elsewhere.
I'm neutral on it, but I'm still optimistic for sure.

On the one hand, the surprise of Joker's reveal opens the door for a lot of characters and franchises that weren't the most common considerations. Bethesda, Microsoft, Undertale, or further selections from current 3rd party collaborators could all be in play--not to mention characters from Nintendo's vast library that could still surprise us. The other concern I have is that the focus may be more on contemporary characters. Retro characters may need to derive from franchises that are still going strong. Even if Joker is a fan pick, Persona is a very well respected franchise throughout gaming. Geno could rep Mario & Luigi for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised by Sora or Lara Croft even though they're not being taken seriously on the list of seven names.

On the other hand, the criteria for DLC has shifted somewhat. Joker and Piranha Plant defying our expectations is a good thing because it shows that nothing is definitive. Characters are being selected not solely for selling power but for design, moveset, fan appeal, etc. It also seems that Sakurai might've had more input than he led us to believe. Joker also strikes me as a solid "balance" pick because Persona is popular in both Japan and in the West. The series may be successful but also brings solid fan appeal. I think Geno can work under those criteria. Even if Geno is more of a hardcore fan pick, he'd be a surprise, bring a unique moveset and design, and would represent Nintendo and Square's renewed collaboration as well as Nintendo's in house RPG series.

I'm hoping that the DLC lineup remains as surprising as it has so far. It should be a fun ride!

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
So you know how every leaker and their dog was saying the Square rep was going to be the first DLC reveal?

What if the reason Joker was shown off at TGA in lieu of the Square pick is because Persona 5 is more modern and mainstream than Geno or Dragon Quest, and thus a more fitting reveal for TGA? Like the Square rep is still there, and let's say it's Geno, but Nintendo decided that Joker would make more of a splash.
Most "Leakers" said that Square-Enix would be first because, if only you know for how long we keep hearing about this Square-Enix rep...
It was a "firm belief" because nothing else leaked, at best there the "minecraft" stuff if Vergeben is right or the Namco rumour with Yuri and Llyod.
But those are hand-off rumour backed off by one or two people.
The Square-Enix rep? Everyone and their Grandma seems to have heard a way or another Square-Enix names. With how much infos float around, people just guessed it would be the first DLC.

Also, like you said, either they keep Geno or DQ for even Crono for something less "big" like a Nintendo Direct (which is very much possible) or the Square-Enix rep is big enough by itself to be an E3 reveal (So in that list it would be Sora/Sephiroth) kinda like how Ryu/Ridley/Megaman/Pac-man were revealed at E3

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Well people are forgetting Byleth is literally green Marth design wise
he is exactly Marth with green hair, it would be the laziest DLC of all

on another view, both Fire Emblem and Metroid don't lack any stages or musics an upcoming DLC could bring

Both Nintendo and Sakurai know Corrin DLC was the worst seller and it had a lot of backlash, so they won't bring another Fire Emblem DLC this time

well Persona 5 was awarded best RPG last year at TGA so it was a good reminder to show it at TGA again, nothing more nothing less

This is the same company that was unaware of the campaign for Golden Sun (if Polar Pandas sources are correct) and added Chrom as an Echo even though they could easily have chosen Shadow since he was in the same situation as Chrom (aka already made model and could have easily been a echo fighter.) as well as ended the character reveals with Ken, Incineroar and Piranha Plant.. 3 characters that aren't really grand slam worthy no matter if the Grinch leak had happened or not. Sorry, but I shouldn't disqualify the chances of another FE DLC. Especially when they are pushing that franchise as hard to the point that they are giving it own expo next year.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
It's probably going to be Crono, honestly. Kind of debating whether I want to be this invested for a minimum of 7 months to be BTFO for the third time in 10 years.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was Crono, and while I would happily accept Crono with open arms, it wouldn't be without some admitted frustration. I'm not even as long a Geno fan as a lot of the people gunning (heh) for him, and I'd be rather disappointed that, after being considered for Brawl and making it as a Mii costume in Sm4sh, he doesn't manage to happen for the third time in a row. Considering being just a PNG in two places in the game
(one being towards the very end and thus without much room to use in WoL)
definitely feels like more of a downgrade from the facsimile of being playable via Mii costume, it'd be a terrible blow, very disheartening.

Needless to say, I can only imagine how crushed longer-time Geno fans would be after getting this close to the finish line again, only to have Geno's chances smashed into the ground. They say third time's the charm, but I can't help but be very pessimistic. It's pretty heartbreaking, because as mentioned earlier in the thread, Geno would be such an incredible fit for Ultimate in particular, better than Sm4sh and even Brawl. Like many others, however, I've given up a lot of hope there and am focusing my efforts on pushing for a second wave of DLC, as well as for Geno to return outside of Smash.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Why the sudden change in heart?
Because I'm 31 years old and way too invested in this. My optimism comes from my own theorycraft and, all in all, it's irrelevant. All of it. I'm looking at my posts and realizing I'm kind of doing everyone a disservice. I'm not lying to people but I'm honestly making the situation worse. This honestly needs to stop. I need to grow up in the worst kind of way. As someone else mentioned, it's bordering on mental illness. It's just a character in a video game and I'm seeing the scope of my life and realizing what a collosal waste it is. I need to move on. Thirteen years is more than enough. I can't keep doing this to myself.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am not personally invested in this. However, Geno might be the only Nintendo character left in the running still (unless you also count Banjo-Kazooie as a Nintendo character). Reggie says DLC will be characters one will not normally expect to see in Smash Bros.

There is also Sakurai's own words of praise for Geno as well.

My own personal bet as a veteran speculator is either Geno or someone who represents Dragon Quest. The latter I feel has a strong possibility because its probably the last big Japanese IP from the 1980's that is not in Smash Bros. in any capacity. The port for Dragon Quest for the Switch is also called Dragon Quest XI S, and one of the things the S stands for is special (which is Ultimate's name in Japan).

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I am not personally invested in this. However, Geno might be the only Nintendo character left in the running still (unless you also count Banjo-Kazooie as a Nintendo character). Reggie says DLC will be characters one will not normally expect to see in Smash Bros.

There is also Sakurai's own words of praise for Geno as well.

My own personal bet as a veteran speculator is either Geno or someone who represents Dragon Quest. The latter I feel has a strong possibility because its probably the last big Japanese IP from the 1980's that is not in Smash Bros. in any capacity. The port for Dragon Quest for the Switch is also called Dragon Quest XI S, and one of the things the S stands for is special (which is Ultimate's name in Japan).

It will be interesting to see what happens.
How do you feel about DQ's licensing issues?

Because I'm 31 years old and way too invested in this. My optimism comes from my own theorycraft and, all in all, it's irrelevant. All of it. I'm looking at my posts and realizing I'm kind of doing everyone a disservice. I'm not lying to people but I'm honestly making the situation worse. This honestly needs to stop. I need to grow up in the worst kind of way. As someone else mentioned, it's bordering on mental illness. It's just a character in a video game and I'm seeing the scope of my life and realizing what a collosal waste it is. I need to move on. Thirteen years is more than enough. I can't keep doing this to myself.
Take a step back then, for your health. Stay safe.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Dragon Quest has crossed over with Super Mario TWICE. Three times if we count Slime showing up as a playable character in Mario Sports Mix. I feel the licensing issues are overblown with it.
the crossover examples were square games, not nintendo games.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Except those games were developed by Squenix, no?
I think Square-Enix would want Dragon Quest in just to get it big in the West, so they would not make Nintendo jump through hoops like they did with Cloud. Basically, it would be the opposite of what happened with Cloud.

the crossover examples were square games, not nintendo games.
Mario Sports Mix was certainly a Nintendo game even though it was developed by Square.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I think Square-Enix would want Dragon Quest in just to get it big in the West, so they would not make Nintendo jump through hoops like they did with Cloud. Basically, it would be the opposite of what happened with Cloud.

Mario Sports Mix was certainly a Nintendo game even though it was developed by Square.
I don't think they have a choice in the manner. DQ by existing requires many legal hoops, and I think they also understand a DQ rep wouldn't really have much impact on Western sales.

Also, it's a Squenix game, though published by Nintendo. Implication here is that Nintendo licensed out MARIO to Squenix. Not Squenix licensed out DQ to Nintendo. So I think that point stands.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I don't think they have a choice in the manner. DQ by existing requires many legal hoops, and I think they also understand a DQ rep wouldn't really have much impact on Western sales.

Also, it's a Squenix game, though published by Nintendo. Implication here is that Nintendo licensed out MARIO to Squenix. Not Squenix licensed out DQ to Nintendo. So I think that point stands.
We shall see what happens. We are months away from the next DLC character confirmation, so I am just going to focus on enjoying Ultimate as opposed to speculating on DLC. I already put my two cents in. I am not going to debate on something I do not care about.

tehponycorn has said he is going to put out a massive analysis for Square-Enix characters soon, so he will probably talk about the situation with each major Square-Enix character in a lot more detail.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
We shall see what happens. We are months away from the next DLC character confirmation, so I am just going to focus on enjoying Ultimate as opposed to speculating on DLC. I already put my two cents in. I am not going to debate on something I do not care about.

tehponycorn has said he is going to put out a massive analysis for Square-Enix characters soon, so he will probably talk about the situation with each major Square-Enix character in a lot more detail.
Then you are much wiser than myself.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I know I'm just some rando on the internet, but although I appreciate seeing your ideas/perspective on the Geno situation I think you should do whatever makes you happiest. If speculating in this way and being this emotionally invested is making you depressed or just not feeling good mentally then it probably is for the best to take a step back/take a break or just emotionally disengage for your own mental health.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I just want to make sure that you didnt hear anything from the grapevine or from any insiders that are claiming Geno is not the character.

I at least want to keep hoping and being optimistic until the day I hear it is for sure now Geno.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Take a step back then, for your health. Stay safe.
Health wise I'm fine but, honestly, when does it stop if Geno's not DLC? Do I keep coming back here for Smash 6? 7? I'm already past the point when most professional gamers retire age wise so what does it say about me as a person doing this in my 30's? Am I honestly going to be doing this in my 40's? I'm married, debt free, with two degrees including a Master's so it's not like I'm totally dysfunctional and addicted to meth but when does the cause justify means? Thirteen years. I could probably put that on an application and be recommened for assisted suicide by a team of professionals. Its coming to terms with how this is kind of my legacy and holy hell does that make me want to drink and not stop. Fatmanonice: Geno fan. Not exactly a flattering epitaph.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Health wise I'm fine but, honestly, when does it stop if Geno's not DLC? Do I keep coming back here for Smash 6? 7? I'm already past the point when most professional gamers retire age wise so what does it say about me as a person doing this in my 30's? Am I honestly going to be doing this in my 40's? I'm married, debt free, with two degrees including a Master's so it's not like I'm totally dysfunctional and addicted to meth but when does the cause justify means? Thirteen years. I could probably put that on an application and be recommened for assisted suicide by a team of professionals. Its coming to terms with how this is kind of my legacy and holy hell does that make me want to drink and not stop. Fatmanonice: Geno fan. Not exactly a flattering epitaph.
I think it's time to call it quits for now and do some stuff you want people to remember you for, whether it be here or IRL. We're rooting for you man.

KidCham

Smash Apprentice
To be honest i just think anything that could be debated through the few hints everyone have is done and nothing more can be said now
What's not easy on the mind is all the hard thinking into what's going to be, whether it's tomorrow or two days after we won't be getting a better perspective without any new info

I think for any pro character thread, it's better off to relax and enjoy the game and the sight of the Plant as well as Joker

I'm too of a certain age and i've been disappointed by not getting some characters too (i was destroyed by the grinch leak being fake during the last direct) but in the end i learn to enjoy what we got instead, Incineroar for example is really fun to use as well as Isabelle, and i'm very hyped by Joker.

We may not get what we want but we may enjoy what we get. As well as hope for the best but expect the worst.

Even if it's Crono, he has tremendous OST to bring

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
My unsolicited perspective is that in life balance is important. You can be a passionate Geno fan and campaign and whatnot for his inclusion while also having other hobbies and interests outside of Geno and Smash. You can be Fatmanonice: Geno fan, sports fan, movie buff, good samaritan, underwater basket weaver, etc. Your life doesn't have to revolve around Geno but it can include being a fan of his amongst other things. There's a healthy way to be invested and an unhealthy way.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
so you are giving up on geno then?
No but, like I said, it's irrelevant. I have plenty of things outside of Smash including a myriad of hobbies and my LinkedIn profile reads like a damn novel because how involved I am in my community but this ultimately has zero net worth. It doesn't advance my career. It doesn't make me money. It's just the possibility of my favorite video game being playable in another game. That's it. Cathartic, yes, but emotions are fleeting and ultimately worthless if not attached to something of genuine worth.

Doctor Lucky

Smash Cadet
It's probably going to be Crono, honestly. Kind of debating whether I want to be this invested for a minimum of 7 months to be BTFO for the third time in 10 years.
The cynic in my agrees with "It's probably going to be Crono", but the cynic in me is a bit of a jerk so I don't pay him too much attention.

I'm still firmly on board with Geno being the/a Square Enix representative, if not due to leaks then all the other odd tidbits of information scattered around that, by themselves, make very little sense.

Things such as Geno's Mii costume's special treatment (it had it's own splash), NoA tweeting about Super Mario RPG's 22nd birthday, Sakurai purchasing a Vifam figure as "reference to for his work" (the figure in question fires a laser which suspiciously resembles Geno Beam) and other such things. While it could be argued all these things are mere coincidence, or that they're simply attempts by Nintendo to convince Square to include Geno in the game, I'm still of the mind that they're hints that Geno is very much planned for the game. Even if we ignore leaks entirely and base our assumptions on solid facts, things still look good for Geno.

Hell, as I've mentioned before just looking at the reveals thus far, a Geno reveal wouldn't make sense timing wise. Base game means no Square DLC money, VGA is for current and mass appeal things in which Geno is neither one nor the other. But for now all we can do is just wait and see.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce

I am afraid I'm of the same mindset, man. This is it, my last hoorah. And after Reggie's comment after the Joker reveal I not longer expect Geno. I hope I'm wrong, but after this chance I'm retiring. I can't stand the heartbreak and I'm too old to get so emotionally invested in this.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I am afraid I'm of the same mindset, man. This is it, my last hoorah. And after Reggie's comment after the Joker reveal I not longer expect Geno. I hope I'm wrong, but after this chance I'm retiring. I can't stand the heartbreak and I'm too old to get so emotionally invested in this.
What did Reggie's comments change for you?

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
This is the same company that was unaware of the campaign for Golden Sun (if Polar Pandas sources are correct) and added Chrom as an Echo even though they could easily have chosen Shadow since he was in the same situation as Chrom (aka already made model and could have easily been a echo fighter.) as well as ended the character reveals with Ken, Incineroar and Piranha Plant.. 3 characters that aren't really grand slam worthy no matter if the Grinch leak had happened or not. Sorry, but I shouldn't disqualify the chances of another FE DLC. Especially when they are pushing that franchise as hard to the point that they are giving it own expo next year.
Yeah but Shadow is a SEGA character , and It's been discussed a lot that he could be a semi-clone/unique character.

I'm just a random person on the internet , but If I could say something , I'm sure this isn't your only legacy.
If you're married , debt free , and two degree , then you have done something good with your life.
If speculating about Geno's chance over and over is making you more and more depressed , take a break. You've helped creating a community , and It's not gonna fall apart if you leave. Nobody force you to stay here , do what's best for your life !

And... This is pretty personnal... But I fu***** wish I knew a 30/40 year old gamer with this much passion in my life. Maybe for you it look ridiculous to still do that at your age , but for me , It's impressive , in a good way.

And as DatboiGeno said , you're a Geno fan , but you are also married , or maybe a sport fan , or a teacher , I dunno , but you are several things , not just a Geno fan.

Sorry if I offended you in anyway , english isn't my first language , but I really wanted to give my opinion about this. You're a great man , and if you need a break , take it , because you deserve it.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
at this point im thinking of dropping out of the speculation too. im a high schooler and ive been spending most of my time when im not doing school work or talking with friends here or in the geno discord. ill probably come back here to talk a bit when dlc and stuff gets revealed and give my two cents but im done constantly speculating. i have a girlfriend, hobbies, and i kinda have a social life and i want to put those above geno speculation. ill probably still drop in the geno discord every now and then but uhh yea.

tl;dr, its been a fun ride with yall and some of the people here are really cool, but im dropping out for now.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
I feel Dragon Quest is infinitely more likely. Also, Since Nintendo no longer cares about being associated with anti-LGBT sentiment since they are adding a series that is notoriously transphobic to smash, I no longer think the composer of Dragon Quest will be any sort of deterrent to them at all.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Dragon Quest has crossed over with Super Mario TWICE. Three times if we count Slime showing up as a playable character in Mario Sports Mix. I feel the licensing issues are overblown with it.
That's because Armor Project and Square developed that game, Nintendo published it. The guests of the game were the Mario characters. Fatmanonice Fatmanonice even stated stuff about this before. Nintendo gave Square the license to use Mario and their characters for the game.

Fortune Street on the DS was developed by Armor Project and the publisher was Square; Nintendo wasn't involved at all with this one besides giving the licensing of their characters to Square.
Fortune Street on the Wii was developed by Square and published by Nintendo, but they still had no development in the game. Square had to get the license from Armor Project to use DQ characters in that game since Armor Project had no involvement in the development.

DQ characters are owned by Square, Armor Project, Heartbeat, and one more company (forgot the name). If they were to choose a DQ character, it's a living hell and Square would barely get any profit from that. They've constantly tried advertising DQ towards the west and it never appealed to them; only 7% of the DQ sales are worldwide and 93% are from Japan. They've tried four times and it never worked, so if they were to pick a DQ character, Square would get screwed over because they would only receive about 25% of their DLC profit. Now say Sora for example, Square wouldn't be getting any profit off of him because he's completely owned by Disney, and all of that profit would go to Disney. Sora has only had KH games on the hand-helds and those hand-helds were remastered on other consoles, none of those remasters came to Nintendo. Kingdom Hearts 3 is NOT coming to the Switch, so why bother? Nintendo gets no benefit from Sora because the profit goes to Disney and there's nothing to promote for Sora. Disney's relationship with Nintendo isn't the best right now, anyway. There's a rumor going around that Persona 5 is coming to the Switch, so if this is true, then Joker does serve a purpose - fan service and promotional material. But this is SEGA we're talking about, they're friendly with Nintendo, they're not savages to Nintendo like Square is. Now we know why Sonic didn't get any new remixes, it's because it's all going towards Joker. But if Persona 5 isn't coming to Switch, it means Joker is just a hardcore fan service pick, just like Geno is with being a hardcore fan service character.

As for Geno, he is completely owned by Square and they wouldn't have to split profits with anyone; he's the most requested Square rep, he's not a licensing nightmare like Sora or a DQ character, and they already have the rights to use him in the game. It's not that difficult. Sakurai has some power with picking the DLC, and he likes Persona 5, so Nintendo could've taken this into consideration for Sakurai and picked Joker for DLC. This could be the same with Geno being picked as the Square character, but we don't know that. Datboigeno Datboigeno even mentioned the recent interview about Sakurai and Nintendo wanting to pick unique characters for the DLC, and guess who Sakurai finds to be unique? Geno. And the reason why he finds him unique is that he has a GUN FOR A HAND. Don't forget, as Sakurai said, he'd fit ABSOLUTELY PERFECTLY into Smash! If they're picking unique characters and not business deals, then I see some hope for Geno being picked by Nintendo and Sakurai for DLC.

In my opinion, I don't think the DQ characters don't bring the uniqueness like Geno does. We already have a character that uses a sword and magic (Robin), so we've already seen it. Do we have a character that uses time hits and a gun for a hand? No, but hmm........ it sounds like it'll be something unique and in consideration for Sakurai and Nintendo when picking the DLC.

But whatever happens, it's been fun being here with you all and being a big Geno supporter for the past ten years. I'm just happy Sakurai and his team put all of their work into the game for us.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's just that we're super old by gamer standards and coming here day after day for hours at a time is a huge investment. Sure, plenty of people do this through other means whether it's Netflix or fantasy leagues or Reddit or 4chan but it doesn't mean it's good, you know? Like I said, I think we're getting to a point where it's becoming less fun and more tedious like doing taxes.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
No but, like I said, it's irrelevant. I have plenty of things outside of Smash including a myriad of hobbies and my LinkedIn profile reads like a damn novel because how involved I am in my community but this ultimately has zero net worth. It doesn't advance my career. It doesn't make me money. It's just the possibility of my favorite video game being playable in another game. That's it. Cathartic, yes, but emotions are fleeting and ultimately worthless if not attached to something of genuine worth.
I mean, that's the nature of any type of fandom. People spend their entire mortal lives hoping for specific sports teams to win a championship and die before it ever happens. Or hoping for a particular comic character to come back from the dead or be relevant again. Or just liking a specific movie franchise. It doesn't make them money and it has no value other than their own happiness. So in the end it just begs the question is something valuable and worth investing in emotionally to you if the only thing it provides is happiness for happiness's sake.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Sorry but I have to call out stuff when I see it: Chrom has been campaigned for ever since he was only part of Robin's FS and people wanted him before that reveal. Shadow had little support until echo fighters were announced, in which the game was already clearly in development and closer to going gold than not since it was in June. Ken was a fine reveal, Incineroar was an amazing reveal (and if you think otherwise your bias either against him or for another character clouds your judgement) and our potted boi demands your respect. Reggie suggested at the VGAs that this is a taste of what is to come, and thus Joker being a far cry from a 'shill pick' could very well mean fewer to no shill picks despite NoJ having a big say.

Whoa whoa whoa, hold the got-DAYUM phone here. Listen, I get it, it's been a long road. I've been there as well, though I've ducked out from time to time just due to pure life and how there is constantly stuff going on so sometimes you overlook things that meant something to you, but you can't just opt out like this my dude? Sure, I may have called you out on something in which I disagree with how you handled it, and SURE this is getting rather frustrating at this point, but let us reconsider our position before you throw in the towel after being a guiding star for so many years. Even if Geno doesn't make it into Ultimate, Octopath Traveler did AMAZINGLY well and even had multiple nominations at the VGAs this year! This means that Square knows it was a success and can follow through with their statement to keep working with the Switch with both new IPs and old ones alike. Geno's chances to come back in some shape or form have never been higher, Smash be damned. Sure, him getting into Smash would be better for him overall, but even if he doesn't good things for him can still happen.

Sure, you may be thinking right now that it is irrelevant regardless if it happens one way or another, but you would be wrong. You would be one of many who stuck around pushing the envelope to the edge and beyond to finally see your favorite character return, and that in itself is something crazy ridiculous. Seriously, Geno returning in full bloom purely due to fan demand? A 20+ year old character from a single game in the late 90s that never got to be seen ever again aside from the most minor of cameos and has been largely forgotten by a company that prefers to create droves of spiky-haired brooding anime protagonists and is on the same level of stingy as Scrooge McDuck? No one would even dream of bothering to try and support that, yet here we are, and here you are at the forefront: THE fatmanonice, the man with the dope ass Popeye pic for a profile and the one who tries the hardest to spread the facts and the speculation for the odds of possibly one of the most obscure characters in all of video game history. And if it amount to nothing, it's not like your whole life is worthless: you aren't so obsessed with it that you live under a bridge and walk to McDonald's every day to use wifi just to post here. You have a life, and from what little I know, it seems pretty good.

If you need a break, take a break, but don't bail out completely. I'm sure you don't want to be the guy that gave up on Geno only to have it actually happen afterwards, I'm sure that would feel a bit upsetting. Much more than being in the fray the whole go.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I hear you, Fatman. I've struggled with aging a great deal as well; I'm also 30, but not married, and only just starting to get my life anywhere near together after a strange upbringing. I've felt behind my entire life, like everyone is so much farther ahead of me. I got depressed about it a lot. I look at myself, a gamer, a fan of Nintendo and things like Kirby, and I wonder if I'm doing it all wrong.

The conclusion I came to, after much internal debate: life isn't a race, it's not the same for everyone, and changing yours because you're not similar enough to the "norm" is a terrible reason to do or not do anything.

I'm not saying not to change your life if you're unhappy--far from it. But I just want to stress that it's okay to pursue things you're passionate about, regardless of age or life situation. Work toward your legacy, weed out the excess that's causing you grief, but keep the stuff that you love. As Datboigeno Datboigeno said, balance is key. And don't stress about leaving a legacy--life isn't a game, and you don't have to "win" it. Just work toward the things you're proud of, and give yourself props on what you DO accomplish, not what you haven't. I mean, you've got two degrees and a master's, dude. That's already more than I've done my entire life, if we're going by the normal "scoring" system.

Me? I'm going to keep doing this stuff. How long? As long as it's still interesting for me. And in the interim, I'm working on my art, my true purpose in life. Do I have it together? Hells nah. But I'm trying, and that's all that matters. Whatever you choose to do, dude, I'm rooting for you. Just be positive about the change, and keep what makes you happy in the meantime, otherwise it's not going to help.

Gettin' some serious life talks in the Geno thread, lol. But I guess it's to be expected with a 20+ year old character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom