• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Welp, looks like Geno brings more and more people together rather than drive them away.

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
If it wasn't clear already since Mid September, I support the Puppet.

So add me to the list please and thanks.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The op tells how to be added

But I can't update it today

Last edited:

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
I'm starting to wonder how Square does business with certain companies. Like, who came to who and said, "Put Noctis in Tekken!"
Might add some insight on their DLC practices.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I wasn't sure about a DLC supporter list. This was really the first Geno thread to really even have a supporter list. The others sort of did but never updated the list after the first day.

If I add one, I won't be able to do it today

I made sure to make a supporter list because I really thought he was going to get in this time.
Wait, are you implying you’ll separate the supporter list into DLC or base game? Because I don’t know about other people but my first post here back in June was definitely in support of him being in the base game. And I was even the first person to post the grinch leak here as a hopeful sign he was in. So it’d feel weird being put on a DLC supporter list when I’ve supported him this whole time...

Last edited:

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
Can i be on base, because that was when i first joined. Anyway, even if spirits end up deconfirming characters, at least Geno isn't confirmed a spirit YET.

D

Deleted member

If Geno is DLC, do you guys think that he would be announced at the game awards or in a direct in January?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
If Geno is DLC, do you guys think that he would be announced at the game awards or in a direct in January?
The Game Awards would be incredible for Geno to be announced. I am starting to drift away from that idea more and more as we got the nominees and nothing seems to point to Nintendo to do a reveal.

A New Year Direct or something would be neat. Personally, I could see either or happening, but would LOVE to see it announced at the VGAs

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why separate them? It seems likely enough that we’ll get a definitive answer within a month or two, if not a couple weeks.
The reason I might separate them is because while some people want to be added to the list, after Geno didn't make it into base game I've also had people that asked to be taken off the list

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
The whole idea of a supporter list seems so early 2000’s internet to me. But if we have one there’s literally no reason to make a separate DLC list

JuryRigging

Smash Cadet
I've been lurking this thread for the past two weeks or so, I haven't really bothered to make a post until now. It's clear that there is some compelling evidence in Geno's favor for becoming a playable fighter this time around.

Something I wanted to address, since I haven't seen it mentioned yet (forgive me if it has been though), is the player icon stuff. A couple people in this thread have deduced that the Zero spirit is different from that of the player icon, same with Klaptrap (and the Moon to an extent but I'm unclear on that). This leads us to believe that spirits are different from icons.

However, what if player icons cover a more broad spectrum of Ultimate's content? From the footage we've seen so far, some player icons match up with spirits, and some don't. But the oddly convenient thing about Zero, Klaptrap, and the Moon is that they're all assist trophies. I'm not 100% sure on this but they likely use the Ultimate model as well. Going by this logic, it makes it more likely that Geno is in the game as a spirit.

You shouldn't take this as bad news, as this is just my prediction based on what we've seen so far. Besides, it's pretty unlikely that spirits outright deconfirm them as DLC characters based on what has happened to Mewtwo and Lucas in the past entry.

Regardless, I'm still rooting for Geno as DLC, as I believe he has a very fair chance this time around. Carry on!

D

Deleted member

I've been lurking this thread for the past two weeks or so, I haven't really bothered to make a post until now. It's clear that there is some compelling evidence in Geno's favor for becoming a playable fighter this time around.

Something I wanted to address, since I haven't seen it mentioned yet (forgive me if it has been though), is the player icon stuff. A couple people in this thread have deduced that the Zero spirit is different from that of the player icon, same with Klaptrap (and the Moon to an extent but I'm unclear on that). This leads us to believe that spirits are different from icons.

However, what if player icons cover a more broad spectrum of Ultimate's content? From the footage we've seen so far, some player icons match up with spirits, and some don't. But the oddly convenient thing about Zero, Klaptrap, and the Moon is that they're all assist trophies. I'm not 100% sure on this but they likely use the Ultimate model as well. Going by this logic, it makes it more likely that Geno is in the game as a spirit.

You shouldn't take this as bad news, as this is just my prediction based on what we've seen so far. Besides, it's pretty unlikely that spirits outright deconfirm them as DLC characters based on what has happened to Mewtwo and Lucas in the past entry.

Regardless, I'm still rooting for Geno as DLC, as I believe he has a very fair chance this time around. Carry on!
I don't think Geno will be a spirit. For Zero, Klaptrap, and Moon, they use official and older art for their spirits, but they use their assist trophy renders for their battle tokens. Geno uses his old official art for his battle token and isn't an assist trophy, and that is the only official art that he has, so if he were a spirit, he would have to use the same art as the token, and I think that is unlikely

Last edited by a moderator:

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209

I think if Geno is a spirit, that'd still be good for him regardless. It'd make it clear that he's an Enix character Nintendo can actually use easily, as they have some rights. I'm of the mindset that SOME Enix character is guaranteed, as I trust both Vergeben and my own NoA contact.

JuryRigging

Smash Cadet
I don't think Geno will be a spirit. For Zero, Klaptrap, and Moon, they use official and older art for their spirits, but they use their assist trophy renders for their battle tokens. Geno uses his old official art for his battle token and isn't an assist trophy, and that is the only official art that he has, so if he were a spirit, he would have to use the same art as the token, and I think that is unlikely
While true, there are a couple player icons that line up exactly with their spirit art (their original artwork, if you will). One example of this is KK Slider. All I'm really saying is that it might not be out of the question to assume that both spirits and assist trophies (possibly a broader spectrum of content too) can be used as player icons, which may or may not be evidence for a spirit of Geno in the base game.

I think if Geno is a spirit, that'd still be good for him regardless. It'd make it clear that he's an Enix character Nintendo can actually use easily, as they have some rights. I'm of the mindset that SOME Enix character is guaranteed, as I trust both Vergeben and my own NoA contact.
I do agree with you PolarPanda, any exposure is good exposure. and I trust your word. Just wanted to point out an observation of mine that leads me to believe that Geno might be a spirit in the base game.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

There’s no reason to think he’s a spirit until we actually see him as a spirit.

D

Deleted member

Idk y'all. I've been talking to this dog and he thinks Geno is in!
This dog is an insider and he knows all the information for the Smash Ultimate DLC. He is even more reliable than Vergeben, and he has confirmed that Geno will be playable in Super Smash Bros Ultimate as DLC

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Honestly, while the last couple weeks have proved that Nintendo is relatively bad at managing final reveals, the longer this mystery goes on the more it’d honestly feel insane(in a bad way, of course) if Geno just turns out to be a Spirit.

Nearly three years ago, Geno’s Mii Costume got its own trailer in the middle of the big final Smash 4 direct, and a couple months later, Sakurai had that now-famous interview.

Clearly, if Geno is just a Spirit, the correct procedure should have been to directly show off his fight for a few seconds during the final Direct, complete with his costume, since precedence indicates that he has quite a notable fanbase surrounding him.

The incorrect procedure would be to briefly show him as part of a screenshot on a menu option, linked to one of the only characters in the roster who is literally known for seeing the future. And then completely hide his existing costume in all possible appearances, while making it unclear if that menu appearance even deconfirms him as a character.

I think it’s worth reiterating the point about the menu thing, actually: We have not seen Geno’s icon specifically chosen for any of the lobby footage. We have just seen the menu option with him on the screenshot, but there has been zero recorded Ultimate footage so far where someone deliberately chose Geno anything, or saw the option to do so.
If your logic that Nintendo and Sakurai wouldn’t possibly be that tone deaf, then I have bad news and an amount of evidence to the contrary.

Always consider the reality where Geno is of no importance to Nintendo at all because him even being recognized relies on us as fans. Does he have a good shot from that support? Definitely. Does our community support mean Nintendo has been shown or cares at all? Not in the slightest.

Seriously I’m a massive Nintendo fan, but expecting anything more ham adequacy from a pr perspective from Nintendo I just kind of laugh at. For all the good the company does, they’re horridly tone deaf in a lot of ways, especially with regards to their reveals and online related infrastructure/“features.”

They make great games, and they’ve been doing better in recent history with a lot of things, but Nintendo tends to blunder lots of little things as a company that adds up over time. Just take the response to the Switch Online as a reality. People called that a distinctly Nintendo blunder, and they arguably made it even worse by saying they’d reveal more in the future a week before the service launched...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The Game Awards would be incredible for Geno to be announced. I am starting to drift away from that idea more and more as we got the nominees and nothing seems to point to Nintendo to do a reveal.

A New Year Direct or something would be neat. Personally, I could see either or happening, but would LOVE to see it announced at the VGAs
I have a feeling you may be right and that I'll just waste my time watching the TGA. We probably won't know anything til PP is out.

At the same time, there's no reason to think he is not a spirit, we actually don't know at all
Schrodinger's Spirit.

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
the dog knows who all the dlc is. problem is that he doesn't speak our language so we are back to square one sigh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom