• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

DIY

Smash Apprentice
I just had an idea relating to Vergeben and PolarPanda's source. A month ago, Vergeben claimed that, "Geno is someone practically everyone is predicting and expecting. Meaning that they internally probably do not take that one as seriously as names they themselves have been putting out to employees. That's not to say that he isn't a name on their list of characters they have been telling people it is though."

Originally, I thought what Vergeben was saying would lower Geno's chances at being the SE representative since I interpreted his message as him essentially saying that too many internal employees were hearing Geno's name for him to actually be the real DLC character. However, now that I think about it more, is it possible that Vergeben's claim actually reinforces PolarPanda's source's claims that many people in NoA have said Geno will be in? I'm probably jumping the gun here but could it mean that so many people have heard about Geno's inclusion not because he's a fake choice, but maybe because the people working on him have secretly spread the news through word of mouth which has reached numerous employees from inside both SE and NoA?

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I just had an idea relating to Vergeben and PolarPanda's source. A month ago, Vergeben claimed that, "Geno is someone practically everyone is predicting and expecting. Meaning that they internally probably do not take that one as seriously as names they themselves have been putting out to employees. That's not to say that he isn't a name on their list of characters they have been telling people it is though."

Originally, I thought what Vergeben was saying would lower Geno's chances at being the SE representative since I interpreted his message as him essentially saying that too many internal employees were hearing Geno's name for him to actually be the real DLC character. However, now that I think about it more, is it possible that Vergeben's claim actually reinforces PolarPanda's source's claims that many people in NoA have said Geno will be in? I'm probably jumping the gun here but could it mean that so many people have heard about Geno's inclusion not because he's a fake choice, but maybe because the people working on him have secretly spread the news through word of mouth which has reached numerous employees from inside both SE and NoA?
With NoA it could go either way. I'm sure a lot of people at NoA are assuming it is Geno so his name is for sure one of the ones floating around more commonly. I would just like to see what other names they have been hearing around NoA. Not just Geno's to see if he truly is the only one they are aware of/or can soft confirm.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
There is a couple rumors going around that are in favor of Geno, and a couple of "leakers" who may have inside information or may just be speculating, that think Geno is in.

So he's not out yet.

Edit: Also I'm gone for one day and we already got to page 317!

Last edited:

djgwiz

Smash Apprentice
There is a couple rumors going around that are in favor of Geno, and a couple of "leakers" who may have inside information or may just be speculating, that think Geno is in.

So he's not out yet.

Edit: Also I'm gone for one day and we already got to page 317!
Are you referring to the Polarpanda rumor from here or something else?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Are you referring to the Polarpanda rumor from here or something else?
There was also Stealth saying he expects Geno and Banjo. For whatever that means.

For example

Last edited:

DIY

Smash Apprentice
With NoA it could go either way. I'm sure a lot of people at NoA are assuming it is Geno so his name is for sure one of the ones floating around more commonly. I would just like to see what other names they have been hearing around NoA. Not just Geno's to see if he truly is the only one they are aware of/or can soft confirm.
That's a good point. Now that you mention it, I would be curious to see how often other SE characters were mentioned around NoA (if any at all). That could be a good indication of whether Geno's chances are higher or the same as they were before.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

When/where did he say this? I literally never heard of that before now. Though really that sounds more like conjecture on his part based on how many people put Geno on character wishists than anything concrete considering he wouldn't really know what SE internally is or isn't taking seriously.

Last edited:

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
Gennette.png
Linkle would work as an Echo, I don't know what differences could she Have with Link.. Lana feels odd.
Well actually she doesn't use the sword, she dual wields cross bows and sometimes shoots bomb arrows.
I actually found it in this thread! Here's the full version~
View attachment 178608
Oh that was who originally posted that, i didn't make it though. Your welcome! :) here is another one, i got ones of Bowyer, Belome, smithy, i don't remember his name but the first boss at the mushroom kingdom, etc.

Last edited:

DIY

Smash Apprentice
When/where did he say this? I literally never heard of that before now. Though really that sounds more like conjecture on his part based on how many people put Geno on character wishists than anything concrete considering he wouldn't really know what SE internally is or isn't taking seriously.
He said this in a post on Gamefaqs about a month ago. And honestly, you could be right about the whole thing being conjecture on his part about people's wishlists. I find myself occasionally having to reread Vergeben's statements a few times to understand exactly what he's saying.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
He said this in a post on Gamefaqs about a month ago. And honestly, you could be right about the whole being conjecture on his part about people's wishlists. I find myself occasionally having to reread Vergeben's statements a few times to understand exactly what he's saying.
Yeah I went ahead and searched the quote and found the Gamefaqs thread. People were more or less taking it as essentially Vergeben deconfirming Geno. But as far as I'm aware while Verg has heard a list of names he didn't know exactly who it was that would be the SE character. So I'm just surprised he went the extra step to make that comment about Geno and what SE might feel about his name being thrown around internally. That's really bordering on a "Sakurai wanted to do X"-tier of leaker info which is always super suspect. That specific comment may have just been him talking out of his ass.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I have faith in our little star puppet~!
>Jessica
SS is a man of culture, I see.

I can understand Squall being annoyed, given that his game is impossible to port due to circumstances.

Yeah I went ahead and searched the quote and found the Gamefaqs thread. People were more or less taking it as essentially Vergeben deconfirming Geno. But as far as I'm aware while Verg has heard a list of names he didn't know exactly who it was that would be the SE character. So I'm just surprised he went the extra step to make that comment about Geno and what SE might feel about his name being thrown around internally. That's really bordering on a "Sakurai wanted to do X"-tier of leaker info which is always super suspect. That specific comment may have just been him talking out of his ***.
It would be nice to have a single big name person that doesn't speak vaguely in this entire speculation cycle...

That's a good point. Now that you mention it, I would be curious to see how often other SE characters were mentioned around NoA (if any at all). That could be a good indication of whether Geno's chances are higher or the same as they were before.
Given that, I think the names would be for SE characters that have all had a Nintendo appearance at some point, so this would narrow it down a bit.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I HAVE BIG NEWS FOR GENO!!!!
Now that gameplay embargo has been lifted... 700 spirits confirmed. NO Enix spirits found yet at all, and we've seen over 500. Only 2 FF tracks. And Stealth__ is tweeting that Cloud was the final veteran added due to Enix being difficult to work through...
If Cloud was hard to add (and this is corroberated by only 2 FF tracks and no Enix spirits), Geno is the only sensible Enix rep. Another FF character (very unlikely) is the only competition anymore IMO. DQ and KH are even more of a hassle than FF is. I think it's Geno time!

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Now that gameplay embargo has been lifted... 700 spirits confirmed. NO Enix spirits found yet at all, and we've seen over 500. Only 2 FF tracks. And Stealth__ is tweeting that Cloud was the final veteran added due to Enix being difficult to work through...
If Cloud was hard to add (and this is corroberated by only 2 FF tracks and no Enix spirits), Geno is the only sensible Enix rep. Another FF character (very unlikely) is the only competition anymore IMO. DQ and KH are even more of a hassle than FF is. I think it's Geno time!
The only other way I could see him being in the game (if he's not DLC) is if he's a mii costume to go along with the icon. Even then you'd think someone would have found it by now.

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Goddamn, this latest infodump took out Bandana Dee and Elma, two characters that I assumed were essentially locks. Geno’s hanging on by a “maybe just an icon/costume” thread, and we have roughly 200 Spirits left to be revealed. I still have hope, but things really are coming down to the wire here.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
More good news! PolarPanda's source made some statements about several boss characters back in early September and, based on information that has come out today, it's looking like there is now like a 95% chance they were true, adding even more fuel to the fire that the source has legit inside info.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Remember, we can't assume certain characters for Smash Bros are out entirely if they get spirits. Bandana Dee and Elma are still possible after all. Until all 5 DLC characters are revealed or if Geno has a spirit and is proven to be playable, we can't rule anything out.

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213
More good news! PolarPanda's source made some statements about several boss characters back in early September and, based on information that has come out today, it's looking like there is now like a 95% chance they were true, adding even more fuel to the fire that the source has legit inside info.
Goddammit you guys. If Geno is really in, ya'll buying me some tissues.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
... maybe the theme of DLC is going to be third party characters that have had strong relationships with Nintendo IPs. Of possible prospects, Super Mario RPG, Rayman, Minecraft, Hyrule Warriors, and even Banjo Kazooie all have this in common. It'd totally make sense with everything shown off in the last day.

MattX20

Smash Hero
... maybe the theme of DLC is going to be third party characters that have had strong relationships with Nintendo IPs. Of possible prospects, Super Mario RPG, Rayman, Minecraft, Hyrule Warriors, and even Banjo Kazooie all have this in common. It'd totally make sense with everything shown off in the last day.
Same could even be argued for Shantae too for all we know.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Thank you!! This is so lit!!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Same could even be argued for Shantae too for all we know.
Very true. Geno's pretty upfront for obvious reasons, Banjo technically started his life as a DK character, Minecraft and Rayman have had a ton of Mario content in their respective games, and Hyrule Warriors is basically the first successful international Zelda spin-off by a third party. I think I'll start making weird wheezing-laughing noises if this actually puts a Pokemon Go rep on the table.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Sadly bandana Dee was seen as a spirit.

Rip my young friend.

I don't think spirits deconfirm though. But hitagi does.

Geno not being a spirit is still a plus though. I think

link2702

Smash Champion
Just another friendly reminder guys hype responsibly... we don’t know anything for sure. Remember all the other hype cycles we’ve went through...

I’ve got my fingers crossed and my hopes up as well, but we’ve been burned before...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just another friendly reminder guys hype responsibly... we don’t know anything for sure. Remember all the other hype cycles we’ve went through...
We know, but it is definitely fair to say that his chances are REALLY high!

MattX20

Smash Hero

Rip my young friend.

Again, we shouldn't take anything Hitagi says seriously. Until we see all 5 DLC characters, we can't say that is true.

D

Deleted member

Rip my young friend.

Spirits definitely do not deconfirm, since Daisy and Wii Fit Trainer are spirits and in their base design, and spirits replace trophies, and Mewtwo and Lucas were trophies in Smash 4 before they were DLC. This goes to show how Hitagi is even less credible now

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This also goes along with the rumors that Square Enix unironically tried to get Cloud in as paid DLC a second time, going perfectly along with our theory that Square doesn't want to move a pointy hair spike if they're not getting paid extra for it and are trying to do as little work as possible for the most money.

djgwiz

Smash Apprentice
Can we still expect a Geno update this Thursday/next week like you mentioned above?

D

Deleted member

This also goes along with the rumors that Square Enix unironically tried to get Cloud in as paid DLC a second time, going perfectly along with our theory that Square doesn't want to move a pointy hair spike if they're not getting paid extra for it and are trying to do as little work as possible for the most money.
I see what you did there....

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
I get the argument that "Lucas and Mewtwo were trophies before being DLC and Spirits replace trophise so Spirits don't deconfirm" and all that, but I have this sort of gut feeling that while Spirits don't deconfirm characters, they do lower their chances in getting in as DLC. Trophies in the past titles were just collectibles and didn't actually do anything, but Spirits can actually be used in battle and gameplay and such. I just don't think that saying trophies and Spirits are around the same thing is entirely true. Not trying to be disrespectful or anything like that; I still think that Spirits don't deconfirm, just possibly lower chances.

TBone06

Smash Ace

Rip my young friend.

Where is everyone seeing all of this information on spirits? BWD and Elma were seen?

paper roxy

Smash Ace
I get the argument that "Lucas and Mewtwo were trophies before being DLC and Spirits replace trophise so Spirits don't deconfirm" and all that, but I have this sort of gut feeling that while Spirits don't deconfirm characters, they do lower their chances in getting in as DLC. Trophies in the past titles were just collectibles and didn't actually do anything, but Spirits can actually be used in battle and gameplay and such. I just don't think that saying trophies and Spirits are around the same thing is entirely true. Not trying to be disrespectful or anything like that; I still think that Spirits don't deconfirm, just possibly lower chances.
the fact that multiple playable characters have spirits make the idea of spirits deconfirming seem ignorant tbh

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Helps the case against Sora, DQ, and Chrono even more, because in those cases they have to share “their cut” of each DLC sale with other companies. Geno doesn’t have that same issue, making his only viable competition another FF rep, which would bring Nintendo back to Music Licensing Hell. However, SMRPG’s composer is already working with them on the base game, so that’s not even an issue with Geno.

Spirits definitely do not deconfirm, since Daisy and Wii Fit Trainer are spirits and in their base design, and spirits replace trophies, and Mewtwo and Lucas were trophies in Smash 4 before they were DLC. This goes to show how Hitagi is even less credible now
the fact that multiple playable characters have spirits make the idea of spirits deconfirming seem ignorant tbh
That’s misinformation, Daisy and WFT are “Fighter Spirits”, which aren’t equippable and are treated differently than other kinds of Spirits. I don’t believe Hitagi either, but that’s not how Spirits work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom