• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHJason95

Smash Cadet
NNID
KHJason20
Switch FC
SW-4391-8530-5723
If I have to wish for a 2nd Square Enix rep and SORA can't make the cut. It's this guy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's been a long road, me boys, plus the anti-Geno memes really don't help. It's like the post Brawl days all over again and it's big reason why I pulled back a lot for Geno support during the SSB4 days. The crazy thing was that we were vindicated in the end. Everything we theorized about Geno in the Brawl days proved to be right: tons going for him but Square ultimately said no. I can't emphasize enough how much of a bombshell that Nintendo Dream article in early 2016 was. Eight years later and we were literally right about everything. Like GameExplain said "well... I guess we live in a universe where Geno was seriously considered for Smash." I once again feel like we're in another situation where Square has to once again flat out say no for it not to happen again.
Well, I think (and hope) that Square Enix said no to Geno in Brawl because there was no DLC and they were still trying to have a better relationship with Nintendo. Geno had the Mii costume in Smash 4 and Super Mario RPG was on the SNES Classic, and he is a battle token in Ultimate. C'mon Square Enix, don't screw him over

KHJason95

Smash Cadet
NNID
KHJason20
Switch FC
SW-4391-8530-5723
Well, I think (and hope) that Square Enix said no to Geno in Brawl because there was no DLC and they were still trying to have a better relationship with Nintendo. Geno had the Mii costume in Smash 4 and Super Mario RPG was on the SNES Classic, and he is a battle token in Ultimate. C'mon Square Enix, don't screw him over
Please SQUARE ENIX, don't make Geno angry!

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I should hopefully be hearing more on these Geno rumors from within NoA this upcoming Thursday or the following week... I'll be surprised if I hear no more about Geno before VGAs/Release.

Figured I'd provide an update, sorry I've been so busy.
I don't think there will be much said this week because of Thanksgiving. I expect a slow work week for almost every US company in the world. Including mine!~

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
If the DLC turns out to be only 5 characters and they don't announce anything later on, I really hope Geno doesn't get bashed too hard if he's in. These DLC slots are super competitive, and I'm sure there will be some sort of animosity to seeing an obscure side character from an obscure RPG that no one knows about Geno over other picks.

D

Deleted member

If the DLC turns out to be only 5 characters and they don't announce anything later on, I really hope Geno doesn't get bashed too hard if he's in. These DLC slots are super competitive, and I'm sure there will be some sort of animosity to seeing an obscure side character from an obscure RPG that no one knows about Geno over other picks.
Considering how many people want him, that shouldn't be too much of an issue. Well, the only people who would do that are Sora fans, and they deserve it after all the time they spent harassing us Geno fans

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I'm more worried about if he doesn't get in myself. Sure, if he does get in, we'll get some flak from the usual haters and Waluigi/Paper Mario/Toad fans for "stealing his spot", but if he doesn't get in, Geno fans will likely never be taken seriously again. Day after day, we'll be met with endless jeers of "give it up, grandpa, Geno's never gonna be in Smash" and "Geno doesn't deserve to be in, get over it". Basically, everywhere we go will be GameFAQs for us. We already had it bad after Brawl, if Geno misses the boat again after his perceived chances were at an all-time high, we as a fanbase are gonna be ostracized to hell and back in future Smash cycles and the backlash of even mentioning Geno will be nigh impossible to come back from. That's what I'm afraid of.

Last edited:

KHJason95

Smash Cadet
NNID
KHJason20
Switch FC
SW-4391-8530-5723
Considering how many people want him, that shouldn't be too much of an issue. Well, the only people who would do that are Sora fans, and they deserve it after all the time they spent harassing us Geno fans
As both a Geno and Sora fan, I embrace both sides of the coin. But to be fair, Geno and Sora are competing for popularity.

D

Deleted member

I'm more worried about if he doesn't get in myself. Sure, if he does get in, we'll get some flak from the usual haters and Waluigi/Paper Mario/Toad fans for "stealing his spot", but if he doesn't get in, Geno fans will likely never be taken seriously again. Day after day, we'll be met with endless jeers of "give it up, grandpa, Geno's never gonna be in Smash" and "Geno doesn't deserve to be in, get over it". Basically, everywhere we go will be GameFAQs for us. We already had it bad after Brawl, if Geno misses the boat again after his perceived chances were at an all-time high, we as a fanbase are gonna be ostracized to hell and back in future Smash cycles and the backlash of even mentioning Geno will be nigh impossible to come back from. That's what I'm afraid of.
K. He has to be in

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

This dropped today, providing evidence that Square Enix doesn't appear to have any spirits yet despite 448 already being shown. Notable characters that did pop up though that not everyone may have caught:

-Paper Mario
-Mach Rider
-Octolings (if people believe spirits are discomfirmations then they were pretty much quintuple discomfirmed here)
-Pretty much every Rhythm Heaven character
-Impa
-Lots of Kingdom Battle characters
-Just about every DK character you might remotely care about
-Felix and Matthew from Golden Sun
-Pretty much all the missing assist trophies including Saki

Notable MIA characters:

-Anything Square Enix
-Elma or anything Xenoblade X for that matter
-Anyone from Hyrule Warriors
-Bandana Waddle Dee (there is a regular Waddle Dee but that's splitting hairs)
-Rayman

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This dropped today, providing evidence that Square Enix doesn't appear to have any spirits yet despite 448 already being shown. Notable characters that did pop up though that not everyone may have caught:

-Paper Mario
-Mach Rider
-Octolings (if people believe spirits are discomfirmations then they were pretty much quintuple discomfirmed here)
-Impa
-Pretty much all the missing assist trophies including Saki

Notable MIA characters:

-Anything Square Enix
-Rayman
And Shantae

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

-Paper Mario
-Mach Rider
-Impa

Notable MIA characters:

-Anything Square Enix
-Rayman
One thing to note in regards to HW that makes this even more suspicious is that the only Koei Tecmo content in the entire game thus far is Yuri. So, good to know of that.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm honestly more shocked at the lack of Hyrule Warriors content than Square Enix stuff just being a complete ghost. I'm pretty sure like 75% of the Smash fanbase would have a stroke if Lana or Linkle was chosen as a DLC character.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm honestly more shocked at the lack of Hyrule Warriors content than Square Enix stuff just being a complete ghost. I'm pretty sure like 75% of the Smash fanbase would have a stroke if Lana or Linkle was chosen as a DLC character.
I would laugh and be happy if that happened, since Linkle would get to be a legendary hero (let's face it, Sakurai would be inclined towards picking her rather than Lana).

D

Deleted member

Maybe that's why they chose not to add Skull Kid, since they could add Lana or Linkle as DLC

djgwiz

Smash Apprentice
So to confirm, Geno has been sighted as an online icon but not as a spirit?
Dang if so after that Gamexplain spirits vid that looks really good for him, Bandana Waddle-Dee, Rayman, and the other examples Fatmanonice gave.

I'm hoping Fatmanonice Fatmanonice and PolarPanda PolarPanda are right about that NoA source~

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
Any signs of Paper Bowser as a Spirit?

Dang if so after that Gamexplain spirits vid that looks really good for him, Bandana Waddle-Dee, Rayman, and the other examples Fatmanonice gave.

I'm hoping Fatmanonice Fatmanonice and PolarPanda PolarPanda are right about that NoA source~
I'm assuming Geno is going to be a Spirit at this point personally, but if he's only a Online Icon then it'd shock me a lot more. As well. I'm also aware of what PolarPanda has said and can back it up.

What's most interesting is the lack of SE And Elma.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
Notable MIA characters:

-Anything Square Enix
-Rayman
Pretty suspicious when things like TeleroBoxer (who I presume will involve a Metal Little Mac fight) get a spirit and yet none of these were featured. They're all fairly big requests, too (If you count Hyrule Warriors as just "New Zelda Rep", which while not specific, is something people have wanted).

Notably, there's also no Tales of or Tekken Spirits.

Granted, there's also the thought of characters from companies not represented yet (like Microsoft/RARE or SNK).

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I feel like Geno is in the most interesting position out of all the potential newcomers because he is the only popular request to be shown off as an online icon rather than a spirit like most others.

Paperluigi11

Smash Cadet
I don't think Geno would catch much flak from Paper Mario fans. Paper Mario is my most wanted, but I think most fans of the Mario RPG's would just like some character representation no matter which character it was.

Last edited:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software. For your own safety, please do not increase your hype above the normal level.

Last edited:

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
I should hopefully be hearing more on these Geno rumors from within NoA this upcoming Thursday or the following week... I'll be surprised if I hear no more about Geno before VGAs/Release.

It's okay, I'm just happy that you're giving us an update at all. It gives us even more hope and makes me cautiously optimistic and super excited!

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Guys I guaranteed you he’s a spirit

No way in heck 448 is all of them

It’s just images you can find on the web

Geno should be one

But doesn’t matter mewtwo and Lucas kill the arguement of spirits/trophies in farm can’t be playable sine they are collectible in smash 4 should be the same case here

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628

Your icon. X_X I'm sorry, I'm just so enchanted and I have to know where you got it :O

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hyrule Warriors is a pretty notable absence especially since it's gotten 3 games on 3 different systems in 4 years and how other Zelda games made by other companies like Oracle of Ages/Seasons were represented by Spirits. Plus, if it were picked, it'd bring some really good remixes of classic Zelda themes. Skull Kid/Midna/Ghirahim/Impa/etc fans would be pissed though. "Link, Young Link, Toon Link, and now, Girl Link!" The upside is that Linkle fights absolutely nothing like Link. The reason why I place Linkle over Lana is because fans literally demanded that she was added when the Hyrule Warriors concept art leaked so, even if it's not Smash related, she's the reason for one of the most successful Nintendo fan campaigns in the last decade.

Add in: Although, with Kaptain K. Rool being a spirit and Ocarina of Time Impa being a spirit, I don't see why Hyrule Warriors Impa couldn't be playable... (please oh please oh please oh please...)

Last edited:

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace
Hyrule Warriors is a pretty notable absence especially since it's gotten 3 games on 3 different systems in 4 years and how other Zelda games made by other companies like Oracle of Ages/Seasons were represented by Spirits. Plus, if it were picked, it'd bring some really good remixes of classic Zelda themes. Skull Kid/Midna/Ghirahim/Impa/etc fans would be pissed though. "Link, Young Link, Toon Link, and now, Girl Link!" The upside is that Linkle fights absolutely nothing like Link. The reason why I place Linkle over Lana is because fans literally demanded that she was added when the Hyrule Warriors concept art leaked so, even if it's not Smash related, she's the reason for one of the most successful Nintendo fan campaigns in the last decade.
Unrelated to your post but quick question, who is PolarPanda? I missed the last 20 or so pages of the thread so i might have missed seeing them the first time around.

djgwiz

Smash Apprentice
Unrelated to your post but quick question, who is PolarPanda? I missed the last 20 or so pages of the thread so i might have missed seeing them the first time around.
They're a person who's been posting in this thread saying they know a Nintendo ambassador that claims there's talk of Geno at NoA right now. PolarPanda's source has been verified by dm or otherwise by other users Fatmanonice and Rummy.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Person who has a connection with a Nintendo ambassador that several of us have been able to confirm is a real person with a decently long and close history with Nintendo. Apparently rumors have been going around NoA about a certain someone for a couple of months now. I won't reveal the source but, going through their past statements (on multiple sites but I won't disclose which), they've been right about a lot of things months in advance, including new and returning assist trophies as far back as August. Based on the source's position, I feel they have little incentive to lie. At worst, they may have been misled but, as of yet, they haven't been wrong about anything. Despite being an ambassador, they are pretty low-key due to their position which is why you don't see them on a soapbox like Vergeben. For their safety, me and a number of the senior Geno thread members are keeping specific details under wraps.

Last edited:

owjies

Smash Journeyman
I agree, but at the same time I just kind of leave the haters be at this point. All I need is this: "Geno was actually a character I wanted to include as a fighter. He has a gun for an arm, and just seems like he'd fit absolutely perfectly into Smash" – Sakurai. I don't need to debate with them anymore because the debate is over. Geno is worthy.

It's unfortunate that he's a 2nd/3rd party character because it's clear that Geno would've been in the game for ten+ years now if Nintendo owned him back in Brawl. These third party slots are insanely competitive, so I can understand why Geno hasn't quite made the cut. If anything, that's what hurts most as a Geno fan. He's never out of it. He's always seemingly next in line.

D

Deleted member

It is unlikely that Nintendo wouldn't add Geno, but Nintendo would miss out on so much by not doing so. They would miss out on making Sakurai and the other Geno fans happy. They would miss out on completing the holy trinity. Without Geno, there would be a huge gap that no other character could fill. They would miss out on perfectly being able to represent the cult classic that is Super Mario RPG and the start of the relationship between them and Square Enix. They would miss out on being able to create an official 3D and HD model of Geno. They would miss out on an official remix of Forest Maze. They would miss out on being able to create a reveal trailer for him with CGI. They would miss out on an opportunity for a remake or sequel of Super Mario RPG. And, most importantly, they would miss out on revitalizing Geno, and he will almost certainly never be acknowledged again. Sakurai wants this character, Square Enix had given Sakurai and Nintendo the rights to him. Now, it is all up to Nintendo. They could either fulfill the hopes and dreams of every single Geno fan as well as the creator of the Super Smash Bros series, or they could be absolutely destroy them

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
It is unlikely that Nintendo wouldn't add Geno, but Nintendo would miss out on so much by not doing so. They would miss out on making Sakurai and the other Geno fans happy. They would miss out on completing the holy trinity. Without Geno, there would be a huge gap that no other character could fill. They would miss out on perfectly being able to represent the cult classic that is Super Mario RPG and the start of the relationship between them and Square Enix. They would miss out on being able to create an official 3D and HD model of Geno. They would miss out on an official remix of Forest Maze. They would miss out on being able to create a reveal trailer for him with CGI. They would miss out on an opportunity for a remake or sequel of Super Mario RPG. And, most importantly, they would miss out on revitalizing Geno, and he will almost certainly never be acknowledged again. Sakurai wants this character, Square Enix had given Sakurai and Nintendo the rights to him. Now, it is all up to Nintendo. They could either fulfill the hopes and dreams of every single Geno fan as well as the creator of the Super Smash Bros series, or they could be absolutely destroy them
Don't forget, Sakurai's basically Nintendo's golden boy and has been for a while now. Nintendo has displayed a willingness to literally bend over backwards for this guy, so I don't doubt that a little corporate arm-twisting could have gone on behind the scenes to get one of his most wanted characters in the game. For how major of a figure he is to them, it'd shock me if Sakurai had absolutely no input whatsoever on what characters come out of their selection.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
Riiight because Geno fans totally haven't done the same to Sora fans in the past. Nope not at all, it's not like the **** happens on both sides or anything, nope definetely not that's just a myth. Everyone knows Geno fans are perfect angels that can do no wrong, and most importantly can't be assholes. If you couldn't tell that was sarcasm.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Riiight because Geno fans totally haven't done the same to Sora fans in the past. Nope not at all, it's not like the **** happens on both sides or anything, nope definetely not that's just a myth. Everyone knows Geno fans are perfect angels that can do no wrong, and most importantly can't be ********. If you couldn't tell that was sarcasm.
Jesus, man, what Geno fan hurt you?

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
User was warned for this post; double posting(Please edit your messages instead)

That’s right, it was you who said the info about Geno’s name being thrown around at Nintendo. I keep forgetting your name, sorry. And thank you so much for sharing this with us, Polar. :)

Add in: Although, with Kaptain K. Rool being a spirit and Ocarina of Time Impa being a spirit, I don't see why Hyrule Warriors Impa couldn't be playable... (please oh please oh please oh please...)
We are definitely due for a Legend of Zelda rep; we haven’t had one since Brawl. I was actually surprised that Skull Kid was confirmed to be an assist trophy.

What's most interesting is the lack of SE And Elma.
Yeah, Square’s strict when there’s other companies or third-parties representing their content. I don’t know why they’re so picky about it, but that’s just how their code of honor is, and we still have to respect it. Cloud wasn’t even shown in the World of Light trailer, and my guess is Square didn’t want him to show up at that time either because that probably would’ve costed a leg from Nintendo or Sakurai, and they definitely didn’t want to pay for his appearance in the World of Light cinematic trailer. Not to mention that he’s already free in the base game, and Sakurai definitely had to do a lot to get Cloud to return in the next Smash game AS part of the base roster... oh man, that definitely costed an arm or two.

Even in Superstar Saga, Geno’s mentioning in the ending credits was there for crediting Square. I know that Geno cameo costed a hand to put him in the game, which is probably why he didn’t make a return in the remake because Nintendo or AlphaDream didn’t want to go through the trouble of bringing back a cameo that’s very expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom