• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

link2702

Smash Champion
for a new smrpg i would like

- new updated designs to geno and mallow to show they have progressed
- new secret boss fight
- more in depth story, more locations
- johnny jones as the new playable team member
- completely new weapons for all characters
- long post game content
- some cameos from popular mario characters.
- luigi is also playable
- i want to switch characters i can play in the overworld ( i dont want to be just mario in the overworld)
I would definitely be on board with Johnny jones playable.

Idk how they could change up geno too much though, he’s a Star spirit who possesses a doll, the doll should technically be the same age/core design.

Here’s something weird to think about; what if in a new game, the star spirit can possess different dolls for different abilities? Like the original geno doll is one, but later on in the game he chooses other dolls to and you could swap between em?

I know some backlash might happen since his original form is so iconic (kinda how it’s more the power suit of samus that is the iconic part of her) but from a story standpoint it could still make sense, he could possess any doll he really wanted, and it would open some neat gameplay ideas.

Robertroid

Smash Apprentice
Things I'd want:

-Balancing for Bowser's special moves. All of them suck. There's literally no point in ever using them especially when Geno and Mallow's are that much better.

-Hard mode. Honestly a really easy thing to do with RPGs.

-At least one new playable character. I think SMRPG had the opposite problem of Chrono Trigger, finishing the playable character cast too early rather than too late. With Chrono Trigger, you have to hardcore grind with Magus if you want him to be any good and even then he joins during the end game side quests. There's plenty of time between Marrymore and Smithy for another character.

-Like someone else said, boss rematches like in the Mario and Luigi games.

-A higher coin cap. 999 was not enough and made some side quests a pain.

-More secret bosses. Culex is one of the coolest bosses in Mario history and I want more of that. I've always liked the idea of Frogfucious or Monster Mama being a secret boss.

-Post game content but I don't know exactly what...

-Finally, a highly stylized graphic style. I'm thinking along the lines of Kirby and the Rainbow Curse or Yoshi's Crafted World.
That's how his role works: High basic damage, high defense, low spell damage, low spell defense and low speed.
I agree that Bowser neeed to be better at magic, but that could cause him to deal and resist less basic damage, and that would hurt his role a bit.
So probably his magic has to be specific. Terrorize and poison gas were in the right direction...sadly they suck. So something along that way, that makes him not to use his specials everywhere, but when he needs to use it, it's super effective.

Well, things that I'd like to see
  • First, KEEP MARIO TRANSFORMING WHILE EXPLAINING. That's unchangeable for me
  • Widen item & equipment slots
  • Return of the whole cast if possible (from allies to villains)
  • Rework Group Hug and Come Back. Maybe they should start as sucky abilities that gain properties at certain Peach Lvl breakpoints.
  • Keep the graphics as is, but enhance'em to be hd sprites. No 3D please.
  • More silly jokes that Mario RPG is known for
  • Set the level limit higher. Around 50 would do
  • Let Luigi be in & on the party
  • Let Wario be in on the party. Would be fun to see him to interact with Booster, and using Terrapunch as an attack.
  • Have Yoshi be of more utility than just wander on an island and be an item summon.
  • Let some villains be part of the party. Jonathan Jones, Booster and Croco would be fun to see.
  • A new hidden boss, as deadly as Culex...I hope he's more relevant to the story
  • Said the point above, I'd love to see any representation of Culex, maybe to give a sidequest
  • Lots of secrets and easter eggs
  • Make some sidequest where Mario can meet other Nintendo IPs
  • Keep Mario personality the same, not trying to implement the personality from other games
  • Music from Shimamura Yoko. Accept no imitations!
  • Let Mario be off the party from a certain point in the game, much like Crono

Last edited:

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
That's how his role works: High basic damage, high defense, low spell damage, low spell defense and low speed.
I agree that Bowser neeed to be better at magic, but that could cause him to deal and resist less basic damage, and that would hurt his role a bit.
So probably his magic has to be specific. Terrorize and poison gas were in the right direction...sadly they suck. So something along that way, that makes him not to use his specials everywhere, but when he needs to use it, it's super effective.

Well, things that I'd like to see
  • First, KEEP MARIO TRANSFORMING WHILE EXPLAINING. That's unchangeable for me
  • Widen item & equipment slots
  • Return of the whole cast if possible (from allies to villains)
  • Rework Group Hug and Come Back. Maybe they should start as sucky abilities that gain properties at certain Peach Lvl breakpoints.
  • Keep the graphics as is, but enhance'em to be hd sprites. No 3D please.
  • More silly jokes that Mario RPG is known for
  • Set the level limit higher. Around 50 would do
  • Let Luigi be in & on the party
  • Let Wario be in on the party. Would be fun to see him to interact with Booster, and using Terrapunch as an attack.
  • Have Yoshi be of more utility than just wander on an island and be an item summon.
  • Let some villains be part of the party. Jonathan Jones, Booster and Croco would be fun to see.
  • A new hidden boss, as deadly as Culex...I hope he's more relevant to the story
  • Said the point above, I'd love to see any representation of Culex, maybe to give a sidequest
  • Lots of secrets and easter eggs
  • Make some sidequest where Mario can meet other Nintendo IPs
  • Keep Mario personality the same, not trying to implement the personality from other games
  • Music from Shimamura Yoko. Accept no imitations!
  • Let Mario be off the party from a certain point in the game, much like Crono
No 3d? Ehhhh i think seeing Geno in 3d besides in smash would be cool or better graphics like super star saga or it's remake if not 3d.

Last edited:

Robertroid

Smash Apprentice
No 3d? Ehhhh i think seeing Geno in 3d besides in smash would be cool or better graphics like super star saga or it's remake if not 3d.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it in 3d in other contexts, especially Geno <3. But, our RPG was made with an aesthetic vision in mind, that's why they look like play-doh figurines rather than "generic" top-down spriteful art that was around that time (FF, Chrono, BoF, Lufia, etc.). And I feel that vision was perfect for the kind of game that is SMRPG.
I wouldn't mind if, say, Chrono Trigger would jump to 3d, since although visually impressive for that time, it's goal wasn't to show any aesthetically awesome. But if SMRPG would change to 3d, I fear part of its charisma would be lost. Think for example Yoshi's Island and its sequels. As for me, I feel no sequel haven't match the impact and "blend" of its visuals with the game perception. Wooly is different case, and probably the right way to go.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it in 3d in other contexts, especially Geno <3. But, our RPG was made with an aesthetic vision in mind, that's why they look like play-doh figurines rather than "generic" top-down spriteful art that was around that time (FF, Chrono, BoF, Lufia, etc.). And I feel that vision was perfect for the kind of game that is SMRPG.
I wouldn't mind if, say, Chrono Trigger would jump to 3d, since although visually impressive for that time, it's goal wasn't to show any aesthetically awesome. But if SMRPG would change to 3d, I fear part of its charisma would be lost. Think for example Yoshi's Island and its sequels. As for me, I feel no sequel haven't match the impact and "blend" of its visuals with the game perception. Wooly is different case, and probably the right way to go.
I understand your point and agree, but also think about it this way. I compare SMRPG’s graphics to Donkey Kong Country’s, in that they kind of look like pixelated versions of 3D models. Donkey Kong Country imo managed to make the transition to 3D without losing the spirit of the aesthetic (achieved by some wonderful use of lighting). I think with the right color palette and camera, SMRPG could also work in 3D.

Another example is the 3DS Mario & Luigi games. Their spritework, combined with the 3D, gives an amazing feeling of depth. I think with a spritework that detailed, but keeping the style and proportions of SMRPG, it’s doable.

ZelDan

Smash Master
If there was a SMRPG remake, then make Luigi a playable character too.

I'd also like to see a whole new area to the main quest, that has you go through some new story stuff for the 4th star. I dunno, I always thought it was weird how much more uneventful that star was compared to the others.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Something I’ve thought of for a bit: Linking Star Road/Geno to Rosalina, the Lumas, and the Comet Observatory would be an interesting way to integrate him into the main series of Mario games or injecting in modern mario things to the RPG world if they ever did a sequel.

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice
What we really need in a SMRPG is Belome 3 to be the Ultra Secret Deluxe Boss.

Also a Belome spirit in Ultimate, he can posses Kirby.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Vege is saying Sora and Steve, plus a character from a Japanese exclusive game. The problem is, Nintendo gains no benefit from any of those characters, so I doubt they would have picked them.
do... You have any source about that ? Vergeben only said a Square Rep , he hear 7 differents names , and 3 of them were heard more often.

And I don't excpect the Square rep to be leaked tbh , the company is very aggresive towards leaks...

Or maybe you are talking about Hitagi , but I don't think he even talked about Sora...

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
do... You have any source about that ? Vergeben only said a Square Rep , he hear 7 differents names , and 3 of them were heard more often.

And I don't excpect the Square rep to be leaked tbh , the company is very aggresive towards leaks...

Or maybe you are talking about Hitagi , but I don't think he even talked about Sora...
Whoops. I thought both Verge and Hitagi were hinting about Sora.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
That's fine. I wouldn't give credit to Hitagi , he didn't leaked anything correctly yet and I don't see Katalina coming. Like , if Bomberman and Shovel knight can't be more than assist , I don't see a japanese exclusive mobile phone rep beeing a playable character.

Anyway , all we know for now is that there is a Square rep for DLC according to Vergeben. He could be wrong , we'll see.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Vege is saying Sora and Steve, plus a character from a Japanese exclusive game. The problem is, Nintendo gains no benefit from any of those characters, so I doubt they would have picked them.
If you're going to be so bold as to answer what the recent developments have been, you absolutely need to know your **** and fact check yourself. This is why no one actually knows what Vergeben has said this whole time because people just keep on saying he's said things that he hasn't. He has stated what he knows a dozen times man, it's not hard to keep in the loop with real info

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
If you're going to be so bold as to answer what the recent developments have been, you absolutely need to know your **** and fact check yourself. This is why no one actually knows what Vergeben has said this whole time because people just keep on saying he's said things that he hasn't. He has stated what he knows a dozen times man, it's not hard to keep in the loop with real info
Bro look up I already fixed what I said. Calm doooooooooooown.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Bro look up I already fixed what I said. Calm doooooooooooown.
I'm not uncalm, just sick of sick people passing around information they're either assuming or saw somebody else say it without actually looking into it themselves.

It takes a single click to go to Vergebens gamefaqs account and see his latest posts. He only posts a couple times a week so it isn't hard to keep up with

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229

I honestly think that the mini-games of SMRPG are underated. They aren't a lot of them , but the one that we got are really good in my opinion. They also are a nice way to have a change of pace after a boss battle , rather than finding the exit , and going directly to the next location.

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice
They aren't a lot of them.
You think so? I can't think on an RPG with more that this game, especially with how short this game is. It has:

-Midas River
-Toadfosky composing
-Yoshi racing
-Minecart racing
-Booster Tower Knife Guy
-Tunnel's whack-a-goomba
-Hill Beetle catching
-Paratroopa climbing
-Falling bridge crossing
-Blackjack
-The gameboy one from the kid

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
You think so? I can't think on an RPG with more that this game, especially with how short this game is. It has:

-Midas River
-Toadfosky composing
-Yoshi racing
-Minecart racing
-Booster Tower Knife Guy
-Tunnel's whack-a-goomba
-Hill Beetle catching
-Paratroopa climbing
-Falling bridge crossing
-Blackjack
oh , it seem that I missed some of them then. My bad , I only did one playthrough and it wasn't 100% completed ( I didn't beat Culex yet , but I have the shiny stone so I can at least try to beat him lol )

Robertroid

Smash Apprentice

-Midas River
-Toadfosky composing
-Yoshi racing
-Minecart racing
-Booster Tower Knife Guy
-Tunnel's whack-a-goomba
-Hill Beetle catching
-Paratroopa climbing
-Falling bridge crossing
-Blackjack
And the funny Grate Guy one's "look the other way"
NOT

D

Deleted member

In all seriousness, I would like a sequel or remake of SMRPG to have references to other Nintendo and Square Enix games

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
How about just a sequel, and it could play like the original mario rpg but be 3d and have new things too :) So long as they dont remove what made the original special. There's a reason I didnt play much the mario and luigi sagas. And Paper mario was good, but it still wasnt the same. (and has changed a lot anyway)

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
In all seriousness, I would like sequel or remake of SMRPG to have references to other Nintendo and Square Enix games
"The Quest of the Starsend Savior : Geno" featuring characters from the Mario , Pokemon , Zelda , FF , DQ , TWEWY franchise , and much more.

Geno as the protagonist of a huge Nintendo X Square Enix cross-over game would be fabulous. I don't care if it cost 70 bucks or more (and trust me , I have a pretty low budget) I'll buy this day one lol

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What we really need in a SMRPG is Belome 3 to be the Ultra Secret Deluxe Boss.

Also a Belome spirit in Ultimate, he can posses Kirby.
Is it weird that I want to know the back stories for a lot of bosses? What's up with Belome? Did he build his own temple? Do people worship him? Is he supposed to be an Old World God? A lot of shamans hang out around there. Are they priests? Is it a cult? Why is Belome's temple so easily accessed from Monstro Town? Do unreformed monsters get sacrificed?! Is that why everyone's so nice?! What's going on?!?

Booster, Valentina, Croco, and Johnny are others that deserve to be fleshed out more too.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Something I’ve thought of for a bit: Linking Star Road/Geno to Rosalina, the Lumas, and the Comet Observatory would be an interesting way to integrate him into the main series of Mario games or injecting in modern mario things to the RPG world if they ever did a seq
I'd love for this to happen, but I think Mario RPGs are in a separate universe from the main timeline if I'm not mistaken...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'd love for this to happen, but I think Mario RPGs are in a separate universe from the main timeline if I'm not mistaken...
Pretty much.

But then again, even Miyamoto himself doesn't treat Mario as having any solid continuity (since he envisions the cast as a theater troupe that performs in plays), so make of that as you will.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Toadette is in TTYD and Bowser Jr. is in both SS and CS. So even if the Paper Mario series is in a alternate universe from the main one, it wouldn't stop Nintendo from putting any Mario character in the Paper Mario series.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Holy ****, don’t scare me like that. lol

Don’t trust Hitagi, they haven’t even gotten anything right. Only trust Verge, nor did he even say anything Sora. Verge knows if he reveals all seven names on the list, he’s gonna get people fired; he’s smart enough to not do that. In other words... if it’s not Verge, trash it.

By the way, Verge did mention Geno and there’s some info being thrown around at Nintendo that Geno is in the talks. I don’t remember whose name it was that said this about Nintendo, but someone on this thread stated about this info. (The one with the Magolor profile pic.)

I might also be taking it too far with this one, and I said this before, but Vergeben mentioned “seven” Square characters... I mean, we all know Geno’s game was The Legend of the SEVEN Stars, and we all know it was his job to collect all SEVEN star pieces to restore Star Road.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Seeing that recent Delzethin video just makes me wish Geno were confirmed soon. I feel his pain

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Holy ****, don’t scare me like that. lol

Don’t trust Hitagi, they haven’t even gotten anything right. Only trust Verge, nor did he even say anything Sora. Verge knows if he reveals all seven names on the list, he’s gonna get people fired; he’s smart enough to not do that. In other words... if it’s not Verge, trash it.

By the way, Verge did mention Geno and there’s some info being thrown around at Nintendo that Geno is in the talks. I don’t remember whose name it was that said this about Nintendo, but someone on this thread stated about this info. (The one with the Magolor profile pic.)

I might also be taking it too far with this one, and I said this before, but Vergeben mentioned “seven” Square characters... I mean, we all know Geno’s game was The Legend of the SEVEN Stars, and we all know it was his job to collect all SEVEN star pieces to restore Star Road.
Something about the Verg/7 SE characters thing has confused me: Is it that he heard about 7 different characters from 7 different people? Or one person gave him a list of 7 different names? Because I find it strange for there to be 7 names floating around SE and somehow the only things that have been ""leaked"" are Geno and "DQ character". Sora wasn't even really leaked at all. How would putting out 7 different (mostly fake) names within a company even work? Like certain people were told to talk about certain characters? You'd think we would have heard of other SE characters by now if there were actually 7 names floating around within a company even if it's very secretive. It just seems really odd to me from a practical standpoint.

Last edited:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Something about the Verg/7 SE characters thing has confused me: Is it that he heard about 7 different characters from 7 different people? Or one person gave him a list of 7 different names? Because I find it strange for there to be 7 names floating around SE and somehow the only things that have been ""leaked"" are Geno and "DQ character". Sora wasn't even really leaked at all. How would putting out 7 different (mostly fake) names within a company even work? Like certain people were told to talk about certain characters? You'd think we would have heard of other SE characters by now if there were actually 7 names floating around within a company even if it's very secretive. It just seems really odd to me from a practical standpoint.
I'm pretty confident that Vergeben knows Geno is the SE rep, he just also know how rough is SE with the leakers. The 7 is just a Hint to it.

Am I being too paranoiac? Jeez I need some chalk.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Seeing that recent Delzethin video just makes me wish Geno were confirmed soon. I feel his pain

It's been a long road, me boys, plus the anti-Geno memes really don't help. It's like the post Brawl days all over again and it's big reason why I pulled back a lot for Geno support during the SSB4 days. The crazy thing was that we were vindicated in the end. Everything we theorized about Geno in the Brawl days proved to be right: tons going for him but Square ultimately said no. I can't emphasize enough how much of a bombshell that Nintendo Dream article in early 2016 was. Eight years later and we were literally right about everything. Like GameExplain said "well... I guess we live in a universe where Geno was seriously considered for Smash." I once again feel like we're in another situation where Square has to once again flat out say no for it not to happen again.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Inb4 any potential SMRPG remake turns into a FFVII REMAKE situation and the game stops being an RPG. MAN. Could you imagine that~?

:bowser:.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's been a long road, me boys, plus the anti-Geno memes really don't help. It's like the post Brawl days all over again and it's big reason why I pulled back a lot for Geno support during the SSB4 days. The crazy thing was that we were vindicated in the end. Everything we theorized about Geno in the Brawl days proved to be right: tons going for him but Square ultimately said no. I can't emphasize enough how much of a bombshell that Nintendo Dream article in early 2016 was. Eight years later and we were literally right about everything. Like GameExplain said "well... I guess we live in a universe where Geno was seriously considered for Smash." I once again feel like we're in another situation where Square has to once again flat out say no for it not to happen again.
Speaking of memes, I haven't seen the "Geno will blow up Japan if he's not in" one again yet.

Inb4 any potential SMRPG remake turns into a FFVII REMAKE situation and the game stops being an RPG. MAN. Could you imagine that~?

:bowser:.
Some people in the world don't want to go through the motions of turns and want to bash the skulls of monsters as quick as possible.

I should know, because I have a friend who is mostly just interested in Pokémon as far as turn-based RPGs go.

Besides, I think a remake would be more along the lines of M&L's remakes than anything, with a bit of graphical updating like Kirby Super Star Ultra (which also had prerendered CGI).

Last edited:

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I should hopefully be hearing more on these Geno rumors from within NoA this upcoming Thursday or the following week... I'll be surprised if I hear no more about Geno before VGAs/Release.

Figured I'd provide an update, sorry I've been so busy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom