• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
There’s also the fact that literally any day now an early copy will surface and further confirm/deconfirm another huge swathe of characters as Spirits, further narrowing down the possibilities. This is legitimately the home stretch for some pretty big names in this speculation season like Geno, BWD and Elma, and depending on who shows up in the full game we might see a bunch more knocked down like Rayman, Wonder Red, Phoenix Wright, Lloyd, etc.

A mod literally just told you to take it to PMs, calm down... or don’t and take it to said PMs, either one.
That person should have taken it to PM's as well

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
It’s not cool to **** on characters period, especially when it’s the Geno thread and we of all people should know just how grating and annoying it gets for people to just be mean about characters as we do have communities like GameFAQs or pockets in every major outlet for Smash discussion, including here, have people utterly appalled at the idea we would ever want Geno in Smash and actively hate that support. We’re the most polarizing fan base in Smash I’d wager, so it’s just not in our interest to make the rhetoric surrounding us worse.

That said, I do have a couple of observations:
1. Character bashing can be difficult to define. Support threads have always been particularly senstitive places and are by design meant to be a sort of Echo chamber. There’s a lot more nuance to discussions and I don’t necessarily agree that discussing a character as “boring” should be as such. If it’s clearly used as an insult and as an attack, then of course it’s bashing. But I think you can voice the opinion of a character being boring and engage with the community using that as a point of reference (though the support thread is likely to get overly reactionary, which does make sense). Maybe I just want our support threads to look at criticism and discussion of certain chances/things as less immediately offensive. But again, there is a lot of nuance that available that can and is usually lost.

2. People have an overwhelming bad tendency to blame a fan base for a person’s actions. While this is admittedly true of all things in life, online, people seem to take that especially far where I think people sometimes are glad they have one fan’s actions to then make “legitimate” complains against the fan base. It’s bull****, but it’s something I’ve seen several times and we really should do our best to not add to those fires as tempting as lashing out can be.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
That person should have taken it to PM's as well
That person you replied to... is not the original person who called you out, though. Matt or whoever hasn’t replied here since, and any beef you have with him should be moved to PMs.

Anyway, to shift the topic once again to greener discussions...

I still want Geno’s Up-B to be an original move playing off his light weight as a doll, with a single timed shot from his arm with high ...self-knockback(forget the correct term right now, recoil?) that you can aim wherever you want. It’d be really quite neat as a way to easily show how much of a glass cannon he is, and not something particularly seen in the game before.

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Ok I’ve been avoiding posting here lately because it has been getting too toxic lately.

Seriously us geno fans at one time were considered some of the more friendly groups, even with many haters.

But it doesn’t feel that way recently. Yes I’m sure some here are sick of explaining all the positives that increase geno’s chances compared to other characters from sakurai bias, fan demand, and Nintendo acknowledgment, yes I know people are sick of explaining all the loopholes sora or a dq rep might have to go through, and yes I know some are fed up of the haters who trash geno fans and the character all the time.

But the attitude lately has been pretty bad towards even other geno fans who maybe just feel he isn’t that guaranteed lock for dlc that some others feel he is(which just remember, time and time again we thought he was a lock before for base, and we were wrong)

I know I’m sounding annoying probably right now, but once again, I just feel we’d be better off discussing other things than geno’s chances atm
Things feel toxic because it's the postgame and definitive parameters have been set. A lot of popular characters got shot down in the last Direct and there's the stark reality that there's only 5 left meaning there will be winners and losers, with the losers probably having to wait 4-6 years for another chance. This is especially hard for the fanbases who have been turned down multiple times as Sakurai very rarely goes into his reasons why. That said, people are super defensive if still in the running and probably some degree of bitter if they're not. Naturally, this leads to a lot of clashes across borders.
I still dream of a world where the grinch leak was true , with DLCs to allow characters like Dixie and Lloyd to join the fun... *sigh*

I may sound ungrateful , but if it was real , we wouldn't be where we are today... Not that the game's roster is bad or anything , but the last direct kinda killed the hype for a lot of people , not even because of the characters revealed. And because of that , I got the feeling that most people are more pessimistic or "realistic" than before , and this make conversations with more positive supporters pretty hard to support... I tried to do a DLC Wishlist / Speculation to give some positivity , and I started another conversation between 2 complete opposed sides... Like the most I read about my list was " i would put Elma somewhere" and nothing more , except for someone mentionning that this many third party is a bit too much (Wich I can respect)...

I hope we can talk more about Geno's character or SMRPG as a whole. Or even sharing art , videos about him... Heck , anything beside 2 complete opposed sides trying to prove their points once again...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Drop the off-topic drama stuff. It's been taken care of. And the PM's were only meant between WaddleMatt and PsychoIncarnate.

There is no need to "call someone out". The moderation is taking care of it otherwise. Let it go. Get back to talking about Geno, please.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Can you just not?

The guy himself is playing tribalistic bs.
You heard the man. Take it to the PM's.

I still want Geno’s Up-B to be an original move playing off his light weight as a doll, with a single timed shot from his arm with high ...self-knockback(forget the correct term right now, recoil?) that you can aim wherever you want. It’d be really quite neat as a way to easily show how much of a glass cannon he is, and not something particularly seen in the game before.
I feel like a glass cannon Geno would have some people mad. If we ever get geno, it's be funny to see him top tier. As for your idea, Geno should be a light and small fighter to begin with.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You heard the man. Take it to the PM's.

I feel like a glass cannon Geno would have some people mad. If we ever get geno, it's be funny to see him top tier. As for your idea, Geno should be a light and small fighter to begin with.
Can you just not

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Okay, here's something to open things up to something else... Suppose they did a remaster of SMRPG, what would you want different and what new things would you all like?
-Luigi and Boshi as optional party member ! I think Luigi should be similar to Mario , but more exagerated , like his normal jump could be as high as his ultra jump in Super Paper Mario , but have a very low HP count.

-Remixed music like what they did with Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga plus Bowser's Minions.

-Updated graphics obviously. Even if they keep the room by room system , I hope they upgrade the models and attacks animations ( Just imagine Geno Blast in HD !)

-Re-balancing some characters. Peach is over-powered , and Mallow isn't a focused character imo. By that I mean he's trying to be a mage good at evrything but also has melee weapons that do the job decent but... I think he's slightly underwhelming in every area. Also buff a little bit Bowser's magic. i'm fine with how Mario and Geno are.

-A way to re-fight the boss a la Mario and Luigi. I know we can refight the boss in Smithy's factory , but I would love to fight a even more powerful Yaridovich that can make like 4 clones of him lol

-I want Mario to be followed by the other party members while beeing in the map. I know this would be impossible for platforming challenges , but imagine swapping between Mario and Peach so that you could use her umbrella to slow down your descent after a jump , but she has a lower jump. Or even Mallow making cloud to stand on !

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Mogisthelioma Mogisthelioma Yes, this means for you to drop it too. Let the Mods take care of it.

This is also the final warning for the thread. Any warnings will no longer be verbal if this drama continues. Move on, please.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Okay, here's something to open things up to something else... Suppose they did a remaster of SMRPG, what would you want different and what new things would you all like?
More sidequests, secret party members would be awesome, maybe a way to visit star road? So you could meet all of Geno's friends or whatever. That'd be awesome. I honestly want a sequel much more than a remake though.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
On the topic of Super Mario RPG, I wish Peach got a new move or two from the game. With all of the changes to other characters, I feel like giving Peach something new could serve her well from the game.

Especially with regards to final Smash... that’s still super disappointing that Peach and Daisy have the same final Smash...

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Add'Em 5 fighting together.
Yoshi as a Character too.
Please don't take off the silly jokes (Although I think a Remastered Version is impossible, Just a Remake)
Would love too see HD Sprites and Original Sprites (Like Octopath Traveler, so you can Have both options to choose when you play)

AugustusB

Smash Champion
A lot of people brought up some great stuff.

I personally would like some post game content. Maybe a revamped Culex boss fight? Secret Dungeon in Star Road maybe?

RingJ5

Smash Ace
I’m talking featherweight tier, like Jigglypuff and Mewtwo. He’d be pretty damaging(especially if you time your hits correctly), but super-easy to send flying.

As for the move itself, the “issue” he has is that the move with “Boost” in the name is purely stat-based and has no aerial recovery in his home game, and the move where he turns into a cannon is the perfect Final Smash. So personally, I think that something relatively original that plays off the whole “giant amount of power in a tiny wooden form” thing could work quite well.

Last edited:

Xigger

Smash Lord
If there were a remaster of SMRPG, then I would expect new features and sidequests, probably not a lot of new main-game content or characters.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
On the topic of Super Mario RPG, I wish Peach got a new move or two from the game. With all of the changes to other characters, I feel like giving Peach something new could serve her well from the game.

Especially with regards to final Smash... that’s still super disappointing that Peach and Daisy have the same final Smash...
I personally hate Peach's moveset. It's largely uninspired and relies on love magic and some random things. There's a good amount of things they can pull from games to make her better.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
New side quests, characters, and a fixed translation that from time to time will reference some of the original "Ted Woolsey" text. Also, I hope they don't get rid of Geno's ability to one shot Exor.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I guess a camera that is in the isometric position by default, but can be freely controlled with the left stick. That'd be nice. And a more cinematic battle system, something like pokemon where the camera pans around, but does it's own thing when attacks are being made.

I wouldn't want the story or mechanics to change too much. And I hope the art style can be improved without conforming to the typical art style you see in New Super Mario Bros. Part of the charm of the game for me is how different it feels from the rest of Mario's world ( although I guess back then Mario's world was less established, and I used to use SMRPG as a reference when thinking about Mario's World )

I'd like to see all the unique characters return, and something be done to make generic characters stand out more, like Raz and Raini, Gaz and his Mother, The Seaside Town Elder, Monstro Mama, ect.

Would be pretty cool if the characters actually changed appearance if you bought new armor for them.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Minecraft content, yes, but Hitagi has heavily backtracked on the idea of Steve being playable, hasn’t got anything Smash-related right yet, and Vergeben hasn’t specified a character either. Could be as small as music, but is most likely a stage. Especially considering that a giant amount of Steve’s potential arsenal would be shared by none other than Link, between the sword, bow, and explosives.
I always thought MC would be represented in Spirits, such as having a Steve or Creeper spirit. Something with "some" means not too much, so you could be right about a music track. I'm expecting either music tracks, spirits, or a stage. Think about it, a music track makes sense because there ARE other franchises that have music tracks in the game, which is located in the "Other" section on the music selection screen.
Here are some examples of those kind of tracks:

Fossil Fighters OST - Battle Start
Golden Sun OST - Final Boss
(Even though Isaac is an assist trophy, his soundtracks should be located in the "Others" section.)
Monster Hunter OST - Rathalos
Snipperclips OST - Noisy Notebook
Galaga Medley
(There are no Galaga characters, unless this is located with PAC-MAN's selection of music tracks.)

So if C418's MC tracks can actually get in, because these five I mentioned up above can happen without a representing fighter, then MC soundtracks could happen. Think about this, what if Banjo is the character that was chosen and got over 20 Banjo-Kazooie tracks from Microsoft? They could possibly throw a couple or a few of the MC soundtracks in his pack, because maybe Microsoft would like to represent a little bit of one of their biggest gaming franchises they own; I have to say, some of the MC soundtracks are pretty neat.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Something I was thinking about, with Sakurai and team adding in these little touches to the game to different characters (like Sonic takes damage in water now!?), IF Geno gets in the game, what little touch would you all like to see?

Going off the Sonic in water touch, I would love to see Geno float in water for much longer than others, since he is made of wood lol.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Things I'd want:

-Balancing for Bowser's special moves. All of them suck. There's literally no point in ever using them especially when Geno and Mallow's are that much better.

-Hard mode. Honestly a really easy thing to do with RPGs.

-At least one new playable character. I think SMRPG had the opposite problem of Chrono Trigger, finishing the playable character cast too early rather than too late. With Chrono Trigger, you have to hardcore grind with Magus if you want him to be any good and even then he joins during the end game side quests. There's plenty of time between Marrymore and Smithy for another character.

-Like someone else said, boss rematches like in the Mario and Luigi games.

-A higher coin cap. 999 was not enough and made some side quests a pain.

-More secret bosses. Culex is one of the coolest bosses in Mario history and I want more of that. I've always liked the idea of Frogfucious or Monster Mama being a secret boss.

-Post game content but I don't know exactly what...

-Finally, a highly stylized graphic style. I'm thinking along the lines of Kirby and the Rainbow Curse or Yoshi's Crafted World.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
New side quests, characters, and a fixed translation that from time to time will reference some of the original "Ted Woolsey" text. Also, I hope they don't get rid of Geno's ability to one shot Exor.
I don't care if they remove the ability to one-shot Exor, but they definitely forgot to move that; personally I don't care because I always beat Exor without using Geno Whirl, and yes, I always have Geno on my team and he's always here during my Exor fight. Exor is my favorite boss of the whole game, so beating him with one special attack seems cheesy, not fun, and lame. BUT, the Geno Whirl + Exor became a hit meme back in the day, so I'm not sure if they'd even want to remove it or not because of how funny it was. lol

I'd prefer a sequel. Smithy's dimension was NOT destroyed, the portal (Exor) to his dimension was destroyed. So in this case, the dimension of Smithy's homeworld is still alive. However, Exor can be rebuilt because remember, the Smithy Gang was shown to be rebuilt with the "MACHINE MADE" bosses from the factory, so that means Exor and Smithy can be rebuilt, too. Smithy's Factory was also not destroyed, it's still there because even at the end where Geno leaves his doll, the factory is still intact... sure, no one is watching it, but whoever works on the factory again, they have the power and technology to rebuild another portal like Exor to go back to Mario's dimension. Who knows, there could even be more than one Exor this time. This would lead up to the next story for a sequel.

If we do have a remake, I'm not sure how it'd work. Keep the orthographic view, of course, but possibly a remake would have to take sprites derived from the first three Mario & Luigi RPG games, or perhaps Dream Team's sprites? They'll have to add more, perhaps an extra boss or two? I never really had any ideas for a remake, mostly a sequel.

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
To be fair Lara Croft does have other skills beside guns. If drawing from the early titles she could have an acrobatics-heavy moveset, and she wields a bow and hook in the newer games.
Her main thing is guns lol. Like the bow could just be like links bow lol. Like i seriously don't think we should even consider her a possibility imo. Sora,Dragon quest rep, Geno, and even neku make more sense than her especially since sakurai doesn't want realistic guns in smash.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Something I was thinking about, with Sakurai and team adding in these little touches to the game to different characters (like Sonic takes damage in water now!?), IF Geno gets in the game, what little touch would you all like to see?

Going off the Sonic in water touch, I would love to see Geno float in water for much longer than others, since he is made of wood lol.
I can imagine a dog mistaking Geno as a chew toy...
All I can think of is Geno in the Living Room stage from Nintendogs. The dog is laying in the living room, then it gets up, looks around and ends up seeing the Geno doll... the dog is gonna break the fourth wall and mistake Geno as a chew toy by running towards Geno, grabbing him from its mouth and dragging Geno off the stage to where he gets KO'd. lol

And now the Nintendog assist trophy: When the Nintendog assist trophy gets summoned, it'll sniff the screen but senses something behind it this time... it'll turn around, look at Geno, grab him and take him off the stage, too. lol

domriver

Smash Lord
FULL REMAKE - Add new story lines - side quests - new characters - new bosses- HARD MODE like enemies have double the power - thats like instance KO from Smithy and Culex though. LOL

I think any time of remake i will be content! or a SMRPG 2 - Revenge of Smithy - anything to be honest. lol

D

Deleted member

I want Sephiroth to be a boss, I want one of Geno's weapons to be Sora (he can throw him at enemies to do damage), and I want two other weapons to be the Buster Sword and the Keyblade

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'd rather a sequel than a remaster.

I'd love see a sequel that takes the gang into Space to reunite with Geno and defeat a new threat.

Add in Rosalina as a supporting role as the ''higher authority" that sent Geno. Maybe even have Captain Toad/Toadette in cameos.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
For a SMRPG remake, there are really only two things I'd want to see added to the game: more side content, and a harder difficulty setting. I get that SMRPG is meant to be a sort of "Baby's First RPG" and I appreciate that, but what little of a difficulty curve it does have can be easily erased by abusing some of the game's more... broken tools. Peach in particular is just disgusting, being able to invalidate any and every healing item in the game with her low-cost, full-recovery spells. It'd be nice if they could throw us more "hardcore" players a bone by letting us jack up the difficulty, tuning up the balancing as it relates to the party members, and giving us more side content, especially optional bosses, to distract ourselves with.
More than anything, though, I'd just want them to keep the game's unique aesthetic, or at least don't default to the vanilla main series look. The art style is a big part of what makes SMRPG stand out in my and many others' minds, so I'd love if we could see that again, just touched up and presented in HD.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
I also would prefer a sequel. The Mario universe is large enough that it could easily make another unique storyline.
One thing I've always wanted was for Mario and co. to go through the worlds of Donkey Kong and Wario. SMRPG uses elements based on these series, namely with the Chained Kong and Booster. It's probably a long shot, as neither universe is ever visited in a main series game (save for the street names in New Donk City), but it would be a cool idea.

Also, there definitely needs to be a new party member, whether it's Luigi, Yoshi, or a brand new character.
As long as both Square and Nintendo are willing to try, there's so much potential.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
If we get a remake, i want the core game to still be the same, but have a new harder mode.

Better graphics obviously, i like the idea of having the isometric camera optional, id also say though, don’t just have each area “floating” (except nimbus land) have it feel like every area is connected. I wouldn’t be “too” against them making every area seamless and connected, and maybe make the map on the menu screen like a fast travel setup, though maybe I’d feel better if they had a “classic mode” and modern mode, classic has just the new graphics and stops the world looking like it’s just floating on the void, but other than that feels similar to the original.

Obviously character balances, and gear balances. make peach less op, mallow and bowser more useful. Maybe add some bonus extra characters that you need to finish special requirements to unlock.

For the hard mode, enemies do more damage and can even have their own timed hits mechanic, more hp, level cap is raised, new mini bosses that block certain areas, and no bonus flowers during battle other than the lucky one. Also status ailments carried over on the field.

Now if they ever created a sequel? I’d say go crazy with it. Maybe certain character combinations on your team give you special duo moves similar to the ML series (just ... not as goofy) and if mario and Luigi are on the battlefield, call theirs bros attacks just to reference it. Also have a ffx type battle system where you can swap out anyone on the fly mid battle, as well as gear. Maybe DON’T make it such an obvious “rock paper scissors” style like ffx, but at least have the mid-battle partner swap. Also each character has field skills that could help transverse areas similar to how Paper Mario did. And also, mario is NOT required to always be the leader/part of the battle.

*whew* typing that from my phone was a pain....

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Well both Vergeben and Hitagi have said there will be Minecraft content plus, every Smash Bros game has always had unexpected choices. Perhaps you can tell me of one crossover fighting game where the roster was what everyone predicted?
Minecraft content

Minecraft 'content'

content

and in this corner I show you the Spirits Mode which could easily get more spirits for free and how easy it could be to perhaps get another AT or a separate stage like in Smash 4. For everyone who says it's possible that it could happen to Geno or Banjo, it could also happen to Steve.

Also Hitagi isn't credible. You can't backpedal as much as he does and still be credible, and especially not after calling out youtubers for not fact checking and pulling a typical 4Chan leak with saying you don't care if people believe you or not.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Imagine if we get a main line Mario game, not a spinoff or a remake, and Geno is a major story character.

Just imagine how awesome that would be. At that point any arguments against his inclusion are nullified.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Mincraft will probably just be Spirits/soundtrack at most tbh. The entirety of DLC was selected by Nintendo, and Microsoft has never been good at sharing things.
While this would be good news, I'm just still wondering about the source of this news of Hitagi back tracking on Steve being playable.

When and where did such happen???

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
While this would be good news, I'm just still wondering about the source of this news of Hitagi back tracking on Steve being playable.

When and where did such happen???
Not sure, but tbh Verge is the only leaker I trust these days. And even some of his claims are starting to seem out of left field, even for Smash bros.

KanataLen

Smash Apprentice
been thinking about that remake today actually... it would be awesome to have the fights more fleshed out. the timed hits were great, but I would like to see that expanded and more animations involved, like the hammer would have two different swings when timed correctly and the button could be pressed again to deal even more damage. Also for the exor fight, if you did geno whirl to end it in one shot it would be even cooler to have it cut into an animated cut scene with some spoken dialogue. I've always imagined it being like the ultimate version of whirl since it's the only boss that can be one-shot by it.

all in all i would like to see its existing mechanics expanded and refined.

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
for a new smrpg i would like

- new updated designs to geno and mallow to show they have progressed
- new secret boss fight
- more in depth story, more locations
- johnny jones as the new playable team member
- completely new weapons for all characters
- long post game content
- some cameos from popular mario characters.
- luigi is also playable
- i want to switch characters i can play in the overworld ( i dont want to be just mario in the overworld)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom