• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robertroid

Smash Apprentice
There ... Is something I found weird about Geno's token.

I expected Spirits to also be used as tokens , however... Gamexplain found around 450 freakings Spirits for the moment. UI wise , this would be a nightmare for someone to pick the Spirit they want as an online token. ( I wanted my Camilla token tho)

I think only AT's and Mii costumes characters could get token at this point. I didn't saw a single token that wasn't that.

So I'm pretty sure the Mii costume come back... BUT ! That doesn't mean he must be a spirit.
They could do a spirit battle with him like Mii gunner with stamina , Fountain of Dreams , only stars appear or something like that ...

But why would he throw Geno as a spirit , alone? I honestly think he would look out of place without some other SM RPG Spirits (Custom Robo got more spirits despise beeing a New Mii costume) like Mallow , Croc , Bowyer , Frogfucius , Smithy , Exor , Boshi , Yaridovich , ect...

I honestly think that , if he is a spirit , alone , Sakurai just did it because it didn't need much time and had the Mii costume to do so. It's just one Spirit battle , it take less Time to developp than a trophy , and Mewtwo and Lucas were trophies.

But if they are others SM RPG Spirits... I dunno , I kinda have a Bad feeling about that ...

But also , Nintendo could just not Care at all , and ask for Geno anyway...
If that's the case that we can use spirits as tokens, I don't suppose it would be a problem if they do well the UI.
Take for example the wiki, if they organize the content like this as a minimum, it will be a breeze to navigate.

Burr.

Smash Cadet
Hey uh,literally just joined 3 minutes ago but i just came here to ask how likely do you guys think Geno will be in smash ultimate
with Nintendo choosing the DLC fighters i'm kinda scared it'll all just be giant advertisements for fire emblem three houses
and i just wanna talk about Geno too,i guess. i really love em and i think he's pretty cool.

TKOWL

Smash Apprentice
Hello everyone in this Geno thread! I did some Waddle Dee color concepts yesterday and I thought I'd do the same with Geno!

(From left to right) 1 is normal, 2 is based on Mallow, 3 is Frogfucius, 4 is Booster, 5 is Croco, 6 is Smithy, 7 is Bellome, and 8 is the statue color scheme.

Dan

Smash Lord
I feel like Sora fans are jacking our ship in a way, and Geno is an unfair punching bag to his supporters just cause he's a threat; literally so many KH YouTubers who have never breathed a word about Smash dying to have Sora in the game why? Absolutely no talk/speculation of him base roster, but with DLC announced they're going crazy. Here's my story (cause I know you guys are dying to hear it :rolleyes:):

Born in '94, essentially born into Mario RPG, an unbelievable fondness for the art/guidebook, remembering my brother and dad play it (the Birdo battle in particular), then probably pre-preschool picking it up and getting decimated by Croco time again and again (not understanding you need Fire Orb); at some point when I learned to read I must've read read the guide and finally learned to get Orb, and then it was mostly smooth sailing. There were still some struggles with stuff like an assumed unbeatable cake glitch (now that I'm older, understanding it was probably cause I wasn't putting out the candles), struggles with Axem Rangers/Czar Dragon (which is good to struggle with a game, cause it becomes all the more rewarding) and finally beating it on the Virtual Console as a freshman in high school years later (one of the few games I even bothered to buy on the VC).

In the middle of all that, Kingdom Hearts launches in 2002 and is a game changer; first, starting out getting the guidebook from the library, being flabbergasted that such a game exists where you can visit all the Disney worlds. It was the console seller for my household, and a top-three game up there along with SMRPG for me (only to be beat by Mario 64).

As an adult, it's unfortunate to see these two fanbases theoretically clash, but I am #TeamGeno untill he gets in... **** Sora. :laugh:

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213
Hey uh,literally just joined 3 minutes ago but i just came here to ask how likely do you guys think Geno will be in smash ultimate
with Nintendo choosing the DLC fighters i'm kinda scared it'll all just be giant advertisements for fire emblem three houses
In summary he MIGHT have a good chance since Nintendo acknowledged him and SMRPG this year, not to mention there are rumors within NoA doors that he MIGHT be playable (according to PolarPanda here). Also welcome.

Hello everyone in this Geno thread! I did some Waddle Dee color concepts yesterday and I thought I'd do the same with Geno!
These are really good! Mallow and Smithy ones are my personal favorites.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

(From left to right) 1 is normal, 2 is based on Mallow, 3 is Frogfucius, 4 is Booster, 5 is Croco, 6 is Smithy, 7 is Bellome, and 8 is the statue color scheme.
These are awesome man! I especially like the Smithy one. I'm also hoping that if he gets in we get at least one or two alts based on his capes from SMRPG.

Burr.

Smash Cadet
i feel we're going to warp to the bad timeline and get 2 new Fire Emblem reps,Steve from Minecraft and Slime from Dragon Quest as our DLC

don't get me wrong i like fire emblem but like,it's just too m u c h

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
and i just wanna talk about Geno too,i guess. i really love em and i think he's pretty cool.
I wouldn't worry too much. The fact of the matter is, Geno's still the frontrunner for the theoretical Square Enix slot, which is basically an inevitability at this point. In short, his competition all have less going for them and more going against them than Geno does. (Sora has Disney weighing him down and arguably makes the least business sense for Nintendo to pick for a variety of reasons, anyone from Dragon Quest has a lack of worldwide appeal and several different rights-holders to go through, etc.)
Really, this whole scare of Nintendo picking the absolute nightmare scenario for DLC is just kind of silly. Just because Daddy Sakurai's not the one picking the characters this time doesn't mean we're getting five advertisements that no one wants, especially considering that Nintendo has access to the Smash Ballot results too. The worry that we're gonna be getting five more Corrins throughout the next year or two really goes to show how much faith this fanbase is willing to put in the company that makes their games.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
These are awesome man! I especially like the Smithy one. I'm also hoping that if he gets in we get at least one or two alts based on his capes from SMRPG.

It's images like this that make me incredibly sad that he's not going to be DLC.

Edit: This is the stuff people should be tweeting at Sakurai; this character was made for Smash.

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
If you want my brutal honest opinion, he has very little chance. Like 5%. Some are gonna say he has a good chance and there's nothing to worry about but that's what everyone in the newcomer speculations topics think. Call me pessismistic but after Vergeben was proven right in the end, I'm not keeping high hopes for Geno.

Burr.

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't worry too much. The fact of the matter is, Geno's still the frontrunner for the theoretical Square Enix slot, which is basically an inevitability at this point. In short, his competition all have less going for them and more going against them than Geno does. (Sora has Disney weighing him down and arguably makes the least business sense for Nintendo to pick for a variety of reasons, anyone from Dragon Quest has a lack of worldwide appeal and several different rights-holders to go through, etc.)
Really, this whole scare of Nintendo picking the absolute nightmare scenario for DLC is just kind of silly. Just because Daddy Sakurai's not the one picking the characters this time doesn't mean we're getting five advertisements that no one wants, especially considering that Nintendo has access to the Smash Ballot results too. The worry that we're gonna be getting five more Corrins throughout the next year or two really goes to show how much faith this fanbase is willing to put in the company that makes their games.
im just trying to keep my hopes real low this time,because man that grinch leak ****ed me up real bad. im really really happy with ken but g o d d a m n it ****in hurted but he does seem likely,i cant think of any other character from Square Nintendo would choose other than any FF character,but i doubt it since we all know how much people "l o v e" anime swordsmen nowadays. but im keeping my hopes low incase Sakurai pulls another piranha plant on us and makes Boshi the Mario RPG rep.
or Booster

Dan

Smash Lord
im just trying to keep my hopes real low this time,because man that grinch leak ****ed me up real bad. im really really happy with ken but g o d d a m n it ****in hurted but he does seem likely,i cant think of any other character from Square Nintendo would choose other than any FF character,but i doubt it since we all know how much people "l o v e" anime swordsmen nowadays. but im keeping my hopes low incase Sakurai pulls another piranha plant on us and makes Boshi the Mario RPG rep.
or Booster
Give me a Booster Wario Echo and Boshi Yoshi Echo over a unique Piranha Plant any day of the week.

max_0888

Smash Cadet
They have upgraded so many mii costume to playable or assist. Geno not being assist, I have a really hard time believing he is not one of the 5 DLC characters. Plus, there are 59 assist trophies. The 60th is clearly Mallow ☺ Still hopeful here

Dan

Smash Lord
They have upgraded so many mii costume to playable or assist. Geno not being assist, I have a really hard time believing he is not one of the 5 DLC characters. Plus, there are 59 assist trophies. The 60th is clearly Mallow ☺ Still hopeful here
That is really the Ultimate point out there; he is definitely a character they would've done as an AT if he wasn't playable, so I guess there is still hope. I imagine Nintendo and Square got in bed with each other after Wii U had dropped, so that's the reason he wasn't one in that game.

max_0888

Smash Cadet
Geno is so popular, it doesnt make sense not putting him as AT or playable. They did it with the guy from virtual fighter and black knight...

I also have hope for Tails. They put Knuckles and Shadow as AT. Maybe Tails will be playable.

Burr.

Smash Cadet
a character i know will never happen in my lifetime or in this timeline is Arthur from ghosts n' goblins
another one i think would be cool is Akuma from street fighter.
or Dan Hibiki from street fighter,his final smash could just be him rolling then taunting 5 times,a true god of a character.

Dan

Smash Lord
Dream scenario: a Nintendo Direct next year where Geno and a Mario RPG remake/sequel are announced, a la Isabelle + AC Switch.

Geno is so popular, it doesnt make sense not putting him as AT or playable. They did it with the guy from virtual fighter and black knight...

I also have hope for Tails. They put Knuckles and Shadow as AT. Maybe Tails will be playable.
You would really think Tails in his blue mech is the most deserving AT choice if not playable, but Smash 4.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
Mallow WOULD be a great Assist Trophy. Square doesn't want a Final Fantasy Assist, for whatever reason, so why not pass it along to Mallow?

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
If you want my brutal honest opinion, he has very little chance. Like 5%. Some are gonna say he has a good chance and there's nothing to worry about but that's what everyone in the newcomer speculations topics think. Call me pessismistic but after Vergeben was proven right in the end, I'm not keeping high hopes for Geno.
Vergeben has implied numerous times that Geno was one of the names he has heard though, lol.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
He also said Zero was playable and there would be a Namco rep.
lol. The only time he mentione zero as playable WAS the time he mentioned namco, and he literally said that wasn't a leak. Go through his gamefaqs history. The post with zero said that it was a RUMOR he felt was sketchy but wanted to share.

Every single thing he outright leaked for Ultimate was true. Besides, your first message was implying he harmed Geno, yet he actually implied Geno was of the Enix names he heard recurringly.

Not to mention, I previously verified my source with Fatmanonice and a few others, and he has also heard Geno's name going around within NoA. There isn't a single credible smash leaker who hasn't mentioned him being in.

No he didn't...?
There was a post in smashboards gamefaqs, where he said Zero and Phoenix wright, but he outright called it an iffy rumor.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Mallow WOULD be a great Assist Trophy. Square doesn't want a Final Fantasy Assist, for whatever reason, so why not pass it along to Mallow?
Yup, in a perfect world we would have a playable Geno, assist Mallow, other characters as Spirits and the icing would be Booster/Boshi Echoes.

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
lol. The only time he mentione zero as playable WAS the time he mentioned namco, and he literally said that wasn't a leak. Go through his gamefaqs history. The post with zero said that it was a RUMOR he felt was sketchy but wanted to share.

Every single thing he outright leaked for Ultimate was true. Besides, your first message was implying he harmed Geno, yet he actually implied Geno was of the Enix names he heard recurringly.

Not to mention, I previously verified my source with Fatmanonice and a few others, and he has also heard Geno's name going around within NoA. There isn't a single credible smash leaker who hasn't mentioned him being in.

There was a post in smashboards gamefaqs, where he said Zero and Phoenix wright, but he outright called it an iffy rumor.
when you say he you mean your source or fatmanonice?

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
when you say he you mean your source or fatmanonice?
Mine, sorry for any confusion. I was saying that the source I hafe verified with trusted members fits with Geno being one of Verge's 7 enix characters. Verge implied he heard Geno regardless, it's just comforting to see multiple people with ties hearing his name if he's "irrelevant".

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
Alaphadream team, the people who make the new mario rpg games. They considered buying Geno and mallow at some time. Maybe that's why Geno appeared as a reference in mario&Luigi and the thousand year door.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Alaphadream team, the people who make the new mario rpg games. They considered buying Geno and mallow at some time. Maybe that's why Geno appeared as a reference in mario&Luigi and the thousand year door.
ttyd is my favorite game of all time and i dont remember a geno reference..

Dan

Smash Lord
Looking at the image of all his capes and being in the process of replaying Mario RPG, it saddens me the character's armor is not actually reflected in their appearance; if there's a remake, this is a must: I want to see Geno wearing the Happy Cape or whatever.

Please explain TTYD reference to those unaware and too lazy to use Google.

Honestly, the way Mario RPG came and went with nearly an entire game of original content is one of the more odd footnotes in Nintendo's history; I like Paper Mario, but I want to live in the alternate timeline where we got SMRPG2 instead. I guess it was inevitable cause even when PM was running under the SMRPG2 moniker it always looked like Paper Mario.

Last edited:

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
Sorry it was super star saga for the game boy advance. He was a cameo the game Where Geno was a tutorial guide for the stache smash mini game. A couple of years ago they wanted to buy their rights. Do i was making a educational guess. Maybe they didn't have enough or were unsuccessful so they put him in as a cameo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Geno has a good chance. Still believe in him.

If it's Sora I would be ecstatic though. Dragon Quest character fine?

But hoping it's Geno.

Dan

Smash Lord
Did Square just find the Superstar Saga thing petty enough that they didn't even bother? Could they have taken legal action over something that small?

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
A few days ago i ran into PolarPanda PolarPanda in a Discord Server and we started talking, I can confirm his source is indeed trustworthy. While i'm not quite familiar with the situation nor that i would place my eggs into this. i can tell you that what Panda is saying is not out of lies but honesty.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
Did Square just find the Superstar Saga thing petty enough that they didn't even bother? Could they have taken legal action over something that small?
Something tells me Nintendo just didn't prioritize it.

I've been playing Mario RPG again these past few days. I'm in Smithy's factory atm. Geno's Star Gun is so cool.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
So, word on the street is that Sakurai didn't pick the DLC picks, and that they're commissions specifically from wider Nintendo for a change. Is this good or bad news for our star boi?

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
So, word on the street is that Sakurai didn't pick the DLC picks, and that they're commissions specifically from wider Nintendo for a change. Is this good or bad news for our star boi?
The way I see it, this is the perfect opportunity for Nintendo themselves to properly talk with Square about Geno being playable. Not Sakurai, but Nintendo can make that deal happen given the companies' new friendship.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
This isn't meant to bash Sora fans, but I don't quite see what he's got going for him late in the game. Of course Smash can't include Disney characters, but Disney is such an integral part of Kingdom Hearts. If you just bring Sora and no Disney, it'll feel like half of him is missing. That is an issue I can see.

Also, I'm not sure how much trouble it would be for Nintendo and Disney to cooperate. But I will assume that it probably won't be easy. And I'm not really sure if Nintendo or Sakurai would want to go through all of that trouble to include another anime swordsman sword wielding fighter.

Yes, Sora is a great character, but there are legal boundaries and territories that will certainly be troubling for Nintendo to navigate. Implementing Sora without any Disney properties potentially presents another issues. There are easier Squeenix characters to snag, like Geno and Slime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom