• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213
Last edited:

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
Guys all he said was in Vergeben words not mine. Genophobes" Geno u liking Geno doesn't mean u **** wooden dolls" They then including him called us a oppressed group. Even though we aren't and 4chan community and actual cults are worse.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Geno fans actually have things pretty good this cycle and even better than Brawl. I'd say most people are on our side this time along with a lot of notable people in the overarching Smash and Nintendo community. The worst was pre-DLC for SSB4. I don't think we've ever been the most hated fanbase either. Ashley is a good example of a fanbase that has it a lot worse, Toad too.

Anyways, just realized that Dragon Quest XI would be almost a year old port by the time the DLC characters started coming out and that a Switch port wasn't even announced until September, roughly two months ago. The time frame really doesn't line up because that would suggest that the decision was made very recently while the Square Enix character was implied as far back as late July. Vergeben has been implying that the SE character would be one of the first DLC characters revealed which means that even if Dragon Quest XI Switch was announced at this year's E3, it would have still been too early. Again, this is all on top of Square Enix not having a clue when they'll even be able to get to porting it because of all the work they're pouring into KH III.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
He just now posted in reply clarifying his response.

Well it was indeed him saying something nasty.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77183753?jumpto=68#68

Seems he could use a quick dictionary search.
Honestly, I just think that's kind of funny, although technically the theoretical term would have to be "Genophiles".

On that note, this is my first post in this thread since the Direct! ...What a note to come back on. I'm actually planning on making a larger post later on when I'm more awake about everything that has happened, but the TL;DR is that I'm neither surprised nor disappointed with how the Direct went because I wasn't expecting anything more than what box theory suggested anyway. I have a lot more to say than just that, though!

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice
I'm thinking Sora has a better chance because Square is promoting Kingdom Hearts III and possibly port of 1.5 and 2.5 to the switch (my assumption). But for the love of the wishful stars, I'll take Geno over Sora any day!

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I'm thinking Sora has a better chance because Square is promoting Kingdom Hearts III and possibly port of 1.5 and 2.5 to the switch (my assumption). But for the love of the wishful stars, I'll take Geno over Sora any day!
If KH ISNT coming to Switch, it would make little sense for Nintendo to go out of their way to discuss with Disney AND Enix just to use him as opposed to a characcter theu already discussed and earned rights to use.

Given Geno's position, it's on Nintendo to choose him, not really Enix. You did admit your assumption, and I agree. It depends on that if.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Maybe it's better for Nintendo to get Geno as a DLC character than Sakurai. I mean Sakurai can easily snag any character he want basically, but Geno is in a weird Nintendo-Square situation, so wouldn't it seem likely that Nintendo themselves would hash out the issue once and for all? Nintendo themselves talking with Square seems pretty likely to me,

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
You must not be keeping up with this thread at all.

You don't need to worry about Sora

MattX20

Smash Hero
The main issue for Sora is Disney ownership and the expensive licensing fees associated with him and potentially other Disney characters making cameos.

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice
You don't need to worry about Sora
I thought I didn't have to worry about Piranha Plant, and yet here we are.

If anything, Sakurai has taught us that we shouldn't dismiss any character for any reason. It's Smash and he can move every mountain in his way to make stuff he wants to happen happen.

paper roxy

Smash Ace

If anything, Sakurai has taught us that we shouldn't dismiss any character for any reason. It's Smash and he can move every mountain in his way to make stuff he wants to happen happen.
sora isnt likely because of legal reasons and lack of serious representation on nintendo consoles, piranha plant wasnt seen as likely because it was a mario enemy and we didnt know those could be fighters. two different situations entirely tbh

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
sora isnt likely because of legal reasons and lack of serious representation on nintendo consoles, piranha plant wasnt seen as likely because it was a mario enemy and we didnt know those could be fighters. two different situations entirely tbh
Additionally, I don't think people were implying Sora is 100% deconfirmed, just that he has less going for him than Geno does. I'd like both characters, but I genuinely believe Geno currently has more in his favor.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord

You seriously think the piranha plant situation is anything like this?

That character wasn’t “chosen over Geno” for christ’s sake. We’re discussing square enix representation of which we are certain to get

ErenJager

Smash Champion
The main issue for Sora is Disney ownership and the expensive licensing fees associated with him and potentially other Disney characters making cameos.
And Nintendo and Disney are theme park competitors now.
And they kicked Mario outta Wreck it Ralph.
Sora aint comin.

It's Geno or a Dragon Quest character.
If it was DQ it'd probably be a create-a-hero/ avatar. With a fixed move set that involved slime as a monster recruit/ game mechanic.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Don't forget about that tweet from Nintendo of America specifically "Are you team Mallow or team Geno?" that happened this year. Geno also had a Mii costume, and neither Kingdom Hearts or Dragon Quest received any representation in Smash 4. The only other Square Enix character to get a Mii costume was Chocobo, but if Nintendo is choosing the DLC characters and Vergeben said that there will be a SE character, Nintendo would choose the one that they would benefit from. The only two SE reps that would benefit Nintendo are Mallow and Geno. For all we know, the DLC characters could have been locked in a while back and we just found out about it recently when Sakurai tweeted that

You have my support for Geno for Smash Ultimate DLC! Bring back our puppet!

Graf von Tirol

Smash Cadet
I figured it already was locked shortly after the DLC pack was announced.

Would be nice if Mallow would be represented as a spirit. An effect to have a character-unique thought appear on-screen (a la Psychopath) would be great.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
I figured it already was locked shortly after the DLC pack was announced.

Would be nice if Mallow would be represented as a spirit. An effect to have a character-unique thought appear on-screen (a la Psychopath) would be great.
I'm surprised we haven't seen ANY Super Mario RPG Spirits, aside from that split second Geno game token (which may or may not be a Spirit).
Sure, there are probably a lot of games that we haven't seen spirits for yet, but even so.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm surprised we haven't seen ANY Super Mario RPG Spirits, aside from that split second Geno game token (which may or may not be a Spirit).
Sure, there are probably a lot of games that we haven't seen spirits for yet, but even so.
Considering we’ve seen Spirits for stuff like Teleroboxer, I agree.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I guess I’ll have these games to keep me occupied if/when/until Geno is announced for DLC:

Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum ‘n’ Fun
Red Dead Redemption 2
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Super Mario Party
SNK 40th Anniversary Collection
Namco Museum: Arcade Pac
Sega Genesis Classics Collection (Switch version)

At the end of the day though, all we can do is hope and never give up. :)

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
Just scrolling through the comments trying to catch back up to find that image. My heart actually broke.

I then see this.
I was wrong. I was tricked with Smash Wii U screenshot

I knew it looked off, but I never owned Smash Wii U

My heart cant take much more of this. Its worth noting that Nintendo, other than 2015 for Iwata's passing, has announced at least something at the TGA. I will be streaming it, I'm fairly confident Nintendo will announce something, hoping for smash.

Side note, that statement about development time for characters, was because wii u and 3ds had different development teams for rendering. Not a problem we face now. I also think PP looks complete.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Just scrolling through the comments trying to catch back up to find that image. My heart actually broke.

I then see this.

My heart cant take much more of this. Its worth noting that Nintendo, other than 2015 for Iwata's passing, has announced at least something at the TGA. I will be streaming it, I'm fairly confident Nintendo will announce something, hoping for smash.

Side note, that statement about development time for characters, was because wii u and 3ds had different development teams for rendering. Not a problem we face now. I also think PP looks complete.
I don't think it will even matter if Geno's mii costume is in. In fact, I kind of expect it. It seems they straight 1:1 ported most of the old mii costumes. Even Chrom's is back despite his inclusion.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
There ... Is something I found weird about Geno's token.

I expected Spirits to also be used as tokens , however... Gamexplain found around 450 freakings Spirits for the moment. UI wise , this would be a nightmare for someone to pick the Spirit they want as an online token. ( I wanted my Camilla token tho)

I think only AT's and Mii costumes characters could get token at this point. I didn't saw a single token that wasn't that.

So I'm pretty sure the Mii costume come back... BUT ! That doesn't mean he must be a spirit.
They could do a spirit battle with him like Mii gunner with stamina , Fountain of Dreams , only stars appear or something like that ...

But why would he throw Geno as a spirit , alone? I honestly think he would look out of place without some other SM RPG Spirits (Custom Robo got more spirits despise beeing a New Mii costume) like Mallow , Croc , Bowyer , Frogfucius , Smithy , Exor , Boshi , Yaridovich , ect...

I honestly think that , if he is a spirit , alone , Sakurai just did it because it didn't need much time and had the Mii costume to do so. It's just one Spirit battle , it take less Time to developp than a trophy , and Mewtwo and Lucas were trophies.

But if they are others SM RPG Spirits... I dunno , I kinda have a Bad feeling about that ...

But also , Nintendo could just not Care at all , and ask for Geno anyway...

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
There ... Is something I found weird about Geno's token.

I expected Spirits to also be used as tokens , however... Gamexplain found around 450 freakings Spirits for the moment. UI wise , this would be a nightmare for someone to pick the Spirit they want as an online token. ( I wanted my Camilla token tho)

I think only AT's and Mii costumes characters could get token at this point. I didn't saw a single token that wasn't that.

So I'm pretty sure the Mii costume come back... BUT ! That doesn't mean he must be a spirit.
They could do a spirit battle with him like Mii gunner with stamina , Fountain of Dreams , only stars appear or something like that ...

But why would he throw Geno as a spirit , alone? I honestly think he would look out of place without some other SM RPG Spirits (Custom Robo got more spirits despise beeing a New Mii costume) like Mallow , Croc , Bowyer , Frogfucius , Smithy , Exor , Boshi , Yaridovich , ect...

I honestly think that , if he is a spirit , alone , Sakurai just did it because it didn't need much time and had the Mii costume to do so. It's just one Spirit battle , it take less Time to developp than a trophy , and Mewtwo and Lucas were trophies.

But if they are others SM RPG Spirits... I dunno , I kinda have a Bad feeling about that ...

But also , Nintendo could just not Care at all , and ask for Geno anyway...
I don’t really understand the point you’re trying to make.

D

Deleted member

I just quickly want to go over all the possibilities people have brought up for the Square Enix character that Vergeben mentioned: Geno, Sora, a Final Fantasy character (most likely Noctis or even Chocobo since he got a Mii costume in Smash 4), and a Dragon Quest character.

Final Fantasy character: Final Fantasy still only has two music tracks. The director of the music tracks left, and the music tracks for FF are very expensive. This makes another FF character unlikely, meaning that we can rule out Noctis and Chocobo, who was the only other SE character to get a Mii costume in Smash 4 besides Geno.

Sora: Sora is a Square Enix character that is owned by Disney, so he would be a Disney rep, and Vergeben specifically said a Square Enix rep. As ErenJager mentioned recently, Mario does not have a cameo in a new Wreckit-Ralph movie. This means that Nintendo and Disney do not have a very good relationship at the moment, so we can rule out Sora.

This leaves us with the only two possibilities left for the Square Enix rep: Geno and a Dragon Quest character.

Geno: Geno is not deconfirmed and is not a spirit, but he is a battle icon/token. Since Geno is not deconfirmed, the fact that Sakurai was able to show him in the direct in his official art means that he has the rights to the character. Since Nintendo is choosing the DLC characters, they would choose the SE character that would benefit them, the only two being Geno and Mallow. Super Mario RPG was available on the SNES Classic, so this means that they got permission from Square Enix to use Super Mario RPG again. Nintendo of America also made that tweet this year, "Are you team Mallow or team Geno?"

Dragon Quest character: Not much to say on this other than that this is the only other possibility besides Geno. We do not know if Sakurai has the rights to a DQ character, and Dragon Quest did not receive any representation in a Smash game before Ultimate.

So, the only two SE characters that still have a chance of being playable: A character who had a Mii costume in Smash 4, one of the 3 most requested characters in Smash history, and a character that the creator of Smash himself stated that he wanted to put in VS a character who was leaked by LeakyPandy

Last edited by a moderator:

paper roxy

Smash Ace
I just quickly want to go over all the possibilities people have brought up for the Square Enix character that Vergeben mentioned: Geno, Sora, a Final Fantasy character (most likely Noctis or even Chocobo since he got a Mii costume in Smash 4), and a Dragon Quest character.

Final Fantasy character: Final Fantasy still only has two music tracks. The director of the music tracks left, and the music tracks for FF are very expensive. This makes another FF character unlikely, meaning that we can rule out Noctis and Chocobo, who was the only other SE character to get a Mii costume in Smash 4 besides Geno.

Sora: Sora is a Square Enix character that is owned by Disney, so he would be a Disney rep, and Vergeben specifically said a Square Enix rep. As ErenJager mentioned recently, Mario does not have a cameo in a new Wreckit-Ralph movie. This means that Nintendo and Disney do not have a very good relationship at the moment, so we can rule out Sora.

This leaves us with the only two possibilities left for the Square Enix rep: Geno and a Dragon Quest character.

Geno: Geno is not deconfirmed and is not a spirit, but he is a battle icon/token. Since Geno is not deconfirmed, the fact that Sakurai was able to show him in the direct in his official art means that he has the rights to the character. Since Nintendo is choosing the DLC characters, they would choose the SE character that would benefit them, the only two being Geno and Mallow. Super Mario RPG was available on the SNES Classic, so this means that they got permission from Square Enix to use Super Mario RPG again. Nintendo of America also made that tweet this year, "Are you team Mallow or team Geno?"

Dragon Quest character: Not much to say on this other than that this is the only other possibility besides Geno. We do not know if Sakurai has the rights to a DQ character, and Dragon Quest did not receive any representation in a Smash game before Ultimate.

So, the only two SE characters that still have a chance of being playable: A character who had a Mii costume in Smash 4, one of the 3 most requested characters in Smash history, and a character that the creator of Smash himself stated that he wanted to put in VS a character who was leaked by LeakyPandy
saying the only bad blood between disney and nintendo was "mario not being in wreck it ralph 2" is kinda oversimplifying it. iirc it was nintendo denying a request from disney for mario to be in, and on top of that theyre gonna be themepark rivals, and movie rivals when/if that mario movie ever comes out

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Mario was going to be in the first Wreck-It Ralph like Bowser was, but the creators couldn't find a way to put him in without it feeling "forced," so we just got Mario referenced by Felix.

D

Deleted member

Update: Chrono is another possibility, but not as likely as Geno or a Dragon Quest character, and Chrono Trigger didn't receive any representation in Smash 4

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Update: Chrono is another possibility, but not as likely as Geno or a Dragon Quest character, and Chrono Trigger didn't receive any representation in Smash 4
Also, its kinda in legal hell from what I recall.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
DLC will probably be Bold Luminary, Byleth, Katalina, a Gen 8 Pokemon, and Steve.

Because you know what this game filled with anime swordsmen needs? MOAR ANIME SWORDSMEN.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
DLC will probably be Bold Luminary, Byleth, Katalina, a Gen 8 Pokemon, and Steve.

Because you know what this game filled with anime swordsmen needs? MOAR ANIME SWORDSMEN.
I doubt it, since we only got one new swordsman this game, and said swordsman was an echo.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I dont know why, but as every day goes on i feel more pissed off at how Nintendo is gonna **** up this DLC roster
Why? If there's anybody I trust with DLC, it's Nintendo themselves. Their DLC game has been ON-POINT for a while and I love it. If anything, Nintendo will make smart DLC decisions. They look into what will sell well.

Paperluigi11

Smash Cadet
You know, with the news that Square is having a rough year financially, it makes even more sense that Geno would be held for the paid DLC, as opposed to making the base roster. I also feel that the news could increase the possibility of us actually getting 2 square reps, although I still would find that unlikely.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
You know, with the news that Square is having a rough year financially, it makes even more sense that Geno would be held for the paid DLC, as opposed to making the base roster. I also feel that the news could increase the possibility of us actually getting 2 square reps, although I still would find that unlikely.
In retrospect, Geno and Banjo should have been huge red flags (to me, at least) that the Grinch Leak was fake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom