• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

link2702

Smash Champion
Man ultimate really needs to hurry up.... i need something consistently good to preoccupy myself after all that’s happened recently

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Found this about Dragon Quest:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ollieb...ing-westward-sometime-next-year/#7e798e3d514e

Apparently, while Dragon Quest Builders 2 and Dragon Quest XI are coming to the Switch in all regions, it's a big question mark when for both right now, with Dragon Quest XI being even more ambiguous because Square Enix admits that most of their resources are currently going towards Kingdom Hearts III and everything else is low priority. This is pretty important to note given Nintendo's history of promotional characters in Smash. Corrin in Smash and Fire Emblem Fates in North America were released in the same month. Going further back, Roy's game, the Binding Blade, was released about 3 months after Melee. This said, without a solid release date and Square Enix's noteriety for delaying games, I don't think Nintendo would choose a Dragon Quest character as promotional DLC.

Compare this to characters like K. Rool and Simon. If you wanted to support these characters, you could go out and buy a NES or SNES Classic right now. Ridley, Isabelle, Chrom, Dark Samus (if you own a Wii U), Daisy, Ken, and Inceniroar all have games that are readily available to consumers too. The connection is immediate and I think Nintendo is more interested in this prospect than games or ports that might even eventually be cancelled. Like I said yesterday, Geno, Dixie, and Bandana Dee are three popular characters that have immediate payout for Nintendo while an argument could be made for Shantae too.

Remember how in the SSB4 days how Nintendo would basically attach ads to the returning veteran characters? It's the same premise here. They did it for Olimar, Luigi, Peach, Toon Link, Sonic, Marth, Zelda, Dedede, and Diddy. There's a good chance they'll do this for DLC this time too. That said, unclench your buttcheeks because this is looking positive on our end.

Last edited:

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord
I could just imagine the biggest middle finger Nintendo could give us if they choose a Fire Emblem character as the last DLC fighter instead of Geno, i would honestly feel sick to my stomach

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
From a business perspective, Geno would be a smart choice for Nintendo. The SNES Classic has 21 games, 14 are flat out owned by Nintendo meaning they get the lion's share of profits. It also costs 80 bucks, about 20 more than your typical Switch game.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I'm really not seeing how some people can see this as anything but positive for Geno. People have this idea that Sakurai has this massive Geno bias because he's acknowledged him before and stated that he would be cool in Smash, but where has that gotten us? In the end its just hurt us more to hear him bring up that he wanted Geno playable in basically every Smash game but then ended up not adding him.

I'll admit that Sakurai frequently discussing Geno is what probably made his fanbase so massive and longlasting (it gave us legs to stand on), but I think Nintendo will be the ones who push this into actual existence. It's no coincidence that after the Smash ballot we've gotten a Geno costume, SMRPG on the SNES Classic, and mention of Geno on an obscure anniverary on social media. Nintendo has been listening these last few years and knows what we want and also still wants to do what is best for them. Adding DQ and Sora are not in their best interest, especially on top of the existing Square character in Cloud who already has very little to no presence on Nintendo platforms these days.

Geno is MUCH more popular than Sora and Dragon Quest with regards to Smash and has an actual presence within current Nintendo products, and that's what matters here.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I'm really not seeing how some people can see this as anything but positive for Geno. People have this idea that Sakurai has this massive Geno bias because he's acknowledged him before and stated that he would be cool in Smash, but where has that gotten us? In the end its just hurt us more to hear him bring up that he wanted Geno playable in basically every Smash game but then ended up not adding him.

I'll admit that Sakurai frequently discussing Geno is what probably made his fanbase so massive and longlasting (it gave us legs to stand on), but I think Nintendo will be the ones who push this into actual existence. It's no coincidence that after the Smash ballot we've gotten a Geno costume, SMRPG on the SNES Classic, and mention of Geno on an obscure anniverary on social media. Nintendo has been listening these last few years and knows what we want and also still wants to do what is best for them. Adding DQ and Sora are not in their best interest, especially on top of the existing Square character in Cloud who already has very little to no presence on Nintendo platforms these days.

Geno is MUCH more popular than Sora and Dragon Quest with regards to Smash and has an actual presence within current Nintendo products, and that's what matters here.
Nintendo also killed Paper Mario despite what fans wanted because they didn't think they needed two traditional Mario RPGs. I'm sorry but Nintendo simply does not usually do what it is that the fans are requesting. I've been a Nintendo fan for way too long I know that I need to be extremely cautious about what is going on right now and not expecting a best-case scenario.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
People seem to be blowing off that Nintendo's DLC for the Switch has been really, really good so far too. I think we're going to predominantly get Ballot picks. From the sounds of things, Nintendo made a list and Sakurai got to choose 5 from that list.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
People seem to be blowing off that Nintendo's DLC for the Switch has been really, really good so far too. I think we're going to predominantly get Ballot picks. From the sounds of things, Nintendo made a list and Sakurai got to choose 5 from that list.
This thought is at war with the fact that Nintendo also has a track record of disappointing so I really don't know what to think anymore. I don't wanna put hope in somthing that maybe was just a lucky streak of good choices on Nintendo's part.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
If Nintendo decided the DLC, that's a good sign. We've got rumors of Geno DLC from NoA and they've made their first real efforts to put the game into the public's awareness in a very long time. I'm optimistic about our chances.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yet another thing I've thought about Dragon Quest: when has Nintendo ever stuck its neck out to promote a third party series? We've had two promotional characters in Smash and they were both from Fire Emblem. Bayonetta came to Smash a year and a half following Bayonetta 2. Ryu was 4 years after Street Fighter 4 on the 3DS. Nintendo had absolutely no plans at the time to bring any of the new mainline Final Fantasy games to Nintendo platforms at the time of Cloud's inclusion. Nintendo is under absolutely no obligation to do the advertising legwork for another company, especially when not even Square knows when they'll actually get around to Dragon Quest XI on the Switch.

domriver

Smash Lord
I am guessing this is the case. They probably asked for the Ballot results from Sakurai regarding Smash and chose their 5. IMO they would choose the top end ones. Which in case Geno would probably ( i think) be first in line. Along with 4 others. Sakurai well his bias will play apart in this. lol He would probably down play it by eh Geno? ehhh let me run a few tests and make a CGI and ill call you back on that. lol
As for the other 4?
My hopes are:
Banjo-Kazooie
A Fatal Frame Character
Madam Broodal (Mario odyssey)
Resident Evil Character
King Boo
Marina Liteyear
Tails
Dr. Robotnik
These come up to mind. Any one of these will be blessing for me ;) How about for you guys?

TBone06

Smash Ace
If anything, this should raise your expectations of Geno. It benefits him as an Enix rep.
I think if Nintendo is picking the characters and we just found out DLC was being finalized recently, it could explain why there are rumours going on at NoA. It could be completely unrelated, but it does make sense.

Paul Cesar

Smash Rookie
No one seems to be discussing the fact that Geno is probably much less expensive AND less of a hassle for Nintendo than any other new Square rep. Geno's likeness is already in Smash 4 and Ultimate. Meaning the negotiation and pricing to use him has already been discussed and settled long ago. They already have the rights to use his likeness as a mii costume, his song in the mii costume reveal trailer, his likeness in Ultimate as a player icon. All that's left to do is create the fighter.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
No one seems to be discussing the fact that Geno is probably much less expensive AND less of a hassle for Nintendo than any other new Square rep. Geno's likeness is already in Smash 4 and Ultimate. Meaning the negotiation and pricing to use him has already been discussed and settled long ago. They already have the rights to use his likeness as a mii costume, his song in the mii costume reveal trailer, his likeness in Ultimate as a player icon. All that's left to do is create the fighter.
Especially since they already have the rights to use his likeness in smash. He'd be the easiest transition into a fighter

Last edited:

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Is PolarPanda verifiable? They're saying Geno has a chance.
I've verified my source of info to multiple people here such as Fatmanonice. I'm not leaking per se, just giving rumors from within NoA. They've all just so happen to come true so far, so I'm putting some weight to it. Just knowing Geno is rumored within NoA is enough to sound like Nintendo would consider him for DLC regardless -- it implies they know his demand.

Last edited:

Graf von Tirol

Smash Cadet
With the recent remark about Nintendo determining the DLC, my prediction is mostly the same, except maybe Dixie Kong in lieu of Namco/Western character for the time being. I still am confident in Geno.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
I've verified my source of info to multiple people here such as Fatmanonice. I'm not leaking per se, just giving rumors from within NoA. They've all just so happen to come true so far, so I'm putting some weight to it. Just knowing Geno is rumored within NoA is enough to sound like Nintendo would consider him for DLC regardless -- it impliest hey know his demand.
Thanks.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
With the recent remark about Nintendo determining the DLC, my prediction is mostly the same, except maybe Dixie Kong in lieu of Namco/Western character for the time being. I still am confident in Geno.
It's definitely a big plus for more first party characters. Before, some people thought it would be almost nothing but 3rd party, but this likely means it's a mix with just a few 3rd party choices, perhaps even just 2. And Geno would make the most sense for an Enix rep IMHO. The only other options I can see are DQ, for marketing the recent games that are coming to the Switch who knows when but have WAY more legal obstacles or another FF character which I just don't see happening considering Enix has such a wide variety of franchises. I honestly think yesterday's news killed Sora's chances and bolstered Geno's. If KH3 isn't coming to switch, Nintendo no longer would have much of a reason for choosing Sora (he wouldn't even really be much of an Enix rep to begin with). As opposed to Geno, who they've acknowledged this year alone, and also included on the SNES classic recently.

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
Anyone who argues that this news helps Banjo’s chances must also believe, by the same logic, that it helps Geno’s chances too.

In fact, I’d argue his chances are better, because a SE rep in general is looking very likely.

ProfTrumanchez

Smash Cadet
NNID
ProfTrumanchez
3DS FC
0731-4753-9860
The bottom pic makes me think Mario RPG would make a pretty sweet anime, for the dub, have Ian Sinclair voice Geno and Brina Palencia for Mallow (cause I think a Chopper-like voice would fit him). :grin:
We talkin' like a "Whis" style Ian Sinclair or a "Dandy" style Ian Sinclair? :)

One month left! We can do it!

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Nintendo also killed Paper Mario despite what fans wanted because they didn't think they needed two traditional Mario RPGs. I'm sorry but Nintendo simply does not usually do what it is that the fans are requesting. I've been a Nintendo fan for way too long I know that I need to be extremely cautious about what is going on right now and not expecting a best-case scenario.
You ignored where I specified that Nintendo has been seemingly in tune with what the fans ask for within the last couple years. This is a "what have you done for me lately?" type of business. It's no secret that most of the Wii U era Nintendo didn't give a **** about what we asked for, but ever since the announcement of the Switch, they've started to pump out gold again, specifically giving us things we've been asking for. Luigi's Mansion 3 anyone?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You ignored where I specified that Nintendo has been seemingly in tune with what the fans ask for within the last couple years. This is a "what have you done for me lately?" type of business. It's no secret that most of the Wii U era Nintendo didn't give a **** about what we asked for, but ever since the announcement of the Switch, they've started to pump out gold again, specifically giving us things we've been asking for. Luigi's Mansion 3 anyone?
And let's not forget Metroid Prime 4.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Nintendo never does one or the other, Nintendo usually makes gold whilst simultaneously making bonehead decisions consistently throughout the years.
Yes the Wii U had a garbage Paper Mario and managed to wreck a Star Fox 64 rehash, but they also gave us Splatoon and Mario maker.

These days yes we get breath of the wild and Metroid Samus returns, but we also get Kirby star allies, Pokemon let's go, and axing the Virtual Console in favor of a subscription service that only has NES games that released 4 times slower that made it on the Wii which had a much more Superior Retro Game service. I'm just saying I trust in tendo to make good games but not making good decisions.

Last edited by a moderator:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I mean

Nintendo never does one or the other, Nintendo usually makes gold whilst simultaneously making bonehead decisions consistently throughout the years.
Yes the Wii U had a garbage Paper Mario and managed to wreck a Star Fox 64 rehash, but they also gave us Splatoon and Mario maker.

These days yes we get breath of the wild and Metroid Samus returns, but we also get Kirby star allies, Pokemon let's go, and axing the Virtual Console in favor of a subscription service that only has NES games that released 4 times slower that made it on the Wii which had a much more Superior Retro Game service. I'm just saying I trust in tendo to make good games but not making good decisions.
ExSqueeze me, Star Allies is great. And being in a Kirby Group; this is a general consensus.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I mean

But Kirby Star Allues was not that bad. Sure it was not ground breaking, but it was still at least decent.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
ExSqueeze me, Star Allies is great. And being in a Kirby Group; this is a general consensus.
No offense, but I wouldn't trust a fan group to give unbiased opinions. as a hardcore Zelda fan, I usually tell newcomers to the series not ask a fanbase what they think about the game for this very reason, since a lot of them are jaded fans who missed your traditional formula, while ignoring that this is probably the best performing Zelda in a long time. They actively try to turn people away because of their bias.

meanwhile I'm hearing bad opinions from more casual fans of Kirby. opinions that I agree with, wild hardcore fans are telling me it's not that bad. You know where else I've heard that? Sonic forces.

in any case I don't want to get too far off topic from Geno

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
It's definitely a big plus for more first party characters. Before, some people thought it would be almost nothing but 3rd party, but this likely means it's a mix with just a few 3rd party choices, perhaps even just 2. And Geno would make the most sense for an Enix rep IMHO. The only other options I can see are DQ, for marketing the recent games that are coming to the Switch who knows when but have WAY more legal obstacles or another FF character which I just don't see happening considering Enix has such a wide variety of franchises. I honestly think yesterday's news killed Sora's chances and bolstered Geno's. If KH3 isn't coming to switch, Nintendo no longer would have much of a reason for choosing Sora (he wouldn't even really be much of an Enix rep to begin with). As opposed to Geno, who they've acknowledged this year alone, and also included on the SNES classic recently.
I trust Fatmanonice Fatmanonice since he seems like a solid dude, so by extension I trust you. I'm not going to ask you to verify your source with me since that's kinda rude to ask, I just wish that papagenos papagenos Dcord chat didn't toss you aside like an empty water bottle when I brought you up.

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo hasn't been listening? Wtf are you talking about? Fans" we want a open world zelda game" Breath of the wild happened. Fans " We want mario to go back to how it originally was without cars" Super mario party happened. We want all characters to come back and get fan requested characters" Smash bros ultimate happened. There are some more. Nintendo has been clearly listening especially when it comes to DLC. People want extra or more content and what happens? Were getting more content aka DLC. So i still think most of the characters will be Nintendo characters for DLC like last time however the 3rd party choices will be most likely Fan requested DLC. So to sum it up most will be promotional characters and for marketing, while some 3rd party too. While 1 or 2 of them regardless if it's first or third party. 3rd party fan requested character (Geno) first party fan requested character (Bandana Dee) while the rest will be promotional/ marketing characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom